PDA

View Full Version : GM Kevin Colbert Defends Bud Dupree, Steelers’ Presumed Lack Of OLB Depth

hawaiiansteel
04-30-2019, 06:42 PM
GM Kevin Colbert Defends Bud Dupree, Steelers’ Presumed Lack Of OLB Depth

By Dave Bryan
Posted on April 30, 2019

While the Pittsburgh Steelers did somewhat address the outside linebacker position during the 2019 NFL Draft with the selection of former Northern Illinois defensive end Sutton Smith, it’s hard to imagine the 6003, 233-pound MAC-pass-rushing-dynamo becoming a long-time starter and thus the team’s heir apparent to current starter Bud Dupree, who is scheduled to play what might ultimately be his final season in Pittsburgh in 2019 while earning more than $9 million in the process.

With Dupree now seemingly set to go unchallenged for his starting outside linebacker position this year, Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert was asked during a Tuesday morning interview on 93.7 The Fan to reveal what it is that he and the rest of the Steelers organization sees in Dupree that a lot of analysts and fans on the outside probably don’t see in the former first-round draft pick out of Kentucky.

“When we look at Bud and we look at T.J. [Watt] collectively, those two had as good a season as we’ve had out of that position,” Colbert said. “And you know, Coach [Mike Tomlin] made the switch last year and put T.J. mostly on the left and Bud mostly on the right and the four, Cam [Heyward] and [Stephon] Tuitt and [Javon] Hargrave, with those two, we got more pressure last year than we had in recent years. So, I think Bud is a part of that. Can he do more? Does he want to do more? Absolutely. And we think he will. So, as I’ve said, at 9-6-1, we weren’t good enough in any one area, but we certainly believe that Bud was a contributor and he will be a contributor probably even in a more beneficial mode for us this year.”

While Colbert still seemingly has a lot of confidence in Dupree, and in 2019 possibly being the best season of his career, the Steelers general manager was also quick to point out that the depth behind the team’s two starters maybe isn’t as bad as what most seem to think.

“But in that position, we also had Ola [Adeniyi], who was with us last year – the young free agent and we had gotten from Toledo, did some real good things in the preseason,” Colbert said. “[He] didn’t get to play too much [last season] because he was on Reserve/Injured and activated late in the year. Anthony Chickillo we wanted to keep in the mix, and then when you get the guy like Sutton Smith who, you know, Sutton was a defensive end at Northern Illinois, but he’ll be projected to be an outside linebacker for us.”

As for Smith, who registered 30 total in the 38 total games that he played in at Northern Illinois, in addition to 20 official quarterback hurries in those three seasons, Colbert doesn’t seem to be overly worried about his lack of height or weight as he enters the NFL.

“And you know, we talk about, well, he’s going to be short and that, but he was very productive like James Harrison was in the MAC with 13 and a half sacks and 15 sacks,” Colbert said of Smith. “So, can a shorter guy succeed as an outside rusher? Yes, they can. Again, we look at James for that reference. So, I think with Ola and Bud and Chick and T.J., and Sutton Smith getting in the mix. I think we’ll have some good pressure.”

All eyes this summer will be on backup outside linebackers Olasunkanmi Adeniyi and Smith and maybe even Keion Adams, who Colbert failed to even mention on Tuesday, and that’s probably not a great sign. While Adeniyi certainly did look like he can play the outside linebacker spot in the Steelers defense last year during the preseason, he played less than 10 defensive snaps late during the 2018 regular season after finally returning from the team’s Reserve//Injured list. In short, he should be expected to have a great second training camp and preseason as much as Colbert has bragged about him this offseason.

While the Steelers did manage to re-sign Anthony Chickillo this offseason, they almost had to because of him being the only experienced outside linebacker behind starters Dupree and T.J. Watt. Chickillo, however, seemingly is what he is at this point and that’s a marginal backup whose biggest asset to the team comes on special teams. Should either Dupree or Watt suffer an injury that results in a lot of missed games this season, the Steelers defense might be in a world of trouble and especially if Adeniyi doesn’t quickly show that he’s a better option than Chickillo.

Yes, I will certainly be rooting for Smith to turn out to be more than just a special teams player, but odd are probably good that at best, he’ll just be a backup with most of value coming in the third phase of the game.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/04/gm-kevin-colbert-defends-bud-dupree-steelers-presumed-lack-of-olb-depth/

The Man of Steel
04-30-2019, 06:56 PM
Chase Winovich could have helped out but we needed another small wide receiver more.

Steel Maniac
04-30-2019, 07:12 PM
Hahahahahahaha..Pats ran to the podium for Winovich too. Lol

The Man of Steel
04-30-2019, 07:31 PM
Hahahahahahaha..Pats ran to the podium for Winovich too. Lol
If you just Google “Chase Winovich” you’ll end up getting dozens of links to recent articles that discuss the crazy love affair that the Patriots and their fans have with Winovich. It sickening but I have a hunch that he’s going to be a really good player for them.

Steel Maniac
05-01-2019, 12:58 AM
Me too. I’m just hoping that us not drafting him doesn’t haunt us by Winovich getting a big hit on Ben or some other game changing play.

dreegking
05-01-2019, 07:07 AM
I’m confused tent with Dupree myself and the guts in fold. Johnson will be more than Winovich. Nitcworried anout that lame claim of supposed positional need and missed draftable player. I think Sutton Smith will give Winovich a run for his value all by himself. I do think both will be solid players.

Steel Maniac
05-01-2019, 09:18 AM
The fact that he needs to even defend Bust Dupree says all you need to know about Dupree. This season is his last call for alcohol.

Steel Maniac
05-01-2019, 09:46 AM
Why?? Is that going to make you feel better about Dupree in some way?

Ghost
05-01-2019, 12:04 PM
2 fumbles, 1 interception (a gift from Fitazpatrick when he threw it straight up in the air) and never more the 6 sacks in a season. So glad the first rounder is such a huge "contributor" to the D and isn't eating up $9M of the cap... Oh...wait...

NorthCoast
05-01-2019, 12:32 PM
My take on Colbert's words; 'Watt makes Bud a better player, but Bud alone isn't special..'

Steel Maniac
05-01-2019, 12:50 PM
That about sums it up...

Oh wow
05-01-2019, 02:23 PM
Dupree is fine. 9 mill isn’t a lot for an edge rusher these days.

LMAO at getting no credit for catching an INT and returning it for a TD. We have DB’s who lost games for missing easy INT’s on the last drive.

Ghost
05-01-2019, 09:26 PM
Yep. No credit. A 7th grader could have caught that. Dupree is a less than adequate edge rusher who has no nose for the ball and is not an impact player. Only a f’n apologist would still be making excuses for this bust of a first round pick. Enough of the bullsh!t with this cardboard cut out of an end.

Steel Maniac
05-02-2019, 08:49 AM
Yep. No credit. A 7th grader could have caught that. Dupree is a less than adequate edge rusher who has no nose for the ball and is not an impact player. Only a f’n apologist would still be making excuses for this bust of a first round pick. Enough of the bullsh!t with this cardboard cut out of an end.

Well, you have seen we have some Dupree apologist. The guy is a bust to this point. I remember these same guys saying how JJ was going to put it together that final year. :rolleyes:

RuthlessBurgher
05-02-2019, 11:47 AM
Huey Richardson was a bust.

Alonzo Jackson was a bust.

While Bud Dupree may not have completely lived up to his vast potential as a pass rusher up to this point, he is at least a capable NFL starter, not a complete and total washout bust.

NorthCoast
05-02-2019, 11:51 AM
Huey Richardson was a bust.

Alonzo Jackson was a bust.

While Bud Dupree may not have completely lived up to his vast potential as a pass rusher up to this point, he is at least a capable NFL starter, not a complete and total washout bust.

A more tempered evaluation that I agree with.

The Steelers could, and have done worse at the position.

Ghost
05-02-2019, 12:10 PM
Dupree has him in sacks but otherwise is comparable to Jarvis Jones. After 4 years Jones had more ints and forced fumbles. And Dupree has only 3 more tackles than Jones. So I guess calling him a huge disappointment rather than a bust should make everyone feel better.

Buzz
05-02-2019, 12:23 PM
No, Dupree isn't a total bust, but he's really showed himself to be more of a backup/rotational caliber OLB. For $9 million/year, he's not giving us much bang for the buck.

NorthCoast
05-02-2019, 01:02 PM
The Steelers have a proven track record of being better than average in drafting players. That is something considering g where they draft year after year.

But, full disclosure, I took a look at recent draft AVs compared to historical.
Prior to Tomlin era the Steelers almost consistently drafted 5 or 6 players per draft class that ended with double digit AVs. More recently that number has dropped to 4. Could be a short term blip, could be a worrying trend in player evaluation.

Oh wow
05-02-2019, 01:20 PM
How do folks feel about Watt?

I think Flippy pointed out how Watt is a HOFer vs Cleveland and pedestrian vs the rest of the league.

Ghost
05-02-2019, 05:32 PM
Watt had 13 sacks last year. 4 vs Cle. So even if he only had 9, it’s more than Dupree has ever had in a season. Watt had more his rookie year than Dupree has ever had in a season. Watt has the same number of sacks in 2 years as Dupree in 4. Same number of INTS and 5 more forced fumbles in half the time. And he’s only 12 tackles behind with 2 less seasons.

The jump Watt made from season 1 to 2 was huge. If he improves that much between seasons 2 and 3 he’ll be a beast. Here’s hoping it happens.

Steel Maniac
05-02-2019, 05:36 PM
TJ’s arrow is pointing up. We all like what he’s done ( doing). He’s our one legit linebacker from last season.

Steel Maniac
05-02-2019, 05:44 PM
Here’s who May really surprise us

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/2019-stock-watch-olb-olasunkanmi-adeniyi-stock-up/

NorthCoast
05-03-2019, 07:21 AM
Watt had 13 sacks last year. 4 vs Cle. So even if he only had 9, it’s more than Dupree has ever had in a season. Watt had more his rookie year than Dupree has ever had in a season. Watt has the same number of sacks in 2 years as Dupree in 4. Same number of INTS and 5 more forced fumbles in half the time. And he’s only 12 tackles behind with 2 less seasons.

