PDA

View Full Version : Landry Jones was a Good Pick

ikestops85
05-14-2019, 01:47 PM
Since it's the off season I thought I'd post this. I find it extremely funny and it just goes to show how inexact a science evaluating players is. Here it is:

E.J. Manuel announced his retirement yesterday. On the surface, that shouldn’t mean much to you except “wow, he was still in the league?” Here’s why it’s relevant. It basically cements Landry Jones as, and I can’t believe I’m saying this, maybe the best quarterback of the 2013 draft class.
Seriously.

For starters, Jones is the only QB selected that year to have more wins than losses.
Mike Glennon: 6-16
Geno Smith: 12-19
EJ Manuel: 6-12
Matt Barkley: 2-5
Landry Jones: 3-2
Jones also has the highest completion percentage, touchdown rate, and QB rating than the others, too. By no means is this to say that Jones is a great or even good quarterback. It just puts in perspective how terrible that draft class was and for the Steelers, relatively speaking, they made an ok pick.
Especially when you consider cost and investment. Manuel, Glennon, and Smith were all taken in the top 75. Jones was the last QB of those five off the board at 115 overall. He was the 6th quarterback taken, even behind Ryan Nassib, who only attempted ten career passes and never made an official start.
Jones was re-signed for two years, $4.4 million in 2017 while Glennon, in one of the worst contracts of this decade, received a 3 year, $45 million deal from Chicago that promptly fell flat on its face (he started four games, winning one). He went on to sign a two year, $8 million deal with the Arizona Cardinals, throwing only 21 passes and getting cut this past March.
Funny enough, Glennon and Jones now share the same locker room, both signed by Jon Gruden and the Raiders. After failing to draft a quarterback this year, the backup spots to Derek Carr is pretty wide open with Glennon, Jones, and Nathan Peterman on the roster. But given the fact Carr has missed just a pair of games in his NFL career, it’s unlikely that whoever becomes his backup will have much of an opportunity to pad their stats.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/a-reminder-landry-jones-was-in-a-way-a-good-choice/

Northern_Blitz
05-14-2019, 01:54 PM
Since it's the off season I thought I'd post this. I find it extremely funny and it just goes to show how inexact a science evaluating players is. Here it is:

E.J. Manuel announced his retirement yesterday. On the surface, that shouldn’t mean much to you except “wow, he was still in the league?” Here’s why it’s relevant. It basically cements Landry Jones as, and I can’t believe I’m saying this, maybe the best quarterback of the 2013 draft class.
Seriously.

For starters, Jones is the only QB selected that year to have more wins than losses.
Jones also has the highest completion percentage, touchdown rate, and QB rating than the others, too. By no means is this to say that Jones is a great or even good quarterback. It just puts in perspective how terrible that draft class was and for the Steelers, relatively speaking, they made an ok pick.
Especially when you consider cost and investment. Manuel, Glennon, and Smith were all taken in the top 75. Jones was the last QB of those five off the board at 115 overall. He was the 6th quarterback taken, even behind Ryan Nassib, who only attempted ten career passes and never made an official start.
Jones was re-signed for two years, $4.4 million in 2017 while Glennon, in one of the worst contracts of this decade, received a 3 year, $45 million deal from Chicago that promptly fell flat on its face (he started four games, winning one). He went on to sign a two year, $8 million deal with the Arizona Cardinals, throwing only 21 passes and getting cut this past March.
Funny enough, Glennon and Jones now share the same locker room, both signed by Jon Gruden and the Raiders. After failing to draft a quarterback this year, the backup spots to Derek Carr is pretty wide open with Glennon, Jones, and Nathan Peterman on the roster. But given the fact Carr has missed just a pair of games in his NFL career, it’s unlikely that whoever becomes his backup will have much of an opportunity to pad their stats.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/a-reminder-landry-jones-was-in-a-way-a-good-choice/

QB seems to be the hardest position to scout in the NFL.

I'd say it's probably among the hardest in all major sports. I think goalie in the NHL is harder, but I know not everyone considers the NHL to be a major sport.

Oh wow
05-14-2019, 03:22 PM
Never understood how EJ was drafted so high. Pretty sure he was drafted by Buffalo because they saw him throw on a windy/rainy day and were impressed by his arm strength.

His decision making was suspect though.

Not sure how this makes Landry better than any of them since he only started 5 games and 3 of them were probably against the Browns.

hawaiiansteel
05-14-2019, 03:48 PM

impressive, Landry Jones is the tallest person at a midget convention.

Shawn
05-15-2019, 10:15 AM
IMO, there are things that online scouts have a hard time evaluating when it comes to QB. Poise, confidence, leadership, football intellect etc. With that said, some things can be evaluated. The first thing I look at is accuracy. Very rarely does an inaccurate college QB become accurate in the pros. If they are inaccurate, move on. Second, is arm strength which IMO is overrated but needed. I don't want a Cutler. I want a guy who throws a tight soft catch-able ball and can squeeze windows. A guy who throws a soft deep ball with accuracy. That's a tough combo to find. I look next at how a QB progresses through his reads. If his head is stationary, doesn't buy time and most of his passes are to his first look, pass. Some can learn to progress through reads but you don't take those guys in the first round generally speaking. I love pocket presence, a guy who seems to feel the rush and makes small moves to make blitzers adjust their lines. I love evaluating QB against top notch competition when the lights are brightest. Creativity and the ability to extend plays are a plus.

