PDA

View Full Version : Well, That Game ...

Buzz
11-15-2019, 12:45 AM
was ugly. I guess that will temper some of the lofty expectations for this season that were starting to rise up.

Mr.wizard
11-15-2019, 12:53 AM
Mason Rudolph has a long way to go, people can post Ben's stats vs Mason's stats all they want, he looks terrible out there. and now what was left of our offense is all injured.

Ernie
11-15-2019, 12:56 AM
Mason Rudolph has a long way to go, people can post Ben's stats vs Mason's stats all they want, he looks terrible out there. and now what was left of our offense is all injured.

i know that was directed at me. its apples v oranges at this point whiz... and no, im not defending rudolph at this point. they all sucked ass tonight

SidSmythe
11-15-2019, 01:02 AM
What did we expect from this year really??

I will take away one thing from this season...the resurgence of the Defense.
AND Rudolph isn't a bust (yet).

Steelwolf
11-15-2019, 01:09 AM

Damn close to being one and what was he thinking going after a man 3 times his size lol

Oh wow
11-15-2019, 01:11 AM
We got beat up tonight.

Steel Maniac
11-15-2019, 01:34 AM

That’s what I’ve been saying; those are the only things we need to focus on.

Buzz
11-15-2019, 01:53 AM
Damn close to being one and what was he thinking going after a man 3 times his size lol

Scary thing is, he came closer to beating Garrett in that fight than he did to leading our offense to victory

NJ-STEELER
11-15-2019, 02:16 AM
best thing mason did tonight was his text book tackle saving a TD on one of the INTs he threw.

he's definitely better then ben on that. no shoe string tackles with MR : )

Captain Lemming
11-15-2019, 03:24 AM

1. Made sure he doesn't play us again.
2. Weakened the Brown team overall, helping our odds.

Quite clever when you think about it. :)

Northern_Blitz
11-15-2019, 06:24 AM
was ugly. I guess that will temper some of the lofty expectations for this season that were starting to rise up.

Yep.

O still sucks (although everyone was injured).

We need 3 to 5 turnovers and D TDs to win against teams with good talent.

But I'd probably worth remembering that road teams on Thursday stunt do well. Maybe not as bad as we looked last night on O?

Glad we have 10 days to try to get healthy.

Mr.wizard
11-15-2019, 07:22 AM
Yep.

O still sucks (although everyone was injured).

We need 3 to 5 turnovers and D TDs to win against teams with good talent.

But I'd probably worth remembering that road teams on Thursday stunt do well. Maybe not as bad as we looked last night on O?

Glad we have 10 days to try to get healthy.

I don't think we "need" all of those turnovers to beat teams hell despite missing Conner, Juju, and Johnson, we still were only down a score. We had plenty of opportunities to win that game, what we "need" is better QB play.

NorthCoast
11-15-2019, 07:34 AM
There were guys playing on offense that were literally on the practice squad or not on a roster 2 days ago.
Rudolph is no miracle worker. Amazed they even scored.

Mr.wizard
11-15-2019, 07:40 AM
There were guys playing on offense that were literally on the practice squad or not on a roster 2 days ago.

That's no excuse for mis-reading the defenses and throwing into coverage for INT's. That's also no excuse for being so inaccurate and under throwing open receivers consistently. If he was out there playing well and not getting help I would agree with you, but he was just flat out bad.

whatever
11-15-2019, 07:41 AM
This loss wasn't much different from our wins.

NorthCoast
11-15-2019, 08:03 AM
That's no excuse for mis-reading the defenses and throwing into coverage for INT's. That's also no excuse for being so inaccurate and under throwing open receivers consistently. If he was out there playing well and not getting help I would agree with you, but he was just flat out bad.

What is an excuse is that OL.

I'm not sold one way or another on Rudolph, but he wasn't supported much last night.

RobinCole
11-15-2019, 08:18 AM
The OL played like ass all night. Foster in particular is done. Put in BJ Finney and give Foster his release. Start preparing for next year. This season is over.