The jump Watt made from season 1 to 2 was huge. If he improves that much between seasons 2 and 3 he’ll be a beast. Here’s hoping it happens.

Clearly Watt is benefitting from the beast on the other side.
:grin:

fordfixer
05-03-2019, 10:17 AM
Clearly Watt is benefitting from the beast on the other side.
:grin:
Clearly lol

Steel Maniac
05-04-2019, 01:44 PM
I didn’t notice that Gary Johnson, linebacker from Texas , went undrafted. Chiefs just signed him as a free agent. Tells me iurvFO is really sold on the guys we have already.

hawaiiansteel
05-06-2019, 05:21 PM
Definition of Insanity: Butler actually said that 5th year, 1st round pick, Bust DuPree can "become a good player" & ""just a few minute things" to fix... Coach speak allowance noted... I find that insulting.

Ray Fittipaldo: They believe it. I don't think it's coachspeak. That's why it's going to be so fascinating to see how the year develops for Dupree. Almost no one outside the organization seems to be as high on him as the people inside.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2019/05/06/Ray-Fittipaldo-s-Steelers-chat-05-06-19/stories/201905060077

Steel Maniac
05-06-2019, 05:26 PM
Colbert wants to believe in the guys he drafted. That’s not necessarily a bad thing. He said the same things about JJ too in his last year.

https://stillcurtain.com/2015/03/24/do-the-pittsburgh-steelers-think-jarvis-jones-is-a-bust/

ikestops85
05-07-2019, 01:16 PM
Colbert wants to believe in the guys he drafted. That’s not necessarily a bad thing. He said the same things about JJ too in his last year.

I don't recall him saying that about Jones. Do you have a link or is this something you think he should have said?

Steel Maniac
05-07-2019, 03:36 PM
Today, 10:16 AM
ikestops85
Hall of Famer

This message is hidden because ikestops85 is on your ignore list.
View Post
Remove user from ignore list

Oh wow
05-07-2019, 03:43 PM
I guess that’s a no.

Lmao

Steel Maniac
05-07-2019, 03:48 PM
Definition of Insanity: Butler actually said that 5th year, 1st round pick, Bust DuPree can "become a good player" & ""just a few minute things" to fix... Coach speak allowance noted... I find that insulting.

Ray Fittipaldo: They believe it. I don't think it's coachspeak. That's why it's going to be so fascinating to see how the year develops for Dupree. Almost no one outside the organization seems to be as high on him as the people inside.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2019/05/06/Ray-Fittipaldo-s-Steelers-chat-05-06-19/stories/201905060077

Hawaiian, Butler has to say that now that they've committed 9 mil to the guy. Doesn't make any sense to say he's a wash out at this point. They have to ride that wave in now with him.

hawaiiansteel
05-07-2019, 03:57 PM
Hawaiian, Butler has to say that now that they've committed 9 mil to the guy. Doesn't make any sense to say he's a wash out at this point. They have to ride that wave in now with him.

that's very true, but I also believe the Steelers' coaches and front office don't believe Dupree is as bad as most Steelers' fans and message board posters think he is.

Steel Maniac
05-07-2019, 05:58 PM
that's very true, but I also believe the Steelers' coaches and front office don't believe Dupree is as bad as most Steelers' fans and message board posters think he is.

Well, we won't have to wait too long to find out. He has all the physical tools. It's just above the neck, he's lacking.

fordfixer
05-07-2019, 07:57 PM
Today, 10:16 AM
ikestops85
Hall of Famer

This message is hidden because ikestops85 is on your ignore list.
View Post
Remove user from ignore list
So we’re back to this again?

RuthlessBurgher
05-07-2019, 08:04 PM
So we’re back to this again?

Just ignore him...oh wait...nevermind. ;)

hawaiiansteel
05-10-2019, 10:12 PM
Bud Dupree is the reason the Steelers passed on Chase Winovich

by Tommy Jaggi

When the Steelers gave up their 2nd round draft choice to move up for Devin Bush, I thought there was no chance Pittsburgh would be able to land Chase Winovich. The Steelers mortgaged pick 20, pick 52, and a 2020 3rd round pick to move up to number 10 overall.

As the draft progressed into day two, I was beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel. The second round came and went, and still Chase Winovich had not been drafted.

Finally, we arrived at pick 66 overall – the first of Steelers’ 3rd round picks. The standout Michigan pass rusher was on the board. The Steelers clearly had a need at the position and Winovich fits the Steelers with his build, speed, and ferociousness. Pittsburgh had a dinner meeting with Chase at his pro day, so there was obvious interest on the part of the Steelers.

Then Diontae Johnson was drafted to the Steelers… not Chase Winovich.

Johnson may very well turn out to be a solid receiver, but the reasoning behind the decision to pass up a talented pass rusher is baffling. During a Q&A session, Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette was asked why the Steelers passed on Winovich. Here’s what he had to say:

Because THEY like Dupree. Isn’t that obvious? I’m not saying I agree. I’m just telling you why they didn’t do what you suggest.

When Dulac said they, he was referring to the men up front: Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin. In four years, Bud Dupree has not managed a season over 6.0 sacks. Though he’s not a bust on the level of Artie Burns or Jarvis Jones, his play has done anything but warranted a new contract (let alone a 5th-year option).

Kevin Colbert recently responded to questions surrounding Bud Dupree on 93.7 The Fan. Here’s what the General Manager had to say:

When we look at Bud, and when you look at T.J. collectively, those two had as good a season as we’ve had out of that position. Coach made the switch last year and put T.J. mostly on the left and Bud mostly on the right. Cam and Tuitt and Hargrave — with those two, we got more pressure last year than we have in recent years, and I think Bud is a part of that. Can he do more? Does he want to do more? Absolutely, and we think he will. As I’ve said, at 9-6-1 we weren’t good enough in any one area, but we certainly believe that Bud was a contributor and he will be a contributor probably in a more beneficial mode for us this year.

Obviously Colbert has a high deal of faith in Bud Dupree. But what reason should he?

Dupree has been average at best throughout his career. The Steelers found themselves in a perfect position to pass the flame on to another pass rusher (Chase Winovich) who would have been a substantially cheaper option and, quite possibly, a better player.

I don’t always agree with everything Pittsburgh’s front office does. Taking Diontae Johnson because you believe he’s a great player is one thing. Passing on Chase Winovich because you believe Bud Dupree is the answer is something I can not explain.

https://stillcurtain.com/2019/05/10/bud-dupree-reason-steelers-passed-on-winovich/

Northern_Blitz
05-11-2019, 09:46 AM
Bud Dupree is the reason the Steelers passed on Chase Winovich

by Tommy Jaggi

When the Steelers gave up their 2nd round draft choice to move up for Devin Bush, I thought there was no chance Pittsburgh would be able to land Chase Winovich. The Steelers mortgaged pick 20, pick 52, and a 2020 3rd round pick to move up to number 10 overall.

As the draft progressed into day two, I was beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel. The second round came and went, and still Chase Winovich had not been drafted.

Finally, we arrived at pick 66 overall – the first of Steelers’ 3rd round picks. The standout Michigan pass rusher was on the board. The Steelers clearly had a need at the position and Winovich fits the Steelers with his build, speed, and ferociousness. Pittsburgh had a dinner meeting with Chase at his pro day, so there was obvious interest on the part of the Steelers.

Then Diontae Johnson was drafted to the Steelers… not Chase Winovich.

Johnson may very well turn out to be a solid receiver, but the reasoning behind the decision to pass up a talented pass rusher is baffling. During a Q&A session, Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette was asked why the Steelers passed on Winovich. Here’s what he had to say:

Because THEY like Dupree. Isn’t that obvious? I’m not saying I agree. I’m just telling you why they didn’t do what you suggest.

When Dulac said they, he was referring to the men up front: Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin. In four years, Bud Dupree has not managed a season over 6.0 sacks. Though he’s not a bust on the level of Artie Burns or Jarvis Jones, his play has done anything but warranted a new contract (let alone a 5th-year option).

Kevin Colbert recently responded to questions surrounding Bud Dupree on 93.7 The Fan. Here’s what the General Manager had to say:

When we look at Bud, and when you look at T.J. collectively, those two had as good a season as we’ve had out of that position. Coach made the switch last year and put T.J. mostly on the left and Bud mostly on the right. Cam and Tuitt and Hargrave — with those two, we got more pressure last year than we have in recent years, and I think Bud is a part of that. Can he do more? Does he want to do more? Absolutely, and we think he will. As I’ve said, at 9-6-1 we weren’t good enough in any one area, but we certainly believe that Bud was a contributor and he will be a contributor probably in a more beneficial mode for us this year.

Obviously Colbert has a high deal of faith in Bud Dupree. But what reason should he?

Dupree has been average at best throughout his career. The Steelers found themselves in a perfect position to pass the flame on to another pass rusher (Chase Winovich) who would have been a substantially cheaper option and, quite possibly, a better player.

I don’t always agree with everything Pittsburgh’s front office does. Taking Diontae Johnson because you believe he’s a great player is one thing. Passing on Chase Winovich because you believe Bud Dupree is the answer is something I can not explain.

https://stillcurtain.com/2019/05/10/bud-dupree-reason-steelers-passed-on-winovich/

I think they also really like Johnson.

We'll see how the bets play out over the next few years

hawaiiansteel
05-13-2019, 06:01 PM
2019 Stock Watch – OLB Bud Dupree – Stock Even

By Matthew Marczi
Posted on May 13, 2019

Now that the 2019 NFL Draft is underway, and the roster heading into the offseason is close to finalized—though always fluid—it’s time to take stock of where the Pittsburgh Steelers stand. Specifically where Steelers players stand individually based on what we have seen happen over the course of the past few months.

