PDA

View Full Version : Training camp 8/1/19

Iron City Inc.
08-01-2019, 08:31 PM
Hodges n Wood first guys on the field. Wood n new wr Reilly wearing 83 next out n on the jugs machine.

Out today 26, 74 , 21,26

Punt returns again 10 17 82 20 n 18 all fielding them all but one. 82 dropped one heading oob but that was the only ball on the ground another real clean day for this group.
Sutton held on to 5 balls at once today and the crowd loved it. Cam Heyward took punts to pump the crowd and caught 3 before dropping them all.

OL working medicine ball drill catch n slide for footwork n power ( strike rising blow).

DL - working on explosion out of their stance staying low n winning leverage battle.

7 Shots- 7qb 89 runs a drag pass comes out low inc.

7 rolls n buys time lazer to 19 back of end zone TD.

7 17 on in cut ifo 34 for the TD. 34 tries to rip it out but Rogers hold on.
7 pass to 18 on a drag easy pitch n catch explosive out of his cut , 28 on D could not break it up.
2 rolls hits 13 pn a drag for a TD over 29 on coverage. One of many good hands catch by Wash today.
2 pass tipped by 20 and PICK by 37. (jugs practice paying off)
2 pass intended for 88 batted away by 49

1 on 1 - Bush beaten by 24 on an out.
49 beats 42 on a dig.
92 chucks 89 at the los n pass is inc.
30 beats 98 on an out
85 beats 56 on a 9 ( Chick is not 100%, lower body banged up you could see his speed was limited today)
39 toasts 46 on an out
24 beats 55 on an out
88 beats 42 on an out
81 beats 92 on a hook ( 92 held n pass still completed ifo him)
38 runs a drag beats 55 but 55 almost undercut route n pass was perfect.
49 drops pass with 42 in tight cover
24 beats 55 on an out but 55 fell coming out of back peddle
40 toasts 44 deep (ugly)

11 0n 11- 5qb 38 on a 6 hole run 98 with the T
38 on 2 hole dive 79 anchors and stuffs it.
24 on an 8 hole run 5 yds with 73 throwing good kick out block.
comp to 18 on a hook with 25 in cover.
24 on a counter , 37 on the stop good pulling block by 60.
pass caught by 81 nice toe tap on sideline but just got one in so inc. (nice hands grab though)
40 hits 7 hole on a counter with 62 pulling opens a nice hole for 5 yds.
( note 67 went against 74 Sayles and Sayles got walked about 3 yds up field but he stayed on his feet n was around the T)
picked on pass to the flat by 22 who sprints to the house.
Snell bounces a 6 hole run back inside and is stuffed. First time the rookie's vision was not correct, he has been sharp for the most part.
38 on a 6 hole run short gainer as 28 makes the T
38 on a 4 hole run got 3 but he got 3 where there was nothing to get. A decent gain out of nothing.
Branch n Gilmore stuff a 6 hole run. Not sure of the runner.
35 on a 1 hole dive 49 on the T
45 runs a wheel for 20 yds before going oob , Alex turns to me n I knew he'd be smiling.

Punting practice ...blocking and returns.

Berryman having a nice day hits one 69yds out at the 1. hits 3 others all over 50 yds with nice hang time.
Berry was not bad hitting a 44 , 46 n 38.
Do not get to excited either way on this. It's 84 degrees no wind and we're not in Baltimore.

Returners all did well but Spencer very explosive with his 4.3 speed in the open field.

11 on 11- 7 comp to 19 on a drag for about 15yds ( 5 wide set with 55 in good cover man under on 10)
7 comp to 89 on quick out with 98 in cover.
7 comp to 13 on a hook ifo Kelly. 13 showing excellent hands today.
2 comp to 14 on a hook 46 in cover.
2 inc 85 runs a flag route bracketed , pass should not have been thrown 20 n 29 in cover.
2 comp to 14 on a go with 31 in cover
2 inc on in cut to 82 with 31 undercuts it n bats it away. Nice bounce back by the rookie.
2 comp to 38 on an out with 28 in close cover.
2 inc underthrown for 30 with 55 in tight cover, might have been picked if on target.
5 rolls right hits 10 on an out in full sprint, accurate pass with 55 in cover
5 82 runs a 9 with 29 in coverage n had a step but ball over wrong shoulder inc.
5 14 runs a hook complete ifo 28 but if hitting was live it would have been a sack by 91
5 inc to Reilly(83) on an out tipped by 49
5 15 runs a deep in cut complete with good diving catch, 39 on coverage. Griffey has been quiet so good to see.

Special team punting drill. Note Wood getting some long snap reps. Performance was fair at best.

Again 82 has explosive first step on the return. All of the group have again shown good hands.

11 on 11 -
7 inc pass tipped away by 25. Burns with a good play.
7 td to 18 pass ankle high just snatched up by the rook and cut up for TD.
7 inc to 85 , 55 with solid cover tips it away.
7 inc to 89 on a seam pass dropped.
7 TD to 19 on a post.
7 comp to 38 but 34 with stop short gain.
2 inc to 40 in the flat , pass dropped.
2 inc drag by 85 but pass sails high
2 5 yd scramble ,Hawkins sealed Sayles inside on the run.
2 inc to 13 31 on the undercut another nice play by the rook.
2 Rader runs a seam busted coverage easy TD
2 13 runs a go but pass tipped by 31 , good position by the rook.

6 82 runs deep out for a TD. 41 beaten in cover.
6 49 runs a post n pass is dropped in perfect over the shoulder nice hands catch n TD.
6 under pressure rolls out inc to 83 ball just off target

Field goal practice. Bos n Wright hit from 41 46 and 51.
Bos has bigger leg but both guys on target today.

Steelers run a few fake plays off field goal plays. Nice to see a wrinkle or two out of our special teams.

Quick notes: 13 hands are game on today. He does not look anything like the rookie we saw last year.
Vance having a very solid n steady camp. Complete TE.
Johnson does not look like a rookie a week into it. Very solid so far.

1 on 1- linemen
65 holds out 56
65 beaten by 56 off the edge.
60 tackles 61 once he is beat.
67 keeps out 96
65O blown up by 72d
65 keeps out 72 trying to turn the arc ridden wide
76 keeps out 91
76 keeps out 64

11 on 11 - 2qb 30 on a draw into 5 hole for short gainer.
2 comp pass to 18 on in cut easy TD over 22 out of 4 wide set
2 38 on a counter behind 45 block but 55 knifes through for the T
2 8 hole run by 24 stuffed by 55 at los.
2 rolls left but 91 comes clean n blows play up in backfield.
2 24 on 7 hole run burst up field for big gainer.
2 comp to 82 on an out with 37 in coverage.
2 hands to 40 on 7 hole run 10yds for the TD.
5 inc to 14 who was covered, pass should not have been thrown.
5 inc pass tipped at los by 74
5 comp to Gentry for a TD at back of end zone. Nice hands catch. Crowd cheered.
6 inc on a deep go route pass off target, Banner rides 51 wide of the pocket.

Camp notes: Today was the best day of camp I have ever seen from a execution stand point. Crisp route running by the wr's, passes were on target, rookies making plays like vets. O line pulling well TE's showing ball skills. Snell was really on his game today. Vision is very good n has a burst which I believe some of us questioned a bit.
On D our #1 pick started making plays. Took him a few days but he flashed today. Layne too started breaking on balls better and looked better in coverage as the day went on. 2nd year man Edmunds playing faster then a year ago. Has shown improvement.
And Danny Smith's special teams did a bunch of good things today n returners looked very good.

I do not want blow sunshine but today was special at Latrobe.

Sager
08-01-2019, 09:23 PM
Don't know how you write all this out but great write-ups Iron!

Watt & Dupree both out today too. Adeniyi looked confident for sure.
Nelson had some great plays. Him and Haden are in sync together.
Bush getting there. Speed evident. Anticipation is needed to be the playmaker.
Gilbert III gave up an over the shoulder pass TD I think he shouldn't have.
Safeties didn't impress me so much. Edmunds is fairly good but needs to be more vocal and think he reacts more than he reads. Depth is very troublesome. Kenny guy is serviceable by I don't trust our safety depth if 34 or 21 stay down.
O-line is elite. Feiler with the starters.
Juju lookin good. Rogers made plays today. Few TDs. Johnson and Washington were a wash to me today. Don't think Moncrief got in on the practice today. Moncrief and Juju are becoming new best buds though.
Rudolph above Dobbs. Dobbs still not very improved anywhere. Rudolph looks alright, makin good throws to his open men.
Heyward leading 24/7.
Willie Gay being vocal. Batch with Ben too.

Iron City Inc.
08-01-2019, 09:52 PM
Don't know how you write all this out but great write-ups Iron!

Watt & Dupree both out today too. Adeniyi looked confident for sure.
Nelson had some great plays. Him and Haden are in sync together.
Bush getting there. Speed evident. Anticipation is needed to be the playmaker.
Gilbert III gave up an over the shoulder pass TD I think he shouldn't have.
Safeties didn't impress me so much. Edmunds is fairly good but needs to be more vocal and think he reacts more than he reads. Depth is very troublesome. Kenny guy is serviceable by I don't trust our safety depth if 34 or 21 stay down.
O-line is elite. Feiler with the starters.
Juju lookin good. Rogers made plays today. Few TDs. Johnson and Washington were a wash to me today. Don't think Moncrief got in on the practice today. Moncrief and Juju are becoming new best buds though.
Rudolph above Dobbs. Dobbs still not very improved anywhere. Rudolph looks alright, makin good throws to his open men.
Heyward leading 24/7.
Willie Gay being vocal. Batch with Ben too.

Thanks Sager I just take a lot of notes.
I agree with you on our lack of depth at safety. Kelly has looked okay but he was a bit quiet today. Got to see him in game situations. Hilton could fill in there if he had to with Sutten moving to the slot. Lets hope Davis is back soon.

Buzz
08-02-2019, 09:23 AM
Thanks Sager I just take a lot of notes.
I agree with you on our lack of depth at safety. Kelly has looked okay but he was a bit quiet today. Got to see him in game situations. Hilton could fill in there if he had to with Sutten moving to the slot. Lets hope Davis is back soon.

Lost the chance to sign Tre Boston. Eric Berry still available.

Steel Maniac
08-02-2019, 10:35 AM
Lost the chance to sign Tre Boston. Eric Berry still available.

by the way management goes about it's business towards the position, they just don't put any value in the safety position. Not really. lip service is one thing, actions are another.

Iron City Inc.
08-02-2019, 02:14 PM
by the way management goes about it's business towards the position, they just don't put any value in the safety position. Not really. lip service is one thing, actions are another.
Edmunds n Davis were a 1n 2 .

Steel Maniac
08-02-2019, 03:23 PM
Edmunds n Davis were a 1n 2 .

We didn't have to use a high draft pick on a "maybe" safety (edmonds) if we'd have signed one of those plethora of safeties that were available coming into the 2018 season. I'm frustrated by this coaching (scouting ) staff not being able to get someone to play at a decent level at this position.
What your sensing from me is just frustration.

hawaiiansteel
08-02-2019, 06:28 PM
We didn't have to use a high draft pick on a "maybe" safety (edmonds) if we'd have signed one of those plethora of safeties that were available coming into the 2018 season.

which one would you have signed?