PDA

View Full Version : What about clock management?

whatever
10-09-2019, 12:43 PM
Didn't use a timeout to take another shot to the endzone before the half AND
then used one to ice his own kicker at then end of the 4th, thus allowing Baltimore more time to come down and tie it.

Mr.wizard
10-09-2019, 01:26 PM
Didn't use a timeout to take another shot to the endzone before the half AND
then used one to ice his own kicker at then end of the 4th, thus allowing Baltimore more time to come down and tie it.

We had no more timeouts at the end of the half, we ran a play with 7 seconds and threw the ball away, leaving 3 seconds and tjen Boswell kicked a field goal.

At the "end" of the 4th the Steelers ran a play to samuels, let the clock run down and called a timeout and kicked the go ahead field goal. Ravens got the ball with 2:37 seconds.

You either dont know what happened or you're intentionally misrepresenting what happened.

SteelerOfDeVille
10-09-2019, 02:06 PM
We had no more timeouts at the end of the half, we ran a play with 7 seconds and threw the ball away, leaving 3 seconds and tjen Boswell kicked a field goal.

At the "end" of the 4th the Steelers ran a play to samuels, let the clock run down and called a timeout and kicked the go ahead field goal. Ravens got the ball with 2:37 seconds.

You either dont know what happened or you're intentionally misrepresenting what happened.
beginning to wonder if this guy is just a troll ... LMAO

Oh wow
10-09-2019, 02:45 PM
Either he doesn’t watch the games or he just misremembers so he can bash Tomlin.

Probably both.

whatever
10-09-2019, 04:02 PM
Ok, at least they played hard......

Oviedo
10-09-2019, 04:04 PM

...at least harder than you did in your last professional game

Northern_Blitz
10-09-2019, 04:05 PM
beginning to wonder if this guy is just a troll ... LMAO

Beginning?

Oh wow
10-09-2019, 04:09 PM

Funny how the game changes when you watch with agenda goggles.

SteelerOfDeVille
10-09-2019, 04:09 PM
Beginning?
well, i've only been half paying attention... work keeping me busy - lol

Oh wow
10-09-2019, 04:10 PM

If he just watched a little harder he might actually see the game in it’s true form.

Imagine how many times these folks scream “c’mon Tomlin!!” when a player makes a mistake or a guy drops a pass.

SteelerOfDeVille
10-09-2019, 04:17 PM
If he just watched a little harder he might actually see the game in it’s true form.

Imagine how many times these folks scream “c’mon Tomlin!!” when a player makes a mistake or a guy drops a pass.
well, he's not training them hard enough in practice... fire the coach. it's his fault this guy has bad hands.

whatever
10-09-2019, 05:03 PM
Steelers had 1 timeout left in the first half and only ran 17 seconds off the clock before calling the timeout before bozs fg......
Go look it up

whatever
10-09-2019, 05:04 PM

Wtf does that have to do with anything?
Talk about weak.

Iron City Inc.
10-09-2019, 07:15 PM
I didn't think our "personnel management" at the end of the 4th was all that. We went away from nickel to dime and got run on a bit. Hargrave off the field late after he blew up Yanda for a sack , and Yanda who imho is an excellent guard, left us light in the box and Ravens ran a bunch in crunch time against that light box set getting them into fg range and that gave them the shot to tie it late.

papillon
10-09-2019, 09:03 PM
The Steelers did lose about 15 seconds of time because they didn't use the final timeout after a short pass play to about the 20 (I think). They ran the second play hurry-up, it was incomplete and Mason was roughed this left 7 seconds, they tried a quick pass then took the FG.

Wouldn't it have been better to stop the clock after the short gain to the 20 yard line and leave about 20 seconds. You can take two shots into the EZ and if unsuccessful, kick the FG. By not taking the TO, the Steelers got one real quick look at an EZ throw.

Pappy

Mr.wizard
10-09-2019, 09:52 PM
Steelers had 1 timeout left in the first half and only ran 17 seconds off the clock before calling the timeout before bozs fg......
Go look it up

No they didn't I just looked up the play-by-play, they ran a play the time ticked off, they ran another play with 12 seconds left, got a roughing penalty and then ran a play with 7 seconds that was incomplete and kicked a field goal to end the half.

Oh wow
10-09-2019, 09:52 PM
The Steelers did lose about 15 seconds of time because they didn't use the final timeout after a short pass play to about the 20 (I think). They ran the second play hurry-up, it was incomplete and Mason was roughed this left 7 seconds, they tried a quick pass then took the FG.

Wouldn't it have been better to stop the clock after the short gain to the 20 yard line and leave about 20 seconds. You can take two shots into the EZ and if unsuccessful, kick the FG. By not taking the TO, the Steelers got one real quick look at an EZ throw.

Pappy

Not sure I want Mason taking shots in the endzone from the 20.

Maybe they could’ve clocked it?

Mr.wizard
10-09-2019, 09:56 PM

Pappy

I just think the 20 is too far to limit the QB to just end zone passes, I think they wanted to have the option to throw it short of the goal line.

Mr.wizard
10-09-2019, 09:58 PM

Problem is you don't get the extra shots, because he would of had to clock it on 2nd and 6 putting him in 3rd and 6, so he only gets one shot and has to kick the field goal anyway.

NJ-STEELER
10-09-2019, 11:00 PM

Pappy

it was after samuel's catch. and yes, as soon as they saw he didn't get out of bounds, they should have called a timeout.

this was a typical clock management mistake by tomlin

papillon
10-10-2019, 12:19 AM
I just think the 20 is too far to limit the QB to just end zone passes, I think they wanted to have the option to throw it short of the goal line.

