PDA

View Full Version : Browns Drama

NorthCoast
06-04-2019, 09:32 PM
Seems the media darling Browns are not immune to drama:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/baker-mayfield-doesnt-sound-happy-about-duke-johnsons-trade-request-youre-either-on-this-train-or-youre-not/

From a talent standpoint, the Cleveland Browns don't just have the look of a playoff team. They also appear to be worthy of Super Bowl consideration. The biggest question that remains is, can the Browns deal with expectations for the first time in what feels like forever without combusting internally?

We won't know the answer to that question until the season starts in September, but there already could be some turmoil brewing in Cleveland. It turns out, second-year quarterback Baker Mayfield doesn't sound happy about the trade request that running back Duke Johnson initially made earlier this offseason and maintained at mandatory minicamp on Tuesday.

"You're either on this train or you're not," Mayfield said, per Cleveland.com's Mary Kay Cabot.

When he was asked if the situation has led to any form of awkwardness, Mayfield shook his head and said, "It's self-inflicted. It is what it is. It's not awkward for anyone else in this building."

He was then asked if he supported Johnson as a teammate. Mayfield responded, "He's gotta do his job. He said he's a professional. I hope he does his job."
To this point in his career, Johnson has done exactly that. While Johnson skipped voluntary OTAs (like Odell Beckham), he did show up for mandatory minicamp on Tuesday. He's also been a productive player throughout his career. While he's never operated as the team's feature back, he has averaged 864 yards from scrimmage per season since he entered the league in 2015.
Duke Johnson ranks:

#2 in yards/play (5.8)
#3 in explosiveness
#7 in success rate (52%)

of 62 RBs on early down rushes+targets past 3 yrs.

Playing the NFL's most-injury prone position last 4 yrs, he:
-NEVER missed a game
-Listed as questionable only 2x

In addition to drafting RB1 Nick Chubb last year, the Browns also signed Kareem Hunt in February after the Chiefs cut him in the aftermath of the release of a disturbing video that depicted Hunt shoving and kicking a woman. Hunt has been suspended for eight games, but figures to take on a prominent role in the Browns' backfield once he's eligible to return, which would limit Johnson's touches from that point on.
The Browns, though, have maintained all along they have no interest in trading Johnson. They did so again on Tuesday.
"He wants to be traded. I want to win the lottery. It doesn't matter," said Browns coach Freddie Kitchens, per NFL Network's Aditi Kinkhabwala. "He's under contract. He's a Cleveland Brown. He's going to be used to the best of his ability in what benefits the team."
Given Hunt's suspension, their stance makes sense. If anything, they could look to move Johnson before the trade deadline when Hunt is nearing a return. They could also just decide to keep him all season long as a luxury player and depth behind Chubb and Hunt.
But it's also understandable why Johnson wants out. He already saw his touches decrease last season. In 2017, Johnson turned 156 touches into 1,041 yards and seven touchdowns -- the best output of his career. But this past season, he garnered only 87 touches, which he turned into 630 yards and three touchdowns. He actually averaged more yards per touch in 2018 than he did in 2017 (7.2 compared to 6.7), but he just didn't get enough opportunities. He's probably craving a situation that would result in an substantial uptick in his usage.
As for Mayfield's reaction, it's understandable from the sense that he doesn't want to be worrying about any unnecessary distractions as the team tries to break their playoff drought. But it was still a little surprising to see him bypass the chance to support his teammate the way Browns receiver Jarvis Landry did when he was asked to comment on the Johnson situation.
"I hope he understands and feels that guys are here for him," Landry said. "Whether he is here or not, that the relationship goes beyond the player, obviously the person as well. I definitely hope he understands that and knows that there are guys that are here for him."

Buzz
06-05-2019, 12:11 AM
I like Duke. Not a place for him on our squad, it would appear, but if we had a need, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

hawaiiansteel
06-05-2019, 12:30 AM
I like Duke. Not a place for him on our squad, it would appear, but if we had a need, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Given Kareem Hunt's eight-game suspension to start the season, it makes sense for the Brownies to hold on to Johnson as depth behind Nick Chubb.

Oviedo
06-05-2019, 07:33 AM
FAKE NEWS!!! We all know that only the Steelers have a culture issue. Only the Steelers have a terrible head coach. Only the Steelers have a climate where players don't act like programmed robots.

flippy
06-05-2019, 07:39 AM
Maybe it's time for Duke to ask AB to borrow some of his left over clown makeup.

