PDA

View Full Version : Some Points For Focus

Sager
09-23-2019, 05:46 AM
Our running game is the definite weakness for this team right now.
Rudolph has been fine for a rookie QB. Certainly didn't lose because of him.
I think Rosie has been missed in the running game as Vince has been missed in the rushing defense game.
And I don't think that we have particularly above average blocking TEs to help the matter.

If we're gonna win any games this year, the running game has got to be there to help the young QB.
When Ben came in the league, we had the 2nd ranked rushing offense behind only Mike Vick's Falcons.
We ran with the ball as much as we threw. Ben threw 2621yds/17td/11int. The Bus and Staley rushed for 2464 yds.
We had the 28th ranked passing offense in 2004. We had the #1 ranked defense BY FAR in 2004.

We NEED to stay committed to establishing a run every game.
We need to have a capable backup FB on the practice squad or elsewhere for if Rosie goes down.
We need to use our committee of RBs in the running game.
WE NEED TO STOP TRYING TO ALWAYS RUN THE BALL OUT OF SHOTGUN AND USE HIGH PERCENTAGE FORMATIONS.

Thanks for coming to my TEDtalk.

steeler_george
09-23-2019, 05:50 AM
I think Rosie has been missed in the running game as Vince has been missed in the rushing defense game.
And I don't think that we have particularly above average blocking TEs to help the matter.

If we're gonna win any games this year, the running game has got to be there to help the young QB.
When Ben came in the league, we had the 2nd ranked rushing offense behind only Mike Vick's Falcons.
We ran with the ball as much as we threw. Ben threw 2621yds/17td/11int. The Bus and Staley rushed for 2464 yds.
We had the 28th ranked passing offense in 2004. We had the #1 ranked defense BY FAR in 2004.

We need to have a capable backup FB on the practice squad or elsewhere for if Rosie goes down.
WE NEED TO STOP TRYING TO ALWAYS RUN THE BALL OUT OF SHOTGUN AND USE HIGH PERCENTAGE FORMATIONS.

I agree, the shotgun is not what we should be using...

Iron City Inc.
09-23-2019, 05:53 AM
THe execution of the play calls is the problem on O. Not the calls or the formations. Grimble n Foster just r not cutting it.

SteelBucks
09-23-2019, 06:16 AM
It all starts up front. Can’t establish a running game if the offensive line is getting dominated. They’ve been flat out awful.

Ernie
09-23-2019, 06:54 AM
It all starts up front. Can’t establish a running game if the offensive line is getting dominated. They’ve been flat out awful.

thank you...

Mr.wizard
09-23-2019, 07:31 AM
You are not going to establish a run game facing eight in the box. Its not that we dont want to run the ball, the defenses are loading up stop us from running the ball.

Ernie
09-23-2019, 07:35 AM
You are not going to establish a run game facing eight in the box. Its not that we dont want to run the ball, the defenses are loading up stop us from running the ball.

i can see that. this dink and dunk crap allows them to crowd the box and still effectively cover the underneath stuff

Steel Maniac
09-23-2019, 07:41 AM
Losing Munchak , the best offensive line coach in football ,was more devastating then some thought it would be.

And I agree about running out of shotgun formation isn’t the way to go. Conner isn’t the same type of running back as Bell. And Fitchner is too inadequate to realize that.

Oviedo
09-23-2019, 07:44 AM

Agree 100% that Rudolph was the the problem yesterday against a good team. I actually liked what I saw. He seemed poised under a lot of pressure.

The OL is under performing for sure. Foster is getting pushed around. The under performing OL is hurting the running game

Too many drops at key moments yesterday...Grimble (wasted roster spot) and Dionte Johnson. The lack of a second quality TE is IMO showing.

I did like what I saw at times from the defense. Tuitt is having a monster season, but unfortunately Heyward seems to have disappeared. Bush is going to be very good. Fitzpatrick was a great add. Not happy with Barron.

Steel Maniac
09-23-2019, 07:48 AM
There was a reason a super bowl team like the Rams let Barron go. Now we see why.

Ghost
09-23-2019, 08:55 AM
There was a reason a super bowl team like the Rams let Barron go. Now we see why.

