PDA

View Full Version : Zeke is NOT the same Zeke as 2016

whisper
11-06-2020, 04:06 PM
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/ElliEz00.htm

Tomlin says the entire focus on D this week is to stop Zeke. I hope he's just blowing smoke because such a game plan is off-target. Why? Because this is not the same Zeke as 2016, when he just trounced us at Heinz Field, displaying power, burst and speed. Who can forget that little screen pass he took to the house, out running our entire defense? He was the difference in that game and in a big way.

But Mikey, this is 2020, not 2016. Zeke is no where near that same player. He averaged 108 yards per game then...now? Try 65. A little drop off, Ay? How about his ypc? Then, 5.1. Now? 3.9. That is huge.

Is it all Zeke's fault? No. They went from having 3 out of 5 OLmen All Pros, and the other two good as well. Now they have 1 remaining Pro Bowler playing out of the 5 and the others? Not that good. The OL went from the very best to below average.

But there is more to it than that. The "eye test" shows you that run plays Zeke used to blast out for 20, 30 or 60 yards now go for 4. He lacks the burst he once had. He is a half step slower and fails to break that last tackle to be off to the races. That rushing attack used to be a nightmare to defend and now? It just isn't.

Of course the D needs to pay attention to the rush, but not as to the degree Tomlin has expressed. If there is ONE potent aspect of their O it is their four very talented WRs: Cooper, Lamb, Gallop and Wilson. If they are going to win, it will be because of those guys. Please, Tomlin, tell me you realize that.

hawaiiansteel
11-06-2020, 04:27 PM
Ezekiel has been limited in practice with a hamstring injury, I think he'll play but he won't be 100% so we might see more of Pollard.

Oviedo
11-06-2020, 05:25 PM
Would love to see the Elliott contract blow up in Jerry's face and Dak walk

whisper
11-06-2020, 07:03 PM
Ezekiel has been limited in practice with a hamstring injury, I think he'll play but he won't be 100% so we might see more of Pollard.

That actually scares me a bit more. Pollard has looked much quicker hitting the hole this year than Zeke. He has more burst.

whisper
11-06-2020, 07:05 PM

Anything is possible at this point. How much will Jerr be willing to pay Dak coming off ACL? They already couldn't agree on a deal. And do you think Zeke will somehow get more explosive than he is now? Tread wears out over time.

feltdizz
11-06-2020, 09:44 PM
The QB isn’t a threat so they are stacking the OL.

Captain Lemming
11-06-2020, 11:58 PM

Somebody said that contract was stupid...yet ANOTHER example of the TRUTH of the folly of giving backs big numbers. :)

whisper
11-07-2020, 02:14 AM
The QB isn’t a threat so they are stacking the OL.

Well, we've made similar QBs look good so.....

Iron City Inc.
11-07-2020, 09:11 AM
Some good observations about Zeke being something less than 100% and Dallas OL being far from that as well. What we'll likely see again this week from us is that jumbo 5 lb set. 3-5-3 look last week installed to keep LJ from running wild. Have to believe we'll work that in here as well as stopping the run will put us in position to do what we do best n that's rush the quarterback.

NorthCoast
11-07-2020, 09:18 AM
Yet another reason why a Steelers fail would be epic.

only possible reason they could lose is they get caught lookin at the Cowgirls instead of the QB;

http://a3.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2015%2F1011%2Fr16092_1296x729_16-9.jpg

whisper
11-07-2020, 12:20 PM
Yet another reason why a Steelers fail would be epic.

only possible reason they could lose is they get caught lookin at the Cowgirls instead of the QB;

http://a3.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2015%2F1011%2Fr16092_1296x729_16-9.jpg

Did they bring cheerleaders back? I know they nixed them from covid fears earlier.
I didn't find anything that said cheerleaders have been allowed back.

hawaiiansteel
11-07-2020, 03:55 PM
Steelers vs Cowboys: Dallas looking at no Ezekiel Elliott this week

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2020/11/07/steelers-cowboys-ezekiel-elliott-inujury-nfl/

whisper
11-07-2020, 06:10 PM
Steelers vs Cowboys: Dallas looking at no Ezekiel Elliott this week

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2020/11/07/steelers-cowboys-ezekiel-elliott-inujury-nfl/

I'm not sure it's significant either way. I still worry more about another back-up, journeyman QB looking like 1985 Marino on us more than their rushing game, with or without Zeke.

NorthCoast
11-08-2020, 09:10 AM
Did they bring cheerleaders back? I know they nixed them from covid fears earlier.
I didn't find anything that said cheerleaders have been allowed back.

Dunno. Not up on the latest cheerleader news

whisper
11-08-2020, 05:10 PM
https://www.nfl.com/news/cowboys-rb-ezekiel-elliott-hamstring-active-vs-steelers

Zeke is active.

Steel Maniac
11-08-2020, 05:16 PM
Well make Zeke wish he was inactive.

feltdizz
11-08-2020, 08:46 PM
Well make Zeke wish he was inactive.

damn, please stop making predictions.

fordfixer
11-08-2020, 09:17 PM
Lol :D ............

NorthCoast
11-08-2020, 09:50 PM
Hmmm... looked pretty good to me.

whisper
11-09-2020, 07:14 PM
Dunno. Not up on the latest cheerleader news

I am. They were there but not on the sidelines/field, but up in the stands. I am sure that really makes a difference as far as CV spread. :rolleyes:

whisper
11-09-2020, 07:16 PM

He looked best I've seen him all season, as far as a burst goes, but he only rushed for 50, the 2016 Zeke would have mashed us up for 120.

feltdizz
11-13-2020, 09:47 AM
He looked best I've seen him all season, as far as a burst goes, but he only rushed for 50, the 2016 Zeke would have mashed us up for 120.

I think he’s playing hurt. He also had a lot of fumbles early this year so I think he is more concerned with ball protection than getting after it.

It’s like Conner after a fumble. Dude doesn’t run with the same energy and all his attention is focused on not fumbling.

Thats how Zeke looks this season after 2 early fumbles in the same game.

whisper
11-13-2020, 11:18 AM
I think he’s playing hurt. He also had a lot of fumbles early this year so I think he is more concerned with ball protection than getting after it.

It’s like Conner after a fumble. Dude doesn’t run with the same energy and all his attention is focused on not fumbling.

Thats how Zeke looks this season after 2 early fumbles in the same game.

That's part of it. But even before the fumbles - and including last season - he just is a step slower and lacks that same burst and ability to break tackles. In his 1st few years, he would not only break a lot of tackles, but he would take them to the house. He's not the same player. He's still good, but no longer great.

feltdizz
11-13-2020, 12:37 PM
That's part of it. But even before the fumbles - and including last season - he just is a step slower and lacks that same burst and ability to break tackles. In his 1st few years, he would not only break a lot of tackles, but he would take them to the house. He's not the same player. He's still good, but no longer great.

That OL isn’t the same either. They have a ton of injuries.