PDA

View Full Version : Steelers offensive line’s run-blocking ‘below par’

Pages : [1] 2

hawaiiansteel
11-11-2020, 05:10 PM
Steelers offensive line’s run-blocking ‘below par’

CHRIS ADAMSKI | Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Four current members of the Pittsburgh Steelers offensive line break the huddle along with quarterback Masn Rudolph (2) during a game last season. Offensive line coach Shaun Sarrett said his unit is aware it needs to improve its run blocking this season.

After an early strong start to the season in the running game, the Pittsburgh Steelers aren’t getting results from their run-blockers.

The men who comprise the bulk of those responsibilities recognize the problem, too.

“They’re spinning the bit,” offensive line coach Shaun Sarrett said of his unit’s recent failings in run-blocking. “They know it. It starts at the top. We were below par on all of it. That’s something these guys take great pride in and the coaches take great pride in, you know. We’re the same way. We’re just going to keep working at it. We’re going to make it better. We have to get better at it. They know we have to get better at it. The players know. They spend as much time watching film as anybody else. It’s just one of those deals. Like you just said, jelling early. It happens sometimes. We just have to keep working.”

The Steelers have totaled 188 rushing yards over their past three games, an average of 62.7 per contest while averaging 3.2 per carry in that time.

For perspective, over the full season that would rank the Steelers last in the NFL in yards per carry and per game.

Even while taking into account that the Steelers had a 100-plus yard individual rusher in four of their first five games, they have fallen to 19th in the NFL in rushing yards per game and 23rd in yards per carry,

The subjective data and more advanced metrics paint an even uglier picture for the Steelers offensive line in the running game. Pro Football Focus rates them as the league’s second-worst in run blocking. Footballoutsiders.com pegs the Steelers as the sixth-worst in the NFL in “Adjusted line yards,” a metric that takes into account the length of carries, down, distance, situation, opponent, and the difference in rushing average between shotgun compared to standard formations.

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers-offensive-lines-run-blocking-below-par/

NorthCoast
11-12-2020, 08:26 AM
To be that consistently bad over multiple games tells me something is systemically wrong. Looking at some advanced rushing stats, the guards are not getting it done. And I don't think the scheme is doing enough to help create openings or get defenses spread out. Someone mentioned too many runs out of the gun but Conner averages 4.7 yds from that formation vs 3.6 yds when under center.

I also think they give up too quickly on the run because Roethlisberger is impatient with it. You can sometimes see it in his body language after a run for no gain.

Oviedo
11-12-2020, 08:30 AM
I'm not sure its fixable because we got who we got.

I do wonder if we could actually score TDs on our first posessions whether we would be able to commit more to the run versus starting to air it out.

Also, lets not miss the point that our receiver talent is far better than our RB talent. We have far more playmakers at WR than RB and it ain't close

NorthCoast
11-12-2020, 09:07 AM
I'm not sure its fixable because we got who we got.

I do wonder if we could actually score TDs on our first posessions whether we would be able to commit more to the run versus starting to air it out.

Also, lets not miss the point that our receiver talent is far better than our RB talent. We have far more playmakers at WR than RB and it ain't closeValid points Ovi. What is strange is that the Steelers rushing game started out very strong, with 100 yd rushers for the first few weeks. Then defenses suddenly shut them down and there's been no visible progress on getting it going again. And of course, everyone's fear is having Rudolph step in and try to run a Roethlisberger offense..... game over man. (I read he is getting extra snaps this week, "just in case")

flippy
11-12-2020, 09:48 AM
Spread the offense out with 3 and 4 WRs sets. Conner is a good blocker in the backfield and runs pretty well out of the shotgun when there's room and everything's not bunched up at the LOS and we can't block everyone.

The Man of Steel
11-12-2020, 09:57 AM
I’m of the opinion that we need a fullback in there. Sure Derek Watt has been hurt but Roosevelt Nix is just sitting around waiting on a phonecall should the Steelers be so inclined.

Buzz
11-12-2020, 10:58 AM
In upcoming drafts, we need to look for OL who can run block. Dotson looks like a good start.

Disco1981
11-12-2020, 11:21 AM
Dare I say..." Seems " like we ran better when Dotson was in the there, as opposed to Decastro...No proof beyond my eye test, maybe someone can produce facts

Steel Maniac
11-12-2020, 01:20 PM
They've got to try and do something; just can't sit here and be inadequate at running the ball. We are in a position (record wise) to tinker and try and get if corrected; if it can be corrected.

BURGH86STEEL
11-12-2020, 03:45 PM
The Oline definitely needs to get better. Especially in 3rd or 4th and short.

I think two factors that hurt run games chances of being established vs the Ravens and Cowboys were the time of possession and 3rd down %. Time of possession vs the Ravens was 24:38 and 3 for 9 on 3rd down. TIme of possession vs the Cowboys was 26:36 and 5 for 13 on 3rd down. I am not sure how often the Ravens and Cowboys stacked the box daring the Steelers to throw. Ben and the WRs need to make teams pay with big plays when the box is stacked against the run.

papillon
11-12-2020, 04:30 PM
If you want to run the football, put a fullback in the game and run downhill. You can pass the ball out of this formation, particularly with a HOF quarterback and very good receivers.

Pappy

Steel Maniac
11-12-2020, 05:40 PM
If you want to run the football, put a fullback in the game and run downhill. You can pass the ball out of this formation, particularly with a HOF quarterback and very good receivers.

Pappy

It's not rocket science.

hawaiiansteel
11-12-2020, 05:48 PM

I thought for sure that was the plan when we signed Derek Watt this offseason.

NorthCoast
11-12-2020, 06:02 PM
I thought for sure that was the plan when we signed Derek Watt this offseason.It was a sentimental signing... he's been less than useless this season.

whisper
11-12-2020, 07:05 PM
It was a sentimental signing... he's been less than useless this season.

But his brother is on the team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We should all wax our carrots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We need to add the 3rd brother too, because special needs Steeler fans think that would be extra great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

whisper
11-12-2020, 07:06 PM
https://stillcurtain.com/2020/11/11/3-reasons-steelers-concerned-run-game/?fbclid=IwAR1BbCpt8rwj43ZObNzQIw-XJHsze5cc6ID9ROHDO9ksAu-R-rrnjjkk_-k

This article echos what most of us have already stated.

hawaiiansteel
11-12-2020, 07:10 PM
But his brother is on the team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We should all wax our carrots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We need to add the 3rd brother too, because special needs Steeler fans think that would be extra great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

if only they were from Maryland or Virginia ;)

whisper
11-12-2020, 08:40 PM
if only they were from Maryland or Virginia ;)

You can't have it all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No, wait, best if they were from W PA, then went to school in MD or VA AND their dad is a Steeler fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NorthCoast
11-12-2020, 09:38 PM
https://stillcurtain.com/2020/11/11/3-reasons-steelers-concerned-run-game/?fbclid=IwAR1BbCpt8rwj43ZObNzQIw-XJHsze5cc6ID9ROHDO9ksAu-R-rrnjjkk_-k

This article echos what most of us have already stated.Fact check; on first downs the Steelers run 50% of the time vs 49% league average. This isn't really the problem. What is the problem is that regardless of whether it's a pass or run they've been miserably unsuccessful on first downs, ranking 28th on runs and 24th on passes in the NFL.

feltdizz
11-13-2020, 12:41 PM
I was actually impressed with Conners footwork in the Tennessee game. He ran well.

but he’s been an afterthought since that first half.

Steel Maniac
11-15-2020, 12:11 PM
Fact check; on first downs the Steelers run 50% of the time vs 49% league average. This isn't really the problem. What is the problem is that regardless of whether it's a pass or run they've been miserably unsuccessful on first downs, ranking 28th on runs and 24th on passes in the NFL.

Ouch! Well , I think Dotson isn’t playing today so that’s not going to help the cause. They’ve got to still be able to run on the bengals you would think?

whisper
11-15-2020, 03:15 PM
Ouch! Well , I think Dotson isn’t playing today so that’s not going to help the cause. They’ve got to still be able to run on the bengals you would think?

Dallas was supposedly record-setting in terms of soft rush D, and we couldn't run for jack crap last week. Is it time to realize we need an infusion of talent at OL and RB?

Captain Lemming
11-15-2020, 04:11 PM
Steelers offensive line’s run-blocking ‘below par’

The Steelers have totaled 188 rushing yards over their past three games, an average of 62.7 per contest while averaging 3.2 per carry in that time.

For perspective, over the full season that would rank the Steelers last in the NFL in yards per carry and per game.

If only Bell were still starting we would again be saved from finishing dead last. :)

Buzz
11-15-2020, 09:11 PM
Cinci one of the worst Ds vs. the run, and we couldn't do anything in that dept. I'm happy we're 9-0, but we have to figure something out to come up with some semblance of a rushing attack. I don't think we will be able to make a deep run otherwise.

Steel Maniac
11-15-2020, 09:44 PM
Cinci one of the worst Ds vs. the run, and we couldn't do anything in that dept. I'm happy we're 9-0, but we have to figure something out to come up with some semblance of a rushing attack. I don't think we will be able to make a deep run otherwise.

13 carries for 36 yards

hawaiiansteel
11-15-2020, 09:46 PM
13 carries for 36 yards

you must have had Conner starting on your fantasy team :roll:

pfelix73
11-15-2020, 09:53 PM
13 carries for 36 yards

They are talking about it now on the radio. Hm hah as Myron would say. the team has become more of a passing team at this point. Also, they should stop running Conner on those sweeps. Run him north south. it'll come, but as they were saying, Ben's just throwing the ball more. Same as it was 2 years ago. We'll be fine.

Steel Maniac
11-15-2020, 10:43 PM
They are talking about it now on the radio. Hm hah as Myron would say. the team has become more of a passing team at this point. Also, they should stop running Conner on those sweeps. Run him north south. it'll come, but as they were saying, Ben's just throwing the ball more. Same as it was 2 years ago. We'll be fine.

Couldn’t agree with you more. Conner running the sweep play needs to be taken out the play book. That’s a play McFarland would do better at.

Starlifter
11-15-2020, 11:56 PM

conner on the sweep is a great way to turn 1st and 10 into 2nd and 15. It also sends a strong signal when it's 3rd and 1, we line up power I and then fake run to a pass that falls incomplete. Tomlin says they don't live in their fears - but it sure seems like they were afraid of running something up the middle and imposing their will.

look, 9-0 covers up a lot of warts. it's possible teams are really stacking against the run which is opening up the pass. That seems crazy to me because Ben will pick that apart. So I'm not ready to declare the team has a problem with balance just yet - but like others have said, the lack of a power running game (if needed) could be a real problem come january.

Steel Maniac
11-16-2020, 12:11 AM
conner on the sweep is a great way to turn 1st and 10 into 2nd and 15. It also sends a strong signal when it's 3rd and 1, we line up power I and then fake run to a pass that falls incomplete. Tomlin says they don't live in their fears - but it sure seems like they were afraid of running something up the middle and imposing their will.

look, 9-0 covers up a lot of warts. it's possible teams are really stacking against the run which is opening up the pass. That seems crazy to me because Ben will pick that apart. So I'm not ready to declare the team has a problem with balance just yet - but like others have said, the lack of a power running game (if needed) could be a real problem come january.

Well you and pfelix73 said it; I didn’t.

Captain Lemming
11-16-2020, 12:11 AM

I said it before, we don't seem to struggle as much running when Dodson is playing.

I say if the oline let's us down come playoffs we need to overhaul the interior with younger cheaper players.

Steel Maniac
11-16-2020, 12:12 AM
Good call cap .

Buzz
11-16-2020, 01:09 AM

I don't mind us being more of a passing team, but we have to be able to run effectively when we need to. Right now, it sure doesn't look like that's the case.

feltdizz
11-16-2020, 07:38 AM
We don’t need to run this year.

Mr.wizard
11-16-2020, 07:58 AM
Ya im not sure the run is necessary with the short passing game, that seems to be much more effectove anyway. One spot it could hurt is short yardage.

NorthCoast
11-16-2020, 08:40 AM
I said it before, we don't seem to struggle as much running when Dodson is playing.

I say if the oline let's us down come playoffs we need to overhaul the interior with younger cheaper players.Stats don't seem to back it up. Dotson was a starter in Wks 1 & 2, and spot duty the rest of the time. What has disappeared completely is the explosive runs we saw in those games. Since Wk 4 they've been few and far between.

I was thinking Conner isn't decisive enough when handed the ball. He seems to do too much dancing back there. Then I checked nextgenstats and they track TLOS (time behind LOS). Conner is actually middling, while a guy like Chubb spends more time TLOS. I would have liked to see more of Snell earlier in the game to see if he could do better. The OL just seems terrible at zone blocking, and the double whammy is that they are not getting push straight ahead either.
In the postgame, C Batch claimed them were clogging the line with 8 ITB most of the game. Nextgenstats track that stat as well. Conner only faces 8 or more on 22% of carries so what's the deal with the other 78%?? (and Chubb faces eight almost 32% of the time and has no problem getting yds...)

As others have concluded (and Batch agrees), the Steelers are just not built as a running team. .... it's frustrating for us old school guys...:HeadBanger

Northern_Blitz
11-16-2020, 08:45 AM
Fact check; on first downs the Steelers run 50% of the time vs 49% league average. This isn't really the problem. What is the problem is that regardless of whether it's a pass or run they've been miserably unsuccessful on first downs, ranking 28th on runs and 24th on passes in the NFL.

Thankfully, we're currently unstoppable spreading it out.

A QB that makes good quick decisions (imagine writing that about Ben 10 years ago) and probably one of the best 4 deep corps of WRs in the league. Spread them out and take the best matchup.

But someone going to solve that eventually, so I'd like us to be good at more than 1 thing on O.

Oviedo
11-16-2020, 08:47 AM
We don’t need to run this year.

Not sure I agree with that, but we do not need to run east-west as much as we do. I have also noticed that Pouncey is getting stoned on run blocking. Feiler also seems to have regressed as the season has gone on

I'm not knowledgeable to recognize it, but are we still running trap plays?

Oviedo
11-16-2020, 08:49 AM
Stats don't seem to back it up. Dotson was a starter in Wks 1 & 2, and spot duty the rest of the time. What has disappeared completely is the explosive runs we saw in those games. Since Wk 4 they've been few and far between.

I was thinking Conner isn't decisive enough when handed the ball. He seems to do too much dancing back there. Then I checked nextgenstats and they track TLOS (time behind LOS). Conner is actually middling, while a guy like Chubb spends more time TLOS. I would have liked to see more of Snell earlier in the game to see if he could do better. The OL just seems terrible at zone blocking, and the double whammy is that they are not getting push straight ahead either.
In the postgame, C Batch claimed them were clogging the line with 8 ITB most of the game. Nextgenstats track that stat as well. Conner only faces 8 or more on 22% of carries so what's the deal with the other 78%?? (and Chubb faces eight almost 32% of the time and has no problem getting yds...)