After the way AB forced a trade to get paid, I think the flood gates could open for guys to act insane to get traded.

Oh wow
06-05-2019, 07:57 AM

You would take a guy who tried to force his way off a team due to competition?

He sounds like a cancer.

Yes, that’s sarcasm.

Eich
06-05-2019, 08:48 AM
Maybe it's time for Duke to ask AB to borrow some of his left over clown makeup.

After the way AB forced a trade to get paid, I think the flood gates could open for guys to act insane to get traded.

While I agree, that tactic only works for an elite player. I don't think many others will be able to write the same script.

Eich
06-05-2019, 08:51 AM
FAKE NEWS!!! We all know that only the Steelers have a culture issue. Only the Steelers have a terrible head coach. Only the Steelers have a climate where players don't act like programmed robots.

Said no one, ever (until now)! Clearly the clowns have been a laughing stock of the league for a very long time.

Disco1981
06-05-2019, 09:20 AM
Was always a Johnson fan, But I wouldn't want him now...Not because he's wanting a trade, It's because we drafted Snell...

IF...He came here, With Conner, Samuels, and Snell...If he wants to act selfish...Our situation would be even worse for him...imo

Oh wow
06-05-2019, 09:56 AM
Was always a Johnson fan, But I wouldn't want him now...Not because he's wanting a trade, It's because we drafted Snell...

IF...He came here, With Conner, Samuels, and Snell...If he wants to act selfish...Our situation would be even worse for him...imo

Yeah. He wants to be the guy. I’m sure he would love to play against the Browns a few times a year but more than that I think he wants to be a #1 RB.

No way he would come here.

RuthlessBurgher
06-05-2019, 10:34 AM
Cleveland head coach Freddie Kitchens, talking about Gerald McCoy choosing to sign with the Panthers instead of the Browns:

"We want people that want to be here. We want people that want to be here for the right reasons. Gerald made the best decision that he felt was best for him and his family. I wish Gerald nothing but the best. If there is any reservation at all, we do not want anybody to be here. We do not want any reservation about trying to convince someone to come here. What we are about to do, it is not for everybody. What we are going to attempt to do is not for everybody. It is going to take a lot of hard work and then we will see where we are at. That is all."

Cleveland head coach Freddie Kitchens, talking about Duke Johnson's trade request:

“He wants to be traded, you know. I want to win the lottery, all right? So it doesn’t matter. He’s a Cleveland Brown. He’s under contract. He’s going to be used to the best of his ability and what benefits the team. And that’s what we’re going with.”

Oviedo
06-05-2019, 11:02 AM
Cleveland head coach Freddie Kitchens, talking about Gerald McCoy choosing to sign with the Panthers instead of the Browns:

"We want people that want to be here. We want people that want to be here for the right reasons. Gerald made the best decision that he felt was best for him and his family. I wish Gerald nothing but the best. If there is any reservation at all, we do not want anybody to be here. We do not want any reservation about trying to convince someone to come here. What we are about to do, it is not for everybody. What we are going to attempt to do is not for everybody. It is going to take a lot of hard work and then we will see where we are at. That is all."

Cleveland head coach Freddie Kitchens, talking about Duke Johnson's trade request:

“He wants to be traded, you know. I want to win the lottery, all right? So it doesn’t matter. He’s a Cleveland Brown. He’s under contract. He’s going to be used to the best of his ability and what benefits the team. And that’s what we’re going with.”

I love the following in your sig:

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.
We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus

RuthlessBurgher
06-05-2019, 11:08 AM
I love the following in your sig:

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.
We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus

Yeah, buddy. Let them worry about Pro Bowls. We are focused on Super Bowls.

Eddie Spaghetti
06-05-2019, 11:15 AM
kitchens seems to have a big mouth for a guy who was a running backs coach this time last year

Steel Maniac
06-05-2019, 11:15 AM
Given Kareem Hunt's eight-game suspension to start the season, it makes sense for the Brownies to hold on to Johnson as depth behind Nick Chubb.

Totally; I think he’ll be happier as he’s used often at the beginning of the season

Steel Maniac
06-05-2019, 11:18 AM
kitchens seems to have a big mouth for a guy who was a running backs coach this time last year

Well , it’s almost time to see what he has as a head coach. Honeymoon period is about to be over.

