PDA

View Full Version : NFL sets up brutal 12-day run for Steelers

hawaiiansteel
12-02-2020, 01:21 AM
NFL sets up brutal 12-day run for Steelers

Curt Popejoy
December 2, 2020

It looks like the Pittsburgh Steelers are finally going to get to play the Baltimore Ravens. After nearly a full week of delays, the NFL is finally going to let this game happen. The NFL has not-so-subtly done their best to give the Ravens every competitive edge they can despite the fact they are the ones who created this problem completely.

However, the multitude of moves creates a situation even worse for the Steelers than just playing this week under such unusual circumstances.

Because this game is being played on a Wednesday, the Steelers next game against the Washington Football Team has been pushed to Monday night. It does not however change the time or date of the team’s following game with the Buffalo Bills on the road.

This means the Steelers have had all this extra rest to take on a hobble Ravens team but it starts a run of three games in 12 days, culminating with the biggest game of the season for Pittsburgh. If the Steelers come out of this stretch still on top in the AFC it should remove any and all doubt if they are the best team in the NFL.

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2020/12/02/steelers-ravens-nfl-covid-19-washington-bills/

Northern_Blitz
12-02-2020, 06:02 AM
I think this one is pretty strong on the hyperbole.

If the Raven's game didn't get moved, our schedule would have been.

Bengals Nov 15
@ Jags Nov 22
Ravens Nov 26

After the change we have the following:

Ravens Dec 2
Washington Dec 7
@ Bills Dec 13

In both cases, we had 3 games in 12 days with one road game.

In the new case, our games are actually slightly more evenly spaced. Counting days between games it's now 4 & 5 vs 6 & 3 before). And now our shortest rest is against a weak out of conference opponent instead of a shorter rest against a strong divisional opponent.

We ended up getting a few rest days before the 3 games in 12 days instead of after. You could argue that this is better or worse I guess, but it's probably a push.

In both cases, the last game was an evening game.

I think this site is just looking to get some clicks from Steelers fans. Or they just didn't think too hard when putting this one together because they're pissed themselves.

Again, it's obviously the Broncos that got screwed this week.

NorthCoast
12-02-2020, 09:13 AM
Talking heads were saying it's about the disruption in routine more than the days between games. Every team has a certain sequence of activities they follow leading up to a game. If they know the game dates in advance it is easier to plan the prep activities. But these sliding games are very disruptive. It's gonna be interesting to see how the Steelers start out in this game.

Northern_Blitz
12-02-2020, 10:00 AM
Talking heads were saying it's about the disruption in routine more than the days between games. Every team has a certain sequence of activities they follow leading up to a game. If they know the game dates in advance it is easier to plan the prep activities. But these sliding games are very disruptive. It's gonna be interesting to see how the Steelers start out in this game.

This article is about the league screwing with the Steelers by giving them a "brutal 12 day stretch". But it totally neglects that the league also "saved" them from a similar (maybe worse) 12 day stretch.

I agree that there is maybe some disruption to routine and the pro athletes are supposedly creatures of routine.

But again, I'd rather have the "short week" in the 12 day stretch be against a bad NFC team than against a good AFC North team. This is almost certainly better for the Steelers, especially since the Ravens will still be pretty short handed today (although the poor weather will probably help equalize the game for them IMO).

Either way, the league isn't doing anything to try to screw with or help the Steelers.

The league and the PA are doing everything they can to play all the games to maximize revenue so that they minimize the haircut that players and owners will take.

No one is out to get us.

flippy
12-02-2020, 10:32 AM
Needing to adapt will just make us focus and work harder.

The only concern here is we overlook the Football Team next week. That is set up to be the ultimate trap game.

Buzz
12-02-2020, 11:01 AM
I think this one is pretty strong on the hyperbole.

If the Raven's game didn't get moved, our schedule would have been.

Bengals Nov 15
@ Jags Nov 22
Ravens Nov 26

After the change we have the following:

Ravens Dec 2
Washington Dec 7
@ Bills Dec 13

In both cases, we had 3 games in 12 days with one road game.

Don't know, Blitz, to my eyes, that second group of games looks considerably tougher than the first one ... and like Coast said, with postponing the Ravens game twice, the disruption in routine has been terrible. I still think our team got jerked around a bit. After this past couple of weeks, it's going to be a challenge to be ready, on consecutive short weeks, for Washington and especially Buffalo. But maybe, as flip says, it will help the Steelers to be more focused and work harder.

I do think we'll be ready for the Ravens today.

