PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin presser

Starlifter
12-02-2020, 09:51 PM
I can’t recall a presser where he was more angry, blunt and critical. When he attributes the loss to “us sucking” - wow.

This was ‘unleash hell’ worthy - after a victory.

Gonna be fun on the south side the next few days preparing for WFT.

SteelBucks
12-02-2020, 11:03 PM
I can’t recall a presser where he was more angry, blunt and critical. When he attributes the loss to “us sucking” - wow.

I think he’s pissed on multiple levels. The Covid scheduling issues, playing poorly and losing one his star OLBs for the season. It wasn’t a fun day or week.

papillon
12-02-2020, 11:06 PM
He's pissed and rightfully so because the players had an arrogant attitude that they thought the Ravens were going to lay down or that they were going to dominate. And a great big Foxtrot-Umbrella to Tuitt for his asinine remarks about padding stats, should be an easy one and he'll get his stats against Washington. I'd bench his dumbass for the Washington game.

Pappy

SidSmythe
12-02-2020, 11:49 PM
My hope is this games nonsense was b/c of the scheduling distraction.
And the inability to prepare against backups.
It felt like a week 17 game to me being the team with nothing to lose vs. a team trying to stay alive.

Sword
12-03-2020, 08:58 AM
finally...Tomlin shows something different that I like. He had every right to be angry and I'm glad he showed it.. I think the team will answer
against Washington!!

Disco1981
12-03-2020, 09:31 AM
I think he’s pissed on multiple levels. The Covid scheduling issues, playing poorly and losing one his star OLBs for the season. It wasn’t a fun day or week.

And Tuiit running his Chops?

feltdizz
12-03-2020, 09:51 AM
Tuitt is starting to be an unlikable guy off the field. Probably thinks the virus is a hoax.

Oviedo
12-03-2020, 10:12 AM
finally...Tomlin shows something different that I like. He had every right to be angry and I'm glad he showed it.. I think the team will answer
against Washington!!

I'm sure Tomlin is happy he has met your expectations

NorthCoast
12-03-2020, 10:33 AM
Tomlin was angry because he knows this team is much better than they played. Coaching may have been 10% to blame, but player execution was often poor. Someone mentioned feeling strange watching football on a Wednesday afternoon. In the players defense, I can imagine it was equally strange playing the game at that time.

"What did you think of your team's execution?"..... "I'm all for it".... John McKay

Northern_Blitz
12-03-2020, 10:41 AM
You have to appreciate the leadership (paraphrased):
"Bad by all parties involved. Coaches first. Players second."
"We make no excuses...we didn't coach well or play well tonight".
"Us sucking." <-- This might come across as anti-player if taken out of context. But he goes out of his way to include coaching failures in previous answers (and lists coaching before players failing when answering).

I appreciate that Tomlin takes the blame, even though guys dropping balls (which is the big story to me in this game) isn't on the coaches IMO. I think that part of this is personality and part of this is having an organization that doesn't fire coaches as an emotional response.

He's not one to throw guys under the bus.

And he generally doesn't whine and complain about things out of his control (like the coach of the other team).

SteelBucks
12-03-2020, 10:57 AM
Many of the mistakes were “between the ears”. Missed PAT, muffed punt, numerous dropped passes and the big gaffe by Edmunds late in the 4Q. Tomlin was pissed because we should have wiped the field against a depleted Ravens team.

I’m fairly confident we’ll see a better, more consistent performance on Monday.

Buzz
12-03-2020, 11:15 AM
Many of the mistakes were “between the ears”. Missed PAT, muffed punt, numerous dropped passes and the big gaffe by Edmunds late in the 4Q. Tomlin was pissed because we should have wiped the field against a depleted Ravens team.

If we don't, we'll lose the game

NorthCoast
12-03-2020, 11:18 AM
One thing the coach CAN do if he hasn't (not sure) is to have more practices outdoors. This weather change could impact the passing game big time and if they can't catch the ball now, this offense is toast in Dec/Jan.

"BuzzNuter"
12-03-2020, 11:22 AM
We missed Tuiit. He is better than Heyword. Now with Dupree out we will need Tuiit even more.

SteelBucks
12-03-2020, 11:29 AM
We missed Tuiit. He is better than Heyword. Now with Dupree out we will need Tuiit even more.

Tuitt is nowhere close to the talent of Heyward. They’re not even comparable.

Northern_Blitz
12-03-2020, 11:57 AM
One thing the coach CAN do if he hasn't (not sure) is to have more practices outdoors. This weather change could impact the passing game big time and if they can't catch the ball now, this offense is toast in Dec/Jan.

This seems like a good idea.

Get them used to catching in the cold.

NorthCoast
12-03-2020, 12:01 PM
Tuitt is nowhere close to the talent of Heyward. They’re not even comparable.Hashed this out in another thread... seems the board is divided on who is the best. One thing for sure, the defense is a whole lot less when one is missing.

Northern_Blitz
12-03-2020, 12:22 PM
Hashed this out in another thread... seems the board is divided on who is the best. One thing for sure, the defense is a whole lot less when one is missing.

