PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin on how to fix the dropped passes

Chucktownsteeler
12-08-2020, 01:47 PM
Tomlin On How To Fix Drop Issues: Catch The Ball Or Get Replaced

After two abysmal weeks of dropping the football, Mike Tomlin made things abundantly clear during his Tuesday press conference. Catch the ball or catch the bench.

Tomlin was asked how to correct the more than dozen of drops by Steelers’ wideouts and tight ends over the last two games.
“They can catch the ball or they can get replaced by those who will catch it,” he said during his Tuesday press conference. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZUI06kgC8U)

As ESPN’s Stats and Info calculated last night, Pittsburgh dropped seven passes in Monday’s loss to Washington. That’s coming off a week where they dropped about as many in their narrow win over Baltimore. It’s one of the most glaring problems with this team and it’s no surprise to see the Steelers dubiously lead the NFL in this category.

The only problem is the drop issues seem contagious. They haven’t been limited to one guy. Eric Ebron and Diontae Johnson may be the worst offenders but even sure-handed receivers like JuJu Smith-Schuster have put a couple on the ground against the Ravens and Football Team. If Tomlin benches everyone like he says, there might not be anyone left to replace them.
But Tomlin made it clear receivers need to do what they’re paid to do. Catch the ball.

“Like I often said, I expect guys to make routine plays routinely. And when there’s a pattern of that not happening, we gotta look at who we’re throwing the ball too. The coaching of catching the football for those who are employed to do it at this level is something I don’t have a lot of patience for. It’s not something that any of us have a lot of patience for. Those guys job is to catch the football particularly the routine ones. Where there’s a pattern, you should expect to see less opportunities. That’s just fair. That’s just part of what this business and our game is about.”

In the short-term, Tomlin’s lack of patience may mean more chances for guys like James Washington. Washington has been about the only receiver not to have a drop the past two weeks and is making big plays. He crucially picked up a third down in traffic to seal the win against Baltimore. Versus Washington, he caught a 30 yard pass down the seam and later, grabbed a short curl route, broke two tackles, and raced 50 yards into the end zone.

Yesterday, Washington played 38 snaps, more than Chase Claypool, and his highest snap count in a game since Week 6 against Cleveland.

At tight end, Ebron may see a reduced role for the more sure-handed and undeniably better blocker in Vance McDonald. That wasn’t reflected in the snap count yesterday though. Ebron played 57 snaps to McDonald’s 28.

Read more: Tomlin On How To Fix Drop Issues: Catch The Ball Or Get Replaced - Steelers Depot (https://steelersdepot.com/2020/12/tomlin-on-how-to-fix-drop-issues-catch-the-ball-or-get-replaced/)

Ghost
12-08-2020, 02:49 PM
“The coaching of catching the football with those that are employed to do so at this level is not something I’ve got a lot of patience for,” Tomlin said. “It’s not something any of us have a lot of patience for. Those guys’ jobs are to catch the football, particularly the routine ones. Where there is a pattern, you should expect to see less opportunities. That’s just fair. That’s just part of what this business and our game is all about.”

feltdizz
12-08-2020, 02:54 PM
Cant read the black text but I’m going to guess he said “catch the ball or catch the bench?”

Northern_Blitz
12-08-2020, 02:58 PM
“The coaching of catching the football with those that are employed to do so at this level is not something I’ve got a lot of patience for,” Tomlin said. “It’s not something any of us have a lot of patience for. Those guys’ jobs are to catch the football, particularly the routine ones. Where there is a pattern, you should expect to see less opportunities. That’s just fair. That’s just part of what this business and our game is all about.”

This seems like a pretty logical path forward to a team that probably has more than enough guys for the opportunities that are around.

But you do want to be throwing to the open guy too (even if his drop rate is higher than what you want).

Disco1981
12-08-2020, 03:00 PM
LMAO...He we go! Tough talk Tomlin 2 weeks in a row! Played like Dog**** against the Ravens 3rd team..Then turn around the next game and lose to the Washington Potatoes...All the while, Your starting TE ( who can't catch ) and Tuiit running their mouths all over social media about other teams...Typical Tomlin led team!

Chucktownsteeler
12-08-2020, 03:03 PM
I used to know how to fix the color but can't find it now. Pretty much says catch the ball or have a seat.