Northern_Blitz
12-02-2020, 11:24 AM
Don't know, Blitz, to my eyes, that second group of games looks considerably tougher than the first one ... and like Coast said, with postponing the Ravens game twice, the disruption in routine has been terrible. I still think our team got jerked around a bit. After this past couple of weeks, it's going to be a challenge to be ready, on consecutive short weeks, for Washington and especially Buffalo. But maybe, as flip says, it will help the Steelers to be more focused and work harder.

Maybe, but it's basically a shell of a Ravens team so who knows.

If we're not ready for 2/3rds of the Ravens today, it's not the fault of the NFL IMO.

On D, they are down their 2 best OLB and their D line is depleted. Their secondary is intact but (1) they didn't seem to be able to handle the spread offense last game and (2) they will likely have to cover longer without their best edge rusher.

On O they lost their QB and a bunch of guys on their interior O-Line (although us losing Tuitt is bad for us too). They have a bunch of practice squad guys to choose from at TE. They get RBs back, but I think they'll have difficulty blocking for them.

I think losing Jackson is a big deal because they designed their whole offense around him and it will mean that we can focus more on stopping the run that's destroyed us in the last 1.5 years (particularly last game).

If we can stop the run, I think we win this game pretty handily. If they get 250 (or whatever) on the ground again I think it will still be close (again).

I don't know what the line is now, but I think we're favored by over 10 points. I don't think we blow them out (because the weather maybe helps them by limiting our ability to spread them out), but I think we win this one by something that ends up being more comfortable than what we see on the scoreboard.

But you never know, I thought we'd lose to the Bungles.

Starlifter
12-02-2020, 11:27 AM
Tomlin's greatest strength as a coach in my opinion, is his ability to handle adversity and motivate players. This kind of crap is right in his wheelhouse and I expect the Steelers to be on fire today.

Disco1981
12-02-2020, 11:27 AM
Needing to adapt will just make us focus and work harder.

The only concern here is we overlook the Football Team next week. That is set up to be the ultimate trap game.

I would say it could be more likely " beat up, not rested, undermanned " more doing us in...Than a trap game

Northern_Blitz
12-02-2020, 11:28 AM
Not sure what's actually happening (and I won't believe anything until I see it).

But it's being reported that Ingram and Dobbins are out today.

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/12/report-ravens-rbs-j-k-dobbins-mark-ingram-wont-play-against-steelers/

Them sneaking back in is the somewhat legit gripe I had about moving from yesterday to today.

If they don't play, it's no difference from playing yesterday (except there's probably less chance that our guys get to 'Rona).

Starlifter
12-02-2020, 11:31 AM
I think the rats are playing fast and loose. we'll see when the inactives come out later today.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-02-2020, 12:18 PM
I believe that there has not been one instance of Covid being spread from one player to another on the football field. Even though players come in close contact, that time is very brief in any single instance.

Going to the whole "leaugue screws the Steelers" idea, I don't think incidents happen because the league is out to get Pittsburgh, but I believe that the franchise's ideology that we "always do everything to protect the shield" will often work against the Steelers. When the Ravens started whining about wanting an extra day after the game had been moved twice already, the league knew that the easiest thing would be to move the game. It shuts up the whiners and they know that nobody named Rooney would ever go public about being treated unfairly by the league.

NorthCoast
12-02-2020, 12:38 PM
Not sure what's actually happening (and I won't believe anything until I see it).

But it's being reported that Ingram and Dobbins are out today.

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/12/report-ravens-rbs-j-k-dobbins-mark-ingram-wont-play-against-steelers/

Them sneaking back in is the somewhat legit gripe I had about moving from yesterday to today.

If they don't play, it's no difference from playing yesterday (except there's probably less chance that our guys get to 'Rona).Confirmed on the radio about 10 mins. ago. They are not making the trip (actually they would already have to be enroute if they were playing).

Mr.wizard
12-02-2020, 01:38 PM
He difference between the broncos situation and the ravens situation was that the broncos had the virus contained, thats why their game was a go. The Ravens however still had cases popping up everyday, so there was no way really to to send the Ravens to Pittsburgh until they were certain they knew all the players infected.

feltdizz
12-02-2020, 01:48 PM

Bills should be the only tough game in this stretch. Ravens are a shell of a team right now.

We signed up and knew the schedule would be crazy due to Covid so all the crying by the players needs to stop.

feltdizz
12-02-2020, 01:49 PM
I believe that there has not been one instance of Covid being spread from one player to another on the football field. Even though players come in close contact, that time is very brief in any single instance.

