PDA

View Full Version : Props to Mike Tomlin!!!

hawaiiansteel
11-01-2020, 06:36 PM
great adjustments at halftime, he definitely outcoached Harbaugh today!

Steelers are 7-0, I'm loving this season.

SidSmythe
11-01-2020, 06:44 PM
How about Keith Butler getting under TJs skin on the sideline.
That was great.

Starlifter
11-01-2020, 06:47 PM
The coaching has been really good this year. Hey when you’re 7-0 it’s hard to find fault.

But I wouldn’t have run James up the middle on that last 3rd and 2.

Buzz
11-01-2020, 06:53 PM
Good coaching adjustments, but the Rats made some good ones, too, IMO. It's a dang good thing we got the turnovers, or we'd likely be looking at our first loss of the season.

Eddie Spaghetti
11-01-2020, 06:53 PM
tomlin is doing one hell of a job just like he did last year getting that team to 8 wins.

his philosophy of next man up permeates the entire team. we saw it today with Isaiah buggs

Buzz
11-01-2020, 06:57 PM
tomlin is doing one hell of a job just like he did last year getting that team to 8 wins.

his philosophy of next man up permeates the entire team. we saw it today with Isaiah buggs

Yep. Seems to have the backups ready to step in and play. Good on MT.

Ghost
11-01-2020, 07:23 PM

Totally agree and I’d add Spillane to that list.

NorthCoast
11-01-2020, 07:25 PM
Good coaching adjustments, but the Rats made some good ones, too, IMO. It's a dang good thing we got the turnovers, or we'd likely be looking at our first loss of the season.

Goes both ways. That's how the Ravens won a few games otherwise we're not even discussing them as a threat.

Oviedo
11-01-2020, 07:27 PM
The coaching has been really good this year. Hey when you’re 7-0 it’s hard to find fault.

But some do...only thing they got

Keep in mind Ben calls many of those plays not the coaches

Starlifter
11-01-2020, 10:14 PM

Keep in mind Ben calls many of those plays not the coaches

when he went no huddle - that again started a rhythm and opened up the offense. When you have a QB with his experience, it's a great weapon to utilize.

hawaiiansteel
11-01-2020, 10:50 PM

yup, we're 7-0 which ties the greatest start in Steelers history and a certain poster still has his sig wanting to fire Tomlin :roll:

Buzz
11-02-2020, 01:02 AM
Tomlin Unhappy with Team Performance vs. Ravens

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Article/Steelers-Tomlin-unhappy-with-performance-but-it-was-a-winning-performance-against-ravens-154075551/

Mike is sending the right message to his players. Hope they take it to heart and give the Cowpies a good butt-whipping next week.

whisper
11-02-2020, 01:56 AM
when he went no huddle - that again started a rhythm and opened up the offense. When you have a QB with his experience, it's a great weapon to utilize.

It got us going. You wonder why they don't do it sooner.

flippy
11-02-2020, 07:37 AM

I've always wondered why we don't run it all the time and let Ben run a Jim Kelley like Bills offense from the 90s.

Disco1981
11-02-2020, 08:42 AM

They ran all over us

NorthCoast
11-02-2020, 09:12 AM
They ran all over usTo not play their best and still beat a very good opponent says a lot about the Steelers.

Northern_Blitz
11-02-2020, 10:05 AM
To not play their best and still beat a very good opponent says a lot about the Steelers.

Yep. This is the mark of good teams...or maybe causality goes the other way where the teams that get the lucky breaks are the ones that end up being good.

Oviedo
11-02-2020, 10:30 AM

Because if it expected, teams can plan for it. Too much of the same has limited success

Oviedo
11-02-2020, 10:32 AM
To not play their best and still beat a very good opponent says a lot about the Steelers.

Absolutely. There is a special feeling about this team. Not saying they are destined to win the Super Bowl but the way these guys stick together and fight to the end says a lot about the leadership at all levels.

Chucktownsteeler
11-02-2020, 10:36 AM
Great team win. Hard to complain about style points when you beat 2 of the best back-to-back on the road.

Starlifter
11-02-2020, 10:55 AM
Speaking of Jim Kelly, Ben could definitely run the K-gun. He’s got the experience and the playmakers around him. Plus with no huddle added to keep the defense from making substitutions it could really be productive.

But hey, 7-0. No need for changes just yet!

Steel Maniac
11-02-2020, 12:51 PM
Great team win. Hard to complain about style points when you beat 2 of the best back-to-back on the road.

Yep, two quality wins in a row; I can't help but feel good about this team. Also, I was impressed with their fight back grit they showed.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/mike-tomlin-says-steelers-dont-fear-lamar-jackson-after-ravens-qb-struggles-again-against-pittsburgh/

hawaiiansteel
11-02-2020, 12:53 PM
Yep, two quality wins in a row; I can't help but feel good about this team. Also, I was impressed with their fight back grit they showed.

yet you still have your sig wanting to fire Tomlin :roll:

feltdizz
11-02-2020, 01:40 PM
yet you still have your sig wanting to fire Tomlin :roll:

Lmao. It’s rather odd to be so positive about the team while having something so negative in the sig.

but somehow it makes sense to him.

hawaiiansteel
11-02-2020, 04:14 PM
Lmao. It’s rather odd to be so positive about the team while having something so negative in the sig.

well, he thinks insulting other people's mothers makes sense so I'm not all that surprised.

NorthCoast
11-02-2020, 05:04 PM
Congrats Coach Tomlin. Now the winningest black coach in the NFL, surpassing Dungy.

He is in rare air.

flippy
11-02-2020, 06:41 PM
Congrats Coach Tomlin. Now the winningest black coach in the NFL, surpassing Dungy.

He is in rare air.

Maybe he can pass him in SuperBowl victories next.

Captain Lemming
11-02-2020, 07:27 PM

That is why I keep saying his comments belie his signature. Even is a thread specifically about Tomlin he expresses optimism about the team...but cannot express that about the coach of that team.

He has said we can't win it all as long as Tomlin is coach. He won't now change his tune unless we win it all.

But If he really believes that, there is no basis for optimism whatsoever.

Oviedo
11-02-2020, 09:31 PM
That is why I keep saying his comments belie his signature. Even is a thread specifically about Tomlin he expresses optimism about the team...but cannot express that about the coach of that team.

He has said we can't win it all as long as Tomlin is coach. He won't now change his tune unless we win it all.

But If he really believes that, there is no basis for optimism whatsoever.

Kinda dumb isn't it? Bipolar posting

flippy
11-03-2020, 12:35 AM

Kinda insane to expect any fan(atic) to be rational. So in some senses, it could be quite brilliant to walk that fine line between genius and insanity.

To some, it's simple to get lost in hope for your team without thinking about it too deeply.

Sometimes I think this is a board of learned doctors. Other times, not so much.

NorthCoast
11-03-2020, 12:41 AM
Kinda insane to expect any fan(atic) to be rational. So in some senses, it could be quite brilliant to walk that fine line between genius and insanity.

To some, it's simple to get lost in hope for your team without thinking about it too deeply.

Sometimes I think this is a board of learned doctors. Other times, not so much.I don't have an MD or PhD, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once.

hawaiiansteel
11-03-2020, 12:47 AM

Bipolar mixed with delusional narcissism...

Steel Maniac
11-03-2020, 12:50 AM

Boom.........

hawaiiansteel
11-03-2020, 12:52 AM
Boom.........

you walk the fine line between narcissism and insanity.

Boom.......

Steel Maniac
11-03-2020, 12:56 AM

Boom......

hawaiiansteel
11-03-2020, 01:20 AM
Boom......

you get lost so deeply in hope for your team that you want the head coach fired when we're 7-0.

Boom.......

Steel Maniac
11-03-2020, 01:23 AM

Boom.. boom....

NorthCoast
11-03-2020, 08:51 AM
Honestly guys, you need to take this somewhere else. Maybe meet each other in a dark alley somewhere....

Eich
11-03-2020, 09:37 AM
Honestly guys, you need to take this somewhere else. Maybe meet each other in a dark alley somewhere....

I agree. It's childish and absurd. I'm tired of reading it every time I come here.

feltdizz
11-03-2020, 09:52 AM
Boom.. boom....

Are you in the Black Eyed Peas?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Owa2s4O0ioU

SidSmythe
11-03-2020, 11:08 AM
Can you imagine having your day ruined or even taking out 2 minutes to argue with a Message Board Foe??
Here's a life secret - Shake Your Head and Move On.
BAM, POW. BANG, THWACK.... BOOOOOM!!

Oviedo
11-03-2020, 12:26 PM
Can you imagine having your day ruined or even taking out 2 minutes to argue with a Message Board Foe??
Here's a life secret - Shake Your Head and Move On.
BAM, POW. BANG, THWACK.... BOOOOOM!!

Kinda crazy isn't it

hawaiiansteel
11-03-2020, 12:47 PM

I would love to, should only take about 5 seconds.

NorthCoast
11-03-2020, 01:47 PM
https://methodshop.com/wp-content/uploads/batman-fight-graphics.jpg

hawaiiansteel
11-03-2020, 02:02 PM
Joe Haden offers extremely high praise for Mike Tomlin

Originally posted on Larry Brown Sports
By Steve DelVecchio | Last updated 11/2/20

Joe Haden spent the first seven years of his career with the Cleveland Browns, so it goes without saying that he has been greatly enjoying his time in Pittsburgh over the past three-plus seasons. It’s also no surprise that the Pro Bowler has loved playing for Mike Tomlin.

Former Steelers defensive back Ryan Clark took to Twitter on Sunday to praise Tomlin for never having a losing season in Pittsburgh. Haden responded by enthusiastically calling Tomlin “the best coach I have ever had in my life!”

When thinking of Haden’s time with the Browns, that isn’t saying much. His head coaches in Cleveland were Eric Mangini, Pat Shurmur, Rob Chudzinski, Mike Pettine and Hue Jackson. The Browns never had a winning season under any of them.

However, it should be noted that Haden said Tomlin is the best coach he’s had in his life, so he was likely referring to before the NFL as well. That’s pretty high praise from a Pro Bowl player.

Haden has taken shots at the Browns in the past, but this should be viewed as more of a compliment to Tomlin than anything.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/joe_haden_offers_extremely_high_praise_for_mike_to mlin/s1_127_33228782

hawaiiansteel
11-04-2020, 02:31 PM
Coach of the Year

Jason La Canfora: Bruce Arians

Tom Brady has won a lot of hardware for a lot of people over the years.

Pete Prisco: Brian Flores

It's amazing to think he has this team in the playoff race. They have the best scoring defense in the league.

Will Brinson: Mike Tomlin

How can you not give it to the guy whose team is undefeated, especially on a follow-up to the great Duck Hodges Tour of 2019?

Jonathan Jones: Mike Tomlin

He's one win shy of securing his 14th consecutive non-losing season, and he's nine games shy of wrapping up his first Coach of the Year award.

Ryan Wilson: Brian Flores

We'll see how things work out with Tua, but the Dolphins make the turn as the No. 2 team in the AFC East and are above .500.

John Breech: Mike Tomlin

The Steelers are the NFL's last remaining undefeated team and a big reason for that is because of their defense, which is Tomlin's specialty.

Jared Dubin: Brian Flores

The Dolphins might win nine games. If they do, I'm betting Flores gets the nod over a coach of an 11- or 12-win team.

Cody Benjamin: Mike Tomlin

The Steelers could very easily be 10-0 going into a Thanksgiving game against Baltimore. Tomlin's the obvious front-runner.

Tyler Sullivan: Mike Tomlin

We should have seen this coming after a near playoff berth without Big Ben a season ago.

Patrik Walker: Mike Tomlin

Don't kid yourselves here. Tomlin has the Steelers with a 7-0 record -- the only undefeated team in the league -- and in the process has drafted and instantly made rookie receiver Chase Claypool a megastar. With an aging Ben Roethlisberger returning from elbow surgery in 2020, the Steelers offense keeps on churning while the defense mauls teams on-demand. Tomlin is the best in the biz.

Bryan DeArdo: Mike Tomlin

A year after having arguably his best season on the sideline, Tomlin and the Steelers are off to the franchise's first 7-0 start since 1978. A big reason for the Steelers' success has been Tomlin's role in creating a culture that prioritizes team success over individual accolades.

Jeff Kerr: Brian Flores

The Dolphins went from last to first in points per game allowed, on pace to become the first team in league history to accomplish that feat in a 16-game season. They are 9-7 in their last 16 games and 4-3 on the year.

