PDA

View Full Version : Colbert

Disco1981
11-16-2020, 10:32 AM
It's been addressed ad nauseum about Tomlin on here...MY opinion, When the Steelers are gonna be in real trouble is when this guy ( Colbert ) hangs it up...The best of the best, and the real NO. 1 reason behind the Steelers ALWAYS being beyond competitive!

Drafting is amazing!

Heath
Ben
Faneca
Smith, Aaron
Hampton
Porter
Ike
Troy
Diesel
Clark, Ryan
Santonio
Townsend
Woodley
Timmons
Gay
Mendenhall
Wallace
AB ( pre crazy )
Lewis, Keenan
Bell
Sanders, Emmanuel
Heyward
Vince
Decastro
Pouncey
Big Al
Shazier
Gravedigger
Tuitt
Bud
Watt
Conner
JuJu
Dionte
Bush
Chase
Sutton
Dotson
Highsmith
Okorofor

WHAT an amazing list! How many HOF'ers! Continually Drafting at, or near the bottom of the rounds!

Hardly ever trade, or dabble in Free Agency...But even then , when we do...

Trades: Kimo, Bettis, Farrior, Haden Minkah...Just great, great trades!

Free Agency: DeAngelo Williams, Nelson, Vance, Ebron..Again, great!

I'm just a huge Colbert fan...I believe he's the best in the business BY FAR...

Curious to everyones opinions...

SidSmythe
11-16-2020, 11:20 AM
He missed on Jarvis Jones though. He sucks!!!

Disco1981
11-16-2020, 11:30 AM
He missed on Jarvis Jones though. He sucks!!!

He sure did!

Steel Maniac
11-16-2020, 12:24 PM
Colbert/Rooney's are our saving grace. The stability and culture they bring allows this franchise to thrive and be successful year after year. Rooney's/ Colbert have kept our culture and identity the same no matter who our coach is. Colbert and Rooney Jr. are the best Owner/GM combo in the league in my opinion.

flippy
11-16-2020, 12:48 PM
I think it’s hard to come up with who deserves what credit.

I would suggest you need to look at the differences between Cowher/Colbert and Tomlin/Colbert.

I think coaches have a lot of influence here. During the Cowher era, I was 100% confident in our #1 pick to be solid the majority of the time. During the Tomlin era, I think we’re going to generally pick a young guy with lots more upside that’s not as safe.

Then you look at certain positions and see it’s never been Colbert that’s had an insane knack for finding quality WRs prior to Tomlin.

Then you also have to consider the assistant coaches. Id suggest Duck Lebeau left a pretty big mark on both the Cowher and Tomlin eras. There have been other coaches over the years that have had some sway in the drafts and personnel.

If it was all in Colbert, we would have consistently built similar teams during different coaching tenured. Back in the Cowher days, it was all built around running and stopping the run.

Plus, if Rooney didn’t make the case for Ben, I’m not sure we’d have won 2 more SuperBowls. And when I think back to that discussion it was Cowher that wanted the OT while Rooney wanted Ben. Was Colbert part of that decision? I’m sure on some level, but the way the story goes it seems to me that Colbert isn’t calling the shots.

Steel Maniac
11-16-2020, 12:56 PM

I would suggest you need to look at the differences between Cowher/Colbert and Tomlin/Colbert.

I think coaches have a lot of influence here. During the Cowher era, I was 100% confident in our #1 pick to be solid the majority of the time. During the Tomlin era, I think we’re going to generally pick a young guy with lots more upside that’s not as safe.

Then you look at certain positions and see it’s never been Colbert that’s had an insane knack for finding quality WRs prior to Tomlin.

Then you also have to consider the assistant coaches. Id suggest Duck Lebeau left a pretty big mark on both the Cowher and Tomlin eras. There have been other coaches over the years that have had some sway in the drafts and personnel.

If it was all in Colbert, we would have consistently built similar teams during different coaching tenured. Back in the Cowher days, it was all built around running and stopping the run.