Going to the whole "leaugue screws the Steelers" idea, I don't think incidents happen because the league is out to get Pittsburgh, but I believe that the franchise's ideology that we "always do everything to protect the shield" will often work against the Steelers. When the Ravens started whining about wanting an extra day after the game had been moved twice already, the league knew that the easiest thing would be to move the game. It shuts up the whiners and they know that nobody named Rooney would ever go public about being treated unfairly by the league.

or they just had more caution because the Ravens outbreak wasn’t contained.

Buzz
12-02-2020, 07:57 PM
Bills should be the only tough game in this stretch. Ravens are a shell of a team right now.

Ravens weren't as much a "shell of a team" as we thought

Either that, or we played a crap game

I'm leaning toward the latter

Oviedo
12-02-2020, 08:15 PM

Our WRs were terrible at times.

Chucktownsteeler
12-02-2020, 08:28 PM
The WRs crapped the bed today. Period. Other than Washington.

Captain Lemming
12-02-2020, 08:31 PM

How can anyone know that?
Linemen colide and are literally breathing in each other's face repeatedly.

We might know who started it, apparently not a player. But we don't know how it spread between players.

They say the issue is indoor spread.
Really?
Consider the event announcing the Supreme Court lady.

Outdoors, people tested beforehand. Still major spread event.

You need to test and allow time for that test to prove legit.

feltdizz
12-02-2020, 10:08 PM

We had a ton of unforced mistakes. Trips in the RZ that resulted in no points.

Muffed punt

So many drops i lost count

Edmunds whiffing

Ebron was just.. I’m worried the cold weather is going to bring the old Ebron out.

NorthCoast
12-02-2020, 10:13 PM
We had a ton of unforced mistakes. Trips in the RZ that resulted in no points.

Muffed punt

So many drops i lost count

Edmunds whiffing

Ebron was just.. I’m worried the cold weather is going to bring the old Ebron out.

Good point on Ebron dizz. He's a former dome guy.

feltdizz
12-02-2020, 10:20 PM

We might know who started it, apparently not a player. But we don't know how it spread between players.

Really?

its amazing how people just make up facts about Covid without evidence. We have no idea if these guys are spreading it in the field. I’m sure they do a good job testing before games but without a bubble I’m sure some players or coaches slip thru detection or have false readings.

Captain Lemming
12-02-2020, 11:09 PM
its amazing how people just make up facts about Covid without evidence. We have no idea if these guys are spreading it in the field. I’m sure they do a good job testing before games but without a bubble I’m sure some players or coaches slip thru detection or have false readings.

Exactly I don't know what it is about this particular virus that makes people lose all logic.

Its not like Jackson can say, "I got it from the coach in a meeting so I did not get it in practice from Dobbins."

If your are around multiple people with a virus, and you play football with infected people, how can you KNOW it wasn't while you were playing?

How often do you know the specific circumstance where you got a cold?

feltdizz
12-03-2020, 09:55 AM
Exactly I don't know what it is about this particular virus that makes people lose all logic.

Its not like Jackson can say, "I got it from the coach in a meeting so I did not get it in practice from Dobbins."

If your are around multiple people with a virus, and you play football with infected people, how can you KNOW it wasn't while you were playing?

How often do you know the specific circumstance where you got a cold?

someone implied the Ravens might spit and cough on us intentionally to spread the virus during the game.

Literally every play guys are spitting, coughing and breathing on each other in the trenches.. lmao. Its not intentional, its just the way things work in football.

anyways.. as far as the topic of a grueling schedule NB hit the nail on the head. The headline sounds extremely negative but the math pretty much shows that 11 to 12 days is normal if you factor in a Thursday game.

NorthCoast
12-03-2020, 10:01 AM

How often do you know the specific circumstance where you got a cold?The experts didn't help the situation with their gaffes when the virus broke. This led to a general nobody trusts anything they hear.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-03-2020, 03:01 PM

Really?

Sorry, I should have said "documented incident". Not commenting on the science - known and unknown - of the virus.

Steel Maniac
12-03-2020, 03:03 PM
The experts didn't help the situation with their gaffes when the virus broke. This led to a general nobody trusts anything they hear.

True....it was a virus that they knew little about and were figuring things out as they went.

feltdizz
12-03-2020, 08:56 PM
The experts didn't help the situation with their gaffes when the virus broke. This led to a general nobody trusts anything they hear.

gaffes? I think the “experts” were just going off the info they had at the moment and adjusted as more data came back.

we often rip coaches for their inability to adjust during a game.

I think its the same with a pandemic. You go with a plan and adjust.

One problem was Trump dismantled the pandemic team because he seemed like he wanted to undo everything the last admin regardless if it made sense or not.

