PDA

View Full Version : Gameplanning for the Opponent

NorthCoast
10-21-2019, 07:29 PM
Anyone catch the Will Cane show on ESPN radio this afternoon? Interviewing T Hasselbeck and discussion came around to gameplanning. Some very interesting comments from Hasselbeck which I paraphrase:

In a given week, what is the typical amount of new plays inserted for an opponent?: "probably not more than 20%, and less than 10% would be new new plays, meaning plays never before used in the season"

What is the maximum amount of changed plays for an opponent in a given week? "probably not more than 50%"

Of course, NE is the benchmark for gameplanning for an opponent but I didn't catch what he had to say about them.

Guess I am a little surprise by these comments because I really didn't have a sense of how much gameplanning really occurs vs a team "doing what they do".

BURGH86STEEL
10-21-2019, 07:54 PM
Time is limited for coaches and players. A limited amount of time to watch film, game plan, and practice what players do well.

SidSmythe
10-22-2019, 07:34 AM
What I wanna know is - do (or why don't they) teams having an internal scouting dept. that scouts themselves??
I would!!

ikestops85
10-22-2019, 01:30 PM
I would think they at least would have analytics on their tendencies but I doubt they scout themselves. It does sound like a good idea to me if they don't.

Steel Maniac
10-22-2019, 02:21 PM
Time is limited for coaches and players. A limited amount of time to watch film, game plan, and practice what players do well.

Doesn't seem to bother Hoody. They played last nite on Monday nite and have to turn right around and get ready for the Browns.

BURGH86STEEL
10-22-2019, 02:53 PM
Doesn't seem to bother Hoody. They played last nite on Monday nite and have to turn right around and get ready for the Browns.

We don't even know the approach any teams take because we are not privy to that information. Whatever the approach players need to execute on the plan and what they practice.

The Pats approach hasn't always worked out well. They've also been fortunate and lucky over the years.

They also have a QB that's gotten the team out of plenty of jams with his ability to execute when that team needed it.

NorthCoast
10-23-2019, 12:50 PM
We don't even know the approach any teams take because we are not privy to that information. Whatever the approach players need to execute on the plan and what they practice.

The Pats approach hasn't always worked out well. They've also been fortunate and lucky over the years.

They also have a QB that's gotten the team out of plenty of jams with his ability to execute when that team needed it.

It's the unanswerable question, is it the coach or the QB? Their histories are permanently linked so the world may never know.

Northern_Blitz
10-23-2019, 02:12 PM
Anyone catch the Will Cane show on ESPN radio this afternoon? Interviewing T Hasselbeck and discussion came around to gameplanning. Some very interesting comments from Hasselbeck which I paraphrase:

In a given week, what is the typical amount of new plays inserted for an opponent?: "probably not more than 20%, and less than 10% would be new new plays, meaning plays never before used in the season"

What is the maximum amount of changed plays for an opponent in a given week? "probably not more than 50%"

Of course, NE is the benchmark for gameplanning for an opponent but I didn't catch what he had to say about them.

Guess I am a little surprise by these comments because I really didn't have a sense of how much gameplanning really occurs vs a team "doing what they do".

I think this makes sense (although I don't know if I would have guessed it's that low).

I guess making the play book is about designing a variety of schemes that fit a variety of situations.

Then, "game planning" is maybe more about prioritizing which plays in the playbook should work better against a specific opponent?

Given our history with "communication issues" on D, it seems like putting in lots of new plays every week wouldn't work that well.

Oviedo
10-23-2019, 02:15 PM
I think it is less about gameplanning because your playbook is your playbook and you will stick to it 80% of the time as pointed out.

The difference maker is what you call when and whether you can exploit match up advanatages

NorthCoast
10-23-2019, 11:28 PM
Minkah on #Steelers defense: “We’re still keeping it simple, doing what we do, doing it well, doing it fast and executing. That’s the thing I like about here — we run what we run and we run it well. We don’t try to do too much, we don’t try to change it up too much week to week.".... interesting observation from a recent acquisition...

