PDA

View Full Version : You Be the ST Coach

Buzz
11-08-2020, 11:36 PM
Giving up big returns and allowing blocks/big-time pressures on XP/FG attempts.

What do you do to remedy these problems?

Eich
11-08-2020, 11:39 PM
Buy better bubblegum

hawaiiansteel
11-09-2020, 02:16 AM
Mark Kaboly
@MarkKaboly

Mike Tomlin said that he wasn't comfortable with his special teams unit and especially the field goal unit (blocking) is why they went for it on 4th down late in the game

Nov 8, 2020

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly/status/1325604366737313792?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1325604366737313792%7Ctwgr% 5Eshare_3&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.steelersunivers e.com%2Fforums%2Fshowthread.php%2F32359-Mike-Tomlin-Reveals-Why-Steelers-Went-For-It-On-4th-Down

whisper
11-09-2020, 02:25 AM
[QUOTE=hawaiiansteel;807030]Mark Kaboly
@MarkKaboly

Mike Tomlin said that he wasn't comfortable with his special teams unit and especially the field goal unit (blocking) is why they went for it on 4th down late in the game

I call BS. Really, you're so scared of a block you don't try a FG there? That damn near costed them the game.

BURGH86STEEL
11-09-2020, 02:42 AM
To be honest I don't know what changes occurred, if any, on the special team's units. The special teams has been solid all year for the most part. Chalk it up to a bad game.

The Cowboys fooled them on one play. Have to give the Cowboys some credit.

hawaiiansteel
11-09-2020, 02:44 AM
I call BS. Really, you're so scared of a block you don't try a FG there? That damn near costed them the game.

Mark Madden: Steelers coach Mike Tomlin lived in his fears in final moments against Cowboys

https://triblive.com/sports/mark-madden-steelers-coach-mike-tomlin-lived-in-his-fears-in-final-moments-against-cowboys/

steeler_george
11-09-2020, 09:15 AM
I mentioned this in my post of thoughts post game...

Have players been removed from the coverage team due to more snaps on D ( Spielle, Sutton, Layne) and from O ( Claypool, Edmunds release, Watt being out )

steeler_george
11-09-2020, 09:21 AM
@MarkKaboly

That is what I thought at the time, now I know I was wrong.

Even if we made it, they could of tied the game with a TD and 2 point conversion. If we would have gotten that 1 yard we would have sealed the deal right there.

If you ask me 1 yard should be just as easy as kicking a FG. It was just a bad O play, or run by Conner, we should have powered willed it in, no FB on roster, and no QB sneak in the playbook!

Eich
11-09-2020, 09:49 AM
We're not imposing our will at the line. On 4th and 1, we need something creative. I was hoping for something like a Claypool end-around. I'd settle for a QB sneak. Running directly into the teeth of the defense isn't working for us.

Disco1981
11-09-2020, 10:00 AM
@MarkKaboly

Will try a 59 yard FG, But but a chip shot to go up 8... Typical Tomlin dumb Ass stuff that he continues to do

papillon
11-09-2020, 10:12 AM
On this day, going for the 1st down was a good call. A missed XP, a blocked XP and near block on a FG, not to mention other special teams screw ups, why put the game in their hands? And, particularly because the 3 points didn't ice the game. Plus if he makes the FG and Boswell doesn't get the KO out of the end zone the Cowboys could bet a big return.

The defense should be able to keep an offense being run by the 4th team QB out of the end zone with less than a minute and the Cowboys with no timeouts. The fact that the defense gave up a chunk play on 1st down to the sideline was horrible. Defend the sideline, make them hurry up, clock it, etc. but don't give up 30 plus yards and oob. The drive started on the 19 yard line, the defense should be able to ice the game from there.

The correct decision based on the events of the game.

Pappy

BURGH86STEEL
11-09-2020, 10:19 AM
[QUOTE=whisper;807031]

Will try a 59 yard FG, But but a chip shot to go up 8... Typical Tomlin dumb Ass stuff that he continues to do
Often times there isn't a right or wrong decision. People that don't consider or understand the other options will simply view it as a dumb decision. Tomlin played the %s. He attempted to close out the game on 4-1. It seems he had more faith in his defense than special teams based on the way the game played out.

I would had attempted the FG. Tomlin had reasons why he didn't attempt the FG. Playing the %s played out in the Steelers favor this time.

flippy
11-09-2020, 10:54 AM
Giving up big returns and allowing blocks/big-time pressures on XP/FG attempts.

What do you do to remedy these problems?

Chew bigger wads of gum and yell louder.

NJ-STEELER
11-09-2020, 06:51 PM
On this day, going for the 1st down was a good call. A missed XP, a blocked XP and near block on a FG, not to mention other special teams screw ups, why put the game in their hands? And, particularly because the 3 points didn't ice the game. Plus if he makes the FG and Boswell doesn't get the KO out of the end zone the Cowboys could bet a big return.

The defense should be able to keep an offense being run by the 4th team QB out of the end zone with less than a minute and the Cowboys with no timeouts. The fact that the defense gave up a chunk play on 1st down to the sideline was horrible. Defend the sideline, make them hurry up, clock it, etc. but don't give up 30 plus yards and oob. The drive started on the 19 yard line, the defense should be able to ice the game from there.

The correct decision based on the events of the game.

Pappy

bottom line, the FG ensures you don't lose in regulation. they were successful on more FG/XP tries then they weren't in the game, including a career long for boz. if anything, that guy getting close to blocking the kick should awaken that part of the OL and make sure it doesn't happen again

there was a play on the last drive the dallas QB overthrow a receiver he had one on one. about 20 yards down the middle of the field . the dallas WR had a step on our defender on a play I believe we sent a blitz. if he catches that, he's probably still running with not a lot of defenders back there to tackle him and dallas takes a late lead
you would all be singing a different tune if that pass was complete, and it didn't miss by much