Buzz
12-03-2020, 11:44 PM
gaffes? I think the “experts” were just going off the info they had at the moment and adjusted as more data came back.
No, Fauci admitted they knew early on that masks would help but lied and said they weren't necessary. Once people realize you've lied to them in the past, it's a lot harder to get them to trust what you tell them going forward.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-04-2020, 12:18 AM
No, Fauci admitted they knew early on that masks would help but lied and said they weren't necessary. Once people realize you've lied to them in the past, it's a lot harder to get them to trust what you tell them going forward.

I think that people are happy to listen to experts as long as it is the narrative they want to hear.

The truth is that there is no overseeing body of "experts" people talk about experts and science like there is some unanimous agreement on things. If you think that there should be no lockdown and that the compromised should be taken care of while the rest go out and live their lives, then you tend to believe those "experts". If you believe that you must follow social distancing and no gatherings etc. then you follow those "experts".

Confirmation bias at its finest.

hawaiiansteel
12-04-2020, 02:14 AM
Eric Ebron would rather lose game check than play three times in 12 days

Posted by Mike Florio on December 3, 2020

The re-re-re-scheduling of the Week 12 game between the Ravens and Steelers will result in the Steelers playing three games in 12 days. Steelers tight end Eric Ebron isn’t happy about that.

“We put all of these stipulations in place,” Ebron said on Uninterrupted’s 17 Weeks podcast on SiriusXM/Pandora. “Everybody signed up and said, ‘Ok, this is gonna be cool.’ Nobody thought you would play three games in 12 days. Think about that. That’s us. We play [Wednesday], we play Monday [against Washington], and we play Sunday [at Buffalo]. Oh my God. . . . They’re trying to see us fail, bro. Welcome to the National Football League.”

If the NFL had canceled the Ravens-Steelers game, no players from either team would have gotten paid. It sounds like Ebron wouldn’t have minded.

“I don’t care about a game check,” Ebron said. “I’m sorry, I know there are people who don’t make the amount of money I do. I know that. So what? I’m sure they don’t want to play three games in 12 days either. They’d much rather, you know, lose a game check than risk them not making a check the next year because they’re hurt.”

For Ebron, who has a $1 million salary this season, a game check would cost $58,823.53.

Despite his complaints, Ebron seems to be willing to play along. But he has a request. Or maybe it’s a demand.

“When we go to the Super Bowl they just better give us the biggest plane, the best hotel, the top of everything,” Ebron said. “Like whatever they did for Kansas City last year we need to be 30 times better than that when we go to the Super Bowl because that’ll be their makeup to us. They gotta roll out the red carpet for our ass now. They ain’t trying to do it in the regular season. They’re gonna have to do it then and we want it bigger and better than everybody else because they made us go through three road games in the middle of the year, and then three games in 12 days. And everybody says, ‘Oh we have the easiest schedule.’ OK, come over here and play with us then.”

It’ll be interesting to see what coach Mike Tomlin thinks of Ebron’s remarks. Tomlin insisted after Wednesday’s win over the Ravens that the Steelers “make no excuses” regarding the six-day delay of the Week 12 game. Tomlin also may not be thrilled with Ebron’s presumption that the Steelers will be heading to Tampa in February.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/12/03/eric-ebron-would-rather-lose-game-check-than-play-three-times-in-12-days/

flippy
12-04-2020, 08:45 AM
I think that people are happy to listen to experts as long as it is the narrative they want to hear.

The truth is that there is no overseeing body of "experts" people talk about experts and science like there is some unanimous agreement on things. If you think that there should be no lockdown and that the compromised should be taken care of while the rest go out and live their lives, then you tend to believe those "experts". If you believe that you must follow social distancing and no gatherings etc. then you follow those "experts".

Theres something to emotions being more powerful than logic. It’s why people can be scammed or can follow a cult leader.

If you can sway someone’s emotions, they tend to dig in to protect those emotions. And if you try to use logic to counter emotion, people dig their heels in deeper to protect their emotions and it’s a weird dynamic get exacerbated by everything going on around us today.

It’s like social media, politics, religion, gov’t, big biz, etc all figured out at the same time that if they can get to our emotions, they own us. And all of this data collected on us by the tech companies and packaged and sold gave the key to figuring out how to tap into our emotions and control us. The programming is insanely brilliant because most of us aren’t aware of the emotions we dig in and protect.

We are the product and our emotions are the new universal currency.

Buzz
12-04-2020, 09:08 AM

“When we go to the Super Bowl they just better give us the biggest plane, the best hotel, the top of everything,” Ebron said.

I had hoped the close game with the depleted Ravens would have humbled our players a bit, but it appears (at least with Ebron) that may not be the case. If so, look for more crap play moving forward.