NorthCoast
12-08-2020, 03:06 PM
I like what he is saying but it won't be easy sitting DJ. But it will give others that have worked on their craft an opportunity (Washington).

(btw, it might surprise some who the WR is with the second most drops in the NFL. And it's a guy you would NEVER bench.)

NorthCoast
12-08-2020, 03:19 PM
The silver lining with this loss is that it forces the team to make changes. After all, they weren't going to do anything different as long as they were undefeated.... you know, you don't fix what ain't broken.

Sword
12-08-2020, 03:21 PM
I used to know how to fix the color but can't find it now. Pretty much says catch the ball or have a seat.
copy the text in notepad...then re copy it from there....

NorthCoast
12-08-2020, 03:24 PM
copy the text in notepad...then re copy it from there....easier... "Edit post", select the text, select alternate color ("A") in the toolbox.

NorthCoast
12-08-2020, 04:02 PM
was wondering if Roethlisberger even throws 50 times in practice leading up to the game.....?

Sword
12-08-2020, 04:03 PM
easier... "Edit post", select the text, select alternate color ("A") in the toolbox.
nice audible.....

flippy
12-08-2020, 04:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq7EB9Fbibw

Steel Maniac
12-08-2020, 04:23 PM
I'm waiting to officially hear that DJ has been benched and Washington is being made the starter.

NorthCoast
12-08-2020, 04:24 PM
business be boomin for DJ's new endorsement:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51yym4XCy5L._SX300_.jpg

Northern_Blitz
12-08-2020, 04:40 PM
easier... "Edit post", select the text, select alternate color ("A") in the toolbox.

You have to go into "Go Advanced" in the reply.

I find it works much better on a computer as my fat fingers have a tough time getting the color box on my phone (especially since the window asking to copy / cut / etc pops up right on top of it).

Young people and their technology!

Eich
12-08-2020, 04:55 PM
Is there a stat on how many catchable passes have been dropped these past few games? It's been really hard to watch.

Captain Lemming
12-08-2020, 05:09 PM
This seems like a pretty logical path forward to a team that probably has more than enough guys for the opportunities that are around.

But you do want to be throwing to the open guy too (even if his drop rate is higher than what you want).

I KNEW we'd live to regret cutting Switzer. HE had hands.
He got us no yards but excelled in the art of the "fair" catch. :)

Buzz
12-08-2020, 05:20 PM
was wondering if Roethlisberger even throws 50 times in practice leading up to the game.....?

Well, he didn't in the days following the Ravens game and leading up to the WFT game. He didn't practice at all in that span.

Chucktownsteeler
12-08-2020, 05:20 PM

Thank you!

NorthCoast
12-08-2020, 05:23 PM
Is there a stat on how many catchable passes have been dropped these past few games? It's been really hard to watch.I think you are asking what is the catch rate? Among receivers with at least 50 targets:

JJSS has the best catch rate of any Steeler WR, 72 catchable, 92% caught

DJ - 73 catchable; 78% caught; at the NFL level, this isn't starter material

Claypool -57 catchable; 79% caught, ... cut him a little slack, he's a rookie

Captain Lemming
12-08-2020, 11:28 PM
LMAO...He we go! Tough talk Tomlin 2 weeks in a row! Played like Dog**** against the Ravens 3rd team..Then turn around the next game and lose to the Washington Potatoes...All the while, Your starting TE ( who can't catch ) and Tuiit running their mouths all over social media about other teams...Typical Tomlin led team!

You do know you would be critical of ANYTHING he says right?

Truth is that is EXACTLY what he should say. I don't think you have a problem with "what" he said...its "who" said it.

NorthCoast
12-09-2020, 10:31 AM
Some receiving stats for PIT to help decide who should get more/less targets:

Success rate*:

JJSS
63%

Claypool
51%

Washington
47%

Ebron
47%

DJ
44%

McD
36%

*success: 40% line to gain on 1st down, 60% on 2nd, 100% on 3rd and 4th

Now looking at # of targets:

DJ

JJSS

Claypool

Ebron

Washington

McD

So, who should be getting more chances??