Josh Edwards: Brian Flores

Miami upgraded the baseline talent level on their roster this offseason, but Brian Flores continues to exceed expectations and now has the Dolphins in a position to compete within the AFC East.

THE FINAL TALLY:

Mike Tomlin (7)
Brian Flores (5)
Bruce Arians (1)

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2020-nfl-midseason-awards-super-bowl-picks-experts-weigh-in-on-mvp-coach-of-the-year-and-more/

Northern_Blitz
11-04-2020, 03:00 PM
https://methodshop.com/wp-content/uploads/batman-fight-graphics.jpg

There's a "fap" joke in here somewhere...

Oviedo
11-04-2020, 03:14 PM
Joe Haden offers extremely high praise for Mike Tomlin

Originally posted on Larry Brown Sports
By Steve DelVecchio | Last updated 11/2/20

Joe Haden spent the first seven years of his career with the Cleveland Browns, so it goes without saying that he has been greatly enjoying his time in Pittsburgh over the past three-plus seasons. It’s also no surprise that the Pro Bowler has loved playing for Mike Tomlin.

Former Steelers defensive back Ryan Clark took to Twitter on Sunday to praise Tomlin for never having a losing season in Pittsburgh. Haden responded by enthusiastically calling Tomlin “the best coach I have ever had in my life!”

When thinking of Haden’s time with the Browns, that isn’t saying much. His head coaches in Cleveland were Eric Mangini, Pat Shurmur, Rob Chudzinski, Mike Pettine and Hue Jackson. The Browns never had a winning season under any of them.

However, it should be noted that Haden said Tomlin is the best coach he’s had in his life, so he was likely referring to before the NFL as well. That’s pretty high praise from a Pro Bowl player.

Haden has taken shots at the Browns in the past, but this should be viewed as more of a compliment to Tomlin than anything.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/joe_haden_offers_extremely_high_praise_for_mike_to mlin/s1_127_33228782

Never having a losing season...who cares? Some actually have that stupid perspective because every NFL coach does that...NOT! We're talking 15 years not 5.

Great coach and even better...he is ours

But what do Haden and Clark know compared to Tomlin-haters on this board

Buzz
11-04-2020, 03:14 PM
Coach of the Year

Jason La Canfora: Bruce Arians

Tom Brady has won a lot of hardware for a lot of people over the years.

Pete Prisco: Brian Flores

It's amazing to think he has this team in the playoff race. They have the best scoring defense in the league.

Will Brinson: Mike Tomlin

How can you not give it to the guy whose team is undefeated, especially on a follow-up to the great Duck Hodges Tour of 2019?

Jonathan Jones: Mike Tomlin

He's one win shy of securing his 14th consecutive non-losing season, and he's nine games shy of wrapping up his first Coach of the Year award.

Ryan Wilson: Brian Flores

We'll see how things work out with Tua, but the Dolphins make the turn as the No. 2 team in the AFC East and are above .500.

John Breech: Mike Tomlin

The Steelers are the NFL's last remaining undefeated team and a big reason for that is because of their defense, which is Tomlin's specialty.

Jared Dubin: Brian Flores

The Dolphins might win nine games. If they do, I'm betting Flores gets the nod over a coach of an 11- or 12-win team.

Cody Benjamin: Mike Tomlin

The Steelers could very easily be 10-0 going into a Thanksgiving game against Baltimore. Tomlin's the obvious front-runner.

Tyler Sullivan: Mike Tomlin

We should have seen this coming after a near playoff berth without Big Ben a season ago.

Patrik Walker: Mike Tomlin

Don't kid yourselves here. Tomlin has the Steelers with a 7-0 record -- the only undefeated team in the league -- and in the process has drafted and instantly made rookie receiver Chase Claypool a megastar. With an aging Ben Roethlisberger returning from elbow surgery in 2020, the Steelers offense keeps on churning while the defense mauls teams on-demand. Tomlin is the best in the biz.

Bryan DeArdo: Mike Tomlin

A year after having arguably his best season on the sideline, Tomlin and the Steelers are off to the franchise's first 7-0 start since 1978. A big reason for the Steelers' success has been Tomlin's role in creating a culture that prioritizes team success over individual accolades.

Jeff Kerr: Brian Flores

The Dolphins went from last to first in points per game allowed, on pace to become the first team in league history to accomplish that feat in a 16-game season. They are 9-7 in their last 16 games and 4-3 on the year.

Josh Edwards: Brian Flores

Miami upgraded the baseline talent level on their roster this offseason, but Brian Flores continues to exceed expectations and now has the Dolphins in a position to compete within the AFC East.

THE FINAL TALLY:

Mike Tomlin (7)
Brian Flores (5)
Bruce Arians (1)

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2020-nfl-midseason-awards-super-bowl-picks-experts-weigh-in-on-mvp-coach-of-the-year-and-more/

Hopefully Tomlin is getting the same kind of kudos after the season has wrapped up.

Oviedo
11-04-2020, 03:25 PM
Hopefully Tomlin is getting the same kind of kudos after the season has wrapped up.

I guess for some that would give more time to move the goal posts

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-05-2020, 12:51 PM
I guess for some that would give more time to move the goal posts

I don't think so. The knock on Tomlin for those who criticize is not his regular season prowess but the failure of his teams in the playoffs. If this team goes into the playoffs with 13+ wins then the expectations will be high. If they lose early the (rightly or wrongly) it will be viewed as a Tomlin failure.

Steel Maniac
11-05-2020, 01:19 PM
I don't think so. The knock on Tomlin for those who criticize is not his regular season prowess but the failure of his teams in the playoffs. If this team goes into the playoffs with 13+ wins then the expectations will be high. If they lose early the (rightly or wrongly) it will be viewed as a Tomlin failure.

Well said.

hawaiiansteel
11-05-2020, 01:37 PM
Well said.

and you will be the first one to gloat if the Steelers lose in the playoffs.

sad and pathetic.

Captain Lemming
11-05-2020, 04:19 PM

Not really. It is just the last criticism standing. I do agree if we lose in the playoffs (which happens to every good team but one) critics will claim validation. But people were critical of PLENTY of things in the past.

Captain Lemming
11-05-2020, 04:29 PM
Well said.

Again:
Not really. It is just the last criticism standing. If we lose in the playoffs (which happens to every good team but one) critics will claim validation.

But were you JUST critical of his recent playoff record?

I recall the following:

1. Defensive guy should not have a bad defense (Havent heard that one for awhile)
2. Secondary coach should have a better secondary (did not hear that last season)
3. We always lose to inferior teams
5. Cannot control his lockeroom

These are all criticisms YOU had.
Where are the props for the job he is doing now?

Fact is playoff disappointments are all you have left. Unless he win the SB (nobody is odds on favorite to do that against the field), you will not acknowledge he is doing a good job.

hawaiiansteel
11-05-2020, 04:59 PM
Again:
Not really. It is just the last criticism standing. If we lose in the playoffs (which happens to every good team but one) critics will claim validation.

I recall the following:

1. Defensive guy should not have a bad defense (Havent heard that one for awhile)
2. Secondary coach should have a better secondary (did not hear that last season)

Fact is playoff disappointments are all you have left. Unless he win the SB (nobody is odds on favorite to do that against the field), you will not acknowledge he is doing a good job.

Well said.

BURGH86STEEL
11-05-2020, 05:39 PM
Each game should be looked at individually to determine the reasons why the team loss. I know, I know people are to lazy to consider anything other than Tomlin sucks in the playoffs and is a failure. Football is a team game. Players have a bigger impact on the out come of games.

Unfortunately, fans love to look for a fall guy regardless of what happens in the games. Failure only be view as a Tomlin failure by those who simply choose to view it as a Tomlin failure. Ultimately the Steelers win and lose as a team and organization.

hawaiiansteel
11-05-2020, 05:49 PM
Money on Mike?

Mike Tomlin is now the gambling favorite to be the NFL Coach of the Year.

After a 7-0 start — following an 8-8 season a year ago — BetOnline.ag lists the Steelers head coach as a 5/2 favorite to win the award.

Miami Dolphins coach Brian Flores is next at 5/1. Andy Reid (Kansas City) and Kliff Kingsbury (Arizona) round out the top four at 9/1.

Some of the injection of talent to help Tomlin’s cause has come from quarterback Ben Roethlisberger’s return under center and rookie receiver Chase Claypool.

Roethlisberger is sixth in the NFL among favorites to win the NFL MVP trophy at 20/1. Claypool is also sixth for Rookie of the Year balloting at 33/1.

https://triblive.com/sports/first-call-mike-tomlins-odds-to-win-nfl-coach-of-the-year-antonio-browns-first-tampa-practice-and-interview-clips/

Steelerphile
11-05-2020, 06:09 PM
There are probably around 30 other fan bases that would be ecstatic to get Mike Tomlin as their head coach, and a lot of Steeler fans are too dumb to realize how outstanding he is as head coach.

Ever notice how Tomlin haters attribute success with Tomlin to that the Steelers always have the superior talent, from a carryover of Cowher's players (that were of course vastly more talented than all other NFL players) til the present. What they don't seem to realize is Tomlin brings out the best in players. He knows how to motivate and he knows how to cultivate a player to get strong efforts. That is the key. Steelers don't have advantages in acquiring talent. Players that were great with the Steelers and go to other teams, fizzle out. Martavis Bryant, Le'Veon Bell, and AB, ie. Although I hope AB does well. I like him better than Bell.

Have you heard of a lot of players that were not really good with the Steelers that became great when they left? L. J Fort you say? The Steelers should have played him before bringing back Sean Spence, but they did find him and cultivate him. I think they set up him for the nice FA contract with Baltimore.

However players that come to Steelers that have talent, seem to play better with the Steelers, such as Ray-Ray or Minkah Ftizpatrick.

Northern_Blitz
11-05-2020, 06:29 PM
Again:

I recall the following:

Logic doesn't work against positions decided based on emotions. And unfortunately, I think most of us base our opinions on emotions.

I really enjoyed John Haidt's book "The Righteous Mind" which talks about arguments like this. The argument is that our decisions can be modeled as an elephant (emotional response) and a rider (logical response).

We like to think we're the rider, telling the elephant where to do.

But on contentious issues, it seems like it's more likely for our elephants to move wherever the heck they want, then our rider makes up a story about why it was his intention to move there in the first place.

So maybe it's hard / impossible for us to really determine if we would have been better or worse if we hired someone other than Tomlin, or fired Tomlin years ago.

But while we may not know if we're on the optimal path with MT, we can certainly observe that very few coaches have had Tomlin's success in the regular season or in the playoffs. And I'd argue that his playoff success is generally the same or better than other coaches who have very good to elite coaches on market level deals.

Iron City Inc.
11-05-2020, 08:17 PM
There are probably around 30 other fan bases that would be ecstatic to get Mike Tomlin as their head coach, and a lot of Steeler fans are too dumb to realize how outstanding he is as head coach.

Have you heard of a lot of players that were not really good with the Steelers that became great when they left? L. J Fort you say? The Steelers should have played him before bringing back Sean Spence, but they did find him and cultivate him. I think they set up him for the nice FA contract with Baltimore

However players that come to Steelers that have talent, seem to play better with the Steelers, such as Ray-Ray or Minkah Ftizpatrick.

Fort played well on special teams for us. He was good on run plays away from him where he could run n fill. However "A gap" run plays he to often got engulphed. And why he wasn't on the field much on 3rd down was he is a liability in coverage even though he has good speed. He may have gotten better but his lack of ability in pass coverage was a major reason why we didn't keep him around. I can recall a bunch of tough goal line plays at Latrobe where he just labored in the flat trying to stick with the back running a wheel or chair route.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-06-2020, 10:41 AM
Each game should be looked at individually to determine the reasons why the team loss. I know, I know people are to lazy to consider anything other than Tomlin sucks in the playoffs and is a failure. Football is a team game. Players have a bigger impact on the out come of games.

Unfortunately, fans love to look for a fall guy regardless of what happens in the games. Failure only be view as a Tomlin failure by those who simply choose to view it as a Tomlin failure. Ultimately the Steelers win and lose as a team and organization.

I agree. Football is an eyeball game, baseball is a stats game. For the most part when watching baseball, if a career .260 hitter starts off hitting .340 after the first month, typically you don't believe that he will finish hitting close to .340, you know that usually the player will regress to the mean and hit within 10-15 points of .260. With football it takes individual observation to breakdown successes and failures, not a statistical number of playoff games.