Here's what Barron said about the holding penalty on 3rd down - ďI donít know what it looked like to everybody else, but know what happened to me,Ē Barron said. ďI feel like he ran right into me. I just absorbed him. I just didnít get my hands off of him. And it was called.Ē

Not only is he terrible; he's delusional. The player turns and is running away from him when Barron grabs him from behind. Easiest holding call ever. 2 years, $12 million..yikes!

Iron City Inc.
09-23-2019, 09:06 AM
Baron in coverage and in space was not all that yesterday. Looked a bit slow but we'll have to see if that continues. Big Dan got ridden out 2x in the Niner's last drive. His pad level is just to high. That is correctable but we've seen it for to long already. Hargrave better get resigned.

Sword
09-23-2019, 09:06 AM
Like I said before, teams will stack the line and dare our rookie QB to throw.....He will have to prove he can throw down field before they loosen up....
The Conservative passes in the first half behind the line sucked balls......

Oh wow
09-23-2019, 09:11 AM
Like I said before, teams will stack the line and dare our rookie QB to throw.....He will have to prove he can throw down field before they loosen up....

Yup. But I think some of those first half jitters were also WR’s not getting open.

What changed in the second half? Whatever we did we need to keep doing it.

Ghost
09-23-2019, 09:14 AM
9-35 on third down this year.

I thought the Rudolph to Washington connection would be a force. In 6 quarters together Washington has 3 catches for 25 yards.

Samuels has 5 rushes this season with 0 touches in this past game. Why not get him more involved?

Why are they not using the fullback position? Yes, I know Nix has a knee injury but he had zero offensive snaps against the Pats. Reported Grimble was running as the FB in practice this past week in certain formations. Be nice to see them not in shotgun on 3rd or 4th and 1.

Steel Maniac
09-23-2019, 09:15 AM

And to that point, they need to let the kid open up. We have nothing to lose now. So you might as well let it rip and get him ready for next year.

If nothing else, maybe by letting him go more vertical will get those safeties out the box against our running game. We have nothing to lose right now.

Steel Maniac
09-23-2019, 09:22 AM
9-35 on third down this year.

I thought the Rudolph to Washington connection would be a force. In 6 quarters together Washington has 3 catches for 25 yards.

Samuels has 5 rushes this season with 0 touches in this past game. Why not get him more involved?

Why are they not using the fullback position? Yes, I know Nix has a knee injury but he had zero offensive snaps against the Pats. Reported Grimble was running as the FB in practice this past week in certain formations. Be nice to see them not in shotgun on 3rd or 4th and 1.

I’m with you ghost. More I-formation stuff.

Eich
09-23-2019, 09:56 AM
Yup. But I think some of those first half jitters were also WRís not getting open.

What changed in the second half? Whatever we did we need to keep doing it.

The few times they gave us replays that showed the receivers in coverage, it looked to me like we were running simple go-then-stop routes. Very easy for the defense to cover these. It was like Fichtner was afraid to let Rudolph throw to receivers in motion. Once we started throwing to receivers in motion, we saw what Juju was able to do with it.

That was my simplistic view of it based on what you can see on TV.

Northern_Blitz
09-23-2019, 10:25 AM

This.

Hopefully more live game action helps him get better (quickly).

NorthCoast
09-23-2019, 12:26 PM
I don't put too much stock in the first start for a young QB. The coaches are still looking at what he does well and not so well before they actually gameplan to his skills
What I will be looking for is week to week improvement.... from the QB and the team in general.

They say every season the team is different. Look at NE. Defensively mediocre last season but looks shutdown this season.
Maybe the addition by subtraction has caught up with the team. In my opinion, it's way too early to know what the post Roethlisberger era will look like.

Steel Maniac
09-23-2019, 12:30 PM
I don't put too much stock in the first start for a young QB. The coaches are still looking at what he does well and not so well before they actually gameplan to his skills
What I will be looking for is week to week improvement.... from the QB and the team in general.

They say every season the team is different. Look at NE. Defensively mediocre last season but looks shutdown this season.
Maybe the addition by subtraction has caught up with the team. In my opinion, it's way too early to know what the post Roethlisberger era will look like.