Ghost
12-09-2020, 11:02 AM
Why is Ben forcing throws to DJ, who's erratic at best? Ebron should grab some pine and let MCDonald have a shot. He was not a bad pass catcher in the past. Heck, he had 50 catches in 2018.

It's odd - beginning of the year I thought Claypool had a shot at offensive rookie of the year. At times, unstoppable. But he's dropped off with his consistency as well.

We worry about COVID in the WR/TE room when it appears as if a bad case of the dropsies has spread like wildfire.

Northern_Blitz
12-09-2020, 11:15 AM

Success rate*:

JJSS
63%

Claypool
51%

Washington
47%

Ebron
47%

DJ
44%

McD
36%

DJ

JJSS

Claypool

Ebron

Washington

McD

Great info NorthCoast!

Thanks for putting in how success is defined too.

On the surface it looks like DJ should be the one getting fewer targets and we should throw to JuJu even more than we do. And Claypool to a lesser extent I guess.

But on some level, you get targets because you're open.

I don't expect that we have this info, but I wonder how many of DJs targets are designed where he's the 1st read and how many are just that he's the guy that got open (because he is a very good route runner).

I bet most of us will be surprised that Washington and Ebron have ~ the same success rates. It feels like Ebron is trending in the wrong direction, but that could just be a sample size thing / flipping tails a bunch in a row. Or it could be that because I'm looking for Ebron drops, I really key in on them when they happen.

I think the cool thing about success rates is that it tries to give us an idea of something like "expected success" (because "success" is defined by an objective for the play that changes instead of a constant) that something like yards per catch doesn't necessarily give. It also means that consistency is favored over huge plays.

It's cool to see this for passing as I've only heard people talk about it re: running plays.

NorthCoast
12-09-2020, 11:32 AM
Great info NorthCoast!

Thanks for putting in how success is defined too.

On the surface it looks like DJ should be the one getting fewer targets and we should throw to JuJu even more than we do. And Claypool to a lesser extent I guess.

But on some level, you get targets because you're open.

I don't expect that we have this info, but I wonder how many of DJs targets are designed where he's the 1st read and how many are just that he's the guy that got open (because he is a very good route runner).

I bet most of us will be surprised that Washington and Ebron have ~ the same success rates. It feels like Ebron is trending in the wrong direction, but that could just be a sample size thing / flipping tails a bunch in a row. Or it could be that because I'm looking for Ebron drops, I really key in on them when they happen.

I think the cool thing about success rates is that it tries to give us an idea of something like "expected success" (because "success" is defined by an objective for the play that changes instead of a constant) that something like yards per catch doesn't necessarily give. It also means that consistency is favored over huge plays.

It's cool to see this for passing as I've only heard people talk about it re: running plays.Fair points NB. DBs play off DJ because of his quickness so yeah, he gets open. JJSS is probably being covered by a top CB every game. And they are sliding coverage to Claypool as well. It's interesting that they have been throwing to RBs in the last two games, maybe as an alternative to DJ,.... if only they could break a tackle or two. This could really loosen things up defensively.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-09-2020, 01:16 PM

Success rate*:

JJSS
63%

Claypool
51%

Washington
47%

Ebron
47%

DJ
44%

McD
36%

DJ

JJSS

Claypool

Ebron

Washington

McD

I think that these stats are as much (or more) about play calling as whether or not to target these receivers. How many times to we see Ben turn and throw it out wide along the LOS to his receiver who is tackled the second he gets the ball. Do we then blame the receiver for a non-successful play or does the OC say "maybe we shouldn't run that play ten times a game."

I've talked about the WR drops as much as anyone, but the offensive masterminds also have to realize that the offense being run is no longer working. The Washington game is the obvious indicator that defenses have figured this O out. In the second half the announcers kept talking about how the Washington D was all over every Steeler receiver. Include that every D seems to know that instead of going after the QB you get your hands up and you will bat passes up in the air.

Time to take advantage of what every D thinks they know. D line not rushing Ben means he has more time. pump fakes, double moves, and maybe the Steelers get those wide open TDs that every other team seems to get. Did you see Boykin;s TD last night? He was so open that LJ almost overthrew him making him stumble but he had so much time he was able to right himself and run it into the EZ. Steelers so rarely get those wide open TDs - think Washington TD earlier in the year.

