PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger at His Finest

NorthCoast
11-02-2020, 09:39 AM
They put it in his hands in the 2nd half and he delivered;

“I’ve got to give a lot of credit, especially in the second half, to the receivers and tight ends," said Roethlisberger. "I was just telling the line the protections and moving guys around and playing backyard football. I don’t know if we called too many ‘plays’ in the second half when we were in that mode. It was just more, ‘Hey run this, run this, run this’ and to me, that’s just credit to the receivers, Ebron and other guys that just want to make plays. I was able to get the ball out of my hands and get guys the ball in their hands and let them make plays. They made so many plays in the second half. It was awesome.”

I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but there was one play where 3 receivers were lined up on the right, and I think 2 on the left. Roethlisberger was barking out a bunch of adjustments and one of the 3 receivers on the right waved and shrugged his shoulders like he didn't know what to do. At the snap, the receiver just stood there but Roethlisberger knew he was throwing to the left anyway. It was a funny moment.

Eich
11-02-2020, 09:54 AM

I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but there was one play where 3 receivers were lined up on the right, and I think 2 on the left. Roethlisberger was barking out a bunch of adjustments and one of the 3 receivers on the right waved and shrugged his shoulders like he didn't know what to do. At the snap, the receiver just stood there but Roethlisberger knew he was throwing to the left anyway. It was a funny moment.

I noticed it. I think it was Dionte. I'm not sure why he just stood there. He could have just run any route at all. But the play worked anyway.

I thought it was a little odd for Ben to say that they weren't really even calling plays. Just essentially backyard football. Even if that's the case, I'm not sure it's the best thing to announce that. I wonder how Fichtner appreciates the comment?!!

Chucktownsteeler
11-02-2020, 10:39 AM
I like the no-huddle, when used very effective. Also prevents the D from substituting. If you get the right match-ups use it.

Starlifter
11-02-2020, 11:48 AM

are you talking about the CC touchdown? it looked to me like DJ took a step back as if to catch a WR screen, but Ben saw the coverage and went the other direction.

SidSmythe
11-02-2020, 11:50 AM
I noticed it. I think it was Dionte. I'm not sure why he just stood there. He could have just run any route at all. But the play worked anyway.

I thought it was a little odd for Ben to say that they weren't really even calling plays. Just essentially backyard football. Even if that's the case, I'm not sure it's the best thing to announce that. I wonder how Fichtner appreciates the comment?!!

Yep - the play clock was expiring and the top 2 WRs were communicating at the snap. Ben went to the LEFT luckily! LoL

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-02-2020, 01:40 PM
Even if that's the case, I'm not sure it's the best thing to announce that. I wonder how Fichtner appreciates the comment?!!

It was during no-huddle. Ben was the one calling (or not calling) the plays, not Fichtner.

feltdizz
11-02-2020, 01:51 PM

I’m not sure if it’s intentional or not but it’s like Ben always has some passive aggressive answers. I would be furious if I was Fitner.

So let’s say we lose in a week or two. Will Ben admit he made up some plays after a loss?

NorthCoast
11-02-2020, 01:54 PM

I thought it was a little odd for Ben to say that they weren't really even calling plays. Just essentially backyard football. Even if that's the case, I'm not sure it's the best thing to announce that. I wonder how Fichtner appreciates the comment?!!Fichtner's first half gameplan was the reason for the backyard football. He should be appreciating his HOF QB taking things over.

Man am I going to miss these kinds of games when Roethlisberger hangs it up. No one better at it.

NorthCoast
11-02-2020, 01:55 PM
I’m not sure if it’s intentional or not but it’s like Ben always has some passive aggressive answers. I would be furious if I was Fitner.

So let’s say we lose in a week or two. Will Ben admit he made up some plays after a loss?Fichnter better feel butt-hurt because his first half plan stunk.

hawaiiansteel
11-02-2020, 01:58 PM
Man am I going to miss these kinds of games when Roethlisberger hangs it up. No one better at it.

just have to think back to last year to fully appreciate Ben.

steeler_george
11-02-2020, 04:10 PM
Although he was giving props to the skill players, he threw his OC under the bus, saying how it was only way the ball moved.

NorthCoast
11-02-2020, 04:22 PM
Although he was giving props to the skill players, he threw his OC under the bus, saying how it was only way the ball moved.Again, Fichtner's plan failed. He is lucky the QB bailed him out in this one. If he had better ideas, he had an entire half to put something in. QBs audible all the time, overriding the OC.

NorthCoast
11-02-2020, 05:25 PM
And btw, here's what Tomlin had to say on the topic;

"Ben has been doing it a long time. He doesn't do it to be mean-spirited. He is just trying to be transparent and tell the truth. I think any of us that were in that stadium and on that sideline understand that they performed at a higher level than we did. And it doesn't occur in a vacuum. It's not just playing. It's not just coaching. It's a combination of both. 'Together we eat' is a phrase that I often use in regards to the group. That applies to both players and coaches. That's life in this business. That's always the case. It always has been the case and always will be the case. When we perform well, it's because we planned well and guys have executed well. When we don't perform well, it's because we've lacked something in planning and performance."