Steel Maniac
10-24-2019, 10:11 AM
I think it is less about gameplanning because your playbook is your playbook and you will stick to it 80% of the time as pointed out.

Bill Belichek would beg to differ..he game plans each opponent and attacks each opponent based on the perceived weaknesses of that opponent.

Steel Maniac
10-24-2019, 10:12 AM

They showed Bellichek after the Jets game, in the locker room and him saying, " Now lets get ready for the the Browns" and he and an assistant handing out the game plan for the Browns.

Northern_Blitz
10-24-2019, 12:10 PM
They showed Bellichek after the Jets game, in the locker room and him saying, " Now lets get ready for the the Browns" and he and an assistant handing out the game plan for the Browns.

But that doesn't show whether he's handing out new plays or the one's they plan to emphasize over the next week.

I also think everyone acknowledges that BB is an outlier and no one in the NFL seems to be able to mimic what they do. Even those who came from his coaching tree...I think they've all generally sucked after leaving.

NorthCoast
10-24-2019, 12:16 PM
But that doesn't show whether he's handing out new plays or the one's they plan to emphasize over the next week.

I also think everyone acknowledges that BB is an outlier and no one in the NFL seems to be able to mimic what they do. Even those who came from his coaching tree...I think they've all generally sucked after leaving.

I think Patricia is doing somewhat ok in DET, but no one is mistaking him for BB. They struggle w consistency.

flippy
10-24-2019, 12:48 PM

I would think you could have a game plan weeks ahead ready to go and just have to adjust as you get closer.

Eventually, Google quantum computing will be able to analyze every possible game plan for your next opponent between the time your game ends and the players get back to the locker room and the perfect game plan will always be ready. You won't need halftime adjustments any more. AI can adjust the plan between plays and can simulate every possibility in micro seconds.

Players will probably be able to re-genetically engineer themselves on the sidelines between plays to optimize their physical and mental capabilities to adjust to the adjusting gameplans on the fly. And eventually they won't be needed and we'll just be watching robots. But if everyone can perfectly and equally game plan and compete, what will eventually happen? Will time stop? Will it be another big bang?

In the end, we'll probably become as relevant as Mayflies, the bugs who's lifespan is measured in hours....

Oh wow
10-24-2019, 01:34 PM
I think in game adjustments and flexibility are BB’s strengths.

If the run is working, he will continue to run the ball until they stop it.

If a team struggles vs the 3-4 or 4-3? He will use whatever their weakness is until they exploit it.

All that being said, before this year we have had success against the Pats so maybe it’s not simply game planning.

Cam Newton has yet to lose to the Pats as well. BB struggles to contain him. I’m curious to see how they do against Lamar Jackson. Mahomes put up 24 points in one quarter vs the Pats.

Oh wow
10-24-2019, 01:41 PM
Also, the Jets beat the Pats when they went zone in the playoffs.

Pats players said they prepared all week for man because they never played zone.

IMO part of the reason they are so successful is because most teams don’t change what they do before they play the Pats and that’s one team you can’t go in and do the same old thing.

That’s why running the counter wasn’t successful this year. You really think they didn’t prep to fix that glaring weakness we exploited last year?

Northern_Blitz
10-24-2019, 01:54 PM

If a team struggles vs the 3-4 or 4-3? He will use whatever their weakness is until they exploit it.

All that being said, before this year we have had success against the Pats so maybe it’s not simply game planning.

Cam Newton has yet to lose to the Pats as well. BB struggles to contain him. I’m curious to see how they do against Lamar Jackson. Mahomes put up 24 points in one quarter vs the Pats.

And also cheating!

Oh wow
10-24-2019, 02:39 PM
And also cheating!

Definitely.

Win at all cost.

Still crazy how the Super Bowl MVP was suspended the same year for taking enhancement drugs.

steelz09
10-24-2019, 08:42 PM
I would think you could have a game plan weeks ahead ready to go and just have to adjust as you get closer.