A stock evaluation can take a couple of different approaches and I’ll try to make clear my reasonings. In some cases it will be based on more long-term trends, such as an accumulation of offseason activity. In other instances it will be a direct response to something that just happened. So we can see a player more than once over the course of the summer as we head toward training camp.

Player: OLB Bud Dupree

Stock Value: Even

Nothing has really changed for Bud Dupree as a result of the 2019 NFL Draft. This season remains a make-or-break year for the fifth-year veteran as the team determines whether or not he can represent a viable option for a long-term starting role. They are past the point at which they can have him for cheap or to count on continued growth gained by experience.

Dupree has been a full-time starter for most of his career now, and while he has had some injury issues limit him over that time, it’s fair to say that his numbers have disappointed relative to expectations when he has been on the field.

Even though they are already thin at outside linebacker, however, the Steelers didn’t really make any major additions to the position this offseason. Outside of Reserve/Future signings and undrafted free agents, the only move that they made was to add the undersized Sutton Smith in the sixth round.

While there is a good amount of buzz on Smith because of what he showed in the MAC, nobody should really be counting on him to be making any waves on defense during his rookie season. Basically, there’s no reason to believe that Dupree won’t be on the field for his usual amount of snaps.

The question is who will be rotating with him, and that depends on how much growth Olasunkanmi Adeniyi shows. If the second-year former undrafted free agent shows up, he should rotate with Dupree on the right side while Anthony Chickillo primarily backs up T.J. Watt on the other side.

But, again, as mentioned, everything pretty much remains status quo since before the draft when it comes to Dupree and his 2019 season and whatever might come beyond that. It will ultimately be determined by what he does on the field, and he should get ample opportunity to show what he can do in his fifth season.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/2019-stock-watch-olb-bud-dupree-stock-even/

Buzz
05-13-2019, 06:34 PM
I think we've seen what Bud is by now. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't expect to see a lot of improvement out of him going forward. I think we could've/should've tried for someone better at his position.

Steel Maniac
05-13-2019, 06:36 PM
I think we've seen what Bud is by now. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't expect to see a lot of improvement out of him going forward. I think we could've/should've tried for someone better at his position.

I agree; but Colbert will ride or die with him to the end like he did JJ.

Buzz
05-13-2019, 06:47 PM
I agree; but Colbert will ride or die with him to the end like he did JJ.

At least he didn't pick up the option on JJ.

hawaiiansteel
05-16-2019, 04:31 PM
Tim Benz: Does the Steelers’ pass-rush production match its reputation?

TIM BENZ | Thursday, May 16, 2019

Is Bud Dupree better than we make him out to be? Is the Steelers’ pass-rush as good as its sack numbers indicate? Is the Steelers’ offensive line pass-protection as good as we say it is?

Based on some numbers compiled by ESPN’s Next Gen player-tracking stats those answers are:

• Probably

• Almost

• No

If you’re like me and you hear a statistical deep-dive interview, you tend to embrace the numbers being discussed if they support your preconceived notion. You dismiss them if they don’t.

So, my guess is there was a real mixed-bag reaction from Steeler Nation the interview I did with Brian Burke. He’s one of the analytics writers and analysts at ESPN.com. And he’s very familiar with the NFL player-tracking data through Next Gen Stats.

One of the studies he did recently was to measure the consistency of NFL pass-protection vs. pass-rush. Generally speaking, the data reveals that week-to-week and team-to-team, offensive-line pass-blocking is far more consistent, and pass-rushing is much more of a variable.

“Pass-rush is much about who you are playing against,” Burke told me this week. “Pass-blocking, there is more of an initiative there.

“Pass-blocking is more determinative of game outcome than pass-rush skill.”

In other words, on a scale of 1-10, if your team’s offensive line is a perfectly average 5, its pass-blocking is going to be average just about every week. Meanwhile, your pass-rush is just as likely to be an 8 or a 9 as it is to be a 1 or a 2 based on how good the opposing offensive line is.

That’s not necessarily a stunning finding. That seems about right. But it does kind of solve a classic chicken-or-egg argument from a football perspective, doesn’t it? “Is their pass-rush good? Or is our pass-blocking bad?”

Well, based on that research, it is probably your leaky O-line, coach.

How did that research correlate to the Steelers? The results were interesting.

The Steelers tied with Kansas City for the league lead in sacks last year with 52. The Steelers led the league with 56 in 2017, too. And those who like to prop up the Steelers’ defense love to point to that number.

Those who are critics, like yours truly, like to point out that the sack totals for the Steelers had a tendency to be boom or bust.

In 2018, 22 of those sacks came over four games against the Browns (season opener), Bengals (season finale), Panthers and Falcons.

All of those clubs were non-playoff teams. The Browns were a mess to start the year, and the Bengals were eliminated by Week 17. The Panthers and Falcons were dealing with injuries along the offensive line the weeks they played at Heinz Field.

But, as Burke points out, pass-rush efficiency isn’t just about sacks. It’s about pressuring the quarterback. That’s something the Next Gen Stats base off a 2.5-second clock. That’s the average time for a quarterback to release a pass based on the player tracking findings.

Not counting screen plays, if the pass-rusher beats a block within 2.5 seconds, he wins the down. If the pass-protector holds his block for 2.5 seconds or more, he wins the down.

Using that metric, Burke says, the Steelers ranked sixth in the NFL. Not the best pass-rush in the league. But still very good.

Burke claims the Next Gen Stats put the average win rate for individual pass-rushers at 20%. In terms of how those numbers wash out for Steelers pass-rushers individually, it’s probably better than you’d expect for Dupree. He’s a frequent whipping boy for frustrated Steelers fans who don’t think he gets to the quarterback enough, netting just 4.5 sacks last year.

“He shows up at above average at 25%,” Burke said. “(Stephon) Tuitt and (T.J). Watt stand out. They are up around 30% each. The highest are over 40%. (Cameron) Heyward is closer to average, 21%.”

Based on anecdotal reaction from most Steelers fans, you’re probably saying: “Sounds right on Tuitt and Watt. But Cam is too low, and Bud is too high.”

That’s where preconceived bias can come into play when absorbing numbers like these.

However, Burke also talked about “sacks created.” That’s where a defensive lineman gets credit for a sack if he finishes it himself, or forces the initial pressure that results in a teammate getting a sack.

This is where Heyward stands out with 9, falling behind only Watt (14) on the team. Javon Hargrave pops up in third (7) followed by Tuitt (6.5) and Dupree (4.5).

Maybe that’s evidence that the whole left-right outside linebacker switch of 2018 was more beneficial for Watt than Dupree after all.

Interestingly, the highly touted Steelers offensive line graded out more toward the middle of the pack than what you might expect in terms of pass-blocking.

https://triblive.com/sports/tim-benz-does-the-steelers-pass-rush-production-match-its-reputation/

hawaiiansteel
05-30-2019, 10:04 AM
Dunlap: Bud Dupree Is Allegedly Good

COLIN DUNLAP
MAY 30, 2019 - 7:01 AM

Apparently Bud Dupree is good.

That's what I keep hearing. His outside-backer mate T.J. Watt said it on Wednesday. Watt couldn't have heaped more praise at OTAs. He spoke as if it was common knowledge just how good Dupree has been.

Kevin Colbert said it in the offseason. Man, does he always have Bud's back or what? The GM glowed about Alvin.

Mike Tomlin has complimented Dupree multiple times. He does it time and time again.

Keith Butler sings his praises whenever he gets the chance, too.

It seems a common theme; it appears like there is a ton of talk --- but am I missing something on the action? Heck, I can't figure it out.

When I look at the stats, I see 20 sacks in 54 career games for a guy who was taken in the first round in the 2015 Draft out of Kentucky. A guy who we were told could dominate games with his speed; who had a mixture of size and speed where he could quickly get around end or roar powerfully through a potential roadblock and absolutely devastate the quarterback.

We have, to be fair, only seen it a few times.

And as Dupree had his fifth-year option picked up by the franchise, he is truly faced with a make-or-break season.

All this talk --- again the latest by Watt on Wednesday --- forces me to wonder again: Are we missing something about Dupree? Is he actually good and impacting games? What's the truth in all of this?

Perhaps it is in the middle. Maybe he's that player who hasn't been as bad as the fans have rattled about but not been as good as his team will have you believe.

Or is this just a concerted effort by many in the Steelers organization to talk Dupree up even as they know he isn't performing at a level that matches their words? Maybe to try to motivate him? Maybe to try to reassure him? Maybe to try to (finally) get a really good campaign out of him as he has averaged five sacks per season?

I can't read it, to be honest. I don't know what to think in all of the words.

I know what I see, however. I see the action. And to this point the action --- in my estimation --- hasn't been good enough. Dupree can change all that with a good 2019. If he wants to remain a Steeler beyond this season, the truth should be that he had better have a very good 2019 to earn that chance.

https://937thefan.radio.com/articles/dunlap-bud-dupree-allegedly-good

Captain Lemming
05-30-2019, 10:35 AM
I've been frustrated with Dupree like most. But-
Reading this kind of got me thinking, the dude does seem to get frustratingly close to getting sacks frequently.

Should he get more credit for that pressure?

Northern_Blitz
05-30-2019, 10:45 AM
At least he didn't pick up the option on JJ.

This. He dropped JJ at the earliest reasonable point for an early pick IMO.

RuthlessBurgher
05-30-2019, 10:47 AM
Steeler fans always seem to play favorites.

While certain players seem to be nearly universally loved (Juju is awesome!, T.J. Watt is the man!, etc.) others seem to consistently fall at the opposite end of the spectrum (guys like Bud Dupree, Vince Williams, Sean Davis. etc. seem to endure a constant loop of fans' wrath and disdain). There doesn't seem to be much of a middle ground or grey area here.

Not everyone is going to be a dynamic playmaker on the highlight reels, but everyone plays their role.

The more bitching & moaning I hear about certain guys, the more supportive I tend to be with regard to these solid but not necessarily spectacular role player types.