(This is from a 2017 presser)

NorthCoast
11-02-2020, 05:38 PM
https://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/32251/return-of-backyard-ben-roethlisberger-signals-more-good-things-ahead-for-steelers

feltdizz
11-02-2020, 05:50 PM
Again, Fichtner's plan failed. He is lucky the QB bailed him out in this one. If he had better ideas, he had an entire half to put something in. QBs audible all the time, overriding the OC.

bailed him out? Lmao. Fitner didn’t fumble the ball. That was Claypool. We really didn’t have the ball that much in the first half due to the Ravens offense running it down our throat.

BURGH86STEEL
11-02-2020, 05:54 PM
Fichtner's first half gameplan was the reason for the backyard football. He should be appreciating his HOF QB taking things over.

Ben was part of the game plan in the first half. So it wasn't all on Fitchner. Ben is a historically slow starter. The different OCs over the years attempted to get Ben going different ways.

The offense had execution issues in the first half more than anything else. There was a turnover by Claypool, dropped passes, poor throws, and a penalty or two. The Ravens are a quality defense so they were going to make some plays.

No matter how people want to slice it the offense belongs to Ben for better or worse.

NorthCoast
11-02-2020, 06:05 PM
bailed him out? Lmao. Fitner didn’t fumble the ball. That was Claypool. We really didn’t have the ball that much in the first half due to the Ravens offense running it down our throat.

And when they did have the ball it was meh.
Clearly the Ravens were ready for what the Steelers did. It was Roethlisberger's genius in the 2nd half that saved the game.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-02-2020, 07:40 PM
Part of the second half adjustments was to keep the Ravens D from making subsitutions by going no-huddle. That is on the coaching staff, who understood that would mean that Ben would be calling plays. It is something you can do with 50 year vet HOF QB.

Why don't we give the coaches and QB credit for their adjustments instead of finding perceived slights.

NorthCoast
11-02-2020, 07:52 PM
Part of the second half adjustments was to keep the Ravens D from making subsitutions by going no-huddle. That is on the coaching staff, who understood that would mean that Ben would be calling plays. It is something you can do with 50 year vet HOF QB.

Why don't we give the coaches and QB credit for their adjustments instead of finding perceived slights.

Ok, the coaches were very smart letting Roethlisberger take over playcalling in the second half.

Eddie Spaghetti
11-02-2020, 08:33 PM
tough year for the anti Ben contingent

hawaiiansteel
11-02-2020, 08:54 PM

the anti-Tomlin contingent has been very quiet also.

NorthCoast
11-02-2020, 09:29 PM
btw, it wasn't just the first half the Steelers offense looked anemic. the Steelers offense was on a full 4 quarters without a TD since the last half of the TEN game they had just a FG. That many possessions without a TD says something needed changed.

Captain Lemming
11-03-2020, 12:18 AM

Who does that include?
Dizz is the only one who has something to say about Ben...when he throws picks.

He ain't hiding. He been here giving Ben much credit.

Unlike many Tomlin haters who can't give the dude any credit.

Eddie Spaghetti
11-03-2020, 08:26 AM
ernie is the one I seem to recall

he said masons play last year was comparable to Ben's rookie season when he won 13 games in a row and went to the AFCCG

it's still, hands down, the dumbest thing I've ever read on any message board

feltdizz
11-03-2020, 03:25 PM
ernie is the one I seem to recall

he said masons play last year was comparable to Ben's rookie season when he won 13 games in a row and went to the AFCCG

it's still, hands down, the dumbest thing I've ever read on any message board

That was a serious reach. I want to believe it was strictly stars cause there is no way you watched both QB’s and saw any similarities.

Ben marched us down for game winners and made a name for himself. We won in spite of Mason last year.

hawaiiansteel
11-18-2020, 03:11 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201118/360a5a6481d11c4c6f5081691f220e52.jpg

flippy
11-18-2020, 03:26 PM
I do think Ben’s game is different. His 6.8 YPA is concerning and way lower than most other elite QBs.

Not sure why we’re not connecting downfield, but it’s a gap in his game. It’s leading teams to defend a shorter field and that’s not making anything easier for the O.

I really do think our playoff success this year is going to come down to our D and game planning more than Ben. And we just need a couple clutch plays with out TOs from Ben.

Northern_Blitz
11-18-2020, 03:35 PM
just have to think back to last year to fully appreciate Ben.

Didn't they cancel the season halfway through the 2nd game last year?

Can't seem to remember anything after about 6 quarters in.

Weird.

