PDA

View Full Version : Bell and AB

Disco1981
05-22-2019, 09:22 PM
Are gone...Whole new culture, got rid of the rif raf, hostages, team bonding, us against the world now...blah ****in blah...

2 days into OTA's and Dud, Edmunds AND Chickillo are basically having Chestios back, and dissing Ben...

New culture and environment my Ass! I just don't know if this team can win the Big One, With a harborer of undiscipled attitudes and not a clue about team chemistry

RuthlessBurgher
05-22-2019, 09:26 PM
2 days into OTA's and Dud, Edmunds AND Chickillo are basically having Chestios back, and dissing Ben...

What are you talking about? I haven't heard any of this...

AzStillers1989
05-22-2019, 09:28 PM

I want to know this as well.

Sources mostly lol.

SidSmythe
05-22-2019, 09:34 PM
Edmunds LIKED AB's "2 faced" Twitter post

According to Ramon Foster Edmunds "Likes everything" on Twitter and didn't know what it was about at the time. Edmunds called Foster on the phone worried about the whole ordeal.

Of course people see the LIKE from Edmunds and they go off on him b4 getting his side of the story.

Eddie Spaghetti
05-22-2019, 09:39 PM
the steelers are really fortunate to have kept Ramon foster in the fold

he is obviously one of the most respected men in that locker room and rightfully so

Oh wow
05-22-2019, 10:22 PM
It’s a damn shame when a like or a thumbs up is considered big news

Eddie Spaghetti
05-22-2019, 10:35 PM
hopefully it won't be going forward now that the team has rid itself of the guys you supported for so long

hawaiiansteel
05-22-2019, 10:38 PM
the steelers are really fortunate to have kept Ramon foster in the fold

he is obviously one of the most respected men in that locker room and rightfully so

I thought for sure the Steelers would let Foster go and plug Finney into his starting spot.

now I understand why we re-signed him...

Disco1981
05-22-2019, 11:35 PM

Mark Kaboly Pittsburgh writer wrote, quoting JuJu " I will take 5 catches and 30 yards and win, as opposed to getting 150 and 2 and losing " ( clearly a shot at someone ) lol...

Dud tweeted back " Shut up Fat Ass was Duds response "...With Edmunds and Chickillo also taking Duds side...

Idk...Still seems like they still have AB's back, over their own QB and WR

hawaiiansteel
05-22-2019, 11:43 PM
Mark Kaboly Pittsburgh writer wrote, quoting JuJu " I will take 5 catches and 30 yards and win, as opposed to getting 150 and 2 and losing " ( clearly a shot at someone ) lol...

Dud tweeted back " Shut up Fat Ass was Duds response "...With Edmunds and Chickillo also taking Duds side...

I think they were just taking shots at Fat Boy Kaboly for trying to stir things up and had nothing to do with taking sides...

Steelerphile
05-23-2019, 05:05 AM
Fans take the most insignificant occurrences and try to make them in world shaking events. Liked a 'tweet" and and the fans are ready to rumble. Typical fans though.

And truth be told, some media members ask poor questions, and try to create controversy, which fans expect the players to always endure and embrace very humbly and patiently. When fans try to amplify most small things into a crisis.

flippy
05-23-2019, 06:49 AM
Who’s Dud?

Oviedo
05-23-2019, 08:09 AM
Amazes me how some so called fans of this team want to create chaos and misrepresent whatever to try to make things look bad

STH70
05-23-2019, 09:25 AM

First of all, Bud Dupree’s “Shut up Fat Ass” comment was directed to Kaboly. Edmunds and Chickillo had Bud’s back as well as Ben and JuJu’s back. This is an example of teammates sticking together. The exact opposite of what you’re implying.

The Man of Steel
05-23-2019, 09:34 AM
Who’s Dud?
Ditto. Must be insider lingo of some kind.

RuthlessBurgher
05-23-2019, 10:35 AM
Ramon Foster and Cam Heyward reject suggestions that Steelers need to be reined in by Mike Tomlin

In a rousing endorsement of Mike Tomlin during OTAs on Monday, Ramon Foster made it clear that it was on the players to police themselves this season.