NorthCoast
12-09-2020, 03:49 PM
Eric Ebron
@Ebron85
·
Dec 7
Humbling .. Humbling game ... i’m happy about this loss, the fire has been re-lit. we will be ready come SundayHey Ebron; there's an old saying that sometimes it's best to stay silent rather than to have your idiocy confirmed when you speak. starting to get a general distaste for this dude....

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-09-2020, 03:51 PM
Does it come pre-vaselined?

https://e.givesmart.com/events/jqg/i/_All/cmB3/?search=

feltdizz
12-09-2020, 05:18 PM
Why is Ben forcing throws to DJ, who's erratic at best? Ebron should grab some pine and let MCDonald have a shot. He was not a bad pass catcher in the past. Heck, he had 50 catches in 2018.

It's odd - beginning of the year I thought Claypool had a shot at offensive rookie of the year. At times, unstoppable. But he's dropped off with his consistency as well.

We worry about COVID in the WR/TE room when it appears as if a bad case of the dropsies has spread like wildfire.

Vince isn’t the answer.

DJ gets targets because DJ gets open. He just needs to look the ball on before making that next move.

Trust me, when Ben starts practicing again we will see the drops decrease.

Claypool looks like he hit the rookie wall. Teams know who he is now and he isn’t feasting right now.

JuJu is the head scratcher. He rarely drops passes and to see him drop that pass last game let me know something is off. Drips happen but its like we have been infected.

Disco1981
12-09-2020, 05:33 PM
You do know you would be critical of ANYTHING he says right?

Truth is that is EXACTLY what he should say. I don't think you have a problem with "what" he said...its "who" said it.

He did the tough guy talk after almost losing to the Ravens 3rd string! Then they came out and played even WORSE! All dancing around and talking trash on social media...Ya,He really got through to them! They're probably still scared lol

Buzz
12-09-2020, 06:28 PM
Vince isn’t the answer.

DJ gets targets because DJ gets open. He just needs to look the ball on before making that next move.

Trust me, when Ben starts practicing again we will see the drops decrease.

Claypool looks like he hit the rookie wall. Teams know who he is now and he isn’t feasting right now.

JuJu is the head scratcher. He rarely drops passes and to see him drop that pass last game let me know something is off. Drips happen but its like we have been infected.

Of course "Vince" isn't the answer; he plays on D.

DJ gets open better than anyone else, but doesn't do us much good if he can't complete the catches. At some point, you can't keep feeding the dropsies. Sit his butt for awhile and let him watch JW.

Ben practiced leading up to the Ravens game and there were plenty of drops. While I agree it will be better to have Ben practice, I don't think it's either the reason for or the cure for all the drops we've been seeing.

I think (hope) Ju Ju will be allright; most of the passes he's getting seem to come just before he gets walloped. Sure would like to see him utilized a little more like he was a couple years ago, getting back-shoulder throws on intermediate routes at times instead of all 3 and 4 yard dinkers.

Disco1981
12-10-2020, 06:57 AM

DJ gets open better than anyone else, but doesn't do us much good if he can't complete the catches. At some point, you can't keep feeding the dropsies. Sit his butt for awhile and let him watch JW.

Ben practiced leading up to the Ravens game and there were plenty of drops. While I agree it will be better to have Ben practice, I don't think it's either the reason for or the cure for all the drops we've been seeing.

I think (hope) Ju Ju will be allright; most of the passes he's getting seem to come just before he gets walloped. Sure would like to see him utilized a little more like he was a couple years ago, getting back-shoulder throws on intermediate routes at times instead of all 3 and 4 yard dinkers.

Another quality post by Feltz... Doesn't even know the players names! Why people on here interact with this Dumb ****, Is beyond me!

feltdizz
12-10-2020, 08:04 AM
Another quality post by Feltz... Doesn't even know the players names! Why people on here interact with this Dumb ****, Is beyond me!

https://media.tenor.com/images/f7354b8c66dcf774a0cd75d1806e0d56/tenor.gif

feltdizz
12-10-2020, 08:19 AM

thanks for pointing out my misspelling instead of actually addressing the topic. I’m guessing it means you don’t disagree with my assessment of Vance.

Buzz
12-10-2020, 10:37 AM
thanks for pointing out my misspelling instead of actually addressing the topic. I’m guessing it means you don’t disagree with my assessment of Vance.

