PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Luck to retire

AzStillers1989
08-24-2019, 09:43 PM
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27456682/luck-informs-colts-retiring-source-says

Well damn.

Oh wow
08-24-2019, 09:57 PM
This is why you shouldn’t pay RB’s big money... lmao.

fordfixer
08-24-2019, 10:00 PM
Report: Andrew Luck retiring from NFL

In the most stunning story of the year in the NFL, Colts quarterback Andrew Luck has reportedly decided to retire.

Luck will announce his retirement on Sunday, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.

After dealing with a leg injury throughout training camp and the preseason, Luck is described as mentally worn down and ready to walk away.

The news comes as a complete shock: Luck has been widely regarded as one of the sport’s prototypical franchise quarterbacks since his days at Stanford, and when the Colts selected him with the first overall pick in the 2012 NFL draft, they believed they had an All-Pro quarterback for years to come.

Luck had great success early in his career, leading the Colts to the playoffs in each of his first three seasons.
But a shoulder injury cost him the entire 2017 season, and although he played well in 2018, he wasn’t the same quarterback. The leg injury this year has apparently made him question his love for the game, and now he’s ready to walk away, in what may be the most shocking retirement in NFL history.

Disco1981
08-24-2019, 10:06 PM
Dobbs?......

NJ-STEELER
08-24-2019, 11:11 PM
drama ben .....

Moonie
08-24-2019, 11:46 PM
There was always something off with that guys. No nads.

RuthlessBurgher
08-24-2019, 11:59 PM
Dobbs?......

The backups behind Colts starter Jacoby Brissett right now are Philip Walker and Chad Kelly (who's had more than his share of off-the-field issues already). Dobbs plays a similar style to Brissett.

Plus with Cam Newton's midfoot sprain, the Panthers might want a more established backup (who also plays a somewhat similar style to their starter) than rookie draft pick Will Grier from WVU.

If we get two teams potentially got interested in adding Dobbs, maybe we could get an earlier day three draft pick than just a late round third day pick.

Maybe get a 4th round pick for a combination of Dobbs and our 5th rounder together rather than just Dobbs for a 7th straight up...something like that might be possible.

flippy
08-25-2019, 12:12 AM
What a shame. He was a quality player that just got hurt unfortunately.

Colts fans deserve to have a team that sucks for booing him over retiring. One of the least classy fan bases in sports. Anyone has a right to boo, but I say save it for poor play.

SteelBucks
08-25-2019, 12:43 AM
I always enjoyed watching Luck play. It must suck being only 29 and having your body fail you.

Captain Lemming
08-25-2019, 01:16 AM
This is why you shouldn’t pay RB’s big money... lmao.

Trying to make a point because a QB retired early?

History’s 5 highest paid (so far) QBs are:
1. Peyton 2 rings
2. Eli 2 rings
3. Brees 1 ring
4. Brady 6 rings
5. Rogers 1 ring

A total of 12 rings combined.
(Ben and his 2 rings rank 7th in highest paid career earnings.)

Highest earning running backs of all time?

1. AP (number one by a wide margin)
2. Edgerine James (no rings DESPITE playing with Peyton who got a ring THE SECOND he was gone).
3. Reggie Bush.....really? He did get a ring averaging 40 rush yards as a part time player for the Saints.
4. Emmitt Smith 3 rings.....IN THE 90s when running backs mattered.
5. Frank Gore

Oh wow
08-25-2019, 07:42 AM
Trying to make a point because a QB retired early?

History’s 5 highest paid (so far) QBs are:
1. Peyton 2 rings
2. Eli 2 rings
3. Brees 1 ring
4. Brady 6 rings
5. Rogers 1 ring

A total of 12 rings combined.
(Ben and his 2 rings rank 7th in highest paid career earnings.)

Highest earning running backs of all time?

1. AP (number one by a wide margin)
2. Edgerine James (no rings DESPITE playing with Peyton who got a ring THE SECOND he was gone).
3. Reggie Bush.....really? He did get a ring averaging 40 rush yards as a part time player for the Saints.
4. Emmitt Smith 3 rings.....IN THE 90s when running backs mattered.
5. Frank Gore

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/LegitimateElasticAlleycat-size_restricted.gif

NorthCoast
08-25-2019, 08:29 AM
It sucks for football because you want to see good guys do well.

Disco1981
08-25-2019, 09:25 AM
Dobbs......

D Rock
08-25-2019, 09:41 AM
I always enjoyed watching Luck play. It must suck being only 29 and having your body fail you.

yeah, and his body has actually failed him since he was about 25. Dude has had all sorts of injuries

D Rock
08-25-2019, 09:53 AM
surprising stat: Andrew Luck retires with a sub-90 career QB rating.