By Simon Chester
May 22, 2019, 2:30pm EDT

If you had listened to all the noise coming from outside the Pittsburgh Steelers organization this offseason, you would assume that the Steelers are on the verge of collapse having said goodbye to Antonio Brown and Le’Veon Bell this year. But for those players that remain, the perspective from inside the locker room is markedly different.

When not blaming Ben Roethlisberger or Kevin Colbert for the dysfunction that has seemingly plagued the Steelers as of late, Mike Tomlin is the one who has often come in for the most criticism. Accused of being too close to his players and lacking in discipline, the actions of Brown and Bell have landed at the feet of a coach labelled an enabler, while the behavior of the individuals concerned has largely been given a free pass.

But while outsiders may expect Tomlin to adjust his coaching style in 2019, that does not match with the expectations of veteran leaders like Ramon Foster and Cameron Heyward. When speaking to reporters during practice on the first day of OTAs, both players made it very clear that there was no need for Tomlin to change the way he manages his team.

“Coach T has been handling us the same way for years. He gives guys an environment where they can develop themselves, and in that development of themselves, you get certain things out of it, whether good or bad and we’ve always found a way to deal with it. So, I don’t think he going to rein guys in or switch it up. The guys who understand how to work do that because of the amount of respect with have for him and how he allows us to be men, first and foremost. So, I don’t think you’ll see somebody whipping the whip to just do this and do that.”

“I always refer to him as the Uncle you just don’t want to piss off. You know you can be who you want to be, but you step out of line, and you guys have seen him in his element, the element that you don’t see. He can be a real problem if you take him down that lane. It’s just certain stuff you know. You're allowed to be yourself.”

Asked about Tomlin’s reputation for being too much of a players coach and the reins being too lose, Foster scoffed at the suggestion from the reporter.

“I’ve heard it all and I’m sure if you ask all 1200 players in this league who would they rather play for, he’s at the top of the list. And that’s because they know how he deals with people, they know how you're able to develop yourself. He’s not going to carry you on a leash and say “hey, you gotta do this, you gotta do that”. People who are mature enough and professional enough know how to handle that type of thing.”

“How has the development of this team been? Has he been one of the most consistent coaches in the league? Has he won games? Has he ever been a guy that you were scared that this was going to happen? No. Coach T is a guy that you want to work for, a guy that you want to play for, you give you all for, because you know at the end of the day, the mutual respect that he has for you is not seen around this league like that.”

If there is to be less talk coming from the locker room this season, it appears that directive might not necessarily be coming from the head coach, with Foster clearly suggesting it was the responsibility of the players to police that sort of thing.

“Wouldn’t it?[come from the players] Would you agree that it should? He don’t have to say much. Like I said, he’s that guy that you don’t want to piss off. So, with that being said, it has to be self-policed.”

Sentiments Cam Heyward would echo when asked if he expected Tomlin to attempt to rein the team in this season.

“What needs to be reined in? We’re talking about the few. We’re not talking about the many. We’ve got a great group of guys that are hard-nosed and just trying to get better. Coach T’s going to coach it like he wants to. I don’t make that decision. But I also don’t expect that decision. It‘s definitely not going to be stagnant.”

With Brown and Bell no longer on the roster, it seems safe to assume that the Steelers will be far less dramatic in 2019, but should there be a repeat of last season from someone else, you can be sure the fingers will be pointing at Tomlin.

Cameron Heyward and Ramon Foster talk about Coach Tomlin, Devin Bush and rebounding from last season. pic.twitter.com/RDssjfwfrI
— Pittsburgh Steelers (@steelers) May 22, 2019

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/5/22/18635580/ramon-foster-cam-heyward-reject-suggestions-that-steelers-need-to-be-reined-in-by-mike-tomlin-news

Eich
05-23-2019, 10:38 AM
Well, if it's not "coach T" reigning anyone in, I wish some of the players would have stepped up at some point and told AB that his crap isn't going to be tolerated (and not publicly but face-to-face).

When Mr. big chest was not staying in Latrobe. That should not have been tolerated.

Disco1981
05-23-2019, 11:21 AM
First of all, Bud Dupree’s “Shut up Fat Ass” comment was directed to Kaboly. Edmunds and Chickillo had Bud’s back as well as Ben and JuJu’s back. This is an example of teammates sticking together. The exact opposite of what you’re implying.

