PDA

View Full Version : James Washington

Buzz
12-02-2020, 08:05 PM
... made the play of the game. Maybe he should start next game instead of butterfingers Diontae. Our receivers (besides Washington) badly need to work on finishing the catch and ball security.

Thought Benny Snell came up big when we needed him to.

Captain Lemming
12-02-2020, 08:08 PM
... made the play of the game. Maybe he should start next game instead of butterfingers Diontae. Our receivers (besides Washington) badly need to work on finishing the catch and ball security.

100 percent on this. Dionte is so enticing but unreliable.
Dionte need to focus on the catch before the run.

Oviedo
12-02-2020, 08:13 PM
Without the drops, this is a run away

Chucktownsteeler
12-02-2020, 08:14 PM

100% agree. D. Johnson and Claypool need some jegs practice this week. Johnson aligator armed near the end of the game was ridiculous.

NorthCoast
12-02-2020, 08:15 PM
I counted 7 total (may be off 1 or 2). The worst part is that many were on 3rd downs that ended drives.

D Rock
12-02-2020, 08:18 PM
This is not a new problem

for as good as they are (or maybe at this point, just as good as they 'can be'), both DJ and Claypool have left a ton of big plays on the field this year. DJ's problem goes back to last year too

SidSmythe
12-02-2020, 08:35 PM
James Washington has been a huge disappointment.
However part of me thinks its this offense.

NorthCoast
12-02-2020, 08:36 PM
James Washington has been a huge disappointment.
However part of me thinks its this offense.

He's not on the field most of the time. When he is, he makes plays.How can he be a disappointment?!

Captain Lemming
12-02-2020, 08:38 PM
There is a difference in the two. Claypool is usually fighting to make a tough catch. Yes he needs to win more of these true.

But Dionte just drops too many uncontested passes because of concentration lapses.

How often is Dionte scanning the field to run too early? He frequently does not look the ball in. His head is up while the ball slips though his hands.

papillon
12-02-2020, 08:38 PM
The Steeler offense is just terrible right now except for Ben. And, if Ben decides to throw passes like the INT and the other floaters, they will get their a$$es handed to them. They might be able to beat Washington with this offense but Buffalo, Indy and Cleveland will win the games against the Steelers, if Ben has to throw the ball 50 plus times. The Steelers running game is the softest running attack I've ever seen, the backs run hard but the blocking is like playing pattycake. When you have 3rd and 1, 3rd and 2, 4th and 1 etc. and you have to throw a pass 15 yards to make 2 yards there is a problem. And, you see what happens if you have an unreliable receiver in these situations, you beat the Ravens 19-14 instead of 40 - 10.

Horrible, just horrible.

Pappy

flippy
12-02-2020, 09:01 PM
There is a difference in the two. Claypool is usually fighting to make a tough catch. Yes he needs to win more of these true.

But Dionte just drops too many uncontested passes because of concentration lapses.

How often is Dionte scanning the field to run too early? He frequently does not look the ball in. His head is up while the ball slips though his hands.

DJ is soft. Washington is a beast and an after thought unfortunately

DJ is maddening. He’s so quick and could be the new AB, but he goes down so easy and doesn’t have enough size. I think he needs to work out with Juju and Washington.

I wish Juju or Washington had DJs atheticism because the are so physical. They’re like WRs in RB bodies.

Each of our WRs brings something awesome to the table but none of them are complete.

Starlifter
12-02-2020, 09:20 PM
This isn’t a slight on Tomlin - but a game like today shows why he is considered a ‘players’ coach. Lots of mental errors in all phases - but tomlin doesn’t react to that and let’s his guys keep going. Hoodie is the extreme other end of the spectrum in that he WILL pull a player for a bonehead fumble on special teams or a game changing blown tackle that changes the game with 2:40 to go. I favor Tomlin having the players backs - but a touch more accountability wouldn’t hurt this team.

Captain Lemming
12-02-2020, 09:21 PM
DJ is soft. Washington is a beast and an after thought unfortunately

DJ is maddening. He’s so quick and could be the new AB, but he goes down so easy and doesn’t have enough size. I think he needs to work out with Juju and Washington.

I wish Juju or Washington had DJs atheticism because the are so physical. They’re like WRs in RB bodies.