Plus, if Rooney didn’t make the case for Ben, I’m not sure we’d have won 2 more SuperBowls. And when I think back to that discussion it was Cowher that wanted the OT while Rooney wanted Ben. Was Colbert part of that decision? I’m sure on some level, but the way the story goes it seems to me that Colbert isn’t calling the shots.

I know I'm not trying to say who deserves more; I'm just saying I'm appreciative of what the Colbert/Rooney union brings to the table when working together. Period. No comparing coaches or anything like that for me.

feltdizz
11-16-2020, 12:56 PM

Everyone works for the same goal on our coaching and FO staff. They all deserve credit.

hawaiiansteel
11-16-2020, 01:45 PM
No comparing coaches or anything like that for me.

except when you do it in your sig, of course. :roll:

Chucktownsteeler
11-16-2020, 03:58 PM
I think Tomlin's repoire with players in general is often overlooked as well. To some degree you have to give him credit for Haden, Alulua, and Minka wanting to play with the Steelers. I'm sure I missed others as well.

Northern_Blitz
11-16-2020, 04:10 PM
It's been addressed ad nauseum about Tomlin on here...MY opinion, When the Steelers are gonna be in real trouble is when this guy ( Colbert ) hangs it up...The best of the best, and the real NO. 1 reason behind the Steelers ALWAYS being beyond competitive!

Drafting is amazing!

Heath
Ben
Faneca
Smith, Aaron
Hampton
Porter
Ike
Troy
Diesel
Clark, Ryan
Santonio
Townsend
Woodley
Timmons
Gay
Mendenhall
Wallace
AB ( pre crazy )
Lewis, Keenan
Bell
Sanders, Emmanuel
Heyward
Vince
Decastro
Pouncey
Big Al
Shazier
Gravedigger
Tuitt
Bud
Watt
Conner
JuJu
Dionte
Bush
Chase
Sutton
Dotson
Highsmith
Okorofor

WHAT an amazing list! How many HOF'ers! Continually Drafting at, or near the bottom of the rounds!

Hardly ever trade, or dabble in Free Agency...But even then , when we do...

Trades: Kimo, Bettis, Farrior, Haden Minkah...Just great, great trades!

Free Agency: DeAngelo Williams, Nelson, Vance, Ebron..Again, great!

I'm just a huge Colbert fan...I believe he's the best in the business BY FAR...

Curious to everyones opinions...

This is a great point.

We've been lucky with transitions between GMs / director of football ops.

Just like we've been lucky with coaches.

And with owners.

My guess is that the Rooneys don't have huge egos and they try to hires leaders that also aren't driven by their egos.

But the samples are small, so it could be dumb luck

Steel Maniac
11-16-2020, 04:18 PM
This is a great point.

We've been lucky with transitions between GMs / director of football ops.

Considering how Colbert is doing things year to year now, any thoughts about who could be our next GM if Colbert decides to hang it up in the next couple of years?

Northern_Blitz
11-16-2020, 04:28 PM
Considering how Colbert is doing things year to year now, any thoughts about who could be our next GM if Colbert decides to hang it up in the next couple of years?

In house names I've heard talked about are

Kahn or Brandon Hunt.

But who knows.

Years before Tom D left, I don't think anyone was predicting a guy from the Lions would come in.

feltdizz
11-16-2020, 04:38 PM
except when you do it in your sig, of course. :roll:

Before the season last year this dude predicted Tomlin wouldn’t get a contract extension because he was awful.

“Just wait...” he said
”I’ll be proven right...” he said
”The Rooney’s don’t have faith in Tomlin” he said

Steel Maniac
11-16-2020, 04:42 PM
In house names I've heard talked about are

Kahn or Brandon Hunt.

But who knows.

Years before Tom D left, I don't think anyone was predicting a guy from the Lions would come in.

True; when the times comes, Rooney will find the right guy.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-16-2020, 05:06 PM
Funny enough, it is not really the Rooneys who were responsible for Colbert. He was essentially hired by Cowher, who had just won a power struggle with Donahoe and, despite the typical structure, had more power than Colbert.