He had 3 nice but not incredible years, one decent year, and 2 pretty bad years. For how much he continued to be talked about as a top-tier QB through his career, he never really was.

His career was actually very similar to Matt Stafford, Derek Carr, and Andy Dalton, who all get dogged constantly for being only mediocre.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_rating_career.htm

NorthCoast
08-25-2019, 09:57 AM

He had 3 nice but not incredible years, one decent year, and 2 pretty bad years. For how much he continued to be talked about as a top-tier QB through his career, he never really was.

His career was actually very similar to Matt Stafford, Derek Carr, and Andy Dalton, who all get dogged constantly for being only mediocre.

Colts were pathetic without him though.
Clearest example of what a franchise QB can do for a team.

D Rock
08-25-2019, 10:10 AM
He did win a lot of games, that is true.

He struggled a lot in 2015 while playing a partial year with injuries, going only 2-5 as a starter, and 40 year old Matt Hasselbeck went 5-3 as his replacement.

But even with him, they were only 8-8 in 2016. 2017 was a 4-12 disaster without him.

Seems to me maybe the team was just poorly built for 3 years there, and another decent QB could have gotten them to an ok season as well. Young Jacoby Brissett was not that guy at the time, although he played decent as a game manager type QB. We shall see this year as a more experienced Brissett will get his turn to lead a solid returning squad.

Captain Lemming
08-25-2019, 10:23 AM
Luck’s current net worth is around $50,000,000 and he also has an undergraduate degree from Stanford’s School of Engineering. I think he’s in a great position to retire.

Hopefully, he doesn't blow his money like AP who has made over 100 million and is broke. :)

Oviedo
08-25-2019, 11:57 AM
Appreciate everything about Ben while we have him

fordfixer
08-25-2019, 12:31 PM
So do the Colts have any worthwhile TEís we could trade Dobbs for?

Steel Maniac
08-25-2019, 12:31 PM
Colts are looking for back up qb help. This is a unique situation where we could make Dobbs available to them and get something in return.

Oh wow
08-25-2019, 01:36 PM
Why would the Colts trade for Dobbs? I don’t see it. If anything they trade for Hoyer.

RuthlessBurgher
08-25-2019, 03:12 PM
He did win a lot of games, that is true.

He struggled a lot in 2015 while playing a partial year with injuries, going only 2-5 as a starter, and 40 year old Matt Hasselbeck went 5-3 as his replacement.

But even with him, they were only 8-8 in 2016. 2017 was a 4-12 disaster without him.

Seems to me maybe the team was just poorly built for 3 years there, and another decent QB could have gotten them to an ok season as well. Young Jacoby Brissett was not that guy at the time, although he played decent as a game manager type QB. We shall see this year as a more experienced Brissett will get his turn to lead a solid returning squad.

Ryan Grigson was a downright AWFUL GM.

Chris Ballard looks to be a high quality GM so far.

Steel Maniac
08-25-2019, 05:04 PM

Not incredible? He just threw 39 TD's last year. Second only to Mahomes. Threw 40 TD's in another. And he did that with a terrible GM for the most part. Grigson was a terrible GM who didn't know the value of a good offensive line. Ballard came in and has restock that team and made one of the better O-lines ( and teams) in football. If Ballard were there for those Grigson years, Luck wouldn't have been exposed to all those hits as he was. Considering the bad management Luck had above him, he did a wonderful job. And I don't blame him a bit for retiring. He's shot mentally and physically. Most of it being because he had a terrible GM most of his career.

Luck carried nothing (but him) teams to the playoffs with hardly anything around him for years. That unto itself is remarkable.

Steel Maniac
08-25-2019, 05:15 PM
And Colts fans booing him? Wow. No class. He literally put his body on the line for them.

Steelerphile
08-25-2019, 05:35 PM
People make a lot of the fans booing. What does the booing mean? Does it mean they don't think well of him or appreciate what he's done? I think it means they're unhappy that he is leaving. Fans boo players that were once on the hometeam and then go to another team and come back to play. Why? because those players left home. The fans wanted them to stay.
So, I don't interpret that as negatively as it has been done. It is an infantile reaction to someone that they are attached to leaving. It's not hate.

Oh wow
08-25-2019, 05:42 PM
People on here call Steeler players every name in the book when they don’t do what they want.

I have no problem with fans booing a player who retired early and pretty much ruined their hopes and dreams for this season.

Eddie Spaghetti
08-25-2019, 07:04 PM
he deserved to be booed

people clutching their pearls over a pro athlete being booed is hilarious. who pays for tickets again?

AzStillers1989
08-25-2019, 07:30 PM
he deserved to be booed

people clutching their pearls over a pro athlete being booed is hilarious. who pays for tickets again?