Uhhhh...I'm pretty more that's what I said

Disco1981
05-23-2019, 11:22 AM
Ditto. Must be insider lingo of some kind.

I'm sure none of you have heard Bud be called Dud...Gotcha

STH70
05-23-2019, 12:01 PM

Um, yeah ok.

"Still seems like they still have AB's back, over their own QB and WR"

RuthlessBurgher
05-23-2019, 12:06 PM

The one that I see around here pretty regularly that continues to confuse me is posters using the name "Bince" to refer to Vince Williams. I'm sure it's intended to be an insult of some kind, but I have no idea how or why.

NorthCoast
05-23-2019, 12:22 PM
The one that I see around here pretty regularly that continues to confuse me is posters using the name "Bince" to refer to Vince Williams. I'm sure it's intended to be an insult of some kind, but I have no idea how or why.
I think it was a weak attempt to add him to the 'killer Bs'... Ben, Bell, Brown, Bince.

RuthlessBurgher
05-23-2019, 12:30 PM
I think it was a weak attempt to add him to the 'killer Bs'... Ben, Bell, Brown, Bince.

Why him, though, of all people?

Since the "Killer B's" were on offense, wouldn't it have made more sense to conjure up a Bance McDonald over a Bince Williams?

Or maybe Booboo Smith-Schuster or something like that (although Juju and the B's makes even more sense).

https://alchetron.com/cdn/jujube-confectionery-f121b4c1-2319-4bf4-b0b7-ebd20a9bd91-resize-750.jpeg

If you were going to randomly pick someone on defense to join the "Killer B's", wouldn't be a true team leader like "Bam" Heyward or something (that even sounds cool...kinda fits the who Ironhead thing he inherited from his Pops).

Oh wow
05-23-2019, 12:34 PM

Pretty more?

NorthCoast
05-23-2019, 12:40 PM
Why him, though, of all people?

Since the "Killer B's" were on offense, wouldn't it have made more sense to conjure up a Bance McDonald over a Bince Williams?

Or maybe Booboo Smith-Schuster or something like that (although Juju and the B's makes even more sense).

https://alchetron.com/cdn/jujube-confectionery-f121b4c1-2319-4bf4-b0b7-ebd20a9bd91-resize-750.jpeg

If you were going to randomly pick someone on defense to join the "Killer B's", wouldn't be a true team leader like "Bam" Heyward or something (that even sounds cool...kinda fits the who Ironhead thing he inherited from his Pops).

LOL... I'm liking 'Juju & the Bs'. .. but need another true B to make it legit.

Disco1981
05-23-2019, 12:51 PM
Pretty more?

Sure Mr.Perfect

The Man of Steel
05-23-2019, 02:18 PM
Bust Dupree, check.
Bum Dupree, check.
Dud? Not so much.

Oh wow
05-23-2019, 02:38 PM
Sure Mr.Perfect

That’s Bunny

flippy
05-23-2019, 03:44 PM
Bust Dupree, check.
Bum Dupree, check.
Dud? Not so much.

To tell the truth, Bud makes so few plays, I forget about him sometimes. It hit me a while later that Dud was Bud, but when I was going through the roster in my head, Bud never stands out.

Buzz
05-23-2019, 04:39 PM

Not an insult from my end. I'm pretty sure Vince was the first to call himslef "Bince" -- said he should be counted as one of the "killer Bs".

RuthlessBurgher
05-23-2019, 04:44 PM
Not an insult from my end. I'm pretty sure Vince was the first to call himslef "Bince" -- said he should be counted as one of the "killer Bs".

That the first I've heard about this...of course, it takes a dude named Buzz to teach me more about killer bee culture. ;)

Buzz
05-23-2019, 06:57 PM
https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2017/12/19/vince-williams-changes-name-to-join-the-killer-bs/

Northern_Blitz
05-24-2019, 04:57 AM

That's crazy.