Steel Maniac
05-15-2019, 10:28 AM
IMO, there are things that online scouts have a hard time evaluating when it comes to QB. Poise, confidence, leadership, football intellect etc. With that said, some things can be evaluated. The first thing I look at is accuracy. Very rarely does an inaccurate college QB become accurate in the pros. If they are inaccurate, move on. Second, is arm strength which IMO is overrated but needed. I don't want a Cutler. I want a guy who throws a tight soft catch-able ball and can squeeze windows. A guy who throws a soft deep ball with accuracy. That's a tough combo to find. I look next at how a QB progresses through his reads. If his head is stationary, doesn't buy time and most of his passes are to his first look, pass. Some can learn to progress through reads but you don't take those guys in the first round generally speaking. I love pocket presence, a guy who seems to feel the rush and makes small moves to make blitzers adjust their lines. I love evaluating QB against top notch competition when the lights are brightest. Creativity and the ability to extend plays are a plus.

Well said Shawn. That's exactly why Lamar Jackson will not be a good franchise QB.

Shawn
05-16-2019, 11:22 AM
Well said Shawn. That's exactly why Lamar Jackson will not be a good franchise QB.. I’m not sure Jackson fits your stereotypical QB evaluation. His WRs were junk, he is electric with a monster arm and the ability to deliver strikes from deep. I do think he is Vick like. He may never be a franchise Qb but he will be hard to game plan for, will fill seats, and has a very high ceiling if he can develop his pocket ability.

Oh wow
05-16-2019, 11:36 AM
. I’m not sure Jackson fits your stereotypical QB evaluation. His WRs were junk, he is electric with a monster arm and the ability to deliver strikes from deep. I do think he is Vick like. He may never be a franchise Qb but he will be hard to game plan for, will fill seats, and has a very high ceiling if he can develop his pocket ability.

They definitely relied on his legs last year and it got them to the playoffs.

It will be interesting to see how he progresses and how he is handled this year.

SidSmythe
05-18-2019, 09:29 AM
Landry Jones could have been a decent career backup at least if he didnt play so cautiously.
He reminds me of the O'Donnell days....more worried about keeping his INT % at a low rather than making big plays.
He proved he could play QB in the NFL but obviously he couldn't overcome the mental aspect to do it Full Time.

Oh wow
05-18-2019, 09:41 AM
Landry Jones could have been a decent career backup at least if he didnt play so cautiously.
He reminds me of the O'Donnell days....more worried about keeping his INT % at a low rather than making big plays.

Hmm. I actually think Landry was too aggressive and careless with the ball.

Pretty sure he came into the Cincinnati playoff game and immediately threw an INT.

Captain Lemming
05-18-2019, 09:57 AM
He proved he could play QB in the NFL but obviously he couldn't overcome the mental aspect to do it Full Time.

I'd take the notoriously "cautious afraid to throw a pick" version of O'Donnell in the SB rather than the reckless gunslinger impostor who showed up that day.....we'd have one more ring. :)

Captain Lemming
05-18-2019, 10:01 AM
Hmm. I actually think Landry was too aggressive and careless with the ball.

Pretty sure he came into the Cincinnati playoff game and immediately threw an INT.

And that is awesome...interceptions are good.
Isn't the topic of this thread......Landry Jones....."good pick"? :)

hawaiiansteel
05-24-2019, 03:31 AM
Landry Jones: Cut loose by Oakland

by RotoWire Staff May 22, 2019

Jones was released by the Raiders on Wednesday, Matt Schneidman of The San Jose Mercury News reports.

Jones was cut to make room for tight end Erik Swoope, who was signed by the team Tuesday. The 2013 fourth-round pick had a lengthy run as the backup quarterback in Pittsburgh, making five starts in five years before he was unseated by Joshua Dobbs and Mason Rudolph during the 2018 preseason. Derek Carr, Mike Glennon and Nathan Peterman remain on the depth chart at quarterback for the Raiders.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/landry-jones-cut-loose-by-oakland/

The Man of Steel
05-24-2019, 07:27 AM
Derek Carr, Mike Glennon and Nathan Peterman remain on the depth chart at quarterback for the Raiders.
The Raiders kept Nathan Peterman and cut Landry Jones? What in the hell?

Oviedo
05-24-2019, 09:30 AM
The Raiders kept Nathan Peterman and cut Landry Jones? What in the hell?

Same folks who traded Khalil Mack. Don't look for logic or assume these guys have any clue

Maybe Jones had too much background info on Brown and was letting the team know what a douche he is

Steel Maniac
05-24-2019, 10:20 AM
I'd take the notoriously "cautious afraid to throw a pick" version of O'Donnell in the SB rather than the reckless gunslinger impostor who showed up that day.....we'd have one more ring. :)

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!

hawaiiansteel
08-15-2019, 03:08 PM
Veteran backup Jones first QB to sign with XFL

Kevin Seifert

Former NFL backup Landry Jones is the first quarterback to sign with the new XFL, the league announced Thursday.

Jones, 30, has not yet been assigned to an XFL team. He will be part of an eight-man quarterback draft to take place this fall.

The XFL, which is scheduled to debut next February, began sending draft pool invitations to players earlier this month. It plans to hold its primary draft in October, followed by a series of minicamps in December and a three-week training camp in January.

Commissioner Oliver Luck has said the "vast majority" of players in the draft pool will have had some level of professional experience, either in the NFL, CFL or AAF.

Jones started five games in five seasons for the Pittsburgh Steelers from 2013-17 and spent time last season with the Jacksonville Jaguars. He worked out with the Raiders during organized team activities in May, but was cut afterwards.

Jones has a chance to be reunited with his college coach at Oklahoma, Bob Stoops, who is the coach/general manager of the XFL's Dallas franchise.

Jones played in 19 games with five starts during his NFL career, completing 63.9 percent of his passes for 1,310 yards with eight touchdowns and seven interceptions.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27394991/veteran-backup-jones-first-qb-sign-xfl