I was trying to be funny. I agree with you about Vance (not Vince), I think we need to be looking for another TE, but this season, I do think it would be good to give Vance (not Vince) a few targets during the game. While not the greatest receiver, I don't think he drops as many as Ebron.

feltdizz
12-10-2020, 11:49 AM
I was trying to be funny. I agree with you about Vance (not Vince), I think we need to be looking for another TE, but this season, I do think it would be good to give Vance (not Vince) a few targets during the game. While not the greatest receiver, I don't think he drops as many as Ebron.

yeah.. (not Vince) doesn’t get much separation so he isn’t going to get the chance to drop a few. He would only get 1 or 2 targets a game.

Buzz
12-10-2020, 11:56 AM
BTW, Vance (not Vince) is the Steelers' 2020 nominee for the NFL Walter Payton Man of the Year award. Big honor.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2020/12/10/22167423/vance-mcdonald-is-the-steelers-2020-nominee-for-the-walter-payton-man-of-the-year-award-nfl-news

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-10-2020, 01:06 PM

I'm more concerned about what to do with Ray Ray McDonald. :D

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-10-2020, 01:12 PM
I do think it would be good to give Vance (not Vince) a few targets during the game. While not the greatest receiver, I don't think he drops as many as Ebron.

:p Yesterday a couple of my daughter's friends were here and one of them mentioned that she had used on her parents "at least I'm not a druggie" and I replied with "as a dad I can tell you that your parents have set the bar higher for you than hopefully she won't become addicted to drugs".

This statement about McDonald is the football equivalent of "at least I'm not a drug addict." :o

NorthCoast
12-10-2020, 01:16 PM
Gonna help the coaches and receivers out a little:

https://content.instructables.com/ORIG/FSA/99O9/HL5FS51S/FSA99O9HL5FS51S.jpg?auto=webp&frame=1&fit=bounds&md=2d9c01da971f6bba466bac4aa4d82268

Buzz
12-10-2020, 01:16 PM
:p Yesterday a couple of my daughter's friends were here and one of them mentioned that she had used on her parents "at least I'm not a druggie" and I replied with "as a dad I can tell you that your parents have set the bar higher for you than hopefully she won't become addicted to drugs".

This statement about McDonald is the football equivalent of "at least I'm not a drug addict." :o

But ... but ... but ... he has a vicious stiff-arm ...

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-10-2020, 01:46 PM
But ... but ... but ... he has a vicious stiff-arm ...

It's funny. The guy can go the rest of the season without catching a ball, get cut in the off-season, and when asked about what you remember most about Vance as a Steeler, 99% will mention that play.

hawaiiansteel
12-10-2020, 02:04 PM
It's funny. The guy can go the rest of the season without catching a ball, get cut in the off-season, and when asked about what you remember most about Vance as a Steeler, 99% will mention that play.

has he had any other good plays as a Steelers that would be memorable?

NorthCoast
12-11-2020, 03:13 PM
reading some comments elsewhere that maybe DJ is too soft to play WR in the NFL... hearing footsteps, running scared, afraid of hits.... maybe another reason for the drops?

feltdizz
12-11-2020, 05:30 PM
has he had any other good plays as a Steelers that would be memorable?
starting games and then doing a Duce Staley in the second half is what he is best known for besides the stiff arm.

hawaiiansteel
12-16-2020, 10:59 PM
START HIM

Diontae Johnson WR
PITTSBURGH • #18

Mike Tomlin's comment about Diontae Johnson responding "appropriately" to his benching and then being productive in the second half last week leads me to believe Johnson will get another chance to start this week against Cincinnati. In a way, the Steelers don't have a choice. The offensive line is a major liability, especially in the run game, so Ben Roethlisberger has to be the center of the Steelers offensive universe. That's not anything new to Pittsburgh, but Johnson's been his most-targeted receiver thanks to a recent stretch of six straight games with at least 10 targets (he even had seven last week when he was benched nearly 10 minutes in!). Cincinnati's secondary may try to mimic what the Bills did to the Steelers last week, but they're not as good. They've allowed at least one touchdown to a receiver in 10 of their past 12 games, and the Steelers receiving corps crushed the Bengals back in Week 10. I'd expect Johnson to have a shot at a good game, making him worth starting one more time assuming you don't have safer options.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/nfl-fantasy-football-week-15-starts-and-sits-sleepers-and-busts-for-the-fantasy-playoffs/

feltdizz
12-17-2020, 12:39 PM

He’s like Clowney when he was at South Carolina after he crushed the Michigan player. He couldn’t top that play so just sit out and live off the replay for a few years.