As others have concluded (and Batch agrees), the Steelers are just not built as a running team. .... it's frustrating for us old school guys...:HeadBanger

Out with the old (guys), in with the new:)

feltdizz
11-16-2020, 10:58 AM
I think the refs letting holding go this year really helps our passing game. Sure hasn’t helped our run game tho.

Would like to see more Snell to see if it’s the OL or the RB.

Northern_Blitz
11-16-2020, 03:14 PM

I say if the oline let's us down come playoffs we need to overhaul the interior with younger cheaper players.

The salary cap might force this on us soon either way.

Steel Maniac
11-16-2020, 03:49 PM
The salary cap might force this on us soon either way.

And do like the Colts did that year when they drafted those stud O-linemen? Just rebuilt the O-line in one draft basically.

Chucktownsteeler
11-16-2020, 04:00 PM
You have Chuks, Feiler and Dotson now. You don't need to build the entire line, but I agree some draft picks are warranted.

hawaiiansteel
11-16-2020, 04:39 PM
Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger dismisses lack of run game, focuses on wins

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2020/11/16/steelers-bengals-james-conner-ben-roethlisberger/

BURGH86STEEL
11-16-2020, 05:15 PM
Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger dismisses lack of run game, focuses on wins

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2020/11/16/steelers-bengals-james-conner-ben-roethlisberger/

Ben likes to throw. He generally gets excellent pass protection and has a good versatile group of WRs in throw. He's probably headed for a personal best TD pass season.

NorthCoast
11-16-2020, 05:33 PM
See this... no reason for panic....
http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50522-Offensive-Trending-Better-or-Worser/page4

hawaiiansteel
11-16-2020, 07:05 PM
Run Game – Running out of ways to describe how bad this unit has been. Running out of explanations and solutions. Facing the NFL’s worst-ranked run defense, the run game when nowhere. Blocking up front got no push, James Conner probably had a bad read or two, and they were one-dimensional – again – with the pass game. I don’t know how to fix it. But it’s a rushing attack averaging around 3.0 YPC the last month. This team’s capable of running the ball. They started the year ending games with the ground attack. Just not executing now.

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/11/steelers-vs-bengals-winners-and-losers-4/

Iron City Inc.
11-16-2020, 07:33 PM
This is how I see it:
1) I believe 66 is not 100%. He would pull and throw excellent kick out blocks on counter power plays and we've seen almost none of that.
2) AV and Pouncey are good pass blockers however they are not maulers in the run game.
3) Ebron is much more a receiver then blocker. He grabs he doesn't knock anyone off the los. Vance not being the Vance of a few years ago has hurt and not being healthy has hurt the run game as well.
4) Running between the tackles on traps n draws seems much more the way to go then trying to go 7 or 8 hole. Run the edges with jet sweeps where we got guys with wheels who can get to the edge. Horses for courses so to speak. Perhaps the rookie can have a package with some tosses and run some wheel routes to get him on the edge with the speed to make those plays work.
So overall the problem imho is much more up front then on the backs. Ben has been calling a bunch of plays at the los and there are times when even though the #'s favor the run based on a light box you still have to make those blocks.
Lastly Pats used short passing game over the past decade just like a running game and they seemed to do okay with that system. No reason we can't be as successful in that aspect.

Steel Maniac
11-16-2020, 07:36 PM
This is how I see it:
1) I believe 66 is not 100%. He would pull and throw excellent kick out blocks on counter power plays and we've seen almost none of that.
2) AV and Pouncey are good pass blockers however they are not maulers in the run game.
3) Ebron is much more a receiver then blocker. He grabs he doesn't knock anyone off the los. Vance not being the Vance of a few years ago has hurt and not being healthy has hurt the run game as well.
4) Running between the tackles on traps n draws seems much more the way to go then trying to go 7 or 8 hole. Run the edges with jet sweeps where we got guys with wheels who can get to the edge. Horses for courses so to speak. Perhaps the rookie can have a package with some tosses and run some wheel routes to get him on the edge with the speed to make those plays work.
So overall the problem imho is much more up front then on the backs. Ben has been calling a bunch of plays at the los and there are times when even though the #'s favor the run based on a light box you still have to make those blocks.
Lastly Pats used short passing game over the past decade just like a running game and they seemed to do okay with that system. No reason we can't be as successful in that aspect.

Solid points Iron City. Especially about using the short passing game in place of/ supplement the running game.

Steel Maniac
11-17-2020, 01:35 AM
https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2020/11/16/21569686/the-steelers-arent-ready-to-deem-their-running-game-a-complete-failure-james-conner-randy-fichtner

Good read

NorthCoast
11-17-2020, 08:54 AM
To be honest, I really like the Steelers pass first offense as opposed to, say the Titans run-first offense. They both work. They both win games.

But when you absolutely must pass, say for example when you are behind late in the game, then pass-first gives you a much better chance to pull out a win as opposed to a running team trying to be efficient passing.

Captain Lemming
11-17-2020, 10:40 AM
To be honest, I really like the Steelers pass first offense as opposed to, say the Titans run-first offense. They both work. They both win games.

But when you absolutely must pass, say for example when you are behind late in the game, then pass-first gives you a much better chance to pull out a win as opposed to a running team trying to be efficient passing.

There is a diffence between "pass first" because your run game is garbage and the capability to come back via the pass.

Ben has already thrown as many touchdowns as his entire 2008 SB season. Dude was a comeback beast regardless.

flippy
11-17-2020, 11:49 AM
This is how I see it:

I agree on a lot of this and think the play calling and blocking are the primary culprit. But even bigger is Ben's 6.8 YPA on the season. If we're not going to make teams defend the whole field, they're going to clog up the box even more and play close to the LOS.

Northern_Blitz
11-17-2020, 12:26 PM

If you can only do one, I agree that I'd much rather be able to pass than run.

But I'd rather be a pass first than a pass only offense.

And I think there's enough concern with the inability to run against two terrible run Ds that we're trending toward the latter.

Steel Maniac
11-17-2020, 01:11 PM
We are in a great position to work on our run game. That’s the good thing.

Steel Maniac
11-17-2020, 05:55 PM
https://steelersdepot.com/2020/11/tomlin-vows-to-improve-steelers-struggling-run-game/

NorthCoast
11-17-2020, 10:33 PM
If you can only do one, I agree that I'd much rather be able to pass than run.

But I'd rather be a pass first than a pass only offense.

And I think there's enough concern with the inability to run against two terrible run Ds that we're trending toward the latter.In Tomlin's interview this week he really didn't seem overly concerned like the fan base is over the run game. He said they were comfortable with their game plans but if a defense was showing a particular look at shutting down the run, then they had no qualms about passing the majority of the time. If they see Cover 1, they will pass. If the see 2 deep then they will run. He said Roethlisberger has pretty much seen it all in his 17 yrs, and Fichtner allows him to run whatever he feels is working.

Steel Maniac
11-18-2020, 03:06 AM
In Tomlin's interview this week he really didn't seem overly concerned like the fan base is over the run game. He said they were comfortable with their game plans but if a defense was showing a particular look at shutting down the run, then they had no qualms about passing the majority of the time. If they see Cover 1, they will pass. If the see 2 deep then they will run. He said Roethlisberger has pretty much seen it all in his 17 yrs, and Fichtner allows him to run whatever he feels is working.

Nuff said then.

Northern_Blitz
11-18-2020, 07:08 AM
In Tomlin's interview this week he really didn't seem overly concerned like the fan base is over the run game. He said they were comfortable with their game plans but if a defense was showing a particular look at shutting down the run, then they had no qualms about passing the majority of the time. If they see Cover 1, they will pass. If the see 2 deep then they will run. He said Roethlisberger has pretty much seen it all in his 17 yrs, and Fichtner allows him to run whatever he feels is working.

And I think it's not unfair to characterize it that way.

But it does seem like we still have low YPC and "success rates" when we have decided to try to run against bad D's in the last 2 games.

It's only 2 games, so I agree it's not worth blowing out of proportion. Especially when we're undefeated past the half way point of the season.

But I'd be less concerned if we were having the same success rates we were getting in the first few games.

I do think that part of this is that teams aren't afraid of our deep passing attack so they focus on taking the run away to make us win with short passing.

But we're very good at short passing.

The good news is that I don't know if too many teams have deep enough secondaries to stop us in 11 (or when we spread it out more than that). Ben has been great at quickly finding and exploiting match ups with our WRs (and Ebron).

So, I hope we get better at running. And I continue to hope that Ben keeps getting the ball out quick and avoids hits because there's no way that Mason / Dobbs / Duck can run this offense successfully IMO.

And while I don't think our O-Line is great at run blocking, I do think they are very, very good at pass pro.

NorthCoast
11-18-2020, 08:46 AM
And I think it's not unfair to characterize it that way.

But it does seem like we still have low YPC and "success rates" when we have decided to try to run against bad D's in the last 2 games.

It's only 2 games, so I agree it's not worth blowing out of proportion. Especially when we're undefeated past the half way point of the season.

But I'd be less concerned if we were having the same success rates we were getting in the first few games.

I do think that part of this is that teams aren't afraid of our deep passing attack so they focus on taking the run away to make us win with short passing.

But we're very good at short passing.

The good news is that I don't know if too many teams have deep enough secondaries to stop us in 11 (or when we spread it out more than that). Ben has been great at quickly finding and exploiting match ups with our WRs (and Ebron).

So, I hope we get better at running. And I continue to hope that Ben keeps getting the ball out quick and avoids hits because there's no way that Mason / Dobbs / Duck can run this offense successfully IMO.

And while I don't think our O-Line is great at run blocking, I do think they are very, very good at pass pro.Very good points NB. What is curious is opponents continue to deploy stop-the-run defenses even when the Steelers aren't showing any urgency to run. But as you say, the offense might have to run a whole lot more plays (and chances for fails) in the short passing game. However, these points;

the Steelers have been mostly mistake free during these games. They rank top ten in fewest TOs/drive. (One big positive about not running is no fumbles by Conner & Co.) And Roethlisberger, outside of one game, isn't throwing INTs.

Add to this that the Steelers have been starting with one of the shortest fields this season so long drives haven't been needed.

Honestly, can't argue with what they are doing other than saying "yea, but".

hawaiiansteel
11-18-2020, 03:42 PM
Mike Tomlin admits Steelers running game is ‘below the line’

https://triblive.com/sports/mike-tomlin-admits-steelers-running-game-is-below-the-line/

hawaiiansteel
11-20-2020, 02:19 PM
Steelers draft next year:

1. OL
2. OL
3. OL
4. OL
5. OL
6. OL
7. OL

Maybe at least two of them will be able to run block.

Buzz
11-20-2020, 02:28 PM

1. OL
2. OL
3. OL
4. OL
5. OL
6. OL
7. OL

Wonder if a team has ever had an all-OL draft?

Oviedo
11-20-2020, 02:32 PM

1. OL
2. OL
3. OL
4. OL
5. OL
6. OL
7. OL

I honestly thought we would have drafted two OL this past draft with the first being the "Center of the Future"

Our free agency dilemma in the off season will likely mean we take 2 or 3 OL

Steel Maniac
11-20-2020, 02:37 PM
the Steelers have been mostly mistake free during these games. They rank top ten in fewest TOs/drive. (One big positive about not running is no fumbles by Conner & Co.) And Roethlisberger, outside of one game, isn't throwing INTs.

Now if we can lessen our injuries going forward as well then everything will be roses.

Steel Maniac
11-20-2020, 02:39 PM
Wonder if a team has ever had an all-OL draft?

Closes I've seen is the Colts a few years ago when they totally remade their O-line. They didn't go all -OL but you could see their draft focus was the O-line. They did a great job as well.

hawaiiansteel
11-20-2020, 04:04 PM
'It's time to use him'

Nov 19, 2020
Mike Prisuta
Steelers.com

One of the potential fixes for a running game the Steelers have identified as in need of repair might turn out to be a guy who doesn't have a carry or a catch and has played just 31 offensive snaps.

"I see it coming and it couldn't be at a better time," offensive coordinator Randy Fichtner said today of getting fullback Derek Watt more involved, perhaps as soon as this Sunday at Jacksonville "It's time to use him."

Fichtner envisions Watt contributing if and when the Steelers opt to operate as they had at times during the 2018 season.

Back then they periodically deployed what Fichtner referenced as the "10s package," which was designed to be "run-heavy but have an ability to throw the football and look for chunks (big plays)."

The Steelers went with bigger players in "10s," which also allowed smaller players to rest.

The Steelers prepare for the Week 11 matchup against the Jacksonville Jaguars

"We felt like we were successful in that package," Fichtner continued. "It didn't materialize last year because (fullback) Rosie (Nix) was always hurt and went on IR. When we went out and got Derek (as an unrestricted free agent) we were all excited about it and then COVID comes, we get no offseason, and Derek had some offseason clean-up things (surgically) and so he had a limited amount of (training) camp.

"That probably put him behind the eight ball a little bit and maybe a little bit with us. But he's ahead of it now and it's time to figure out how to use him the best, what can we get out of it. It's gotta be a part of our football moving forward. If nothing else it'll help, potentially, in the run game. It'll help in the play-action game."

The Steelers are No. 24 in the NFL in total offense (24th rushing and 18th passing).

They've failed to rush for 50 yards in three consecutive games (48 on Nov. 1 at Baltimore, 46 on Nov. 8 at Dallas and 44 last Sunday against Cincinnati).

Watt has appeared in five of the Steelers' first nine games, predominantly on special teams. He returned from a three-week absence (hamstring) for last Sunday's 36-10 win over Cincinnati.

Injecting Watt into the offense would constitute more of a complement than an overhaul.

"In certain weeks, by putting him in a personnel group we can create, maybe, the structures we want to attack, and with the bodies that they would attempt to play us in that personnel group," Fichtner explained. "Sometimes, it's really unique and you want to get to it and you want to have a plan off of it. Some weeks it may take a back seat whether he's healthy or not because it might not be in our best interest, per se, it's a fine line.

"I know if he had been here healthy through training camp, I think we would have felt better about some of the things that he would have been able to do. I think we're still trying to find that out."

https://www.steelers.com/news/it-s-time-to-use-him

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-20-2020, 06:34 PM
Wonder if/when we see Dotson replace Feiler.

hawaiiansteel
11-20-2020, 07:42 PM

isn't Dotson still on the Covid list?

Steel Maniac
11-20-2020, 08:04 PM

Depending on situations going forward, you might not have to wait that long to find out.

