PDA

View Full Version : 109-1-1 Record Since 2004

flippy
12-08-2020, 06:43 AM
We've only lost 1 game and tied 1 game when we were leading by 14 points. I'll take some of the blame here. I got comfortable going into the half. I'm sure many of you felt the same.

Maybe the players noticed our attitudes and they became complacent as well???

And can you blame us? Statistically, we had a 98% chance of winning that game once we were up by 14.

So much of this season is upside down. We started fast instead of starting slow. We're on a downward trajectory in terms of performance heading into the final quarter of a season. Maybe the injuries are catching up with us and there's such a razor thin line in the NFL and we need some of that health and players back to get our mojo going again.

It's really weird, but I feel like we've got a HOF QB on his final legs and everything depends on our D. They've got to get turnovers, they've got to score, they've got to limit points. We're going to need perfection from that unit come playoff time. And if they can execute to perfection and Ben can make just 1-2 plays that Mason or Duck couldn't make last year, that'll be enough.

It might have to be ugly, but I think we still have a chance. Yesterday was a fluke. It was our second wake up call in 5 days. Maybe we chalk it up to a bizarre schedule. Maybe we need to lose again so we end up with the #2 seed. Maybe some of the let down happened because we got a long break before the Ravens game. It seems to take us time to get back in sync and maybe we don't want another bye week. Sure players could use the rest right now, but I'm not sure that's better than getting into a rhythm.

Maybe Tomlin can really shake things up and give some of the older players and guys that need the rest a week off now to get them ready for the playoff run. Whatever it is, I think Tomlin is going to have to do his best coaching now because this team seems to be struggling in every phase of the game. There's such a razor thin margin between winning and losing. Can't wait for Buffalo. Can't wait to see who responds and how.

Starlifter
12-08-2020, 07:59 AM
Flippy, I’m about to type something I never thought I’d type.

The Pittsburgh Steelers are ineffective at running the football.

Let that sink in.......

To me, running the ball and controlling the clock is a critical part of the game. I can point to a lot of run heavy teams that win, not so much the other way around. It’s great we can throw with success, but if we don’t find balance quick - there’s no deep run in my opinion.

What’s frightening to me is, I don’t know the reason our O-Line can’t make holes. Run blocking to a lineman should be as second nature as breathing. We currently have a team where receivers drop a lot of balls and our big guys are getting pushed around.

That’s a recipe for disaster as yesterday showed.

Tomlin has his work cut out for him. I seriously doubt anyone is talking COTY after yesterday.

flippy
12-08-2020, 08:15 AM

Let that sink in.......

To me, running the ball and controlling the clock is a critical part of the game. I can point to a lot of run heavy teams that win, not so much the other way around. It’s great we can throw with success, but if we don’t find balance quick - there’s no deep run in my opinion.

What’s frightening to me is, I don’t know the reason our O-Line can’t make holes. Run blocking to a lineman should be as second nature as breathing. We currently have a team where receivers drop a lot of balls and our big guys are getting pushed around.

Tomlin has his work cut out for him. I seriously doubt anyone is talking COTY after yesterday.

Are we really even that good at passing?

Ben has to get rid of the ball super fast to avoid the shoddy protection.

Lots of balls get tipped.

Lots of passes go for 0 yards.

Ben’s YPA is at historic low levels.

And we’re dropping around 10 balls a game since the cold weather.

Ben can still make good throws and has some good zip, but he also is a little off on a lot of throws.

Id say our play calling in general is confusing to say the least.

I almost wish Ben sat for a game or 2 and we ran it 30-40 times to just work on the rest of the O.

Starlifter
12-08-2020, 08:21 AM
The offense is clearly dysfunctional right now. They have a few short weeks to right the ship. Fingers crossed!

Disco1981
12-08-2020, 08:31 AM
We've only lost 1 game and tied 1 game when we were leading by 14 points. I'll take some of the blame here. I got comfortable going into the half. I'm sure many of you felt the same.