Eventually, Google quantum computing will be able to analyze every possible game plan for your next opponent between the time your game ends and the players get back to the locker room and the perfect game plan will always be ready. You won't need halftime adjustments any more. AI can adjust the plan between plays and can simulate every possibility in micro seconds.

Players will probably be able to re-genetically engineer themselves on the sidelines between plays to optimize their physical and mental capabilities to adjust to the adjusting gameplans on the fly. And eventually they won't be needed and we'll just be watching robots. But if everyone can perfectly and equally game plan and compete, what will eventually happen? Will time stop? Will it be another big bang?

In the end, we'll probably become as relevant as Mayflies, the bugs who's lifespan is measured in hours....

IBM is disputing the Google quantum computing claim.

In any case, I'm in the field of "big data", data lakes, analytics, data science, machine learning, AI, etc.

I think it's much more difficult, if not impossible to do some of this effectively in the NFL. You can use AI and machine learning all day but you can't reliably predict that Pouncey will step on someone's foot, fall down, and cause a strip sack for a TD.

NorthCoast
10-24-2019, 09:00 PM

Pats players said they prepared all week for man because they never played zone.

IMO part of the reason they are so successful is because most teams don’t change what they do before they play the Pats and that’s one team you can’t go in and do the same old thing.

That’s why running the counter wasn’t successful this year. You really think they didn’t prep to fix that glaring weakness we exploited last year?

And a few years back the Steelers did the reverse and beat NE when they went mostly man, and not zone.

It's the best chance to beat them, by going away from normal tendencies.

whatever
10-24-2019, 09:33 PM

Lol....more lies.
Do you realize how easy it is to prove your ignorance?

Oh wow
10-24-2019, 09:45 PM
And a few years back the Steelers did the reverse and beat NE when they went mostly man, and not zone.

It's the best chance to beat them, by going away from normal tendencies.

Exactly. This is the biggest mistake I think most teams make when playing NE. You can’t do the same thing you always do and win. You have to throw in a wrinkle...

The only time you can line up and beat them playing your game is if you have elite talent and truly pinch them on the mouth from the first play.

Oh wow
10-24-2019, 09:46 PM
Lol....more lies.
Do you realize how easy it is to prove your ignorance?

Prove it or stfu.

It’s that simple.

Northern_Blitz
10-25-2019, 04:02 AM
IBM is disputing the Google quantum computing claim.

In any case, I'm in the field of "big data", data lakes, analytics, data science, machine learning, AI, etc.

I think it's much more difficult, if not impossible to do some of this effectively in the NFL. You can use AI and machine learning all day but you can't reliably predict that Pouncey will step on someone's foot, fall down, and cause a strip sack for a TD.

Luck is certainly important in football. That's what makes it exciting IMO because it means underdogs can win.

Especially in small samples.

Captain Lemming
10-27-2019, 12:48 PM

IMO part of the reason they are so successful is because most teams donÂ’t change what they do before they play the Pats and thatÂ’s one team you canÂ’t go in and do the same old thing.

ThatÂ’s why running the counter wasnÂ’t successful this year. You really think they didnÂ’t prep to fix that glaring weakness we exploited last year?

EXACTLY. People acted like the key to beating them was to go man. No going man helped US because it went against ur tendancies. This season they were ready.
I did a whole thread on it last year.

What is so foolish is that teams dont see the exploitable advantage this gives opponents. If you dont do what they expect they are so prepared for what you typically do, they are exposed big time.

It is precisely why on offense, Samuels has NEVER been better than that game we beat the Pats. With Conner out, and Ben leading the league in attempts, they saw our run game as a complete non-threat. They prepared for a gameplan to stop Ben with zero concerns that a 3rd string back who wasnt a productive runner even in college could hurt them.
I dont even think we planned it......it just worked.

The Pats arent supermen. They adjust to take away what you like to do better than anybody.

Teams who go away from their well established patterns, and have the personel to pull in off, have the best chance against them.

