PDA

View Full Version : Bayless: Roethlisberger Wins NFL MVP in '19

NorthCoast
08-04-2019, 08:55 PM
I generally respect Bayless' opinions but am surprised he is backing Roethlisberger's season given a bunch of uncertainties on offense.

But hey, let's go...

:tt2

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is entering the 2019 NFL season with a lot of pressure on his shoulders. After the team made a big move to trade star wide receiver Antonio Brown to the Oakland Raiders and star running back Le’Veon Bell left in free agency for the New York Jets, all eyes have been turned on the star quarterback to prove just how good he is without other superstars backing him up.

Skip Bayless has no doubt that Big Ben will be able to keep the Steelers in serious contention. Not only does he think Roethlisberger can lead the team to another division win, he is predicting an MVP award.

In a segment on Undisputed, Bayless talked about his high expectations and MVP prediction for Roethlisberger in 2019.

Pittsburgh is being forgotten in the AFC picture this offseason. That is due in large part to the Cleveland Browns making big moves this offseason. Odell Beckham Jr. was the big move, while the Browns also acquired players like Kareem Hunt, Olivier Vernon, and Greedy Williams via free agency and the draft.

Last season, Roethlisberger ended up completing 67.0 percent of his pass attempts for 5,129 yards, 34 touchdowns, and 16 interceptions. He has to cut down the turnovers, but the other numbers would put him in contention.

Shannon Sharpe made it fairly clear that Patrick Mahomes is still at the top of his list. Despite the other options, Bayless is sticking with the Steelers’ quarterback.

If Roethlisberger can win an MVP award, it would cement his legacy. Doing so without Brown and Bell would be a massive message sent to the rest of the league.

https://clutchpoints.com/steelers-news-skip-bayless-predicts-ben-roethlisberger-to-win-the-nfl-mvp/

Captain Lemming
08-04-2019, 09:27 PM
Bayless is such an idio.......wait.......he is prediction GOOD THINGS about the Steelers?????

That Skip Bayless. Dude is always ON POINT and knows the game like few others in the media.
A prediction by him is like history told in advanced.

Captain Lemming
08-04-2019, 09:33 PM
Skip (AKA "Biff") Bayless' accuracy has me convince he has a sports almanac from the future:

https://ep60qmdjq8-flywheel.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/biff-1024x593.jpg

Captain Lemming
08-04-2019, 09:40 PM
Just one example.
Every year he alone goes "against the grain" and courageously predicts the Pats will win the SB.

Dude is like a stinkin PROPHET.

Oh wow
08-05-2019, 06:58 AM
Skip Bayless? Oh no...

He tends to troll a lot.

Steel Maniac
08-05-2019, 09:06 AM
Bayless is such an idio.......wait.......he is prediction GOOD THINGS about the Steelers?????

That Skip Bayless. Dude is always ON POINT and knows the game like few others in the media.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA...Bayless is a tool and a fool. But Ben winning it is in the realm of possibility. Ben will distribute the ball to whoever is open now..no predetermined receivers anymore. Not as many yards as last year because we will be running the ball more and our defense SHOULD be better. But less picks and more wins...yeah; Ben can be in the MVP conversation for sure. He can start the ball rolling in grand fashion by beating the Pats. THAT will get the nation's attention for sure.

Steel Maniac
08-05-2019, 09:13 AM
I'm crying laughing...

Biff Bayless. hahahahhaahhhhahahaa

Disco1981
08-05-2019, 09:55 AM
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA...Bayless is a tool and a fool. But Ben winning it is in the realm of possibility. Ben will distribute the ball to whoever is open now..no predetermined receivers anymore. Not as many yards as last year because we will be running the ball more and our defense SHOULD be better. But less picks and more wins...yeah; Ben can be in the MVP conversation for sure. He can start the ball rolling in grand fashion by beating the Pats. THAT will get the nation's attention for sure.

Boom!!!!!!!!!!

Northern_Blitz
08-05-2019, 10:58 AM

This is a classic talking head prediction move. Predict something that has chance but is fairly unlikely.

Then, if you're correct you brag about it for a long time. If you're wrong, no one remembers.

I think there's little chance Ben wins MVP. I think he'd have to be head and shoulders above everyone for the league to risk the blow back of honoring Ben given his history off the field.

NorthCoast
08-05-2019, 05:38 PM
This is a classic talking head prediction move. Predict something that has chance but is fairly unlikely.

Then, if you're correct you brag about it for a long time. If you're wrong, no one remembers.

I think there's little chance Ben wins MVP. I think he'd have to be head and shoulders above everyone for the league to risk the blow back of honoring Ben given his history off the field.

This is a good point.

But I can't say what the odds Roethlisberger has for MVP because the voting criteria seems awfully murky. Is it as much the 'eye test ' as it is stats? We know how much the eye test varies in this crowd...

RuthlessBurgher
08-22-2019, 02:43 PM
Ben Roethlisberger sees “some value” to playing in preseason

Posted by Josh Alper on August 22, 2019, 1:47 PM EDT

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger didn’t say for sure that he’ll be in the lineup against the Titans on Sunday night, but he’s “pretty sure” that he’s going to see his first game action of the preseason.

There’s been a lot of debate about the value of playing starters like Roethlisberger in preseason games this summer and Roethlisberger weighed in on that question while speaking to reporters. He acknowledged there’s “a line to walk” when it comes to risking injury, but said he thinks there are benefits to seeing game situations in the summer.

“There is, I think, some value because every game counts in the NFL,” Roethlisberger said. “In all the other major sports, you can get away with losing some games and you can kinda warm up to it because the season’s so long. In our season, you can’t really afford to do that so to get out there and get the game speed stuff is beneficial.”

Roethlisberger said he’d like to take one hit to get it out of the way, although he said he’d like to run plays that gets the ball out quickly during what will almost certainly be his only playing time of the preseason.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/22/ben-roethlisberger-sees-some-value-to-playing-in-preseason/

NorthCoast
08-22-2019, 05:21 PM
Since he is frequently mentioned as the gold standard for QBs in the NFL, here is T Brady in the preseason:

Tom Brady hasn't played in any of the two preseason games thus far, but that will likely change Thursday night against the Panthers.

Listen to your team news NOW.

The third preseason game is typically when the starters see their most extensive action of the preseason to gear up for Week 1.

Here's a look at Brady's numbers in the third preseason game the last five years. They suggest a good amount of the quarterback is expected.

2018 vs. Panthers: 12-for-18, 102 yards
2017 vs. Lions: 12-for-15, 174 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT
2016 vs. Panthers: 3-for-9, 76 yards, 1 TD
2015 vs. Panthers: 7-for-13, 84 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs
2014 vs. Panthers: 12-for-21, 204 yards, 2 TDs

As a starter, only once did Brady not play at all in the third preseason game and that was 2008.

Based on history and what we've seen so far this summer, expect Brady and the Patriots first-team offense to play into the second quarter and maybe even the entire first half.

https://weei.radio.com/blogs/ryan-hannable/how-much-will-tom-brady-play-vs-carolina-panthers

Starlifter
08-22-2019, 06:38 PM
I mostly think Bayless is just a loud-mouthed idiot - but allowing for the fact I may be exhibiting some 'homerism', I thought his analysis of the team and Ben was surprisingly cogent. The browns have a lot of talent - but they also have a lot of big egos. The steelers have shed most of the egos and still have good talent. we will see!

Steel Maniac
08-22-2019, 10:25 PM

History in advance..I’m gonna use that cap.

RuthlessBurgher
08-23-2019, 02:12 PM
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin confirms Ben Roethlisberger will play with the rest of the starters Sunday at Tennessee. Josh Dobbs and Mason Rudolph also are expected to play. Don't expect Roethlisberger to go deep into the second quarter.

28m

hawaiiansteel
08-31-2019, 12:21 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EDOWr6KWsAEt-i2?format=jpg&name=small

Captain Lemming
08-31-2019, 05:07 PM

So true. Ben has been the actual Steeler MVP for years now and HIS OWN TEAMMATES wont give him that love and respect (BTW he WILL be voted team MVP this year as the team is focused on solidarity).

My point is that there is NO WAY the NFL will vote him MVP unless he DESTROYS his competition statistically with BY FAR his best season ever, which ain’t likely.

Flasteel
08-31-2019, 05:37 PM
So true. Ben has been the actual Steeler MVP for years now and HIS OWN TEAMMATES wont give him that love and respect (BTW he WILL be voted team MVP this year as the team is focused on solidarity).

My point is that there is NO WAY the NFL will vote him MVP unless he DESTROYS his competition statistically with BY FAR his best season ever, which ain’t likely.

I might disagree with this. If the team enjoys success and Roethlisberger puts up anything close to what he did last year (minus some of those picks), I think he gets strong consideration, due to the loss of Brown and Bell (even though he didn't play last year). There is a widely-held perception that the Steeler offense will be something less without those dudes and I don't think Ben has to blow everybody away to impress all of those who doubt. It's not like anyone connected to the league office has a vote. It's a panel of 50 sportswriters. Those same talking heads that will be impressed when Ben does it without those chuckleheads.

Captain Lemming
08-31-2019, 05:58 PM
I might disagree with this. If the team enjoys success and Roethlisberger puts up anything close to what he did last year (minus some of those picks), I think he gets strong consideration, due to the loss of Brown and Bell (even though he didn't play last year). There is a widely-held perception that the Steeler offense will be something less without those dudes and I don't think Ben has to blow everybody away to impress all of those who doubt. It's not like anyone connected to the league office has a vote. It's a panel of 50 sportswriters. Those same talking heads that will be impressed when Ben does it without those chuckleheads.

I get your point. I think having the “knuckleheads” gone and doing it without them is a strong factor worth considering. But he is not “liked” by the media. He is not “liked” by any large group save for us Steeler fans. If the performance is close, and a case can be made for someone else, he loses.

Steel Maniac
08-31-2019, 08:19 PM
Unfortunately I think your right cap.

Eich
09-15-2019, 04:23 PM
L O L at this thread

Oh wow
09-15-2019, 04:48 PM
L O L at this thread

Everyone knows Skip is a troll.