Wait!... where the hell are my pearls at?!?

flippy
08-25-2019, 07:37 PM
he deserved to be booed

It's the equivalent of speaking bad about someone after they die imho. It's like cheering an injury.

It's not like he said F the Colts, I'm going to play for the Pats. Then the booing would be fair.

It's not a big deal to me either way, but I feel bad for the guy on the way out. It's not like he didn't give everything he had for the team.

SteelBucks
08-25-2019, 07:59 PM
Do the Colts own his rights if Luck comes out of retirement? Asking for a friend.;)

Mr.wizard
08-25-2019, 08:01 PM
I don't feel bad for him at all, he pocketed 97 million dollars and is retiring at 29 years old.

NJ-STEELER
08-25-2019, 08:39 PM
Appreciate everything about Ben while we have him

some idiots never will

fordfixer
08-25-2019, 08:54 PM
Wait!... where the hell are my pearls at?!?
Check your wifeís purse

Steel Maniac
08-25-2019, 09:29 PM
Do the Colts own his rights if Luck comes out of retirement? Asking for a friend.;)

Yes. Because of them not asking for any money back.

Steel Maniac
08-25-2019, 09:31 PM
It's the equivalent of speaking bad about someone after they die imho. It's like cheering an injury.

It's not like he said F the Colts, I'm going to play for the Pats. Then the booing would be fair.

It's not a big deal to me either way, but I feel bad for the guy on the way out. It's not like he didn't give everything he had for the team.

Itís not a big deal; just making an observation

Oh wow
08-25-2019, 09:46 PM
I don't feel bad for him at all, he pocketed 97 million dollars and is retiring at 29 years old.

They let him keep all his money this year too.

fordfixer
08-25-2019, 10:01 PM
They let him keep all his money this year too.
A $24+ million parting gift

NJ-STEELER
08-25-2019, 11:26 PM
with some time off to heel properly, I'm betting he's back in a year or 2

SteelBucks
08-26-2019, 07:41 AM
with some time off to heel properly, I'm betting he's back in a year or 2

I’m thinking the same. Of course I said the same thing about Barry Sanders and I’m still waiting.

Steel Maniac
08-26-2019, 07:44 AM
If the fans want to vent and be mad at someone, be mad at grigson, The ex- GM.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-26-2019, 09:00 AM
Iím thinking the same. Of course I said the same thing about Barry Sanders and Iím still waiting.

Barry's coming. Give him time.

RuthlessBurgher
08-26-2019, 10:19 AM
Regarding the booing thing, the only options that fans had in the stadium right then was to cheer or to boo (unless they wanted to break out into one of those weird soccer chant songs). Folks are sitting in the stands, already paid their season ticket fees for 2019, and then they get word that the franchise QB who they expected to have for another decade or so is walking away from the game suddenly that damn night in the middle of a worthless preseason game. That's a stomach punch for all Colts fans right there. Sure, with time to process, you can start to look at it from Luck's perspective, but in that moment of shock and dismay, that was their only real option to display the raw emotion that got surprisingly thrust upon them in what should have been a meaningless game.

Oviedo
08-26-2019, 10:23 AM
Regarding the booing thing, the only options that fans had in the stadium right then was to cheer or to boo (unless they wanted to break out into one of those weird soccer chant songs). Folks are sitting in the stands, already paid their season ticket fees for 2019, and then they get word that the franchise QB who they expected to have for another decade or so is walking away from the game suddenly that damn night in the middle of a worthless preseason game. That's a stomach punch for all Colts fans right there. Sure, with time to process, you can start to look at it from Luck's perspective, but in that moment of shock and dismay, that was their only real option to display the raw emotion that got surprisingly thrust upon them in what should have been a meaningless game.
It was still classless for them to boo. Be shocked, but booing was bad.

BTW soccer songs are cool. Have you ever been in a large stadium whn the whole stadium is signing. Pretty impressive.

Oh wow
08-26-2019, 10:56 AM
It was still classless for them to boo. Be shocked, but booing was bad.

BTW soccer songs are cool. Have you ever been in a large stadium whn the whole stadium is signing. Pretty impressive.

I don’t think it’s classless at all given the timing of it.

End of season? Sure...

But dude retired out of the blue BEFORE the season at 29.

You wait all season long and then get this news?

This is especially funny coming from a guy who calls players replaceable carbon units.

Oviedo
08-26-2019, 11:03 AM
I don’t think it’s classless at all given the timing of it.

End of season? Sure...

But dude retired out of the blue BEFORE the season at 29.

You wait all season long and then get this news?

This is especially funny coming from a guy who calls players replaceable carbon units.

Why is it funny? If anything, Luck just proved he was another carbon unit that was getting replaced. His body couldn't take the game anymore...so move on. The game isn't stopping for any player. Still doesn't change the fact that the fans acted like d!cks

RuthlessBurgher
08-26-2019, 11:07 AM
Personally, the only booing that I do at games is directed at the officials following bad calls (and maybe when the opposing team is running out of the tunnel onto the field before the game starts if they are a hated rival).

