PDA

View Full Version : Shamelessly Owning my Incorrect Predictions this Year!

Northern_Blitz
11-19-2020, 07:28 AM
Here's a spot where we can man up and admit what we got wrong so far this year.

1) I thought that the rookies wouldn't be able to contribute much this season with the lack of off-season / preseason. Turns out every one of our most recent draft class has already dressed in an NFL game this year (probably a pretty rare occurrence). And Claypool, Highsmith, and Dotson (at least) have played pretty meaningful roles.

2) I didn't think that Ben would be as good as he has been. I thought he'd come back and look something like an average NFL QB (especially early). I think he's embraced the short passing game and is providing very high quality play (smart decisions, quick throws, few turnovers).

3) I thought we'd drop one to the Bengals last week.
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/LightheartedSnappyBuckeyebutterfly-small.gif

4) Not sure about including this one or not. I thought that the D would regress because you basically can't do as well as we did last year in multiple years. But I thought it would be more around turnovers and that the run and pass D would remain very strong.

We're not quite on pace for the 38 turnovers we got last season (17 through 9 games so far). This part surprised me, but we're tied for the lead in turnovers (the Bucs are tied with us but haven't had their bye, so we're leading the lead on a per game basis). So I think I'm technically right on this in that we will have fewer than last year, but we still look very good to elite on take aways.

The run D looked elite at the beginning of the years, but some combination of injuries and regression has us now looking somewhere between terrible and average.

Anyway, feel free to chime in with your own Shameless Owning of Incorrect Predictions.

feltdizz
11-19-2020, 07:46 AM
I definitely didn’t think Ben would look this good.

I admitted Conner looked better than expected this year but I swear as soon as I said it he started to look terrible. I blame the OL more than him.

Oviedo
11-19-2020, 08:09 AM
I love that we are trusting our rookies and giving them a chance to shine.

I don't think our defense is as bad as you insinuate. Still among the best in the NFL. Expect them to get better going forward

Thrilled that Ben is back and doing what I said he should do for years..."dink and dunk". I always said if he did this he would be unstoppable

Never expected to see our run game so inconsistent. I blame Pouncey and Feiler. Watch the games...they are getting blown up at the point of attack

Northern_Blitz
11-19-2020, 09:00 AM
I love that we are trusting our rookies and giving them a chance to shine.

I don't think our defense is as bad as you insinuate. Still among the best in the NFL. Expect them to get better going forward

Thrilled that Ben is back and doing what I said he should do for years..."dink and dunk". I always said if he did this he would be unstoppable

Never expected to see our run game so inconsistent. I blame Pouncey and Feiler. Watch the games...they are getting blown up at the point of attack

I think our D is still good against the pass and we've been elite at generating turnovers.

And we were elite at stopping the run until the Ravens game.

I'm happy to give them more time, but I'm worried about the run D.

I think it would be dicey in the playoffs if we end up playing whatever the 2020 version of the Jags game is (probably the Ravens).

But games between good teams can easily go either way.

flippy
11-19-2020, 10:16 AM
I thought our punter would continue to suck. Berry has been a positive surprise and has the 10 most yards per kick.

I expected the D to be better. They seem to have a lot more ups and downs this year. I think we’re generally better playing man coverage vs zone. There have been some nice surprises on the unit. I think losing Hargrave had a much bigger impact than any of us realize.

I thought Ben would be connecting on deep passes to CC, Washington, and DJ with regularity by now. But instead we’ve got a 6.8 YPA Ben leading us. He’s playing great in some ways and he still has some flashes of the old Big Ben. But he has reverted to being a game manager and I honestly would have never thought this style of play would have worked for him.

i expected us to be mediocre on ST, but Ray Ray is a pleasant surprise. Surpassed my expectations by a mile.

i think we’ll keep improving and still have a ways to go to develop in a SuperBowl champion. However, the one negative thought that still creeps in the back of my head is there’s going to be an important game and we’re going to go 3 and out deep in our end and Berry’s going to shank a 20 yard punt out of our own end zone and cost us a game. I think it every time I he punts deep in our territory. And I know it’s the slowest grocery line thinking on my part.

Oviedo
11-19-2020, 10:46 AM
I thought our punter would continue to suck. Berry has been a positive surprise and has the 10 most yards per kick.

