PDA

View Full Version : Slowest Part of the Offseason???

flippy
05-01-2019, 07:58 AM
Now the draft is done and we wait 3 months for training camp.

To me this seems like the worst part of the offseason. At least leading up to the draft we can speculate on draft picks. Now we just wait?

And wait. And wait.

And then another couple months til the season starts.

RuthlessBurgher
05-01-2019, 10:48 AM

To me this seems like the worst part of the offseason. At least leading up to the draft we can speculate on draft picks. Now we just wait?

And wait. And wait.

No Penguins hockey at this time of year makes it even worse.

Plus, I couldn't possibly care less about baseball.

flippy
05-01-2019, 02:34 PM
No Penguins hockey at this time of year makes it even worse.

Plus, I couldn't possibly care less about baseball.

I'm reluctantly rooting for the Hurricanes. I can't give up on hockey yet and the Pens losing is a nightmare for Pittsburghers right now. I should say that's true if you're under 70 which seems to be the majority of Bucco fans I know.

At least the Capitals are out too.

RuthlessBurgher
05-01-2019, 02:50 PM
I want to know how baseball teams are now signing players to fully guaranteed contracts worth over $300M dollars?

Who is watching this stuff? I don't get it...

In all my years travelling out to Pittsburgh for Steeler games, I've only see a Pirates game one time, because people said that it was best stadium in the league to see a game live in person. The stadium was fine, I guess, but the game itself just puts me to sleep. Give me football and hockey all day long.

I literally have no idea who has won the World Series for the last decade or more. The only one I recall was the Cubs a few years ago, because that was such a big story that even I couldn't avoid it (still didn't watch any of those games, though...I actually tried watching the end of a playoff game on TV a few years ago, but couldn't make it more than an inning). Other than that, who is good now? The Yankees? I don't care.

flippy
05-01-2019, 04:13 PM
I want to know how baseball teams are now signing players to fully guaranteed contracts worth over $300M dollars?

In all my years travelling out to Pittsburgh for Steeler games, I've only see a Pirates game one time, because people said that it was best stadium in the league to see a game live in person. The stadium was fine, I guess, but the game itself just puts me to sleep. Give me football and hockey all day long.

I literally have no idea who has won the World Series for the last decade or more. The only one I recall was the Cubs a few years ago, because that was such a big story that even I couldn't avoid it (still didn't watch any of those games, though...I actually tried watching the end of a playoff game on TV a few years ago, but couldn't make it more than an inning). Other than that, who is good now? The Yankees? I don't care.

I don't really follow, but I enjoy a game every now and then, drinking beer outside, walking around an architectural marvel of a stadium and all. But I have a lot of family and friends that are baseball fans. Not a lot, but enough to hear stories and accidentally keep up.

I think the biggest problem is that Boston, NY, LA, and Chicago spend ~$200m/yr in salaries while the Pirates spend $70m which is about 1/3. Why would you root for a team that has essentially no chance to compete in the long run. The Red Sox might as well spend $1B and the Pirates should grab a local high school JV team for free. They'd have about the same chance of being competitive.

It'd be like the Rooney's cutting their spending by 2/3 for the current roster and giving up now.

It's a shame. Pittsburgher's shouldn't have to pay taxes to have built a stadium for a team that has no interest in being anything other than profitable. It's a nice stadium and all, but I have no interest in supporting an organization that's not built for the fans. Baseball is a sham.

Disco1981
05-01-2019, 06:42 PM

And wait. And wait.

I think you answered your own question

fordfixer
05-01-2019, 09:14 PM

Baseball is just filler until football starts, and it’s not even a good filler.

hawaiiansteel
05-01-2019, 09:23 PM
Baseball is just filler until football starts, and it’s not even a good filler.

might help if the Pirates were better...

Disco1981
05-02-2019, 11:17 AM
I like them all...Baseball, Hockey, Football...Ex Athlete ( the key word is Ex) Just loved everything Sports my whole life, Still do...My 3 Boys played everything and were good ( not bragging ) And I was fortunate to help Coach them...Ok enough with the self analysis...

Football: 1st and foremost, Always the King!

Bucs and Pens: Watch as much as I can, miss a lot because I work turns...I DO NOT miss any Steelers games!

fordfixer
05-02-2019, 11:30 AM
might help if the Pirates were better...
I live in the Rock Mountain region so I sort of follow the Rockies, my wife and middle son are both Cardinals fans, the Cardinals seems to be more interested in winning than the Rockies are, so I also watch them some.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-02-2019, 01:09 PM

Maybe most years, but this year the period between end of season until the draft seemed soooooo long. Oh wait, it was. That's because the season ended about a month earlier than usual.

flippy
05-02-2019, 02:39 PM
Maybe most years, but this year the period between end of season until the draft seemed soooooo long. Oh wait, it was. That's because the season ended about a month earlier than usual.

Good point, but then we could at least spend more time rewatching college ball prepping for the draft.

Now we can't watch the Pens. The only thing we've got is the Bucs (ugh). And all we've really got is learning more about the guys we did pick and I'm kinda done with that within about a week.

What to do now?

Sugar
05-02-2019, 02:54 PM
Good point, but then we could at least spend more time rewatching college ball prepping for the draft.

Now we can't watch the Pens. The only thing we've got is the Bucs (ugh). And all we've really got is learning more about the guys we did pick and I'm kinda done with that within about a week.

What to do now?

There's Canelo v Jacobs this weekend. Boxing is better than all the other stuff anyway. :cool:

flippy
05-02-2019, 04:03 PM
There's Canelo v Jacobs this weekend. Boxing is better than all the other stuff anyway. :cool:

That's another sport I liked as a kid. Then the UFC came along and was awesome in it's early days. Then it got sanitized with weight classes, and rules, and time limits, etc. But not before it took some of the luster away from boxing. I dunno, but it kinda felt like when Buster Douglas knocked out Mike Tyson, that was a turning point in boxing and there was no great heavyweight left. Some good smaller guys, but without the big powerful knockout punches, something feels missing.

Maybe I'll watch this fight. Every once in a while I catch a boxing match and get hooked. Same with soccer. Once in a while I'll be in a bar and something will suck me in. But nothing keeps me coming back and I can get full invested in those sports.