PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Trending; Better or Worser?

NorthCoast
11-11-2020, 12:39 PM
Eye tests are OK but let's look objectively on whether the Steelers are actually getting offensively better or worse;

Based on success rate here are the ranks for the Steelers overall season and for wks 5 - 8:
(Success= 40% of yds to go on first down, 60% on second down, and 100% on 3rd and 4th down; the argument for success rate is that it is a better measure of consistency since it discounts explosive plays that can skew yardage metrics; Explosive passing = 20yds or greater; explosive rush = 10 yds or greater)

Rank (success rate) Overall Wks 5-8 Rank (rate)

Passing 21st (47%) 18th (48%)
Rushing 24th (48%) 17th (50%)

Explosive:

Passing 24th (7%) 22nd (7%)
Rushing 26th (10%) 29th (6%)

So there is some modest improvement offensively based on success rate, but the Steelers have become somewhat less explosive. As we've all seen, this is especially true for the running game. (My guess is that once the numbers are updated with Dallas data, the rushing rank will take a pretty hard hit.)

btw, the CIN trends:

Passing Rank Overall Wks 5- 8

16th (49%) 11th (51%)

Rushing

12th (52%) 26th (47%)

Took at look at CIN explosive ranks and their passing game has made some big gains, but explosive rushing is bottom of the barrel.

There are some other interesting things on CIN I'll share later (one in particular doesn't bode well for the Steelers).

whisper
11-11-2020, 01:16 PM
Once again, the team that is "all about running the ball" can't do it.

The 8-0, undefeated Steelers are near dead last in rushing yards. They have rushed for 872 yds. OK? Who is worse? The likes of.......

https://www.nfl.com/stats/team-stats/offense/rushing/2020/reg/all

Texans - 701
Jags 791.
Jets - 890.
Lions - 809.

Yes, those would be among the very worst teams in the NFL. Who rushes the ball better? Well, that's a long list.

Browns - 1200.
Cards - 1303.
GB - 1013.
Ravens - 1361.
MN - 1233.

Our 4 ypc is lower than all but 8 teams.

Oh wait, we're 8-0, who cares? Well, if you aspire a 7th ring, you should. It is increasingly looking like we are built on a house of cards. You got to rush the ball better than that to advance deep in the playoffs, with only a few exceptions.

I've been screaming for years that they overvalue Conner because, my gosh, he's from W PA and went to Pitt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!! I hoped the less-than-high-priority draft picks of Snell and McFarland would do the trick. But it's becoming increasingly-obvious that we lack the horses to really get it done. Is there room to blame on the OL and play-calling? Possibly. Is it situational football causing our weak rushing? Somewhat, as we are often behind. But if we had a more effective rush, would we be behind so much? Think about it.

If we don't fix our rushing game, we won't be hoisting that Lombardi in Feb. That's the truth.

Passing game? We have no deep threat at this point. But I've ranted enough at this point.

Northern_Blitz
11-11-2020, 02:37 PM
I think we've been successful spreading things out and having Ben find the open man.

I would like it if we were more successful in other sets as well.

hawaiiansteel
11-11-2020, 02:44 PM
Once again, the team that is "all about running the ball" can't do it.

If we don't fix our rushing game, we won't be hoisting that Lombardi in Feb. That's the truth.

two weeks ago against the Ravens we rushed 16 times for 48 yds (3.0 avg)

last week we rushed 18 times for 46 yds (2.6 avg) against Dallas' poor run defense and couldn't get one yard at a crucial point in the game.

we definitely have to improve in this area or you're right, we won't go deep in the playoffs.

BURGH86STEEL
11-11-2020, 04:08 PM
I don't expect the Steelers run game to improve unless the Oline blocks better. The offense is designed around Ben. Ben holds a substantial amount of power in the Steelers offensive philosophy. It is what it is. We are going to ride or die with how Ben performs.

