PDA

View Full Version : Kicker talk

KYPITTFAN
08-19-2019, 10:33 AM
If Bos and others have equal opportunity during camp and pre season and have equal results who do we sign or cut.
The veteran who make more but has proven himself except for last year or the rookie who makes less and helps on cap space.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-19-2019, 11:14 AM
If Bos and others have equal opportunity during camp and pre season and have equal results who do we sign or cut.
The veteran who make more but has proven himself except for last year or the rookie who makes less and helps on cap space.

Hands down Boz. The team wants him to be the guy. If they didn't then he wouldn't still be here.

RuthlessBurgher
08-19-2019, 11:27 AM
Boswell has had 3 very solid seasons in black and gold and then one very miserable season last year.

If he performs well enough in camp and in preseason games to convince the coaches that 2018 was the fluke outlier and that 2015-2017 is more indicative of what we can expect to see from him going forward, then he's our future.

So far, he appears to be doing just that. Keep it up, Boz...

ikestops85
08-19-2019, 11:48 AM
Not only has the Wizard of Boz been making his kicks. All of them have been right down the middle. Not like last year when even the kicks he made I found myself leaning toward a side as the ball just slipped inside the goal post.

As for the punters I was hoping that Berryman would outkick Berry but that doesn't seem to be the case. Berryman seems to be even more inconsistent than Berry.

Iron City Inc.
08-19-2019, 01:57 PM
Wright doesn't have the leg Boz has. Boz has looked like the Boz of old so far. He makes more but I'm sure if he reverts to 17 form he'll be back in everyone's good graces. The team and all of us want the best guy for the job. Boz was $ and could be $ again.
Regarding the punting imho this goes right down to the last pre-season game. Berry is serviceable but not special, and Berryman has had some booms and a few busts in the early going. Smith asks for a lot of directional punting so we'll just have to watch n wait on this last of the 53 position. It's possible someone not on the roster is the opening day punter. Not likely but possible.

RuthlessBurgher
08-19-2019, 02:11 PM
Boz was $ and could be $ again.

Boz was $ until we paid him big $ then he wasn't $ anymore.

Now it feels like I'm talking with emojis. $$$!!!

flippy
08-19-2019, 02:20 PM
Wright doesn't have the leg Boz has.

It's not even that Boz has a huge leg. It's more of a question of does Wright even have a legit NFL leg?

This competition is made up and not real imho. Either Boz figures his kicking out (and I assume he was hurt last year) and we go with him or he fails and we grab a different TBD kicker off the waiver wire that someone else cuts.

RuthlessBurgher
08-19-2019, 02:22 PM
It's not even that Boz has a huge leg. It's more of a question of does Wright even have a legit NFL leg?

This competition is made up and not real imho. Either Boz figures his kicking out (and I assume he was hurt last year) and we go with him or he fails and we grab a different TBD kicker off the waiver wire that someone else cuts.

Boz was kicking against himself all along. No question about that.

Steel Maniac
08-19-2019, 03:17 PM
Boz isn't going anywhere.

Oviedo
08-19-2019, 03:40 PM

I told you guys when we signed Wright. I watched him his entire career at UCF. Accurate but does not have a strong leg. Anything past 35-40 yards is a hope and a prayer

fordfixer
08-19-2019, 09:43 PM
I told you guys when we signed Wright. I watched him his entire career at UCF. Accurate but does not have a strong leg. Anything past 35-40 yards is a hope and a prayer
Every kick with Boz last year was a hope and a prayer . Looks much better so far this year.

Eich
08-20-2019, 09:16 AM
Every kick with Boz last year was a hope and a prayer . Looks much better so far this year.

Yeah, what a weird feeling that was, actually hoping that we could avoid putting him on the field. I really think he had some things going on - like both a physical injury and some mental stress.

Oviedo
08-20-2019, 09:38 AM
I read that the Patriots were releasing their Punter who had the job since 2013...Ryan Allen. Being replaced by a rookie who the Patriots traded up in the 5th round to get.

Steel Maniac
08-20-2019, 09:57 AM
I read that the Patriots were releasing their Punter who had the job since 2013...Ryan Allen. Being replaced by a rookie who the Patriots traded up in the 5th round to get.

Gotta believe the Pats did their homework on the guy to trade up for him. Pats stay ahead of the game. And saved a little over a million when the let Allen go too.

RuthlessBurgher
08-20-2019, 10:57 AM
Tomlin was absolutely eviscerated for trading up to take a punter in his first draft.

But Belichick is ahead of the game now, apparently.

Oviedo
08-20-2019, 02:59 PM
Tomlin was absolutely eviscerated for trading up to take a punter in his first draft.

But Belichick is ahead of the game now, apparently.
Funny how some have that take. Belichek does it and its good. Tomlin does same and its end of the world

hawaiiansteel
08-20-2019, 11:18 PM

and how did that work out?

RuthlessBurgher
08-21-2019, 12:07 AM
and how did that work out?

Injured...

hawaiiansteel
08-21-2019, 12:13 AM
Injured...

didn't he miss a whole season one year?

RuthlessBurgher
08-22-2019, 10:27 PM

Jake Bailey needs work as Stephen Gostkowski’s holder
By Charean Williams | Aug 22, 2019, 10:03 PM EDT

The Patriots already miss Ryan Allen.

Rookie Jake Bailey has done just fine punting. He has three punts for a 46.7 yard average with one downed inside the 20-yard line.

His holding skills, though, appear to need some work.

Patriots kicker Stephen Gostkowski missed a 43-yard field goal wide left with three seconds remaining in the third quarter. The Patriots’ television broadcast, via Mike Reiss of ESPN, showed a close up of Bailey’s hold.

The laces were turned in, toward Gostkowski, instead of out.

Allen served as Gostkowski’s holder since Allen joined the Patriots in 2013.

The Patriots released Allen earlier this week