Oh wow
06-05-2019, 11:35 AM
I think the Browns messed up when they gave Kitchens the job. Not sure why they didn’t keep him at OC and keep the other guy at HC since they had positive results.

But it’s the Browns. Hopefully they screwed up a good thing.

RuthlessBurgher
06-05-2019, 11:38 AM
Duke Johnson is a class guy. After Shazier's injury, whenever Duke scored, his TD celebration would be a prayer and flashing the numbers "5" and "0" as a tribute to a guy he had no prior connection to, other than being a competitor on a rival team.

I don't think Duke is afraid of competition. He didn't make waves last offseason when they signed local OSU alum Carlos Hyde and then used an early draft pick on Nick Chubb.

His trade request happened immediately after the Browns signed Kareem Hunt. Folks assumed the trade request was made because his playing time would be severely reduced if he had to compete for snaps with both Chubb and Hunt in the same backfield.

Maybe he's making the trade request because he doesn't want to be affiliated with a team who has no issue signing a guy who was caught on video shoving a woman to the ground and kicking her while she was on the floor.

Could be...who knows...

flippy
06-05-2019, 02:29 PM

Those that are the best at talking out of both ends of their mouth are the guys destined to be at the top of most organizations.

hawaiiansteel
06-05-2019, 02:35 PM
Maybe he's making the trade request because he doesn't want to be affiliated with a team who has no issue signing a guy who was caught on video shoving a woman to the ground and kicking her while she was on the floor.

Could be...who knows...

especially when that guy will be taking playing time from you...

Steel Maniac
06-06-2019, 02:00 PM
Trenches May Give Pittsburgh Edge Over Cleveland In AFC North Race
ByAlex Kozora Posted on June 6, 2019 at 8:30 am

Everyone is jumping on the Cleveland Browns bandwagon. And hey, for good reason. I’m not here to crack jokes about how bad they’ve been, their lovable loser attitude and the Factory of Sadness they built for so long. They’re one of the league’s most improved teams with more reason for optimism since…I can’t even remember when. Maybe the prime Derek Anderson days but even then, it felt like a wolf in sheep’s clothing, success that couldn’t – and didn’t – last.

But it’s not a perfect roster. Hard to blame John Dorsey for that. He had to come in and build from the ground up. Find a QB. Trade for receivers. Revamp the secondary, collect running backs by the dozen. The one area of the team still lacking is a biggie. The Browns’ offensive line is arguably the weakest position group they have. And most teams are successful building inside out.

Here’s how their offensive line is likely to look:

LT – Greg Robinson
LG – Joel Bitonio
C – JC Tretter
RG – Austin Corbett
RT – Chris Hubbard

Don’t get me wrong. That’s not terrible. Cleveland has surely fielded worse. Robinson was a pleasant surprise as he attempts to revitalize his career, Bitonio is good without the need to grade on a curve, and Steelers’ fans know the value Hubbard brought to the black and gold.

But at best, it’s an average group with serious concerns. Is Robinson the real deal? Tretter has always looked overmatched at center and Corbett has had trouble cracking the starting lineup, playing 14 snaps as a rookie and spending part of OTAs running with the 2’s. Hubbard is very much at his ceiling, too.

If there’s a downfall of this Browns’ team, it’s the North. Now compare that to Pittsburgh.

The line is their strength. At least four of the five starters return from last year and should Matt Feiler win the RT job, it’ll effectively be all five. There’s excellent depth, something Cleveland arguably doesn’t have, thanks to a constant reinvestment in the offensive line, even when it wasn’t a dire need. If any of the Steelers’ starting five goes down, it won’t be met with jubilation, but you feel the team can survive. Same happens to the Browns? Might want to buckle up.

Look what happened to Cincinnati. How did they tumble from North champs to chilling in the basement? Partly because Andy Dalton has convinced Mike Brown he’s still the answer, sure, but it correlated with their offensive line woes. They whiffed on draft picks (hello Jake Fisher and Cedric Ogbuehi) then foolishly let Kevin Zeitler and Andrew Whitworth leave in free agency. Whitworth went on to sign with the Rams and go to his first Super Bowl.

