PDA

View Full Version : Training camp 8/3/19

Iron City Inc.
08-03-2019, 08:33 PM
Saturday practice in shells at Latrobe.

Off today 7 56 73 90 18.

Heavy fan base at St Vincent's .good to see.

Hodges n Dobbs out early today.

DB's sprint to jugs machine where their getting in their mandatory work.

Canaday working on his long snaps as was TE/LS Wood.

Note: Sayles doing a few long snaps as well. He was not bad at all.

Cam Sutten excites the crowd by catching n holding 5 punted balls. He got a huge ovation.

TE sled drill - Vance set that out today.
Pecking order 49 87 81 88 85
All TE's today showed good leg drive and kept the sled moving. Perhaps not the best group of blockers but the effort is there.

Moncrief doing the drills but he's only using his right hand to catch. At least he's getting some work in.

7 shots-
2 qb comp to 85 on an out with 44 way late on the cover TD.
2 rolls right hits 19 on a drag with a great diving grap. Highlight type catch.
2 goes through progressions cant find anyone open tucks it n runs up 2 gap for TD
2 inc pass on in cut to 82 who lets pass get to his body instead of hands catch. Tech is the key. Coaches chat with him on that. 31 in good cover on play.

5 49 open on an in cut pass hits his hands but he dropped it.
6 hits 13 on a drag nice hands grab. TD

1 on 1 -

Rader gets deep on 92 but pass overthrown
33 beats 46 on an out.
42 bats pass away from 81 , ref tossed flag for excessive contact.
49 beats 40 on a seam but pass overthrown.
35 beats 49d on a drag.
89 beats 27 on an out
24 runs short out ifo 55
85 beats 48 on a in cut 48 to tall in transition.
38 beats 44 on a 9 pass overthrown
87 beats 51 badly on an in cut , 51 missed jam and easy pitch n catch
81 on a in cut 48 in his pocket pass thrown to far in front inc.
40d bankets 40o on a 9

Goal line-
31 covers 82 on in cut perfect pass completed. Good play all around.31 with good but not perfect coverage.
44 bats pass away from 24 who ran a hook but didn't step back to the ball. He'll get better at that once coached up.
87 beats 49d on an out.
40 runs a hook covered well by 55 pass inc.
40 comp pass on in cut ifo diving 54

11 on 11-
Base nickel was where we started on D

2 qb 30 hits a 7 hole run , stop by 55 n 79
2 out to 19 ifo 23 who turns it up for nice gainer.
6 hand off to 10 on a 6 hole run good seal block by 74
2 24 gets 8 hole run bursts upfield with low pad level. 74d closest to T.
2 82 runs a seam off double TE set 31 with a quick read first defender in cover.
2 hands to 35 on 8 hole play n turns it up for good gainer. D a little slow to the edge.

11 on 11 -

2 inc to 19 who ran an out but pass underthrown

2 pass out quick on time to 10 on an out ifo 23

2 comp to 38 who sits on route reading zone coverage ifo 92 , 92 on the stop.

2 19 runs an out but 38 in his pocket pass is inc
5 deep pass to 17 who makes elevated combat catch ifo 37 n 2nd defender

5 comp to 14 on a 9 29 in close cover but didn't look back for the ball. Tech needs work.

5 pass inc 51 on a blitz and though 72 picked him up n rode him by pass was off target.

6 comp to 88 on a flair, short gainer.
6 hits 80 on a deep out ifo 46 . Defense in soft zone cover 2.
6 comp to 15 ifo Layne for short gainer.

Red Zone-
5 inc to 18 on a 9 22 in perfect coverage.
5 rolls left hits 87 on the run ifo 44 short gain.
5 Empty set 5 wide drag to 19 with 20 in man under cover easy TD.
5 rolling left pulls it down n runs for TD
6 80 on a post inc he had a step on db but ball off target
6 comp to 15 in an out , big rush by 42 who blew past 72 with low bend on the arc n got under the block.
6 comp to 87 in the flat who turns it up for TD. Blown coverage there.
6 under heavy pressure rolls away from rushers 40d runs him oob. He made right choice not tossing it into good coverage.
2 PICKED by 22 on a drag where he undercut route of 14 and takes it to the house. Really nice play. Excellent speed shown on the undercut.

Kickoff returns- order 10 82 13 n 80
No live tackling or blocking so we won't see the fruits of the practice until the games.
No kickoffs hit the ground.

5 19 beats 22 on a 9 for 30 yd gain even with tight cover.
2 comp to 13 on in cut low pass knee high but great grab by Wash who is having a real nice camp n a bunch of good reps.
2 74o flips n moves to left tackle. Got beat 2x off the edge but then settled in and was fair. More on this later.

2 hits 82 on deep in combat catch in heavy zone traffic , excellent pitch n catch.

2 hits 82 again on flag route nice running catch down the field for good gainer.

2 hits 81 on a seam long down field. Long strider can get some vertical separation.
2 rolls left 24 with a diving hands catch on sideline. Another good play by the rook.

Half a walk through today but good reps n some nice tech getting fine tuned out there today. We're not there yet but in a week we have made serious strides.

For me it's back to work now so I'm not going to keep these going. Hope you enjoyed them. Remember to read more then one camp report because a bunch goes on at once unlike a game. Too ,some folks reports are not always on the mark.
I'm still off for a day so if you have questions I'll do my best to answer them. For those of you like me who bleed the B n G keep the faith as this team has a lot to like.

AzStillers1989
08-03-2019, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the report.

hawaiiansteel
08-04-2019, 12:44 AM
Thanks for the report.

x 2.......

RuthlessBurgher
08-06-2019, 11:20 AM
For me it's back to work now so I'm not going to keep these going. Hope you enjoyed them. Remember to read more then one camp report because a bunch goes on at once unlike a game. Too ,some folks reports are not always on the mark.
I'm still off for a day so if you have questions I'll do my best to answer them. For those of you like me who bleed the B n G keep the faith as this team has a lot to like.

I'm back to work now as well. Thanks once again for all this, IC. It's a great time of year to be overlooking the rolling hills that surround Latrobe while shoulder pads are popping in the background, and reading your reports almost makes me feel like I'm back at St. Vincent's college myself. Always look forward to these posts each summer.

Reading posts like these when I got back to the hotel each night helped me still feel somewhat connected to the team even though I was mostly out of touch with the rest of the world as I got to spend some quality vacation time with the wife and kids.

It was our last family outing before my oldest ships off to Air Force basic training in San Antonio right after New Year's (I would think that strenuous workouts in January and February in Texas would be preferable to sweating through the Texas heat in July and August, for example), then over to Biloxi, Mississippi for Air Traffic Controller training in the spring time.

Instead of flying this time, we took the auto train outside of D.C. down to central Florida and then drove ourselves home after spending a few days in each of the Universal parks, stopping for a couple days each in South Carolina and Virginia to break up our journey back up to PA.

Great to have that time away with the family, but I'm more tired now than when we started, of course. Glad football's back, baby.

Iron City Inc.
08-06-2019, 11:39 AM
Thanks Ruthless glad to bring you n the group what I see good, bad n ugly. And though we don't all agree on Steeler matters that's what makes it interesting. Think how boring it would be if everyone had the same opinion anyway.

Oviedo
08-06-2019, 11:57 AM
I'm back to work now as well. Thanks once again for all this, IC. It's a great time of year to be overlooking the rolling hills that surround Latrobe while shoulder pads are popping in the background, and reading your reports almost makes me feel like I'm back at St. Vincent's college myself. Always look forward to these posts each summer.

Reading posts like these when I got back to the hotel each night helped me still feel somewhat connected to the team even though I was mostly out of touch with the rest of the world as I got to spend some quality vacation time with the wife and kids.

It was our last family outing before my oldest ships off to Air Force basic training in San Antonio right after New Year's (I would think that strenuous workouts in January and February in Texas would be preferable to sweating through the Texas heat in July and August, for example), then over to Biloxi, Mississippi for Air Traffic Controller training in the spring time.

Instead of flying this time, we took the auto train outside of D.C. down to central Florida and then drove ourselves home after spending a few days in each of the Universal parks, stopping for a couple days each in South Carolina and Virginia to break up our journey back up to PA.

Great to have that time away with the family, but I'm more tired now than when we started, of course. Glad football's back, baby.

Respect to your son for taking the path less traveled and serving his country

flippy
08-06-2019, 01:39 PM
Thanks for posting these. Interesting reads, but a good reminder I'm no where close to midseason form of remembering which number belongs to which player.

When I read thru, I can't help thinking of former players. When I see 92 and 55, I think Deebo and Porter, which is fine because they're just different LBs. But my old man brain hurts thinking Ola and Bush are 92 and 55. But the ones that really screw me up are someone like 80 - Johnny Holton. Who is that any way and how did he end up on our roster.

Some of the others like 24 make me wonder, why is Ike Taylor on offense now :). I get it. It's Snell. But until I see some of these guys playing in their numbers, reading the numbers takes me a while to get thru this thread.

RuthlessBurgher
08-06-2019, 02:22 PM
Respect to your son for taking the path less traveled and serving his country

He's a good kid.

Although I would personally prefer that he entered the service under a different Commander-In-Chief for sure, this has been his plan for a while now.

He is one of only two in his graduating H.S. class this year to enlist in the military (the other is a girl going into the Marine Corps).

Although I went a different route myself (the first in my family to go to college...I suspect that my daughter will follow my path), he's following the path of my father (Army) and grandfathers (both Navy), albeit a slightly different route via the Air Force.

He's grown up a lot over the last year or two (he lost about 35 pounds on his own before formally enlisting...although we may have all just put on 5 or more pounds during this recent vacation), and everyone says that a different person will be coming back to us (maturity wise) the first time he returns home on leave.

I was surprised when he was able to pass the air traffic controller test, since I believe that only certain recruits even qualify to take that test in the first place, and of that select group, only 4-8% or so actually pass it. I guess all of those years of video games were good for something after all, eh?

If the ATC thing works out for him, he could come out of the service and could potentially get a job in any airport in the country (or world, for that matter) that should pay him a six-figure salary. And he wouldn't be drowning in college debt either. Not bad at all.

Iron City Inc.
08-06-2019, 03:57 PM
Thanks for posting these. Interesting reads, but a good reminder I'm no where close to midseason form of remembering which number belongs to which player.

When I read thru, I can't help thinking of former players. When I see 92 and 55, I think Deebo and Porter, which is fine because they're just different LBs. But my old man brain hurts thinking Ola and Bush are 92 and 55. But the ones that really screw me up are someone like 80 - Johnny Holton. Who is that any way and how did he end up on our roster.

Some of the others like 24 make me wonder, why is Ike Taylor on offense now :). I get it. It's Snell. But until I see some of these guys playing in their numbers, reading the numbers takes me a while to get thru this thread.

When you watch the pre-season games you'll have a good idea already who is who. And you kind of know what they have been doing up to that point.