NorthCoast
11-21-2020, 09:48 AM
Merrill Hodge was talking on SNR about the poor running game. His analysis of tape had the surprising conclusion that it's been Conner's fault during a number of runs. He said Conner has not properly spaced himself behind pulling blockers. In fact in some cases Conner was even ahead of the blockers. He said there is no way that will be successful. He said Conner needs to be more patient in allowing his blocking to set up.
Hodge said this is correctable and adding a FB might help.
My question is; why is this even a problem?!? I mean, Conner is not a rookie. He's played long enough that he should know this stuff. Is there something else going on with him?

Buzz
11-21-2020, 12:41 PM
Merrill Hodge was talking on SNR about the poor running game. His analysis of tape had the surprising conclusion that it's been Conner's fault during a number of runs. He said Conner has not properly spaced himself behind pulling blockers. In fact in some cases Conner was even ahead of the blockers. He said there is no way that will be successful. He said Conner needs to be more patient in allowing his blocking to set up.
My question is; why is this even a problem?!? I mean, Conner is not a rookie. He's played long enough that he should know this stuff. Is there something else going on with him?

If Hodge was able to recognize this, surely our coaches have ... and if they have, they've certainly pointed it out to Conner. Just this week, Fichtner was making noise about getting Watt more involved as a lead blocker. I'm thinking they'll get this fixed, at least to some extent.

feltdizz
11-21-2020, 02:24 PM

its something we’ve complained about on here when debating if Conner is the best option as a #1 RB.

Unless the hole is huge Conner struggles. I thought he ran well in the first half of the Tennessee game but he’s regressed since then.

NorthCoast
11-21-2020, 02:46 PM
If Hodge was able to recognize this, surely our coaches have ... and if they have, they've certainly pointed it out to Conner. Just this week, Fichtner was making noise about getting Watt more involved as a lead blocker. I'm thinking they'll get this fixed, at least to some extent.

Hodge pretty much said the same thing. He is sure the coaches have schooled him on this. But why is this even a problem? Has Conner forgotten how to play the position? Is he trying to do too much? Just seems weird with his experience that he needs coaching on this.

D Rock
11-21-2020, 04:22 PM
Hodge pretty much said the same thing. He is sure the coaches have schooled him on this. But why is this even a problem? Has Conner forgotten how to play the position? Is he trying to do too much? Just seems weird with his experience that he needs coaching on this.

Everyone has their limitations. Patience may be Conner's. He might be wired to hit things hard and fast.

As much as we can all sit in front of our screens and say this is coachable and correctable, I think any of us who have played sports can look at ourselves, and if we are being honest, admit that it really just isn't that easy to change natural physical tendencies. If it were, then the most elite athletes would always be the best players, and that's just not the case.

Buzz
11-21-2020, 04:45 PM
Everyone has their limitations. Patience may be Conner's. He might be wired to hit things hard and fast.
Try him out on Defense?

As much as we can all sit in front of our screens and say this is coachable and correctable, I think any of us who have played sports can look at ourselves, and if we are being honest, admit that it really just isn't that easy to change natural physical tendencies. If it were, then the most elite athletes would always be the best players, and that's just not the case.
Good point.

NJ-STEELER
11-21-2020, 05:24 PM
its Hoge guys

c'mon :)

Steel Maniac
11-22-2020, 12:42 PM

Well, we started out the year with him running well. What has him so impatient since week 2?? I’m sure they’ve talked to him but it hasn't gotten through. Might be time for a change in running backs to really get the message through to him. Then after a couple of games as not the starter, that hammers the message home.

Disco1981
11-22-2020, 12:47 PM
It's HOGE! How can I take any of you seriously that spell it Hodge!

Steel Maniac
11-22-2020, 12:55 PM
Now that Hoge has said it on TV, Conner has been put on blast. I’m sure It has trickled back to him what Hoge said so the spotlight is on him now. Let’s see how he responds.

hawaiiansteel
12-04-2020, 06:02 PM
Fichtner Says Run Game Must Do Better Job Of Finishing Blocks

By Alex Kozora
Posted on December 4, 2020

Blocking and tackling. Sometimes the NFL is just that simple When it comes to the Pittsburgh Steelers’ lackluster run game, OC Randy Fichtner says it’s about focusing on the basics everyone’s been taught since Pop Warner.

“We talk about finish,” Fitchtner told reporters on a Zoom call Friday via a team transcript. “We talk about techniques and fundamentals to get yourself into that position where you can explode on somebody and you can continue a drive block and not be a one trick pony and get one pop and then next thing you know the guy is jumping on the pile trying to strip the ball out, just another hit that one of our backs doesn’t have to take. It’s finding that little bit of edge to maintain a block.”

The Steelers’ run game has struggled for weeks on end. Though they closed out Wednesday’s win over the Baltimore Ravens via the run and Mike Tomlin praised Benny Snell’s performance, he still was far from satisfied with the run game overall. A clear jab at an offensive line not getting the job done.

It’s one reason why Ben Roethlisberger has attempted 40+ passes in four straight games despite the Steelers winning all four of those. And why they’ve passed the ball in several 3rd/4th and short situations. Against the Ravens, the team failed on a pair of 4th and 1 conversions. They throw each time. One resulted in an end zone interception and the other was a pass broken up intended for Chase Claypool.

Pittsburgh proved capable of running the ball early in the year. Through the first four months, they averaged a healthy 4.5 YPC and rushed for 100+ yards in every game. Since, they’re averaging barely over three yards a carry and only twice gone over the century mark.

Fichtner made it clear the line aren’t the only guys who have to do a better job finishing their blocks. Running the football is team job.

“That goes for receivers. That goes for tight ends. That goes for anybody blocking for a running back. We have to keep pushing it. Our guys understand it. I think if we keep them fresh as best as we possibly can, I know game day they will give you the best energy, and they have.”

Fichtner said his goal is to keep guys fresh, more walkthroughs and less padded practices, but that’ll be especially tough to do over the next couple of games. Pittsburgh’s playing three games in 12 days with plenty of chaos along the way.

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/12/fichtner-says-run-game-must-do-better-job-of-finishing-blocks/

NorthCoast
12-05-2020, 12:34 PM
Fichtner Says Run Game Must Do Better Job Of Finishing Blocks

By Alex Kozora
Posted on December 4, 2020

Blocking and tackling. Sometimes the NFL is just that simple When it comes to the Pittsburgh Steelers’ lackluster run game, OC Randy Fichtner says it’s about focusing on the basics everyone’s been taught since Pop Warner.

“We talk about finish,” Fitchtner told reporters on a Zoom call Friday via a team transcript. “We talk about techniques and fundamentals to get yourself into that position where you can explode on somebody and you can continue a drive block and not be a one trick pony and get one pop and then next thing you know the guy is jumping on the pile trying to strip the ball out, just another hit that one of our backs doesn’t have to take. It’s finding that little bit of edge to maintain a block.”

The Steelers’ run game has struggled for weeks on end. Though they closed out Wednesday’s win over the Baltimore Ravens via the run and Mike Tomlin praised Benny Snell’s performance, he still was far from satisfied with the run game overall. A clear jab at an offensive line not getting the job done.

It’s one reason why Ben Roethlisberger has attempted 40+ passes in four straight games despite the Steelers winning all four of those. And why they’ve passed the ball in several 3rd/4th and short situations. Against the Ravens, the team failed on a pair of 4th and 1 conversions. They throw each time. One resulted in an end zone interception and the other was a pass broken up intended for Chase Claypool.

Pittsburgh proved capable of running the ball early in the year. Through the first four months, they averaged a healthy 4.5 YPC and rushed for 100+ yards in every game. Since, they’re averaging barely over three yards a carry and only twice gone over the century mark.

Fichtner made it clear the line aren’t the only guys who have to do a better job finishing their blocks. Running the football is team job.

“That goes for receivers. That goes for tight ends. That goes for anybody blocking for a running back. We have to keep pushing it. Our guys understand it. I think if we keep them fresh as best as we possibly can, I know game day they will give you the best energy, and they have.”

Fichtner said his goal is to keep guys fresh, more walkthroughs and less padded practices, but that’ll be especially tough to do over the next couple of games. Pittsburgh’s playing three games in 12 days with plenty of chaos along the way.

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/12/fichtner-says-run-game-must-do-better-job-of-finishing-blocks/My beef with what Fichtner is saying is that half the Steelers OL is veteran with a lot of years in this league. Why is it now a problem with fundamentals and technique for these guys? I think he is covering for the fact that these guys are aging, not as powerful as they once were and also that the RBs struggle with vision for gaps. Need OL in the next draft... starting with center.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-05-2020, 01:29 PM
Need OL in the next draft... starting with center.

I wanted at least 2 OL n the last draft, including one high pick. While I am happy with the early picks in Claypool and Highsmith (especially now), we can't continue to ignore the OL. I would not be upset if the team:

1) Used their top 2 picks on OL
2) Went 3 OL in total next draft
3) Addressed C early and let Pouncey go, freeing up $8M
4) Traded up for a top OT

Not all of these needed, but you can see where I believe the focus should be.

hawaiiansteel
12-05-2020, 02:27 PM
I wanted at least 2 OL n the last draft, including one high pick. While I am happy with the early picks in Claypool and Highsmith (especially now), we can't continue to ignore the OL. I would not be upset if the team:

would you still feel that way if we re-signed Feiler and Banner?

NorthCoast
12-05-2020, 04:11 PM
Some observations I would have to agree with... and the whiff I saw by Dotson is explained here.... smh Fichtner:

(the tweet by JJ Watt is hilarious... click the link to see)

Week 12 snap counts show the Steelers aren’t really committed to the run game
If you want to run the ball, you probably want to play your run blockers.

By Geoffrey Benedict@phantaskippy Dec 4, 2020, 12:30pm EST 28 Comments

Share this story
Share this on Facebook (opens in new window)
Share this on Twitter (opens in new window)
All sharing options
NFL: Pittsburgh Steelers Training Camp
Pool Photo-USA TODAY Sports
What does a commitment to the run game look like? Is it number of carries, is it the number of wide receivers on the field, is it the formation? In my opinion, a commitment to the run game means prioritizing run blockers being on the field. If you are looking to find ways to run the ball while being set up to pass, that isn’t a commitment to the run game, that is hoping you can run while being committed to the passing game.

Offense

Let’s start with Kevin Dotson. Dotson is a fantastic run blocking guard, who is good at pass blocking for a rookie, but that is faint praise, he is a decent pass blocker by NFL standards. Dotson played 4 snaps, for one he came in when Chukwuma Okorafor missed a play with Matt Feiler moving to tackle, and three other times he came in as an extra lineman, and lined up outside like a tight end.

The Steelers put their best run blocking offensive lineman (yes, he’s their best one) outside of their right tackle and ran up the middle for a 2-yard loss. When you bring on an extra lineman the defense brings in a heavier set and puts more bodies in the middle. The Steelers somehow thought putting Dotson outside and running up the middle where they weren’t running well already against more defenders was a good choice.

Vance McDonald returned and took a bunch of snaps back from Eric Ebron, which was good to see with Ebron having played a ton of snaps in recent weeks, and McDonald is a better run blocker than Ebron. To be honest McDonald had a positive impact in the run game, but they still have better run blockers on the roster.

Derek Watt played 4 snaps. Derek Watt got a nice contract to come to the Steelers because they needed a special teams ace and a fullback who could block and be a receiving threat. Derek Watt fits that bill, but he doesn’t see the field very much at all. The Steelers were “trying” to establish the run in this game, and yet Watt wasn’t on the field.

I’ll defer to J.J. Watt’s tweet that his brother T.J. Watt liked. . .

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2020/12/4/22150860/week-12-snap-counts-show-the-steelers-arent-really-committed-to-the-run-game-derek-watt-kevin-dotson

I feel the same way J.J. Watt.

We were calling for more Derek Watt before his injury, and I haven’t brought Watt up much at all since, because he was coming back off an injury. But look at Watt’s special teams snaps, he played 76% of those snaps, no one on the team played more. Yet he wasn’t on offense.

While I loved Tomlin’s post game press conference anger at the run blocking being absolute trash in week 12, it rings a little hollow when your two best run blockers get 8 snaps combined, and both were on the field for the kneel down to end the game. If the Steelers are going to commit to the run game, it can’t be protect Ben first, have your best receivers on the field second, and then demand the run game finds success third.

If the Steelers are going to go all in on this offense being all about the passing game, then call passing plays and stop trying to force the run. If they are going to be serious about running the ball, then for goodness sake, put your run blockers out there and make the passing game work with them.

Outside of that Chase Claypool dropped in snaps as Diontae Johnson’s drops were apparently more valuable than Chase Claypool’s drops, and JuJu Smith-Schuster led the team in snaps so he could be targeted on only the shortest possible passes. Smith-Schuster’s target depth isn’t really a snap count thing, but I’m complaining about usage so yeah, what is up with Smith-Schuster only getting the shortest of routes? He’s a good route runner who happens to have a ton of big plays in his short career. I think he could handle a 10 yard out route, and he’d actually catch it too.

James Washington runs deeper routes, and he actually catches the ball, so naturally he is the Steelers 4th receiver in snaps. At least he got more time than the punt returner this week.

I can’t complain about Minkah Fitzpatrick, he was on the field for the best offensive play of the game, even if it is listed as a -1 yard run for Ben Roethlisberger, I hope to see him out there again next week.

Defense

I’m sick over Bud Dupree’s injury. He’s my favorite current Steeler, and has been an underrated force on this defense since he was drafted. I’ll be writing plenty of articles about him from now until he likely leaves the team this offseason, but man. . . we’re going to miss him.

With Stephon Tuitt out Tyson Alualu played a ton of snaps, the last time he played more than 83% of snaps was week 3 of 2017. Chris Wormley played 25 snaps, more than double his previous high for 2020 of 11 snaps. Wormley was hit or miss, getting driven off the line at times, but he made the key play on the stuff at the goal line at the end of the half, coming from the other side of the line to hit Gus Edwards in the backfield. Would love to see more of that from Wormley, especially since the Steelers may play him more to help fill Bud Dupree’s shoes. Wormley is a better defensive end than a tackle, and can play on the edge.

Alex Highsmith played 11 snaps to Olasunkanmi Adeniyi’s single snap, and that number is likely to climb steeply for the rest of the season as his red-shirt season ends and he is the primary player that will be filling Bud Dupree’s snaps..

Jordan Dangerfield was on the field for 3 snaps, including the last two plays of the first half, when he played cornerback against the Ravens no wide receiver set. Avery Williamson played 25 snaps and recorded 2 tackles as his role is increasing. Vince Williams played fewer snaps, but his snaps fluctuate week to week more than most, and this game was within the normal range.

