PDA

View Full Version : FRED JOHNSON FLA F/A WITH POTENTIAL 6'7" 326lbs

Iron City Inc.
04-30-2019, 07:39 PM
So Marcus Gilbert leaves and I thought going into the draft I would look at some game tapes of top tackles. Watched a few guys and thought Juwaan Taylor of Fla was very good. Watching some of Florida games ,O line highlights and Taylor highlights n he wasn't the only guy who jumped out. So you don't always want to watch a guys highlights but watch highlights of others on the team n see if someone else pops as we used to say.
So for this large guard there is a bunch of good for a free agent:

Knee bend is good.

Hands are a bit grabby but turns his defender and walls off quickly.

Finishes blocks but will need to finish better at the pro level.

Gets to defenders on 2nd level n because of his size can shield off and keep the lane open.

Pulls ok on traps n he was able to get to the penetrator and wall off.

Pass pro thought he was very solid because he moves his feet well which is nice for a big man.

Stays on his feet and can handle the bull rush because of size.

Arm length is good and keeps defenders off his frame.

Keeps head on a swivel and picks up stunts better than average.

Hand punch when employed was strong.

Negatives :

Looks to have only played right guard.

Not the smoothest player, more technique work needed in hand placement and could get nastier in finishing blocks and not settling for the wall off.

Had at least two false starts against Miss St who has an excellent DL that included Simmons.

To have a chance at the next level he must play more than 1 position. Could he kick to RT ? IDK, Left guard ? Perhaps. If he can flip or somehow stay on the right side and play some RT he may have a shot .

Low side he gets smoked at camp and a free ride down route 30.

Mid range he makes PS n improves enough to compete in 20.

Ceiling is he could develop into a starting LG in 20 or 21.

So do not make Canton plans for him yet but at least he has upside and should be a interesting watch at Latrobe.
Shawn Sarrett has a nice piece of clay to mold here so lets hope he could fill MM's shoes and get the most out of this rook

Games watched ...Georgia & Mississippi St

Buzz
04-30-2019, 07:49 PM
I'd feel a lot better about this guy if we still had Munch working with the OL. Like you said, let's hope Sarrett can fill Munchak's shoes.

Shawn
05-01-2019, 06:19 PM
Nice breakdown IC. Looking forward to seeing how he pans out.

hawaiiansteel
05-01-2019, 06:31 PM
isn't 6'7" tall for a guard? sounds more like he should take some reps at RT

Iron City Inc.
05-01-2019, 06:51 PM
isn't 6'7" tall for a guard? sounds more like he should take some reps at RT

Yeah it is but not much DeCastro n Foster are both 6'5. If you can play you can play. Now he'll likely get some RT reps but I'm not sure his lateral quickness is good enough to go n excel at RT but we'll see at Latrobe n in pre-season. If he sticks and I'll say even at PS level, which I think he has a good shot at, he likely has to handle both guard positions.

hawaiiansteel
06-01-2019, 02:24 AM
Steelers have 13 offensive linemen with a case to make the 53 man roster.

Villanueva-Foster-Pouncey-DeCastro-Feiler/Okorafor
Finney
Hawkins
Banner
Gray
Morris
F. Johnson
G. Brumfield

Competition will create excellent depth.

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp %7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

hawaiiansteel
07-16-2019, 12:12 AM
Three Under-The-Radar Offensive Players Worth Watching During Steelers Training Camp

By Dave Bryan
Posted on July 15, 2019

The Pittsburgh Steelers 2019 training camp will get underway later next week and as we count down the final days until the team arrives at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, it’s also worth discussing a few under-the-radar players ahead of the first practice taking place at Chuck Noll Field a week from Friday. Today we’ll discuss my three under-the-radar offensive players ahead of the start of training camp and none of them were draft picks. All three are currently considered to be very long shots to ultimately make the team’s 53-man roster.