It might take a sound beating, on the field as well as the scoreboard, to bring these doofuses back to earth.

feltdizz
12-04-2020, 09:33 AM
Eric Ebron would rather lose game check than play three times in 12 days

The re-re-re-scheduling of the Week 12 game between the Ravens and Steelers will result in the Steelers playing three games in 12 days. Steelers tight end Eric Ebron isn’t happy about that.

“We put all of these stipulations in place,” Ebron said on Uninterrupted’s 17 Weeks podcast on SiriusXM/Pandora. “Everybody signed up and said, ‘Ok, this is gonna be cool.’ Nobody thought you would play three games in 12 days. Think about that. That’s us. We play [Wednesday], we play Monday [against Washington], and we play Sunday [at Buffalo]. Oh my God. . . . They’re trying to see us fail, bro. Welcome to the National Football League.”

If the NFL had canceled the Ravens-Steelers game, no players from either team would have gotten paid. It sounds like Ebron wouldn’t have minded.

“I don’t care about a game check,” Ebron said. “I’m sorry, I know there are people who don’t make the amount of money I do. I know that. So what? I’m sure they don’t want to play three games in 12 days either. They’d much rather, you know, lose a game check than risk them not making a check the next year because they’re hurt.”

For Ebron, who has a $1 million salary this season, a game check would cost $58,823.53.

Despite his complaints, Ebron seems to be willing to play along. But he has a request. Or maybe it’s a demand.

“When we go to the Super Bowl they just better give us the biggest plane, the best hotel, the top of everything,” Ebron said. “Like whatever they did for Kansas City last year we need to be 30 times better than that when we go to the Super Bowl because that’ll be their makeup to us. They gotta roll out the red carpet for our ass now. They ain’t trying to do it in the regular season. They’re gonna have to do it then and we want it bigger and better than everybody else because they made us go through three road games in the middle of the year, and then three games in 12 days. And everybody says, ‘Oh we have the easiest schedule.’ OK, come over here and play with us then.”

It’ll be interesting to see what coach Mike Tomlin thinks of Ebron’s remarks. Tomlin insisted after Wednesday’s win over the Ravens that the Steelers “make no excuses” regarding the six-day delay of the Week 12 game. Tomlin also may not be thrilled with Ebron’s presumption that the Steelers will be heading to Tampa in February.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/12/03/eric-ebron-would-rather-lose-game-check-than-play-three-times-in-12-days/

The Ebron we worried about is rearing his head and yapping.. lol. I guess this is the Ebron people didn’t like in Detroit.

I know players don’t like Thursday games but the reality is anytime you have a Thursday game you more than likely are playing 3 games in 11 or 12 days.

However, I think this is the real reason players didn’t look focused and made a ton of errors.

I think they are buying into this notion the league is out to get us. Hopefully we can use it as motivation to keep winning games but if we have another game postponed due to covid I would expect more sloppiness.

Northern_Blitz
12-04-2020, 11:18 AM

Hard to look at the world and disagree with this.

Steel Maniac
12-04-2020, 12:02 PM
Theres something to emotions being more powerful than logic. It’s why people can be scammed or can follow a cult leader.

If you can sway someone’s emotions, they tend to dig in to protect those emotions. And if you try to use logic to counter emotion, people dig their heels in deeper to protect their emotions and it’s a weird dynamic get exacerbated by everything going on around us today.

It’s like social media, politics, religion, gov’t, big biz, etc all figured out at the same time that if they can get to our emotions, they own us. And all of this data collected on us by the tech companies and packaged and sold gave the key to figuring out how to tap into our emotions and control us. The programming is insanely brilliant because most of us aren’t aware of the emotions we dig in and protect.

We are the product and our emotions are the new universal currency.

Spot on Flippy. This is the unfortunate truth right now. I hope better days are ahead.

NorthCoast
12-04-2020, 01:00 PM
The Ebron we worried about is rearing his head and yapping.. lol. I guess this is the Ebron people didn’t like in Detroit.

I know players don’t like Thursday games but the reality is anytime you have a Thursday game you more than likely are playing 3 games in 11 or 12 days.

However, I think this is the real reason players didn’t look focused and made a ton of errors.

I think they are buying into this notion the league is out to get us. Hopefully we can use it as motivation to keep winning games but if we have another game postponed due to covid I would expect more sloppiness.Yea, until he starts playing like Heath he ought to close lips. He made some key catches but he's also dropped his share... and he isn't much of a blocker. Hope that Tomlin has a quiet attitude adjustment talk with the guy.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-04-2020, 04:13 PM

The Steelers played Wednesday ------ 5 days later -----> Monday ------ 6 days later --------> Sunday

Teams will often play Monday ---------- 6 days later -----> Sunday ------- 4 days later --------> Thursday

Looks like they get an extra day. If they don't like it then they should negotiate out Thursday games in the next agreement.