I think your right; with also taking into account the regression of the O-line. How can any QB be fairly assessed when the O-line is underperforming?

Oh wow
09-23-2019, 12:49 PM

Funny how most people expected a loss yet want to stick a flag in this game like it defines our season.

We had the ball with 6 minutes left and a chance to grind the clock or flip the field and Conner coughs it up.

That isnít coaching, thatís just human error.

I thought the team fought hard and showed some grit.

NorthCoast
09-23-2019, 06:09 PM
"They weren't in sync," Sherman said as he left the field. "Ben makes a lot happen off schedule by running around and being creative. People think it's bad, but it's a big thing for them, and they were missing it.

"I'll say this: You don't understand what you've got till it's gone." - Richard Sherman

Ernie
09-23-2019, 06:13 PM
Funny how most people expected a loss yet want to stick a flag in this game like it defines our season.

We had the ball with 6 minutes left and a chance to grind the clock or flip the field and Conner coughs it up.

That isn’t coaching, that’s just human error.

that play call where conner fumbled was setting him up for failure... youve got a young, fast defense that had been eating us up... sideline to sideline all game long.. the backside pursuit was unreal... and 5 plus minutes on the clock is too early to go into turtle mode anyways. It was a terrible fumble on conner's part...and may have cost us the game... the OC didnt do us any favors though

whatever
09-23-2019, 07:29 PM

That isn’t coaching, that’s just human error.

So what's our grit record?
Is there a trophy for that?

Oh wow
09-23-2019, 08:29 PM
So what's our grit record?
Is there a trophy for that?

What our record with Tomlin his whole career?

We have another trophy with him too.

Oh wow
09-23-2019, 08:36 PM
that play call where conner fumbled was setting him up for failure... youve got a young, fast defense that had been eating us up... sideline to sideline all game long.. the backside pursuit was unreal... and 5 plus minutes on the clock is too early to go into turtle mode anyways. It was a terrible fumble on conner's part...and may have cost us the game... the OC didnt do us any favors though

Oh please. Now giving the ball to Conner is setting him up for failure?

Wow.. that’s just.. okay.

and it MAY have cost us the game?

Dude.. Conner cost us another game with a fumble deep in our territory.

Stop making excuses. He was a pro bowler last year.

whatever
09-23-2019, 08:37 PM
What our record with Tomlin his whole career?

We have another trophy with him too.

Dude, you crack me up. How old are you. 13?

Ernie
09-24-2019, 04:22 AM
Oh please. Now giving the ball to Conner is setting him up for failure?

Wow.. that’s just.. okay.

and it MAY have cost us the game?

Dude.. Conner cost us another game with a fumble deep in our territory.

Stop making excuses. He was a pro bowler last year.

yea.. like i said.. it may have cost us the game.. unless youve got a crystal ball and can see how it played out otherwise.. thats all youve got also. kinda funny the first game you want to pin on conner for the fumble deep in his own end (Cleveland). Ben just happened to have 5 picks in the game... that was also a game that conner had close to 200 yds total offense in.. on 30+ touches... so its fair to say that we wouldnt even have been in the game to begin with.. without JC.

but please... continue to pursue your narrative.. by all means.

Oh wow
09-24-2019, 08:15 AM
yea.. like i said.. it may have cost us the game.. unless youve got a crystal ball and can see how it played out otherwise.. thats all youve got also. kinda funny the first game you want to pin on conner for the fumble deep in his own end (Cleveland). Ben just happened to have 5 picks in the game... that was also a game that conner had close to 200 yds total offense in.. on 30+ touches... so its fair to say that we wouldnt even have been in the game to begin with.. without JC.

Of course it may have cost us the game.

Anytime we have a lead and have a change to close a game out and someone turns the ball over deep in our territory it will carry more weight.

I’m sure you know this.

Same reason kickers get bashed for missing game winners.

Northern_Blitz
09-24-2019, 09:00 AM

Since none of us have a crystal ball that tells the future, what we're forced to do is look at past results and assume we'd get similar outcomes at similar rates.