Captain Lemming
11-06-2020, 12:38 PM

If the best kicker in the league doesn't choke on the Colts in 2005 (a play we had no control over)...what would the narrative be on Tomlin?

NorthCoast
11-06-2020, 12:49 PM
I agree. Football is an eyeball game, baseball is a stats game. For the most part when watching baseball, if a career .260 hitter starts off hitting .340 after the first month, typically you don't believe that he will finish hitting close to .340, you know that usually the player will regress to the mean and hit within 10-15 points of .260. With football it takes individual observation to breakdown successes and failures, not a statistical number of playoff games.Again, yes and no. You heard during the last game that BAL is big on analytics. Where I think it has value is in determining opponent tendencies and trends. This is especially true against teams that 'do what we do'. How much harder is it for players to execute on a given play if the opponent knows what you are going to do? There is no perfect play in the NFL, there are only better or worser plays against particular formations and schemes.

I think that is part of the value of the no-huddle. It breaks tendencies and scripts and allows the offense to dictate defensive formations especially in the passing game.

feltdizz
11-06-2020, 01:10 PM
If the best kicker in the league doesn't choke on the Colts in 2005 (a play we had no control over)...what would the narrative be on Tomlin?

They would say he choked but Bettis would be the most hated Steeler since O’Donnell

feltdizz
11-06-2020, 01:12 PM
Again, yes and no. You heard during the last game that BAL is big on analytics. Where I think it has value is in determining opponent tendencies and trends. This is especially true against teams that 'do what we do'. How much harder is it for players to execute on a given play if the opponent knows what you are going to do? There is no perfect play in the NFL, there are only better or worser plays against particular formations and schemes.

I think that is part of the value of the no-huddle. It breaks tendencies and scripts and allows the offense to dictate defensive formations especially in the passing game.

not necessarily, no huddle with an incompletion or negative play can really throw a wrench in a drive.

I believe we had a 3 and out or 2 with the no huddle vs Baltimore last game.

hawaiiansteel
11-06-2020, 01:23 PM
Minkah Fitzpatrick: Mike Tomlin ‘Deserves All The Credit In The World’ For Steelers’ 7-0 Start, Keeping Guys Healthy

By Matthew Marczi
Posted on November 5, 2020

Winning streaks are not exactly new for the Pittsburgh Steelers. As recently as 2018, they won six consecutive games. The year before that, they won eight games in a row (and it frankly should have been 11). Mike Tomlin had his team finish the 2016 season on a seven-game winning streak.

In other words, even though the Steelers haven’t started a season better than 3-0 in several decades before this year, it shouldn’t at all be surprising to see it happen. This is a well-coached team that is more than capable of stringing wins together. Even last year without Ben Roethlisberger, they had a streak in which they won seven out of eight games.

And if you ask his players, there is one clear answer about who deserves the credit for this 7-0 start, in a year in which the schedule certainly makes it seem as though they have a good chance of going at least 10-0. Minkah Fitzpatrick talked about Tomlin’s importance to the Steelers’ winning streak, earlier today.

“He’s our head coach, so he deserves all the credit in the world for our starting off 7-0”, he told reporters. “He’s a guy that pays attention to all the details, who’s gonna voice his opinion on the things that he sees. He’s transparent, which is something I love about him. He’s gonna keep it real, keep it honest with you. If anyone deserves a big portion of the credit, it’s Coach T for sure”.

And lest we forget, this is a season in which he has had his schedule adjusted out from underneath his feet. The Steelers only had essentially half of a bye week while preparing for the Tennessee Titans to suddenly be preparing for the Philadelphia Eagles. And then the Baltimore Ravens had their bye week moved to the week ahead of facing Pittsburgh this past Sunday.

And that also meant that the Steelers would not have a bye at all in the final 13 games. That takes an adjustment to how to run practices and manage players’ health and conditioning, which a lot of players have already discussed this week, and Fitzpatrick added onto that as well.

“It means a lot to have a coach that’s looking out for his players, because there’s not a lot of coaches across the league that are doing that”, he said. “I’m a younger guy, so I’m feeling alright right now, but there are some guys that are beat up, nicked up, that need those days, and literally one day of rest can do a lot for you, so we appreciate it. We definitely are fortunate and grateful to have a coach like Coach T”.

I think it’s fair to say that Tomlin has very much found the locker room since whatever the last time is those on the outside have claimed that he lost it. This is a motivated team that is playing for each other and playing for their head coach, and they’re finding ways to win regardless of circumstance. That doesn’t happen without a steady presence from up top.

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/11/minkah-fitzpatrick-mike-tomlin-deserves-all-the-credit-in-the-world-for-steelers-7-0-start-keeping-guys-healthy/

Oviedo
11-06-2020, 01:44 PM
Minkah Fitzpatrick: Mike Tomlin ‘Deserves All The Credit In The World’ For Steelers’ 7-0 Start, Keeping Guys Healthy

By Matthew Marczi
Posted on November 5, 2020

Winning streaks are not exactly new for the Pittsburgh Steelers. As recently as 2018, they won six consecutive games. The year before that, they won eight games in a row (and it frankly should have been 11). Mike Tomlin had his team finish the 2016 season on a seven-game winning streak.

In other words, even though the Steelers haven’t started a season better than 3-0 in several decades before this year, it shouldn’t at all be surprising to see it happen. This is a well-coached team that is more than capable of stringing wins together. Even last year without Ben Roethlisberger, they had a streak in which they won seven out of eight games.

And if you ask his players, there is one clear answer about who deserves the credit for this 7-0 start, in a year in which the schedule certainly makes it seem as though they have a good chance of going at least 10-0. Minkah Fitzpatrick talked about Tomlin’s importance to the Steelers’ winning streak, earlier today.

“He’s our head coach, so he deserves all the credit in the world for our starting off 7-0”, he told reporters. “He’s a guy that pays attention to all the details, who’s gonna voice his opinion on the things that he sees. He’s transparent, which is something I love about him. He’s gonna keep it real, keep it honest with you. If anyone deserves a big portion of the credit, it’s Coach T for sure”.

And lest we forget, this is a season in which he has had his schedule adjusted out from underneath his feet. The Steelers only had essentially half of a bye week while preparing for the Tennessee Titans to suddenly be preparing for the Philadelphia Eagles. And then the Baltimore Ravens had their bye week moved to the week ahead of facing Pittsburgh this past Sunday.

And that also meant that the Steelers would not have a bye at all in the final 13 games. That takes an adjustment to how to run practices and manage players’ health and conditioning, which a lot of players have already discussed this week, and Fitzpatrick added onto that as well.

“It means a lot to have a coach that’s looking out for his players, because there’s not a lot of coaches across the league that are doing that”, he said. “I’m a younger guy, so I’m feeling alright right now, but there are some guys that are beat up, nicked up, that need those days, and literally one day of rest can do a lot for you, so we appreciate it. We definitely are fortunate and grateful to have a coach like Coach T”.

I think it’s fair to say that Tomlin has very much found the locker room since whatever the last time is those on the outside have claimed that he lost it. This is a motivated team that is playing for each other and playing for their head coach, and they’re finding ways to win regardless of circumstance. That doesn’t happen without a steady presence from up top.

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/11/minkah-fitzpatrick-mike-tomlin-deserves-all-the-credit-in-the-world-for-steelers-7-0-start-keeping-guys-healthy/

What does Minkah know...posters here don't agree and they are experts who see everything that happens behind closed doors...oh wait!!!!!

Captain Lemming
11-07-2020, 12:14 AM
They would say he choked but Bettis would be the most hated Steeler since O’Donnell

True about Bettis. His narrative would be HUGELY different. Again, that is why you pay your QB. :)

But I think you missed my point.
Cowher was coach that year.
If the Colts kicker makes it he never wins a single SB.

Suddenly, TOMLIN has the ONLY SB victory since Noll. People realize Superbowls ARE HARD Cowher never won one.

How would people feel about Tomlin if Cowhers season was not saved by a kicker who choked?

People act like Tomlin inherited some kind of dynasty. Cowhers team got hot and got a TON of breaks go our way.

hawaiiansteel
11-07-2020, 12:48 AM
People act like Tomlin inherited some kind of dynasty.

Tomlin inherited a team that went 8-8 the year before.

Captain Lemming
11-07-2020, 02:25 AM
Tomlin inherited a team that went 8-8 the year before.

You know I was kidding about the 7-0 signature.

If we lose to the lowly Cowboys YOU get all the blame for the jinx.

hawaiiansteel
11-07-2020, 02:28 AM

don't worry, it will be Tomlin's fault.

trust me, a couple of posters here are just dying to point that out whenever the next time is that we lose.

Oviedo
11-07-2020, 01:21 PM
Had a "hats practice" this week

Players expressing appreciation and praising his awareness of in season needs given no bye to look forward to

hawaiiansteel
11-09-2020, 01:36 PM
Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin Ties NFL Record With 14th Straight Non-Losing Season

November 9, 2020

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020/11/09/mike-tomlin-nfl-record-non-losing-seasons-pittsburgh-steelers/

Djfan
11-09-2020, 03:43 PM
I'll step up here. I am not fully on the Tomlin Train.

This year, I have shut my mouth and watched without once criticizing. There are things I would have done differently - Kick a fg with 38 seconds left in the game to go up by 8, not put snell in on a 4th and short run - but it appears that his calls on those plays worked out. I also don't understand why he is OK with the crap Randy F throws up for scripted plays of late.

That all being said, I would REALLY, REALLY, REALLY like to be wrong on Tomlin. I just don't think he has that "it factor" to put the game away. Without Ben, Tomlin would have an also-ran team over his tenure. Obvious statement, but they seem to want to make Ben into a player that he is not. When the no-huddle starts, Ben dominates. When they have plays that are not in the book, he is amazing. That's not coaching, unless they call the "whatever you want, Ben" playbook.

Either way, I acknowledge that I am not an expert on much in football. I just with that he would coach differently more often.

Kudos to Tomlin this year, and much of last year, too. I really can't say much more than that.

Northern_Blitz
11-09-2020, 04:02 PM

This year, I have shut my mouth and watched without once criticizing. There are things I would have done differently - Kick a fg with 38 seconds left in the game to go up by 8, not put snell in on a 4th and short run - but it appears that his calls on those plays worked out. I also don't understand why he is OK with the crap Randy F throws up for scripted plays of late.

That all being said, I would REALLY, REALLY, REALLY like to be wrong on Tomlin. I just don't think he has that "it factor" to put the game away. Without Ben, Tomlin would have an also-ran team over his tenure. Obvious statement, but they seem to want to make Ben into a player that he is not. When the no-huddle starts, Ben dominates. When they have plays that are not in the book, he is amazing. That's not coaching, unless they call the "whatever you want, Ben" playbook.

Either way, I acknowledge that I am not an expert on much in football. I just with that he would coach differently more often.

Kudos to Tomlin this year, and much of last year, too. I really can't say much more than that.

I think the "I would have called things differently" argument is reasonable.

But I think it usually comes down to things that a close to toss ups.

Like going for it in this game, or the onside kick against the Jags.

Tomlin has warts. But he's got benefits too. And his body of work is very positive overall, so I'll take the bad with the good.

This is basically the exact same evaluation I have of Ben. There are times when he comes out and totally ****s the bed. But it's usually when he's very aggressive, and if he weren't very aggressive there's no way he throws that TD to Santonio in the SB. Take the bad with the good.

Steel Maniac
11-09-2020, 04:06 PM
I think the "I would have called things differently" argument is reasonable.

But I think it usually comes down to things that a close to toss ups.

Like going for it in this game, or the onside kick against the Jags.

Tomlin has warts. But he's got benefits too. And his body of work is very positive overall, so I'll take the bad with the good.

This is basically the exact same evaluation I have of Ben. There are times when he comes out and totally ****s the bed. But it's usually when he's very aggressive, and if he weren't very aggressive there's no way he throws that TD to Santonio in the SB. Take the bad with the good.

Great discussion fellas. Much appreciated.

Djfan
11-09-2020, 04:16 PM
Agreed. I tend to avoid the nonsense.

I get it NB. Ben is that guy, and no one would do anything the Tomlin does EXACTLY, so it's a more-or-less thing.

Go Steelers.