And can you blame us? Statistically, we had a 98% chance of winning that game once we were up by 14.

So much of this season is upside down. We started fast instead of starting slow. We're on a downward trajectory in terms of performance heading into the final quarter of a season. Maybe the injuries are catching up with us and there's such a razor thin line in the NFL and we need some of that health and players back to get our mojo going again.

It's really weird, but I feel like we've got a HOF QB on his final legs and everything depends on our D. They've got to get turnovers, they've got to score, they've got to limit points. We're going to need perfection from that unit come playoff time. And if they can execute to perfection and Ben can make just 1-2 plays that Mason or Duck couldn't make last year, that'll be enough.

It might have to be ugly, but I think we still have a chance. Yesterday was a fluke. It was our second wake up call in 5 days. Maybe we chalk it up to a bizarre schedule. Maybe we need to lose again so we end up with the #2 seed. Maybe some of the let down happened because we got a long break before the Ravens game. It seems to take us time to get back in sync and maybe we don't want another bye week. Sure players could use the rest right now, but I'm not sure that's better than getting into a rhythm.

Maybe Tomlin can really shake things up and give some of the older players and guys that need the rest a week off now to get them ready for the playoff run. Whatever it is, I think Tomlin is going to have to do his best coaching now because this team seems to be struggling in every phase of the game. There's such a razor thin margin between winning and losing. Can't wait for Buffalo. Can't wait to see who responds and how.

We didn't have a 14 point lead at half!

flippy
12-08-2020, 08:48 AM
We didn't have a 14 point lead at half!

I heard it that this is the record any time we have a 14 point lead at any time in the game which we did.

feltdizz
12-08-2020, 08:59 AM
We talking bout practice?

https://triblive.com/sports/ben-roethlisberger-questionable-to-play-for-steelers-on-monday-with-knee-injury/

We’ve seen this before. Once we get back to practicing with Ben the offense will improve.

flippy
12-08-2020, 09:04 AM
We talking bout practice?

https://triblive.com/sports/ben-roethlisberger-questionable-to-play-for-steelers-on-monday-with-knee-injury/

We’ve seen this before. Once we get back to practicing with Ben the offense will improve.

If that’s why we lost, we should have just went with Rudolf. :)

SteelerOfDeVille
12-08-2020, 09:54 AM

i was just complaining about this last week - and i was NOT comfortable last night. it's almost like they know the stat, so they stop trying to score and leave it up to the defense to win....

SteelBucks
12-08-2020, 10:00 AM
i was just complaining about this last week - and i was NOT comfortable last night. it's almost like they know the stat, so they stop trying to score and leave it up to the defense to win....

Relying on the defense may be a problem. Any word on Spillane? I know Haden is in concussion protocol.

We’re dropping like flies on defense at the worst possible time.

SteelerOfDeVille
12-08-2020, 10:02 AM
Relying on the defense may be a problem. Any word on Spillane? I know Haden is in concussion protocol.

We’re dropping like flies on defense at the worst possible time.
to top it off, it seemed Alex Smith said, "who's that LB covering?" And between McKisick and the TE, there were 19 catches....

Buzz
12-08-2020, 10:34 AM
to top it off, it seemed Alex Smith said, "who's that LB covering?" And between McKisick and the TE, there were 19 catches....

Smart to be able to exploit the weaknesses of the D you are facing. And let's face it, we do have serious weaknesses there.

Buzz
12-08-2020, 10:43 AM
Yesterday was a fluke.
I have to disagree. The problems with our play that led to this loss were well-established. I'd say we earned it.

Chucktownsteeler
12-08-2020, 10:44 AM
Good coaching. As soon as Haden went down they attacked Sutton. Just good coaching.

SteelBucks
12-08-2020, 10:46 AM

Those two had a career day. I don’t know who had responsibility. Both Williamson and VW are great against the run, no so much against the pass.