I guess pro athletes all have insane confidence.

hawaiiansteel
05-24-2019, 05:59 PM
Steelers better off without Le'Veon, AB

By Bucky Brooks
NFL.com Analyst
Published: May 24, 2019

It's uncommon for a team to improve after losing a pair of All-Pro players, but the Pittsburgh Steelers could show the football world that chemistry can trump talent when building a championship roster. While I'm certainly not convinced that all squads with great camaraderie can make up for their talent deficiencies, I firmly believe that this Steelers team will be better thanks to an addition-by-subtraction approach that relieved the club of some distractions that played a role in its underachievement the past couple years.

I know that statement will surprise some observers who have seen me support Le'Veon Bell and Antonio Brown in the past. I still believe that Bell and Brown are transcendent stars with better skills than those of their successors (2018 Pro Bowl selectees James Conner and JuJu Smith-Schuster).

So, why will the Steelers be a better team without No. 26 and No. 84 in the locker room?

For starters, just look at the duo's recent absences from their new teams' voluntary workouts as proof of their suspect leadership skills and selfishness when it comes to their roles. Sure, those workouts are voluntary and there are plenty of star players missing OTAs (organized team activities) around the league (including the GOAT himself, Tom Brady), but the decision of the Jets' Bell and Raiders' Brown to go AWOL after cashing big checks this offseason speaks volumes about their lack of self-awareness. Most importantly, it shows the football world that satisfying their contract demands didn't result in better "buy-in" from each player.

With that in mind, I believe the Steelers were wise to cut their losses and move on behind a young nucleus of players with the collective talent to excel in leading roles. Conner and Smith-Schuster have shown they deliver enough production to keep the offense rolling, and it certainly doesn't hurt to have a two-time Super Bowl winner who continues to play at a high level at quarterback.

"No disrespect to those guys or what they've been able to do over the course of their careers, particularly in Pittsburgh, but we had a Pro Bowl wideout on our team who's still on our team from last year. We had a Pro Bowl running back last year who was on our team who's still on our team," said head coach Mike Tomlin at the NFL's Annual League Meeting in March, referring to Smith-Schuster and Conner. "So, we've got good players. We've got good, quality players specifically at those positions. Will we need additional plays from other people? Certainly, but you have that discussion and make those statements year in and year out, and we do."

Tomlin makes valid points when citing the standout performances of Smith-Schuster and Conner a season ago. Each of them played at an all-star level and they should give the team hope that the explosive offense that ranked among the best units in the league in recent years will continue to light up scoreboards in 2019. Additionally, the suggestion about other players stepping up also rings true when it comes to replacing the production that walked out of the door this spring. Players like second-year veterans James Washington and Jaylen Samuels will need to progress as complements for Smith-Schuster and Conner, while important roles could await rookies Diontae Johnson and Benny Snell.

That said, the removal of No. 26 and No. 84 from the locker room gives the Steelers a chance to get back to operating like a team instead of a group of individuals. The constant chatter surrounding the swirling soap operas involving Brown and Bell splintered the team and led to several honor-code violations in the locker room. Teammates overstepped their bounds when discussing contract issues and performance standards, leading to more controversies that were fueled by outsiders weighing in on the Steelers' veteran leadership and locker room standards.

"I think [the Bell and Brown sagas] have been highly chronicled and too chronicled," Tomlin said at the aforementioned March meeting. "I think some things have been said that may or may not be true. All I know is neither one of those guys are members of our team anymore, so I understand that. I understand what that means. We focus our energy on those who are and their readiness and preparation."

From a team-building standpoint, Tomlin and general manager Kevin Colbert have been able to hit the reset button on the roster and stockpile the locker room with guys that they believe will form a more cohesive group. The team wants players who embrace the toughness, selflessness, and competitiveness that's keyed the franchise to six Super Bowl wins.

"We needed to get back to being the Steelers," said a Steelers front office executive. "We need guys with the right DNA who love the game and embrace how we do things. That's how we've won in the past going back to Chuck Noll and his teams and it is the way that we've always won since that point. The last year or so was a wake-up call and a reminder that we need to get a collection of blue-collar guys who work well together. ... Playing for us isn't for everybody, so we need to make sure that guys that are in the locker room embrace what we're about."