NorthCoast
12-05-2020, 01:17 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EoH5EzrXEAAFU0h?format=jpg&name=small

Buzz
12-05-2020, 01:25 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EoH5EzrXEAAFU0h?format=jpg&name=small

funny. looks like Elway in the chair

Northern_Blitz
12-05-2020, 07:24 PM
The Steelers played Wednesday ------ 5 days later -----> Monday ------ 6 days later --------> Sunday

Teams will often play Monday ---------- 6 days later -----> Sunday ------- 4 days later --------> Thursday

Looks like they get an extra day. If they don't like it then they should negotiate out Thursday games in the next agreement.

The increased revenue is split ~ evenly between players and owners.

While the players say that don't like it, they have decided that the increased risk due to injury is worth the increase in revenue that they get.

NorthCoast
12-07-2020, 08:43 AM
Still waiting on the fines for Baltimore. Weird how the Steelers ended up with the two opponents with the worst outbreaks... and just before their scheduled games. Conspiracy?...nah, not going there.

https://sports.yahoo.com/virus-toll-32-nfl-teams-hit-covid-19-213324082--nfl.html

The virus's toll: How 32 NFL teams have been hit by COVID-19
The Associated Press
The Associated Press
Sat, December 5, 2020, 5:04 PM EST·11 min read

TENNESSEE

The Titans had the NFL's first outbreak that forced the first postponement and then rescheduling of a game this season. Their game against Pittsburgh moved from Oct. 4 to Oct. 25 and wiped out their bye week. Their outbreak affected 24 players and personnel and postponed a second game - against Buffalo - for two days to a rare Tuesday night on Oct. 13. Since then, they've had only two players placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list.

- ADVERTISEMENT -

''What we dealt with was unfortunate, and we handled it the best that we felt like we could,'' coach Mike Vrabel said. ''Every team is different. Every situation is different. I'm proud of the fact that the past few cases that we had were isolated with zero close contacts, and that's a testament to our players, our staff.''

BALTIMORE

An outbreak among the Ravens and staff followed an overtime loss to Tennessee on Nov. 22 and decimated Baltimore's roster heading into a pivotal Thanksgiving rematch with the Steelers. The game was postponed to Sunday, then Tuesday, then Wednesday. When the Ravens got on the field they had gone 10 days without playing and were without several key players, including quarterback Lamar Jackson, the 2019 NFL MVP.

Baltimore lost 19-14. Coach John Harbaugh appreciated the play and effort of the backups on the thin offensive and defensive lines.

PITTSBURGH

The NFL's lone unbeaten team dealt with ripple effects of outbreaks elsewhere: moving the Titans and Ravens games, switching their bye week. The Steelers recently sent to the COVID-19 list a group that includes tight end Vance McDonald and running back James Conner.

NEW ENGLAND

The Patriots' Week 4 matchup against the Chiefs was postponed a day after QB Cam Newton tested positive. New England's game the following week against Denver was twice postponed following positive tests by several players, including star cornerback Stephon Gilmore. In essence, the Patriots lost their bye week.

DENVER

Eight players have gone on the reserve/COVID-19 list, three assistant coaches have been infected - defensive coordinator Ed Donatell missed all of November and was hospitalized at one point with respiratory complications - plus GM John Elway and CEO Joe Ellis were infected.

Denver essentially lost its bye week because of New England's issues, and last Sunday the Broncos lost to the Saints 31-3 without any quarterbacks. Starter Drew Lock, backup Brett Rypien and practice squad veteran Blake Bortles were deemed high-risk close contacts of No. 3 QB Jeff Driskel, who tested positive on Thanksgiving.

LAS VEGAS

Players, coaches and the organization have been fined more than $1.2 million and docked a sixth-round pick for COVID-19 violations.

The team practiced the entire week before the Tampa Bay game without the starting offensive line after tackle Trent Brown tested positive. The other four linemen returned the morning of the game and the Raiders lost 45-20. Defensive lineman Clelin Ferrell tested positive leading up to the Kansas City game, several other defensive starters missed practice as high-risk close contacts before most returned to play in the 35-31 loss.

NEW ORLEANS

The organization was fined $500,000 and stripped of a seventh-round draft pick for repeated protocol violations. Individual players missed games intermittently, most notably receiver Emmanuel Sanders and left tackle Terron Armstead. Coach Sean Payton contracted the virus in the offseason.