I expected the D to be better. They seem to have a lot more ups and downs this year. I think we’re generally better playing man coverage vs zone. There have been some nice surprises on the unit. I think losing Hargrave had a much bigger impact than any of us realize.

I thought Ben would be connecting on deep passes to CC, Washington, and DJ with regularity by now. But instead we’ve got a 6.8 YPA Ben leading us. He’s playing great in some ways and he still has some flashes of the old Big Ben. But he has reverted to being a game manager and I honestly would have never thought this style of play would have worked for him.

i expected us to be mediocre on ST, but Ray Ray is a pleasant surprise. Surpassed my expectations by a mile.

i think we’ll keep improving and still have a ways to go to develop in a SuperBowl champion. However, the one negative thought that still creeps in the back of my head is there’s going to be an important game and we’re going to go 3 and out deep in our end and Berry’s going to shank a 20 yard punt out of our own end zone and cost us a game. I think it every time I he punts deep in our territory. And I know it’s the slowest grocery line thinking on my part.

Good catch, but I forgot about Ray Ray. Guy is electric. Everytime he gets the ball I hold my breath (in a good way) waiting for a big splash play.

Front office gets an A+ for getting him

The glass is always half full!!!! If in the slowest line, just read the tabloid magazines to kill time.

Mr.wizard
11-19-2020, 11:27 AM
This is the only year I didnt predict we would go undefeated :wft

Northern_Blitz
11-19-2020, 12:02 PM

That's a great point.

Nice to have a returner that (1) catches it and then (2) runs forward.

I also agree that it's nice to feel like we haven't peaked yet.

Hopefully we keep improving through game 20. I'm assuming that we don't get the bye here, or that we have an amazing 1st preseason game next season.

Don't want to write 19 in case there's a monkey paw floating around somewhere.

https://media4.giphy.com/media/l2Je3CWfCzRzgfkIw/source.gif

Northern_Blitz
11-19-2020, 12:03 PM
This is the only year I didnt predict we would go undefeated :wft

This is tricky. Should you predict that we won't win the SB?

Too much pressure to decide.

hawaiiansteel
11-19-2020, 12:53 PM
Steel Maniac won't be able to list all his "shamless" incorrect predictions, you can't submit a post with more than 10,000 letters. ;)

ikestops85
11-19-2020, 02:56 PM
steel maniac won't be able to list all his "shamless" incorrect predictions, you can't submit a post with more than 10,000 letters. ;)

boom!!! :D

whisper
11-19-2020, 06:52 PM
Steel Maniac won't be able to list all his "shamless" incorrect predictions, you can't submit a post with more than 10,000 letters. ;)

Another good thread tainted with your Steel Maniac obsession.

hawaiiansteel
11-19-2020, 08:05 PM
boom!!! :D

Double Boom!! :D :D

fordfixer
11-19-2020, 09:11 PM
I thought we would win all of our games 2 to 0. :oops:

Captain Lemming
11-20-2020, 03:19 AM
Good catch, but I forgot about Ray Ray. Guy is electric. Everytime he gets the ball I hold my breath (in a good way) waiting for a big splash play.

Front office gets an A+ for getting him

The glass is always half full!!!! If in the slowest line, just read the tabloid magazines to kill time.

At glance I thought you was talking about a former Raider punter.

whisper
11-20-2020, 03:40 AM
Here's mine:

I never thought Conner would last this many games; of course I thought if he did he'd be better.

I didn't think Tomlin would do this well as the coach. It appears he has evolved.

I didn't think this draft class would produce this much. 1st pick, Fitz, 2nd CC, Highsmith, seen on the field often, McFly not really contributing much but we'll see, Dotson looks really promising.

NorthCoast
11-24-2020, 01:17 PM
Not necessarily a prediction for this season, but if we are in the confessional, I have to admit I was wrong on C Wentz, saying he could be the second coming of Roethlisberger. But, after his injury he just has never looked the same. He's turned into C. Palmer2.0...

Northern_Blitz
11-24-2020, 05:53 PM
I thought we would win all of our games 2 to 0. :oops:

You get partial credit!!!! :tt2:tt2:tt2:tt2:tt2:tt2:tt2:tt2

NorthCoast
11-24-2020, 07:10 PM

Is partial credit still a thing these days? I thought it was all or nothing?

fordfixer
11-24-2020, 10:39 PM
Is partial credit still a thing these days? I thought it was all or nothing?
I’ll take whatever credit I can get. ;)

fordfixer
11-24-2020, 10:42 PM
Thanks Blitz :Cheers

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-25-2020, 12:49 AM
Here's a spot where we can man up and admit what we got wrong so far this year.