Steel Maniac
11-09-2020, 04:29 PM
Go Steelers!! :tt2

hawaiiansteel
11-09-2020, 04:34 PM
Go Steelers!! :tt2

not sure how you can say that and still have your sig wanting Tomlin fired, just doesn't make sense.

Captain Lemming
11-09-2020, 06:23 PM

I certainly can respect this.

He is NOT a great offensive strategist that I can see. Neither were his two HOF predecessors.

Funny you mention the "it" factor.
I think that is his strength.
I think he has "leader" coming out of his pores.
Listen to PLAYERS in interviews. They even SOUND like Tomlin ......"if you will" :).

That is why the criticism with Brown and Bell was understandable.
His leadership is what he brings. When THAT is in jeopardy, he will fail.

I was critical, but expressed the belief that Tomlin "lost his way" based on talent, and that he would do just as he has done,,,,emphasive a lockeroom tht is focessed on team first. And this team oozes that mindset.

I DO think he has a great acumen for the defensive side. If you look at play breakdowns at varios sites you will see pretty amazing decisions that have led to defensive success.

For example, people think the Titans exposed Lamars challenges with out routes. Tomlin and Butler figured it out WAY earlier which is why Lamar was AWEFUL against us last year in his MVP season. Looking a breakdowns we concentrated inside coverage like nobody did until the Titans imitated us in the playoffs.
The change to a more athletic, play making Dline, man capable corners, spaller fast inside backer, all have paid dividends.

I do appreciate that though you arent sold, you give "kudos" for the job he is curently doing unlike some critics.

Captain Lemming
11-09-2020, 06:39 PM

You do know that before Minkahs pick an ANGRY THREAD meant for YOU was typed and ready to send Hawaiian!!!! :)

Steel Maniac
11-09-2020, 07:07 PM
I certainly can respect this.

He is NOT a great offensive strategist that I can see. Neither were his two HOF predecessors.

Funny you mention the "it" factor.
I think that is his strength.
I think he has "leader" coming out of his pores.
Listen to PLAYERS in interviews. They even SOUND like Tomlin ......"if you will" :).

That is why the criticism with Brown and Bell was understandable.
His leadership is what he brings. When THAT is in jeopardy, he will fail.

I was critical, but expressed the belief that Tomlin "lost his way" based on talent, and that he would do just as he has done,,,,emphasive a lockeroom tht is focessed on team first. And this team oozes that mindset.

I DO think he has a great acumen for the defensive side. If you look at play breakdowns at varios sites you will see pretty amazing decisions that have led to defensive success.

For example, people think the Titans exposed Lamars challenges with out routes. Tomlin and Butler figured it out WAY earlier which is why Lamar was AWEFUL against us last year in his MVP season. Looking a breakdowns we concentrated inside coverage like nobody did until the Titans imitated us in the playoffs.
The change to a more athletic, play making Dline, man capable corners, spaller fast inside backer, all have paid dividends.

I do appreciate that though you arent sold, you give "kudos" for the job he is currently doing unlike some critics.

Captain, we are 8-0; I haven't seen anyone critic Tomlin. Who do you keep referring to as "critics"? It's been love and roses from all I can see.

Oviedo
11-09-2020, 09:31 PM

Can you explain how you empirically describe "it" factor? Guy is already one of the winningest coaches in the NFL for over a decade. Never had a losing season. Will rpobably end up the second winningest if not winningest coach in franchise history. That's pretty "it" to me.

Oviedo
11-09-2020, 09:32 PM
Captain, we are 8-0; I haven't seen anyone critic Tomlin. Who do you keep referring to as "critics"? It's been love and roses from all I can see.

Just because you haven't been stabbed yet doesn't mean those around you don't have knives. Just waiting in the bushes like snakes waiting for something to go wrong.

hawaiiansteel
11-09-2020, 09:44 PM
Captain, we are 8-0; I haven't seen anyone critic Tomlin. Who do you keep referring to as "critics"?

we just need to read your sig to find a critic.

Captain Lemming
11-09-2020, 09:53 PM

Who is a critic?
You know who I'm talking about.

Come on Maniac....just own it.

Your signature identifies you as a "critic" of Tomlin in your every post.
Earlier, I gave you the benefit of the doubt, saying you are not truly critical as your posts are not consistent with your signature.
You assured me that I was incorrect, and that your signature represents how you feel about Tomlin.

Let me add. This is a thread entitled, "Props to Tomlin".
Djfan just did that thus my comment. You...not so much.

You have engaged frequently in this threads 9 pages and through 8 pages your only mention of Tomlin (the subject of the thread) is your signature dig at Tomlin in your every post.
The post I am replying to here is the first time you use Tomlins name in a thread about Tomlin. The only reason is that you recognized I was talking about YOU.

I told you before, dont act one way and get perplexed by why people see you that way.
You make the point via your signature that you dont like our coach....You are a critic.

That is fine. There are plenty of critics. Just please stop denying it when you tell us it every time you post.

Captain Lemming
11-09-2020, 10:08 PM
Let me add...the reference to Shula in the 70s?
Shula in the 80s was FAR BETTER than the Fins have had since.
Went to the SB in the 80s.

90s?
3 out of 5 seasons a playoff team
Shulas Dolphins made the playoffs his last two seasons, 94,95.

Today? Add up TWO DECADES to get 3 playoff appearances.

Nearly 20 years since the Dolphins have had 2 consecutive playoff appearances.

hawaiiansteel
11-09-2020, 10:48 PM
You do know that before Minkahs pick an ANGRY THREAD meant for YOU was typed and ready to send Hawaiian!!!! :)

what are you talking about, we had them all the way :wink:

had the Steelers in Survivor, I was all ready to blame you for suggesting the 7-0 sig :D

Steel Maniac
11-10-2020, 12:31 AM
Who is a critic?

Earlier, I gave you the benefit of the doubt, saying you are not truly critical as your posts are not consistent with your signature.
You assured me that I was incorrect, and that your signature represents how you feel about Tomlin.

You have engaged frequently in this threads 9 pages and through 8 pages your only mention of Tomlin (the subject of the thread) is your signature dig at Tomlin in your every post.
The post I am replying to here is the first time you use Tomlins name in a thread about Tomlin. The only reason is that you recognized I was talking about YOU.

I told you before, dont act one way and get perplexed by why people see you that way.
You make the point via your signature that you dont like our coach....You are a critic.

That is fine. There are plenty of critics. Just please stop denying it when you tell us it every time you post.

I haven’t said one thing about Tomlin this year; stop with the sig fascination. My sig is only talking about the playoffs ( post -season) . We are in the regular season and again , I haven’t said anything about Tomlin.Stop stirring the pot my friend. :)

hawaiiansteel
11-10-2020, 12:33 AM
Who is a critic?

Boom.......

hawaiiansteel
11-10-2020, 12:52 AM
Let me add...the reference to Shula in the 70s?
Shula in the 80s was FAR BETTER than the Fins have had since.
Went to the SB in the 80s.

90s?
3 out of 5 seasons a playoff team
Shulas Dolphins made the playoffs his last two seasons, 94,95.

Today? Add up TWO DECADES to get 3 playoff appearances.

Nearly 20 years since the Dolphins have had 2 consecutive playoff appearances.

Boom.......

Northern_Blitz
11-10-2020, 06:52 AM
Agreed. I tend to avoid the nonsense.

I get it NB. Ben is that guy, and no one would do anything the Tomlin does EXACTLY, so it's a more-or-less thing.

Go Steelers.

I'm trying to get better at avoiding nonsense.

flippy
11-10-2020, 07:30 AM
I'm trying to get better at avoiding nonsense.

Why avoid the nonsense when you can be the nonsense?

Northern_Blitz
11-10-2020, 07:48 AM
Why avoid the nonsense when you can be the nonsense?

I've played that game too.

Re: Going for it vs. FG

Our problem with choosing between "going for it" vs. "kicking the FG" is that it seems like we haven't been good at short yardage running for years and that Dallas was owning out FG team. When choosing between two bad options, I don't think it's unreasonable to take the one that has the lowest chance to end in catastrophic failure.

Apparently the analytics / football bots say that this was close to a toss up. But, chances of winning were slightly higher by going for it (i.e. they support Tomlin's decision, but only by a bit so it probably didn't matter much which way we went).

This is similar to the onside kick against the Jags. Slightly unconventional, but predicted to increase the chances of winning in both cases. Both were reasonable calls IMO (particularly that onside kick).

Northern_Blitz
11-10-2020, 07:48 AM

Our problem with choosing between "going for it" vs. "kicking the FG" is that it seems like we haven't been good at short yardage running for years and that Dallas was owning out FG team. When choosing between two bad options, I don't think it's unreasonable to take the one that has the lowest chance to end in catastrophic failure.

Apparently the analytics / football bots say that this was close to a toss up. But, chances of winning were slightly higher by going for it (i.e. they support Tomlin's decision, but only by a bit so it probably didn't matter much which way we went).

This is similar to the onside kick against the Jags. Slightly unconventional, but predicted to increase the chances of winning in both cases. Both were reasonable calls IMO (particularly that onside kick).

I think this kind of backlash is why a lot of coaches "on the hot seat" make bad decisions (although in this case it probably wouldn't have mattered much either way).

Providing coaches with job security (like the Steelers do) frees them up to make decisions they think are best, instead of trying to pander to fans / ownership.

This is why I hate the idea that putting someone "on the hot seat" improves performance. It's the equivalent of an "employee improvement plan" whose only purpose is to provide documentation that a firing was justified.

flippy
11-10-2020, 08:15 AM
I think this kind of backlash is why a lot of coaches "on the hot seat" make bad decisions (although in this case it probably wouldn't have mattered much either way).

Providing coaches with job security (like the Steelers do) frees them up to make decisions they think are best, instead of trying to pander to fans / ownership.

This is why I hate the idea that putting someone "on the hot seat" improves performance. It's the equivalent of an "employee improvement plan" whose only purpose is to provide documentation that a firing was justified.

I prefer people that are inspired and hopeful which I believe almost always leads to better performance. People that live in fear or are on a PIP have a primary concern of covering their butts vs doing what they believe is best. I'd rather see someone go down in flames trying vs giving up.

While it may sting to just fire someone without telling them that they're on the hot seat, I think that's often the best way to go. People are self aware and are typically more critical of themselves than anyone else would ever be. And they usually know they're on the hot seat even if it's not explicit. But I would always prefer not to focus on it and still try to stay motivated by the big picture.

That said, why do teams ever punt? Isn't it statistically better to avoid punting? Yet everyone does it.

NorthCoast
11-10-2020, 08:40 AM

This is similar to the onside kick against the Jags. Slightly unconventional, but predicted to increase the chances of winning in both cases. Both were reasonable calls IMO (particularly that onside kick).While I didn't have a problem with them going for it I DID have a problem with the play call. Calling a run play that hasn't worked consistently for weeks (or years?) didn't make sense at all.

People haven't mentioned it but the whole scenario could have been avoided if Claypool doesn't do his 'slide' on third down and instead powered through that tackle. Given his size and length I have no doubt he could have picked up the first down. CC did not have his best game last week.

feltdizz
11-10-2020, 09:37 AM

Never understood the whole “without Ben” argument when it comes to Tomlin. What HC has had long term success without a franchise QB? Pretty sure we won games during our SB runs without Ben too due to injury or just resting him. Hell, we pushed the Ravens to OT with Dennis Dixon at QB in Baltimore.

We won with Charlie Batch
We won with Byron Leftwich
We won with Mason
We even won with Duck.

Sure, it wasn’t always pretty but how many times have we had back up QB’s playing and still felt like we had a chance to win games? Look at Billicheat without Brady this year. Struggle bus.

I think it’s crazy that Tomlin gets this criticism and skepticism. After 2011 we went thru a rebuild due to trying to make one more run with some old ass vets.

I think part of what makes Tomlin a good coach is fans actually expected us to make the SB all those years when it was obvious we weren’t set up for a run. Now maybe that’s just fans thinking Ben is enough to win a SB any year but I think the reality is we always field competitive teams.

feltdizz
11-10-2020, 09:41 AM

I would’ve had no problem if they put their head down to get a first down and were stuffed. But that slow developing play to the outside was a terrible idea.

I’m surprised no one has taken ownership for calling that specific play. Was it Fitner? Did Ben call it?

This is why I think it’s a bad idea to take credit for plays that work.. cause when they don’t.. lol.