The Steelers defense gave up one really bad play, and outside of that was solid. They have already done a great job filling in for Devin Bush being on injured reserve, now they will have to fill in for another of their top players. Next man up.

Disco1981
12-05-2020, 07:28 PM
My beef with what Fichtner is saying is that half the Steelers OL is veteran with a lot of years in this league. Why is it now a problem with fundamentals and technique for these guys? I think he is covering for the fact that these guys are aging, not as powerful as they once were and also that the RBs struggle with vision for gaps. Need OL in the next draft... starting with center.

^^^^^ This is spot on.. Father Time is undefeated...DD has lost a lot, And Pouncey even more... Pouncey can't drive block a guy to save his life ( that was never his strong suit anyhow ) He relied on elite athleticism, and that has been gone for a couple of years...He is actually IMO, a well- BELOW average player now...Just take some plays when watching the game and focus on him... It's not pretty!

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-05-2020, 10:59 PM

Somewhat.....

I had very high expectations for Feiler this season. I figured that the team had a very serviceable RT, but barely considered keeping him there. I expected he would be a stud LG, after all, why else would you move him without letting him compete to keep his own job? I wouldn't consider him a shoo-in incumbent at this point. If you have a shot at a premium player then you don't let Feiler stand in the way. I would pay him accordingly.

Same goes for Banner. Coming off of season ending surgery, what do you have in him? As much as everyone loves the guy, if you have a shot at a top tackle, you can't let him stand in the way. If you sign him you value him not as a starter, but as a guy who will compete for a starting spot. I don't think you can sign the guy for more than $4-5M per and he can compete with a young guy who should eventually take a spot. After that then maybe he can compete with Chuks, but I think that Chuks can play LT while ZB is only a RT.

In terms of others, I have thought that Pouncey is overvalued for at least 2-3 years vs. his contract. He is a must replace. I believe that AV is average, and is currently being paid as average. I'm not against bringing him back at another average salary contract, but again, do you not draft a good young and inexpensive prospect to keep an average tackle? I also hate to say that DD might be heading towards Pouncey territory in terms of value vs. cost. Like Pouncey he is also entering the final year of his contract. I have no problem drafting his eventual replacement.

As far as 2022 goes, I have Chuks at one tackle position and Dotson at one guard spot. Every other spot is open, including Feiler and Banner.

Disco1981
12-06-2020, 01:32 AM

Yes,I would...If the Offensive Line is as bad as it has been...Why resign them?

NorthCoast
12-06-2020, 09:26 AM
Somewhat.....

I had very high expectations for Feiler this season. I figured that the team had a very serviceable RT, but barely considered keeping him there. I expected he would be a stud LG, after all, why else would you move him without letting him compete to keep his own job? I wouldn't consider him a shoo-in incumbent at this point. If you have a shot at a premium player then you don't let Feiler stand in the way. I would pay him accordingly.

Same goes for Banner. Coming off of season ending surgery, what do you have in him? As much as everyone loves the guy, if you have a shot at a top tackle, you can't let him stand in the way. If you sign him you value him not as a starter, but as a guy who will compete for a starting spot. I don't think you can sign the guy for more than $4-5M per and he can compete with a young guy who should eventually take a spot. After that then maybe he can compete with Chuks, but I think that Chuks can play LT while ZB is only a RT.

In terms of others, I have thought that Pouncey is overvalued for at least 2-3 years vs. his contract. He is a must replace. I believe that AV is average, and is currently being paid as average. I'm not against bringing him back at another average salary contract, but again, do you not draft a good young and inexpensive prospect to keep an average tackle? I also hate to say that DD might be heading towards Pouncey territory in terms of value vs. cost. Like Pouncey he is also entering the final year of his contract. I have no problem drafting his eventual replacement.

As far as 2022 goes, I have Chuks at one tackle position and Dotson at one guard spot. Every other spot is open, including Feiler and Banner.Sums it up well t.o.

Ernie
12-06-2020, 10:25 AM

I think theres little doubt that Pouncey is staying until Ben retires.

Ernie
12-06-2020, 10:26 AM
Somewhat.....

As far as 2022 goes, I have Chuks at one tackle position and Dotson at one guard spot. Every other spot is open, including Feiler and Banner.

Feiler was solid at RT last year.. perhaps he needs a look there again

hawaiiansteel
12-07-2020, 09:23 PM
14 rushes for 21 yards, that's just not going to get it done.

Ernie
12-07-2020, 09:33 PM
So maybe theres more to this subpar running game than Conner? Doesnt look like weve got a guy on the squad that can run behind this OLine. Maybe Barry Sanders in his prime

Buzz
12-07-2020, 10:16 PM
I think we are still missing Munchak to some extent

SteelBucks
12-07-2020, 10:18 PM

^ This......

hawaiiansteel
12-08-2020, 11:57 PM
I knew we were in trouble in Week 9 when we only rushed for 46 yards against the Cowboys' porous run defense.

tonight the Ravens ran for 294 yards against them.

Captain Lemming
12-09-2020, 12:21 AM

Yet our best run blocker was never coached by Munchak?

Truth is Pouncey was BETTER before Munchak, do you really think DD suddenly forgot what he was taught?

Tackles are alright, interior line is garbage.

I don't know if DD has injuries, but he just is not who he used to be. Pouncey has been living on undeserved rep for m years. Fieler is not a good guard.

Steel Maniac
12-09-2020, 12:55 AM

We are; but the same guys who were high fiving when we got Munchak are now dismissing him like he wasn't that big a deal. Munchak is regarding as the best O-line coach in the game. You don't lose someone like that and there not be an immediate, negative effect. Especially when he was not adequately replaced. It's been two years now and the O-line has looked like absolute garbage since Munchak left. Not a coincidence.

But it's also time to stop bottom barrel scraping and use a higher draft pick (picks) on the O-line. Always trying to mine for gems gives you more cole than diamonds.

flippy
12-09-2020, 06:15 AM
Yet our best run blocker was never coached by Munchak?

Truth is Pouncey was BETTER before Munchak, do you really think DD suddenly forgot what he was taught?

Tackles are alright, interior line is garbage.

I don't know if DD has injuries, but he just is not who he used to be. Pouncey has been living on undeserved rep for m years. Fieler is not a good guard.

I think there's some truth in all of this.

Then you layer play calling on top of the line's capabilities and it's a bit of a train wreck right now.

Up until week 6 or 7, we at least seemed committed to the run. But then from that point on, we seemed to start passing more and running less. Not sure what happened at that point but when we started the struggle bus against Tennessee and didn't run much despite a pretty big lead early and had to go no huddle and spread the field out with quick throws against Baltimore in the 1st game, that seemed to be the point where we abandoned the run and it's been an afterthought for the last 6 weeks.

You can just look back on the numbers and it's pretty easy to see the trends:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/2020/gamelog/

I've wondered if DD and/or Pouncey and Conner have some health issues. I've also wondered after 6 weeks that our opponents figured out they can defend a short field against us because of the lower YPA. However the YPA has kinda dropped with our inability to run and it looks like we're trying to run through the passing game.

Whatever has happened, it's a sh!t show right now and defenses know they need to just defend 10 yards against the Steelers. Some of the issue may be the WRs on the outside not catching enough catchable balls. Across the board, everyone's YPC is down big time. Juju and Ebron seem to get most of their targets a couple yards past the LOS. I'd try to lean into getting Juju and Washington more reps on the outside and trying to push the ball downfield with the 2 of them. Some consistency on the outside will open up the middle of the field and the further you can stretch the middle of the field, the more room their is to run and everything's not clogged up at the LOS.

Teams have also stopped going after Ben and just hang back in passing lanes which clogs up the middle of the field and the 5-10 yard routes we're targeting.

I'd really like to see us change it up and put Ben under center, run some play action, work in some 7 step drops, and if no one's coming after him, hold the ball and go downfield.

Then again, maybe Ben has some arm issues or we're trying to overprotect him from getting hit. I can't remember the last time he took a sack and I also can barely remember a play beyond the LOS (ok a little exaggerated).

Northern_Blitz
12-09-2020, 07:28 AM

This may be true, but we were still bad at YPC (verifiable) and short yardage (I think) when he was here.

I think these are long standing issues. And I also think it's the poison we picked by going all out to extend the career of a hof QB that will almost certainly end his career with the most sacks all time (although maybe only 2nd or something if we keep the current game plan)

Northern_Blitz
12-09-2020, 07:31 AM
We are; but the same guys who were high fiving when we got Munchak are now dismissing him like he wasn't that big a deal. Munchak is regarding as the best O-line coach in the game. You don't lose someone like that and there not be an immediate, negative effect. Especially when he was not adequately replaced. It's been two years now and the O-line has looked like absolute garbage since Munchak left. Not a coincidence.

But it's also time to stop bottom barrel scraping and use a higher draft pick (picks) on the O-line. Always trying to mine for gems gives you more cole than diamonds.

Our pass pro has still been very good without him.

Or run blocking hasn't been good, but it wasn't good at the end of his time with us either.

I think this suggests that it's more players.

Although I do think the end of last season when pass pro kept getting beat by a similar blitz scheme was on the coaching. Munch may have fixed that faster.

NorthCoast
12-09-2020, 09:33 AM
Our pass pro has still been very good without him.

Or run blocking hasn't been good, but it wasn't good at the end of his time with us either.

I think this suggests that it's more players.

Although I do think the end of last season when pass pro kept getting beat by a similar blitz scheme was on the coaching. Munch may have fixed that faster.The pass pro I think is deceiving and if Roethlisberger was playing like he used to play I think sack stats would reflect it. As has been pointed out, defenses aren't really making a big effort to get to the QB because the ball comes out so quick. (WFT blitzed less than a handful of times). Stand back and wait for a batted ball. Unfortunately I think the solution to how defenses will play them is to hold the ball longer at the risk of increased sacks (and injury).

feltdizz
12-09-2020, 10:27 AM

our OL wasn’t that good at run blocking when Munchak was here.

Buzz
12-09-2020, 10:29 AM
Wolfley sez insert Dotson into the lineup at G and move Feiler to RT

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Article/Former-Steelers-guard-sees-a-move-on-the-offensive-line-that-could-mean-just-as-much-as-the-return-of-Maurkice-Pouncey-and-James-Conner-156467398/?utm_source=247Sports%2520Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=201209_041458_PittsburghSteelers&utm_content=Link

I'd be up for trying it

Steel Maniac
12-09-2020, 11:26 AM

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Article/Former-Steelers-guard-sees-a-move-on-the-offensive-line-that-could-mean-just-as-much-as-the-return-of-Maurkice-Pouncey-and-James-Conner-156467398/?utm_source=247Sports%2520Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=201209_041458_PittsburghSteelers&utm_content=Link

I'd be up for trying it

Gotta do something at this point. Can’t keep doing the same thing and expect a different result.

NorthCoast
12-09-2020, 11:52 AM

I'd be up for trying iton a side note; have you ever tried those Oram donuts he mentioned?.... damn, they sound good right about now.

NorthCoast
12-09-2020, 12:20 PM

I'd be up for trying it

* Part of the rushing attack problem has to do with the lack of ability to put pads on. Pad levels tend to get higher the less you practice in them.

Simply put, when you watch game video, at the point of attack there are too many upright bodies clogging up the hole. Chuck Noll used to say over and over, “Under and up! The lower man wins!

I noticed this in the last game after rewatching; this OL is looks like they're standing trying to block. Gotta fix that.

Buzz
12-09-2020, 12:23 PM
* Part of the rushing attack problem has to do with the lack of ability to put pads on. Pad levels tend to get higher the less you practice in them.

Simply put, when you watch game video, at the point of attack there are too many upright bodies clogging up the hole. Chuck Noll used to say over and over, “Under and up! The lower man wins!

I noticed this in the last game after rewatching; this OL is looks like they're standing trying to block. Gotta fix that.

Wish we could have Chuck Noll coaching our OL

Northern_Blitz
12-09-2020, 12:30 PM
The pass pro I think is deceiving and if Roethlisberger was playing like he used to play I think sack stats would reflect it. As has been pointed out, defenses aren't really making a big effort to get to the QB because the ball comes out so quick. (WFT blitzed less than a handful of times). Stand back and wait for a batted ball. Unfortunately I think the solution to how defenses will play them is to hold the ball longer at the risk of increased sacks (and injury).

I think that's probably fair.

The pass pro was good for most of last year too. But we were also seemed to be running a lot of short passes then as well.

We'll get an overhaul at OLine over the next few seasons because of the cap I think.

Also: If teams are sitting back and waiting for the bat down, I hope to see some more classic Ben pump fakes (although it means he won't be getting it out as fast).

Northern_Blitz
12-09-2020, 12:34 PM
Wish we could have Chuck Noll coaching our OL

As long as we're looking for guys to rise up from the past, we could use another ILB too (even if he'd probably just get ejected from every game):

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/10/c4/06/10c406d78d4cbd3342573c368dcbac3e.gif

NorthCoast
12-09-2020, 01:10 PM
As long as we're looking for guys to rise up from the past, we could use another ILB too (even if he'd probably just get ejected from every game):

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/10/c4/06/10c406d78d4cbd3342573c368dcbac3e.gifsigh... the good old days. Lambert gets thrown out of the game with today's rules.

NJ-STEELER
12-09-2020, 02:09 PM

we are seeing the effects of constantly drafting Defense with #1 picks. ignoring positions like OL and RB with high draft picks. I don't even love taking OL high unless its LT or 1 of postiions on interior line as i feel that can be coached up.
But with RB, its either you have talent or you don't. there's no coaching up there.

what we have back there is what the ravens had with buck allen and the other jabroni they drafted that year. similar draft position and similar results.

but, what the ravens have done is add to it by signing a free agent in ingram and taken a RB in the 2nd round. it would be nice to spread the wealth of high draft picks around to other positions or the other side of the line

back to the defense, It seems to need a high pick at every position to be effective. another game where i saw fort making plays last night for the ravens. a defense thats ranked high for years.

why can he start there and perform well but he couldn't start here?

this is what we have to be asking ourselves

NorthCoast
12-09-2020, 02:51 PM
we are seeing the effects of constantly drafting Defense with #1 picks. ignoring positions like OL and RB with high draft picks. I don't even love taking OL high unless its LT or 1 of postiions on interior line as i feel that can be coached up.
But with RB, its either you have talent or you don't. there's no coaching up there.

what we have back there is what the ravens had with buck allen and the other jabroni they drafted that year. similar draft position and similar results.

but, what the ravens have done is add to it by signing a free agent in ingram and taken a RB in the 2nd round. it would be nice to spread the wealth of high draft picks around to other positions or the other side of the line

back to the defense, It seems to need a high pick at every position to be effective. another game where i saw fort making plays last night for the ravens. a defense thats ranked high for years.

this is what we have to be asking ourselves teams have to make choices every season.... Steelers tried the other route of paying offensive stars and it didn't work. They went back to their roots of strong defense and I have to say based on results it's working better. And yes, higher draft picks usually translate to better results.... example; WFT defense is #4 in the NFL opponents yds against, they have four 1st round picks starting on the DL including a top 2 pick.