1) I thought that the rookies wouldn't be able to contribute much this season with the lack of off-season / preseason. Turns out every one of our most recent draft class has already dressed in an NFL game this year (probably a pretty rare occurrence). And Claypool, Highsmith, and Dotson (at least) have played pretty meaningful roles.

2) I didn't think that Ben would be as good as he has been. I thought he'd come back and look something like an average NFL QB (especially early). I think he's embraced the short passing game and is providing very high quality play (smart decisions, quick throws, few turnovers).

3) I thought we'd drop one to the Bengals last week.
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/LightheartedSnappyBuckeyebutterfly-small.gif

4) Not sure about including this one or not. I thought that the D would regress because you basically can't do as well as we did last year in multiple years. But I thought it would be more around turnovers and that the run and pass D would remain very strong.

We're not quite on pace for the 38 turnovers we got last season (17 through 9 games so far). This part surprised me, but we're tied for the lead in turnovers (the Bucs are tied with us but haven't had their bye, so we're leading the lead on a per game basis). So I think I'm technically right on this in that we will have fewer than last year, but we still look very good to elite on take aways.

The run D looked elite at the beginning of the years, but some combination of injuries and regression has us now looking somewhere between terrible and average.

Anyway, feel free to chime in with your own Shameless Owning of Incorrect Predictions.

Owning up to your incorrect predictions? You just don't get the internet, do you North? ;)

Captain Lemming
11-25-2020, 01:57 PM
It takes humility to own ones mistakes.

I will follow your lead....

Captain Lemming freely admits:
Our bye week was much earlier than I anticipated.

Wow, that was rough but it was the right thing to do.

I feel so much better now. :)

Northern_Blitz
12-27-2020, 06:31 PM
I thought we wouldn't win another game this year AND that MR gave us about an even chance at winning as Ben.

I would have sat Ben down in the 2nd half of the Cincy game and probably would have given him a short leash today.

I bet lots of us felt the same. Especially after losing to the Bungles.

Very happy be wrong and to see some old time Ben in the 2nd half.

I hope he gets 5 more wins this year.

Bonus: I also thought that we were sure to extend Ben after this season. We won't know if that prediction is wrong for a few months. But I don't think I'd do it as of today (even after a great game).

Captain Lemming
12-27-2020, 07:02 PM
I thought we wouldn't win another game this year AND that MR gave us about an even chance at winning as Ben.

I would have sat Ben down in the 2nd half of the Cincy game and probably would have given him a short leash today.

I bet lots of us felt the same. Especially after losing to the Bungles.

Very happy be wrong and to see some old time Ben in the 2nd half.

I hope he gets 5 more wins this year.

Bonus: I also thought that we were sure to extend Ben after this season. We won't know if that prediction is wrong for a few months. But I don't think I'd do it as of today (even after a great game).

I too worried we'd never see Ben return to form. I still worry it was temporary.

But as far as Mason...we gotta dance with the girl we brought.

Our ONLY CHANCE is if Ben can do it.

If he can somehow get on a hot streak and sustain a few games it is not impossible.

Northern_Blitz
12-27-2020, 07:33 PM
I too worried we'd never see Ben return to form. I still worry it was temporary.

But as far as Mason...we gotta dance with the girl we brought.

Our ONLY CHANCE is if Ben can do it.

If he can somehow get on a hot streak and sustain a few games it is not impossible.

It's just the 1st half against Cincy was so bad...

But I feel much more comfortable after the 2nd half today (2nd half against Cincy was OK too).

I also worry that it's temporary. But knowing it's still a possibility even against a good D gives me hope for the playoffs.

Shawn
12-28-2020, 10:49 AM
I shamelessly admit that I've gotten nothing wrong...yet again. lol jk

Actually, Connor still being the best back on this team did surprise me. I expected McFarland to make a bigger impact this year.

Eich
12-28-2020, 10:54 AM
I shamelessly admit that I've gotten nothing wrong...yet again. lol jk

Actually, Connor still being the best back on this team did surprise me. I expected McFarland to make a bigger impact this year.