Mr.wizard
12-17-2020, 12:42 PM
Diontae Johnson going to go off on Monday night.

hawaiiansteel
03-01-2021, 03:37 PM
Diontae Johnson: Progress, potential and motivation

Mar 01, 2021
Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

For Diontae Johnson, his second season in the NFL had a little bit of everything. There were the ups and downs, the good moments, and the disappointments.
But overall, there was one thing that was consistent across the board.

Progress.

"I saw progress in all aspects of my game," said Johnson. "In my route running, knowing the game more, route coverages. Everything.

"Just by you knowing the coverage of the defense it lets you know what moves you need to make, what release you need to take, how much depth you need to get in your route. All those things come together just by you knowing the coverage of the defense. It allows you to play more smoothly and to not have to think. I have matured at every level, high school, college, and now. I feel like my play showed that this year.

"Other than those drops, my game was at the top and I felt like I played well."

'Those drops' Johnson referred to were something that plagued Steelers' receivers in 2020, and Johnson had his share. And it ate away at him. He didn't have to read the comments on social media to beat himself up even more, but he did because when you see your name keep popping up, it's hard to ignore. When someone is ripping you, even behind a keyboard, it's hard to ignore. No matter how hard you try, no matter what advice you get, it's hard to ignore.

"I let it get in my head," said Johnson. "I see people on social media bash my name. It's not like you don't see it. It's there. It's hard to put it to the side, but when you see it, it's going to be in the back of your mind. That is how it got a hold of me. I tried not to think about it. But it's in the back of my mind during practice. In the games I am like, 'Bro, catch the ball.'"

It got to the point where Johnson was pulled by Coach Mike Tomlin from the Steelers Week 14 game against the Buffalo Bills after dropping two passes in the first half. It was a turning point, where instead of letting it get to him and pouting and complaining, he turned it into a positive and rebounded, earning praise from Tomlin for how he handled it.

"By Coach Tomlin pulling me out of the game, doing it like he did it, once he did that, I knew I had to tighten up and catch the ball," said Johnson. "Point blank period. If nothing else I have to catch the ball. I had to get my mind right. I didn't throw a temper tantrum or anything, that isn't how you handle certain situations. Everyone handles things their own way. No matter what it is, someone is going to critique you. You just add it to the fire. You just have to shut out the noise. Like Coach (Darryl) Drake used to tell us, you just shut out the noise. You just have to focus on yourself and be you. Don't overthink everything, just be you. When you do that and shut out the noise, you will be fine.

"Once I did that, things started flowing for me. It's football. If you aren't doing your job, someone else is going to take your spot. I wasn't doing my job, which was catching the ball, so he pulled me out. I respect that.

"I bounced back. I had to bounce back. I had a lot of eyes on me, people counting on me. I couldn't fold. I came too far to just go into the gutter. I had to come back and show them I am still Diontae Johnson. I showed that and will continue to show that this upcoming season."

https://www.steelers.com/news/progress-potential-and-motivation

NorthCoast
03-01-2021, 03:49 PM
Diontae Johnson: Progress, potential and motivation

"By Coach Tomlin pulling me out of the game, doing it like he did it, once he did that, I knew I had to tighten up and catch the ball," said Johnson. ".......I didn't throw a temper tantrum or anything, that isn't how you handle certain situations .....

"

https://www.steelers.com/news/progress-potential-and-motivation

Wait, I thought Tomlin babied his players and couldn't get them motivated...?? And DJ obviously didn't attend the AB school of WR behavior when things aren't going your way.

Joel Buchsbaum
03-01-2021, 04:47 PM

HA :) ! I do like the I expect guys to make routine plays routinely. After all anyone can be thrown under the bus that way QB, OL, TE, WR, RB. But we are talking about dropped passes which by definition means a catchable ball.