Each of our WRs brings something awesome to the table but none of them are complete.

I think having receivers with different gifts is awesome.
Big, small, strong, slight, fast, quick.

I just want them to ALL catch the ball consistently.

Starlifter
12-02-2020, 09:35 PM
I just want them to ALL catch the ball consistently.

That was Sweeds problem. Could do it all......except catch.

Eich
12-02-2020, 09:38 PM

This.

Without the dropsies and super bonehead special teams catch by RayRay, this game is a blowout. Hopefully they got all the terrible plays out of their system in this one game. Shocking how many blown opportunities there were.

SidSmythe
12-02-2020, 09:47 PM
He's not on the field most of the time. When he is, he makes plays.How can he be a disappointment?!

He's a third yr player and a 2nd round pick.
I see him on the field often and you have to ask yourself "why isn't he on the field most of the time and why isn't he targeted more often."?

Hes 5th on the team w/ 23 catches ...thats 2 catches a game.
Thats disappointing. Whether its his fault or not is a different question.

Buzz
12-02-2020, 11:06 PM
I see him on the field often and you have to ask yourself "why isn't he on the field most of the time and why isn't he targeted more often."?

I'm surprised his reception total is that high
actually pretty good considering how seldom he is on the field/targeted

papillon
12-02-2020, 11:09 PM

Without the drops its just a little less of a $hitshow. That was pathetic. I can't ever remember being so angry at a Steeler football team. They played with an arrogant attitude as if the Ravens were a high school team. They deserved to lose the game.

Oh, and Washington should be seeing more playing time, Johnson is 50/50 whether he'll catch it or not.

Pappy

NorthCoast
12-03-2020, 12:47 AM

It's a case of Washington being too similar to JJSS and Claypool. You're not taking those guys off. On the other hand DJ puts a quick shifty guy on the field.
I was surprised the number of times Roethlisberger targeted Humphrey, their best CB.

hawaiiansteel
12-04-2020, 06:08 PM
Ben Roethlisberger: James Washington ‘Needs To Get On The Field More’

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/12/ben-roethlisberger-james-washington-needs-to-get-on-the-field-more/

NorthCoast
12-04-2020, 06:11 PM
I agree with Ben Roethlisberger.

(and it will give DJ a chance to warm pine and reflect on how to improve his consistency)

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-04-2020, 06:29 PM
Ben Roethlisberger: James Washington ‘Needs To Get On The Field More’

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/12/ben-roethlisberger-james-washington-needs-to-get-on-the-field-more/

My son loves Washington and how he competes for the ball in traffic. He is away now but was watching the game and we were on the phone at that moment. I knew exactly what he would say at that moment: "How does he not get on the field more?"

Hands much more reliable than DJ, Claypool, or Ebron.

hawaiiansteel
12-07-2020, 07:24 PM
My son loves Washington and how he competes for the ball in traffic. He is away now but was watching the game and we were on the phone at that moment. I knew exactly what he would say at that moment: "How does he not get on the field more?"

Hands much more reliable than DJ, Claypool, or Ebron.

tell your son he's right.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-08-2020, 12:05 AM
tell your son he's right.

Text from him today at 6:22PM. "Why the f*** is JW lost in the fold?"

Buzz
12-08-2020, 05:35 PM
Did JW even get a target in the 2nd half?

NorthCoast
12-08-2020, 10:24 PM
Did JW even get a target in the 2nd half?Once..[ten chars]

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-09-2020, 11:54 AM
If Coach wants to send a real message this week.....Washington starts opposite Ju Ju to start the game in a two wideout set, with Vance at TE and Watt at FB (real FB, not split out wide lol).

Northern_Blitz
12-09-2020, 12:25 PM
If Coach wants to send a real message this week.....Washington starts opposite Ju Ju to start the game in a two wideout set, with Vance at TE and Watt at FB (real FB, not split out wide lol).

I think the data that NorthCoast posted (in another thread) says that it might be better for success rates to start with JuJu and Claypool.

Chucktownsteeler
12-09-2020, 01:19 PM

I agree, Iposted this on another thread. Enough with this dink, dank, dunk bull****. Put Connor behind Watt and knock the snot out of them.