They are both very good. Tuitt was maybe our D-MVP up until his injury last season. And he's been playing very well to date.

I think Heyward is the leader on the D. And he's a great talent too.

Honestly, I love that it's so hard to pick a best player on D because we have so many very good to elite guys (TJ, Tuitt, Heyward, Minkah).

whisper
12-03-2020, 04:16 PM

I have NEVER seen him so pissed, even after a loss. And this was after a WIN. Hopefully it's a good sign. Sometimes a team needs a little stick and not carrots.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-03-2020, 04:53 PM
I have NEVER seen him so pissed, even after a loss. And this was after a WIN. Hopefully it's a good sign. Sometimes a team needs a little stick and not carrots.

Ya, I liked it. Heard him again today and this time he started off with praising certain players/segments of the game, but doubled down with the mindset that we learned our lesson and lucky we did it in a win.

Mr.wizard
12-03-2020, 05:46 PM

That play in the 4th qtr was on Hayden, you cant leave your man to jump an undeneath route in that situation. No way the safety can get to the sideline that fast.

feltdizz
12-04-2020, 03:07 PM
That play in the 4th qtr was on Hayden, you cant leave your man to jump an undeneath route in that situation. No way the safety can get to the sideline that fast.

I didn’t realize Haden gambled on that play. Edwards still needs to go for the tackle on that play. I think he though he could make a play on the ball.

I’m not surprised Edwards received all the blame for that play.

The Glory Days
12-04-2020, 03:43 PM
I appreciate that Tomlin takes the blame, even though guys dropping balls (which is the big story to me in this game) isn't on the coaches IMO. I think that part of this is personality and part of this is having an organization that doesn't fire coaches as an emotional response.
I appreciate him taking the blame as well. Because I want to give him credit for our successes, not just our failures.

But I'll play devil's advocate here for a moment. And this isn't to say that any of what you said is wrong. I'm just going to look at it from a different angle. First, I would contend that Ben's accuracy, or lack thereof, is more of a story. If he was on target, we get at least 2 td's through the air and about 100 more yards to "pad our stats." Second, I put focus problems on coaches as much as players. And Tuitt's comment emphasizes the point. Coaches should have been on top of the team buying into their own hype. Coaches should have knocked them down a peg or two before something like Tuitt's comments ever appeared. And for a coach like Tomlin, who is supposed to be more in tune with his team than other coaches, allowing that to manifest itself is inexcusable.

I'd like to think that some of Tomlin's frustration is with himself for letting this happen, BEFORE the game ever started.

NorthCoast
12-06-2020, 09:46 AM
Man, Tomlin has a way with words. Now how will the receivers respond?

“I really don’t try to seek comfort in the definition of it”, head coach Mike Tomlin said yesterday in discussing drops and what a drop is. “If we’re talking about receivers catching or not catching the football, it’s a problem. The catching of the ball needs to be a non-discussion when we talk about those that do it for a living at this level”.

BURGH86STEEL
12-06-2020, 10:12 AM
Man, Tomlin has a way with words. Now how will the receivers respond?

Players will eventually suffer the consequences if catching the ball becomes a consistent issue. One terrible game isn't an issue yet.

NorthCoast
12-06-2020, 02:38 PM
Players will eventually suffer the consequences if catching the ball becomes a consistent issue. One terrible game isn't an issue yet.It will be interesting to see if Washington gets more snaps in place of DJ tomorrow.... maybe an indication of Tomlin's displeasure with DJ.

BURGH86STEEL
12-06-2020, 02:51 PM
It will be interesting to see if Washington gets more snaps in place of DJ tomorrow.... maybe an indication of Tomlin's displeasure with DJ.8
Maybe the coaches will make it a point or maybe they will let DJ redeem himself?? DJ is the WR that this team can't afford to lose regardless of how (more drops, benching, injury ect) his potential loss could happen.

NorthCoast
12-06-2020, 02:55 PM
Maybe the coaches will make it a point or maybe they will let DJ redeem himself?? DJ is the WR that this team can't afford to lose regardless of how (more drops, benching, injury ect) his potential loss could happen.the last time we said that about a Steelers WR it ended badly

feltdizz
12-06-2020, 08:36 PM
Its one game. People need to chill the hell out.

NorthCoast
12-06-2020, 09:03 PM
Its one game. People need to chill the hell out.one game sorta... DJ is known for drops all season.

The last game was maybe above his norm but this isn't the time to start having bad games.

Steel Maniac
12-06-2020, 09:16 PM
Relax everyone; we’ll be fine.

feltdizz
12-06-2020, 09:59 PM
one game sorta... DJ is known for drops all season.

The last game was maybe above his norm but this isn't the time to start having bad games.

I wasn’t talking about DJ. Everyone who made mistakes needs to work on their game but I’m not going to treat this game as a defining moment.

If the game was never postponed and they played sloppy I would be a little more concerned but still happy for a W vs our division rival regardless of how many people they had on the covid list.