To that point, I believe the Steelers' draft day moves last month reflect a commitment to that philosophy, with the primary example being the team's aggressive move up in the first round to grab Devin Bush, who'll be tasked with filling the void that was created when Ryan Shazier suffered a spinal injury in December 2017. The ex-Michigan standout is an alpha dog with the mentality and work ethic that fits perfectly in Pittsburgh. In addition, he is a five-star athlete with the speed, explosiveness and burst to wreak havoc as a sideline-to-sideline playmaker.

The culture change continued with the rest of their draft picks, particularly CB Justin Layne, OLB Sutton Smith and Snell. Each player arrives in Pittsburgh as a blue-collar worker with the requisite physicality and toughness to meet the standard previously established in the Steel City. With Smith-Schuster and Conner already fitting the model, the Steelers have a solid nucleus in place to move past the losses of Brown and Bell without taking a step back as a contender.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001031896/article/steelers-better-off-without-leveon-ab-suh-vs-mccoy-redux

Steel Maniac
05-24-2019, 06:30 PM
We will be better as a team ; everyone underestimates team chemistry.

Steelerphile
05-24-2019, 06:47 PM
Steelers better off without Le'Veon, AB

By Bucky Brooks
NFL.com Analyst
Published: May 24, 2019

It's uncommon for a team to improve after losing a pair of All-Pro players, but the Pittsburgh Steelers could show the football world that chemistry can trump talent when building a championship roster. While I'm certainly not convinced that all squads with great camaraderie can make up for their talent deficiencies, I firmly believe that this Steelers team will be better thanks to an addition-by-subtraction approach that relieved the club of some distractions that played a role in its underachievement the past couple years.

I know that statement will surprise some observers who have seen me support Le'Veon Bell and Antonio Brown in the past. I still believe that Bell and Brown are transcendent stars with better skills than those of their successors (2018 Pro Bowl selectees James Conner and JuJu Smith-Schuster).

So, why will the Steelers be a better team without No. 26 and No. 84 in the locker room?

For starters, just look at the duo's recent absences from their new teams' voluntary workouts as proof of their suspect leadership skills and selfishness when it comes to their roles. Sure, those workouts are voluntary and there are plenty of star players missing OTAs (organized team activities) around the league (including the GOAT himself, Tom Brady), but the decision of the Jets' Bell and Raiders' Brown to go AWOL after cashing big checks this offseason speaks volumes about their lack of self-awareness. Most importantly, it shows the football world that satisfying their contract demands didn't result in better "buy-in" from each player.

With that in mind, I believe the Steelers were wise to cut their losses and move on behind a young nucleus of players with the collective talent to excel in leading roles. Conner and Smith-Schuster have shown they deliver enough production to keep the offense rolling, and it certainly doesn't hurt to have a two-time Super Bowl winner who continues to play at a high level at quarterback.

"No disrespect to those guys or what they've been able to do over the course of their careers, particularly in Pittsburgh, but we had a Pro Bowl wideout on our team who's still on our team from last year. We had a Pro Bowl running back last year who was on our team who's still on our team," said head coach Mike Tomlin at the NFL's Annual League Meeting in March, referring to Smith-Schuster and Conner. "So, we've got good players. We've got good, quality players specifically at those positions. Will we need additional plays from other people? Certainly, but you have that discussion and make those statements year in and year out, and we do."

Tomlin makes valid points when citing the standout performances of Smith-Schuster and Conner a season ago. Each of them played at an all-star level and they should give the team hope that the explosive offense that ranked among the best units in the league in recent years will continue to light up scoreboards in 2019. Additionally, the suggestion about other players stepping up also rings true when it comes to replacing the production that walked out of the door this spring. Players like second-year veterans James Washington and Jaylen Samuels will need to progress as complements for Smith-Schuster and Conner, while important roles could await rookies Diontae Johnson and Benny Snell.

That said, the removal of No. 26 and No. 84 from the locker room gives the Steelers a chance to get back to operating like a team instead of a group of individuals. The constant chatter surrounding the swirling soap operas involving Brown and Bell splintered the team and led to several honor-code violations in the locker room. Teammates overstepped their bounds when discussing contract issues and performance standards, leading to more controversies that were fueled by outsiders weighing in on the Steelers' veteran leadership and locker room standards.