If anything, the Saints were the beneficiary of another team running afoul of COVID-19 protocols when they played undermanned Denver.

SAN FRANCISCO

The Niners have relocated to Arizona for at least three weeks when Santa Clara County banned contact sports and practices. San Francisco will practice and play its next two home games in Arizona.

Receivers Kendrick Bourne and Brandon Aiyuk and left tackle Trent Williams were idle for a loss to Green Bay; several players then were placed on the COVID-19 list after defensive lineman Arik Armstead tested positive following a loss at New Orleans on Nov. 15.

CLEVELAND

The Browns spent the better part of the past month dealing with facility shutdowns, virtual meetings and practices being moved or canceled on a nearly daily basis. They've placed several players, including star DE Myles Garrett, on the COVID-19 list; he missed two games. Last week against the Jaguars, the Browns also were without starting linebacker Sione Takitaki and fullback Andy Janovich because of positive cases.

LOS ANGELES CHARGERS

One of the teams not to have a player opt out for the season, and no player went on the COVID-19 list until late October.

But Los Angeles had its bye week moved from mid-November to mid-October, and with other switches, the only thing unchanged from Weeks 6-11 was a home game against Las Vegas remained on Nov. 8.

''We don't say why us. We know there are going to be changes,'' coach Anthony Lynn said. ''When other games are going to be canceled at some point it is going to affect our schedule. That's just the way it is.''

BUFFALO

The Bills had three games altered: their game at Tennessee, a Thursday night home game against Kansas City switched to the following Monday evening, and the upcoming Monday nighter vs. the 49ers, now being played in Arizona.

Tight end Tommy Sweeney tested positive and will miss the remainder of the season after being diagnosed with myocarditis, an inflamed heart condition linked to the novel coronavirus.

MINNESOTA

A scare came after Tennessee's outbreak was reported two days after playing at Minnesota, forcing the Vikings to close their facility and miss a Wednesday practice. Receiver Adam Thielen was the first player of significance to miss a game, but the Vikings beat Carolina without him.

The biggest impact of the virus might have come in July when new nose tackle Michael Pierce opted out of the season due to asthma-related health concerns. The Vikings have lacked a run-stuffing presence in the middle.

GREEN BAY

Leading to a Nov. 5 game at San Francisco, rookie RB A.J. Dillon tested positive and fellow running back Jamaal Williams also was placed on the COVID-19 list as a close contact. Dillon remains on the list.

The Packers, like most teams, haven't played in front of paying fans. They allowed about 300 team employees and family members last Sunday night to test stadium protocols in case paying fans are allowed at games later this season.

JACKSONVILLE

With the most players (12) on the COVID-19 list to open training camp, the Jaguars have done better than others since. RB Ryquell Armstead was placed on the list twice, was hospitalized twice and dealt with respiratory issues. Armstead is expected to make a full recovery.

The Jaguars did have their bye moved up a week.

MIAMI

Several key assistants missed consecutive games: outside linebackers coach Austin Clark, quarterbacks coach Robby Brown, defensive line coach Marion Hobby and offensive quality control coach Kolby Smith. Defensive backs coach Gerald Alexander missed one match. Only one starter has missed playing time due to the virus: DT Christian Wilkins sat out two games.

CINCINNATI

Assistant coaches Nick Eason (defensive line), Steven Jackson (cornerbacks), Al Golden (linebackers), Bob Bicknell (receivers) and Mark Duffner (defensive assistant) missed games.

Regular cornerbacks Trae Waynes and Mackensie Alexander, and defensive end Margus Hunt have been on the list. Cincinnati shut down its practice facility midweek in early November after two players tested positive.

INDIANAPOLIS

DE Denico Autry, who leads Indy with six sacks, went on the COVID-19 list two weeks ago. Last week, 2019 Pro Bowl DT DeForest Buckner and rookie RB Jonathan Taylor joined Autry on the list. All three sat out last weekend's loss to Tennessee.

Coach Frank Reich also has said in the wake of last weekend's quarterback debacle in Denver that the Colts considered sending backup quarterback Jacoby Brissett home to do meetings virtually - in case Philip Rivers contracted the illness. Indy never did that, though.

PHILADELPHIA

The Eagles haven't had any starters miss games because of COVID-19, but coach Doug Pederson had it in training camp.

''I'm comfortable and confident that the (safety) protocols we have in place are for the best interests of the football team and all those who enter the building,'' Pederson said in August. ''It still is a very safe environment.''

NorthCoast
12-07-2020, 08:44 AM
Part II:

DETROIT

The Lions practiced without Matthew Stafford when they played at Minnesota in early November because the quarterback was deemed a close contact. Stafford, who had a publicized false positive in the preseason, stayed in a hotel away from his family before and after he played in that game.