Chucktownsteeler
12-09-2020, 03:12 PM

The saddest part is we passed up on Nick Chubb for Edmunds (could have gotten him later).

I hope we aren't saying in a few years we passed up Dobbins for Claypool.

P.S. - Jack is my all-time favorite Steeler.

hawaiiansteel
12-09-2020, 03:29 PM
Wolfley's idea is to start Dotson and move Feiler back to RT:

Wolfley: One move that could mean so much to Steelers' run game

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Article/Former-Steelers-guard-sees-a-move-on-the-offensive-line-that-could-mean-just-as-much-as-the-return-of-Maurkice-Pouncey-and-James-Conner-156467398/

feltdizz
12-09-2020, 03:48 PM

I like Fort and maybe we could’ve sacrificed someone else on the D but who would he start over on our defense when all our LB’s were healthy?

I have no idea how Fort is doing this year as a whole but I can admit I didn’t hear much from him in either of our games vs the Ravens this year.

He had a nice INT that they didn’t even try to challenge last night.

NorthCoast
12-09-2020, 04:18 PM
I think there's some truth in all of this.

Then you layer play calling on top of the line's capabilities and it's a bit of a train wreck right now.

Up until week 6 or 7, we at least seemed committed to the run. But then from that point on, we seemed to start passing more and running less. Not sure what happened at that point but when we started the struggle bus against Tennessee and didn't run much despite a pretty big lead early and had to go no huddle and spread the field out with quick throws against Baltimore in the 1st game, that seemed to be the point where we abandoned the run and it's been an afterthought for the last 6 weeks.

You can just look back on the numbers and it's pretty easy to see the trends:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/2020/gamelog/

I've wondered if DD and/or Pouncey and Conner have some health issues. I've also wondered after 6 weeks that our opponents figured out they can defend a short field against us because of the lower YPA. However the YPA has kinda dropped with our inability to run and it looks like we're trying to run through the passing game.

Whatever has happened, it's a sh!t show right now and defenses know they need to just defend 10 yards against the Steelers. Some of the issue may be the WRs on the outside not catching enough catchable balls. Across the board, everyone's YPC is down big time. Juju and Ebron seem to get most of their targets a couple yards past the LOS. I'd try to lean into getting Juju and Washington more reps on the outside and trying to push the ball downfield with the 2 of them. Some consistency on the outside will open up the middle of the field and the further you can stretch the middle of the field, the more room their is to run and everything's not clogged up at the LOS.

Teams have also stopped going after Ben and just hang back in passing lanes which clogs up the middle of the field and the 5-10 yard routes we're targeting.

I'd really like to see us change it up and put Ben under center, run some play action, work in some 7 step drops, and if no one's coming after him, hold the ball and go downfield.

Then again, maybe Ben has some arm issues or we're trying to overprotect him from getting hit. I can't remember the last time he took a sack and I also can barely remember a play beyond the LOS (ok a little exaggerated).good pts flip. another alarming problem is that Roethlisberger is avoiding the middle of the field for the most part. It could be too many hands getting up in the throwing lanes or it could be staying safe with outside throws where there is usually less traffic.

NorthCoast
12-09-2020, 04:20 PM
I think we are still missing Munchak to some extentI don't follow the Donkos but I haven't heard of any amazing turnarounds since Munchak got there. Maybe it takes a few years.

flippy
12-09-2020, 04:44 PM
good pts flip. another alarming problem is that Roethlisberger is avoiding the middle of the field for the most part. It could be too many hands getting up in the throwing lanes or it could be staying safe with outside throws where there is usually less traffic.

That's another good point. It's like we're trying to make our opponent defend 0 blades of grass.

I was trying to think what happened that made us abandon the run by so much. I think it was around either the Titans or Ravens game that DD came back. Maybe he had some lingering issues and wasn't ready to go. The we lost Vance. Then how long did it take him to recover? Then we lost Conner and Pouncey and now I think we all underrate the 2 of them because we looked completely lost in the running game without them and Ben seemed to be trying to get rid of the ball faster out of fear.

Is some combination of those 4 key to us even being able to consistently attempt to run? Why did we just seem to bail a little?

NJ-STEELER
12-09-2020, 04:48 PM
teams have to make choices every season.... Steelers tried the other route of paying offensive stars and it didn't work. They went back to their roots of strong defense and I have to say based on results it's working better. And yes, higher draft picks usually translate to better results.... example; WFT defense is #4 in the NFL opponents yds against, they have four 1st round picks starting on the DL including a top 2 pick.

if you think that's working better then don't complain when we can't run the ball

NJ-STEELER
12-09-2020, 04:51 PM
The saddest part is we passed up on Nick Chubb for Edmunds (could have gotten him later).

I hope we aren't saying in a few years we passed up Dobbins for Claypool.

P.S. - Jack is my all-time favorite Steeler.

at the time, i thought we would draft dobbins. but im certainly not complaining about clay.
dobbins looks ok running behind that ravens OL. i don't know if he makes much difference here right now.

FB gus friggin edwards looks ok running behind that raven's line

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-09-2020, 04:52 PM
Up until week 6 or 7, we at least seemed committed to the run. But then from that point on, we seemed to start passing more and running less.

Fichtner seems to become infatuated with things that work and uses it to overkill until every opposing D gets a book on it, and then he forgets about it. Remember last year when we won a game while sprinkling in some wildcat? As fans we all said that it's great that it worked but have to shelve it for awhile and not let opposition gameplan for it. However, the team fell in love with it and kept going to it until it completely blew up. Haven't seen it since.

What about Claypool and the jet sweep? It seemed every week for a few weeks we would see it. Now we never do. Why are there no other wrinkles thrown in once in awhile? a flea flicker? a reverse? Once every few games. What that does is slow the D down half a step the rest of the game, giving the O more time to let plays develop.

NJ-STEELER
12-09-2020, 04:59 PM
I like Fort and maybe we could’ve sacrificed someone else on the D but who would he start over on our defense when all our LB’s were healthy?

I have no idea how Fort is doing this year as a whole but I can admit I didn’t hear much from him in either of our games vs the Ravens this year.

He had a nice INT that they didn’t even try to challenge last night.

why would they need to go trade up for and draft bush at 10 overall if he was a capable starter, like he is in baltimore, and if the coaches can get him to that level?
they gave up a 2nd and 3rd round pick to move up to take him there. 2 picks that could maybe help out some of our weaker areas (OL, RB)

added him to a defense already loaded with with high picks. since 2013 there have been 11 defensive picks and just 5 offensive picks (zero 1st rounders) in the top 2 rounds.

we are an organization that relies on the draft as we don't spend a ton of resources via free agency

when is enough is enough?

flippy
12-09-2020, 05:12 PM
Fichtner seems to become infatuated with things that work and uses it to overkill until every opposing D gets a book on it, and then he forgets about it. Remember last year when we won a game while sprinkling in some wildcat? As fans we all said that it's great that it worked but have to shelve it for awhile and not let opposition gameplan for it. However, the team fell in love with it and kept going to it until it completely blew up. Haven't seen it since.

What about Claypool and the jet sweep? It seemed every week for a few weeks we would see it. Now we never do. Why are there no other wrinkles thrown in once in awhile? a flea flicker? a reverse? Once every few games. What that does is slow the D down half a step the rest of the game, giving the O more time to let plays develop.

Like the Randle El trick plays back in the day any time we got around our opponents 40. You knew it was probably coming and it just never got old or was ever easily defended.

Eich
12-09-2020, 05:38 PM
Like the Randle El trick plays back in the day any time we got around our opponents 40. You knew it was probably coming and it just never got old or was ever easily defended.

Makes me actually miss Wiz!

feltdizz
12-09-2020, 05:46 PM
why would they need to go trade up for and draft bush at 10 overall if he was a capable starter, like he is in baltimore, and if the coaches can get him to that level?
they gave up a 2nd and 3rd round pick to move up to take him there. 2 picks that could maybe help out some of our weaker areas (OL, RB)

added him to a defense already loaded with with high picks. since 2013 there have been 11 defensive picks and just 5 offensive picks (zero 1st rounders) in the top 2 rounds.

we are an organization that relies on the draft as we don't spend a ton of resources via free agency

I mean.. we are 11-1. Its not like our draft history is failing us.

we tend to do better at drafting offense in later draft rounds.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we go OL early next draft.

NorthCoast
12-09-2020, 06:09 PM

when is enough is enough?um... have you even watched the Steelers since Shazier went down and before they grabbed Bush? If you have, you wouldn't even be asking these questions.

Northern_Blitz
12-09-2020, 06:21 PM

I think we gave Fort an offer (maybe even a better one than he accepted?), but he turned it down because he felt like he got d!cked around for playing time when Shazier went down.

I think not giving him more PT was one of our (few) now obvious organizational / coaching mistakes over the years.

I think the biggest was not splitting carries when we had Blount.

NJ-STEELER
12-09-2020, 07:01 PM
um... have you even watched the Steelers since Shazier went down and before they grabbed Bush? If you have, you wouldn't even be asking these questions.

how are the ravens fairing with a guy we had replacing shazier in fort.

have you watched our running game since leveon (talent) has left? have you seen what they've tried replacing him with?

NJ-STEELER
12-09-2020, 07:05 PM
I mean.. we are 11-1. Its not like our draft history is failing us.
i'll mark you down as one who won't complain about the run game then

we tend to do better at drafting offense in later draft rounds.
aside from receiver? where?
and where are the scouts on the defensive side of the ball? why can't they develop players outside the 1st round

I wouldn’t be surprised if we go OL early next draft.

hawaiiansteel
12-09-2020, 07:13 PM
I agree with Wolfley:

AV - Dotson - Pouncey - DeCastro - Feiler

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-09-2020, 07:18 PM

Exactly. Why can't they O do something unexpected?

hawaiiansteel
12-09-2020, 10:28 PM
Steelers are currently #29 in yards per attempt at 3.7 as well as 29th in total rush yards at 1111.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-09-2020, 10:53 PM
Steelers are currently #29 in yards per attempt at 3.7 as well as 29th in total rush yards at 1111.

The crazy thing about these stats is that there are still 3 teams below us.

Northern_Blitz
12-10-2020, 12:02 AM
why can't they develop players outside the 1st round.

Hilton has been very good after being cast off by 2 other teams (including the Pats) [UDFA]. Sutton can play too [3rd].

Vince has been a long time solid (if not always spectacular) contributor [6th].

We were getting contributions from Highsmith [3rd] even before he was forced into a starting role.

We value defense, so we draft guys high there. But guys picked lower have played and contributed too. We admittedly haven't done great in the secondary, but I think it's because it's one of the few positions where we end up feeling the need to reach (maybe because it's hard to find scrap heap corners that can play?).

hawaiiansteel
12-10-2020, 09:53 PM
The crazy thing about these stats is that there are still 3 teams below us.

and Houston, Chicago and the Bungals all have losing records.

NorthCoast
12-11-2020, 01:51 PM
The big question we all have is; can the Steelers be something different than what we have seen on offense? If no, then execution will need to be nearly perfect against these defenses. You have to go all the way back to 2017 when the Steelers were modestly above league average in rush success rate. We blamed the QB for the poor run game last season; "QB can't throw, so defenders are in the box to stuff the run". Fast forward one year and we are saying "QB is throwing short, so defenders are in the box to stuff the run (and pass!). This is the 3rd year in a row that the Steelers are near the bottom in rushing. I'm not sure it's going to get fixed in a few weeks time. I think we have what we have at this point.

feltdizz
12-11-2020, 02:34 PM
The big question we all have is; can the Steelers be something different than what we have seen on offense? If no, then execution will need to be nearly perfect against these defenses. You have to go all the way back to 2017 when the Steelers were modestly above league average in rush success rate. We blamed the QB for the poor run game last season; "QB can't throw, so defenders are in the box to stuff the run". Fast forward one year and we are saying "QB is throwing short, so defenders are in the box to stuff the run (and pass!). This is the 3rd year in a row that the Steelers are near the bottom in rushing. I'm not sure it's going to get fixed in a few weeks time. I think we have what we have at this point.

I got a lot of flack for my doubts about Conner and this OL. I will admit I thought Snell would be an upgrade and I still think if we really made a commitment to the run he could do some good things in this offense.

I fear this is the offense Ben wants and running isn’t really of much interest this year. He’s even admitted he’s checked out of plays that should have been running plays but who knows if that will change this weak.

..and remember the QB sneak? We brought it back after Haley left but it almost feels like it was just done to poke fun of Haley. We should be seeing more of it on 3rd and less than 1 instead of 20 yard fades to McFarland.

flippy
12-11-2020, 02:34 PM
We blamed the QB for the poor run game last season; "QB can't throw, so defenders are in the box to stuff the run". Fast forward one year and we are saying "QB is throwing short, so defenders are in the box to stuff the run (and pass!).

Good point. We've been consistently bad at running and maybe it wasn't the prior or the current QB's fault???

One thing I have noticed going back and watching plays, we seem to struggle blocking a 3 man rush sometimes and Ben's gotta get rid of the ball quicker than he probably wants to. There's no way you completely strip him of his mentality during the rest of his career leading up to this season. And we do get a few flashes of old Ben on some plays, but since they aren't happening much, I'm starting to think he doesn't have the time/comfort level to do what he used to do.

I suspect he might push the envelope a little more in the playoffs.

Steel Maniac
12-11-2020, 02:46 PM

boom.............

hawaiiansteel
12-14-2020, 12:38 AM
17 rushes for 47 yards (2.8 ypc/avg)

but nah, it's not a problem :roll:

Northern_Blitz
12-14-2020, 08:27 AM
Feiler and Dotson both Pec injuries. I didn't see any word on length, but I think these injuries are often serious.

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/12/steelers-offensive-linemen-feiler-dotson-suffered-pectoral-injuries-in-loss-to-bills/

Looks like the interior O-Line might get worse.

Northern_Blitz
12-14-2020, 08:29 AM

Looks like the answer here is "No".