"I think [the Bell and Brown sagas] have been highly chronicled and too chronicled," Tomlin said at the aforementioned March meeting. "I think some things have been said that may or may not be true. All I know is neither one of those guys are members of our team anymore, so I understand that. I understand what that means. We focus our energy on those who are and their readiness and preparation."

From a team-building standpoint, Tomlin and general manager Kevin Colbert have been able to hit the reset button on the roster and stockpile the locker room with guys that they believe will form a more cohesive group. The team wants players who embrace the toughness, selflessness, and competitiveness that's keyed the franchise to six Super Bowl wins.

"We needed to get back to being the Steelers," said a Steelers front office executive. "We need guys with the right DNA who love the game and embrace how we do things. That's how we've won in the past going back to Chuck Noll and his teams and it is the way that we've always won since that point. The last year or so was a wake-up call and a reminder that we need to get a collection of blue-collar guys who work well together. ... Playing for us isn't for everybody, so we need to make sure that guys that are in the locker room embrace what we're about."

To that point, I believe the Steelers' draft day moves last month reflect a commitment to that philosophy, with the primary example being the team's aggressive move up in the first round to grab Devin Bush, who'll be tasked with filling the void that was created when Ryan Shazier suffered a spinal injury in December 2017. The ex-Michigan standout is an alpha dog with the mentality and work ethic that fits perfectly in Pittsburgh. In addition, he is a five-star athlete with the speed, explosiveness and burst to wreak havoc as a sideline-to-sideline playmaker.

The culture change continued with the rest of their draft picks, particularly CB Justin Layne, OLB Sutton Smith and Snell. Each player arrives in Pittsburgh as a blue-collar worker with the requisite physicality and toughness to meet the standard previously established in the Steel City. With Smith-Schuster and Conner already fitting the model, the Steelers have a solid nucleus in place to move past the losses of Brown and Bell without taking a step back as a contender.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001031896/article/steelers-better-off-without-leveon-ab-suh-vs-mccoy-redux

Thank you Bucky Brooks, well written piece. I think he is one of the better ex-jock analysts. Some of the ex-players are poor. But I am much in agreement with what he said.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-27-2019, 09:31 AM
It’s a damn shame when a like or a thumbs up is considered big news

I like this post. I give it a thumbs up!!

Buzz
05-27-2019, 09:55 AM
I like this post. I give it a thumbs up!!

I'm ashamed to say it, but I consider this to be kinda big news.

Steel Maniac
05-27-2019, 10:00 AM
If we have current players on the team agreeing with ACB about Ben, then it kinda is big news. And something to monitor.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-27-2019, 05:54 PM
I'm ashamed to say it, but I consider this to be kinda big news.

It must be. You read it on that major sports site TMZ.

Mr.wizard
05-27-2019, 07:23 PM
Here is the thing, we didn't lose because of Bell and Brown, all of this talk about locker room BS and off field stuff is meaningless if we don't tighten up on D and special teams.

Ernie
05-28-2019, 06:13 AM
Here is the thing, we didn't lose because of Bell and Brown, all of this talk about locker room BS and off field stuff is meaningless if we don't tighten up on D and special teams.

Lets scale that first statement back a bit and say that Bell and Brown had a negative impact on this year's team...

I read reports from players that stated that Bell's holdout very much had an impact on the team early in the year. I also tend to believe that the situation with AB leading up to the last Bengals game...contributed to the poor showing and near loss with the playoffs on the line.

I agree with you 100% though... that the defense needs tightened up from last year... and with the signings of Nelson and Barren, and the drafting of D. Bush... I believe we have taken steps to do just that.

Mr.wizard
05-28-2019, 06:51 AM
Lets scale that first statement back a bit and say that Bell and Brown had a negative impact on this year's team...

I read reports from players that stated that Bell's holdout very much had an impact on the team early in the year. I also tend to believe that the situation with AB leading up to the last Bengals game...contributed to the poor showing and near loss with the playoffs on the line.

I agree with you 100% though... that the defense needs tightened up from last year... and with the signings of Nelson and Barren, and the drafting of D. Bush... I believe we have taken steps to do just that.