In terms of my own team, I just scream when we are on defense and shut the hell up when we are on offense. That's about it.

If I feel the need to complain about a particular player's effort or a coach's decision or whatever, I just talk to my father or son or whoever happens to be sitting next to me.

Regarding the chants, I just know that the old Florida State/Atlanta Braves thing is awful...do they still do that? I've never been to a soccer game...or "match" or whatever...so I wouldn't know what they are all singing anyway.

Kind of like my father's blank expression when they play Biz Markie's "Just a Friend" at a game and he just has a confused look on his face while everyone around him is yelling out "YOU....GOT WHAT I NEEEEE-EEEEED" in unison.

RuthlessBurgher
08-26-2019, 12:04 PM
Colts fans seeking season ticket refunds

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 26, 2019, 9:51 AM EDT

Booing Andrew Luck off the field wasn’t the only way for Colts fans to express their displeasure.

Season ticket holders are also asking the Colts to refund their purchases, now that they know they won’t see Luck, the franchise quarterback who shockingly announced his retirement on Saturday.

Zak Keefer of TheAthletic.com reported that fans have been calling the Colts this morning, demanding refunds for their season tickets.

This is the second time in three seasons that Colts fans have felt ripped off by purchasing tickets for games they thought Luck would play in, only to learn he would not. In 2017, Colts fans asked for refunds after Luck was placed on injured reserve with a shoulder injury that team owner Jim Irsay insisted would not force him to miss any regular-season games.

There’s no word on whether the Colts will honor the request of ticket holders who want their money back.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/26/colts-fans-seeking-season-ticket-refunds/

Oh wow
08-26-2019, 12:32 PM
Why is it funny? If anything, Luck just proved he was another carbon unit that was getting replaced. His body couldn't take the game anymore...so move on. The game isn't stopping for any player. Still doesn't change the fact that the fans acted like d!cks
Luck made a d!ck move... lol.

Should’ve never even been on that sideline if he already planned on retiring.

Eich
08-26-2019, 03:13 PM

Shouldíve never even been on that sideline if he already planned on retiring.

I agree. While I feel for Luck with regard to what he must be going through mentally and physically, he picked a really $hitty time to retire. With the amount of money he's paid, grind out a season and retire at the end, not right before the season starts. Or, if he's really too injured now (physically or mentally), sit out and get healthy for a month, give the rest of the season a go, then retire at the end if it's still too much.

I don't condemn fans who express their displeasure with boos, given the bizarre timing.

hawaiiansteel
08-26-2019, 03:28 PM

Should’ve never even been on that sideline if he already planned on retiring.

I respect his decision to retire but do question the timing of it...

SteelBucks
08-26-2019, 03:36 PM

Shouldíve never even been on that sideline if he already planned on retiring.

Shefter breaking the news during the game made it look worse. The owner already knew and was planning a Sunday PC to formally announce Luckís retirement. The timeline had to be accelerated after all hell broke loose on Twitter.

Steel Maniac
08-26-2019, 03:46 PM
Shefter breaking the news during the game made it look worse. The owner already knew and was planning a Sunday PC to formally announce Luck’s retirement. The timeline had to be accelerated after all hell broke loose on Twitter.

Yep.........

AzStillers1989
08-26-2019, 04:15 PM
Shefter breaking the news during the game made it look worse. The owner already knew and was planning a Sunday PC to formally announce Luck’s retirement. The timeline had to be accelerated after all hell broke loose on Twitter.

Exactly....

The Man of Steel
08-26-2019, 04:31 PM
Compared to the beatings that Ben and Brett Favre have taken in their NFL careers Luck comes off as kind of soft.

Oh wow
08-26-2019, 04:41 PM
Compared to the beatings that Ben and Brett Favre have taken in their NFL careers Luck comes off as kind of soft.

Threatening to retire and actually retiring early are way different IMO.

Oh wow
08-26-2019, 04:42 PM

I think being at the game made it worse.

If it was already decided he should’ve stayed away instead of being on the sideline. He definitely took one on the chin for management.

NJ-STEELER
08-26-2019, 06:53 PM

as is the case with other positions, some players are just tougher then some others

NorthCoast
08-26-2019, 07:13 PM
Shefter breaking the news during the game made it look worse. The owner already knew and was planning a Sunday PC to formally announce Luckís retirement. The timeline had to be accelerated after all hell broke loose on Twitter.

Yes^

Put the blame where it belongs on the timing.
Blame a leaky front office and poor media management.

NorthCoast
08-26-2019, 07:15 PM

Everyone is built differently.
Don't forget Luck had the same OC that nearly got Roethlisberger killed early on.

