PDA

View Full Version : You Be the DC

Buzz
11-08-2020, 09:41 PM
Two weeks in a row, we've been gashed by the run. We obviously miss Bush and Alualu, but Bush is gone for the year and Alualu might be out for a few. Besides getting Avery Williamson some opportunities to see what he can do to help, what do you do to try to fix the problem?

flippy
11-08-2020, 09:49 PM
Play more man coverage. Blitz less.

Eddie Spaghetti
11-08-2020, 09:55 PM
need to get hilton back too

I think he is a big piece of this defense in situational ball

NJ-STEELER
11-08-2020, 10:02 PM
just throwing this out there.

we've been "gashed by the run" for 2 weeks but given up 19 points and 24 points. a low enough number our offense can beat. a number in today's game that's fairly low

what if we were that poor against the pass? how much would we be giving up then?

of course I'd like to see it improve, butI hope it's not at the expense of the pass defense, like sticking a safety more into the box

hawaiiansteel
11-08-2020, 10:07 PM
just throwing this out there.

we've been "gashed by the run" for 2 weeks but given up 19 points and 24 points. a low enough number our offense can beat. a number in today's game that's fairly low

what if we were that poor against the pass? how much would we be giving up then?

of course I'd like to see it improve, butI hope it's not at the expense of the pass defense, like sticking a safety more into the box

good point...

NorthCoast
11-08-2020, 10:11 PM
See my post elsewhere, the DL is being outnumbered, creating big lanes. The question is why? Is this intentional or have opponents figured this defense out?

NorthCoast
11-08-2020, 10:44 PM
My fear is we've seen this movie before. Recall how the defense looked after Shazier went down. And they never found a solution after that.

steeler_george
11-09-2020, 09:22 AM
Two weeks in a row, we've been gashed by the run. We obviously miss Bush and Alualu, but Bush is gone for the year and Alualu might be out for a few. Besides getting Avery Williamson some opportunities to see what he can do to help, what do you do to try to fix the problem?

Dude, hae you noticed... Hilton hasn't been playing too!

steeler_george
11-09-2020, 09:23 AM
need to get hilton back too

I think he is a big piece of this defense in situational ball

you beat me to it!

steeler_george
11-09-2020, 09:26 AM
My quick thoughts, the Offense in the first half of games has been real slow. Lots of 3 and outs, thus increase in snaps by the defense.

With other teams fearing our O, they are trying to win the game by ball control (their strengths Raven's run game and Cowboys with Elliot) and them playing turtle ball with the lead.

feltdizz
11-09-2020, 09:51 AM
I’m not too worried about the rushing defense. We played a QB we’ve never seen before and he was actually playing good ball. I think Dallas has their QB for the remainder of the year. Anytime a QB can take off for first downs your rushing D is going to have problems.

I honestly think we underestimated their rushing attack due to a few bad games on film with the red rifle. He sucks.

NorthCoast
11-09-2020, 10:27 AM
Zone defense against the pass is not something the Steelers are good at and it is a little baffling why they wouldn't go man against an unproven QB and force him to make accurate throws. Much easier to find huge holes in the Steelers zone and lob the ball to a big receiver like Cooper.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-09-2020, 05:13 PM
I found the defensive gameplan the last two weeks to be too reactive. Sitting back in zone, not rushing, too passive. Maybe against LJ, but there was no reason to not attack yesterday. Remember, even the worst QB in the NFL got there by being one of the top 100 QBs in the world. The difference between most QBs looking good vs. bad is letting them get comfortable.

hawaiiansteel
11-11-2020, 05:06 PM
Film Room: Keith Butler’s Personnel Problems Return

By Alex Kozora
Posted on November 10, 2020

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/11/film-room-keith-butlers-personnel-problems-return/