RuthlessBurgher
05-30-2019, 11:14 AM
T.J. Watt looking for more splash this year

Posted by Josh Alper on May 30, 2019, 6:41 AM EDT

Steelers linebacker T.J. Watt switched from the right side of the defense to the left side last season and saw his sack total rise from seven as a rookie to 13 in 2018.

Watt also saw a rise in quarterback hits and forced fumbles, but he feels he could have done even more. Watt said this week that his goal for the coming season is to make an even bigger impression on opposing offenses.

“More splash. More plays,” Watt said, via the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “I think I left a lot of plays out there. I feel like I definitely got into a rhythm toward the end of the season and got more comfortable in all aspects of the game, not just the pass rush.”

Watt said he feels “way more comfortable” on the left side now that he has a year under his belt and that he has “more moves” at his disposal than he did a year ago. Given how productive he’s been thus far in his NFL career, that bodes well for the defense in Pittsburgh.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/30/t-j-watt-looking-for-more-splash-this-year/

RuthlessBurgher
05-30-2019, 11:23 AM
Wednesday, May 29, 2019 03:09 PM

Watt ready for leadership role

Teresa Varley

Steelers.com

After OTAs on Wednesday T.J. Watt talked about the role he wants to embrace this year, a role of a leader. In his third season he has been in the system long enough to understand what it takes and be someone younger players can go to for advice, while veterans respect him enough to listen and follow his lead.

But before he ever talked about it, he showed he already is a leader.

Despite the blazing heat and bright sunshine that gave no mercy, Watt gathered his fellow outside linebackers and stayed out on the field working together for a few more minutes after the OTA session ended. Not with the coaches, just the linebackers working to get better.

It was the perfect example of while Watt is hoping to develop into a leader, he actually is already there.

“Just trying to build that leadership role and be a guy the younger guys can look up to,” said Watt. “Be a tone setter for the defense and the whole team. This time of year is really big. My rookie year I was really big on staying quiet and just working. My second year trying to prove myself, and I feel like I still haven’t fully proven myself. I feel like through what I have done around here, everyone sees the work I do and I can get in a leadership role and have a voice on this defense.”

And for him, it’s not about that voice being a loud, boisterous one. Leadership is about many things, and he understands with the array of personalities on the team you have to be able to adapt.

“The biggest thing about being a leader is knowing who you are talking to at all times,” said Watt. “Different guys take leadership differently. Being a guy that works hard, showing through example, then talking when the time is right. Not trying to over coach and be somebody I am not.”

His love for what he does on the field, for the game, is something in itself that is contagious with other players. They see his passion, his desire to win, and they can’t help but want to follow right along.

“I think the No. 1 thing that separates me from other people is I love doing this,” said Watt. “There is no just talking. It’s doing the work. I actually love what I do. I put my heart and soul into it. Football is always on my mind.

“I am trying to be the best that I can be, be the best teammate, make as many plays. All of that stuff starts here.”

Taking on the leadership role this year is a lot easier too because he is now settled in his role on the field. Last year during OTAs Watt and Bud Dupree swapped sides at outside linebacker, Watt moving to the left side, Dupree to the right. It took some time for both of them to get comfortable in their new spots, but after a full calendar year of working on it they have settled in.

“I am way more comfortable on the left side and this is my first true year on the left side,” said Watt. “I feel like I will have more moves for you to see this year. Hopefully create more splash and run downs. I feel like I can improve on run defense.

“It took time to knock the rust off. We had the offseason to train. I think we will be in store for a treat. More splash. More plays. I left a lot of plays out there. I got into a rhythm at the end of the season and felt more comfortable in all aspects of the game.

“My game is evolving and so am I as a leader. You have to realize who you are in the moment. This year will hopefully be more of a leadership role and take more chances and hopefully create some splash for the defense.”

https://www.steelers.com/news/watt-ready-for-leadership-role

pittpete
05-30-2019, 11:31 AM
If Bud wasnt a 1st round pick i dont think we would be as critical as we are.

RuthlessBurgher
05-30-2019, 11:49 AM
If Bud wasnt a 1st round pick i dont think we would be as critical as we are.

Folks are extremely critical of Vince Williams, and he was a 6th round pick.

Steel Maniac
05-30-2019, 01:51 PM
I've been frustrated with Dupree like most. But-
Reading this kind of got me thinking, the dude does seem to get frustratingly close to getting sacks frequently.

Should he get more credit for that pressure?

There is something to be said for pressure. But you look at the guy and you think ,” this guy looks phenomenal (physically)he should be getting 9-10 sacks.” He looks and is the part from the neck down.

hawaiiansteel
05-30-2019, 04:11 PM
Steelers OLBs Watt, Dupree Looking To Create More Splash, Finish More Plays In 2019

By Dave Bryan
Posted on May 30, 2019

Pittsburgh Steelers outside linebackers T.J. Watt and Bud Dupree registered a combined 18.5 sacks last season with the former being credited for 13 of those, which was a team-high. Watt, who is now in his third season in the NFL, really seems to be at home now in the Steelers defense and ready to take yet another big step in his development during the 2019 regular season. After Wednesday’s OTA practice, the team’s fifth of the offseason, Watt talked about what he believes is the next step for him this coming season and what his goals are.

“More splash, more plays,” Watt said, according to steelers.com. “I think I left a lot of plays out there [on the field]. And I feel like I definitely got into a rhythm towards the end of the season and felt more comfortable in all aspects of the game. Not just like pass rush, run defense stuff, but also just try to build that leadership role and try to be a guy that some of the younger guys can look up to and just be a tone setter in general for the defense and the whole team.”

On the heels of that answer, Watt was asked what it is he feels he improved most on from his first to second season and what specific areas of his game he hopes to improve in 2019, his third season in the NFL.

“Pass rush, Watt said. “I mean, I am way more comfortable on the left side, first of all, and this is my first true year on the left side after a year under my belt. So, I feel like I’ll have a lot more moves for all you guys to see this year, hopefully. And hopefully just create more splash in run downs, too. I feel like I can definitely improve on run defense, always.”

Last season, Watt was credited with 40 total run tackles and only inside linebacker Vince Williams registered more. In fact, Pro Football Focus graded out Watt’s 2018 play against the run at 83.3, and only defensive end Stephon Tuitt graded out better for the Steelers.

As far as Watt’s pass rushing ability goes and possible improvement in that area in 2019, he’ll obviously need to work more on varying up his moves on counters. He was asked on Wednesday if he feels it’s more important for him to have a signature move or better to have a whole array of non-signature ones.

“I mean, everyone’s different,” Watt said. “Some guys have signature moves, some guys have a whole bunch of moves. I think it just depends on who you are and what moves are hitting at certain times. And if it’s your signature move and it’s not working, you gotta be able to have the strength to not use it all the time.”

As for Dupree, who will once again be expected to play opposite Watt on the right side of the Steelers defense in 2019 after making the switch from the left side a year ago, a lot more will be expected out of him this upcoming season after having his fifth-year option worth just over $9 million picked up by the Steelers last offseason. While Dupree only registered 5.5 sacks last season, he feels that number could have easily been a lot higher had he just finished more plays.

“I had a big opportunity last year to be in the conversation and I didn’t close the plays,” Dupree said Wednesday, according to Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “I’m always in position. The plays are always there; it’s on me to finish those plays and easily have double-digit sacks. I’m trying to go out and reboot and finish those plays this season.”

Dupree went on to name several instances to Dulac of him failing to get sacks last year.

“I had four holding calls [against me] that would have been clear strip sacks,” Dupree recalled to Dulac per his report. “I also missed two or three [sacks] where I had my hands on the quarterback. So, total that up, that’s seven with the six I had, that’s easily double digits right there.”

Watt also talked Wednesday about the art of the strip sack and the ultimate recovery of the football as the Steelers defense was able to get the football out of the hands of opposing quarterbacks quite a fwew times last season only to have said opposing offense ultimately recover the football most of the time.

“Yeah, I think the strip sack is definitely something that I always focus on,” Watt said. “I think just being aware of where the quarterback’s holding the ball. I’m a front side pass rusher when it’s a right hand quarterback so a lot of times they have the ball in tight. Just always having your eye on the football. And then, obviously, the football’s a weird shape. When it’s on the ground, it’s definitely hard to get to. I mean, we’re trying to get the ball, it’s sometimes it just doesn’t bounce your way.”

Watt also said during his Wednesday media session that he and Dupree are both pushing each other hard this offseason and especially during certain drills in practice.

“Yeah, I think we both understand that we’re really good athletes at that we both look up to each other,” Watt said. “And it’s good to have that kind of star power when I go up against Bud because Bud as a heck of an athlete and he can do some things that I can’t do and I can do some things that he can’t do. So, we’re definitely always pushing each other in every aspect of the game.”

Watt was then immediately asked to name the things that Dupree does better than he does.

“Have you seen Bud’s legs? I mean, you’ve seen my legs, Bud’s legs are like tree trunks,” Watt said. “He can accelerate so fast. His power is there and he can drop in coverage and just cover so much ground in like one or two steps. It’s like Giannis [Antetokounmpo] in basketball. It’s crazy.”

What will be real crazy for the Steelers, and in a good way, is if Watt and Dupree can both achieve double-digit sacks in 2019. The last time the Steelers had two defensive players register double-digit sacks in a regular season was in 2010 when outside linebacker James Harrison and LaMarr Woddley accomplished the feat with 10.5 and 10 sacks, respectively. The Steelers also went to the Super Bowl that season.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/steelers-olbs-watt-dupree-looking-to-create-more-splash-finish-more-plays-in-2019/

Steel Maniac
05-30-2019, 04:13 PM
Enough talk; we want some sacks.

RuthlessBurgher
05-30-2019, 06:05 PM
Enough talk; we want some sacks.

Quit running your mouth, Bud, until you can find a way to get some more sacks in all of those NFL games played in May.

hawaiiansteel
05-30-2019, 11:19 PM
Can Bud Dupree's production match his price tag? Peter Diana/Post-Gazette

GERRY DULAC
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
MAY 30, 2019

The Steelers have a lot of faith and money invested that Bud Dupree can become the type of outside linebacker worthy of a $9.2 million price tag. And so does Bud Dupree.