Mr.wizard
08-27-2019, 03:59 AM
Yes^

Put the blame where it belongs on the timing.
Blame a leaky front office and poor media management.

It's not poor timing because Schefter broke the news before the press conference. It's poor timing because it's right before the start of the season when the draft is over and all of the good free agents are signed, the team has no options and is really forced to wait until next year (again).

The Man of Steel
08-27-2019, 05:01 AM
Everyone is built differently.
Don't forget Luck had the same OC that nearly got Roethlisberger killed early on.
I know and 15 seasons and 501 sacks later Ben is still standing strong.

Eich
08-27-2019, 08:58 AM
I know and 15 seasons and 501 sacks later Ben is still standing strong.

Meanwhile, no one ever seems to lay a hand on Marcia. I want that guy to start playing with some pain.

Disco1981
08-27-2019, 09:11 AM
Meanwhile, no one ever seems to lay a hand on Marcia. I want that guy to start playing with some pain.

Because you're not allowed to ��

Eich
08-27-2019, 09:19 AM
Because you're not allowed to ��

You're not "allowed" to lay a hand on any of them, yet guys like Luck and Ben get pummeled anyway. Brady has normally had very good protection and plays the game smart. He gets rid of the ball quickly and if protection does break down, he goes quickly into the fetal position for self-preservation. When a defensive player finally does get a chance to bring him down, they're worried about a penalty.

If I was the D coordinator, I'd tell my team to forget about 15 yard penalties for most of the game. Tackle the guy like a football player a few times.

Disco1981
08-27-2019, 10:55 AM
You're not "allowed" to lay a hand on any of them, yet guys like Luck and Ben get pummeled anyway. Brady has normally had very good protection and plays the game smart. He gets rid of the ball quickly and if protection does break down, he goes quickly into the fetal position for self-preservation. When a defensive player finally does get a chance to bring him down, they're worried about a penalty.

If I was the D coordinator, I'd tell my team to forget about 15 yard penalties for most of the game. Tackle the guy like a football player a few times.

Haha...I know...I put some bad words about Marsha

RuthlessBurgher
08-27-2019, 11:43 AM
David DeCastro on Andrew Luck’s retirement: “People treat us like we’re circus animals”

Posted by Mike Florio on August 26, 2019, 10:18 PM EDT

The retirement of Colts quarterback Andrew Luck has exposed a divide between players and fans. It’s a schism that may have been hiding in plain sight for years, but Luck’s decision to pack it in 15 days before his team’s regular-season opener shines a floodlight on that disconnect.

Steelers guard David DeCastro, a teammate of Luck’s at Stanford, offered on Monday this assesment of the boos that Luck heard after news of his retirement prematurely leaked, via Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: “It’s just sad. People treat us like we’re circus animals.”

DeCastro can relate to Luck’s decision to retire after only seven NFL seasons.

“I talked to him the other day,” DeCastro said. “His life . . . it’s been tough. I don’t think people understand how hard it is on the body and mind. When you play the game, you know how hard it is. He did it the right way and was very professional about it.”

Luck’s rollercoaster of injuries began in 2015, when he was limited to seven games. He played through a shoulder injury in 2016, missed all of 2017, and then returned for the full 2018 season, winning the Comeback Player of the Year award.

Plenty of fans believe that paying the price for tickets (and for the stuff that gets sold at a premium at most stadiums) and/or taking the time to watch games on TV gives them a birthright to boo and/or to piss and/or to moan about anything and everything related to NFL players on their favorite teams and/or their fantasy teams, from whether they’re injured to whether they’re retiring to whether they’re performing well enough to whether they care as much about winning and losing as the fans do.

They often cross the line, but the same passion that stirs bad behavior fuels the golden goose. Without true and zealous engagement from fans, the sport doesn’t generate the money that it does. That doesn’t make it right for fans to act like jerks, but it’s not always simple to separate the words that hurt feelings from the deed that line pockets.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/26/david-decastro-on-andrew-lucks-retirement-people-treat-us-like-were-circus-animals/

papillon
08-27-2019, 11:48 AM
David DeCastro on Andrew Luck’s retirement: “People treat us like we’re circus animals”

Posted by Mike Florio on August 26, 2019, 10:18 PM EDT

The retirement of Colts quarterback Andrew Luck has exposed a divide between players and fans. It’s a schism that may have been hiding in plain sight for years, but Luck’s decision to pack it in 15 days before his team’s regular-season opener shines a floodlight on that disconnect.

Steelers guard David DeCastro, a teammate of Luck’s at Stanford, offered on Monday this assesment of the boos that Luck heard after news of his retirement prematurely leaked, via Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: “It’s just sad. People treat us like we’re circus animals.”