Steel Maniac
10-27-2019, 10:55 PM
EXACTLY. People acted like the key to beating them was to go man. No going man helped US because it went against ur tendancies. This season they were ready.
I did a whole thread on it last year.

What is so foolish is that teams dont see the exploitable advantage this gives opponents. If you dont do what they expect they are so prepared for what you typically do, they are exposed big time.

It is precisely why on offense, Samuels has NEVER been better than that game we beat the Pats. With Conner out, and Ben leading the league in attempts, they saw our run game as a complete non-threat. They prepared for a gameplan to stop Ben with zero concerns that a 3rd string back who wasnt a productive runner even in college could hurt them.
I dont even think we planned it......it just worked.

The Pats arent supermen. They adjust to take away what you like to do better than anybody.

Teams who go away from their well established patterns, and have the personel to pull in off, have the best chance against them.

Lot of truth in this......

whatever
10-27-2019, 11:42 PM
Prove it or stfu.

It’s that simple.

Patriots have won 6 out of the last 7.
So by all means, your statement of us having success against them is true......lol
Too easy.

Oh wow
10-28-2019, 12:00 AM
So by all means, your statement of us having success against them is true......lol
Too easy.

We beat them last year...

and the year before we appeared to beat them before the TD was overturned.
Once again you are simplifying the conversation. I never said we won a bunch of games against them.

I said before last game we had success against them.

Of course, you are a real fan so you equate success with winning the game.

The point is we didn’t have to make a ton of adjustments when we didn’t beat them and should’ve beat them. We played our game so it’s not always about changing things up.

Also have to remember when we beat them last year the real fans said the Pats were a “shell” of themselves.

Steel Maniac
10-28-2019, 12:58 AM
Too easy.

Boom...... that’s the bottom line on that. We need not mention ourselves in their zip code.

hawaiiansteel
10-28-2019, 01:22 AM
Boom...... that’s the bottom line on that. We need not mention ourselves in their zip code.

what a coincidence that you and whatever agree on everything, huh?

Oh wow
10-28-2019, 06:20 AM

Boom...

“Alexa, play we belong together by Mariah Carey”

whatever
10-28-2019, 08:33 AM
We beat them last year...

and the year before we appeared to beat them before the TD was overturned.
Once again you are simplifying the conversation. I never said we won a bunch of games against them.

I said before last game we had success against them.

Of course, you are a real fan so you equate success with winning the game.

The point is we didn’t have to make a ton of adjustments when we didn’t beat them and should’ve beat them. We played our game so it’s not always about changing things up.

Also have to remember when we beat them last year the real fans said the Pats were a “shell” of themselves.

Aren't you one of the ones always crying about moving the goal posts?
I once again provide the receipts and of course you make up some stupid angle to try to save face......fail, again.

Oh wow
10-28-2019, 08:46 AM
Aren't you one of the ones always crying about moving the goal posts?
I once again provide the receipts and of course you make up some stupid angle to try to save face......fail, again.

Posting like a Maniac.

It’s not my fault you can’t use context and understand there are layers to this conversation.

and no, I’m not the one who always points out moving the goal post. There are people in here who have ready made gifs for you guys when you move them.

I’m the guy who points out how you misquote people and run with it.

Steel Maniac
10-28-2019, 08:55 AM

Why would I need another name when I can say what I want to say with this name? Think please.

whatever
10-28-2019, 12:15 PM
Posting like a Maniac.

It’s not my fault you can’t use context and understand there are layers to this conversation.

and no, I’m not the one who always points out moving the goal post. There are people in here who have ready made gifs for you guys when you move them.

I’m the guy who points out how you misquote people and run with it.

Yawn.........

hawaiiansteel
10-28-2019, 12:40 PM
Why would I need another name when I can say what I want to say with this name? Think please.

another alias name allows you to pile on another member when you wish to bash him (e,g. Ruthless, Oh wow) and agree with you to validate "whatever" point you're trying to make.

Think please...