I expected Snell to be better too. I don't think any of them are something defenses are really concerned about. Although the OL has been below-the-line, our backs don't seem to have greatest vision. And none of them can make a hole like Bettis could.

Shawn
12-28-2020, 11:03 AM
I expected Snell to be better too. I don't think any of them are something defenses are really concerned about. Although the OL has been below-the-line, our backs don't seem to have greatest vision. And none of them can make a hole like Bettis could. They have all struggled because of the OL. We need to make the OL a priority in this years draft. I would really like to get that big C/G from Bama.

Northern_Blitz
12-28-2020, 11:22 AM
They have all struggled because of the OL. We need to make the OL a priority in this years draft. I would really like to get that big C/G from Bama.

Hard when you get hit in the backfield most plays.

Shawn
12-28-2020, 02:27 PM
Hard when you get hit in the backfield most plays. I fully agree with that.

feltdizz
12-28-2020, 03:22 PM
Hard when you get hit in the backfield most plays.

did you see the Colts RB make 2 players miss in the backfield?

Not saying our RB’s should do that every play but this is the difference between our RB’s and most other teams.

I definitely expected more from Snell past game regardless of blocking. Our RB’s need to make things happen on some of those plays where blocking is trash.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-28-2020, 04:31 PM

Not saying our RB’s should do that every play but this is the difference between our RB’s and most other teams.

I definitely expected more from Snell past game regardless of blocking. Our RB’s need to make things happen on some of those plays where blocking is trash.

the other thing that impressed me about Stewart was how many times he was stopped but still managed to grab an extra 2-3 yards. Stopped cold for a gain of 2 yet somehow by the time he was wrestled down it was a five yard gain. I always thought that was the biggest skill of Emmitt Smith. He never was stopped cold, he always managed to wiggle forward for 2.

Northern_Blitz
12-28-2020, 05:49 PM
the other thing that impressed me about Stewart was how many times he was stopped but still managed to grab an extra 2-3 yards. Stopped cold for a gain of 2 yet somehow by the time he was wrestled down it was a five yard gain. I always thought that was the biggest skill of Emmitt Smith. He never was stopped cold, he always managed to wiggle forward for 2.

They had a ton of second effort plays in the first half especially. Looked very strong.

Northern_Blitz
03-04-2021, 04:02 PM
I thought there was no chance that Ben would take a pay cut this year.

Happy to be wrong.

Hoping to be wrong about our chance to compete next year.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-04-2021, 04:52 PM

Happy to be wrong.

Hoping to be wrong about our chance to compete next year.

And you owe me a beer. :D

And none of that watered-down American stuff.

Northern_Blitz
03-04-2021, 05:09 PM
And you owe me a beer. :D

And none of that watered-down American stuff.

Do you want a 50 or an Export :p?

Back when I was drinking at house parties in high school, I'd go with Molson Ultra. Seemed like the highest [ (alcohol %) / $ ] if you wanted to stick with beer. And the times I didn't stick with beer at that age didn't end well.

Happy to be paying out on this one (provided the cost isn't anywhere near the pay cut).

NorthCoast
03-04-2021, 05:40 PM

Happy to be wrong.

Hoping to be wrong about our chance to compete next year.I don't think I'm on record that Roethlisberger wouldn't take a paycut (board police can check it). Now that it's done, I hope other changes on offense will give a better result than last season.

Steel Maniac
03-04-2021, 05:45 PM
I don't think I'm on record that Roethlisberger wouldn't take a paycut (board police can check it). Now that it's done, I hope other changes on offense will give a better result than last season.

I don’t think you did either. But If someone did , it’s no bigge. I think it’s all about what they do now in other areas to save money.

hawaiiansteel
03-04-2021, 05:52 PM

I believe the Steelers fully realize that.

I would be very surprised if we don't draft a RB in the first 3 rounds.

feltdizz
03-04-2021, 07:27 PM
I believe the Steelers fully realize that.

I would be very surprised if we don't draft a RB in the first 3 rounds.

We need a difference maker at RB if we want different results. The idea that we can put anyone breathing back there is hilarious.