Cleveland and Pittsburgh are going to be able to move the ball. Both teams are going to get after the quarterback. And I can’t wait to watch these two teams go out, a real rivalry for the first time in a long time. But good teams have to protect their quarterback. For Cleveland, that’s a concern. And it might cost them the division.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/trenches-may-give-pittsburgh-edge-over-cleveland-in-afc-north-race/

hawaiiansteel
07-16-2019, 10:36 PM
Steelers Not Worried About Facing Browns, Odell Beckham

By Opeyemi Daramola On Jul 17, 2019

The Cleveland Browns added an elite wide receiver talent this offseason when general manager John Dorsey decided to pull the trigger on a deal to land Odell Beckham Jr. from the New York Giants, shifting the power in the AFC North.

However, Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin doesn’t sound too worried about having to face OBJ and the high-powered Browns offense twice a season going forward.

“We see great players week in and week out. We have seen him before,” Tomlin told ESPN. “We have respect for his talent and the talents of everyone they have acquired. But it doesn’t change our agenda or focus.”

Beckham has faced the Steelers once in his career, collecting 10 catches on 16 targets for 100 yards in a 24-14 loss in 2016.

Beckham will likely be matched up with a former Brown in Joe Haden when the AFC North rivals go head to head. Haden spoke on the matchup earlier this offseason while attending a celebrity softball game in Cleveland.

https://360ng.com.ng/steelers-not-worried-about-facing-browns-odell-beckham/

RuthlessBurgher
07-16-2019, 11:03 PM
Beckham has faced the Steelers once in his career, collecting 10 catches on 16 targets for 100 yards in a 24-14 loss in 2016.

The only words in that sentence that matter to me whatsoever are "in a loss."

Any other numbers are totally irrelevant to me.

He can have 20 catches for 200 yards in a loss against us and I'm happy.

Much better than if we held him to 2 catches for 9 yards in a victory over us.

NorthCoast
07-17-2019, 08:05 AM
I would argue AJ Green is a better WR than OBJ.... And the Steelers had no problem shutting him down twice a season for the most part.

Steel Maniac
07-17-2019, 08:57 AM
I would argue AJ Green is a better WR than OBJ.... And the Steelers had no problem shutting him down twice a season for the most part.

Don’t sell those Browns short; Mayfield is a better qb ( I think ) then Dalton and Mayfield has a ton of weapons so you can’t just focus on OBJ. Meaning you may not be able to just clamp on obj the way you want.

Oh wow
07-17-2019, 11:18 AM

Andy Dalton is supremely average and isn’t willing to take chances. He’s the type of guy to throw it 8 yards on 4th in 15 on the final possession of a must win game. Dude just lacks that killer instinct.

Mayfield is going to take chances which could pay off but he also has no problem throwing to the other team.

I’m looking forward to seeing how good this Brown team actually is once the games start. On paper they are impressive but I still think they made a mistake hiring the OC as the HC after Gregg Williams put together an impressive run last year as the interim. Anyone else would’ve kept him as the HC but the Browns are the Browns for a reason.

NorthCoast
07-17-2019, 12:04 PM
If you listen to the hype, the Steelers may as well start planning for the offseason and next draft because they don't have a chance against this vaunted Browns offense.

NorthCoast
07-17-2019, 12:33 PM
I am not sold yet on BM. Keep in mind there late season record was largely due to playing the bottom half of the league.
I understand they are trying to rev up the fan base for the FoS, but that will only make the pain worse when reality hits.

RuthlessBurgher
07-17-2019, 02:17 PM
I am not sold yet on BM.

How great is it that the Cleveland Brownstains have a QB with the initials B.M.? Classic...

Steel Maniac
07-17-2019, 05:47 PM
If you listen to the hype, the Steelers may as well start planning for the offseason and next draft because they don't have a chance against this vaunted Browns offense.

I agree; a first time head coach; a volatile lead WR; a firebrand QB. A lot of ingredients but no guarantee by any stretch that they'll pan out.

hawaiiansteel
07-17-2019, 11:00 PM
Baker Mayfield wanted “revenge” against Hue Jackson

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 17, 2019

Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield was critical of his former coach, Hue Jackson, for going to the division rival Bengals after getting fired by the Browns. With some time to reflect on that this offseason, Mayfield says he hasn’t changed his opinion.

Mayfield told ESPN that beating the Bengals was a highlight of his rookie season, in part because Jackson was on the opposing sideline.