They did have a negative impact on the team but I don't think it was in the Win/Loss column, If we had made a few kicks and played some good situational defense we win the division easily and walk into the playoffs. You could have a locker room full of best friends but you won't win if you can't execute on defense and special teams. There is not one game that we lost where I thought the is due to locker room drama.

Oh wow
05-28-2019, 09:43 AM
They did have a negative impact on the team but I don't think it was in the Win/Loss column, If we had made a few kicks and played some good situational defense we win the division easily and walk into the playoffs. You could have a locker room full of best friends but you won't win if you can't execute on defense and special teams. There is not one game that we lost where I thought the is due to locker room drama.

Yup. While I think the early off season stuff had a negative effect I don’t think it carried over into the games.

We were never really blown out except for the KC game and we still made it interesting. They shredded us on defense in that game.

Denver game we had the stupid fumble at the GL by Grimble.

Cleveland game was a ton of turnovers.

Saints game was terrible pass interference calls and a fumble late.

A few lucky bounces or breaks and we probably make the playoffs.

Captain Lemming
05-28-2019, 09:48 AM

While I get your point, I think there is a mix of factors. I believe we need to fix the defense to win a SB true. Made kicks would have got us in despite the drama last season...true as well.

But I also believe if you take away last seasons chaos......we were a playoff caliber (not SB) team and could have at least made the playoffs.

It needs to be fixed and I am encouraged by what we see now.

Northern_Blitz
05-28-2019, 10:26 AM
While I get your point, I think there is a mix of factors. I believe we need to fix the defense to win a SB true. Made kicks would have got us in despite the drama last season...true as well.

But I also believe if you take away last seasons chaos......we were a playoff caliber (not SB) team and could have at least made the playoffs.

I think that's pretty close to how I feel.

But, I also didn't think that the 2006 team was capable of winning a SB.

Getting in gives you a chance to get lucky.

Captain Lemming
05-28-2019, 10:43 AM
I think that's pretty close to how I feel.

But, I also didn't think that the 2006 team was capable of winning a SB.

Getting in gives you a chance to get lucky.

The 2006 team......missed the playoffs....:)

I figure you are talking the 2005 team (2006 SB, which I figure you were referring to)

You did not think THAT team could win the SB?

At this point of the offseason, Ben had yet to lose a regular season start, including beating both SB teams (Eagles and Pats) in the regular season and only career loss was losing to the Pats as a nervous playoff rookie.

It was the best regular season record in team history. THAT is the season preceding that SB win. Expectations could not be higher.

Sure, as the 2005 season played out they underachieved and got behind.......simply making the playoffs was challenging......but the potential was there from day one.

Northern_Blitz
05-28-2019, 11:04 AM
The 2006 team......missed the playoffs....:)

I figure you are talking the 2005 team (2006 SB, which I figure you were referring to)

You did not think THAT team could win the SB?

At this point of the offseason, Ben had yet to lose a regular season start, including beating both SB teams (Eagles and Pats) in the regular season and only career loss was losing to the Pats as a nervous playoff rookie.

It was the best regular season record in team history. THAT is the season preceding that SB win. Expectations could not be higher.

Sure, as the 2005 season played out they underachieved and got behind.......simply making the playoffs was challenging......but the potential was there from day one.

Yep. I'm talking about the 2005 team that won a SB in 2006 (looked up the date by the SB win).

While the previous year was good, I didn't think we'd be able to win the SB with a QB that young (at least if he wasn't carried by the rest of the team). And the rest of the team didn't look all that great during the season. I was happy that we made the playoffs, but figured we'd win a game or two and get sent home.

It's interesting that you bring up the 2006 season though.

According to Pro Football Reference the difference in the starting line up was:
Offense:
1. ARE (2005) out Cendick Wilson (2006) in
Honorable Mention: The Bus retired and replaced by Davenport. Davenport got about 100 fewer yards, and lots fewer TDs because they didn't let him vulture TDs in the red zone.

Defense:
1. Kemo vO (2005) out, Brett Keisel (2006) in

Special Teams:
No Changes

It's funny because after they won, I had the expectation that they would compete for a SB again. Instead, they missed the playoffs.