Only two Steelers players — Ben Roethlisberger and cornerback Joe Haden — will earn more money in 2019 than Dupree. Only five will have a bigger salary cap hit. Around the NFL, only 18 edge rushers have a bigger cap number than Dupree this season.

That’s a lot of coin for a player who has never had more than six sacks in a season and has just 20 in 54 NFL games. But that didn’t stop the Steelers from picking up the fifth-year option on Dupree’s rookie contract that carried a mandated $9.2 million salary.

And Dupree wants to show he is worth it.

“I’m ready to get it on and close out the plays I have,” said Dupree, a No. 1 draft choice and 22nd overall selection in 2015.

Coach Mike Tomlin, general manager Kevin Colbert and defensive coordinator Keith Butler have all been publicly effusive in their belief that Dupree’s best days are ahead of him. Certainly, at 6-foot-4, 269 pounds, he has the size and athleticism to be a dominant player.

But that hasn’t always been the case. The Steelers moved Dupree to the right side of their defense last season, hoping his wide rushes would be more effective coming from the blind side of opposing quarterbacks. While the switch benefited T.J. Watt, who made the Pro Bowl after ranking near the top of the league with 13 sacks and six forced fumbles, Dupree finished with 5½ sacks and one forced fumble.

“I had a big opportunity last year to be in the conversation and I didn’t close the plays,” Dupree said. “I’m always in position. The plays are always there; it’s on me to finish those plays and easily have double-digit sacks. I’m trying to go out and reboot and finish those plays this season.”

To emphasize his point, Dupree added: “I had four holding calls [against me] that would have been clear strip sacks. I also missed two or three [sacks] where I had my hands on the quarterback. So, total that up, that’s seven with the six I had, that’s easily double digits right there. And the conversation would be different.”

In a year where the Steelers are eating Antonio Brown’s $21.1 million cap hit and Roethlisberger’s new deal will count $26.2 million, re-doing Dupree’s would seem to be a logical financial move. After all, he might look more attractive, say, at $5.5 million this year than $9.2 million.

What’s more, if the Steelers like Dupree as much as they say, why not extend his contract beyond this season and lessen his cap hit? That could still happen, and, if it did, it likely wouldn’t be until the Steelers go to training camp in late July.

If not, Dupree will have to use the 2019 season to show he is worth at least the money he will earn this year — if not for the Steelers, for another NFL team in the free agent market that cherishes edge rushers. So far, the production hasn’t matched the payout.

But Dupree thinks he is close.

“It’s real frustrating, but just keep the faith and everything will work out,” Dupree said about his missed sack opportunities. “I’m excited. It’s a big year.”

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2019/05/30/Bud-Dupree-knows-he-needs-to-be-better-The-Steelers-know-it-too/stories/201905290116

Steel Maniac
05-30-2019, 11:30 PM
Gonna be a lot of jettisoned deadweight from this team after this season. I expect Dupree to be apart of that.

hawaiiansteel
05-31-2019, 01:43 AM
Adeniyi’s Says Offseason Was Used To Work On Dropping, Developing Pass Rushing Arsenal

By Dave Bryan
Posted on May 30, 2019

Pittsburgh Steelers outside linebacker Olasunkanmi Adeniyi was able to intercept backup quarterback Joshua Dobbs during the team’s Thursday OTA practice as a result of him doing something he wasn’t asked to do much at all during his college career at Toledo. That something was dropping into coverage.

“No, not at all,” Adeniyi said after Thursday’s practice when asked if was asked to drop into coverage much at Toledo. “I probably dropped to the flats maybe once or twice my junior year since I declared early. But you know, definitely this offseason it’s what I also was trying to work on that aspect of my game because I never really did that in college. And last year, I didn’t really have the opportunity to do that. So, you know, I tried to work on that this offseason as well.”

While Adeniyi probably was pretty excited to intercept a pass during Thursday’s OTA practice, if forced to choose between that and a sack, he made it clear he’d choose the latter of the two.

“I would rather have a sack because you get hyped up with the d-line,” Adeniyi said. “You know, it all works together, but you know, you get paid as an edge-rusher to get sacks, not to get picks. But I mean, if they come, they come.”

After an impressive rookie training camp and preseason, Adeniyi, who was signed as an undrafted free agent out of Toledo, was forced to start the 2018 regular season on the team’s Reserve/injured list due to a hamstring injury. Because of that, he missed a lot important practice time and didn’t find himself on the 53-man roster until early December. Once activated to the Steelers 53-man roster, Adeniyi barely played on defense.

This offseason, Adeniyi, like the rest of the Steelers outside linebackers, looked to further develop his pass rushing arsenal.

“T.J. [Watt] definitely has a lot of pass rushing skills. Just sitting back watching those guys developing, I’m trying to develop like them,” Adeniyi said. “Also, working on what I’m good at, what I’m best at and just trying to add little things here and there.”

When asked what it is that he thinks he’s best at entering his second season in the NFL, Adeniyi wasted no time giving an answer.

“I feel like I’m definitely good off the edge, you know, speed rushing,” Adeniyi said. “But I also want to add like some counters, just in case the tackle over sets and be able to come back. And just little things like that, swatting the hands, spin moves, just things like that.”

When later asked how many pass rushing moves he thinks he needs in his arsenal moving forward into his second season, Adeniyi quickly said as many as he can handle mastering.

“You can never have too many pass rush moves,” Adeniyi said. “That’s how I see it. And, you know, hopefully you can take all that into the game and just use them. Basically, if you watch film and you watch the tackle, whatever he gives you is to kind of pass rush move that you use.”

As things stand right now, Adeniyi is likely to open this year’s training camp as the No. 4 outside linebacker behind Anthony Chickillo, who was re-signed during the offseason. With Chickillo also being a better and more experienced special teams player than Adeniyi, the Toledo product really needs a solid showing as a pass rusher during training camp and the preseason to secure a spot on this year’s 53-man roster.

“I’m trying to come in here and hopefully do the same thing I did last year, earn a spot,” Adeniyi said Thursday.

While the Steelers did spend one of their later round draft picks this year on an edge-rusher in the form of undersized Northern Illinois product Sutton Smith, he’s been used as a backup fullback and outside linebacker since OTAs got under way. Regardless, Adeniyi said Thursday he didn’t pay too much attention to what the Steelers did and didn’t draft this year.

“I didn’t really look too much into that,” Adeniyi said. “At the end of the day, I’m worried about what I’m doing and my development. And the competition brings out the best in everybody.”

Will get to see if Adeniyi can pick up where he left off last preseason 10 weeks from Friday as that’s when the Steelers 2019 preseason will get underway with a home game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Assuming he’s healthy come that time, Adeniyi will likely play quite a few snaps in that first preseason contest. In the meantime, Adenyi is not afraid you use the rest of the offseason program to work on new things.

“That’s what OTAs are for,” Adeniyi said. “You know, working on something new and then hopefully whatever you learn you can take it into training camp and then work from it from there and in preseason and so on and so forth.”

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/adeniyis-says-offseason-was-used-to-work-on-dropping-developing-pass-rushing-arsenal/

Northern_Blitz
05-31-2019, 06:01 AM
Quit running your mouth, Bud, until you can find a way to get some more sacks in all of those NFL games played in May.

And getting sacks isn't our problem.

Turning those sacks into fumbles is one of our problems.

So is turning pressure into ints.

But we have more sacks than any team in the league since Butler took over as DC. I think that's why they didn't fire him. His mandate was "get sacks" and that's what he did...maybe to the exclusion of all else.

hawaiiansteel
05-31-2019, 12:25 PM
https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/61536752_10157538981024905_50443141056036864_n.jpg ?_nc_cat=111&_nc_oc=AQnwrUtFKzcfyZsYM1fNQemWwzKKmq3FvzoyD6GPAxV J_1OhbQaVzLAUSt_YRpw-9ByNYOzSCM0011RTHW2Avyyo&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=3e04e1f4db7e9c10724ec51e788b79c8&oe=5D573350

flippy
05-31-2019, 03:34 PM
Seeing a thread about Bud kinda drives me nuts.

It's a reminder that we should always draft productive football players in the first round and save these boom or bust picks for Day 2 and 3.

Bud is an athletic freak. But he had a lot of the same issues in college where he just didn't finish plays. The thing that's most frustrating is he's got to be the guy with the most physical gifts with the least production. And I think he'll keep teasing the team with potential. As a small example, I don't think there's a player in the history of the game that gets a better jump off the snap than Bud. If you watch him get off on the snap, there's no reason he shouldn't be a 20+ sack guy. But for whatever reason, I feel like one of us could be blocking against him and he'd run right by us and 10 yards past the QB.

Okay, he'd murder us - literally - he's a freaking beast, but it makes no sense why he doesn't produce. The only consistency about him is he's always inconsistent and gets so very little out of such elite physical traits.

hawaiiansteel
06-01-2019, 05:10 PM
why we all love Bud Dupree so much:

https://static.clubs.nfl.com/image/private/t_photo_album/f_auto/steelers/hedx6h99qliljnrevtly.jpg

Steel Maniac
06-01-2019, 08:06 PM
why we all love Bud Dupree so much:

https://static.clubs.nfl.com/image/private/t_photo_album/f_auto/steelers/hedx6h99qliljnrevtly.jpg

Good ole Bud...... I see something never change. :-) He's already in mid-season form.

RuthlessBurgher
06-03-2019, 10:50 AM
Bud Dupree: The plays are there, I have to finish

Posted by Josh Alper on June 2, 2019, 7:48 AM EDT

The Steelers made the decision to exercise their option on linebacker Bud Dupree‘s contract for the 2019 season and they didn’t back out of it this offseason despite production that some might find short of being worth a $9.2 million salary.

Dupree had 5.5 sacks last season and has 20 sacks over his first four NFL campaigns. He said last week that he believes those numbers can go up if he can just do a better job of finishing when chances come his way.