“I’m not gonna lie to you and say that the first time I played Hue did not feel good. It’s human nature to want to get revenge,” Mayfield said.

In fairness to Jackson, it wasn’t his choice to leave the Browns, and once they fired him, it wasn’t unreasonable for him to look for work elsewhere. But Mayfield called Jackson “fake” at the time and still thinks that.

“I said what I meant,” Mayfield said. “Don’t stand up in front of us the week before and try to tell us you’re doing everything for us, then go take a job with a team we play twice a year. It was one of those honesty and respect things.”

Mayfield is honest about the fact that he doesn’t respect his former coach’s decision to coach against the Browns last year.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/17/baker-mayfield-wanted-revenge-against-hue-jackson/

Oh wow
07-18-2019, 09:35 AM
Baker sounds like an idiot. It’s business. Once you get fired you try to get hired anywhere you can to stay in the NFL.

RuthlessBurgher
07-18-2019, 10:18 AM
If he quit your team and signed with a rival (like Belichick and the Jets back in the day), then maybe you'd have a beef.

But he was fired. Once a team fires you, all professions of loyalty go out the window.

If the Browns eventually cut Baker at some point in the future, is he not supposed to sign with a rival organization out of loyalty to the organization that just gave him his walking papers? That's dumb.

rpmpit
07-18-2019, 11:58 AM
I generally don't pay attention to any other teams, their games, records or whatever drama is happening. Unless of course they affect the Steelers in the division, conference, playoff seeding, etc.

But... this season I will thoroughly enjoy watching the implosions that will be occurring in Oakland, Cleveland and New York (Jets obviously) :evil:

Buzz
07-18-2019, 12:27 PM
If he quit your team and signed with a rival (like Belichick and the Jets back in the day), then maybe you'd have a beef.

But he was fired. Once a team fires you, all professions of loyalty go out the window.

If the Browns eventually cut Baker at some point in the future, is he not supposed to sign with a rival organization out of loyalty to the organization that just gave him his walking papers? That's dumb.

Baker's got some growing up to do. That said, he's a dangerous opponent.

NorthCoast
07-18-2019, 12:54 PM
Baker's got some growing up to do. That said, he's a dangerous opponent.

BM is a brash young kid. A trait that could be great for an NFL QB, but can also go quickly south if things don't go as planned.

AFC North has some interesting storylines this season... I predict sparks will fly on message boards...including this one.

RuthlessBurgher
07-18-2019, 01:00 PM
It's odd that only divisional opponent that Cleveland plays through 10 weeks of the 2019 NFL season is Baltimore in week 4.

Their other 5 AFC North games are in mid-November or later.

hawaiiansteel
07-18-2019, 06:04 PM
Former Cleveland GM on Joe Haden Exension 'I would play it out'

GREG FINLEY
JULY 18, 2019

Radio.com NFL Insider and former Browns GM Michael Lombardi talked about the possibility of the Steelers extending Joe Haden.

“I think one thing the Steelers and Patriots have proven are they’re not afraid to let guys play it out and see where it goes. I’m gonna play it out,” said Lombardi.

The Steelers have their culture back and have their team back according to Lombardi.

“I don’t think there’s a better motivator in life than to prove people wrong. If the Browns become the favorite team I think the Steelers say you know what guys? We have won 57 games in the last 5 years we are only second to the Patriots with 74. I think they are going to be really good.”

Lombardi believes the Browns will break down in the final 5 minutes of games during the NFL season because “you gotta go from good to great. You just don’t go from bad to great in one year.”

Better Chance Le’Veon Bell helps the Jets or Antonio Brown helps the Raiders?

Lombardi discussed how Bell will have to play behind a bad offensive line which will not be good for his run game and so he gives the edge to Antonio Brown.

Lombardi had one answer to who will have the better season, Roethlisberger or Mayfield?

“Ben Roethlisberger.”

Listen to the whole interview down below:

https://937thefan.radio.com/articles/former-cleveland-gm-joe-haden-extension-i-would-play-it-out

Captain Lemming
07-18-2019, 06:38 PM
"Browns Drama"? Really people?

HE AINT ON THE TEAM, dont care about his "drama".
If I hear one more comment about Anto.....wait.........you guys are talking the Turd Brown TEAM....not the "turd" named Brown?

NEVERMIND. :oops::oops::oops::oops: