PDA

View Full Version : You Be the OC

Buzz
11-08-2020, 10:32 PM
46 yards rushing vs. the 32nd-ranked run defense

What do you do to try to improve the running attack?

Steel Maniac
11-08-2020, 10:39 PM
All I know is that our run game has to improve to get to where we want to go.
And I think we do need a runningback that is more dynamic from the draft in the near future.

Ghost
11-08-2020, 11:24 PM
If the first couple of series are scripted, throw out the script. Total dog sh!t play calling.

Stop with the 1-2 yard pass plays that NEVER go anywhere. So infuriating.

Why in he hell can this team not get 1 yard when it needs it. Goes back multiple seasons. Design a damn play that gets 1 yard and stop handing off 5 yards in the backfield.

NorthCoast
11-09-2020, 12:24 AM
No play action seen for weeks. Very little presnap motion this game even though its been successful before.
Plan seems to be spread em out, and let QB figure out a play.
Backyard ball is going to work less and less against better teams.

Starlifter
11-09-2020, 12:30 AM
with Watt out and so many weapons to catch the ball - I think the Steelers are a little too enamored with formations and sets that don't allow us to establish a power running game. Instead of using the run to set up the pass, they're using the pass to set up the run. Now since they've been scoring (before today) 25 points or more each game this year - it's hard to argue with success. But I think a game plan that has a few series designed to bring in some more beef, power I formations and making a commitment to running it down someones throat will go a long way towards keeping defenses 'honest' in the future while giving the team confidence they can do it if necessary.

BURGH86STEEL
11-09-2020, 04:10 AM
The Steelers interior line isn't a power run blocking unit. Dotson might be the Steelers best power blocking Olineman. Dotson should probably be playing at LG over Fieler. Unless there is an injury I don't see Dotson becoming a starter again.

steeler_george
11-09-2020, 09:07 AM
with Watt out and so many weapons to catch the ball - I think the Steelers are a little too enamored with formations and sets that don't allow us to establish a power running game. Instead of using the run to set up the pass, they're using the pass to set up the run. Now since they've been scoring (before today) 25 points or more each game this year - it's hard to argue with success. But I think a game plan that has a few series designed to bring in some more beef, power I formations and making a commitment to running it down someones throat will go a long way towards keeping defenses 'honest' in the future while giving the team confidence they can do it if necessary.

This is the best comment-post I have read in a while... been thinking the same thing!

NorthCoast
11-09-2020, 09:08 AM
The Steelers interior line isn't a power run blocking unit. Dotson might be the Steelers best power blocking Olineman. Dotson should probably be playing at LG over Fieler. Unless there is an injury I don't see Dotson becoming a starter again.Yes, and which direction did they try to run on 4th and 1?! The weak left side... (I know DD and McD pulled in that direction but that was a fail). For whatever reason, AV also struggled in this game.

steeler_george
11-09-2020, 09:10 AM
The Steelers interior line isn't a power run blocking unit. Dotson might be the Steelers best power blocking Olineman. Dotson should probably be playing at LG over Fieler. Unless there is an injury I don't see Dotson becoming a starter again.

Funny I just read an article on Dksports with Dejan saying the exact same thing...

IMHO, I would be open to it, but it won't happen ,Chucks replaces Villenova, Feiler replaces Chucks, and Dotson is back at G.

BURGH86STEEL
11-09-2020, 09:18 AM
Yes, and which direction did they try to run on 4th and 1?! The weak left side... (I know DD and McD pulled in that direction but that was a fail). For whatever reason, AV also struggled in this game.
The Steelers seem to run the ball just enough to keep teams honest. Even if the run game isn't consistently effective. They really don't seem to get much push up front from the Oline. I am sure it bothers the coaches, Oline, and RBs that they can't get 3-1 and 4-1 running the ball.

feltdizz
11-09-2020, 09:33 AM
Yes, and which direction did they try to run on 4th and 1?! The weak left side... (I know DD and McD pulled in that direction but that was a fail). For whatever reason, AV also struggled in this game.

AV has been struggling all season. Dude is a turnstyle now.

NorthCoast
11-09-2020, 10:14 AM
It could be just that the win streak is starting to wear on guys. Every opponent is looking to knock them off now and maybe they are bringing a little extra. OL is looking tired; they will need to draft a few more next year. Pouncey is losing the battle inside and Feiler really seems like a bad fit at LG. AV...big heart but speed rushers are always a problem for him. Upgrades needed in the near future.