“I had a big opportunity last year to be in the conversation and I didn’t close the plays,” Dupree said, via the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “I’m always in position. The plays are always there; it’s on me to finish those plays and easily have double-digit sacks. I’m trying to go out and reboot and finish those plays this season.”

Dupree’s comments mesh with what General Manager Kevin Colbert said in February about the team wanting to see the linebacker’s effort result in production. Should that happen, Dupree’s chances of staying in Pittsburgh beyond this season should improve.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/02/bud-dupree-the-plays-are-there-i-have-to-finish/

Disco1981
06-03-2019, 11:09 AM
Seeing a thread about Bud kinda drives me nuts.

It's a reminder that we should always draft productive football players in the first round and save these boom or bust picks for Day 2 and 3.

Bud is an athletic freak. But he had a lot of the same issues in college where he just didn't finish plays. The thing that's most frustrating is he's got to be the guy with the most physical gifts with the least production. And I think he'll keep teasing the team with potential. As a small example, I don't think there's a player in the history of the game that gets a better jump off the snap than Bud. If you watch him get off on the snap, there's no reason he shouldn't be a 20+ sack guy. But for whatever reason, I feel like one of us could be blocking against him and he'd run right by us and 10 yards past the QB.

Okay, he'd murder us - literally - he's a freaking beast, but it makes no sense why he doesn't produce. The only consistency about him is he's always inconsistent and gets so very little out of such elite physical traits.

Bud does have a nice 1st step but..." The best 1st step in the history of the game "...I think is maybe a tad of an exaggeration

flippy
06-03-2019, 12:02 PM
Bud does have a nice 1st step but..." The best 1st step in the history of the game "...I think is maybe a tad of an exaggeration

Of course it's an exaggeration, but it's also kinda not. Every snap he seems to be moving with the ball and on the verge of being offside. I don't see how it's possible for anyone to get a better jump off the snap than to just be offsides.

hawaiiansteel
06-03-2019, 03:40 PM
Optimism Surrounding OLB Position With Young Guys Adeniyi And Smith

By Matthew Marczi
Posted on June 3, 2019

The Pittsburgh Steelers had a real drought in trying to find edge rushers for the longest time, which greatly helped to contribute to an extended dry spell in terms of sack production through the bulk of the 2010s as the play of James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley began to fall off for a variety of reasons.

Since Jason Worilds in 2010, a second-round pick who only developed into a competent pass rusher by the end of his career, the Steelers failed to acquire a legitimate talent again until they struck on T.J. Watt in the first round in 2017.

And that was, of course, with two other, even higher, first-round investments in the position, with Jarvis Jones (a top-20 pick) in 2013 and Bud Dupree in 2015. Dupree remains with the team, of course, as a starter, but his sack production hovers around averaging six per season at this point, which is obviously not where the team wants it to be.

But could the Steelers’ latest additions to the position help solve the pipeline problem? There is optimism surrounding 2018 college free agent Olasunkanmi Adeniyi entering his second season, even though he only played a handful of snaps last year, and though he’s undersized, Sutton Smith, a sixth-round rookie, has quickly becoming exciting for many.

Even Tunch Ilkin got himself all excited about these two young pass rushers. He called Smith “a natural”, and of Adeniyi, he offered, “he is gonna make that next jump” while providing a sideline report for the sixth OTA session last week.

Of course, they won’t be the first young pass rushers talked up before they ever accomplish anything. Who knows, really, what the career of either one is going to turn out to look like? Already there are people pushing for Adeniyi to start, seeing him as a young James Harrison.

That might be jumping the gun a bit, but even the coaching staff and front office has talked about how excited they are to see what he can do in his second year after spending most of his rookie season on injured reserve following a promising preseason showing.

And as for Smith, he had great college tape, which is what got him drafted, and every report from rookie minicamp and OTAs about him has been very positive about how he appears as a pass rusher. But we really won’t know more until he actually goes up against a starting-caliber tackle in pads.

Still, it’s better to be optimistic than pessimistic at this time of year, and there is some room for optimism here. Frankly, that’s more than we could say for some years in the very recent past.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/optimism-surrounding-olb-position-with-young-guys-adeniyi-and-smith/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

hawaiiansteel
06-06-2019, 09:44 PM
Steelers OLB Bud Dupree: ‘This Is Going To Be The Best Year I’ve Played In The NFL’

By Dave Bryan
Posted on June 6, 2019

Well over a year ago the Pittsburgh Steelers announced that they were picking up the fifth-year option of outside linebacker Bud Dupree for the 2019 season and this past March that $9.232 million salary became fully guaranteed. With the Steelers former first-round draft pick now guaranteed to earn over $9 million in 2019, he’ll be expected to have a career year and then some. At some point following one of the Steelers 2019 OTA practices this week, Dupree promised to live up to those high expectations.

“This is going to be the best year I’ve played in the NFL,” Dupree said, according to Joe Rutter of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “For a contract season coming up, it’s going to be a big year as well.”

While Dupree registered just 5.5 sacks last season after registering 6 during the 2017, he has said more than a few times this offseason that he just missed out on having several more due to either holding calls, or near misses. In fact, he said on Thursday that he’s estimated that he got denied 6 sacks last season due to the aforementioned reasons. Much like what Steelers defensive end Stephon Tuitt said recently, Dupree indicated Thursday that he needs to finish better to secure those extra sacks.

“The plays were definitely there,” Dupree said, according to Ruttter. “I’ve just got to finish them. … Things like that happen, and I have to get over it.”

Dupree was also quoted saying something similar to that just last week as well.

“I had a big opportunity last year to be in the conversation and I didn’t close the plays,” Dupree said last week, according to Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “I’m always in position. The plays are always there; it’s on me to finish those plays and easily have double-digit sacks. I’m trying to go out and reboot and finish those plays this season.”

Upon entering the NFL as a 2015 first-round draft pick out of Kentucky, Dupree mainly played on the left side of the Steelers defense during his first three seasons in Pittsburgh. Last season, however, he was switched to the right side with fellow outside linebacker T.J. Watt flipping over to the left. Now that Dupree has one full season of rushing from the right side under his belt, he firmly believes his familiarity with doing so will pay dividends for him in 2019.

“At Kentucky, I swapped a little bit, but my go-to side was on the left,” Dupree said. “Now, if I go on the other side, it feels foreign. It’s good for both of us.”

While Dupree has still yet to master a primary pass rush move in his first four seasons in the NFL, he still has a very quick get-off, just as he did at Kentucky. Last week, in fact, Watt somewhat referenced that great get-off of Dupree’s during one of his post-practice media sessions.

“Have you seen Bud’s legs? I mean, you’ve seen my legs, Bud’s legs are like tree trunks,” Watt said. “He can accelerate so fast. His power is there and he can drop in coverage and just cover so much ground in like one or two steps. It’s like Giannis [Antetokounmpo] in basketball. It’s crazy.”

The Steelers have already been characterized as being crazy for paying Dupree over $9 million in 2019 by a large selection of the fan base and if he ultimately fails to have a career season, those characterizations will be justified. However, somewhat in the outside linebacker’s defense, he has dealt with a few injuries, some worse than others, in two of the last three seasons. He did, however play in all 16 games last season despite being on the weekly injury report three different weeks due to illness, knee or pectoral issues.

If Dupree and Watt can somehow both manage hit double-digit sack numbers in 2019, with at least a half a dozen strips of the football resulting in turnovers included in those, it would be something we haven’t seen two outside linebackers do in Pittsburgh since 2010 when James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley accomplished that feat. That season, Harrison had 10.5 sacks and Woodley had 10 and the two also forced 9 total fumbles that season with several coming via sacks. And, oh yeah, the Steelers also went to the Super Bowl that season.

A double-digit sack season in 2019 for Dupree would also force the Steelers to make another tough decision next offseason as they would need to decide if they want to franchise or transition their former first-round draft pick to prevent him from hitting free agency. Keep your fingers crossed that Dupree follows through with his career-year promise as him doing so will help all parties involved. Here’s to a 2019 season with a lot less misses for Dupree.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/steelers-olb-bud-dupree-this-is-going-to-be-the-best-year-ive-played-in-the-nfl/

hawaiiansteel
06-08-2019, 02:14 AM
Contextualization Of Bud Dupree’s Claimed Missed Sacks In 2018

By Dave Bryan
Posted on June 7, 2019

Pittsburgh Steelers outside linebacker Bud Dupree has stated quite a few times during this year’s OTA practices that he believes he would have had a higher sack total last season had he not been held on a few plays and just missed taking down the opposing quarterback on a few other play. In fact, Dupree added specifics to that claim.

According to a Thursday report by Joe Rutter of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Dupree has estimated that he was denied six sacks last season with four being prevented by holding calls that his pass rush initiated in addition to two near misses he had in games against the Carolina Panthers and Cincinnati Bengals.

Dupree was even quoted saying nearly the same thing a few weeks ago by Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

“I had four holding calls [against me] that would have been clear strip sacks,” Dupree said. “I also missed two or three [sacks] where I had my hands on the quarterback. So, total that up, that’s seven with the six I had, that’s easily double digits right there. And the conversation would be different.”

I thought it would be fun to go back and try to find the missed sack plays that Dupree referenced during OTAs based on the information he provided. While I was only able to find three of the four holding calls against Dupree, I think I was able to find both near misses.

Below are the five plays that I found that matched Dupree’s explanation and they are in order:

Week 8 vs Browns: 2-9-CLV 5 – 3Q (8:13) – B.Mayfield pass short left to N.Chubb to CLV 6 for 1 yard (V.Williams). PENALTY on CLV-D.Harrison, Offensive Holding, 5 yards, enforced in End Zone, SAFETY – No Play.

Against the Cleveland Browns in Week 8, Dupree beat left tackle Desmond Harrison around the edge on 2nd and 9 play from the Cleveland 5 yard-line and he was held in the end zone while bearing down on quarterback Baker Mayfield. Not only did this draw a flag, but the Steelers were award a safety because the hold took place in the end zone. This is indeed a play were Dupree was shorted a sack via a hold.