DeCastro can relate to Luck’s decision to retire after only seven NFL seasons.

“I talked to him the other day,” DeCastro said. “His life . . . it’s been tough. I don’t think people understand how hard it is on the body and mind. When you play the game, you know how hard it is. He did it the right way and was very professional about it.”

Luck’s rollercoaster of injuries began in 2015, when he was limited to seven games. He played through a shoulder injury in 2016, missed all of 2017, and then returned for the full 2018 season, winning the Comeback Player of the Year award.

Plenty of fans believe that paying the price for tickets (and for the stuff that gets sold at a premium at most stadiums) and/or taking the time to watch games on TV gives them a birthright to boo and/or to piss and/or to moan about anything and everything related to NFL players on their favorite teams and/or their fantasy teams, from whether they’re injured to whether they’re retiring to whether they’re performing well enough to whether they care as much about winning and losing as the fans do.

They often cross the line, but the same passion that stirs bad behavior fuels the golden goose. Without true and zealous engagement from fans, the sport doesn’t generate the money that it does. That doesn’t make it right for fans to act like jerks, but it’s not always simple to separate the words that hurt feelings from the deed that line pockets.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/26/david-decastro-on-andrew-lucks-retirement-people-treat-us-like-were-circus-animals/

Paying the ticket prices to attend games does, indeed, give you the permission to boo, cheer, or behave in any other manner that is allowed within the confines of the stadium. It wasn't a pretty picture but the Indy fans certainly were allowed to boo if they chose to do so.

Pappy

NorthCoast
08-27-2019, 12:31 PM
To Decastro's point, the NFL is in the entertainment business and just about anything goes. ...look at the abuse actors get for various reasons. You live in the public eye, you need to develop a pretty thick skin.

Oh wow
08-27-2019, 12:41 PM
DeCastro... you are a high priced circus animal.

flippy
08-27-2019, 12:55 PM

That sounds like he's biting the hand that feeds him.

Oh wow
08-27-2019, 12:59 PM
That sounds like he's biting the hand that feeds him.

These dudes are modern day gladiators.

I get the frustration but this is what they signed up for

It’s like a politician getting mad because the news is picking on him/her.

Ghost
08-27-2019, 01:11 PM
What can you say... the Colts luck just ran out...

flippy
08-27-2019, 01:25 PM
These dudes are modern day gladiators.

I get the frustration but this is what they signed up for

Itís like a politician getting mad because the news is picking on him/her.

Not to come off negative in any way, but when I read DD's comments, it made me think of when Mendenhall compared the NFL to slavery. I know it's night and day different, but David came across like Rashard a little.

Just like Rashard called Ben a racist QB this year after the AB trade fiasco, I'm sure DD will be calling Ben PT Barnum in the future.

The Man of Steel
08-27-2019, 01:31 PM
Millennials are probably the worst thing to ever happen to the NFL.

Oviedo
08-27-2019, 01:35 PM
...and society

flippy
08-27-2019, 01:40 PM

Is it even fair to lump in NFL players with Millennials?

I used to just think of Millenials as people in their 20s/30s, but have come to learn other people perceive the negative connotation of their generation when they hear that word. I don't really care either way and don't mean it as negative. But I hear some young people that perceive using the term to mean they live at home until their 30s, they're broke, they're saddled with debt, they can't afford to buy a house, etc. But in my world, I work with Millenials that likely buck the trend of their generation. Same is true of these NFL players where they're paid $Ms. It's not like they're saddled with college and credit card debt and broke. These guys have more in common with the 1%ers.

Eich
08-27-2019, 01:53 PM
Not to come off negative in any way, but when I read DD's comments, it made me think of when Mendenhall compared the NFL to slavery. I know it's night and day different, but David came across like Rashard a little

I was thinking the same. It's ridiculous IMO. These players are paid an enormous amount of money for a profession they love. Yeah, it's hard on their bodies. I'm sure the pain is very, very real. But there are also a lot of people on the planet in a lot more pain and getting paid nothing. Military veterans with far worse quality of life, struggling.

The reactions to the retirement announcement are just like politics. Extreme reactions on both sides of the fence. The appropriate reaction is somewhere in the middle.

True that Luck is more than entitled and justified in retiring whenever he wants for whatever reason he wants. But if he was considering his teammates, his coaches, the owner, the fans in his decision at all, it seems to me that he could have planned the timing a LOT better. Maybe even ask to be placed on IR for a month or two to see how he feels. Announcing it right before a promising season is just asking for extreme reactions.

flippy
08-27-2019, 01:55 PM
I was thinking the same. It's ridiculous IMO. These players are paid an enormous amount of money for a profession they love. Yeah, it's hard on their bodies. I'm sure the pain is very, very real. But there are also a lot of people on the planet in a lot more pain and getting paid nothing. Military veterans with far worse quality of life, struggling.