Oviedo
11-09-2020, 10:36 AM
AV has been struggling all season. Dude is a turnstyle now.

He's given up 2 sacks all season long and only had one penalty called on him. Hardly a turnstile

flippy
11-09-2020, 10:53 AM
No huddle 100% of snaps.

Ebron and Juju are tough matchups in the middle of the field. DJ, CC, and JW are threats on the outside. And James runs well with the field spread open and in the shotgun.

Don’t run heavy without a FB and try to be cute in ways you are not.

NorthCoast
11-09-2020, 12:24 PM
He's given up 2 sacks all season long and only had one penalty called on him. Hardly a turnstilethey aren't calling holding on anyone anymore

Steel Maniac
11-09-2020, 12:28 PM
No huddle 100% of snaps.

Ebron and Juju are tough matchups in the middle of the field. DJ, CC, and JW are threats on the outside. And James runs well with the field spread open and in the shotgun.

Don’t run heavy without a FB and try to be cute in ways you are not.

Our run game is a real concern.

NorthCoast
11-09-2020, 12:32 PM
Our run game is a real concern.Teams are making the Steelers one-dimensional and don't seem to have a hard time doing it. That won't win playoff games. I am starting to wonder if Roethlisberger is the genius behind the passing game, then who is the genius for running play design? It sure doesn't seem like Fichtner is doing any magic.

flippy
11-09-2020, 12:38 PM
Our run game is a real concern.

That's why I'd run Conner out of 3 and 4 WR sets. If you're not going to give him a FB, spread everything out so he's not running into a clogged up LOS.

NorthCoast
11-09-2020, 12:45 PM
That's why I'd run Conner out of 3 and 4 WR sets. If you're not going to give him a FB, spread everything out so he's not running into a clogged up LOS.Agreed. They were running the Bear defense squeezing everything tight in the middle and the Steelers kept trying to run between the tackles.

It is worrisome that the offense doesn't look like it is making huge progress on playing a complete game yet. Would like to see them get incrementally better each week but it looks to be pretty much the same over the last month.

Steel Maniac
11-09-2020, 01:12 PM
Agreed. They were running the Bear defense squeezing everything tight in the middle and the Steelers kept trying to run between the tackles.

It is worrisome that the offense doesn't look like it is making huge progress on playing a complete game yet. Would like to see them get incrementally better each week but it looks to be pretty much the same over the last month.

That's exactly what they were doing!

Steel Maniac
11-09-2020, 01:12 PM
Teams are making the Steelers one-dimensional and don't seem to have a hard time doing it. That won't win playoff games. I am starting to wonder if Roethlisberger is the genius behind the passing game, then who is the genius for running play design? It sure doesn't seem like Fichtner is doing any magic.

Boom.............

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-09-2020, 05:30 PM
When Ben is in the shotgun (or pistol) he gets the ball and hands it to a RB who is standing still. Conner is not a guy who has that quick burst on demand. Maybe with Baby Booger back there, but I don't want Conner or Snell getting the ball while standing still.

NJ-STEELER
11-09-2020, 06:08 PM
The Steelers interior line isn't a power run blocking unit..

i think you can say that about the whole unit. more finesse then road grader types

Buzz
11-09-2020, 10:15 PM
When Ben is in the shotgun (or pistol) he gets the ball and hands it to a RB who is standing still. Conner is not a guy who has that quick burst on demand. Maybe with Baby Booger back there, but I don't want Conner or Snell getting the ball while standing still.

Agreed. Drives me crazy.

Steel Maniac
11-10-2020, 12:41 AM
OC can’t seem to see that thou.

hawaiiansteel
11-10-2020, 12:57 AM
OC can’t seem to see that thou.

maybe you can put something about our OC in your sig too.

NorthCoast
11-10-2020, 08:56 AM
The Steelers interior line isn't a power run blocking unit. Dotson might be the Steelers best power blocking Olineman. Dotson should probably be playing at LG over Fieler. .

^^^100%^^^

We all see it, but I don't think it's Tomlin's style to bench a guy unless there is evident failure. Or he's been biased after watching Foster underperform there for years and he actually thinks Feiler is playing well.