NorthCoast
12-14-2020, 09:02 PM
Wanna watch a real OL block? Conner & Co would love to run through these holes!.... (btw, look who the coach is on the other side, ha!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sba6hkyg6RY

hawaiiansteel
12-15-2020, 12:20 AM
ESPN’s Booger McFarland calls Steelers’ offensive line ‘soft’

https://larrybrownsports.com/football/espn-booger-mcfarland-steelers-offensive-line-soft/569897

NorthCoast
12-15-2020, 12:37 AM

https://larrybrownsports.com/football/espn-booger-mcfarland-steelers-offensive-line-soft/569897preach it booger

hawaiiansteel
12-15-2020, 02:24 PM
Steelers C Maurkice Pouncey fires back after being called soft by NFL analyst

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2020/12/15/steelers-maurkice-pouncey-nfl-espn-booger-mcfarland/

flippy
12-15-2020, 02:34 PM
Steelers C Maurkice Pouncey fires back after being called soft by NFL analyst

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2020/12/15/steelers-maurkice-pouncey-nfl-espn-booger-mcfarland/

I'd rather see them prove on the field that they aren't soft.

hawaiiansteel
12-15-2020, 03:06 PM
Steelers Injury Update: Kevin Dotson Might Be Able To Play Against Bengals

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/12/steelers-injury-update-kevin-dotson-might-be-able-to-play-against-bengals/

hawaiiansteel
12-15-2020, 05:34 PM
Joe Rutter
@tribjoerutter

Steelers have signed offensive lineman Danny Isidora from the Kansas City Chiefs practice squad. He will be part of 53-man roster once he passes covid-19 protocols.

https://twitter.com/tribjoerutter?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweet embed%7Ctwterm%5E1338949083688472576%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ct wcon%5Es1_&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.steelersuniver se.com%2Fforums%2Fshowthread.php%2F32474-Roster-moves-continue-for-the-Steelers

Eich
12-16-2020, 09:55 AM
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/much-little-time-steelers-hc-201131213.html

Tomlin says his team is working on adjustments. We just have to trust the results will manifest themselves. We’re not going to see significant changes in the run game this regular season. But if we’re lucky, we’ll see them in the playoffs.

Interesting comment from Tomlin.

NorthCoast
12-16-2020, 10:06 AM
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/much-little-time-steelers-hc-201131213.html

Interesting comment from Tomlin.That wasn't in quotes though so not sure if the writer is giving his interpretation of what Tomlin said.

flippy
12-16-2020, 10:37 AM
That wasn't in quotes though so not sure if the writer is giving his interpretation of what Tomlin said.

We probably look like we’re getting better in practice against a D that struggles to stop the run.

Northern_Blitz
12-16-2020, 01:50 PM
I'd rather see them prove on the field that they aren't soft.

Can't argue with that.

I would love to see them knock the next DL that jumps on his ass hard.

Eich
12-16-2020, 03:00 PM
That wasn't in quotes though so not sure if the writer is giving his interpretation of what Tomlin said.

True. This part was though, which is similar in message:

“We haven’t necessarily seen the fruit of that work yet, and some of that can be traced to the short weeks,” Tomlin said in his weekly press conference. “We’ve acknowledged that, and that’s why we’re excited to work this week. Our continued emphasis is there in an effort to get that product to look the way we need it to look, round out our offensive attack, and allow it to be more fluid and productive.”

hawaiiansteel
12-17-2020, 02:38 PM
Analytics Quick Hit: The Steelers’ Disappearing Rushing Attack

By Brad Congelio
Posted on December 16, 2020

There is no gentle way to put this: the Pittsburgh Steelers’ rushing game is terrible, especially since week seven of this season.

Prior to week seven, the Steelers averaged roughly 136 rushing yards per game. Since week seven? That average has dropped to just a hair under 60-yards per game.

But, what about location specific numbers? Or, in other words: are the Steelers having more success running to the left, middle, or right side of the field?

to read rest of article:

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/12/analytics-quick-hit-the-steelers-disappearing-rushing-attack/

feltdizz
12-18-2020, 10:46 AM
Just read that Snell had 3 carries for 14 yards in the first half and never carried the ball again.

7 yard run
2 yard run
5 yard run

Why did we stop using him?

That’s terrible.

flippy
12-18-2020, 11:11 AM
Just read that Snell had 3 carries for 14 yards in the first half and never carried the ball again.

7 yard run
2 yard run
5 yard run

That’s terrible.

I think we wanted to get more throws either to or behind the LOS and giving more handoffs to Snell wouldn't have helped there.

feltdizz
12-18-2020, 12:20 PM
I think we wanted to get more throws either to or behind the LOS and giving more handoffs to Snell wouldn't have helped there.

Right? While I agree our ground game is garbage right now I still think part of the problem is simply abandoning the run for no reason at all.

hawaiiansteel
12-18-2020, 03:33 PM
Right? While I agree our ground game is garbage right now I still think part of the problem is simply abandoning the run for no reason at all.

Fichtner has been quoted in the past that he views short passes as runs, so in his mind he's not abandoning the run at all.

Randy Fichtner continues to defend neglecting the run game

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2018/12/14/randy-fichtner-continues-to-defend-neglecting-the-run-game/

hawaiiansteel
12-19-2020, 01:09 AM
Steelers host former Tampa Bay Buccaneers center for tryout

Allison Koehler
December 18, 2020

Zach is back! According to the NFL transaction wire, the Pittsburgh Steelers brought center Zach Shackelford in for a Friday tryout. Shackelford had a tryout earlier this month shortly after Maurkice Pouncey was placed on the Reserve/COVID-19 list.

The Texas Longhorns product started 40 of 43 games at center. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers signed him as an undrafted free agent following the 2020 NFL draft but released him on cut-down day.

With injuries to guards Matt Feiler (pectoral) and Kevin Dotson (shoulder), offensive line depth is thin. Backup center J.C. Hassenauer stepped in at guard during the Buffalo Bills game, and he’ll likely do the same on Monday.

If signed, Shackelford could be backing up Pouncey.

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2020/12/18/pittsburgh-steelers-tryout-tampa-bay-buccaneers-center-zach-shackelford-nfl-2020/

NJ-STEELER
12-19-2020, 06:43 AM

7 yard run
2 yard run
5 yard run

That’s terrible.

Ask the coach.

oh wait. He’s not responsible for that. He’s too busy with the defense.
oh wait he doesn’t call the defensive plays either.

feltdizz
12-19-2020, 12:08 PM
Ask the coach.

oh wait. He’s not responsible for that. He’s too busy with the defense.
oh wait he doesn’t call the defensive plays either.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/facebook/000/022/524/tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-19-2020, 01:38 PM

With creative play calling perhaps you could play-action to Snell, thus slowing down the D, before you then launch a two yard pass to him behind the line, and watch him fly through the open field for a three yard gain.

NJ-STEELER
12-20-2020, 12:17 AM
https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/facebook/000/022/524/tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg

how do I caption that picture with the saying ... ben missing practice is the reason the receivers are dropping balls

feltdizz
12-20-2020, 11:07 AM
how do I caption that picture with the saying ... ben missing practice is the reason the receivers are dropping balls

use this:

Randy Fichtner on WR drops: "I hate to use the idea that Ben in these shorter weeks hasn't practiced .. but they catch on jugs. But there's something getting more balls and the basic practice schedules where Ben can throw to those receivers. I'm looking forward to that today. "

Steel Maniac
12-20-2020, 12:13 PM
With creative play calling perhaps you could play-action to Snell, thus slowing down the D, before you then launch a two yard pass to him behind the line, and watch him fly through the open field for a three yard gain.

Stop making sense!! What’s wrong with you??

NorthCoast
12-20-2020, 12:38 PM
A few of us are wondering where the innovative playcalling of Canada has gone? At the beginning of the season there was a lot of stuff that looked different. But the last month it's looking more and more vanilla especially in the run game. I don't know if this is some master plan that Tomlin has heading toward post season or if it's just injuries are keeping them from doing anything special. I like to think they are holding off on stuff until the post season, but I don't see how an offense can just turn on these things without game experience.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-20-2020, 03:30 PM
Stop making sense!! What’s wrong with you??

I have a background as an offensive coordinator.

I used to play a lot of Madden.

feltdizz
12-20-2020, 03:36 PM
A few of us are wondering where the innovative playcalling of Canada has gone? At the beginning of the season there was a lot of stuff that looked different. But the last month it's looking more and more vanilla especially in the run game. I don't know if this is some master plan that Tomlin has heading toward post season or if it's just injuries are keeping them from doing anything special. I like to think they are holding off on stuff until the post season, but I don't see how an offense can just turn on these things without game experience.

we haven’t had any injuries that would impact our play calling on offense

NJ-STEELER
12-20-2020, 03:49 PM
use this:

Randy Fichtner on WR drops: "I hate to use the idea that Ben in these shorter weeks hasn't practiced .. but they catch on jugs. But there's something getting more balls and the basic practice schedules where Ben can throw to those receivers. I'm looking forward to that today. "

So now you’re using the coach everyone wants to replace to back you’re idiotic arguement?

his words are nothing more then not piling on the young group of receivers which tomlin has already done.

Just watch the games and you’ll see most of these drops are totally on the receivers. Hitting them right in the hands. The kind of balls that need to be caught regardless of who is quarterbacking

ps. Ben also missed the whole week of practice leading up to the Cincy game.
how did that turn out.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-20-2020, 04:11 PM

Wasn't Canada away with Covid the last couple of games?

feltdizz
12-20-2020, 04:15 PM
So now you’re using the coach everyone wants to replace to back you’re idiotic arguement?

his words are nothing more then not piling on the young group of receivers which tomlin has already done.

Just watch the games and you’ll see most of these drops are totally on the receivers. Hitting them right in the hands. The kind of balls that need to be caught regardless of who is quarterbacking

ps. Ben also missed the whole week of practice leading up to the Cincy game.
how did that turn out.

Fans don't like the OC so he must be lying??? Got it.

.. and sure, it worked against Cincinnati the first time so that means it’s guaranteed to work against defenses like Baltimore, Washington and Buffalo.

and isn’t odd how some fans always blame the OC? Even when its a guy Ben vouched for and likes?

NorthCoast
12-20-2020, 06:47 PM
Wasn't Canada away with Covid the last couple of games?

He was but I think he was back for last game.

NJ-STEELER
12-20-2020, 09:31 PM
Fans don't like the OC so he must be lying??? Got it.

.. and sure, it worked against Cincinnati the first time so that means it’s guaranteed to work against defenses like Baltimore, Washington and Buffalo.

and isn’t odd how some fans always blame the OC? Even when its a guy Ben vouched for and likes?

Why wouldn’t they drop passes vs cincy if Ben didn’t practice. That was your theory and I blew it out the water.
what on earth does the defenses we’re playing matter when the drops we are seeing have nothing to do with the defense.
they are mostly dropping easy wide open passes.

Gotta love this “ bens guy” BS u keep spouting.

other then Haley, who had family ties with the organization,
who was the last OC hired that wasn’t already on the staff?

heck, look at the other assistant coaching positions as well.
open your eyes and you may realize this is what the organization has done for a long time

NJ-STEELER
12-20-2020, 09:52 PM
Wasn’t arians, promoted from WR coach, “bens guy”

why did they fire him if Ben has so much say on who the OC is ?

feltdizz
12-21-2020, 11:06 AM
Why wouldn’t they drop passes vs cincy if Ben didn’t practice. That was your theory and I blew it out the water.
what on earth does the defenses we’re playing matter when the drops we are seeing have nothing to do with the defense.
they are mostly dropping easy wide open passes.

Gotta love this “ bens guy” BS u keep spouting.

other then Haley, who had family ties with the organization,
who was the last OC hired that wasn’t already on the staff?

heck, look at the other assistant coaching positions as well.
open your eyes and you may realize this is what the organization has done for a long time

I’m not sure they didn’t drop passes vs Cinch the first time. Dropped passes will receive more scrutiny when the score is closer or we lose.

We have 37 drops on the season. This didn’t just start a few weeks ago.

hawaiiansteel
12-21-2020, 12:45 PM
The biggest offseason need for every NFL team:

PITTSBURGH STEELERS: OFFENSIVE TACKLE

You could throw quarterback on here too, but offensive line is where they could have actual holes. Left tackle Alejandro Villanueva and left guard Matt Feiler are both set to hit free agency. While rookie Kevin Dotson can fill in Feiler’s shoes, it just will not be as easy to replace Villanueva. It’s even more of a need because Chukwuma Okorafor, and his 57.7 overall grade, hasn’t exactly impressed at right tackle.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-biggest-offseason-need-for-every-nfl-team-2021-nfl-draft-free-agency?utm_source=cj&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_camp aign=cjaff&cjevent=c120897943aa11eb801701cf0a1c0e0 b#PIT

NJ-STEELER
12-21-2020, 07:25 PM
I’m not sure they didn’t drop passes vs Cinch the first time. Dropped passes will receive more scrutiny when the score is closer or we lose.

We have 37 drops on the season. This didn’t just start a few weeks ago.

how can that be though, if ben's only missed practice the last few weeks. wasn't that was your argument??

PS. did you purposely avoid the 2nd part of the reply? do you have an answer of an OC not being hired from within?

NorthCoast
12-22-2020, 12:58 AM
My beef with coaching would be the season long fails on opening series. And tonight it was magnified tenfold. After a full week of practice, to start like that was mindblowing.
It hasn't gotten better which is the most worrisome part. Gives opponents more early opportunities. Post season could be ugly.

hawaiiansteel
12-23-2020, 01:42 PM
2 (60) Pittsburgh Steelers: Liam Eichenberg, OT, Notre Dame

Here's a potential starter at right tackle if Zach Banner's injury is very serious.

Liam Eichenberg took over at left tackle in the wake of Mike McGlinchey's departure to the NFL.

https://walterfootball.com/draft2021_2.php

NJ-STEELER
12-23-2020, 07:19 PM
2 (60) Pittsburgh Steelers: Liam Eichenberg, OT, Notre Dame

Here's a potential starter at right tackle if Zach Banner's injury is very serious.

Liam Eichenberg took over at left tackle in the wake of Mike McGlinchey's departure to the NFL.

https://walterfootball.com/draft2021_2.php

Unless he can project to the left side. Heck no.

bannar, flier, or chuks can battle it out for the starting RT spot
We need a high pick to replace AV

Sly
12-23-2020, 07:30 PM

https://larrybrownsports.com/football/espn-booger-mcfarland-steelers-offensive-line-soft/569897

I played high school and college ball, never the pros, but I can guarantee you that no one who plays pro ball is soft. Some may be tougher than others, but none are soft.

Captain Lemming
12-23-2020, 07:41 PM
I played high school and college ball, never the pros, but I can guarantee you that no one who plays pro ball is soft. Some may be tougher than others, but none are soft.

In context he is talking soft relative to others at the position.

Considering the dude played across from olinemen in the NFL as a DT, he knows how to recognize "soft" in a lineman.