TAMPA BAY

Only one starter has spent time on the COVID-19 list, DL William Gholston, and he didn't miss a game. Special teams player Jaydon Mickens missed a game.

When the NFL directed teams to begin the intensive protocol, prohibiting in-person meetings unless they were outdoors, the Bucs continued in-person meetings at the training facility by setting up tents outside the building and conducting socially distanced meetings in the makeshift spaces.

''We're very, very fortunate to have the facility and the weather that we can meet outside,'' coach Bruce Arians said.

DALLAS

QB Andy Dalton's positive test forced him to miss a second straight game after he had been sidelined for one with a concussion. The Cowboys started rookie Ben DiNucci in a 23-9 loss to Philadelphia. Dalton missed another loss, with Garrett Gilbert facing Pittsburgh.

NEW YORK GIANTS

Five players tested positive in season. LG Will Hernandez was the first on Oct. 29 and he missed two games. All O-linemen but RG Kevin Zeitler had to isolate because of close contact. The regulars came back without missing any games.

And fifth-round draftee Shane Lemieux has played so well Hernandez lost his job.

Kicker Graham Gano tested positive last month, was sidelined and is back now.

ARIZONA

The Cardinals largely avoided major disruptions. Veteran receiver Larry Fitzgerald missed last weekend's loss to New England while on the COVID-19 list.

CHICAGO

Nose tackle Eddie Goldman opted out of the season, damaging the inside defense. The Bears also had to cancel practice and close their facility for a day last month.

WASHINGTON

Only one player, already on IR, has tested positive for COVID-19. The scheduling change this week from other disruptions saw Washington's game at Pittsburgh shifted from Sunday to Monday.

ATLANTA

Little impact. The team canceled practice and held virtual meetings three times because of virus protocols. Atlanta won all three contests following its shutdowns.

A handful of players spent time on the COVID-19 list, most notably first-round pick cornerback A.J. Terrell and DE Dante Fowler Jr.

CAROLINA

Some half-dozen players have been on the COVID-19 list, notably CB Rasul Douglas for two games. The Panthers twice have been in intense protocol.

NEW YORK JETS

Top LB C. J. Mosley opted out. Only tight end Ross Travis, on the practice squad at the time, has been on the list during the regular season. They had four players on it during training camp, rookie CB Bryce Hall, now a starter, the only one still with the team.

LOS ANGELES RAMS

The Rams erected a massive tent in the parking lot of their training complex to hold team meetings outdoors, taking advantage of Southern California's mild weather to minimize exposure to recycled air and close quarters. Only one outbreak, with three practice squad players affected during the season.

KANSAS CITY

The Chiefs have been remarkably clear of COVID-19 positives. They lost WR Mecole Hardman for a game in Week 10. LT Eric Fisher and RT Mitchell Schwartz tested positive along with backup OL Martinas Rankin, but Fisher was cleared to return and Schwartz already was out with a back injury.

HOUSTON

A handful of players have missed time because of the virus. The Texans played at Jacksonville without linebackers Whitney Mercilus, Jacob Martin and Dylan Cole after Martin tested positive. Martin also missed the next game, but Mercilus and Cole returned. Offensive tackle Max Scharping tested positive for the virus during the team's bye week, forcing the closure of the facility, and he missed one game.

SEATTLE

Seattle was the only NFL team with no players on the COVID-19 list until Saturday, when injured defensive lineman Bryan Mone went on it. Mone has been on injured reserve due to an ankle injury.

Coach Pete Carroll has regularly stressed the importance of following protocols and has been proud of what the Seahawks have accomplished.

''We feel very fortunate that we are where we are, and we feel like we're kind of anticipating what's coming,'' Carroll said. ''So we're in good shape right now and hopefully we just keep it going. This is a one day at a time deal. That's all we got.''

NorthCoast
12-10-2020, 01:12 PM
_________
[Kaboly] Can't believe the Steelers are playing 3 games in 12 days. The last time they did that you have to go all the way back to 2019. Before that, 2018. Before that, 2016. Before that, 2015.__________

hawaiiansteel
12-10-2020, 01:20 PM
[Kaboly] Can't believe the Steelers are playing 3 games in 12 days. The last time they did that you have to go all the way back to 2019. Before that, 2018. Before that, 2016. Before that, 2015.

losing the bye caught up with us right after we went up 14-0 against Washington.

feltdizz
12-10-2020, 09:30 PM
losing the bye caught up with us right after we went up 14-0 against Washington.

now this is funny..

any time I point this out people get real quiet. it sounds really scandalous but its actually quite common