Northern_Blitz
11-10-2020, 09:43 AM
While I didn't have a problem with them going for it I DID have a problem with the play call. Calling a run play that hasn't worked consistently for weeks (or years?) didn't make sense at all.

People haven't mentioned it but the whole scenario could have been avoided if Claypool doesn't do his 'slide' on third down and instead powered through that tackle. Given his size and length I have no doubt he could have picked up the first down. CC did not have his best game last week.

Apparently Claypool tweeted out something like "I'm never sliding again".

I'm sure he was told not to go out of bounds no matter what. And thinking about the clock is important.

I agree that the play call on 4th and 1 sucked. But it feels like we also suck at just running up the gut on short yardage plays.

But in that case I'd rather fail smashing it up the middle I think.

A QB sneak would be a high percentage call, but with Ben already hurting and the fact that our season would be over if he gets injured I'm OK not doing that. Maybe have Dobbs as the backup and you could put him in for calls like that to add a wrinkle with someone who has mobility? But that's probably too cute as well.

Northern_Blitz
11-10-2020, 09:44 AM
I would’ve had no problem if they put their head down to get a first down and were stuffed. But that slow developing play to the outside was a terrible idea.

I’m surprised no one has taken ownership for calling that specific play. Was it Fitner? Did Ben call it?

This is why I think it’s a bad idea to take credit for plays that work.. cause when they don’t.. lol.

I agree 100%

Northern_Blitz
11-10-2020, 09:45 AM
Never understood the whole “without Ben” argument when it comes to Tomlin. What HC has had long term success without a franchise QB? Pretty sure we won games during our SB runs without Ben too due to injury or just resting him. Hell, we pushed the Ravens to OT with Dennis Dixon at QB in Baltimore.

We won with Charlie Batch
We won with Byron Leftwich
We won with Mason
We even won with Duck.

Sure, it wasn’t always pretty but how many times have we had back up QB’s playing and still felt like we had a chance to win games? Look at Billicheat without Brady this year. Struggle bus.

I think it’s crazy that Tomlin gets this criticism and skepticism. After 2011 we went thru a rebuild due to trying to make one more run with some old ass vets.

I think part of what makes Tomlin a good coach is fans actually expected us to make the SB all those years when it was obvious we weren’t set up for a run. Now maybe that’s just fans thinking Ben is enough to win a SB any year but I think the reality is we always field competitive teams.

Or at least if you make this argument, compare Tomlin to other coaches with very good QBs over long stretches on non-rookie deals.

Has anyone done that around here? :cool:

Edited to add: Notice that I said "I'm trying to get better at avoiding nonsense." Apparently that's different than succeeding. Clearly, I need to be put on the hot seat so I know that I'm in trouble.

Captain Lemming
11-10-2020, 10:45 AM
I haven’t said one thing about Tomlin this year; stop with the sig fascination. My sig is only talking about the playoffs ( post -season) . We are in the regular season and again , I haven’t said anything about Tomlin.Stop stirring the pot my friend. :)

You asked a question. I answered.

YOU SAID your signature exists because you don't want discuss Tomlin, your signature says it all.

So you are telling us in your signature you are critical of Tomlin to save you time and effort. It doesn't matter the details whether it is post season.

People were "critical" of Cowher until he won it all....nothing to do with regular season.

Again, you can't say ignore my signature when it is the only thing you say about Tomlin.

I don't know why you say stuff and deny what it means.

Clearly you tell us you wish we had a different coach. It will be your stand until we win a SuperBowl.

You are clearly critical of Tomlin. It doesn't matter if it is in your signature, it is what you are saying.

hawaiiansteel
11-10-2020, 12:43 PM

YOU SAID your signature exists because you don't want discuss Tomlin, your signature says it all.

So you are telling us in your signature you are critical of Tomlin to save you time and effort. It doesn't matter the details whether it is post season.

People were "critical" of Cowher until he won it all....nothing to do with regular season.

Again, you can't say ignore my signature when it is the only thing you say about Tomlin.

Clearly you tell us you wish we had a different coach. It will be your stand until we win a SuperBowl.

You are clearly critical of Tomlin. It doesn't matter if it is in your signature, it is what you are saying.

Boom.......

Steel Maniac
11-10-2020, 01:02 PM

1. I haven't said one negative thing about Tomlin. No one has.
2. I'm enjoying our strong start and hope like hell we can secure homefield advantage throughout the playoff.

The end.

hawaiiansteel
11-10-2020, 01:11 PM
1. I haven't said one negative thing about Tomlin. No one has.
2. I'm enjoying our strong start and hope like hell we can secure homefield advantage throughout the playoff.

The end.

your sig says otherwise.

hawaiiansteel
11-10-2020, 04:18 PM
Pittsburgh doesn’t appreciate future Hall of Famer Mike Tomlin as much as it should

https://deadspin.com/pittsburgh-doesn-t-appreciate-future-hall-of-famer-mike-1845635405

hawaiiansteel
11-11-2020, 01:09 AM
COACH OF THE YEAR

Rank 1
Mike Tomlin
Pittsburgh Steelers
(11 votes: Baldinger, Bhanpuri, Brandt, Goodbread, Grant, Hall, Jones-Drew, Mariucci, Pioli, Rank, Trotter)
2. Brian Flores (7 votes: Battista, Bergman, Casserly, Parr, Patra, Ross, Sessler)
3. Sean McDermott (4 votes: Blair, Filice, Lewis, Zierlein)
4. Kliff Kingsbury (2 votes: Chadiha, Shook)
T-5. Pete Carroll (1 vote: Thomas)
T-5. Andy Reid (1 vote: Rosenthal)
T-5. Matt Rhule (1 vote: Carr)
T-5. Ron Rivera (1 vote: Cersosimo)

Why Adam Rank chose Mike Tomlin: There are some things about the Steelers that are hard to believe. Like it's hard to believe the organization had never started a season at 8-0 before this year. And it's hard to believe Mike Tomlin doesn't get more recognition for never having a losing campaign. And while I contend that winning eight games last year without Ben Roethlisberger might have been more impressive, what we're seeing right now makes him my Coach of the Year.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2020-nfl-season-award-predictions-russell-wilson-edges-patrick-mahomes-for-mvp-a#coy

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-11-2020, 12:18 PM
COACH OF THE YEAR

Rank 1
Mike Tomlin
Pittsburgh Steelers
(11 votes: Baldinger, Bhanpuri, Brandt, Goodbread, Grant, Hall, Jones-Drew, Mariucci, Pioli, Rank, Trotter)
2. Brian Flores (7 votes: Battista, Bergman, Casserly, Parr, Patra, Ross, Sessler)
3. Sean McDermott (4 votes: Blair, Filice, Lewis, Zierlein)
4. Kliff Kingsbury (2 votes: Chadiha, Shook)
T-5. Pete Carroll (1 vote: Thomas)
T-5. Andy Reid (1 vote: Rosenthal)
T-5. Matt Rhule (1 vote: Carr)
T-5. Ron Rivera (1 vote: Cersosimo)

Why Adam Rank chose Mike Tomlin: There are some things about the Steelers that are hard to believe. Like it's hard to believe the organization had never started a season at 8-0 before this year. And it's hard to believe Mike Tomlin doesn't get more recognition for never having a losing campaign. And while I contend that winning eight games last year without Ben Roethlisberger might have been more impressive, what we're seeing right now makes him my Coach of the Year.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2020-nfl-season-award-predictions-russell-wilson-edges-patrick-mahomes-for-mvp-a#coy

Surprised that there's no votes for the 5-3 coach of the Raiders Jon Gruden. I would definitely have him instead of any of the one vote guys.

Eich
11-11-2020, 12:44 PM
your sig says otherwise.

So? His signature is accurate. Who cares if it's not the whole picture of Tomlin. That's what he chooses for his signature. MANY people did similar things when Cowher was around. I don't see the point in continuing to follow him around at every post and making comments about it. It would be a non-issue if you'd just let it go.

hawaiiansteel
11-11-2020, 12:47 PM
So? His signature is accurate. Who cares if it's not the whole picture of Tomlin. That's what he chooses for his signature. MANY people did similar things when Cowher was around. I don't see the point in continuing to follow him around at every post and making comments about it. It would be a non-issue if you'd just let it go.

I'm just pointing out his hypocrisy in saying he doesn't criticize Tomlin.

it would be easier if he just stopped making false statements.

NorthCoast
11-13-2020, 05:04 PM
Some great one liners here and some great coaching by a HOF coach. I can see why the players love the guy. (The one scene where he lays into Pouncey for doing something stupid was awesome stuff!)

(worth watching all the way through)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXv8Y-WLPmE

Steel Maniac
11-14-2020, 02:41 AM

I know huh? It’s sad.

hawaiiansteel
11-14-2020, 01:15 PM
I know huh? It’s sad.

what's sad is you claim to not criticize Tomlin yet you have a sig wanting Tomlin fired when we're currently 8-0.

stop being a two-faced hypocrite...

feltdizz
11-14-2020, 02:53 PM

Those people who did it with Cowher were also foolish.

whisper
11-14-2020, 03:20 PM
We were one short completion away from a loss that would have been nearly all Cool Shade's fault last week. I just pray to God, we don't suffer from a Tomlin "gut decision" in the post season. That being said, I do believe Mike has shown improvement as a coach this season and last.

flippy
11-15-2020, 08:14 AM
what's sad is you claim to not criticize Tomlin yet you have a sig wanting Tomlin fired when we're currently 8-0.

stop being a two-faced hypocrite...

Im not sure I see it as hypocritical to criticize Tomlin for a lack of recent success in the playoffs. It’s been 12 years since we won a SuperBowl.

Lots of coaches end up on the hot seat for not winning in the playoffs. We missed the playoffs entirely in 4 of the last 10 years and were 1 and done in 3 of those years.

The SuperBowl loss was 10 years ago and we’ve gotten a lot worse recently. If you look at a year with a playoff victory, a game like Cincy stands out where they gave us that game vs us taking it.

It’s a pattern of underperforming come playoff time.

Celebrating regular season success at this point feels a little like a Steeler WR celebrating a 1st down at the end of a game where we’re losing by multiple scores with no time to comeback.

It’s all good. I like Tomlin. I’m still all in on us winning another SuperBowl. But recent 10 year history says it’s a long shot and we likely won’t be prepared once it comes playoff time. Or the players won’t execute while the coaching will be excellent.

Whatever it is, we have a big hurdle to overcome and it’s totally reasonable imho for people to feel that way. That’s even a more rational opinion vs my own irrational exuberance.

Captain Lemming
11-15-2020, 11:32 AM
Im not sure I see it as hypocritical to criticize Tomlin for a lack of recent success in the playoffs. It’s been 12 years since we won a SuperBowl.

You miss the point Flippy. Recall how this started. Maniac asked me who was a Tomlin critic? I said he was. He denies it when his signature is nothing but a criticism,

His feelings are his right, I'm sure MANY are not confident at this point. But don't criticize in your signature and deny it.

If someone has a signature that says "we should have drafted Lamar and dumped Ben because he is too old Ben hasn'twon squat lately" can that dude say he is not critical of Ben? Can he escape being ridiculed by people who support Ben?

Maniac can do what he wants. It is just stupid to deny what his signature it says in every post.

Steel Maniac
11-15-2020, 12:00 PM

Lots of coaches end up on the hot seat for not winning in the playoffs. We missed the playoffs entirely in 4 of the last 10 years and were 1 and done in 3 of those years.

The SuperBowl loss was 10 years ago and we’ve gotten a lot worse recently. If you look at a year with a playoff victory, a game like Cincy stands out where they gave us that game vs us taking it.

It’s a pattern of underperforming come playoff time.

Celebrating regular season success at this point feels a little like a Steeler WR celebrating a 1st down at the end of a game where we’re losing by multiple scores with no time to comeback.

It’s all good. I like Tomlin. I’m still all in on us winning another SuperBowl. But recent 10 year history says it’s a long shot and we likely won’t be prepared once it comes playoff time. Or the players won’t execute while the coaching will be excellent.

Whatever it is, we have a big hurdle to overcome and it’s totally reasonable imho for people to feel that way. That’s even a more rational opinion vs my own irrational exuberance.

Thank you Flippy for having good , common sense!!!

My sig is ONLY referring to Tomlin’s post season resume!! We are in the regular season and I’ve not made one bad comment about his regular season performances. Not one. We are in the regular season right now; why can’t we just enjoy our 8-0 ( soon to be 9-0) start? Why must some look for reasons to hate?