So, my expectations were too low in 2005, and too high in 2006. I think that team's true talent was probably somewhere in between. But, they "peaked at the right time" which is another way of saying they "got lucky in a single game elimination tournament".

But, if missing the playoffs is the price for winning a SB, I'm in.

Oh wow
05-28-2019, 11:30 AM
Yep. I'm talking about the 2005 team that won a SB in 2006 (looked up the date by the SB win).

While the previous year was good, I didn't think we'd be able to win the SB with a QB that young (at least if he wasn't carried by the rest of the team). And the rest of the team didn't look all that great during the season. I was happy that we made the playoffs, but figured we'd win a game or two and get sent home.

It's interesting that you bring up the 2006 season though.

According to Pro Football Reference the difference in the starting line up was:
Offense:
1. ARE (2005) out Cendick Wilson (2006) in
Honorable Mention: The Bus retired and replaced by Davenport. Davenport got about 100 fewer yards, and lots fewer TDs because they didn't let him vulture TDs in the red zone.

Defense:
1. Kemo vO (2005) out, Brett Keisel (2006) in

Special Teams:
No Changes

It's funny because after they won, I had the expectation that they would compete for a SB again. Instead, they missed the playoffs.

So, my expectations were too low in 2005, and too high in 2006. I think that team's true talent was probably somewhere in between. But, they "peaked at the right time" which is another way of saying they "got lucky in a single game elimination tournament".

But, if missing the playoffs is the price for winning a SB, I'm in.

Pretty sure Ben had his accident in 2006.

I definitely thought we had a chance to make some noise before the accident.

Oh wow
05-28-2019, 11:38 AM

I don’t think any of that chaos caused us to lose games. I think Bell not showing up angered the OL but also gave them fuel to prove they could do it without him.

One thing I think really hurt us was Ben and AB. I think they had some tit for tat issues going into the season. I seem to remember AB leaving OTA’s early and then coming back and crying to the media about how he was treated unfairly.

I also remember Ben talking about how he needed to be present for workouts (probably a dig at AB) to show leadership and then he went on vacation the next day and never came back. LOL.

They weren’t on the same page for the first quarter of the season and it hurt our passing game. There were plays where the ball was 5 yards out of bounds on long throws and times AB stopped his route when ben thought he was going deep.

We didn’t know it at the time but I think these 2 were on cracked ice before the season even started.

Captain Lemming
05-28-2019, 10:14 PM
I don’t think any of that chaos caused us to lose games. I think Bell not showing up angered the OL but also gave them fuel to prove they could do it without him.

One thing I think really hurt us was Ben and AB. I think they had some tit for tat issues going into the season. I seem to remember AB leaving OTA’s early and then coming back and crying to the media about how he was treated unfairly.

I also remember Ben talking about how he needed to be present for workouts (probably a dig at AB) to show leadership and then he went on vacation the next day and never came back. LOL.

They weren’t on the same page for the first quarter of the season and it hurt our passing game. There were plays where the ball was 5 yards out of bounds on long throws and times AB stopped his route when ben thought he was going deep.

We didn’t know it at the time but I think these 2 were on cracked ice before the season even started.

Soooo, you claim to disagree with me. (Your normal knee jerk response to my posts).THEN you use 3/4 of your post to make my case with far more details than I gave? :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:
Dizz, you could have just used the emoticon :Agree

Or better you really need to “go Maniac” and just say “BOOM”. :)

Steel Maniac
05-29-2019, 08:12 AM
Soooo, you claim to disagree with me. (Your normal knee jerk response to my posts).THEN you use 3/4 of your post to make my case with far more details than I gave? :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

Boom........

Oh wow
05-29-2019, 10:23 AM

When did I disagree with you in my post?

I look at it as a 2 part series. I don’t think many people really thought AB was a distraction early in the season.

I think the initial blame by most fans was Bell in the preseason in early part of the year and AB in the second half of the season.

We were 6-2-1 at one point last season. Probably should’ve been 7-2 but we had an amazing amount of turnovers in that first game.

Jooser
05-29-2019, 10:38 AM
Who’s Dud?

https://youtu.be/Hah_IVlAr0Y

LMMFAO! That's exactly what I was thinkin' Flip!!!