NorthCoast
11-18-2020, 04:19 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201118/360a5a6481d11c4c6f5081691f220e52.jpgThis is fake...

Roethlisberger doesn't get national media accolades

Steel Maniac
11-18-2020, 04:20 PM
This is fake...

Roethlisberger doesn't get national media accolades

Outstanding. Ben has so many passing weapons. And he's getting the ball out of his hands fast too.

Northern_Blitz
11-19-2020, 07:02 AM
Outstanding. Ben has so many passing weapons. And he's getting the ball out of his hands fast too.

Yep.

If we can keep it up, I don't see how teams can defend it without a very deep secondary (meaning lots of good players, not cushion)

NorthCoast
11-19-2020, 02:27 PM
Yep.

If we can keep it up, I don't see how teams can defend it without a very deep secondary (meaning lots of good players, not cushion)

And yet the talking heads don't even mention him in the MVP discussion.
It's Murray, Mahomes, and Wilson. And Wilson has been terrible the last two weeks. Meanwhile, Roethlisberger if anything has been getting better and better.

...smh

feltdizz
11-19-2020, 03:35 PM
It's Murray, Mahomes, and Wilson. And Wilson has been terrible the last two weeks. Meanwhile, Roethlisberger if anything has been getting better and better.

...smh

Wilsons MVP chatter faded after the last 2 3 or 4 games.

I definitely think Ben should get mentions but I also understand talking heads like flashy splash plays. Ben is playing game manager ball and that’s not rewarded in today’s MVP race.

I also think Ben hasn’t had that game yet. That game where he leads us from a come behind victory. It’s mostly our D making plays and giving Ben short fieldstone throwing 8 yard passes. It’s efficient but they want dazzle and flash these days.

Steel Maniac
11-19-2020, 03:41 PM

...smh

They can try to ignore Ben but he’s becoming the elephant in the room. He’s getting it done; might not be the sexiest looking but he’s getting it done. Let them not give Ben ( us) our full respect. That Just keeps full in the fire. :)

Northern_Blitz
11-19-2020, 03:54 PM
I want Ben to play well enough that he should be in the conversation, but I don't want him to win the MVP.

We need to extend his contract this year if we want to be competitive. And I'd prefer that we don't get the extra cap hit that gets tied to QB that was just awarded league MVP.

Although maybe it doesn't matter because he'll probably end up being the highest paid player in the league (or close enough) either way.

Mr.wizard
11-19-2020, 07:03 PM
The only way Ben wins the MVP is for us to go undefeated.

hawaiiansteel
11-19-2020, 08:13 PM
The only way Ben wins the MVP is for us to go undefeated.

or the Super Bowl.

papillon
11-20-2020, 01:36 AM
The only way Ben wins the MVP is for the other 31 quarterbacks to drop out of the league due to COVID.

Fixed it for you, well, I actually altered it for you. ;):p

Pappy

NorthCoast
11-20-2020, 08:30 AM
No magic from Murray last night. Guess he drops down the list and Wilson moves up a notch.

Oviedo
11-20-2020, 09:25 AM
Ben will never see an MVP award.

Buzz
11-20-2020, 09:28 AM
Ben will never see an MVP award.

Well, maybe Super Bowl MVP.

feltdizz
11-20-2020, 09:31 AM

He probably won’t ever win that either. They would give it to a WR.

I think he’s blacklisted due to his off field issues. New Orleans is also on that list. They will never reach another SB while Sean Payton is the head coach.

Northern_Blitz
11-20-2020, 10:13 AM
He probably won’t ever win that either. They would give it to a WR.

I think he’s blacklisted due to his off field issues. New Orleans is also on that list. They will never reach another SB while Sean Payton is the head coach.

I think maybe he'd get SB MVP, but not league MVP.

I think last time this was certainly a consideration and likely the reason he didn't get it. Homes was great on that last drive and I can see the argument for him getting the award. But I think Ben was a better choice than Homes and that Harrison should have won it either way.

Steel Maniac
11-20-2020, 10:52 AM

That’s the one that matters. Ask Lebron and ask Giannis which one they’d rather have.

Buzz
11-20-2020, 11:35 AM
That’s the one that matters. Ask Lebron and ask Giannis which one they’d rather have.

Agreed.

As far as Ben being "blacklisted," that may have been true for a time, but I think that since so many years have passed since his issues, that may no longer be the case. After all, we see Michael Vick doing NFL analyst work for major networks.

Steel Maniac
11-20-2020, 12:12 PM
Agreed.

As far as Ben being "blacklisted," that may have been true for a time, but I think that since so many years have passed since his issues, that may no longer be the case. After all, we see Michael Vick doing NFL analyst work for major networks.

I hear you..

But the fact is he's not getting hardly any buzz for MVP and he's on an undefeated team. That seems to indicate that maybe he still isn't thought of in a positive light.