I’m bailing on this discussions because no one has said one bad thing about Tomlins performance so far this season ; No one. It’s just some who look for something that isn’t there.

Steel Maniac
11-15-2020, 12:02 PM
I really enjoy Flippy for his usual down to earth, brass tacks way of looking at things. Much appreciated Flippy.

flippy
11-15-2020, 12:14 PM
You miss the point Flippy. Recall how this started. Maniac asked me who was a Tomlin critic? I said he was. He denies it when his signature is nothing but a criticism,

His feelings are his right, I'm sure MANY are not confident at this point. But don't criticize in your signature and deny it.

If someone has a signature that says "we should have drafted Lamar and dumped Ben because he is too old Ben hasn'twon squat lately" can that dude say he is not critical of Ben? Can he escape being ridiculed by people who support Ben?

Maniac can do what he wants. It is just stupid to deny what his signature it says in every post.

Is it “stupider” to be stupid or obsessed with stupidity?

Im not calling out anyone here. Just taking the logic of stupidity to its conclusion.

Expecting fanatics to be rational is a bit irrational in its own right. There’s so many shades of rational. I can find the logic in being happy with Tomlin in the regular season, but not the playoffs - that’s all.

Maniac will get back on board completely when we win our next SuperBowl and it’ll be all good in time when we bring home #7.

hawaiiansteel
11-15-2020, 12:28 PM

Boom.......

Northern_Blitz
11-15-2020, 06:46 PM

Im not calling out anyone here. Just taking the logic of stupidity to its conclusion.

Expecting fanatics to be rational is a bit irrational in its own right. There’s so many shades of rational. I can find the logic in being happy with Tomlin in the regular season, but not the playoffs - that’s all.

Maniac will get back on board completely when we win our next SuperBowl and it’ll be all good in time when we bring home #7.

This sounds like Juju talking about arguing with AB.

bostonsteeler
11-15-2020, 09:13 PM

Expecting fanatics to be rational is a bit irrational in its own right. There’s so many shades of rational.

Extremely wise words. Also applies to what's happening in the US of A. You should run for something.

Oviedo
11-16-2020, 08:58 AM
Congratulations to the only undefeated coach in the NFL...MIKE TOMLIN

That's right Mike Tomlin. Not Bill Belicheck! Not Andy Reed! Not Pete Carrol! Not Sean Peyton! Not Sean McVey! Only OUR coach Mike Tomlin!!!!

Buzz
11-16-2020, 09:46 AM
Congratulations to the only undefeated coach in the NFL...MIKE TOMLIN

That's right Mike Tomlin. Not Bill Belicheck! Not Andy Reed! Not Pete Carrol! Not Sean Peyton! Not Sean McVey! Only OUR coach Mike Tomlin!!!!

A big accomplishment, to be sure.

Unfortunately, I don't think they give any awards for going 9-0. Let's finish the job, and have MT be the last coach standing at the end of it all.

Northern_Blitz
11-16-2020, 10:35 AM
A big accomplishment, to be sure.

Unfortunately, I don't think they give any awards for going 9-0. Let's finish the job, and have MT be the last coach standing at the end of it all.

Here's hoping.

1) Because obviously I want us to win a SB every year; and
2) I want to see how far some people are willing to move the goal posts (admittedly a far 2nd).

feltdizz
11-16-2020, 12:12 PM
Amazing how some people wanted Tomlin fired and now they act like that never happened.

Anyhoo.. on to the Jags!!!

Eich
11-16-2020, 02:22 PM
Amazing how some people wanted Tomlin fired and now they act like that never happened.

Anyhoo.. on to the Jags!!!

It's really not amazing at all. It happened with Cowher often. Happens with many coaches and their fans. It's a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately game. Forums are a place to vent and discuss. People vent and discuss differently. This is not directed at you but I don't see the reason to chase someone at every turn regarding an opinion they have.

hawaiiansteel
11-16-2020, 02:30 PM

we're 9-0, there's nothing they can say right now.

but trust me, they're laying in the weeds. anything other than a Super Bowl win and they will be out in force once again.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-16-2020, 03:45 PM
we're 9-0, there's nothing they can say right now.

but trust me, they're laying in the weeds. anything other than a Super Bowl win and they will be out in force once again.

Agreed. The calls will come after the first loss. I say relax. Be patient. Wait for at least two losses.

hawaiiansteel
11-16-2020, 04:30 PM
https://youtu.be/7zl3s73BUTQ

Steel Maniac
11-16-2020, 09:19 PM
Agreed. The calls will come after the first loss. I say relax. Be patient. Wait for at least two losses.

Naaaaaw...Not as bad as some think. We've had a beautiful start and only two teams have won every regular season game. It's virtually impossible to win EVERY regular season game. But because of the loss being a loss, whenever it comes, people will analyze it. That's just what people do. No championship is won in the regular season. Playoffs is the stretch were you have to win every game to win a chip.

We are 9-0 ; about to be 10-0. Whatever happens in the regular season after a 10-0 start, you really don't have two much to beef about. After you get to 10-0, your just trying to get through this with a few more wins and no major injuries.

Captain Lemming
11-16-2020, 10:35 PM
https://youtu.be/7zl3s73BUTQ

Great video. Dude watches "Glee".
I never knew that. :)

Actually a great video.

Captain Lemming
11-16-2020, 10:38 PM
Naaaaaw...Not as bad as some think. We've had a beautiful start and only two teams have won every regular season game. It's virtually impossible to win EVERY regular season game. But because of the loss being a loss, whenever it comes, people will analyze it. That's just what people do. No championship is won in the regular season. Playoffs is the stretch were you have to win every game to win a chip.

We are 9-0 ; about to be 10-0. Whatever happens in the regular season after a 10-0 start, you really don't have two much to beef about. After you get to 10-0, your just trying to get through this with a few more wins and no major injuries.

This is true.
Some will wait for a postseason loss, and act like if we only had a different coach we are guaranteed a championship. :HeadBanger:HeadBanger:HeadBanger

Northern_Blitz
11-17-2020, 06:10 AM
This is true.
Some will wait for a postseason loss, and act like if we only had a different coach we are guaranteed a championship. :HeadBanger:HeadBanger:HeadBanger

Let's hope there's no opportunity for that this year. :tt2

feltdizz
11-17-2020, 07:49 AM
Playoffs is the stretch were you have to win every game to win a chip.

this dude dropping gems in here... lmao.

hawaiiansteel
11-17-2020, 12:24 PM
This is true.

yup, they're hiding in the bushes just dying for a chance to come out.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-17-2020, 12:45 PM
yup, they're hiding in the bushes just dying for a chance to come out.

I have no problem with the valid arguments against Tomlin, but as someone with a math background I also say that the sample size is not statistically relevant and you can't look at the numbers without looking at the individual situations.

Going off of memory, there are several of those games that had significant factors to consider. going by memory and not doing any research at the moment...

In the overtime loss to the Broncos IIRC the injuries were so bad that there were only three Dlinemen for almost the entire game and two IIRC were little used backups. RC was not there due to his blood issues and I believe there was more. So while the Steelers took that game to OT, I recall that we all knew that this shell of a team was not going to even compete the following week if they won.

IIRC there were several games in which Bell was injured either during the game or the week before. Again, not an excuse for losing but not something that you can always lay at the feet of the HC.

Ben leading off with turnovers against the Jags, played lights out the rest of the game but team started off from behind and the D could not stop a thing.

The two things that all of these games have as a tying thread is that MT was the head coach and Ben was the QB. I don't understand why the finger of failure is only pointed at one of them.

On another note, I'd be more open to inexplicable losses to bad teams in season. Why is it that there is so much (legitimate) talk about fear of losing to a one win Jacksonville team this weekend? In so many of those games the team came out without the desire to compete from the opening kickoff. Typically on the road. In games that are not against playoff teams but teams fighting for the top overall pick the following year. I'd rather here that argument.

Northern_Blitz
11-17-2020, 12:57 PM
I have no problem with the valid arguments against Tomlin, but as someone with a math background I also say that the sample size is not statistically relevant and you can't look at the numbers without looking at the individual situations.

Going off of memory, there are several of those games that had significant factors to consider. going by memory and not doing any research at the moment...

In the overtime loss to the Broncos IIRC the injuries were so bad that there were only three Dlinemen for almost the entire game and two IIRC were little used backups. RC was not there due to his blood issues and I believe there was more. So while the Steelers took that game to OT, I recall that we all knew that this shell of a team was not going to even compete the following week if they won.

IIRC there were several games in which Bell was injured either during the game or the week before. Again, not an excuse for losing but not something that you can always lay at the feet of the HC.

Ben leading off with turnovers against the Jags, played lights out the rest of the game but team started off from behind and the D could not stop a thing.

The two things that all of these games have as a tying thread is that MT was the head coach and Ben was the QB. I don't understand why the finger of failure is only pointed at one of them.

On another note, I'd be more open to inexplicable losses to bad teams in season. Why is it that there is so much (legitimate) talk about fear of losing to a one win Jacksonville team this weekend? In so many of those games the team came out without the desire to compete from the opening kickoff. Typically on the road. In games that are not against playoff teams but teams fighting for the top overall pick the following year. I'd rather here that argument.

Yep.

Maybe we should have 7 game series in the playoffs so that the better team would win more often (although then the Bus probably doesn't get a ring).

If you understand the math, "He doesn't win the playoffs enough" isn't much different than "he doesn't flip heads in a row enough". Playoff games are against other good teams and there usually aren't overwhelming favorites.

Even games with favorites are probably more like 60 - 40 than 80 - 20 or something.

Chance (or good bounces if you prefer) matters a lot in single game elimination tournaments.

If you want to look at playoff records, do it across careers and compare between coaches with similar tenures with similar quality QBs. Personally, I'd exclude teams with good QBs on rookie deals if I was trying to isolate coaching success because good QBs that are cheap give such a massive advantage in roster construction in the NFL.

flippy
11-17-2020, 01:10 PM

Math says Tomlin will never win a SuperBowl again.

Flippy says he will.

Sometimes gut > math when it comes to being a fanatic.

F math a little even though I like math too and hear your point :)

flippy
11-17-2020, 05:18 PM
Great video. Dude watches "Glee".
I never knew that. :)

Actually a great video.

Agreed. I finally got a chance to watch this video and I like his Tony Dungy comparison to Jim Brown. Some running back passes Jim Brown in rushing every year, but none of them are Jim Brown.

That's what I really like about Tomlin. He's humble. He doesn't take himself too seriously. He's got big goals and aspirations, but he likes what he does and just seems to want to go to work.

This is the reason I considered writing him in for president. From all we know, I like him better as a person than a coach.

Captain Lemming
11-18-2020, 09:09 AM
Agreed. I finally got a chance to watch this video and I like his Tony Dungy comparison to Jim Brown. Some running back passes Jim Brown in rushing every year, but none of them are Jim Brown.

That's what I really like about Tomlin. He's humble. He doesn't take himself too seriously. He's got big goals and aspirations, but he likes what he does and just seems to want to go to work.

This is the reason I considered writing him in for president. From all we know, I like him better as a person than a coach.

I think he is an excellent (but not great) coach.

Reason?
Same reason you wanted to write him in. Dude has "leader" coming out the pores. Team buys what he sells. Listen in interviews players quote him even sound like him (if you will).

I think Brown and Bell were outliers.

I actually think he would be an even better college coach. As much as fans diss his coachspeak, he is a master communicator.

Whether it is parents or kids, he would be a recruiting beast without peer.

feltdizz
11-18-2020, 12:56 PM

Reason?
Same reason you wanted to write him in. Dude has "leader" coming out the pores. Team buys what he sells. Listen in interviews players quote him even sound like him (if you will).

I actually think he would be an even better college coach. As much as fans diss his coachspeak, he is a master communicator.

when we look back it’s going to be crazy seeing how so many Steeler fans didn’t think Tomlin was a great coach.

Of course it’s all based on comparing him to the Pats dynasty run but put him up against any other coach not named Billicheat and Tomlin has the hardware and the record to compete with any of them.

hawaiiansteel
11-19-2020, 01:29 AM
Ike Taylor Says Mike Tomlin’s ‘Been Flying Under The Radar For Years’ And It’s ‘About Time’ Media Gives Him His Due

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/11/ike-taylor-says-mike-tomlins-been-flying-under-the-radar-for-years-and-its-about-time-media-gives-him-his-due/

NorthCoast
11-19-2020, 08:33 AM
Here are the top ten coach and quarterback tandems... and #7 is still writing their history!