Steel Maniac
12-24-2020, 11:49 AM
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2021-nfl-mock-draft-four-quarterbacks-taken-in-top-five-dolphins-land-elite-wr-patriots-scoop-up-kyle-pitts/

See if you guys like the Steelers selection in this mock draft

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-24-2020, 03:54 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2021-nfl-mock-draft-four-quarterbacks-taken-in-top-five-dolphins-land-elite-wr-patriots-scoop-up-kyle-pitts/

See if you guys like the Steelers selection in this mock draft

Don't know anything else about the guy but love that he had the letters OL beside his name.

NorthCoast
12-25-2020, 09:25 AM
There is a general feeling the Steelers need to run more PA to keep defenses honest. Some info I was able to find shows that while they use PA grudgingly they are not really using it all that effectively. Look at the numbers:

Snaps under center - 19% (#28 ) (NFL avg is 36%)
Run rate under center - 85% (#1)
Pass rate under center - 15% (#32)

I would have expected a lot more passes in PA given the Steelers best skill position on offense are the receivers and the run game is blah. I wonder if this is because Roethlisberger isn't comfortable passing out of PA? It also kinda defeats the surprise element.

Northern_Blitz
12-25-2020, 09:40 AM
There is a general feeling the Steelers need to run more PA to keep defenses honest. Some info I was able to find shows that while they use PA grudgingly they are not really using it all that effectively. Look at the numbers:

I would have expected a lot more passes in PA given the Steelers best skill position on offense are the receivers and the run game is blah. I wonder if this is because Roethlisberger isn't comfortable passing out of PA? It also kinda defeats the surprise element.

This is what I think (while he's under center anyway).

And without knowing the numbers, my guess is that PA out of the gun isn't as effective as when under center.

Mr.wizard
12-25-2020, 10:45 AM

It probably has to do with the fact that Ben is pretty immobile and they are try to get the ball out quick.

BURGH86STEEL
12-25-2020, 11:04 AM
In context he is talking soft relative to others at the position.

Considering the dude played across from olinemen in the NFL as a DT, he knows how to recognize "soft" in a lineman.
Well I don't think it's soft. It's poor execution and injuries. Soft gets better sound bites and more of a reaction than poor execution and injuries. The Oline hasn't had a lot of continuity due to injuries.

Sly
12-25-2020, 01:52 PM
My beef with coaching would be the season long fails on opening series. And tonight it was magnified tenfold. After a full week of practice, to start like that was mindblowing.
It hasn't gotten better which is the most worrisome part. Gives opponents more early opportunities. Post season could be ugly.

If the Steelers had a rookie QB, we could be assured that whatever play the OC called would be run. So the question is what percentage of plays is called by Ben and not the OC. From what I've read the OC suggests but Ben makes the final call.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-26-2020, 01:56 AM

This goes to the idea that the current offense is too predictable. They almost never go under center, but when they do, they are running the ball. As a coach, how easy is it when you can say "When they go under C then don't worry about the pass. You are in run D."?

It is like in the last game they used the jet sweep once, and it failed. The problem? It is the only jet sweep play that they ever run, and to the same guy! When is the last time you watched this O and actually thought Wow! I haven't seen that before/in a long time?

NorthCoast
12-26-2020, 08:53 AM
If the Steelers had a rookie QB, we could be assured that whatever play the OC called would be run. So the question is what percentage of plays is called by Ben and not the OC. From what I've read the OC suggests but Ben makes the final call.I have a hard time believing Roethlisberger would change the script in every game's opening possession. Why have a script at all then? Just let him wing it. Then again, it kinda looked that way last week.

steeler_george
12-26-2020, 09:19 AM
This goes to the idea that the current offense is too predictable. They almost never go under center, but when they do, they are running the ball. As a coach, how easy is it when you can say "When they go under C then don't worry about the pass. You are in run D."?

It is like in the last game they used the jet sweep once, and it failed. The problem? It is the only jet sweep play that they ever run, and to the same guy! When is the last time you watched this O and actually thought Wow! I haven't seen that before/in a long time?

That is what kills me...

They run same plays to same players, they don't even use those plays to build up on something to fool teams, they did that once with Claypool running a fake jet sweep and Conner ran it in for a TD.

They keep throwing screen passes to Ray Ray, it worked once, now they run it every week, when he is on the field everyone is waiting for it.

What is the word I am looking for, there is no play set up, to sucker the D into thinking the same then switch it up. Look at that run by Finney, where Highsmith kept taking the bait inside, then they popped it up as a keeper and was a long QB sneak for a TD.

Sly
12-26-2020, 10:12 AM
I have a hard time believing Roethlisberger would change the script in every game's opening possession. Why have a script at all then? Just let him wing it. Then again, it kinda looked that way last week.

I made my comment because of a comment made by Joe Flacco of the Ravens. In response to a question by a reporter about a terrible play call, Flacco said "I run what they tell me." Fans were infuriated by the comment since he made it after being in the NFL for over 5 years, and they thought he should have a lot more discretion at the line of scrimmage. On the other extreme was Peyton Manning who called most of the plays at the line. I don't know where Ben falls in this mix.

hawaiiansteel
01-09-2021, 03:46 PM
Will The Lack Of A Running Game Be The Steelers’ Downfall?

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/01/will-the-lack-of-a-running-game-be-the-steelers-downfall/

Northern_Blitz
01-09-2021, 05:23 PM
I have a hard time believing Roethlisberger would change the script in every game's opening possession. Why have a script at all then? Just let him wing it. Then again, it kinda looked that way last week.

I doubt that he changes the script.

But I assume that all HOF QBs have a lot of influence over what the beginning script looks like.

hawaiiansteel
01-09-2021, 06:33 PM
Matt Feiler ‘Expected To Start’ Over Kevin Dotson Tomorrow Night

By Alex Kozora
Posted on January 9, 2021

Here’s some news that won’t sit well with Steelers’ Nation. After being activated from injured reserve, the PPG’s Ray Fittipaldo writes Matt Feiler is expected to start tomorrow night’s Wild Card game against the Browns.

From the PPG:

“Rookie Kevin Doston started in place of Feiler when he was injured and is expected to return to his role as a backup.”

ILB Robert Spillane, also activated off IR today, will start as well. Spillane’s rise back into the starting lineup is far less surprising than Feiler’s. Feiler has struggled in his transition from right tackle to left guard. Dotson has filled in admirably, grading out as one of football’s best pass protectors. For a pass-happy team like the Steelers, that would seem to take higher priority.

But the Steelers appear determined to return to Feiler. Feiler does bring more experience for this playoff battle and had he not gotten hurt, likely would’ve remained in the starting lineup. Earlier in the week, OC Randy Fichtner didn’t commit to starting Dotson or Feiler, saying both were receiving work.

Spillane is expected to start over Avery Williamson tomorrow and play alongside Vince Williams. It’s unclear if there will be any sort of rotation between the three. Marcus Allen is also an option for when the Steelers play their dime defense in obvious pass situations.

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/01/matt-feiler-expected-to-start-over-kevin-dotson-tomorrow-night/

Captain Lemming
01-10-2021, 05:39 AM
That is what kills me...

They run same plays to same players, they don't even use those plays to build up on something to fool teams, they did that once with Claypool running a fake jet sweep and Conner ran it in for a TD.

They keep throwing screen passes to Ray Ray, it worked once, now they run it every week, when he is on the field everyone is waiting for it.

What is the word I am looking for, there is no play set up, to sucker the D into thinking the same then switch it up. Look at that run by Finney, where Highsmith kept taking the bait inside, then they popped it up as a keeper and was a long QB sneak for a TD.

They've actually done the fake several times. It worked once.

Captain Lemming
01-10-2021, 05:46 AM
I made my comment because of a comment made by Joe Flacco of the Ravens. In response to a question by a reporter about a terrible play call, Flacco said "I run what they tell me." Fans were infuriated by the comment since he made it after being in the NFL for over 5 years, and they thought he should have a lot more discretion at the line of scrimmage. On the other extreme was Peyton Manning who called most of the plays at the line. I don't know where Ben falls in this mix.

If the Flacco play went bad, and he is catching heat, his response is expected even "if" he has freedom to change a play.

Steel Maniac
01-17-2021, 09:11 PM
Sooooo...

All the posters who said losing Munchak wasn’t a big deal , I hope you learn something about football. The O-line looked like dog sh!t the moment he left. Hard to properly evaluate the O-line when we’ve had a bum coaching them for two years. Sarratt proved to be a clown just like I said he was. We need a good, experienced O- line coach if we are really serious about getting things back on track.

NorthCoast
01-17-2021, 09:22 PM
Sooooo...

All the posters who said losing Munchak wasn’t a big deal , I hope you learn something about football. The O-line looked like dog sh!t the moment he left. Hard to properly evaluate the O-line when we’ve had a bum coaching them for two years. Sarratt proved to be a clown just like I said he was. We need a good, experienced O- line coach if we are really serious about getting things back on track.uh, Munchak was still here in 2018 and the Steelers were 31st in rushing. Pretty much the same as today.

hawaiiansteel
01-17-2021, 09:25 PM
uh, Munchak was still here in 2018 and the Steelers were 31st in rushing. Pretty much the same as today.

hope you learned something about football :D

BURGH86STEEL
01-17-2021, 09:32 PM
Sooooo...

All the posters who said losing Munchak wasn’t a big deal , I hope you learn something about football. The O-line looked like dog sh!t the moment he left. Hard to properly evaluate the O-line when we’ve had a bum coaching them for two years. Sarratt proved to be a clown just like I said he was. We need a good, experienced O- line coach if we are really serious about getting things back on track.
Hey everybody come look at me.

I don't believe losing Munchak was that big a deal. Some of the issues on the Oline were due to injuries this year. Difficult to maintain continuity on the Oline when injuries strike. No one here knows why Sarratt was not retained.

How could you know Sarratt would be a clown before he even had the opportunity to coach?

Steel Maniac
01-17-2021, 09:36 PM
I submit to you the immediate results the very next regular season game and going forward after Munchak left.

hawaiiansteel
01-17-2021, 09:38 PM
I submit to you the immediate results the very next regular season game and going forward after Munchak left.

you mean the next game after we finished 31st in rushing?

oh okay.

Steel Maniac
01-17-2021, 09:38 PM

You don’t have a guy sit under the best O-line coach in football for a short time and then automatically think he’s just as good as the best O-line coach in the game. Munchak is the best for a reason.

hawaiiansteel
01-17-2021, 09:40 PM
You don’t have a guy sit under the best O-line coach in football for a short time and then automatically think he’s just as good as the best O-line coach in the game. Munchak is the best for a reason.

gotta love a guy who quotes himself. :roll:

Steel Maniac
01-17-2021, 09:40 PM
When Munchak came, our O-line was bad. He got it to be one of the vest in football. The line became crap immediately after he left. No coincidence.

hawaiiansteel
01-17-2021, 09:43 PM
When Munchak came, our O-line was bad. He got it to be one of the vest in football. The line became crap immediately after he left. No coincidence.

the last year Munchak was here we finished 31st in rushing.

did we finish 32nd the year after he left?

Steel Maniac
01-17-2021, 09:48 PM
uh, Munchak was still here in 2018 and the Steelers were 31st in rushing. Pretty much the same as today.

Are you saying that he had no effect upon him leaving? So Sarrett was legit? That’s why he was let go?

hawaiiansteel
01-17-2021, 09:51 PM
Are you saying that he had no effect upon him leaving?

huh, what are you talking about?

whatever
01-17-2021, 10:26 PM
I remember fans saying sarrett was a great hire.

NorthCoast
01-17-2021, 10:27 PM
Are you saying that he had no effect upon him leaving? So Sarrett was legit? That’s why he was let go?I'm saying there wasn't much visibly different between the run game in Munch's last season and this season. Both were abysmal.

Steel Maniac
01-17-2021, 10:56 PM

Exactly....so do I.

Steel Maniac
01-17-2021, 11:00 PM
I'm saying there wasn't much visibly different between the run game in Munch's last season and this season. Both were abysmal.

Okay. Question. Do you think if we got a legit O-line coach after Monchek, that we would have a better line now? Taking into account that a real O-line coach would have came in and probably not gone along with the bargain basement way we were bringing in lineman thr last two years.

hawaiiansteel
01-18-2021, 12:04 AM
Sooooo...

All the posters who said losing Munchak wasn’t a big deal , I hope you learn something about football. The O-line looked like dog sh!t the moment he left.

Sooooo...

what do you not understand?

our run offense ranked 31st the last year Munchak was with us.

how exactly did it get worse the day he left?

I'm not learning a lot about football from you here.

NorthCoast
01-18-2021, 08:31 AM
I remember fans saying sarrett was a great hire.It was until it wasn't. It was Sarrett's first real NFL coaching job. The Steelers gave him a shot. It didn't work out probably for several reasons including ones that were not his doing.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-18-2021, 12:48 PM

The truth is that nobody here actually knew much about who the guy even was, except the name. The only thing to consider at the time was to continue with a Munchak disciple or go another way. Anybody who pretended to know whether or not Sarrett was personally a good coach had little actual knowledge.

Northern_Blitz
01-18-2021, 12:52 PM

You're not allowed to use facts to contradict narratives.

Northern_Blitz
01-18-2021, 12:58 PM

Broncos Rushing rank:
- 2017 - 12
- 2018 - 12
- 2019 - 20 < Munchak Joins Broncos
- 2020 - 13

So, Munchak leaves the Steelers and we remain bad at running.

And Munchak joins the Broncos and they get significantly worse at running before almost getting back to as good as they were before he got there Rankings that close can be a bit misleading as the difference between 12 and 13 was ~3.5 yards per game this season.

My guess is that they probably lost talent between 2018 and 2019. Don't follow the Broncos though.

hawaiiansteel
01-18-2021, 01:33 PM
The truth is that nobody here actually knew much about who the guy even was, except the name. The only thing to consider at the time was to continue with a Munchak disciple or go another way. Anybody who pretended to know whether or not Sarrett was personally a good coach had little actual knowledge.

since when has that stopped SM from his narratives?

having little actual knowledge is her specialty.

hawaiiansteel
01-18-2021, 01:35 PM
I'm saying there wasn't much visibly different between the run game in Munch's last season and this season. Both were abysmal.

details, details :D

whatever
01-18-2021, 01:50 PM
So in conclusion , some are saying our run game was the same with and without munch.
That we desperately need oline now.
BUT those same fans are blaming sarrett and happy he got fired.

feltdizz
01-18-2021, 02:43 PM
So in conclusion , some are saying our run game was the same with and without munch.

yes.. and some of those same fans thought we had a great OL because we weren’t giving up sacks.

whatever
01-18-2021, 02:53 PM
yes.. and some of those same fans thought we had a great OL because we weren’t giving up sacks.