Week 9 vs Ravens: 3-12-BLT 39 – 2Q – (Shotgun) J.Flacco pass short middle to J.Allen to BLT 41 for 2 yards (S.Davis) [S.Tuitt]. Penalty on BLT-J.Eluemunor, Offensive Holding, declined

Against the Baltimore Ravens in Week 9, Dupree once again a drew a holding call on a left tackle and that hold clearly prevented him getting a sack. The Steelers ultimately decided to decline the holding penalty because the result of the play, a completed pass from quarterback Joe Flacco to running back Javorius Allen for a gain of 2 yards, was well short of the line to make.

Week 10 vs Panthers: 2-9-CAR 26 – 1Q (9:19) – C.Newton pass incomplete short left. Pressure by 48-Dupree, 79-Hargrave

In the Steelers Week 10 blowout win against the Panthers, Dupree missed out on yet another sack and this one was on him. After beating the left tackle around the edge at the snap of the football, Dupree quickly flattens out and has a nice angle on Panthers quarterback Cam Newton for what looks like is sure to be a sack. Newton, however, is able to take a last-second step forward and Dupree’s high tackle attempt on the quarterback results in an easy slip off. after dodging Dupree, Newton slides out of the pocket to his left and is ultimately able to throw the football away out of bounds.

Week 12 vs Broncos: 3-8-DEN 27 – 3Q (9:50) – (Shotgun) C.Keenum pass incomplete short right to E.Sanders (M.Burnett, M.Hilton). Penalty on DEN-J.Veldheer, Offensive Holding, declined.

Against the Denver Broncos in week 12, Dupree missed out on getting yet another sack due to him being held and dragged down by a left tackle. Once again, this held was needed due to Dupree winning the edge with his get-off and speed. The hold allowed Broncos quarterback Case Keenum a chance to extend the play to his right but his 3rd down throw ultimately was incomplete, so the Steelers decided to decline the penalty to force a punt.

Week 17 vs Bengals: 2-8-CIN 36 – 1Q (3:00) – (Shotgun) J.Driskel pass incomplete short left [C.Sutton]. Pressure by 20-Sutton, 48-Dupree.

On this 2nd down play against the first quarter of the Bengals, Dupree seemingly has more of a contain role as he barely engages the Cincinnati left tackle. Once Bengals quarterback Jeff Driskel is forced from the pocket by the defensive lineman Cameron Heyward and cornerback Cameron Sutton, Dupree attempts to get the scrambler before he’s able to get rid of the football, Dupree and Sutton are just a tad late, however, as Driskel was able to throw the football away out of bounds.

Summary: The final “miss” against the Bengals can certainly be argued as Sutton probably had the better chance for the sack than Dupree did. Perhaps the two would have split a sack had they gotten to Driskel before he threw the football away. As for Dupree’s claim that he drew four holding calls last season, I could only find three. There’s a chance he was clearly held on a play that would have resulted in a sack but it wasn’t called. I will continue to look for that play. In the end, I think the examples above show that Dupree clearly missed out on at least four sacks in 2018. Those four sacks, had he gotten them, along with maybe a half sack in the finale against the Bengals, would have put him right at 10 for the season.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/contextualization-of-bud-duprees-claimed-missed-sacks-in-2018/

RuthlessBurgher
06-11-2019, 10:36 AM
'Everybody is waiting': Bud Dupree is Steelers' $9.2M bet

2:22 AM ET

Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

PITTSBURGH -- From teammates to opposing players, trainers to coaches, Bud Dupree hears the same message.

It's time for the Pittsburgh Steelers' athletic pass-rusher to maximize his potential.

"Everybody is waiting on that year to come," Dupree said. "I know and I feel this year will be the year to show the person I am and just put everything together."

That means double-digit sacks, which would be timely for Dupree in a contract year.

Dupree's 20 sacks in four seasons won't quite satisfy his first-round pedigree. But the Steelers placed a $9.2 million fifth-year option on him anyway, because he is their best option opposite T.J. Watt, and there's always a chance he breaks out.

In fact, Dupree's explosiveness is obvious enough that fellow linebacker Watt, whose 13 sacks earned him a Pro Bowl nod last season, acknowledges that Dupree can do things he can't.

"Have you seen Bud’s legs? Bud’s legs are like tree trunks. He can accelerate so fast," Watt said. "His power is there, he can drop in coverage, he can cover so much ground in one or two steps. It's like Giannis [Antetokounmpo] in basketball."

Watt, who switched to the left side last season while Dupree got chances to work the quarterback's blind side, is a technician off the line of scrimmage and knows how to finish a play, which has been Dupree's struggle.

Dupree is known for garnering pressure but failing to complete the sack.

Still, Dupree gained confidence by drawing several holding calls on would-be sacks in crucial situations. The bottom line of 5.5 sacks was modest, but he was more disruptive.

"Last year, I had double-digit sacks in the books -- we can watch the film, put it up," Dupree said. "You can see I had double-digit sacks; it’s just that I didn’t finish plays. I got held on four plays, blatant holds. Those should have been strip sacks, missed sacks, people in my arms.

"This year, I have to capitalize on it. If they hold me, I have to rip through the hold and get the sack. If I grab the quarterback, I can’t miss him. I have to finish that. Then it will be a big year, not only for me, but for the team."

Watt was the only Steeler with more than eight sacks last year. If Dupree can provide balance on the other side, rushing lanes will open for defensive ends Cam Heyward and Stephon Tuitt.

Dupree has emphasized elevating his "above-the-neck game," he said. After missed assignments and injuries during his first two years, Dupree improved in that area in 2018.

Watt is here to help him take it further.

“I think we both understand that we’re really good athletes and we both look up to each other,” Watt said. "And it’s good to have that kind of star power when I go up against Bud. Because Bud is a heck of an athlete."

Inaction might be the Steelers' best option with Dupree's contract. The $9.2 million figure sets a contractual floor the Steelers might not want to meet, given the production. The money is guaranteed, which gives Dupree leverage. But the team gave Tuitt a five-year, $60 million deal despite averaging less than four sacks per year from 2014 to 2016.

And if Dupree hits his double-digit-sack mark, retaining him could be tough.

Asked about the possibility of reaching a new deal before September, Dupree said, "You never know," but he didn't want to entertain it further. He is ready for his play to speak for him.

The Steelers won't mind that at all.

"I don’t want to talk about it because I want my biggest year to be this year," Dupree said. "I want not only for them to see that, but every other team in the league.”

https://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/30868/everybody-is-waiting-bud-dupree-is-steelers-9-2m-bet

hawaiiansteel
06-12-2019, 06:31 PM
Keith Butler On Bud Dupree: ‘I’m Not Worried About His [Sack] Production’

By Dave Bryan
Posted on June 12, 2019

In his first four seasons in the NFL with the Pittsburgh Steelers, outside linebacker Bud Dupree has registered just 20 sacks with a single-season high of 6 in 2017. That production, along with the rest of Dupree’s career defensive play, which has included him registering 132 total tackles, 2 forced fumbles and an interception, was evidently good enough for the team to allow their former first-round draft pick out of Kentucky to earn over $9 million in 2019 after picking up his fifth-year option well over a year ago. On Wednesday. Steelers defensive coordinator Keith Butler talked some about Dupree and how he has no issues with how the outside linebacker has played so far during his time in Pittsburgh.

“He’s done everything I’ve asked him to do,” Butler said, according to Ray Fittipaldo of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “Bud is all for us winning. He’s not all for Bud. He’s all for the team. That’s what I like about him.”

Butler also made it clear on Wednesday that he’s not overly concerned with the fact that Dupree has averaged just 5 sacks a season in his first four seasons in the NFL and him having just 5.5 quarterback take-downs last season.

“The last couple of years, we’ve led the league in sacks,” Butler stated, per Fittipaldo’s report. “If Bud’s not getting them, someone is getting them … as long as someone is getting them, I’m not worried about his production. I’m worried about how he plays within the framework of the defense. If he does that, then I’m fine with it.”

The last several weeks, Dupree has tried to state his case more than just a few times that he probably would have had double-digit sacks last season if not for holding calls and him failing to take down a few quarterbacks in a two other games. Him stating that numerous times even resulted in me going back and reviewing those specific plays that he listed, for whatever that was worth. Regardless of what you think about Dupree’s missed sacks claims, the fact of the matter is that if you were to adjust his numbers, you would have to do the same league-wide. In short, most view his claims as a paper-thin excuse.

Sacks aside, and if you buy into stats from last season from Pro Football Focus, Dupree’s 5.9 pass rush productivity stat that he registered in 2018 ranked him 49th overall when compared to other 74 listed edge-rushers around the NFL that had a minimum of 250 pass rushing snaps. In short, if Dupree had registered a higher percentage of quarterback hits and hurries in 2018, it would be a little easier to look past his total sack numbers.

While he has worked the last several offseasons with pass rushing guru and former NFL player Chuck Smith, Dupree’s arsenal of overall moves and counters hasn’t noticeably improved. Just as it was when he was in college, Dupree’s main pass rushing asset continues to be his great get-off and his occasional ability to beat tackles around the edge. He never has been a very good speed to power pass rusher. A lot Dupree’s career pass rushing production has also seemingly come when opposing quarterbacks aren’t afforded the opportunity to, or choose not to, step up into the pocket.

As Alex Kozora stated recently in a post, Dupree has had to deal with a few injuries the last several seasons and thus perhaps there’s a small reasons to be optimistic that the outside linebacker will have a career year in 2019 when it comes to his overall pass rush productivity, if he can play in all 16 games without as much as an ingrown fingernail. Dupree recently stated that he’ll indeed have a career season in 2019, so we’ll all have to sit back and watch to see if his proclamation is carried out.