1.Bill Belichick and Tom Brady, New England Patriots

Years – 18 (2000-2017)

Regular Season Record – 196-55, .781%

Postseason Record – 25-9, .735%

Division Championships – 15

Conference Championships – 7

Super Bowl/League Championships – 5

2.Paul Brown and Otto Graham, Cleveland Browns (AAFC/NFL)

Years – 10 (1946-1955)

Regular Season Record – 105-17-4, .861%

Postseason Record – 9-3, .750%

Division Championships – N/A*

Conference Championships – 10

Super Bowl/League Championships – 7

3.Vince Lombardi and Bart Starr, Green Bay Packers

Years – 9 (1959-1967)

Regular Season Record – 77-23-4, .770%

Postseason Record – 9-1-0, .900%

Conference Championships – 6

4.Chuck Noll and Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh Steelers

Years – 14 (1970-1983)

Regular Season Record – 107-51-0, .677%

Postseason Record – 14-5-0, .737%

Division Championships – 8

Conference Championships – 4

Super Bowl/League Championships – 4

5.Tom Landry and Roger Staubach, Dallas Cowboys

Years – 11 (1969-1979)

Regular Season Record – 85-29-0, .736%

Postseason Record – 13-7-0, .650%

Conference Championships – 5

Super Bowl Championships – 2

6.Bill Walsh and Joe Montana, San Francisco 49ers

Years 10 (1979-1988

Regular Season Record – 75-36-0, .676%

Postseason Record – 10-4-0, .714%

Division Championships – 6

Conference Championships – 3

Super Bowl Championships – 3

7.Mike Tomlin and Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers

Years – 11 (2007-2017)

Regular Season Record – 106-32-0, .768%

Postseason Record – 8-6-0, .571%

Conference Championships – 2

Super Bowl Championships – 1

8.Don Shula and Dan Marino, Miami Dolphins

Years – 13 (1983-1995)

Regular Season Record – 116-68-0, .630%

Postseason Record – 6-7-0, .462%

Division Championships – 5

Conference Championships – 1

Super Bowl Championships – 0

9.Marv Levy and Jim Kelly, Buffalo Bills

Years – 11 (1986-1996)

Regular Season Record – 99-52-0, .656%

Postseason Record – 9-8-0, .529%

10.Tony Dungy and Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts

Years – 7 (2002-2008

Regular Season Record – 85-27-0, .758%

Postseason Record – 7-6-0, .538%

Northern_Blitz
11-19-2020, 09:06 AM
Here are the top ten coach and quarterback tandems... and #7 is still writing their history!

1.Bill Belichick and Tom Brady, New England Patriots

Years – 18 (2000-2017)

Regular Season Record – 196-55, .781%

Postseason Record – 25-9, .735%

Division Championships – 15

Conference Championships – 7

Super Bowl/League Championships – 5

2.Paul Brown and Otto Graham, Cleveland Browns (AAFC/NFL)

Years – 10 (1946-1955)

Regular Season Record – 105-17-4, .861%

Postseason Record – 9-3, .750%

Conference Championships – 10

3.Vince Lombardi and Bart Starr, Green Bay Packers

Years – 9 (1959-1967)

Regular Season Record – 77-23-4, .770%

Postseason Record – 9-1-0, .900%

Conference Championships – 6

4.Chuck Noll and Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh Steelers

Years – 14 (1970-1983)

Regular Season Record – 107-51-0, .677%

Postseason Record – 14-5-0, .737%

Super Bowl/League Championships – 4

5.Tom Landry and Roger Staubach, Dallas Cowboys

Years – 11 (1969-1979)

Regular Season Record – 85-29-0, .736%

Postseason Record – 13-7-0, .650%

Conference Championships – 5

Super Bowl Championships – 2

6.Bill Walsh and Joe Montana, San Francisco 49ers

Years 10 (1979-1988

Regular Season Record – 75-36-0, .676%

Postseason Record – 10-4-0, .714%

Conference Championships – 3

Super Bowl Championships – 3

7.Mike Tomlin and Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers

Years – 11 (2007-2017)

Regular Season Record – 106-32-0, .768%

Postseason Record – 8-6-0, .571%

Conference Championships – 2

8.Don Shula and Dan Marino, Miami Dolphins

Years – 13 (1983-1995)

Regular Season Record – 116-68-0, .630%

Postseason Record – 6-7-0, .462%

9.Marv Levy and Jim Kelly, Buffalo Bills

Years – 11 (1986-1996)

Regular Season Record – 99-52-0, .656%

Postseason Record – 9-8-0, .529%

10.Tony Dungy and Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts

Years – 7 (2002-2008

Regular Season Record – 85-27-0, .758%

Postseason Record – 7-6-0, .538%

That's a great find (or maybe some interesting research you did?)

Would be interesting to see some other current guys. S. Peyton and DB is one we've talked about on here. Anyone have other tandems they'd like to see?

Is there a link?

Oviedo
11-19-2020, 10:10 AM

Reason?

I think Tomlin's leadership is what sets him apart from other coaches and makes him great. He is dealing with a different type of athlete and environment than some of the "legends" like Noll. Free agency means the locker room is always in flux and you have to get many more people buying in. No one is better at getting everyone pulling in the same direction than Tomlin.

I'd love us to be 16-0 and it would be largely due to Tomlin

feltdizz
11-19-2020, 11:37 AM

We had Isaac Redman as our starting RB in the Denver game. Ike Taylor also had his music up too loud and was abused all day. When your shutdown corner gives up like 200+ yards it’s hard to win on the road.

The Jags game is the one that gets me though. We lost to them in the regular season and Ben had 7 TO’s in 2 games vs them and somehow people thought we should’ve easily won the playoff game because the first game was an anomaly? We were in desperation mode after it was 21-0 in the first quarter. Nothing about that game suggested we were so much better than the Jags and their play against NE the next week proved they were definitely a good team and not some chumps who punk’d us.

NorthCoast
11-19-2020, 11:58 AM
That's a great find (or maybe some interesting research you did?)

Would be interesting to see some other current guys. S. Peyton and DB is one we've talked about on here. Anyone have other tandems they'd like to see?

Is there a link?sorry 'bout that... was in a rush this morning;
https://www.profootballhof.com/top-10-head-coach-and-quarterback-tandems/

Northern_Blitz
11-19-2020, 11:59 AM
We had Isaac Redman as our starting RB in the Denver game. Ike Taylor also had his music up too loud and was abused all day. When your shutdown corner gives up like 200+ yards it’s hard to win on the road.

The Jags game is the one that gets me though. We lost to them in the regular season and Ben had 7 TO’s in 2 games vs them and somehow people thought we should’ve easily won the playoff game because the first game was an anomaly? We were in desperation mode after it was 21-0 in the first quarter. Nothing about that game suggested we were so much better than the Jags and their play against NE the next week proved they were definitely a good team and not some chumps who punk’d us.

Ya, the Jags matched up very well against us that year.

And they owned Ben basically any time the game was within 10 points or so.

That D was maybe the best D I've seen in a decade or so. They were so good.

That Jags team provides a great case study of how some organizations let ego get in the way of running a team.

I think that's the real secret of what the Rooneys are doing. I think they intentionally hire early career, lower profile guys (Cowher, Tomlin, Colbert) that look like they have the skills they want. I think they look hard for guys that are humble enough to want help to win.

I don't think you get that with big name coaches or even guys like Kitchens that aren't big name, but think they're the next big thing and they want to come in and control everything.

feltdizz
11-19-2020, 12:40 PM
Ya, the Jags matched up very well against us that year.

And they owned Ben basically any time the game was within 10 points or so.

That D was maybe the best D I've seen in a decade or so. They were so good.

That Jags team provides a great case study of how some organizations let ego get in the way of running a team.

I think that's the real secret of what the Rooneys are doing. I think they intentionally hire early career, lower profile guys (Cowher, Tomlin, Colbert) that look like they have the skills they want. I think they look hard for guys that are humble enough to want help to win.

I don't think you get that with big name coaches or even guys like Kitchens that aren't big name, but think they're the next big thing and they want to come in and control everything.

Tom Coughlin didn’t help things. He brought his strict fining philosophy to Jacksonville and tried to strong arm new players with rules that weren’t enforceable under the current NFLPA.

That stuff may work as a coach in the early 2000’s but even Tom had to adjust for their second SB run. Players said he finally relaxed and let the players have fun and actually come to meetings on time instead of 5 minutes early.

They drafted and acquired some big talent with big personalities and these guys just tapped out instead of buying in.

hawaiiansteel
11-20-2020, 01:20 PM
Ebron Says Steelers Have Bulletproof Environment: ‘This Organization Is Ran To Win’

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/11/ebron-says-steelers-have-bulletproof-environment-this-organization-is-ran-to-win/

flippy
11-20-2020, 02:18 PM
Ebron Says Steelers Have Bulletproof Environment: ‘This Organization Is Ran To Win’

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/11/ebron-says-steelers-have-bulletproof-environment-this-organization-is-ran-to-win/

It seems like there's so many high quality guys in our locker room and I'd put Ebron near the top of that list because he always looks like the happiest guy in the world.

I worry about the hard decisions ahead because I sense there's a lot of guys that will be free agents soon that also have the contagious energy that makes the locker room better. I think they're going to have hard decisions around guys like Dupree, Juju, and Conner that go beyond football.

At some point, I also think they're going to have to consider how much value Ben has left and can they find a successor and keep the youngster surrounded by a top notch team?

Steel Maniac
11-20-2020, 02:40 PM
It seems like there's so many high quality guys in our locker room and I'd put Ebron near the top of that list because he always looks like the happiest guy in the world.

I worry about the hard decisions ahead because I sense there's a lot of guys that will be free agents soon that also have the contagious energy that makes the locker room better. I think they're going to have hard decisions around guys like Dupree, Juju, and Conner that go beyond football.

At some point, I also think they're going to have to consider how much value Ben has left and can they find a successor and keep the youngster surrounded by a top notch team?

But when is "that point"?? That's the first/maybe hardest part of the equation.

flippy
11-20-2020, 03:56 PM
But when is "that point"?? That's the first/maybe hardest part of the equation.

Its likely at least 2 years out because we have no one waiting in the wings.

And I think the team is will feel like some others guys have viable replacements for now and at least another run.

But I do think it’s something they’ll have to consider at the end of the season.

Steel Maniac
11-20-2020, 04:02 PM
Its likely at least 2 years out because we have no one waiting in the wings.

And I think the team is will feel like some others guys have viable replacements for now and at least another run.

But I do think it’s something they’ll have to consider at the end of the season.

Yeah..I knew that would be the answer but I wanted the additional input. It looks like a daunting task for us to find the QB of the future (no more so than any other team looking for a QB of the future) but
we may have to be bold (an all chips pushed to the middle of the table type of "bold") in getting our guy. Whoever he is.

I look at the Chargers and see Justin Herbert and think how lucky they were to get their guy of the future.

Northern_Blitz
11-20-2020, 04:31 PM
sorry 'bout that... was in a rush this morning;
https://www.profootballhof.com/top-10-head-coach-and-quarterback-tandems/

Thanks. I think it's an interesting list, but many of these groupings are pre-cap where maintaining a dynasty was easier because you weren't forced to let good players go if they made too much cash.

I've listed where Tomlin / Ben fit in the ranking for each category below. I scaled accomplishments like Div, Conf, and SB champs by years together to get Championships / year together. I think this is a better way to do it.

Note that while most rankings have 10 people, there are only 8 people on the Dchamp/year rankings because Brown and Lombardi coached at a time where they didn't have div. champs.

Category
Tomlin / Ben Rank
Leader

Reg. W%
4 / 10
P. Brown / Otto G.

Post W%
7 / 10
Lombardi / Starr

Dchamp/year
7 / 8
Billy B / T Brady

Cchamp/year
8 / 10
Brown / Otto G.

SB / year
8 / 10
Lombardi / Starr

So, Tomlin and Ben are firmly in the bottom 3rd of the 10 Best Coach / QB pairings of all time per this ranking.

Not the best ever. But I think it's still impressive given the cap era. There's clearly a baby in the bath water here.

Not surprisingly Bill / Tom beat Tomlin / Ben in all categories. I think it's safe to say that they are better in both categories (coach and QB).

