PDA

View Full Version : Joey Porter: Ben Roethlisberger Abuses His Power; Apology Came Far Too Late

hawaiiansteel
05-25-2019, 12:39 AM
Joey Porter: Ben Roethlisberger Abuses His Power; Apology Came Far Too Late

By Matthew Marczi
Posted on May 24, 2019

Back in January, after it was announced that Pittsburgh Steelers Head Coach Mike Tomlin decided not to renew outside linebacker coach Joey Porter’s contract, Mike Prisuta reported that some players felt as though Porter was encouraging a sort of schism, a competition between the offensive and defensive players.

Porter is free to say anything he wants now, and he was on NFL Total Access earlier tonight with seemingly plenty to say about his former teammate, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, and how he has handled himself in relation to other players over the course of his career. In his remarks, in fact, he even seemed to be defending former wide receiver Antonio Brown, at least to an extent.

“You know, it’s kind of like, once you have a bad situation, they’re not going to be pick up the phone”, he said, apparently referring to the fact that the team could not get a hold of Brown for months from the end of the season on. The same was also true of Le’Veon Bell for the past two offseasons.

“If you feel slighted by any way—any teammate, friend, teammate—once you feel like you’d been betrayed in any type of way, I’m not picking up your phone call. You can’t call me and say, ‘oh, I’m sorry’ the next day”, he went on. “I need you to be sorry when you did it. You can’t be sorry that late. So those relationships went the other way”.

“Now that he’s being a man and apologizing now, it’s just a couple days too late. I mean, it probably all could have been avoided if he was coming to them and saying, ‘you know what, I didn’t handle that the right way’. But that’s the way he chose to go about it and apologize, and it’s just a little too late”.

To be honest, if these were Porter’s private thoughts, then I can understand if he was removed from his coaching position in the name of some sort of culture shift. He went on to insinuate that Roethlisberger both abuses and flaunts the power that he holds with the organization.

“It’s clear that he has the power, and how he uses it, he uses it for him. You love to see the guy that, like when [Jerome Bettis] was our captain and when I was moving into that role, you want the locker room to love you the whole time”, he said. He added that the only relationship he had with the front office was when he got in trouble.

“Ben, on the other hand, he’s accepted in that world”, he offered. “And when they see him not using it for them, but only for himself, you’re going to have some animosity there, and I think once it got so bad, it was good for AB to go his way, L Bell to go his way. Ben isn’t going anywhere. He’s going to be the future. He’s going to be there for as long as he wants to be there”.

Now, it would be impossible at this point for the organization to deny there isn’t some kind of difference between Roethlisberger and the rest of the roster after the comments they’ve made this offseason. But anybody without blinders on knows that’s true of legitimate franchise quarterbacks.

“Even if it isn’t fair, fake me out to make me think that it’s good and then I’ll give you everything”, Porter suggested. “But when you show me you have it way better than me, yeah, you’re going to create resentment”.

How many players in the locker room feel the way Porter does, I wonder? Might he even have had an influence in shaping how players felt about Roethlisberger? Was he telling his players that Roethlisberger thinks he’s better and more important than them?

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/joey-porter-ben-roethlisberger-abuses-his-power-apology-came-far-too-late/

Buzz
05-25-2019, 09:36 AM
Man, I'm sick of this pot continuing to be stirred. Porter couldn't stand seeing the drama die down? Had to make himself relevant?

No wonder the team dumped him. The rumblings about him being divisive in the locker room were no doubt true.

Mr.wizard
05-25-2019, 09:53 AM
If Porter going to put a story out like this then he needs to provide examples of the alleged "abuse of power". If is his main gripe is that Ben is treated differently then I don't want to hear it, of course the franchise QB is treated differently.

AzStillers1989
05-25-2019, 10:54 AM
Shut the fvck up peezy.

Djfan
05-25-2019, 11:03 AM
I have lost all respect for this tool.

Oh wow
05-25-2019, 11:35 AM
Didn’t Peezy call Ben out for being a bad leader when they played together?

Steel Maniac
05-25-2019, 12:12 PM
Porter needs to say anything he can to make himself relevant for a continuous call up on media network shows. Ben should say nothing and just ball out.

RobinCole
05-25-2019, 12:39 PM
As usual, consider the source. And no, I don’t recall Porter calling out Ben when they played together. You may be confusing him with Harrison.

Buzz
05-25-2019, 01:37 PM
Didn’t Peezy call Ben out for being a bad leader when they played together?

I guess Peezy should know what it is to be a bad leader ... wasn't he arrested for DUI while coaching the LBs? Didn't he get axed for pitting Steelers' defensive players against their offensive players?

I might listen if a genuine leader criticizes Ben's leadership skills. Porter ain't that guy.

Buzz
05-25-2019, 01:43 PM
He stunk as a coach, too.

skyhawk
05-25-2019, 01:50 PM
Wow. Another player with questionable behavior and integrity dissin on Ben. Yawn. Where's the hate from class men like Heath Miller, Pouncey, Foster, Hampton, Keisel, etc? That's what I thought.

Even John Wooden treated his players differently. All based on their behavior and work ethic. Joey can stfu. Ben is out of your league. Sour grapes to the last from a fizzled player.

hawaiiansteel
05-25-2019, 03:20 PM
Joey Porter: Ben Roethlisberger has power and uses it for himself

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 25, 2019

Add Joey Porter to the list of former Steelers who don’t think highly of Ben Roethlisberger.

Porter was a teammate of Roethlisberger’s for three years, played against him (pictured), and then returned to Pittsburgh and was an assistant coach for the last five years. Discussing the feud between Roethlisberger and Antonio Brown on NFL Network, Porter said Roethlisberger put himself above the rest of the team.

Fellow NFL Network commentator Terrell Davis cited as an example that his former teammate, John Elway, would lobby the coaches to give the players more non-contact days during training camp. Davis said Elway did that not for himself — as a quarterback, he wasn’t getting hit in camp anyway — but because he could see that his teammates were getting beaten up and needed a break. Davis said Elway had power within the organization and would use it to help his teammates. Porter responded that Roethlisberger doesn’t do that kind of thing.

“It’s clear he has the power, and how he uses it? He uses it for him,” Porter said of Roethlisberger.

Porter indicated that the Steelers would be better off if Roethlisberger were more popular with his teammates.

“You want your locker room to love you,” Porter said.

There’s been no shortage of former Steelers saying this offseason that they did not love Roethlisberger.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/25/joey-porter-ben-roethlisberger-has-power-and-uses-it-for-himself/

Oh wow
05-25-2019, 04:07 PM
I guess Peezy should know what it is to be a bad leader ... wasn't he arrested for DUI while coaching the LBs? Didn't he get axed for pitting Steelers' defensive players against their offensive players?

I might listen if a genuine leader criticizes Ben's leadership skills. Porter ain't that guy.

Linebackers are usually goons. They get away with a lot.

Northern_Blitz
05-25-2019, 06:13 PM
I don't think you can put much stock in quotes from ex-players or ex-coaches (whether I agree with them or not).

NJ-STEELER
05-26-2019, 06:36 AM
I Didn't he get axed for pitting Steelers' defensive players against their offensive players?

he also did that as a player. sooo, how this idiot coach of ours thought he would be a good assisatant I'll never know.
I guess he fit right in with the rah rah type of coaching he showed