PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roethlisberger, JuJu Smith-Schuster plan to answer bell

Jooser
07-24-2019, 10:44 AM
https://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/30996/ben-roethlisberger-juju-smith-schuster-plan-to-answer-bell-for-steelers

Ben Roethlisberger, JuJu Smith-Schuster plan to answer bell

Jeremy FowlerESPN Staff Writer

The Pittsburgh Steelers open training camp on July 26 at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, Pennsylvania. Here’s a closer look at a few storylines:

What more do the Steelers need from Ben Roethlisberger to flourish without Antonio Brown and Le'Veon Bell?

They need one of his best seasons of his 15-year career, for starters. The Steelers are relying on their 37-year-old veteran to offset the loss of serious weaponry. Roethlisberger has a way of elevating a supporting cast -- 11 different receivers have caught at least 100 passes in Pittsburgh's offense during the Big Ben era -- and he needs Vance McDonald, James Washington or someone else to become No. 12 soon enough. Expect Roethlisberger to rely on his no-huddle offense, mixing a quick-strike passing game with run checks at the line. He led the league with 5,129 passing yards in 2018, and don't be surprised if he contends for 5,000 once again.

NorthCoast
07-24-2019, 01:03 PM
According to some NFL "analysts " we should be very surprised if Roethlisberger can match his 2018 passing stats.

Back to the old argument, does the QB make the WR, or the WR make the QB.
We will get the answer from OAK this season.

Steel Maniac
07-24-2019, 01:10 PM
Carr isn’t Ben; Brown won’t be putting up near the same numbers he put up in Pittsburgh.

RuthlessBurgher
07-24-2019, 02:50 PM
According to some NFL "analysts " we should be very surprised if Roethlisberger can match his 2018 passing stats

He shouldn't...not because of regression in his game due to age, though.

He shouldn't match his 2018 passing stats because we shouldn't be passing that much.

I hope Randy Fichtner learns from his first year as O.C. and opts for a more balanced attack this year.

NorthCoast
07-24-2019, 05:40 PM

He shouldn't match his 2018 passing stats because we shouldn't be passing that much.

I hope Randy Fichtner learns from his first year as O.C. and opts for a more balanced attack this year.

^^ .... amen

hawaiiansteel
07-24-2019, 06:43 PM

the last game against the Bengals is a classic example. we're missing AB, it's a must win and Cincinnati has one of the worst run defenses in the league.

so what do we do? Ben throws the ball 45 times while Conner and Samuels combined carry the ball only 16 times.

Iron City Inc.
07-24-2019, 07:29 PM
the last game against the Bengals is a classic example. we're missing AB, it's a must win and Cincinnati has one of the worst run defenses in the league.

so what do we do? Ben throws the ball 45 times while Conner and Samuels combined carry the ball only 16 times.

I watched that game but I don't recall did Cinc have 7 or 8 in the box 45 times causing us to audible to the better option? That is where sometimes the #'s don't tell the entire story. 45 passes is not a unusual number but how we got into or out of passing plays and why is really something that requires play break down. I get the point their run D is weak yet we pass. But why.... and there lies the explanation behind the #'s.

hawaiiansteel
07-24-2019, 07:56 PM
I watched that game but I don't recall did Cinc have 7 or 8 in the box 45 times causing us to audible to the better option? That is where sometimes the #'s don't tell the entire story. 45 passes is not a unusual number but how we got into or out of passing plays and why is really something that requires play break down. I get the point their run D is weak yet we pass. But why.... and there lies the explanation behind the #'s.

we only scored 16 points, Ben threw for under 300 yards with only 1 TD pass along with one interception.

doesn't sound to me like Cincy had 7 or 8 in the box all 45 times.

Iron City Inc.
07-25-2019, 12:35 PM
we only scored 16 points, Ben threw for under 300 yards with only 1 TD pass along with one interception.

doesn't sound to me like Cincy had 7 or 8 in the box all 45 times.
Checking to the better play option still requires execution. For whatever reason our O wasn't on that day. Why ? IDK. For the most part our future HOF Qb gets us into better plays more often then not so moving forward I'm confident in that aspect for 19.

Oh wow
07-25-2019, 12:57 PM
Checking to the better play option still requires execution. For whatever reason our O wasn't on that day. Why ? IDK. For the most part our future HOF Qb gets us into better plays more often then not so moving forward I'm confident in that aspect for 19.

One thing that concerned me about that game is JuJu struggled to get open and the other WR’s were even worse at making plays.

hawaiiansteel
07-25-2019, 02:55 PM
One thing that concerned me about that game is JuJu struggled to get open and the other WR’s were even worse at making plays.

exactly, which is why I still can't understand why we would pass 45 times and only give Conner and Samuels 16 carries between them against one of the worst run defenses in the NFL.

Northern_Blitz
07-25-2019, 03:04 PM
exactly, which is why I still can't understand why we would pass 45 times and only give Conner and Samuels 16 carries between them against one of the worst run defenses in the NFL.

Maybe it's got something to do with low successful run rate percentages?

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/steelers-need-higher-successful-play-rates-out-of-running-backs-in-2019/

hawaiiansteel
07-25-2019, 04:47 PM
Maybe it's got something to do with low successful run rate percentages?

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/steelers-need-higher-successful-play-rates-out-of-running-backs-in-2019/

against the New England Patriots* and with Conner out, Jaylen Samuels ran the ball 19 times for 142 yards.

so we can run against the Super Bowl champs but not the Bengals' 28th ranked run defense?

Oh wow
07-26-2019, 09:37 AM
against the New England Patriots* and with Conner out, Jaylen Samuels ran the ball 19 times for 142 yards.

so we can run against the Super Bowl champs but not the Bengals' 28th ranked run defense?

I think with Samuels we probably lined up in more “passing” formations which made it easier for Samuels to run on the Pats.

I think our offense is more flexible with Samuels but his blocking was horrible last year.

One thing to consider is Ben may have tried too hard to prove he could win without AB so we were in pass happy mode.

Northern_Blitz
07-26-2019, 09:55 AM

I'm not defending the decision.

Like you, I'm trying to understand why it was made.

My guess is also that the game plan for that game got torn up when AB decided not to show.

STH70
07-26-2019, 10:38 AM
I'm not defending the decision.

Like you, I'm trying to understand why it was made.

My guess is also that the game plan for that game got torn up when AB decided not to show.
This would be my guess as well. The decision that AB would not play probably came after he didn't show up for the Saturday walk-through. It's almost impossible to scrap a game-plan and install a new one 24 hours before game time. And I'm sure AB was a big part of the game-plan as usual.
Just another way for AB to screw the Steelers and get more guaranteed money.

Oh wow
07-26-2019, 10:49 AM
This would be my guess as well. The decision that AB would not play probably came after he didn't show up for the Saturday walk-through. It's almost impossible to scrap a game-plan and install a new one 24 hours before game time. And I'm sure AB was a big part of the game-plan as usual.
Just another way for AB to screw the Steelers and get more guaranteed money.

Wasn’t AB out all week?

I’m not sure if it was the game plan as much as not having one of the best WR in the game getting a ton of attention.

Disco1981
07-26-2019, 11:22 AM
I think with Samuels we probably lined up in more “passing” formations which made it easier for Samuels to run on the Pats.

I think our offense is more flexible with Samuels but his blocking was horrible last year.

One thing to consider is Ben may have tried too hard to prove he could win without AB so we were in pass happy mode.

Was it horrible or, Is that just your opinion? Coming out of college his "worst" attribute was running the football actually...His best was, his Jack -of-all - trades ability to do everything "pretty well"...Running,receiving, BLOCKING, spitting out, H- back, smallish receiving type TE...Not being a smart Ass, just asking

Oh wow
07-26-2019, 11:38 AM
Was it horrible or, Is that just your opinion? Coming out of college his "worst" attribute was running the football actually...His best was, his Jack -of-all - trades ability to do everything "pretty well"...Running,receiving, BLOCKING, spitting out, H- back, smallish receiving type TE...Not being a smart Ass, just asking

My eyes saw Samuels run and catch the ball well last year and totally whiff on at least 3 blocks that led to sacks or QB hits.

I don’t care what they said he did well in college. In our uniform his blocking last year was terrible.

STH70
07-26-2019, 12:06 PM
Wasn’t AB out all week?

I’m not sure if it was the game plan as much as not having one of the best WR in the game getting a ton of attention.
As I recall, AB had a meltdown at Wednesday practice. Missed Thursday and Friday but still could have played.
Then he skipped the Saturday walk-through and the Saturday meeting which is when Tomlin decided he would not play.
Of course we were going to miss AB. But the offense has a much better chance of success if they have a chance to adjust the game plan.
Just as I think the offense will be much better than they were in the Bengals game without AB for this entire season. You adjust to the players you have available.

Oh wow
07-26-2019, 12:47 PM
Ok. I thought he was out most of the week with an “injury”

Steel Maniac
07-26-2019, 12:48 PM

Agreed. That's just bad game planning.

STH70
07-26-2019, 01:25 PM
Agreed. That's just bad game planning.
How? The game-plan was developed around AB and a pass happy offense, as it had been every game of the season. Then AB decides to QUIT on his team the day before the game. So let's blame the game-plan without it's most important piece for a mediocre performance. That damn Tomlin. Sheese.

hawaiiansteel
07-26-2019, 03:51 PM
How? The game-plan was developed around AB and a pass happy offense, as it had been every game of the season. Then AB decides to QUIT on his team the day before the game. So let's blame the game-plan without it's most important piece for a mediocre performance. That damn Tomlin. Sheese.

I would blame the OC who calls the plays more than I would Tomlin.

we were missing our star WR and the Bengals have one of the worst run defenses in the league yet we still throw the ball 45 times and only run the ball 16 times?

Oh wow
07-26-2019, 03:57 PM
I would blame the OC who calls the plays more than I would Tomlin.

we were missing our star WR and the Bengals have one of the worst run defenses in the league yet we still throw the ball 45 times and only run the ball 16 times?

How many audibles from running plays?

We never know these details yet we (myself included) always act like all the plays are called in the huddle. Sometimes we change plays at the LOS.

hawaiiansteel
07-26-2019, 04:09 PM
How many audibles from running plays?

We never know these details yet we (myself included) always act like all the plays are called in the huddle. Sometimes we change plays at the LOS.

my point is that we were very unbalanced in our pass/run ratio last season and the Bengals game illustrated that.

we're missing our star WR, playing against the 28th worst run defense in the NFL, and we pass 45 times and run 16 times while only scoring one TD the whole game. whatever the reason for this imbalance, we struggled offensively agaist the Bengals and Fichtner failed to adjust. I hope he will learn from this and be an improved OC in his second year.

Oh wow
07-26-2019, 09:15 PM
my point is that we were very unbalanced in our pass/run ratio last season and the Bengals game illustrated that.

we're missing our star WR, playing against the 28th worst run defense in the NFL, and we pass 45 times and run 16 times while only scoring one TD the whole game. whatever the reason for this imbalance, we struggled offensively agaist the Bengals and Fichtner failed to adjust. I hope he will learn from this and be an improved OC in his second year.

What if Fitch called 10 more running plays and Ben checked out of them?

That’s something we will never know.

We just assume the play that is run is the play that was called.

hawaiiansteel
07-27-2019, 05:19 PM
Mark Kaboly
@MarkKaboly

It’s obvious through 2 practices that JuJu Smith-Schuster has taken it to another level.

27 Jul 2019

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly/status/1155208618792370178?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1155208618792370178&ref_url =http%3A%2F%2Fwww.steelersuniverse.com%2Fforums%2F showthread.php%2F30624-JuJu-Smith-Schuster-Cited-As-One-Of-PFF%25E2%2580%2599s-Biggest-Draft-Misevaluations%2Fpage2

Steel Maniac
07-27-2019, 08:03 PM

Boom... checkmate....

hawaiiansteel
07-28-2019, 09:22 PM
Smith-Schuster’s star continues to ascend

By Dale Lolley
Posted on July 28, 2019

LATROBE, Pa. -- Every time JuJu Smith-Schuster catches a ball at training camp, even if there isn't a defender involved, it brings cheers from the assembled crowd.

Every kid is yelling "JuJu" constantly, trying to get the young receiver's attention.

After practice, he could spend hours signing autographs and still not quench the desire of all the fans who want one.

If it sounds like familiar behavior, it's because that is how fans used to treat Antonio Brown when he was at Saint Vincent College.

Smith-Schuster, it seems, hasn't just replaced Brown as the No. 1 receiver in the Steelers offense, he's also replaced him in the hearts of Steelers fans.

At 22, Smith-Schuster is already one of the most popular players in the league. He's also poised to become one of the top receivers in the game -- if he's not already there.

It surprises even Smith-Schuster.

"I can't believe it has happened," he told me. "It's one of those things where I sit back and look in the mirror and I'm like, 'Wow. I can't believe where I'm at today.'"

And the scary thing is that he's still getting better.

"He's not even close to it," Steelers receivers coach Darryl Drake told me Sunday of Smith-Schuster's full potential.

"He's still learning. He's still absorbing. He's still growing. The sky is the limit for him. He's the kind of player that has different talents from other guys. He's not just a jet. He's a guy that has a tremendous amount of upside. And he has the right frame of mind. As long as he keeps that, stays humble and works, he'll continue to grow."

That has to be concerning to opponents.

Smith-Schuster has 169 catches for 2,343 yards and 14 touchdowns in his first two seasons, the most for any player before his 23rd birthday in NFL history. The league turns 100 this season.

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2019/07/28/steelers-juju-smith-schuster-star-on-the-rise-dl/

Captain Lemming
07-28-2019, 10:07 PM
Mark Kaboly
@MarkKaboly

It’s obvious through 2 practices that JuJu Smith-Schuster has taken it to another level.

27 Jul 2019

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly/status/1155208618792370178?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1155208618792370178&ref_url =http%3A%2F%2Fwww.steelersuniverse.com%2Fforums%2F showthread.php%2F30624-JuJu-Smith-Schuster-Cited-As-One-Of-PFF%25E2%2580%2599s-Biggest-Draft-Misevaluations%2Fpage2

Am I the only one who is NOT excited that we hear that EVERY DAY that yet another receiver looks like the next Jerry Rice.......against OUR secondary.

Steel Maniac
07-29-2019, 01:24 AM
Stop stating the obvious captain; oh.... I take that back. You can state that and it’s okay. If I’d have said it, one of my stalkers would come behind me and and make a big deal of it. :D

hawaiiansteel
07-29-2019, 01:36 AM
Stop stating the obvious captain; oh.... I take that back. You can state that and it’s okay. If I’d have said it, one of my stalkers would come behind me and and make a big deal of it. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cen1SvpTsYk

Oh wow
07-29-2019, 06:42 AM
Am I the only one who is NOT excited that we hear that EVERY DAY that yet another receiver looks like the next Jerry Rice.......against OUR secondary.

It’s 7 on 7 right?

If a DB makes an INT do you get excited or depressed about our QB throwing an interception?

Steel Maniac
07-29-2019, 10:29 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cen1SvpTsYk

Hahahahaha..not really

Captain Lemming
07-29-2019, 10:44 AM
It’s 7 on 7 right?

If a DB makes an INT do you get excited or depressed about our QB throwing an interception?

Ben is a known quantity and is not in a real competition. I can see for example him intentionally throwing dangerous passes to see if he can trust a receiver to "go and get it".

The young guys? Sure, as they are competing for the number 2 job.
I'll tell you it has me wondering about Dobbs when reports seem to indicate he is throwing most of the picks.

Steel Maniac
07-29-2019, 10:49 AM
I’m not worried about that with Dobbs. Mahomes threw a lot of picks in practice as well before last season. I’m not saying, I’m just saying......;)

Captain Lemming
07-29-2019, 11:26 AM

Oh plueeze.

Ruthless debates me when he disagrees

Oh Wow comes at me PLENTY, look at most of my comments.
LITERALLY HALF of the debates with me are him.
Dude sometimes argues with me......without actually "disagreeing" with what I said. :)

I just go at it with em, I aint putting them on ignore so I CANT SEE their retorts and then talk about em incessantly.

I like you man but I Gotta agree with Hawaiian......
80s "old school" style :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YvAYIJSSZY

Oh wow
07-29-2019, 11:33 AM
Oh plueeze.

Ruthless debates me.
Dude argues with me......without actually "disagreeing" with what I said. :)

Gotta agree with HAwaiian......
80s style :)

You love it tho.

... and I don’t always disagree with you. Just when you are wrong.

Captain Lemming
07-29-2019, 11:39 AM
You love it tho.

... and I don’t always disagree with you. Just when you are wrong.

Dude, if that were true THE ONLY ARGUMENT YOU WOULD HAVE EVER HAD with me would be drafting Juju. :)

Steel Maniac
07-29-2019, 11:28 PM
Oh plueeze.

Dude sometimes argues with me......without actually "disagreeing" with what I said. :)

I just go at it with em, I aint putting them on ignore so I CANT SEE their retorts and then talk about em incessantly.

They have in the past; your right about that. But they’ve got me to stalk now so your off the hook now. :)

Oh wow
07-30-2019, 08:20 AM
Oh plueeze.

Dude post constantly and then claims people are stalking him...

He’s the new guy in town who keeps going to the local sports bar to tell the regulars they only go there when he shows up.

Northern_Blitz
07-30-2019, 10:52 AM

This is what I hate about camp / pre-season.

Every positive report might also be a negative report.

Last year, Alex K noted that the D had more picks than any other year he's been tracking them.

Turns out, that's probably because our QB2 and QB3 last year were really good at throwing to guys on D...who weren't actually all that good at catching INTs.

Oh wow
07-30-2019, 11:18 AM
This is what I hate about camp / pre-season.

Every positive report might also be a negative report.

Last year, Alex K noted that the D had more picks than any other year he's been tracking them.

Turns out, that's probably because our QB2 and QB3 last year were really good at throwing to guys on D...who weren't actually all that good at catching INTs.

Ben also threw a healthy amount during the season.

Any good news is also bad news depending on how you want to spin it.

hawaiiansteel
08-01-2019, 05:44 PM
Ben Roethlisberger: 'I feel like I love football again'

GERRY DULAC
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
AUG 1, 2019

It seemed like a curious comment coming from a quarterback entering his 16th NFL season who has won two Super Bowls and owns every significant team passing record.

“I feel like I love football again,” Ben Roethlisberger said.

It was the “again” part that merited an explanation.

“I don’t know if I can put my finger on a particular reason, but it just feels that way,” Roethlisberger said Thursday at Steelers training camp in Latrobe.

“I always love doing it, but I think loving it but having fun doing it, I think a lot of things can contribute to it. You get a rejuvenated feel at this point in your career. You can either just go through the motions or you get it going. I feel like I got it going.”

A lot of people are noticing, including his teammates.

Several Steelers players have remarked over the past couple days how relaxed and much fun Roethlisberger appears to be having at Saint Vincent College. It would be easy to suggest the departure of Antonio Brown and some of the consternation that went with his presence is a big reason for Roethlisberger’s attitude.

Or perhaps it’s the calm I’ll-show-you determination that comes from having a lot of unfounded national criticism directed at him about his leadership and his apparent bad relationship with his former All-Pro receiver in the offseason.

But none of that was ever mentioned by Roethlisberger. If anything, the drudgery of another training camp — his 16th, five years more than his next closest teammate (Ramon Foster) — could have the opposite effect. Or, as Pro Bowl guard David DeCastro wryly noted, “Camp is camp.”

Still, there seems to be an extra bounce in the quarterback’s step this year.

“It’s not easy, but it’s not forced, its natural,” Roethlisberger said when asked bout his demeanor at training camp. “I think, in part, it’s my faith, my family, the guys out here, the new contract for three years. There’s a lot of peace in my life right now and I’m enjoying it.”

And his teammates are taking note. Tight end Vance McDonald, who is in his second full camp with the Steelers and has a locker next to Roethlisberger at the team’s South Side practice facility, said, “Just his whole approach and demeanor is completely different this year. I think he’s on fire.”

Pro Bowl left tackle Alejandro Villanueva, who protects Roethlisberger’s blind side, said Roethlisberger’s attitude is “contagious” and remarkable to see after so many training camps.

“Ben has always been an amazing player to play for because he transmits a lot of that competitive edge to the players,” Villanueva said. “You don’t know if you should be competitive all the time [in practice] and when you play with Ben, you realize you have to be competitive all the time.

“For him to come out to practice every day ... come out in all the periods, give the best he can, is something that’s contagious to us younger guys that are following his lead.”

Example: In the afternoon practice on Wednesday, Roethlisberger ran a quarterback sneak from his own 1-yard line and, because the defensive players are not allowed to touch him, he continued to run 99 yards for a playful touchdown. Along the way, he exchanged laterals with JuJu Smith-Schuster before spiking the ball in the end zone.

“You just try to get through it,” DeCastro said. “The older you get the more fun you have with it to get through it.”

But none of that should be mistaken for any lack of competitive desire on Roethlisberger’s part.

“I don’t know that it will ever leave me,” said Roethlisberger, who led the NFL in attempts (675), completions (452), passing yards (5,129) and interceptions (16) in 2018. “That’s just something that drives me. I can go out there and act like, ‘OK, guys, let’s just try to learn some things.’ But once I get going, then the juices get flowing and you want to win.”

Those juices include feeling rejuvenated.

“I told my wife when I was home the other day, she was asking how it was going,” he said. “I said I feel like I love football again. She got a big smile on her face and said it made her happy to hear that.”

Probably a lot of others, too.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2019/08/01/ben-roethlisberger-steelers-training-camp-latrobe/stories/201908010135

Steel Maniac
08-02-2019, 03:25 PM
That was a shot to all the drama that's been around here for the last couple of years. I get it.

hawaiiansteel
08-02-2019, 03:50 PM
That was a shot to all the drama that's been around here for the last couple of years. I get it.

I think first Haley and then AB took the fun out of playing for Ben.

Oh wow
08-02-2019, 04:47 PM
Well I hope loving the game translates to more wins.

Sugar
08-02-2019, 05:16 PM
I wonder how much of the fun has to do with being pretty much done with the business side of football? He got what would almost surely be his last contract in the off-season. It might be nice just being confident in what you have but not having to prove it to anyone else to make a buck.

Mr.wizard
08-08-2019, 06:57 AM
I wonder how much of the fun has to do with being pretty much done with the business side of football? He got what would almost surely be his last contract in the off-season. It might be nice just being confident in what you have but not having to prove it to anyone else to make a buck.

I think this has everything to do with it, his legacy is cemented and the organization has locked him up until his retirement with a nice chunk of change.