PDA

View Full Version : D Johnson's Biggest Problem

NorthCoast
12-03-2020, 11:28 AM
Johnson's inconsistency is maddening but there is a glimmer that it could be fixable. I rewatched a couple of his drops. Number one problem was not looking the ball into his hands. The one where he broke free inside from Humphrey that ricocheted off his thigh was a clear example where his eyes turned away just before the ball hits his hands. You see that and you think wft? Then he turns around and makes an unbelievable catch where he turns his head to the ball just a half second before it hits his hands. Dude needs to focus like that on every catch and he could be AB2.0. Right now, he isn't.

SteelBucks
12-03-2020, 11:31 AM
He’s the second coming of Dwight “hands of” Stone. He can fix this...just needs to settle down.

BURGH86STEEL
12-03-2020, 11:46 AM
A bad game nothing more nothing less.

NorthCoast
12-03-2020, 11:55 AM
A bad game nothing more nothing less.Leads the league in drops...

SidSmythe
12-03-2020, 12:05 PM
He's a RAC guy - always thinking about the RUN and not the Catch.

BURGH86STEEL
12-03-2020, 12:21 PM
Leads the league in drops...

Yeah and as I said it was a bad game.

Northern_Blitz
12-03-2020, 12:23 PM
He's a bit like younger Ben.

High risk, high reward.

We have to take the good with the bad I guess.

"BuzzNuter"
12-03-2020, 01:16 PM
Johnson can't catch and if he does catch it he can't hold on to it. Ben will stop spoon feeding him dinky passes to get him going. Maybe he can fix it in the off-season but not this season. His playing time is going to go down.

D Rock
12-03-2020, 01:40 PM

I suppose that makes him an RBC guy rather than an RAC guy

Oviedo
12-03-2020, 01:47 PM
He’s the second coming of Dwight “hands of” Stone. He can fix this...just needs to settle down.

Johnson is much more talented than Stone

Mike Wallace was very much a Dwight Stone clone. Ball had to be perfect to have any hope to catch it

feltdizz
12-03-2020, 01:51 PM
he just needs to slow down a bit.

hawaiiansteel
12-03-2020, 01:55 PM
Johnson can't catch and if he does catch it he can't hold on to it.

wonder how DJ has been able to make those 57 catches so far this season then (2nd on the team).

amd he has only one fumble so far this year...

Buzz
12-03-2020, 05:55 PM
Yeah and as I said it was a bad game.

more like a bad season if he's leading the league in drops

NJ-STEELER
12-03-2020, 05:59 PM

yes, i see that with him at times.

but 2 big drops yesterday were not because of that.

one he was already in the end zone. no RAC needed.
the other he failed to secure it after going up and grabbing it. would have been on the 2 yard line

NorthCoast
12-03-2020, 06:04 PM
wonder how DJ has been able to make those 57 catches so far this season then (2nd on the team).

amd he has only one fumble so far this year...maybe because he was targeted 82 times... you can't discount the fact that his catch rate is only 80% on the season.

hawaiiansteel
12-03-2020, 06:51 PM
maybe because he was targeted 82 times... you can't discount the fact that his catch rate is only 80% on the season.

DJ was coming off back to back 100 yard receiving games.

he's still young and very talented, he'll be fine.

BURGH86STEEL
12-03-2020, 07:35 PM
maybe because he was targeted 82 times... you can't discount the fact that his catch rate is only 80% on the season.
You also can't discount the fact that Ben has his share of poorly thrown passes. How does Ben's poorly throw passes factor into the equation of dropped passes?

hawaiiansteel
12-03-2020, 07:49 PM
You also can't discount the fact that Ben has his share of poorly thrown passes. How does Ben's poorly throw passes factor into the equation of dropped passes?

Ben Roethlisberger Shares Blame For Drops: ‘I Need To Be More Accurate With My Passes

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/12/ben-roethlisberger-shares-blame-for-drops-i-need-to-be-more-accurate-with-my-passes/

NorthCoast
12-03-2020, 08:29 PM
You also can't discount the fact that Ben has his share of poorly thrown passes. How does Ben's poorly throw passes factor into the equation of dropped passes?Fair point Burgh. The catch rate I gave was based on % catchable passes. Working backwards from the numbers;

82 targets - 49 completions = 33 non catches - 8 charged drops = 25 non-catchable.

(note my numbers don't include yesterday's game)

His drop rate is double last season and that was with Rudolph and Duck throwing the ball.