I’m hoping Canada can bring out the best in McFarland and we get away from the “hey everyone, this guy is getting the ball because its the only time he see’s the field” running plays with Snell and McFarland.

feltdizz
03-04-2021, 07:28 PM
and the OP misspelled Shamelessly

its Shamlessly

shamful

hawaiiansteel
03-04-2021, 07:36 PM

its Shamlessly

shamful

lolololol :D

Northern_Blitz
03-04-2021, 07:57 PM

its Shamlessly

shamful

I shamelessly own my inability to spell.

The thing that kills me is that the auto correct on my phone always goes to "thunk" (which I never write) instead of "think" (which I write all the time).

I guess the good news is that AI isn't going to take over the world any time soon.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-04-2021, 08:07 PM
Do you want a 50 or an Export :p?

Back when I was drinking at house parties in high school, I'd go with Molson Ultra. Seemed like the highest [ (alcohol %) / $ ] if you wanted to stick with beer. And the times I didn't stick with beer at that age didn't end well.

Happy to be paying out on this one (provided the cost isn't anywhere near the pay cut).

Happier about the pay cut than the beer, but both makes it even better. I'll even be a good guy about it and buy the first round....then you can buy the next 8. :D

feltdizz
03-04-2021, 08:16 PM
I shamelessly own my inability to spell.

The thing that kills me is that the auto correct on my phone always goes to "thunk" (which I never write) instead of "think" (which I write all the time).

I guess the good news is that AI isn't going to take over the world any time soon.

that’s what you thunk

Northern_Blitz
03-05-2021, 10:38 AM
Happier about the pay cut than the beer, but both makes it even better. I'll even be a good guy about it and buy the first round....then you can buy the next 8. :D

Thanks...this is why Canadians are the best.

https://media3.giphy.com/media/MBxjx8okq3WfilCHkP/giphy-downsized-large.gif

Northern_Blitz
03-05-2021, 08:02 PM
We need a difference maker at RB if we want different results. The idea that we can put anyone breathing back there is hilarious.

I’m hoping Canada can bring out the best in McFarland and we get away from the “hey everyone, this guy is getting the ball because its the only time he see’s the field” running plays with Snell and McFarland.

I think you've got the argument on this one backwards.

I don't think people are saying you can have success with any back.

I think they are saying you can't have success running with a bad OL.

And that it will be harder to find 2 or 3 good starting OL than 1 good starting back.

Or even that we might have a competent back now but we wouldn't know it because the line couldn't run block at all.

Buzz
03-05-2021, 08:58 PM

And that it will be harder to find 2 or 3 good starting OL than 1 good starting back.

Or even that we might have a competent back now but we wouldn't know it because the line couldn't run block at all.

Well put. Our run blocking sucks. Improve it, and quit trying to run so much out of the shotgun formation, and our current backs might not look so bad.

Ernie
03-06-2021, 06:18 AM

That's exactly what folks are saying. You can't have success in this league running the ball.. with a poor OL

Ernie
03-06-2021, 06:20 AM
Well put. Our run blocking sucks. Improve it, and quit trying to run so much out of the shotgun formation, and our current backs might not look so bad.

Agreed 100%. We all know the "Gun" is used so much because of Ben's lack of mobility.
It is sad to have so much invested in a player with so many flaws at this point in his career. Certainly puts us at a competitive disadvantage... especially with the lower cap

Northern_Blitz
03-06-2021, 07:25 AM
Agreed 100%. We all know the "Gun" is used so much because of Ben's lack of mobility.
It is sad to have so much invested in a player with so many flaws at this point in his career. Certainly puts us at a competitive disadvantage... especially with the lower cap

I don't imagine that we'll see huge changes running under center...although my record of predictions is what started (and then bumped) this thread :p

At the Depot (and probably elsewhere) they've talked about how maybe Canada tries to use more pistol to try to keep Ben away from right under center but maybe improve the running game.

Steel Maniac
03-06-2021, 10:57 AM

Well this is where we are at. We have a front office afraid to move on from him. They have no plan obviously at the qb position for the future so we keep rolling Ben out there.

If he could go under center , allowing the possibilities of play action , that would go along way in helping the offense in its entirety.

hawaiiansteel
03-06-2021, 12:16 PM
I don't imagine that we'll see huge changes running under center...although my record of predictions is what started (and then bumped) this thread :p

At the Depot (and probably elsewhere) they've talked about how maybe Canada tries to use more pistol to try to keep Ben away from right under center but maybe improve the running game.

I think you're right, that was a good article and we'll likely see quite a bit of Canada's pistol offense.