G Fred Johnson – The next Ramon Foster? Sure, that’s a little strong, but there’s no doubt that Johnson enters the NFL with a few similar traits that Foster had when he came out of Tennessee. After initially playing some at right tackle at Florida, Johnson, who measured in at this year’s scouting combine at 6071, 326-pounds, ultimately found a permanent home at right guard. While not the most athletic specimen, Johnson’s above-average technique as a run and pass blocker at Florida made his play easily stick out on tape. He pulled some to the left at Florida as well with good results most of the time. On paper, the Steelers are set when it comes to offensive line spots on their 2019 53-man roster. However, one injury to interior player between now and the start of the regular season could result in a spot being available for Johnson to grab. During training camp and the preseason it will be interesting to see if Johnson stays exclusively on the right side and if he gets some limited work at left guard. Johnson received the second highest signing bonus of this year’s undrafted players signed by the Steelers so that tells you quite a bit about how they felt about him.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/07/three-under-the-radar-offensive-players-worth-watching-during-steelers-training-camp/

Oviedo
07-16-2019, 01:50 AM
Steelers have 13 offensive linemen with a case to make the 53 man roster.

Villanueva-Foster-Pouncey-DeCastro-Feiler/Okorafor
Finney
Hawkins
Banner
Gray
Morris
F. Johnson
G. Brumfield

Competition will create excellent depth.

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp %7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Add Tackle Damian Prince from Maryland to that list

Steel Maniac
07-16-2019, 09:59 AM
Sounds like an O-line that could be/should be road graders when it all shakes out. Maybe dominate time of possession hopefully.

Iron City Inc.
07-17-2019, 02:04 PM
An O line with some depth. Team depth overall is solid. An area where perhaps that depth could lead to a trade prior to the pre-season ending. Be nice for a change where we pick up an extra draft pick ( even a late selection) at the end of camp instead of trading one away because we're thin somewhere.

RuthlessBurgher
07-17-2019, 02:16 PM
Or maybe trade away some extra depth at OL, WR, or CB to upgrade depth options at TE or S.

Steel Maniac
07-17-2019, 05:45 PM
An O line with some depth. Team depth overall is solid. An area where perhaps that depth could lead to a trade prior to the pre-season ending. Be nice for a change where we pick up an extra draft pick ( even a late selection) at the end of camp instead of trading one away because we're thin somewhere.

True..........but it never hurts to have a lot of O-line depth. It's interesting. If we can get through camp with no injuries in that line then it's definitely something to ponder.

Captain Lemming
07-18-2019, 10:22 AM
True..........but it never hurts to have a lot of O-line depth. It's interesting. If we can get through camp with no injuries in that line then it's definitely something to ponder.

True. I love me some D DeCastro…….but he is known to take a teammate out all by himself. :)

Steel Maniac
07-18-2019, 11:27 AM
True. I love me some D DeCastro…….but he is known to take a teammate out all by himself. :)

Ha! Hopefully not this year. Because we are running the rock strong this year. By hook or crook.

Oviedo
07-18-2019, 11:00 PM

Not sure we trade guys who have already started or been key back ups, e.g. Finney. Not sure there is trade value for the other guys who haven't made team before and other teams know will likely need to be cut or stashed on the practice squad.

With the number of "potentially" good offensive linemen we have, likely the only way we keep them is a training camp "IR worthy" injury

Steel Maniac
07-19-2019, 10:27 AM
Not sure we trade guys who have already started or been key back ups, e.g. Finney. Not sure there is trade value for the other guys who haven't made team before and other teams know will likely need to be cut or stashed on the practice squad.

With the number of "potentially" good offensive linemen we have, likely the only way we keep them is a training camp "IR worthy" injury

Having too many good O-lineman? That's like having too much good ice cream. :tt2

hawaiiansteel
08-02-2019, 09:35 PM
Alex Kozora
@Alex_Kozora

Coaches asking OL Fred Johnson to go rep after rep in OL/DL. Doing well. Look well conditioned. Maintaining physicality.

Tempers flare between Fred Johnson and Anthony Chickillo. Johnson drove Chick to ground. Jaw as teammates separate them.