The reactions to the retirement announcement are just like politics. Extreme reactions on both sides of the fence. The appropriate reaction is somewhere in the middle.

True that Luck is more than entitled and justified in retiring whenever he wants for whatever reason he wants. But if he was considering his teammates, his coaches, the owner, the fans in his decision at all, it seems to me that he could have planned the timing a LOT better. Maybe even ask to be placed on IR for a month or two to see how he feels. Announcing it right before a promising season is just asking for extreme reactions.

Someone made the point that if he IR'd the team would have had to pay him, so he may have been doing the Colts a favor.

Like he did the favor in keeping the $25m :)

Eich
08-27-2019, 02:08 PM
Someone made the point that if he IR'd the team would have had to pay him, so he may have been doing the Colts a favor.

Like he did the favor in keeping the $25m :)

All of that could have been discussed with the team and a plan created to do this in a way that caused the least disruption, while giving Luck time to figure things out. Dropping the retirement bomb right before the season starts feels very unplanned.

It'll be interesting to see how he's received when he announces he's coming out of retirement.

RuthlessBurgher
08-27-2019, 02:10 PM
It'll be interesting to see how he's received when he announces he's coming out of retirement.

Maybe he'll come out of retirement to become the face of a brand new football league...one with his father as commissioner. :stirpot

The Man of Steel
08-27-2019, 02:12 PM
Is it even fair to lump in NFL players with Millennials?
Yes because that’s the current generation that occupies most of the NFL rosters. There are still a few Gen Xers left like Brady and Brees and they’re both still playing at a very high level in their 40’s because the competition they are playing against are pretty soft.

Oh wow
08-27-2019, 02:50 PM
Someone brought up a good point. Did the Colts botch his shoulder injury? Are they letting him keep this money because they have been incompetent in handling his health?

Oh wow
08-27-2019, 02:54 PM
Iím not a fan of the millennial bashing. Every generation complains about the generation after them as no good, incompetent whiners.

RuthlessBurgher
08-27-2019, 03:08 PM
I’m not a fan of the millennial bashing. Every generation complains about the generation after them as no good, incompetent whiners.

Which is somewhat ironic, since it is essentially the parenting of the current generation which leads to the behavior of the subsequent generation.

The Man of Steel
08-27-2019, 03:29 PM
I’m not a fan of the millennial bashing. Every generation complains about the generation after them as no good, incompetent whiners.
I can’t think of another generation who’s identity involves mass shootings and a choice of 73 different genders.

Northern_Blitz
08-27-2019, 03:43 PM
Someone brought up a good point. Did the Colts botch his shoulder injury? Are they letting him keep this money because they have been incompetent in handling his health?

I think they're "letting" him keep his money so they retain his rights.

Kind of like how we paid Shazier even though he wasn't playing. I think part of that was altruism and part of it was wanting to keep his rights if he did come back.

Oh wow
08-27-2019, 04:14 PM
I can’t think of another generation who’s identity involves mass shootings and a choice of 73 different genders.

Thoughts and prayers isn’t a real solution and all these genders were around before.. we just used to ty and beat it out of them.

I don’t want to derail the thread but these millennials didn’t just birth and raise themselves.

RuthlessBurgher
08-27-2019, 04:20 PM
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

Ben Roethlisberger said he was "shocked but on the other hand very proud" of Andrew Luck for his retirement. "For a guy in his prime, playing as well as anybody in the league, to come out and have that kind of bravery an honesty isn't easy to do," Roethlisberger said. Coach Mike Tomlin added he respects Luck's decision and heard he was a "class guy in every way."

2h

BURGH86STEEL
08-27-2019, 07:29 PM
I don't think it's simply about being tough. I am sure living in pain and going through rehab isn't fun. At some point one's health is more important than being tough and making money. Health equates to quality of life. Can't put a price on health and well being.

The "sins" of our youth can and usually come back to bite us in the butt when we are middle age and old people. Luck's made enough money. Now he can get healthy and live his life comfortably. There is life after football.

NorthCoast
08-27-2019, 07:52 PM
If a QB's (or any player for that matter) heart isn't in the game, why would a fan want them on the field? Going through the motions isn't going to win a championship. Luck could have been dishonest, took his money, and played like ****e for the season. Instead he is giving the team a chance with someone who hasn't checked out mentally.

Steel Maniac
08-27-2019, 08:16 PM
https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nfl/news/nfl-trade-rumors-colts-may-be-interested-in-steelers-qb-joshua-dobbs-after-andrew-lucks-retirement/1i39vow8a89y7194e9c0a05sqj

AzStillers1989
08-27-2019, 08:18 PM
Which is somewhat ironic, since it is essentially the parenting of the current generation which leads to the behavior of the subsequent generation.