Iron City Inc.
11-11-2020, 04:55 PM
Here is how I look at or offense:
Ben's qbr is in the 130's when we don't huddle up.
Ben's qbr is only in the mid 90 when we do.
Ben's ability to get us into favorable plays ( ie: 5-6 in the box we run, 7 or more we put it up.
O line 's ability is the key. Give Ben 3.0 we're vg. Get a bow in the run game n stay away from penalties we should score high 20's n that should be enough to win with our D.
To me it doesn't matter if we run it 40 times or 4 times it only matters how productive we are. Dallas stacked the box a bunch n we had a hard time getting the ground game going . So be it. No reason to stick a square peg in round hole adjust n move the ball. We have wr's who can win 1 on 1's so if that's what's needed spread them out n toss it 50x if that's what the defense is giving us. We are fortunate we have 4 wr's who can separate and most teams do not have 4 solid corners.
Ebron n Vance have played ok but have not run blocked even average imho. Here is an area where in the 2nd half we'll need to get some better production out of them in the run game. Hawkins has been in for extra blocking on occasion but that tips our hand to much imho. A definite area that could use improvement.
Overall Ben has been $$$ and that makes up for some areas of so so play. No reason to believe Claypool won't continue to develop. He could be counted on even more in the 2nd half of the season as he gains experience since he is doing well without the reps he would have gotten in a training camp.
Go up tempo n call the plays at the los and our O should be just fine.

NorthCoast
11-11-2020, 05:43 PM
Here is how I look at or offense:
Ben's qbr is in the 130's when we don't huddle up.
Ben's qbr is only in the mid 90 when we do.
Ben's ability to get us into favorable plays ( ie: 5-6 in the box we run, 7 or more we put it up.
O line 's ability is the key. Give Ben 3.0 we're vg. Get a bow in the run game n stay away from penalties we should score high 20's n that should be enough to win with our D.
To me it doesn't matter if we run it 40 times or 4 times it only matters how productive we are. Dallas stacked the box a bunch n we had a hard time getting the ground game going . So be it. No reason to stick a square peg in round hole adjust n move the ball. We have wr's who can win 1 on 1's so if that's what's needed spread them out n toss it 50x if that's what the defense is giving us. We are fortunate we have 4 wr's who can separate and most teams do not have 4 solid corners.
Ebron n Vance have played ok but have not run blocked even average imho. Here is an area where in the 2nd half we'll need to get some better production out of them in the run game. Hawkins has been in for extra blocking on occasion but that tips our hand to much imho. A definite area that could use improvement.
Overall Ben has been $$$ and that makes up for some areas of so so play. No reason to believe Claypool won't continue to develop. He could be counted on even more in the 2nd half of the season as he gains experience since he is doing well without the reps he would have gotten in a training camp.
Go up tempo n call the plays at the los and our O should be just fine.So are you saying don't fix what ain't broken? I don't recall a SB winner that has been lopsided offensively. The Steelers needed to figure out what ails the run game. The stats back up what we are seeing; they are below average in the 1st and 3rd quarters in rushing. They modestly improve in the 2nd and 4th. The 2nd quarter also happens to be the highest pass/run ratio. Offensively passing is setting up the run and they need to continue that theme in the rest of the game. Completely abandoning the run will not be successful in the playoffs and maybe even later in season as the weather turns bad.

whisper
11-11-2020, 05:52 PM
I don't expect the Steelers run game to improve unless the Oline blocks better. The offense is designed around Ben. Ben holds a substantial amount of power in the Steelers offensive philosophy. It is what it is. We are going to ride or die with how Ben performs.

That's been true almost all of Ben's career, but damn it, a decent run attact would me the O so much better, all around. If you can't run, the LBs and safeties muck up the passing game. Safeties can double WRs going deep. (We've seen this over and over this season, and partly explains why we have no deep game. How many times have you seen Ben throw deep but there is double coverage out there? A lot.) LBs can drop back (or are already back) and take away the crossing routes and slants.

It is a problem. Can you imagine if we had a horse like Henry back there, ready to abuse a D? It would open up everything. Heck, OK, even if not a Henri, how about a Cook, a Chubb etc?

hawaiiansteel
11-11-2020, 06:24 PM
Why the Steelers Perfect Record Doesn’t Mean They’re Super Bowl Bound

https://www.actionnetwork.com/nfl/steelers-record-super-bowl-odds-offense-2020

BURGH86STEEL
11-11-2020, 06:40 PM
That's been true almost all of Ben's career, but damn it, a decent run attact would me the O so much better, all around. If you can't run, the LBs and safeties muck up the passing game. Safeties can double WRs going deep. (We've seen this over and over this season, and partly explains why we have no deep game. How many times have you seen Ben throw deep but there is double coverage out there? A lot.) LBs can drop back (or are already back) and take away the crossing routes and slants.

It is a problem. Can you imagine if we had a horse like Henry back there, ready to abuse a D? It would open up everything. Heck, OK, even if not a Henri, how about a Cook, a Chubb etc?
I think it's kind of like the issue with Marino and one reason why he didn't win any championships. The Phins were designed so heavily around Marino on offense that when he didn't play well they were f***.

The Steelers do have a quality defense that can rush the passer, create turnovers, keep games close, and make plays.

At this point it's probably to late to have wholesale offensive changes. Teams cannot even practice properly and have proper meetings consistently with the COVID quarantine issues at times. The Oline doesn't appear to be a unit that's geared towards blowing people off the ball consistently. They seem to be more geared towards pass blocking to protect Ben.

Steel Maniac
11-11-2020, 09:52 PM
I think it's kind of like the issue with Marino and one reason why he didn't win any championships. The Phins were designed so heavily around Marino on offense that when he didn't play well they were f***.

The Steelers do have a quality defense that can rush the passer, create turnovers, keep games close, and make plays.

At this point it's probably to late to have wholesale offensive changes. Teams cannot even practice properly and have proper meetings consistently with the COVID quarantine issues at times. The Oline doesn't appear to be a unit that's geared towards blowing people off the ball consistently. They seem to be more geared towards pass blocking to protect Ben.

unfortunately , you may be right.

NorthCoast
11-12-2020, 08:12 AM

At this point it's probably to late to have wholesale offensive changes. Teams cannot even practice properly and have proper meetings consistently with the COVID quarantine issues at times. The Oline doesn't appear to be a unit that's geared towards blowing people off the ball consistently. They seem to be more geared towards pass blocking to protect Ben.You could say the same thing about BAL as well. LJ goes down, how is that offense going to operate? We know rushing is about imposing your will on the other team and the Steelers inability to do this will be exposed in the playoffs I fear.

Oviedo
11-12-2020, 08:24 AM

Isn't that how it is with any QB? Brady stunk up the joint gainst the Saints and the Bucs got blown out. Wilson had a bad game and lost to the Bills. I think it is just how the position is now. I can't think of any team that wants or has a game manager QB who throws the ball 15 times a game while they run 40. Likely because other teams throwing the ball would make you play catch up to stay close with the score.

NorthCoast
11-12-2020, 08:58 AM
Isn't that how it is with any QB? Brady stunk up the joint gainst the Saints and the Bucs got blown out. Wilson had a bad game and lost to the Bills. I think it is just how the position is now. I can't think of any team that wants or has a game manager QB who throws the ball 15 times a game while they run 40. Likely because other teams throwing the ball would make you play catch up to stay close with the score.That's a fair point, especially in this season where refs are looking away on holding by the OL.

feltdizz
11-12-2020, 09:11 AM
We all know if Ben has a bad game in the playoffs we are more than likely screwed unless the defense bails us out.

That’s how it goes for most teams in today’s NFL.

Of course if it happens to us somehow it will be Tomlin’s fault.. ;)

Oviedo
11-12-2020, 09:18 AM
We all know if Ben has a bad game in the playoffs we are more than likely screwed unless the defense bails us out.

Of course if it happens to us somehow it will be Tomlin’s fault.. ;)

Always Tomlin's fault...he fumbles, throws interceptions, misses tackles, misses blocks, etc.

However, if we win its the players being great in spite of him

flippy
11-12-2020, 09:46 AM
As good as our record, it feels like we give up a lot more explosive plays than we generate ourselves.

I think our formula for success has to be that our D game planning needs to be good enough to keep the games close in the playoffs and Ben has to have 1 or 2 good enough series to overcome our O's short comings and bail us out.

And we need a little luck.

Northern_Blitz
11-12-2020, 10:45 AM

I think this is bang on.

I think you need to have some flexibility in the NFL to win.

Good teams in the playoffs should be able to take away your best option.

hawaiiansteel
11-12-2020, 12:37 PM
Always Tomlin's fault...he fumbles, throws interceptions, misses tackles, misses blocks, etc.

However, if we win its the players being great in spite of him

that's because they are Cowher's players ;)

NorthCoast
11-12-2020, 12:38 PM

Of course if it happens to us somehow it will be Tomlin’s fault.. ;)Any player can have a bad day, but a coach can as well. Put in the wrong scheme (like last Sunday's defense) and it can completely change how the game plays out.

whisper
11-14-2020, 07:32 PM
that's because they are Cowher's players ;)

No, that was only when they won the Super Bowl: Polamalu, Ike, Ben, Hines, Heath, etc.

hawaiiansteel
11-14-2020, 09:23 PM
No, that was only when they won the Super Bowl: Polamalu, Ike, Ben, Hines, Heath, etc.

you mean the team that was 8-8 when Tomlin inherited them?

Buzz
11-15-2020, 09:13 PM
Ben looks better when he can't meet with the team for a week

j/k

Steel Maniac
11-15-2020, 09:35 PM
j/k

Hahaha. Hopefully he’ll be just as productive against the jags next week.

hawaiiansteel
11-15-2020, 09:45 PM

Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger admits the week off really helped his arm

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2020/11/15/steelers-bengals-nfl-week-10-ben-roethlsiberger-elbow/

Buzz
11-16-2020, 01:11 AM

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2020/11/15/steelers-bengals-nfl-week-10-ben-roethlsiberger-elbow/

Ben might not need the reps w his young receivers as much as they do with him

Steel Maniac
11-16-2020, 02:45 AM
Ben might not need the reps w his young receivers as much as they do with him

as soon as he takes time off , a lot of posters complain about him not practicing. Just saying.....

Northern_Blitz
11-16-2020, 06:27 AM
Passing offense: Trending better!
Running offense: Trending worser (?)

Buzz
11-16-2020, 09:40 AM
Passing offense: Trending better!
Running offense: Trending worser (?)

Exactly. When we get both trending better, watch out!

NorthCoast
11-16-2020, 01:48 PM
Ben might not need the reps w his young receivers as much as they do with himShall I pull out the Iverson clip?

hawaiiansteel
11-16-2020, 01:51 PM
Shall I pull out the Iverson clip?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9ZQhyOZCNE

Northern_Blitz
11-16-2020, 03:02 PM
As good as our record, it feels like we give up a lot more explosive plays than we generate ourselves.

I think our formula for success has to be that our D game planning needs to be good enough to keep the games close in the playoffs and Ben has to have 1 or 2 good enough series to overcome our O's short comings and bail us out.

And we need a little luck.

I think the explosive plays are there for us.

We just need a bit more accuracy with the deep ball.

Saw some of that this weekend with a beauty of a deep ball to DJ.

NorthCoast
11-16-2020, 03:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9ZQhyOZCNEThanks hawaiian... all time classic... (starting at 8 min).

Steel Maniac
11-16-2020, 03:45 PM

Did you see the pass interference on Claypool? The more I look at this kid the more he looks like the next great, physically dominant WR in the NFL along with Metcalf.

skyhawk
11-16-2020, 03:54 PM

Ben is seriously throwing with more velocity than ever. Y'all notice? Couple times receivers were just not ready for the zip on the ball. This is THE best news of the season!

Northern_Blitz
11-16-2020, 04:09 PM
Did you see the pass interference on Claypool? The more I look at this kid the more he looks like the next great, physically dominant WR in the NFL along with Metcalf.

I agree that Claypool looks special so far.

Northern_Blitz
11-16-2020, 04:36 PM
Ben is seriously throwing with more velocity than ever. Y'all notice? Couple times receivers were just not ready for the zip on the ball. This is THE best news of the season!

I also love one if the passes to Ebron (maybe the one he got a bit hurt on).

Looked like it was timed perfectly, great placement and zip.

It's lots of fun to watch this team (when they aren't giving me a heart attack)

NorthCoast
11-16-2020, 04:43 PM
This offense..... smh... exasperating watching the run game go nowhere each weekend. But is all really lost if they can't get it together?

Someone asked the question on whether a lopsided offense has ever won the SB? Here's your answer (and reason for hope):

Since 1980, there have been nine teams that finished the season ranked 10th or worse on offense. Of those nine teams, four had lopsided offenses (poor running game) but came out SB winners:

2002 Bucs - ranked 27th in rush yds; 28th in rush yds/att ; 15th in passing yds
2003 Patriots - 27th rush yds; 30th rush yds/att ; 9th in passing yds
2008 Steelers - 23rd rush yds; 29th rush yds/att ; 17th in passing yds
2010 Packers - 24th rush yds; 25th rush yds/att ; 5th in passing yds

The 2020 Steelers are currently sitting at 24th and 27th rushing, 18th in passing yds respectively.