NorthCoast
11-15-2019, 08:41 AM
The OL played like ass all night. Foster in particular is done. Put in BJ Finney and give Foster his release. Start preparing for next year. This season is over.

Add 'Woop Goes Another Snap' Pouncey to that list. His play has been below the line.
Starting to wonder how much Roethlisberger was covering for poor OL play.

Sword
11-15-2019, 08:54 AM

I agree, with this...he did have some good throws that were dropped....The OL was not good tonight either.....We have almost no good talent on Offense....nobody....
Our receivers suck for the most part...Unless we have a second elite WR ...Juju will be doubled up every time....

RobinCole
11-15-2019, 08:56 AM
Maybe it’s just me but it seems like there are more “knocked out cold” concussions now than before the league started its crackdown.

Northern_Blitz
11-15-2019, 09:02 AM
I don't think we "need" all of those turnovers to beat teams hell despite missing Conner, Juju, and Johnson, we still were only down a score. We had plenty of opportunities to win that game, what we "need" is better QB play.

I don't know. Without those things, we probably only beat the Bengals this year.

Our O was bad before and last night everyone got hurt so we had the back ups to the guys that aren't that good.

I think going forward MR will see lots of overload blitzes. He doesn't make decisions quickly and I think teams will force the issue.

And what's the downside? A deep pass to Holton that goes incomplete?

Oh wow
11-15-2019, 09:11 AM
Everyone is bad on offense.

No bright spots.

Every time I think Mason is improving he turns around and reminds me why he didn’t get drafted earlier. Dude is stiff as hell.

NorthCoast
11-15-2019, 09:46 AM
I don't know. Without those things, we probably only beat the Bengals this year.

Our O was bad before and last night everyone got hurt so we had the back ups to the guys that aren't that good.

I think going forward MR will see lots of overload blitzes. He doesn't make decisions quickly and I think teams will force the issue.

And what's the downside? A deep pass to Holton that goes incomplete?

Yea,... Holton...scary receiver said no one ever.

Oh wow
11-15-2019, 10:26 AM
Without this D we are probably 1-8 or even winless.

The O has been that bad lately. Seemed to get worse the more they play.

Northern_Blitz
11-15-2019, 10:33 AM

I don't think Duck is the QB of the future. I actually don't think MR is the QB of the future either since I think Ben plays to the end of this contract (and maybe even beyond).

But could the O really be worse if we put him in?

If we count the TD scored after MRs INT put the Browns on the 4 as being against the O, they're +1 point in 2 games:

Points for 17 (2 TDs, 1 FG)
Points against 16 (2 TDs, 1 S)

This is in a era when everything favors offenses.

It's certainly not all his fault (no running game and WR drops), but he doesn't seem to be good at going through progressions and making quick decisions.

Lots of road games coming up.

We'll see what Mason does (because I don't think we'll sit him down).

Northern_Blitz
11-15-2019, 10:37 AM

I think we win that game against the Bengals even with an average D.

But, we lose all the games after that if the D isn't basically spectacular in all of them. And they were all basically home games given the crowd in LA.

We're away in 4 of the next 6 (home against CLE and BUF).

I didn't expect us to win last night, but I thought the O would be able to do something to keep it closer.

Oh wow
11-15-2019, 10:44 AM
I don't think Duck is the QB of the future. I actually don't think MR is the QB of the future either since I think Ben plays to the end of this contract (and maybe even beyond).

But could the O really be worse if we put him in?

If we count the TD scored after MRs INT put the Browns on the 4 as being against the O, they're +1 point in 2 games:

Points for 17 (2 TDs, 1 FG)
Points against 16 (2 TDs, 1 S)

This is in a era when everything favors offenses.

It's certainly not all his fault (no running game and WR drops), but he doesn't seem to be good at going through progressions and making quick decisions.

Lots of road games coming up.

We'll see what Mason does (because I don't think we'll sit him down).

I knew this year would be ugly once Ben went down.

But not this ugly.