The other cap-era tandem (Dungy / Manning) were worse in all categories except Dchamps/year (1 more div champ in 4 fewer years) and SBs / year (same SBs but fewer years).

My next post will have a chart with modern era guys. Those on the list (Billy B, Tomlin, Dungy) and those that aren't (Carroll, Payton, and I'll put Cowher's whole career on there even though it's a mismash of QBs). Don't know the results yet, but they'll be posted here.

Northern_Blitz
11-20-2020, 04:32 PM
Tandem
Years
W%
Rk
PS%
Rk
Dchp
Dchp/yr
Rk
Cchp
Cchp/year
Rk
SB
SB/yr
Rk

Belli/Brady

Tomlin/Ben

Carroll/Wilson

Payton/Brees

Cowher/Various

I think that this pretty much says that Tomlin / Ben are the next best thing to Bellicheat / Brady.

There's an argument that Carroll & Wilson are 2nd (pushing our guys to 3rd). But, I think that the reason that Carroll and Wilson did better (in PS%, Cchamp%, and SB%) is because they were on "easy mode" when Wilson was on his rookie contract. That's about 50% of their time. Ben and Tomlin never had that luxury and still have the same number of CChamps and SB Wins (but in 3 more years).

I didn't include any 2020 numbers, which would slightly increase our W%.

I don't think regular season stuff we've done so far would affect the rankings.

But a CChamp and a SB win would put our boys in 2nd in all the rankings here (although not Conf Champs / year if the Hawks also won the NFC).

Let's hope that's the situation we find ourselves in.

If people have other names they'd like to put on the list, I'll try to add them (particularly if you can provide the raw data).

Maybe Caughlin & E Manning? They'll be 2nd in SBs / year. But probably lower in all the other categories. They were pretty boom or bust (at least that's my perception as someone who doesn't follow the Giants). Maybe an interesting choice for fans. Would you rather a team that wasn't good often, but won SBs 2x? Or would you rather a team that was consistently good and won a SB 1x?

I'd choose the latter. Especially since it was preceded by another great run of consistent competitive play that also gave us a ring (Cowher era).

Maybe a more difficult question for me would be Steelers vs. Pats in the cap era. Better to have been consistent all the way through with 2 SBs? Or mostly crappy for the fist decade or so and amazing for the second decade and a half or so.

Harder to answer, and I can't bring myself to pick against us for the Pats* so I'll go Steelers.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-20-2020, 06:37 PM

Went a few years ago when the Steelers played in Detroit. Ebron was the universal goat among the fan base. He went from complete whipping boy on a bad team to solid starter on a championship caliber team.

Now we know why he looks like the happiest guy in the world. Second happiest should be Williamson.

Northern_Blitz
11-20-2020, 07:18 PM
Went a few years ago when the Steelers played in Detroit. Ebron was the universal goat among the fan base. He went from complete whipping boy on a bad team to solid starter on a championship caliber team.

Now we know why he looks like the happiest guy in the world. Second happiest should be Williamson.

Ya.

While I think we have to take what current (and former) players say with a grain of salt, it seems pretty obvious that guys who come from teams with terrible track records would love playing in Pittsburgh.

Steel Maniac
11-20-2020, 08:07 PM

Ebron has had a rare opportunity to go from one of the worst ran organizations ( Lions) to an organization that expects to win. He sees the difference in culture. From the outhouse to the penthouse.

feltdizz
11-20-2020, 10:40 PM

He dropped a lot of passes in Detroit. I was a bit scared he would have that issue in Pittsburgh. Thankfully it seems like he’s worked on his hands.

I think it’s also because every week for the last 10 years Detroit games always come down to the last drive. Drops are magnified in those instances.

NJ-STEELER
11-21-2020, 05:54 PM

there was 1 turnover (INT) that led to a 21-0 jax lead. they drove the length of the field for their 1st TD and 60 yards for their 3rd TD.

after beating us earlier in the year in Pittburgh, perhaps the head coach should not go on TV and tell a national audience that they're always looking forward to a New England- pittsburgh match up

do you think that might have played a factor in jax having a great start to the game?

hawaiiansteel
11-21-2020, 06:50 PM
there was 1 turnover (INT) that led to a 21-0 jax lead. they drove the length of the field for their 1st TD and 60 yards for their 3rd TD.

after beating us earlier in the year in Pittburgh, perhaps the head coach should not go on TV and tell a national audience that they're always looking forward to a New England- pittsburgh match up

do you think that might have played a factor in jax having a great start to the game?

yeah, that wasn't smart to not properly focus on the game and to give Jax bulletin board material.

whisper
11-22-2020, 12:51 AM

Well, not sure if it made a difference but not a smart thing to say. I don't think he'd say something like that now. He's grown.

Captain Lemming
11-22-2020, 01:07 AM

Question NJ.
What did his quote have to with disrespecting the Jags?

whisper
11-22-2020, 03:11 AM
Question NJ.
What did his quote have to with disrespecting the Jags?

Well, one could take it that he's already thinking about the Pats, so......

Northern_Blitz
11-22-2020, 07:53 AM

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the comment was before the playoffs when we didn't know we were playing the Jags yet.

It was a while ago though, so may be misrembering.

NorthCoast
11-22-2020, 08:50 AM
He dropped a lot of passes in Detroit. I was a bit scared he would have that issue in Pittsburgh. Thankfully it seems like he’s worked on his hands.

I think it’s also because every week for the last 10 years Detroit games always come down to the last drive. Drops are magnified in those instances.Detroit is a real enigma. I've been to a bunch of Lions games over the years courtesy of my wife's job perks (and no, she couldn't get Steeler tix :(). They seem to have all the pieces at times, good QB in Stafford, but can never seem to put it all together.

Captain Lemming
11-23-2020, 01:46 AM

He WAS thinking about the Pats as he SHOULD have been.
It was before we played them in the regular season.
I would suggest thinking about the Pats would be quite appropriate.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the comment was before the playoffs when we didn't know we were playing the Jags yet.

It was a while ago though, so may be misrembering.

We have a winner!

You are not wrong.
Merely humble enough to consider the possibility of being wrong. :)

Fact?
Tomlin made the quote in NOVEMBER.
Like THIS time in the season.

The topic was the Patriots, in advance of the regular season game against the Patriots.
His point was that in order to get where they wanted to get (the Superbowl) ...they needed to go through the Pats. AND HE WAS CORRECT. Any team would need to do that.

At that point we didn't even know who was gonna be in the playoffs nevermind disrespecting the Jags.

It would be like having KC on Thursday this week and saying something similar about the likelihood of having to go through this weeks opponent Kansas City, in the playoffs in a month.

Is something said THIS WEEK a bulletin board level dis of say the Dolphins come playoff time?

Steel Maniac
11-23-2020, 02:34 AM
Detroit is a real enigma. I've been to a bunch of Lions games over the years courtesy of my wife's job perks (and no, she couldn't get Steeler tix :(). They seem to have all the pieces at times, good QB in Stafford, but can never seem to put it all together.

They looked pathetic today.

feltdizz
11-23-2020, 09:26 AM
Detroit is a real enigma. I've been to a bunch of Lions games over the years courtesy of my wife's job perks (and no, she couldn't get Steeler tix :(). They seem to have all the pieces at times, good QB in Stafford, but can never seem to put it all together.

I’m surprised Stafford has lasted this long in Detroit. He does everything but win games. I thought he would get the Phillip Rivers treatment by now.

hawaiiansteel
11-23-2020, 01:27 PM
Mike Tomlin has funny quote about Steelers' perfect record

Grey Papke, Larry Brown Sports

The Pittsburgh Steelers moved to 10-0 with a blowout win over the Jacksonville Jaguars on Sunday, but don’t expect coach Mike Tomlin to be satisfied with that.

Tomlin acknowledged his team’s perfect record, but made clear that he thinks the team has a lot of work to do to maintain it.

“It wasn’t perfect, but nothing is perfect about us except our record,” Tomlin said, via Brooke Pryor of ESPN.

Tomlin’s refusal to rest on his team’s laurels is probably a big part of the reason they are still perfect. The Steelers played an outstanding game Sunday, but coming against the 1-9 Jaguars, it has to be taken in context.

Tomlin’s attitude has been unwavering even as his team keeps piling up wins. If anyone thought the Steelers would let up, this Tomlin quote from during the week was an indication otherwise. Don’t expect his attitude to change anytime soon.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/mike-tomlin-has-funny-quote-about-steelers-perfect-record/ar-BB1bg9xb

flippy
11-24-2020, 07:40 AM
Tomlin acknowledged his team’s perfect record, but made clear that he thinks the team has a lot of work to do to maintain it.

“It wasn’t perfect, but nothing is perfect about us except our record,” Tomlin said.

The funny thing about Tomlin saying that is that Tomlin agrees with his critics.

Tomlin isn’t ready to anoint himself a paper champion like his most passionate supporters. He’s not satisfied with 10-0 and sees all the warts we should all see to.

As Tomlin likes to point out, the Steelers have miles to go before they sleep.

if you pay attention to Mike between game days, he’s very critical of himself. And you might even be able to argue that Tomlin’s “critics” are in fact his biggest supporters just repeating what Tomlin says. They’re the good soldiers just like his players.

Carry on. Get us to 19-0 :)

hawaiiansteel
11-26-2020, 02:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBnCGRpGkss

hawaiiansteel
11-27-2020, 01:49 PM
Mike Tomlin Cancels Steelers Friday Practice

Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin is canceling his team's Friday practice as the club awaits further information regarding its rescheduled Sunday game against the Baltimore Ravens, NFL Network's Aditi Kinkhabwala reported. The team later announced the news.

NFL league officials are set to meet later Friday to discuss the Ravens situation amid a COVID-19 outbreak. Pittsburgh might still elect to practice Friday if the league decides Sunday's game is definitely on, though that decision might not be made Friday as the latest test results are not set to come in until the evening, Kinkhabwala added.

Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson was one of four Ravens players to test positive for COVID-19 on Thanksgiving, per NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport, and the league is awaiting contact tracing information following the positive tests.

On Friday morning, Rapoport reported the game is still scheduled to be played, but the league's concern is high-risk close contacts and if the Ravens have issues "buttoned up" or if it will continue to spread and that will ultimately determine if the game is played on Sunday or sometime in the future beyond that.

https://www.nfl.com/news/mike-tomlin-canceling-friday-practice-while-steelers-wait-for-further-word-on-su

whisper
11-27-2020, 03:48 PM

The Matt Millen era was bat crazy. And no coach can find success there. I smell an ownership problem. And when you have TWO Hall of Famers retire early....rather than play there...something is amiss.

feltdizz
11-28-2020, 11:48 AM
The Matt Millen era was bat crazy. And no coach can find success there. I smell an ownership problem. And when you have TWO Hall of Famers retire early....rather than play there...something is amiss.

Jim Caldwell coached there for 4 years and they made the playoffs twice.

Jim Caldwell was 3-1 on Thanksgiving.

Ownership said 9-7 wasn’t good enough so they fired him for Matt Patricia.

Reminds me of Chicago and Levy Smith.

That’s what you get when you place unrealistic expectations on certain head coaches. This article sums up the Lions ownership.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/nfl-thanksgiving-lions-jim-caldwell-matt-patricia

hawaiiansteel
11-28-2020, 03:54 PM
This article sums up the Lions ownership.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/nfl-thanksgiving-lions-jim-caldwell-matt-patricia

the Lions just fired Matt Patricia and their GM.

fordfixer
11-28-2020, 05:05 PM
the Lions just fired Matt Patricia and their GM.
Shocking :shock:

hawaiiansteel
11-28-2020, 05:23 PM
Shocking :shock:

long overdue, the way the Lions played on Thanksgiving was the final straw.

maybe Belicheat will take Patricia back...

NorthCoast
11-30-2020, 11:59 AM
I’m surprised Stafford has lasted this long in Detroit. He does everything but win games. I thought he would get the Phillip Rivers treatment by now.Step one; fire the coach (yet another failed BB assistant).

hawaiiansteel
12-21-2020, 10:36 PM
You were saying???

I know you're happy...

Ernie
12-21-2020, 10:40 PM
Wheels falling off of a 11-2 football team.

Steel Maniac
12-21-2020, 11:09 PM

No huddle has worked more times than not.

Buzz
12-22-2020, 12:31 AM
Wheels falling off of a 11-2 football team.

Make that 11-3