LOOK AT THAT!!! THE STEELERS HAVE MANAGE TO RECREATE THE 2008 SUPERBOWL TEAM!!!

ARE YOU READY TO RIDE?!?

:tt2:tt2

whisper
11-16-2020, 05:05 PM

It seems they just keep missing on deep ones to CC. And some have had blatant PI that isn't called. Dude had his arms completely around his waist and no call. I know I am stating the obvious, but we need SOMEWHAT of an improvement running the ball and need to hit just a few deep passes a game and we should be alright.

Steel Maniac
11-16-2020, 05:09 PM
This offense..... smh... exasperating watching the run game go nowhere each weekend. But is all really lost if they can't get it together?

Someone asked the question on whether a lopsided offense has ever won the SB? Here's your answer (and reason for hope):

Since 1980, there have been nine teams that finished the season ranked 10th or worse on offense. Of those nine teams, four had lopsided offenses (poor running game) but came out SB winners:

The 2020 Steelers are currently sitting at 24th and 27th rushing, 18th in passing yds respectively.

ARE YOU READY TO RIDE?!?

I like it! I hope your right. :tt2

Steel Maniac
11-17-2020, 02:14 PM
On Twitter, (Aditi Kinkhabwala)

They are saying that Ben has asked Tomlin to not practice this week like he did last week. The correlation is that Ben didn't practice last week and had the best passing day of the season so Ben wants to repeat that same process from last week.

hawaiiansteel
11-17-2020, 02:19 PM
On Twitter,

They are saying that Ben has asked Tomlin to not practice this week like he did last week. The correlation is that Ben didn't practice last week and had the best passing day of the season so Ben wants to repeat that same process from last week.

Ben was just joking...

NorthCoast
11-17-2020, 04:33 PM

They are saying that Ben has asked Tomlin to not practice this week like he did last week. The correlation is that Ben didn't practice last week and had the best passing day of the season so Ben wants to repeat that same process from last week.It was said TIC

Steel Maniac
11-17-2020, 04:38 PM
It was said TIC

Oh, well Ben had to try. :)

Northern_Blitz
11-17-2020, 05:56 PM
It seems they just keep missing on deep ones to CC. And some have had blatant PI that isn't called. Dude had his arms completely around his waist and no call. I know I am stating the obvious, but we need SOMEWHAT of an improvement running the ball and need to hit just a few deep passes a game and we should be alright.

I agree with you.

Just a couple of things a little bit better.

And honestly, with running we just need to get back to where we were through the first 4 games or so. Not sure what happened.

fordfixer
11-17-2020, 11:27 PM

Tomlin said that was a very short conversation. And he told Ben that he would see him at practice.

Steel Maniac
11-18-2020, 03:03 AM
Tomlin said that was a very short conversation. And he told Ben that he would see him at practice.

Hahahahaha. I applaud him for trying.

Captain Lemming
11-18-2020, 08:47 AM
Hahahahaha. I applaud him for trying.

Ben Iverson?

NJ-STEELER
11-18-2020, 10:07 PM

that was nice to see. and he probably needed to zip it to get it through the wind properly

NJ-STEELER
11-18-2020, 10:10 PM

ARE YOU READY TO RIDE?!?

exactly. the league relies more and more on the pass yet you'll have fans yearning for rocky and franco to line up in the backfield and Run the ball "Dahn ther troats" Yoi !!!!!!

Steel Maniac
11-20-2020, 12:14 PM
exactly. the league relies more and more on the pass yet you'll have fans yearning for rocky and franco to line up in the backfield and Run the ball "Dahn ther troats" Yoi !!!!!!

That's a little harsh!!! Hahaha

hawaiiansteel
11-20-2020, 07:44 PM
as the weather continues to worsen, I think it becomes more and more important to be able to run the ball effectively.

NJ-STEELER
11-21-2020, 05:59 PM
jordan howard was recently released but noticed the eagles picked him up on the practice squad.

are the rules different this year in regard to poaching players off the practice squad?

NorthCoast
11-21-2020, 06:26 PM
Hodge also said that the playoffs have been unkind to lopsided teams. It's one thing to say 'we'll run when we have to' and a whole other doing it when you haven't.

hawaiiansteel
11-21-2020, 06:48 PM
Hoge also said that the playoffs have been unkind to lopsided teams. It's one thing to say 'we'll run when we have to' and a whole other doing it when you haven't.

agree with that 100%