Guys are going down left and right. Not sure anyone could do much better given what we had on offense but I would like to see some swagger from the QB position.

While I don’t think Duck is the future he may give the team new energy.

At least he breaks to pocket and gives himself some throwing lanes.

Mason just stands there and expects everyone to disappear from the pocket.

NorthCoast
11-15-2019, 12:27 PM
Maybe it’s just me but it seems like there are more “knocked out cold” concussions now than before the league started its crackdown.

Did they say Johnson was bleeding from his ear after that helmet to helmet? That's very scary stuff.

Steel Maniac
11-15-2019, 12:29 PM
Did they say Johnson was bleeding from his ear after that helmet to helmet? That's very scary stuff.

He was bleeding from his ear.

papillon
11-15-2019, 12:32 PM

And, to stop throwing the effing "go" route on 3rd and 1 after picking up 2 consecutive 1st downs on nice intermediate passes when you're down 1 score and on the plus side (or close to it) of the 50 yard line. Get the 1st down and move on to the next play, that was about as bone-headed a play as I can remember. Yea, with Ben and a good offense, go for it, but not with a struggling quarterback, top 2 WRs out of the game and your top RB out of the game. Holy mother of all things dumb.

Pappy

NorthCoast
11-15-2019, 01:29 PM
Will the D continue to play lights out now that the Steelers have approximately 0.00002% chance to make the playoffs?

Buzz
11-15-2019, 01:33 PM

$$$$$$
wonder if he's still having negative effects from his concussion, or if this is just the way he is

whatever
11-15-2019, 01:36 PM
Will the D continue to play lights out now that the Steelers have approximately 0.00002% chance to make the playoffs?

That unit is still healthy and will keep us in games but can't really expect 3-4 turnovers and a score each week.
Our schedule is still soft.

Mr.wizard
11-15-2019, 01:40 PM
i know that was directed at me. its apples v oranges at this point whiz... and no, im not defending rudolph at this point. they all sucked ass tonight

Not directed at you in a negative way because i thought your point was valid, Ben did not arrive a superstar. But just watching Rudolph he just doesnt seem to do anything well besides look the part, so while the numbers maybe similar to Ben's, for me he doesnt pass the eye test.

NorthCoast
11-15-2019, 01:42 PM
That unit is still healthy and will keep us in games but can't really expect 3-4 turnovers and a score each week.
Our schedule is still soft.

I agree the schedule is soft. Sadly, the offense is softer. I am struggling to see a win in remaining games.

Ghost
11-15-2019, 01:51 PM
Whatever the question, Rudolph is not the answer.

Eich
11-15-2019, 03:40 PM

I was thinking about that. Even if not intentional, there's got to be a subconscious thought going on when you see such an inept offense continue to take the field. It has to be enormously deflating.

The more I think about it, the more I think the Steelers should tell Rudolph he's taking a few games off. He was concussed badly against the Rats. And last night's hit couldn't have done him any good. And he didn't exactly keep his cool, instigating the brawl.

Time to get a look at Duck. I hate to say it, but I've seen enough of Rudolph this season. He may end up being better than he's auditioned so far but I think he's hit his ceiling for this year, especially with the talent left on the offense.

Steel Maniac
11-15-2019, 05:40 PM

Last night's game was super discouraging in his development.

Oh wow
11-15-2019, 05:42 PM
I laughed...

Eich
11-15-2019, 05:57 PM
$$$$$$
wonder if he's still having negative effects from his concussion, or if this is just the way he is

Very possible. And now he just took another hit to the head with his own helmet.

A good excuse for Tomlin to say that Rudolph is going to get some rest for a few games.

Terrapin
11-15-2019, 10:08 PM
It amazes me that anyone in that organization thought Rudolph could be a legit starting QB. To go into games with him, Duck, and that scrub from Denver we signed is a disgrace. I said before, Rudolph may turn into a fine backup QB, and have a long career with a clipboard. But I've certainly seen enough to know he doesn't have 'it'.