NorthCoast
03-16-2021, 03:24 PM
Ya know, it seems some of yinz might get your wish this season with Tomlin having to prove his value as a HC. Given all the departures so far, Tomlin's going to have to coach like he did in 2019 for this team to have a chance for the post season. But it's a shame they are losing the younger rising players.

feltdizz
03-16-2021, 04:02 PM
Ya know, it seems some of yinz might get your wish this season with Tomlin having to prove his value as a HC. Given all the departures so far, Tomlin's going to have to coach like he did in 2019 for this team to have a chance for the post season. But it's a shame they are losing the younger rising players.

its part of the problem with kicking the can down the road. Eventually you have to pay up and with the cap going down it forced us to make some tough decisions.

whatever
03-16-2021, 05:39 PM

So what coaching did he do that year that was so great and why didn’t he coach like that the last 10 years when he was loaded with talent?

Steel Maniac
03-16-2021, 05:42 PM

I want Tomlin to stay another 3-4 years.

NorthCoast
03-16-2021, 06:16 PM
I want Tomlin to stay another 3-4 years.So you're finally changing your mind on him...wow.

Captain Lemming
03-16-2021, 08:11 PM
So you're finally changing your mind on him...wow.

Really North?
I dont know where he is going but it AINT changing his mind on his feelings about Tomlin.

Sarcasm, punchline. Something is coming.
He set the stage for a response like yours...he is about to swing.

https://forums.boxofficetheory.com/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=https://66.media.tumblr.com/cdaece1648c7ed55df5a89838ad84193/b1ef0d187bb8dd41-a1/s500x750/d083ee361bdde5137de445a9b746f89c59940be6.gifv&key=a127ef2ce1f2649176dab77edd8f9f4dee1104d77f599d d46306ced6172b761f

Steel Maniac
03-16-2021, 08:19 PM
So you're finally changing your mind on him...wow.

How can he prove he’s a total and complete fraud if he doesn’t go another 3/4 years? After those additional years of failure , even you guys will be begging for him to leave. And then we all can be on the same page for once. If Rooney is good with consistent post season failure , I might as well find the silver lining in it.

hawaiiansteel
03-16-2021, 08:22 PM
How can he prove he’s a total and complete fraud if he doesn’t go another 3/4 years? After those additional years of failure , even you guys will be begging for him to leave. And then we all can be on the same page for once. If Rooney is good with consistent post season failure , I might as well find the silver lining in it.

you were due for a Tomlin bashing.

how long has it been since the last time you bashed him, like yesterday?

NorthCoast
03-16-2021, 08:47 PM
Really North?
I dont know where he is going but it AINT changing his mind on his feelings about Tomlin.

https://forums.boxofficetheory.com/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=https://66.media.tumblr.com/cdaece1648c7ed55df5a89838ad84193/b1ef0d187bb8dd41-a1/s500x750/d083ee361bdde5137de445a9b746f89c59940be6.gifv&key=a127ef2ce1f2649176dab77edd8f9f4dee1104d77f599d d46306ced6172b761fLOL... I was setting him up for the slam.

hawaiiansteel
03-16-2021, 08:59 PM
I want Tomlin to stay another 3-4 years.

you should.

because according to your sig we will never win another Super Bowl without Tomlin just like the Dolphins have never sniffed another Super Bowl ever since Don Shula left.

whatever
03-16-2021, 10:15 PM
you should.

because according to your sig we will never win another Super Bowl without Tomlin just like the Dolphins have never sniffed another Super Bowl ever since Don Shula left.

Maniacs sig says the steelers can’t win a super bowl without Tomlin?

hawaiiansteel
03-16-2021, 10:20 PM
Maniacs sig says the steelers can’t win a super bowl without Tomlin?

yes, it's a lousy analogy.

but then Steel Maniac isn't that smart so it's not surprising.

whatever
03-16-2021, 11:39 PM
yes, it's a lousy analogy.

but then Steel Maniac isn't that smart so it's not surprising.

You aren’t smart enough to realize anyone can read his sig and know it doesn’t say what you said it does.