Steel Maniac
11-16-2020, 05:12 PM
Funny enough, it is not really the Rooneys who were responsible for Colbert. He was essentially hired by Cowher, who had just won a power struggle with Donahoe and, despite the typical structure, had more power than Colbert.

Which would give credence to Rooney making the call on Big Ben over Cowher’s objections.

hawaiiansteel
11-16-2020, 05:20 PM
Before the season last year this dude predicted Tomlin wouldn’t get a contract extension because he was awful.

“Just wait...” he said
”I’ll be proven right...” he said
”The Rooney’s don’t have faith in Tomlin” he said

yes, I remember.

add it to the lengthy list of things he has been totally wrong about.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-16-2020, 09:17 PM
Which would give credence to Rooney making the call on Big Ben over Cowher’s objections.

Absolutely. A mix that somehow worked out in the end. Imagine the last 17 years with Big Ben as a Buffalo Bill.

Steel Maniac
11-16-2020, 09:21 PM
Absolutely. A mix that somehow worked out in the end. Imagine the last 17 years with Big Ben as a Buffalo Bill.

Yeah, you've got a point.

hawaiiansteel
11-16-2020, 09:24 PM

I don't want to imagine the last 17 years with Shawn Andrews instead of Big Ben.

we might still only have four Lombardis...

Captain Lemming
11-16-2020, 10:43 PM

Rooney said, "the room" wanted the tackle over Ben. That includes Colbert.

Captain Lemming
11-16-2020, 10:50 PM

Tomlin as GM/coach.....it would be worth it just to see half the board lose their minds......Haaaaa. :stirpot:stirpot:stirpot

Disco1981
11-16-2020, 11:20 PM
Tomlin as GM/coach.....it would be worth it just to see half the board lose their minds......Haaaaa. :stirpot:stirpot:stirpot

Uhhhhhhhh...No thanks

flippy
11-17-2020, 05:25 PM

Interesting, I didn't remember that. I always thought of Colbert as the guy we brought in to give Cowher the power and appease the coach.

I do sense that Colbert / Tomlin are back to the typical GM / Coach roles / relationship.

I would be interested to see someone do some digging and interview all these guys to better understand their working relationships and how they evolved over time.

In general Colbert seems like a pretty laid back and nice guy, but I sense he might like Tomlin better given the way they interact. But Cowher was here so long ago, my memory of their relationship might not be as fresh.

Disco1981
11-17-2020, 06:15 PM

I don't remember that...proof? The only thing I heard was COWHER wanted the Tackle and Rooney said emphatically no!

Steel Maniac
11-17-2020, 06:53 PM
I don't remember that...proof? The only thing I heard was COWHER wanted the Tackle and Rooney said emphatically no!

That's how I heard the story as well.

Disco1981
11-17-2020, 07:03 PM
That's how I heard the story as well.

Yep... COWHER wanted to Andrews...Rooney said Nope...Not making the same mistake like we did with Marino, Is how I always heard it!

Captain Lemming
11-17-2020, 07:13 PM
Yep... COWHER wanted to Andrews...Rooney said Nope...Not making the same mistake like we did with Marino, Is how I always heard it!

Proof?
Here is the direct quote from Rooneys book that you referenced:

“Our staff concluded that Eli Manning and Philip Rivers were the most polished of the prospects available, but there also was a big, strong talented kid at Miami of Ohio named Ben Roethlisberger who intrigued a lot of our scouts. Manning and Rivers were picked before our turn, and so our people seemed to have focused on Shawn Andrews, a big offensive tackle from Arkansas as our likely number one pick. But when our turn came, I couldn’t bear the thought of passing on another great quarterback prospect the way we passed on Dan Marino in 1983, so I steered the conversation around to Roethlisberger. After some more talk, we came to a consensus and picked Roethlisberger.”

The name Cowher does not exist in the discussion.

The expression, "our people" being a plural expression cannot be indicative of a single person in that quote, it clearly refers to a consensus prior to Rooneys intervention not just Cowher.

I have NEVER seen a quote where he mentioned Cowher specifically. I would challenge anyone to find such a quote.