Okay. Sounds about right for those fans.

Northern_Blitz
01-18-2021, 02:58 PM

Are people blaming Sarrett?

I think it's just that our good OL got old (and / or hurt).

I think this is the same reason they were bad when Munch was still here. Not because he's a bad coach. Because they aren't good at run blocking anymore.

BURGH86STEEL
01-18-2021, 03:12 PM
I don't believe a lack off a consistent run game simply fell at the feet of the Oline. Some it was on Ben. Some of it was on the RB. The Steelers need to get better at the starting RB position.

NorthCoast
01-18-2021, 03:51 PM
I don't believe a lack off a consistent run game simply fell at the feet of the Oline. Some it was on Ben. Some of it was on the RB. The Steelers need to get better at the starting RB position.Probably some truth there:

Year
RushAttempts Rank
RushYds Rank

15th
20th

31st
31st

20th
29th

28th
32nd

2017 was Bell's last season here. Everyone knows Roethlisberger went pass-happy in 2018 when he threw for a career high. Exit Roethlisberger in 2019 and attempts to run improve, just not very good at it. Enter Roethlisberger in 2020, back to no running again. See a pattern here?

BURGH86STEEL
01-18-2021, 04:04 PM
Probably some truth there:

Year
RushAttempts Rank
RushYds Rank

15th
20th

31st
31st

20th
29th

28th
32nd

2017 was Bell's last season here. Everyone knows Roethlisberger went pass-happy in 2018 when he threw for a career high. Exit Roethlisberger in 2019 and attempts to run improve, just not very good at it. Enter Roethlisberger in 2020, back to no running again. See a pattern here?
From some accounts Ben had the authority to change the play at the line. Some times he changed the run calls to passes. I believe I read something to the effect that the coaches wanted Ben to execute the runs as called more often.

Maybe the Steelers coaches need to practice running the ball more? I don't know how much physical contact they had in practice in an effort to improve the run game this year. I guess it's a fine line between wearing defensive players out or risking injury to both sides of the ball. Other teams face the same issues. Whatever the case we all agree they need to improve the run game. Improving the run game can happen a variety of ways. It might not actually be seriously implemented until Ben retires.

hawaiiansteel
01-18-2021, 04:08 PM
From some accounts Ben had the authority to change the play at the line. Some times he changed the run calls to passes. I believe I read something to the effect that the coaches wanted Ben to execute the runs as called more often.

Maybe the Steelers coaches need to practice running the ball more? I don't know how much physical contact they had in practice in an effort to improve the run game this year. I guess it's a fine line between wearing defensive players out or risking injury to both sides of the ball. Other teams face the same issues. Whatever the case we all agree they need to improve the run game. Improving the run game can happen a variety of ways. It might not actually be seriously implemented until Ben retires.

Fichtner is on record as saying he considers short passes to be like runs.

that kind of mentality doesn't help trying to establish a dominant running attack.

BURGH86STEEL
01-18-2021, 04:21 PM
Fichtner is on record as saying he considers short passes to be like runs.

that kind of mentality doesn't help trying to establish a dominant running attack.
Maybe that's the philosophy they felt they had to implement for different reasons? The offense ran the ball fairly well earlier in the season so it's not like the coaches simply didn't believe in running the ball.

Fichtner gone now so we shall see. I think it's still Ben's offense as long as he remains the QB.

NorthCoast
01-18-2021, 04:21 PM

Maybe the Steelers coaches need to practice running the ball more? I don't know how much physical contact they had in practice in an effort to improve the run game this year. I guess it's a fine line between wearing defensive players out or risking injury to both sides of the ball. Other teams face the same issues. Whatever the case we all agree they need to improve the run game. Improving the run game can happen a variety of ways. It might not actually be seriously implemented until Ben retires.This could be Tomlin 'the players coach' trying to go easy on the veterans. I look at the other teams in the division, Cleveland and Baltimore both had games where 2nd and 3rd string guys were playing on the OL and it seemed they barely missed a beat against the Steelers. Cleveland had OL playing with literally one day of practice doing well against the Steelers defense. There were media claims the Steelers OL was soft. Pouncey took issue with it but reality is they were.

BURGH86STEEL
01-18-2021, 04:36 PM
This could be Tomlin 'the players coach' trying to go easy on the veterans. I look at the other teams in the division, Cleveland and Baltimore both had games where 2nd and 3rd string guys were playing on the OL and it seemed they barely missed a beat against the Steelers. Cleveland had OL playing with literally one day of practice doing well against the Steelers defense. There were media claims the Steelers OL was soft. Pouncey took issue with it but reality is they were.
Those teams seem to have run 1st and run more philosophies. They Ravens have an X factor in their run game that no other team has. Some times Jackson's runs were not by design. The Browns were a good run team. They also have 2 quality RB's. The Browns had a more balanced offensive attack.

I don't view NFL players as soft. Pouncey and Decastro were never great at the point of attack. They seemed to be more suited to blocking at angles and in space. I don't think Feiler was good enough at pulling and blocking from the guard position. It appears the Steelers didn't have a RB with good enough vision this year. I think injuries also hurt the Oline from a continuity perspective.

NorthCoast
01-18-2021, 05:33 PM
Those teams seem to have run 1st and run more philosophies. They Ravens have an X factor in their run game that no other team has. Some times Jackson's runs were not by design. The Browns were a good run team. They also have 2 quality RB's. The Browns had a more balanced offensive attack.

I don't view NFL players as soft. Pouncey and Decastro were never great at the point of attack. They seemed to be more suited to blocking at angles and in space. I don't think Feiler was good enough at pulling and blocking from the guard position. It appears the Steelers didn't have a RB with good enough vision this year. I think injuries also hurt the Oline from a continuity perspective.Again fair points Burgh. If you have a HOF QB; who are you going to give the ball to? But, I think the Steelers and coaches were hoping for HOF performance but only got average. This is probably what they will get next season.

"Soft" is a relative term. Yea, they could be the crap out of me any day of the week but they are playing against 20 somethings that have brute strength and conditioning. Nothing to apologize about, everyone loses it at some point.

One other point; everyone points to the first part of the season where the Steelers run game was actually working. This is where it's good to look at the league in general because the first half of the season most defenses sucked bad. Hence the record scoring.
For the first eight games the Steelers ranked 13th in the NFL in rushing success, averaging 4.3 yds/carry. So while they had success they were pretty close to be average. Of course we all know what happened in the second half of the season.

hawaiiansteel
01-18-2021, 06:44 PM
CBS Mock Draft Has Steelers Going OT In First Round

By Alex Kozora
Posted on January 18, 2021

CBS Sports released their latest mock draft on Monday, making a logical selection for the Pittsburgh Steelers at #24. They have the team taking Alabama offensive tackle Alex Leatherwood with their first round pick. Explaining the selection, author Chris Trapasso writes:

“The Steelers are going to have plenty of difficult decisions to make this offseason, and rebuilding the offensive line is a must.”

Short, sweet, to the point. And an accurate assessment of the Steelers’ situation. Their offensive line won’t look the same in 2021 and considering how poorly they run blocked, that’s a good thing. But the Steelers are likely to lose one of their best pass protectors in LT Alejandro Villanueva. With uncertainty for how they’ll fill the position, Leatherwood could become the Day One starter on Ben Roethlisberger’s blindside.

Leatherwood had a decorated career with the Crimson Tide, winning the Outland Trophy while being named a unanimous All-American. A three-year starter, he kicked out to left tackle after playing guard in 2018, replacing Jonah Williams, who would go on to be the Bengals first round pick.

With draft season underway, we’re about to start posting out 2021 player profiles. My focus has been on other Alabama linemen but my initial report on Leatherwood is that he’s a good athlete with violent hands. Josh Carney will have a full report on Leatherwood in the coming days.

Elsewhere in CBS’ mock draft, Clemson’s Trevor Lawrence predictably goes first overall to the Jacksonville Jaguars. The top three picks are quarterbacks – Justin Fields to the Jets, Zach Wilson to the Texans (in a hypothetical trade that sends Deshaun Watson to Miami). Around the AFC North, the Bengals address their offensive line by selecting Oregon’s Penei Sewell at #5, the Ravens give Lamar Jackson another weapon with Ohio State WR Chris Olave, while the Browns boost their defense with Georgia LB Azeez Ojulari.

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/01/cbs-mock-draft-has-steelers-going-ot-in-first-round/

NorthCoast
01-19-2021, 02:02 PM
A new Steelers record... but a sad one:

Since the NFL-AFL merger in 1970, the Steelers never had finished last in the NFL in rushing before the 2020 season. The previous worst was in 2003 and 2018 when they finished 31st both years.

whatever
01-19-2021, 02:15 PM
A new Steelers record... but a sad one:

Since the NFL-AFL merger in 1970, the Steelers never had finished last in the NFL in rushing before the 2020 season. The previous worst was in 2003 and 2018 when they finished 31st both years.

Shows how our mentality has changed. Soft and finesse.

hawaiiansteel
01-22-2021, 04:50 PM
looks like we're bargain basement hunting:

Free Agent T Aviante Collins Visiting With Steelers This Week

By Dave Bryan
Posted on January 21, 2021

The Pittsburgh Steelers were a very busy team on Thursday as not only did they sign four players to Reserve/Future contracts, but they also have another player listed as visitor on the NFL’s official transaction sheet.

According to the NFL transaction sheet on Thursday, free agent tackle Aviante Collins, a TCU product, is visiting with the team.

After going undrafted in the 2017 NFL Draft, Collins signed with the Minnesota Vikings as a free agent that May. He made the team and played in three games in a reserve role his rookie season.

Collins missed all the 2018 season after sustaining an elbow injury in practice in early September that year. He spent his second NFL season on the Vikings Reserve/Injured list.

Just ahead of the 2019 season, Collins was waived by the Vikings and was quickly signed to their practice squad. He was promoted to the active roster on November 14, 2019 and dressed for two games that season.

He did not make the Vikings 2020 roster and spent most of the season on their practice squad. He was elevated for one game last season, however.

At the 2017 NFL scouting combine, Collins measured in at 6041, 295-pounds with 33 3/8-inch arms and 9 3/8-inch hands. He ran his 40-yard dash in Indianapolis in 4.81-seconds and did 34 reps on the bench.

It will be interesting to see if the Steelers view Collins more as a tackle or a guard due to him not being a prototypical tackle size.

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/01/free-agent-t-aviante-collins-visiting-with-steelers-this-week/

Steel Maniac
01-22-2021, 05:03 PM
Shows how our mentality has changed. Soft and finesse.

That says it all. Embarrassment to all the great Steeler teams of the 70’s

hawaiiansteel
01-23-2021, 05:37 PM
Daniel Jeremiah 2021 NFL mock draft 1.0

Pick 24
Pittsburgh Steelers

Teven Jenkins · OT
School: Oklahoma State | Year: Senior (RS)

The Steelers' inability to run the football last season was a major problem. They could take a runner here -- I love North Carolina's Javonte Williams and Alabama's Najee Harris -- but I think they will address the offensive line instead. Jenkins plays with an edge (see what he did against Texas) and would provide some youth/athleticism to Pittsburgh's aging group.

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-2021-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-zach-wilson-to-jets

BURGH86STEEL
01-23-2021, 07:20 PM
That says it all. Embarrassment to all the great Steeler teams of the 70’s
Different league, different era. No team will ever live up to the 70's Steelers in the era of free agency. Good thing the Steelers learned to adapt over the years.

Steel Maniac
01-23-2021, 10:41 PM
Not trying to be like thr 70’s Steelers. But last out of 32 teams?? That’s an embarrassment.

Steel Maniac
01-23-2021, 10:44 PM
Bills are about to learn a harse lesson too about not being able to run the ball tomorrow; Chiefs will send them home for being one dimensional ( barring massive turnovers by the chiefs)

BURGH86STEEL
01-23-2021, 11:38 PM
Bills are about to learn a harse lesson too about not being able to run the ball tomorrow; Chiefs will send them home for being one dimensional ( barring massive turnovers by the chiefs)
I am not sure what you are attempting to prove? The Chiefs only ran for 76 yards more than the Bills during the regular season. So what does that mean? Nothing. What frustrating is that people like yourself can watch the game for years and no get it.

What matters is how the teams perform tomorrow. People get so caught up into this or that for pointless reasons. Oh yes the Bills have the talent to upset the Chiefs. All the other ish in the previous games doesn't matter. So let's see what happens.

BURGH86STEEL
01-23-2021, 11:46 PM
Not trying to be like thr 70’s Steelers. But last out of 32 teams?? That’s an embarrassment.No it's not. Sports are entertainment. Organizations are in the business of winning and making money. So.......the Steelers won plenty this year. They fell short of their goal for several reasons. Life goes on pimpin.

Some people love to over exaggerate. Oh well. Seems you are just a hater pimpin. What to do about you? Lost cause? Probably?

Steel Maniac
01-24-2021, 06:25 PM
No it's not. Sports are entertainment. Organizations are in the business of winning and making money. So.......the Steelers won plenty this year. They fell short of their goal for several reasons. Life goes on pimpin.

Some people love to over exaggerate. Oh well. Seems you are just a hater pimpin. What to do about you? Lost cause? Probably?

You are over exaggerating and belittling Steeler fans. And my comments are just not about “ this year”; a decade has been wasted of a franchise QB and the majority of fans are not just satisfied with a playoff appearance and an embarrassing playoff loss every year for a decade and more.Seems to me your just another ball washer who drinks the kool-aid and is content with mediocrity. I never will be content with mediocrity.

And anyone who isn’t content with mediocrity , you refer to them as a hater.

Steel Maniac
01-24-2021, 06:27 PM
I am not sure what you are attempting to prove? The Chiefs only ran for 76 yards more than the Bills during the regular season. So what does that mean? Nothing. What frustrating is that people like yourself can watch the game for years and no get it.

What matters is how the teams perform tomorrow. People get so caught up into this or that for pointless reasons. Oh yes the Bills have the talent to upset the Chiefs. All the other ish in the previous games doesn't matter. So let's see what happens.

If you knew anything , you’d know the teams that have beaten the chiefs do it by controlling the ball. Bills can’t run the ball . I don’t see them winning when you give Mahomes multiple opportunities.

hawaiiansteel
01-24-2021, 06:56 PM
Seems to me your just another ball washer

comments like this are one of the many reasons you are so disliked by many on this board.

hawaiiansteel
01-25-2021, 10:02 PM
Buy Or Sell: Steelers Should Target Multiple OL Early In 2021 NFL Draft

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/01/buy-or-sell-steelers-should-target-multiple-ol-early-in-2021-nfl-draft/