Sager
08-02-2019, 10:36 PM
Tomlin seems to have an extra eye on Johnson in camp too. I've heard him shout "Freddie" a few times and not ever in a disappointing tone.

hawaiiansteel
08-08-2019, 12:06 AM
Steelers rookie 'Big Gainesville' making big gains in first NFL training camp

RAY FITTIPALDO
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
AUG 7, 2019

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin has a nickname for just about everyone during training camp. Rookie quarterback Devlin Hodges, for example, is “Duck Dynasty.” Fred Johnson, the 6-foot-7, 326-pound offensive lineman from the University of Florida, is “Big Gainesville.”

In summers past there was “Nightmare” and “Bell Biv DeVoe,” the off-the-cuff monikers for running backs Terrell Watson and Brandon Brown-Dukes. “Dirty Red” is Tyler Matakevich. That one has had staying power because the former seventh-round pick is entering his fourth NFL season.

“You know how it is,” Tomlin said. “It is easier sometimes to call them a nickname.”

Johnson laughed Tuesday when informed of Tomlin’s nickname for him. Even though Tomlin calls it out often when Johnson is about to take a rep in one-on-one drills against the defensive linemen, Johnson said he was oblivious to it.

“I don’t even hear it, I’m so locked in,” he said. “I don’t know where that nickname came from. But if people started calling me that, I wouldn’t be mad.”

Whether any of the nicknames for the rookies stick largely depends on whether they make it onto the 53-man roster or practice squad. The Steelers are stocked with quality offensive linemen, but “Big Gainesville” is making big gains during his first NFL camp.

Offensive linemen of Johnson’s size usually end up as tackles. Many NFL teams shy away from tall guards for a variety of reasons. Guards have to play with great leverage because their job requires them to uproot heavy interior defensive linemen. It’s much more difficult for taller linemen to play with leverage on a consistent basis. There is also the matter of tall linemen impeding the vision of the quarterback, which is less of an issue for the Steelers because Ben Roethlisberger is 6-5 and doesn’t have that issue.

The Steelers, in fact, originally signed Johnson as a tackle and played him there when he first arrived in the spring. But he’s settled in at guard and has showed off his skill set. He’s smooth in pass protection and has shown an ability to win one-on-one battles with consistency.

On Tuesday, when several starting offensive linemen went down with injuries, Johnson played guard and tackle. For offensive linemen that are hoping to make the roster or practice squad as reserves, the ability to play two positions is a must because teams usually only dress seven or eight linemen on game days. Centers have to be able to play guard. Guards have to be able to play tackle. Tackles have to be able to play tight end.

“We’ve got a lot of young guys who are vying for roles and part of that is to make yourself versatile,” Tomlin said. “We’ve got tackles playing the left side and the right side. We have tackles playing guard and tackle. Versatility is big for situations such as that. We call on guys to show what they are capable of. It is no different than game day for us. Those two or three backups have to have some versatility.”

Johnson has looked so comfortable and confident that it makes one wonder how he went undrafted. Most NFL draft analysts thought he would be drafted somewhere in the later rounds. When his name wasn’t called, Johnson signed with the Steelers, who have a strong history of developing undrafted free agents. More than half their starters on the line entered the league as undrafted free agents.

“I thought I would go somewhere around the fifth round or after,” Johnson said. “I can’t dwell on that now. It’s in the past. In college I wasn’t a top recruit. We had a Number 1 lineman. There was stuff that could have deterred me from going there. But I went there anyway and made a name for myself. Now I have to do the same thing here. I like being the underdog. I like having to work for stuff so I can say I earned it.

“Some things in life you can’t control. You have to play the cards you’re dealt. That’s one thing that motivated me to come out here and decide where I wanted to go. The opportunity is in front of me. Now I just have to go get it.”

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2019/08/07/Big-Gainesville-Fred-Johnson-Mike-Tomlin-Steelers-offensive-line/stories/201908070103