Nevertheless, considering this quote it is easy to come to the conclusion that Cowher was a part of the consensus that wanted Andrews, (btw, I share that conclusion). But it is just as much an indictment of Colbert as he too was on of "our people".

If Colbert felt differently, as GM it would seem Rooney would suggest opinions were split but by all indications they were not.

Buzz
11-17-2020, 08:07 PM
Proof?

The expression, "our people" being a plural expression cannot be indicative of a single person in that quote, it clearly refers to a consensus prior to Rooneys intervention not just Cowher.

I have NEVER seen a quote where he mentioned Cowher specifically. I would challenge anyone to find such a quote.

Nevertheless, considering this quote it is easy to come to the conclusion that Cowher was a part of the consensus that wanted Andrews, (btw, I share that conclusion). But it is just as much an indictment of Colbert as he too was on of "our people".

But if Colbert felt differently as GM it would seem Rooney would suggest opinions were split but by all indications they were not.

According to Dan, they all became a part of the consensus to pick Roethlisberger. I'm thankful that Rooney brought up Ben for consideration, but also, I'm thankful that Colbert & Co. were smart enough to go along with that selection.

Captain Lemming
11-17-2020, 08:17 PM
According to Dan, they all became a part of the consensus to pick Roethlisberger. I'm thankful that Rooney brought up Ben for consideration, but also, I'm thankful that Colbert & Co. were smart enough to go along with that selection.

Best ownership in the league. Hire football people you trust to make decisions. No Snyder or Jerry Jones constant meddling.

But recognize the rare occasion you need to "pull rank" on those guys when its called for. :)

whisper
11-17-2020, 09:24 PM
If Tomlin became the GM and HC, then all our players would be from a VA or MD school or come from WPA (Rooney influence). :)

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-18-2020, 04:19 PM
Proof?

If Colbert felt differently, as GM it would seem Rooney would suggest opinions were split but by all indications they were not.

Also, the way Rooney tells it it seems more like he swayed the decision instead of excercizing his veto. Obviously the others know whose voice is the loudest, and I don't know if he tells the story this way to allow the others to save face, but in the end there was a consensus according to DR.

Steel Maniac
11-18-2020, 04:22 PM
If Tomlin became the GM and HC, then all our players would be from a VA or MD school or come from WPA (Rooney influence). :)

Hahahahahahaha.

Northern_Blitz
11-18-2020, 06:34 PM

Aren't they already? :p

Captain Lemming
11-18-2020, 09:59 PM
If Tomlin became the GM and HC, then all our players would be from a VA or MD school or come from WPA (Rooney influence).

Aren't they already? :p

Well If you just count safeties that ain't even an exaggeration

NJ-STEELER
11-18-2020, 10:22 PM
Proof?

when your the owner, and you don't agree with the choice your employees are coming up, you "steer" the conversation back to roethlisberger.
that should have been a clear cut sign to "the people in the room" that the owner wanted ben. especially to a staff coming off of a 6 year period with no playoffs in 4. so yeah, you suddenly agree with the boss's assessment of the big QB out of Ohio

Rooney let them know while not being obvious and stepping on their toes, like a controlling owner like Jerry Jones would have

Rooney deserves more credit here then he's given, but he likely never cared about things like that

NJ-STEELER
11-18-2020, 10:26 PM
Also, the way Rooney tells it it seems more like he swayed the decision instead of excercizing his veto. Obviously the others know whose voice is the loudest, and I don't know if he tells the story this way to allow the others to save face, but in the end there was a consensus according to DR.

yes indeed, wrote my reply above before reading this post

Northern_Blitz
11-19-2020, 07:15 AM
If we win another SB while he's here, does Colbert get into the hall?

I wonder how many GMs have 3 SB rings and appearances in 4 SBs?

I personally think there's a real argument that only players really belong in the hall. But if you allow administrators, I'd imagine that Colber would have a pretty solid argument if we win another (maybe even without it?).

I don't know much about what he did before he got here, but wikipedia only has him listed at scouting director at Detroid (I thought he was a GM there....guess I was wrong).