This made me laugh because it’s true. The comment you were quoting I agree with as well.

SteelBucks
08-27-2019, 09:30 PM

I see the thread turned ugly.

Oh wow
08-27-2019, 09:40 PM
I see the thread turned ugly.

Because I agree with him!

Lmao. Tiny violin.

Oh wow
08-27-2019, 09:41 PM
If a QB's (or any player for that matter) heart isn't in the game, why would a fan want them on the field? Going through the motions isn't going to win a championship. Luck could have been dishonest, took his money, and played like ****e for the season. Instead he is giving the team a chance with someone who hasn't checked out mentally.

If Luck played like sh!t they would’ve applauded his retirement.

They booed him because they believed in him.

It’s not complicated.

papillon
08-28-2019, 09:30 AM
We're also forgetting that back in the day, 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s the salaries were such that playing football was a job in which youo didn't earn enough to retire after 9 years and try to live out the rest of your life on 9 years of salary and savings. Now, with 40, 50 60 and 100 million dollar contracts these players are given the opportunity to earn the money and get out at 29 or 30 and not have to worry about how they're going to pay the bills and raise a family.

Players from the 50s, 60s and 70s worked two jobs to provide fr themselves and family.

It's different, I think Luck made the right decision, he's set for a lifetime provided he doesn't squander the money.

Pappy

Eich
08-28-2019, 11:05 AM
It's different, I think Luck made the right decision, he's set for a lifetime provided he doesn't squander the money.

Only a complete moron or someone who takes very extreme risks could squander that kind of money. He and his kids and their kids are all set for a lifetime if he's even remotely as intelligent as has been claimed.

And while I'm sure he made the right decision for himself, that decision was made at a ridiculous time IMO. It's the timing that he botched badly.

NorthCoast
08-28-2019, 12:57 PM
If Luck played like sh!t they wouldíve applauded his retirement.

They booed him because they believed in him.

Itís not complicated.

Maybe saying the same thing but they booed him because they just spent money on season tix and see that as being flushed down the toilet...

RuthlessBurgher
08-28-2019, 02:13 PM
Only a complete moron or someone who takes very extreme risks could squander that kind of money. He and his kids and their kids are all set for a lifetime if he's even remotely as intelligent as has been claimed.

And while I'm sure he made the right decision for himself, that decision was made at a ridiculous time IMO. It's the timing that he botched badly.

It appears that Andrew Luck and Adrian Peterson both earned in the neighborhood of $100M from their NFL player contracts.

Adrian Peterson already burned through all of his, and still owes various debtors more money than scheduled to make in 2019.

RuthlessBurgher
08-28-2019, 02:26 PM
One of the best Twitter parody accounts in history is also no more...

Capt. Andrew Luck pens a farewell message

Posted by Josh Alper on August 28, 2019, 11:32 AM EDT

Andrew Luck said farewell to the NFL on Saturday night and the impact of that decision has led to another goodbye.

As some 543,000 followers and countless others who have seen retweets find their way into their Twitter accounts are aware, a parodist who named himself Capt. Andrew Luck has posted on the quarterback’s career since 2015. The account used the bearded Luck’s resemblance to a Civil War soldier as a jumping off point for humorous posts in the form of letters to his dearest mother from the battlefield.

Capt. Andrew Luck made one post on Sunday after Luck’s retirement — “The quill has never felt more heavy. I have made the decision to holster my sidearm permanently. I shall battle no more.” — and said a longer farewell in a letter posted to SI.com on Wednesday.

“Oh, the times we had out on our campaigns through the years. I feel as though I was just a youth who hardly had two neckbeard whiskers to rub together when I first unholstered my sidearm. How we have all grown one hard-fought battle after another. From that frozen tundra to face the Horned Barbarians (I recall sleeping in a deer carcass to keep warm) to combating those painted Pirate Ruffians in their land without light. Then there were the Steel Men, who battled in a Pitt. And who could forget the orange Horsemen? Good thing we packed extra air since their land had so little.

Of course, we were hoodwinked by the deserter, McDaniels. But, that was serendipitous as it led to the appointment of the esteemed Gen. Reich. . . . Finally, I would be remiss if I did not tell you serving along each and every one of you was a joy and honor. We lost battles. We won battles. But we did it all together: one mighty unit.”

Jacoby Brissett will take over for Luck in Indianapolis, but there’s no telling who might be promoted to fill the void that Luck’s retirement has left in cyberspace.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/28/capt-andrew-luck-pens-a-farewell-message/

Oh wow
08-28-2019, 03:27 PM
That was hilarious.

D Rock
08-28-2019, 06:53 PM
He's worth a trade for some team to throw a 2nd or 3rd out there. Prime candidate for an un-retirement