Well, what they would have been limited to are the sideline and end zone. Since in the end zone is a TD that leaves the middle of the field available there, plus the sideline. I just think at some point you have to play football and try to win the game rather than play to not lose the game. I would have called the TO, told him we're looking to the sideline or end zone, if it isn't there, throw it away, same on the next play, then kick if unsuccessful.

Pappy

papillon
10-10-2019, 12:21 AM

Yea, they could have clocked it, not sure what that would have left them on the clock, it may have kept the middle of the field in play for one more play and you have the TO to stop it if the play isn't a TD. I just think letting it run and running a hurry-up wasn't ideal.

Pappy

Northern_Blitz
10-10-2019, 05:30 AM
Yea, they could have clocked it, not sure what that would have left them on the clock, it may have kept the middle of the field in play for one more play and you have the TO to stop it if the play isn't a TD. I just think letting it run and running a hurry-up wasn't ideal.

Pappy

It's tough because taking points early is usually a good strategy.

But, I think trying to get a strike for the TD would have been reasonable too.

Mr.wizard
10-10-2019, 06:41 AM
Well, what they would have been limited to are the sideline and end zone. Since in the end zone is a TD that leaves the middle of the field available there, plus the sideline. I just think at some point you have to play football and try to win the game rather than play to not lose the game. I would have called the TO, told him we're looking to the sideline or end zone, if it isn't there, throw it away, same on the next play, then kick if unsuccessful.

Pappy

Sure it leaves you the sidelines but they are worried about a guy being tackled in bounds with no timeouts. You want the full compliment of routes and having the timeout ensures that Ravens will have to defend against those routes and not just protect the end zone and sidelines. I think it is playing to win, you are ensuring you get points without having to make risky plays.

whatever
10-10-2019, 01:43 PM

Pappy

Thank you.
Let's see if the ones that accused me of not watching the game admit that they are the clueless ones.

SteelerOfDeVille
10-10-2019, 02:53 PM
Problem is you don't get the extra shots, because he would of had to clock it on 2nd and 6 putting him in 3rd and 6, so he only gets one shot and has to kick the field goal anyway.
correct... clocking it doesn't give you that down back... so,he'd get ONE shot if you do it that way and if he's sacked or tackled in bounds, they're toast

Oh wow
10-10-2019, 03:28 PM
correct... clocking it doesn't give you that down back... so,he'd get ONE shot if you do it that way and if he's sacked or tackled in bounds, they're toast

or he throws for a first down and then calls a TO and takes 2 shots.

or he throws for a first down and the WR or RB gets out of bounds and saves a time out.

or we miss on the first down and kick the FG

Mr.wizard
10-10-2019, 04:05 PM

Exactly right, the clock was managed correctly, I think the QB needs to get the play called and ball snapped faster after a 4 yard gain but i for sure dont think you call the timeout.

Oh wow
10-10-2019, 04:42 PM
Exactly right, the clock was managed correctly, I think the QB needs to get the play called and ball snapped faster after a 4 yard gain but i for sure dont think you call the timeout.

I wasn’t a fan of the high floater our of the endzone. Throw it in the dirt at a players feet and save 3 seconds.

SteelerOfDeVille
10-10-2019, 04:57 PM
it's a very different situation if you've got Ben back there, too. You'd trust that he won't take the sack and actually might be able to call a play at the LOS himself... not something you'd necessarily trust with a guy making what, his 3rd NFL start - too many things could go wrong.

NJ-STEELER
10-10-2019, 07:27 PM
Sure it leaves you the sidelines but they are worried about a guy being tackled in bounds with no timeouts. You want the full compliment of routes and having the timeout ensures that Ravens will have to defend against those routes and not just protect the end zone and sidelines. I think it is playing to win, you are ensuring you get points without having to make risky plays.

with over 20 seconds left on the clock if they called a timeout. they would have plenty of time to run a route in the middle of the field and go up to spike it.

papillon
10-10-2019, 07:38 PM

Yeah, but they only had 7 seconds to run the full complement of routes. Even if they could run a route in the middle of the field, it would have to score a TD otherwise all you did was make your FG shorter. I like having the extra time and using the sideline and end zone to try and get the TD w/o having a TO rather than less time (particularly only 7 seconds) and a TO. I don't recall why the Steelers only had 1 TO but that could be the issue as well, preserving TOs for the final minutes of a game or half (not as much as the end of the game but still would rather have multiple TOs) should be a priority, imo.

Pappy

Mr.wizard
10-11-2019, 07:36 AM
Yeah, but they only had 7 seconds to run the full complement of routes. Even if they could run a route in the middle of the field, it would have to score a TD otherwise all you did was make your FG shorter. I like having the extra time and using the sideline and end zone to try and get the TD w/o having a TO rather than less time (particularly only 7 seconds) and a TO. I don't recall why the Steelers only had 1 TO but that could be the issue as well, preserving TOs for the final minutes of a game or half (not as much as the end of the game but still would rather have multiple TOs) should be a priority, imo.

Pappy

No they had 12 seconds you are thinking of the last play but they ran that from the 11 yard line because of the penalty that moved it there and stopped the clock. The play they ran from the 21 yard line was with 12 seconds in which thy would of called a TO if tackled short of the EZ but fortunately we had the penalty. Also like another poster pointed out, if he took a sack we would have still been able to stop the clock and get our field goal unit on the field.