Captain Lemming
03-16-2021, 11:42 PM

https://pics.me.me/everything-is-proceeding-as-i-have-foreseen-it-quickmeme-com-when-56598085.png

hawaiiansteel
06-20-2021, 02:51 PM
Diontae Johnson uses tennis ball machine to work on drops

Posted by Mike Florio on June 19, 2021

Steelers receiver Diontae Johnson led the league in drops last season. To kick his drops habit, Johnson worked with tennis balls.

Via Joe Rutter of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Johnson purchased a tennis ball machine and practiced catching the tiny, fuzzy spheres shot therefrom.

“It’s a smaller target so you have to really focus on the ball and the object coming at you,” Johnson said this week, via Rutter. “That’s what I’ve been honing on to. Now, when I catch the football it’s easy.”

Then he corrected himself.

“It’s always been easy to me, but it’s keeping that focus and that confidence,” Johnson said.

Drops aren’t an official stat; unofficial numbers had him at anywhere from 16 to 10 last season.

“It was just focus,” Johnson said. “Just taking my eye off the ball that one split second. Drop the ball right there and it goes in the back of your mind and you constantly think about stuff like that. That’s the main thing — focus and making sure you look at the ball all the way in before you run. Focus on the catch first, run second.”

Johnson wasn’t the only Steeles players who dropped more than a few passes last year. At one point, coach Mike Tomlin vowed to replace those who can’t catch the ball with those who will. With a new season looming, Tomlin is willing to provide a clean slate to Johnson.

“Last year is last year,” Tomlin said about Johnson’s drops, according to Rutter. “Everyone starts anew as far as I’m concerned.”

If Johnson can put the drops behind him, he can thank a sport where it’s never good to catch the ball during a game.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/06/19/diontae-johnson-uses-tennis-ball-machine-to-work-on-drops/

Steel Maniac
06-20-2021, 05:37 PM
Really North?

https://forums.boxofficetheory.com/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=https://66.media.tumblr.com/cdaece1648c7ed55df5a89838ad84193/b1ef0d187bb8dd41-a1/s500x750/d083ee361bdde5137de445a9b746f89c59940be6.gifv&key=a127ef2ce1f2649176dab77edd8f9f4dee1104d77f599d d46306ced6172b761f

Captain, I’m quit content to go another 3,4 years with no chance at winning anything. I’m as content as you are.

It will just hammer home my point about Tomlin. And how could I do that without him being here another 3 to 4 years?

Let’s all celebrate Tomlin being here 3 to 4 more years. And I personally enjoy all the generated excuses for his playoff flops every year. I’m hoping he stays another 9 years then I can watch 20 years of excuses from the Tomlin tribe.

Let’s all celebrate Tomlin shall we?

Captain Lemming
06-20-2021, 06:02 PM
Captain, I’m quit content ?

He said what?
People telling Hawaiian to ease up on the spelling criticism on his poor soul but....

Did he just say, "I'm quit content"?

More than a mistake...one with meaning.....please let me swing at that low slow pitch!!!!

So many juicy directions to take...so much to play with, fighting sarcastic answer.....

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/ba/ba6587f1512986269e283b198778995aec39199e423f5b2ec0 53c83cdb402e29.jpg

hawaiiansteel
06-20-2021, 06:54 PM
He said what?
People telling Hawaiian to easing up on the spelling criticism on his poor soul but....

More than a mistake...one with meaning.....please let me swing at that low slow pitch!!!!

So many juicy directions to take...so much to play with, fighting sarcastic answer.....

my point is that if Steel Maniac is going to call other posters "idiots" he shouldn't butcher the English language and spell like one himself.

Steel Maniac
06-21-2021, 09:42 AM
He said what?
People telling Hawaiian to ease up on the spelling criticism on his poor soul but....

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/ba/ba6587f1512986269e283b198778995aec39199e423f5b2ec0 53c83cdb402e29.jpg

I’ll try to double check my spelling but these iPhones with their spellchecks get me sometimes. Satisfied? Lol

whisper
06-23-2021, 02:15 PM
You aren’t smart enough to realize anyone can read his sig and know it doesn’t say what you said it does.

:pYes, then there is that.

hawaiiansteel
06-23-2021, 02:23 PM
I’ll try to double check my spelling but these iPhones with their spellchecks get me sometimes. Satisfied? Lol

yes, I'm sure it's the spellcheck on your iPhone that changes "articulate" to "articulant" :roll: