PDA

View Full Version : It now seems fashionable to want to see the Steelers fail

hawaiiansteel
07-23-2019, 02:31 PM
It now seems fashionable to want to see the Steelers fail

The Steelers may be a traditional powerhouse, but they’re one that hasn’t won a title in a long time. They’re perceived to be on the downturn, and that is why it’s so easy for national pundits to attack them at every opportunity.

By Anthony Defeo@Defeoman Jul 22, 2019

In case you haven’t noticed, the Steelers aren’t receiving a whole lot of love from the national pundits this offseason.

That’s right, not many are predicting Pittsburgh will be much more than mediocre in 2019, with the average win-total sitting at around 9.5 or so.

As for those national pundits, it seems they never let an opportunity pass by without reminding the public just how bad the Steelers possibly could be this season.

Former Steelers corner Brandon Boykin was the latest to sit in front of a camera and let the audience know why he thought Pittsburgh could really, really suck next year. One reason he listed while appearing on the NFL Network (and I can’t believe I never thought of this during my many weeks co-hosting The Steelers Hangover with Bryan Anthony Davis this offseason— but then again, I’m not a former player, so what do I know?) was that Pittsburgh’s offense could really feel the loss of receiver Antonio Brown.

Boykin also said the Steelers could be in trouble in 2019 if Ben Roethlisberger goes down and one of the backups has to play. (In other news, did you know if you broke both of your hands, you’d be in deep trouble if you tried to drive your car with your feet?)

In fairness to Boykin, he’s just like so many others out there, a person who is simply going out of his way to look for reasons why the Steelers will soon fall on hard times.

It’s fashionable to want to see the Steelers fail these days, just like it’s fashionable to want to see the Cleveland Browns succeed.

It’s the world we live in. People love the underdog, and they hate the king.

Let’s face it, in a national sense, the Steelers are the Yankees. They are Notre Dame. They are the Lakers. They are (and I realize this will hurt a lot) the Cowboys.

You might ask, “Well, don’t all of those teams you’ve mentioned get a lot of love nationally?” Of course they do. The Steelers also generally receive a lot of national love. We’re just too busy noticing the hate—especially this year since, to reiterate, it’s really in-style.

In fact, it used to be fashionable to predict that Pittsburgh would win the Super Bowl just about every offseason (how many times in recent years did the great writer, Peter King go out of his way to predict such things)? We may not remember all of the King’s past love now that he’s predicting the Steelers will be fairly mediocre in 2019.

Back to the Yankees, Cowboys, etc. When you’re a team with a championship tradition, people just want to see you fail more. This is especially the case when you haven’t won in a very long time—something that is the reality for all of those aforementioned teams who continue to generate ratings and have, well, annoying fan bases (at least that’s the perception) who travel everywhere to see them.

The Patriots, your reigning Super Bowl champions, will soon experience this. Oh, sure, they have plenty of hate now (“I Cheer For the Steelers And Any Team Playing the Patriots,” reads the t-shirt you bought down at the Strip District), but they’re currently too darn successful to care about such things. And they certainly aren’t all that worried about any hate they may receive from the national pundits.

But there will come a day when New England is just another team with a championship tradition that hasn’t actually won in a while. The quarterback will be gone. The coach will be retired. The fans will go from cocky and arrogant to just plain annoying: “Why are there so many of them in this section? Don’t they know their team hasn’t won in years?”

The Steelers are that team right now. Maybe that will change if they win a seventh title this season, but if they don’t, you can expect more of the same hate and piling on in the 2020 offseason.

The Pittsburgh Steelers may be a giant, but they’re not one that people are afraid of right now. And that’s why it’s much easier to attack them from all sides.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/7/22/20701774/it-now-seems-fashionable-to-want-to-see-the-steelers-fail-espn-nfl-network-news-fans-twitter

RuthlessBurgher
07-23-2019, 02:50 PM
PFT’s pre-training camp (for most teams) power rankings

Posted by Mike Florio on July 23, 2019, 7:31 AM EDT

1. Patriots (final 2018 ranking No. 1): The Kings of the Hill remains perched there until someone can knock them off.

2. Chiefs (No. 4): The non-suspension of Tyreek Hill keeps the Chiefs in position to topple the Patriots.

3. Eagles (No. 5): If Carson Wentz stays healthy, it could be two Super Bowl wins in three years.

4. Cowboys (No. 7): Expectations are high, but too many players want/need to get paid.

5. Bears (No. 9): When not having a kicker in July is a team’s biggest problem, a team doesn’t have many problems.

6. Colts (No. 8): If Andrew Luck is going to satisfy Jim Irsay’s desire to win three or more Super Bowls, it’s time to get to work.

7. Rams (No. 3): If Todd Gurley‘s best days are behind him, the Rams will be regrouping, at best, in 2019.

8. Saints (No. 2): Between a pair of heart-shattering postseason losses and Father Time gaining ground on Drew Brees, the Saints could be moving in the wrong direction, at least temporarily.

9. Seahawks (No. 11): If 2018 was 2012 all over again, maybe 2019 will be 2013?

10. Steelers (No. 15): They’re pissed, they’re determined, they’re on the same page, and they’re potentially very dangerous.

11. Chargers (No. 6): Philip Rivers, citing the team’s many close games in 2018, has said the Chargers could have been 16-0 or 6-10. Getting to 12-4 again may not be easy, especially since they’ll take no one by surprise.

12. Vikings (No. 14): It’s possibly an up-or-out year for Kirk Cousins, with fewer excuses for subpar play.

13. Browns (No. 16): How will a team with sky-high expectations but limited achievement handle adversity? That question could get answered as soon as Week One vs. Tennessee.

14. Ravens (No. 10): It’s the Lamar Jackson show in Baltimore. What that actually means is one of the NFL’s best-kept secrets.

15. Packers (No. 21): “The audible thing” won’t be a thing for very long, because ultimately Aaron Rodgers will do what he wants to do, and the Packers won’t do anything about it.

16. Jaguars (No. 27): They’re starting at No. 16. They could be finishing much, much higher.

17. Texans (No. 12): At least I won’t have to worry about the G.M. calling to complain about a five-spot drop.

18. Panthers (No. 17): If Cam Newton can get and stay healthy, the Panthers can be dangerous, again.

19. Falcons (No. 18): With all three coordinators out and three new ones in (and the head coach serving as one of them), it makes sense to watch and wait.

20. Titans (No. 13): They can beat anyone. They can lose to anyone. Until they take care of the latter, they’re in danger of sliding to the basement of the AFC South.

21. Bills (No. 23): Josh Allen has more weapons, and he could be on track to becoming a star.

22. 49ers (No. 29): Year Three of the Shanahan-Lynch regime brings another chance to get the players they need to make the offense go. Keeping key players healthy is the biggest challenge.

23. Broncos (No. 24): Vic Fangio is going all in, and it could make the Broncos a surprise team in 2019.

24. Jets (No. 31): With the stink of the Maccagnan firing lifting, the Jets could be quietly laying the foundation for something unexpected.

25. Lions (No. 22): The Lions love that no one is taking them seriously.

26. Buccaneers (No. 30): Bruce Arians gives the Bucs a nice bump, but it still comes down to Jameis Winston.

27. Washington (No. 20): Yes, there’s talent. But there are still real issues with the folks running the show, and they’ll find a way at some point to keep the team from being as good as it can be.

28. Raiders (No. 26): Jon Gruden is trying to will this team to relevance, like Dr. Frankenstein trying to will a cadaver of mismatched parts to life.

29. Bengals (No. 28): Other than the pre-Mariota Titans, has there been a less interesting team in the last 30 years?

30. Dolphins (No. 19): They decry tanking talk, because they have to. The reality is that the Dolphins are tearing it down in the hopes of someday building it up.

31. Giants (No. 25): It’s becoming more and more clear that this team currently makes all major decisions with a dart and/or Ouija board.

32. Cardinals (No. 32): If it works, it’s going to be spectacular. For now, though, someone has to be at the bottom of the stack — and the Cardinals have earned it.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/23/pfts-pre-training-camp-for-most-teams-power-rankings/

Oh wow
07-23-2019, 04:01 PM
Not sure people want to see us fail. I think sports writers make bold predictions because they want to get ahead of the curve.

Plus, we have been in the conversation for the last 5 years and eventually you have a down year and folks think it’s bound to happen due to losing weapons on O.

Northern_Blitz
07-23-2019, 04:03 PM
I find that talking heads often pick against the Steelers in the North / Central.

I think it's because the Steelers are often viewed as the "safe" pick and talking heads usually want to look bold.

Ultimately power rankings don't mean anything, especially before anyone has played a down.

But this year, they probably have a point. The Rats are defending champs and the Stains are off season champs. I still think we'll probably win the division, especially if we can have a reasonable record after a brutal first few games.

"BuzzNuter"
07-23-2019, 04:47 PM
You know if I remember correctly, the last time we won the Superbowl , we were picked 3rd in the AFC north behind the Bengals and Ravens. When we are underestimated we perform.
The Steelers brought the NFL into the modern era in the 70's. In 79 we played multiple times on Monday night football. I remember the nickel hot dogs for supper when I was in grad school. The 50 somethings either love or hate the Steelers. If it wasn't for the Steelers the Cowboys would really be America's team.

hawaiiansteel
07-23-2019, 07:33 PM
You know if I remember correctly, the last time we won the Superbowl , we were picked 3rd in the AFC north behind the Bengals and Ravens.

I believe that was in 2010/11, the year we ended up losing in the Super Bowl.

Oviedo
07-24-2019, 09:21 AM
Unfortunately, many who want to see the Steelers fail are members of the Planet:(

RuthlessBurgher
07-24-2019, 10:12 AM
Unfortunately, many who want to see Tomlin fail are members of the Planet:(

Fixed that for you.

AzStillers1989
07-24-2019, 10:17 AM
Does anyone REALLY care anymore bout what these talking heads on ESPN or nfl network or any other major sports media outlet are saying?

All that matters is, for years and years now, that the Steelers have a chance to win it all. That’s all you can want as a fan.... we know the Steelers got a chance.

Unlike their neighbors next to the Clemente Bridge who every year have next to no chance...

So, just like every year, I got a good feeling about this team... I’m hoping we all will have a feeling in January...

I think y’all know the tune I’m thinking of... :tt2:tt1:Steel:Beer

https://youtu.be/gxfYB-Kvq5o

Steel Maniac
07-24-2019, 01:30 PM
It now seems fashionable to want to see the Steelers fail

The Steelers may be a traditional powerhouse, but they’re one that hasn’t won a title in a long time. They’re perceived to be on the downturn, and that is why it’s so easy for national pundits to attack them at every opportunity.

By Anthony Defeo@Defeoman Jul 22, 2019

In case you haven’t noticed, the Steelers aren’t receiving a whole lot of love from the national pundits this offseason.

That’s right, not many are predicting Pittsburgh will be much more than mediocre in 2019, with the average win-total sitting at around 9.5 or so.

As for those national pundits, it seems they never let an opportunity pass by without reminding the public just how bad the Steelers possibly could be this season.

Former Steelers corner Brandon Boykin was the latest to sit in front of a camera and let the audience know why he thought Pittsburgh could really, really suck next year. One reason he listed while appearing on the NFL Network (and I can’t believe I never thought of this during my many weeks co-hosting The Steelers Hangover with Bryan Anthony Davis this offseason— but then again, I’m not a former player, so what do I know?) was that Pittsburgh’s offense could really feel the loss of receiver Antonio Brown.

Boykin also said the Steelers could be in trouble in 2019 if Ben Roethlisberger goes down and one of the backups has to play. (In other news, did you know if you broke both of your hands, you’d be in deep trouble if you tried to drive your car with your feet?)

In fairness to Boykin, he’s just like so many others out there, a person who is simply going out of his way to look for reasons why the Steelers will soon fall on hard times.

It’s fashionable to want to see the Steelers fail these days, just like it’s fashionable to want to see the Cleveland Browns succeed.

It’s the world we live in. People love the underdog, and they hate the king.

Let’s face it, in a national sense, the Steelers are the Yankees. They are Notre Dame. They are the Lakers. They are (and I realize this will hurt a lot) the Cowboys.

You might ask, “Well, don’t all of those teams you’ve mentioned get a lot of love nationally?” Of course they do. The Steelers also generally receive a lot of national love. We’re just too busy noticing the hate—especially this year since, to reiterate, it’s really in-style.

In fact, it used to be fashionable to predict that Pittsburgh would win the Super Bowl just about every offseason (how many times in recent years did the great writer, Peter King go out of his way to predict such things)? We may not remember all of the King’s past love now that he’s predicting the Steelers will be fairly mediocre in 2019.

Back to the Yankees, Cowboys, etc. When you’re a team with a championship tradition, people just want to see you fail more. This is especially the case when you haven’t won in a very long time—something that is the reality for all of those aforementioned teams who continue to generate ratings and have, well, annoying fan bases (at least that’s the perception) who travel everywhere to see them.

The Patriots, your reigning Super Bowl champions, will soon experience this. Oh, sure, they have plenty of hate now (“I Cheer For the Steelers And Any Team Playing the Patriots,” reads the t-shirt you bought down at the Strip District), but they’re currently too darn successful to care about such things. And they certainly aren’t all that worried about any hate they may receive from the national pundits.

But there will come a day when New England is just another team with a championship tradition that hasn’t actually won in a while. The quarterback will be gone. The coach will be retired. The fans will go from cocky and arrogant to just plain annoying: “Why are there so many of them in this section? Don’t they know their team hasn’t won in years?”

The Steelers are that team right now. Maybe that will change if they win a seventh title this season, but if they don’t, you can expect more of the same hate and piling on in the 2020 offseason.

The Pittsburgh Steelers may be a giant, but they’re not one that people are afraid of right now. And that’s why it’s much easier to attack them from all sides.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/7/22/20701774/it-now-seems-fashionable-to-want-to-see-the-steelers-fail-espn-nfl-network-news-fans-twitter

It’s the same way they have been talking about the Lakers. Historically good franchises in sports have haters because these other teams & fan bases are jealous. It’s all good; the Sweetest revenge is success.

SteelerOfDeVille
07-24-2019, 01:31 PM
Fixed that for you.
good fix. that one's true.
can't imagine many here want to see the steelers fail.
however, there are some here do want to Tomlin fail.
which is weird; as long as he's the coach of the steelers, and is a "good dude", i'm rooting for him.

Steel Maniac
07-24-2019, 01:40 PM
Unfortunately, many who want to see the Steelers fail are members of the Planet:(

I don’t believe that; I don’t know one poster who is rooting for us to fail. I think people give their opinion on what they think will happen but i think that if every poster could snap his fingers and make us win 5 Super Bowls in a row, he would.

RuthlessBurgher
07-24-2019, 02:54 PM
I don’t believe that; I don’t know one poster who is rooting for us to fail. I think people give their opinion on what they think will happen but i think that if every poster could snap his fingers and make us win 5 Super Bowls in a row, he would.

That's not what the infinity gauntlet is for, though. Some Steeler fan will snap his fingers expecting 5 Super Bowls in a row, and he ends up wiping out half the human population. D'oh...