Northern_Blitz
12-08-2020, 11:25 AM
If that’s why we lost, we should have just went with Rudolf. :)

I think last year showed us the going with Rudolph is not the answer (unless it's Duck v Rudolph, in which case it's about a coin flip). :p

Chucktownsteeler
12-08-2020, 11:28 AM
I think last year showed us the going with Rudolph is not the answer (unless it's Duck v Rudolph, in which case it's about a coin flip). :p

It probably won't happen but do you think about bringing in Dobbs a few series a game? At least there is a threat he may run the ball.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-08-2020, 12:50 PM
It probably won't happen but do you think about bringing in Dobbs a few series a game? At least there is a threat he may run the ball.

I don't like the idea of bringing him in for series at a time, but I would like to see him on 3rd or 4th and short. Let's face it, we aren't converting those anyway. Bring him in with Watt and Snell behind him and let the D figure out who is getting the ball. Right now no D will even consider playing the QB sneak after watching Steeler game film. It is either a straight handoff up the middle or a throw.

One thing that some teams do that I'd like to see them try is QB sneak and Snell and Watt run behind Dobbs to push the pile and him forward.

Northern_Blitz
12-08-2020, 01:24 PM

If Ben goes out, I'd have Mason on a short leash with Dobbs in the wings because I think if neither of them can pass well, then at least Dobbs has mobility.

Since we mostly pass on short yardage, I think I avoid taking Ben off the field.

Maybe my perception of Dobbs is off, but I remember too many ints / terrible accuracy throws in pre-season games to want him in the game over (even a possibly declining) HoF QB. It feels like taking Ben out in these situations takes away the only thing we do well (although I get questioning it because we can't seem to catch anymore anyway).

steeler_george
12-08-2020, 01:48 PM
a;sldfnafha pwrqklfnkldasnf;asljd fcasdfihewas;dk mcdjasdc lasdf ew sr93wjf38

that is what i think! me hitting every key on keyboard out frustration.. so pissed off ...

IT seems like everything that we were doubting and complenting all fell apart in one game... we are exposed. No deep ball, We are point there is no "next man up" on D, No running game, We are a dink dunk offense, all the negative of Ebron is coming out,....

Chucktownsteeler
12-08-2020, 02:10 PM
a;sldfnafha pwrqklfnkldasnf;asljd fcasdfihewas;dk mcdjasdc lasdf ew sr93wjf38

that is what i think! me hitting every key on keyboard out frustration.. so pissed off ...

IT seems like everything that we were doubting and complenting all fell apart in one game... we are exposed. No deep ball, We are point there is no "next man up" on D, No running game, We are a dink dunk offense, all the negative of Ebron is coming out,....

Well, I hope this can help you, but I'm pissed as well. If you have to drop a game at least this was in the NFC. We'll get Pouncey and Connor back for the Bills, as well as Canada.

Hopefully we get Haden back but I doubt it. Getting Nelson back will help and Williamson will get reps with the first team offense.

The Steelers are usually money in prime-time.

Ghost
12-08-2020, 02:31 PM

Dobbs hasn't dressed for a single game this season. With the depleted D due to injuries there is no way the Steelers are activating him (and deactivating another player) to the game day roster for a few plays a game. They need back-ups and special teamers more than a few gadget plays per game.

Chucktownsteeler
12-08-2020, 03:01 PM
Dobbs hasn't dressed for a single game this season. With the depleted D due to injuries there is no way the Steelers are activating him (and deactivating another player) to the game day roster for a few plays a game. They need back-ups and special teamers more than a few gadget plays per game.

Could have used a gadget play or 2 last night. Especially on the 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-08-2020, 03:17 PM
Could have used a gadget play or 2 last night. Especially on the 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1.

I was thinking the same thing. When the run game isn't working, why not throw in a jet sweep? Or a reverse? Even if the D sniffs it out it slows them down the rest of the game protecting against it.

Steel Maniac
12-14-2020, 01:43 PM

Let that sink in.......

So when the O-line has been ineffective for the last two years, who (in your opinion) is responsible for that?