That being said, it's certainly not all on him. Every single player on the offensive side of the ball should be humiliated. The WRs are horrible. Juju can stick to making commercials and working on his 'brand', cause he's nowhere close to a #1 WR. Washington sucks, and I've never even heard of most of those other jobbers. The line has been terrible. Vance McDonald has been MIA all year. Connor can't walk to the bathroom without injuring himself. It's just a total disaster.

Eddie Spaghetti
11-15-2019, 10:14 PM
Very possible. And now he just took another hit to the head with his own helmet.

A good excuse for Tomlin to say that Rudolph is going to get some rest for a few games.

I'm curious as to why tomlin would need an excuse to bench rudolph?

he certainly hasn't earned any special treatment by his performance

whatever
11-15-2019, 11:12 PM
I'm curious as to why tomlin would need an excuse to bench rudolph?

he certainly hasn't earned any special treatment by his performance

He drafted him and said he was first round grade QB.

Northern_Blitz
11-16-2019, 06:26 AM
He drafted him and said he was first round grade QB.

My understanding is that it was Colbert that said they had a 1st round grade on MR.

But that goes quaint the everything is Tomlin’s fault.

https://steelersdepot.com/2018/05/colbert-confirms-steelers-had-1st-round-grade-on-mason-rudolph/

steeler_george
11-16-2019, 12:29 PM

Hey Wizard, I was thinking that too, did Mason's ball placement and throws into coverage actually get our WR killed.

I am not saying he is so terrible, but some ( mos) of his throws look way off and just setting up his WRs to get killed.

steeler_george
11-16-2019, 12:38 PM
what did we expect from this year really??

I will take away one thing from this season...the resurgence of the defense.
And rudolph isn't a bust (yet).

this is post of the year!

Exactly describing the the 2019 season.

steeler_george
11-16-2019, 12:43 PM

I guess with Pouncey out we get to see what we have...

I was thinking somewhere during the Browns game, ok Tomlin take Foster out slide Feiler there and put what is his name at RT.

I am thinking that next year our OL is going to be worst. Feiler and Finney might be walking next year (FA). Pouncey and Foster will just get older.

whatever
11-16-2019, 01:27 PM
My understanding is that it was Colbert that said they had a 1st round grade on MR.

But that goes quaint the everything is Tomlin’s fault.

https://steelersdepot.com/2018/05/colbert-confirms-steelers-had-1st-round-grade-on-mason-rudolph/

I'm sure if Mason was tearing it up, it would be Tomlin that saw something special and wanted him.

Mr.wizard
11-17-2019, 06:35 AM
Hey Wizard, I was thinking that too, did Mason's ball placement and throws into coverage actually get our WR killed.

I am not saying he is so terrible, but some ( mos) of his throws look way off and just setting up his WRs to get killed.

On Juju's hit I would say that is a throw, if you're going to make it, you have to throw it low, so that is probably partially Mason's fault. On Johnsons hit I think that was just a late head shot and they were right to throw Randell out of the game.

Mr.wizard
11-17-2019, 06:36 AM
I'm sure if Mason was tearing it up, it would be Tomlin that saw something special and wanted him.

Do you ever stop?

winwithd
11-17-2019, 09:57 AM
I guess with Pouncey out we get to see what we have...

I was thinking somewhere during the Browns game, ok Tomlin take Foster out slide Feiler there and put what is his name at RT.

I am thinking that next year our OL is going to be worst. Feiler and Finney might be walking next year (FA). Pouncey and Foster will just get older.

I am not sure we are really missing much if Pouncey is out and Finney plays center. We might finally be able to run up the middle.

whatever
11-17-2019, 11:17 AM
Do you ever stop?

Sometimes, but I start back up when they chime in.

skyhawk
11-17-2019, 11:32 AM
best thing mason did tonight was his text book tackle saving a TD on one of the INTs he threw.

he's definitely better then ben on that. no shoe string tackles with MR : )

AND, he had 2 tackles!

Mr.wizard
11-17-2019, 11:34 AM
AND, he had 2 tackles!

Guy is just trying to pad his stats.