A career year in 2019 for Dupree, and one that includes him getting closer to double-digit sacks and a much higher pass rush productivity number would obviously help all parties involved. It would also likely land him a decent free agent contract with a different team next offseason because even though Butler spoke fondly of the outside linebacker on Wednesday. it’s hard to imagine he playing in Pittsburgh in 2020.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/keith-butler-on-bud-dupree-im-not-worried-about-his-sack-production/

The Man of Steel
06-13-2019, 08:31 AM
My first prediction for the upcoming season is that Chase Winovich will be much more productive for the Patriots on opening day than Bust Dupree will be for the Steelers.

Northern_Blitz
06-13-2019, 10:12 AM
My first prediction for the upcoming season is that Chase Winovich will be much more productive for the Patriots on opening day than Bust Dupree will be for the Steelers.

Can you define productive?

Seems likely to me that Bud will have more snaps and that should lead to more tackles. Bud's clearly not the DPOY candidate he was hyped to be a few seasons ago, but he's a serviceable player. I think he should be able to beat out a 3rd round rookie in his first pro game against one of the better O-lines in the league.

Sacks in individual games are luck driven, but given our O-line and Brady's ability to get rid of the ball quickly I'd imagine that neither player gets a sack.

Steel Maniac
06-13-2019, 10:27 AM

This is hilarious. I'm going to be looking for this now in the game.

STH70
06-13-2019, 10:57 AM

Wouldn't bet on it if I were you.
I seriously doubt Winovich is a opening day starter. Dupree will be a starter barring injury.

The Man of Steel
06-13-2019, 11:53 AM
Wouldn't bet on it if I were you.
I seriously doubt Winovich is a opening day starter. Dupree will be a starter barring injury.
Winovich won’t need to start because the Patriots will use him on both offense and defense like they did with Mike Vrabel. CW will end up with more tackles in that opening game than Bum Dupree and more catches as a TE than Diontae Johnson will. Rest assured that CW will ultimately turn out to be the greatest two way player since Chuck Bednarik.

STH70
06-13-2019, 12:10 PM
Winovich won’t need to start because the Patriots will use him on both offense and defense like they did with Mike Vrabel. CW will end up with more tackles in that opening game than Bum Dupree and more catches as a TE than Diontae Johnson will. Rest assured that CW will ultimately turn out to be the greatest two way player since Chuck Bednarik.
You forgot to mention CW hitting that game-winning 66 yard field goal as time expires.
:p

Steel Maniac
06-13-2019, 12:40 PM

Bold prediction; Winovich looks like a stud and no doubt hoody is going to put him in positions to do well. Game one might be a little too soon thou.

The Man of Steel
06-13-2019, 12:42 PM
You forgot to mention CW hitting that game-winning 66 yard field goal as time expires.
:p
I can see it happening.
Drafting Diontae Johnson instead of Winovich will go down in Steelers history as a bigger blunder than when they drafted Tee Martin instead of Tom Brady or maybe even as bad as picking Senor Sack over Dan Marino.

STH70
06-13-2019, 01:19 PM
I can see it happening.
Drafting Diontae Johnson instead of Winovich will go down in Steelers history as a bigger blunder than when they drafted Tee Martin instead of Tom Brady or maybe even as bad as picking Senor Sack over Dan Marino.
The “not picking Tom Brady” mistake was made 198 times in the 2000 draft by the entire NFL. To narrow it down to Tee Martin being the mistake pick is laughable.

There’s no way to tell how great Rivera may have been. Marino was no doubt a great QB. But how many rings does he have?

So far everything I’ve read is raving about Johnson’s quickness and catching everything thrown his way.
Much too early to tell, but there’s a damn good chance Johnson will be as good or better a KR/PR and WR than CW will be a DE and TE.

You’re making mighty bold predictions for a 3rd round pick that hasn’t even gone through 1 real full practice.

Steel Maniac
06-14-2019, 01:31 AM
I can see it happening.

I like it that you were not afraid to say how you feel; if that’s what you think then it’s all good. You definitely dont have to stay with the common narrative if you choose not to.

flippy
06-14-2019, 05:57 PM
I can see it happening.

I'm all for drafting the local kid, but put me down for thinking Ola and Sutton are better OLBs than Chase. I think most are bigger on Ola, but I'm bigger on Sutton. He's freakishly quick, deceptively strong and I think he's a football player that will be one of the few that transcends his clear size limitations.

I like things about both, and think they're very different and would love to see the Steelers rotate those 2 and get a relentless pass rush from that side of the field.

Steel Maniac
06-15-2019, 02:42 PM
Sutton is intriguing. That's one of the main experiments of the coming training camp

hawaiiansteel
07-01-2019, 01:29 AM
Bud Dupree posts impressive offseason workout video; Steelers fans hope the work pays off

Bud Dupree is putting in work this offseason, but will it make a difference in his game?

By Jeff.Hartman@BnGBlitz Jun 30, 2019

The Pittsburgh Steelers made an investment in outside linebacker Bud Dupree prior to the 2019 regular season. That investment was a hefty one too as they picked up the former Kentucky linebacker’s 5th year option, costing the organization roughly $9 million dollars for his services this season.

A large contingent of fans were up in arms when the team decided to give Dupree the money, based on the fact he has yet to really live up to the expectations of a first round draft pick.

As an outside linebacker, you are gauged by one thing, and one thing only — sacks. This might not be fair considering how much the Steelers have their outside linebackers drop into coverage, but when fans point to an outside linebacker’s stats, they always reference sacks first.

In Dupree’s first four years, he has never totaled more than 6 sacks in a season (2017), and has tallied just 20 sacks throughout the same time span. For a comparison, T.J. Watt, who is entering year three, already has already totaled in two years what took Dupree four.

Not a good look for Dupree.

With his freakish size and speed there is no reason why he shouldn’t be nearing double-digit sacks every season, and with Watt now a legitimate threat on the other side he will be seeing even more one-on-one coverage than he did before.

This offseason Dupree has been putting in work, and he posted a new workout video, similar to one last year, showing him working on his craft. Take a look at the video which was posted on his verified Twitter account:

This isn’t the first time Dupree has posted an offseason workout video. Last year he showed himself doing work with Von Miller in the offseason, and as fans clamored to see if it would make a difference during the season, his 5.5 sacks in 2018 left them feeling deflated.

Will this year be different? Will Dupree’s work pay dividends in a contract year? Only time will tell, but hopefully Dupree doesn’t think the video posted will have an impact on the fan base’s impression of him as a player.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/6/30/20121851/bud-dupree-posts-impressive-offseason-workout-video-steelers-fans-hope-the-work-pays-off-sacks-nfl

Oviedo
07-01-2019, 07:58 AM
Bud Dupree posts impressive offseason workout video; Steelers fans hope the work pays off

Bud Dupree is putting in work this offseason, but will it make a difference in his game?

By Jeff.Hartman@BnGBlitz Jun 30, 2019

The Pittsburgh Steelers made an investment in outside linebacker Bud Dupree prior to the 2019 regular season. That investment was a hefty one too as they picked up the former Kentucky linebacker’s 5th year option, costing the organization roughly $9 million dollars for his services this season.

A large contingent of fans were up in arms when the team decided to give Dupree the money, based on the fact he has yet to really live up to the expectations of a first round draft pick.

As an outside linebacker, you are gauged by one thing, and one thing only — sacks. This might not be fair considering how much the Steelers have their outside linebackers drop into coverage, but when fans point to an outside linebacker’s stats, they always reference sacks first.

In Dupree’s first four years, he has never totaled more than 6 sacks in a season (2017), and has tallied just 20 sacks throughout the same time span. For a comparison, T.J. Watt, who is entering year three, already has already totaled in two years what took Dupree four.

Not a good look for Dupree.

With his freakish size and speed there is no reason why he shouldn’t be nearing double-digit sacks every season, and with Watt now a legitimate threat on the other side he will be seeing even more one-on-one coverage than he did before.

This offseason Dupree has been putting in work, and he posted a new workout video, similar to one last year, showing him working on his craft. Take a look at the video which was posted on his verified Twitter account:

This isn’t the first time Dupree has posted an offseason workout video. Last year he showed himself doing work with Von Miller in the offseason, and as fans clamored to see if it would make a difference during the season, his 5.5 sacks in 2018 left them feeling deflated.

Will this year be different? Will Dupree’s work pay dividends in a contract year? Only time will tell, but hopefully Dupree doesn’t think the video posted will have an impact on the fan base’s impression of him as a player.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/6/30/20121851/bud-dupree-posts-impressive-offseason-workout-video-steelers-fans-hope-the-work-pays-off-sacks-nfl

With our luck at the OLB position, Dupree will have 12-15 sacks and price himself out of our market.

Captain Lemming
07-01-2019, 09:52 AM
With our luck at the OLB position, Dupree will have 12-15 sacks and price himself out of our market.

I was think EXACTLY the same thing. I weirdly think 9 or 10 would be preferable.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
07-01-2019, 10:03 AM
$9M is too much for Dupree, but as the ceiling for edge rushers rose to around $23M (Mack) and $18M as a more common high end number this off-season, it is not as bad as it was when the top guys were around $12M.

Still too much for what he has done, but more palatable than it would have been prior to this year, considering there weren't many options.

hawaiiansteel
07-26-2019, 11:12 PM
Keith Butler On Dupree: ‘The Key For Us Is How Bud Does This Year’

By Matthew Marczi
Posted on July 26, 2019

It didn’t take long at all for T.J. Watt to establish himself as the top outside linebacker for the Pittsburgh Steelers. He immediately started as a rookie and recorded two sacks (and an interception) in his first game. He would go on to record seven sacks as a rookie, the most at the position, and then nearly double that last season with 13. That led the team and helped him get to the Pro Bowl.

With Watt currently nursing a tight hamstring that he experienced after completing Thursday’s conditioning test, however, the focus instead is on Bud Dupree, the other former first-round pick at the position. Heading into his fifth season, all sides know it’s a critical year for the former Wildcat. He posted five and a half sacks last season after six the year before.

Defensive coordinator Keith Butler, who is now (and once again) the position coach for the outside linebacker group, talked about Dupree after practice Friday and his position relative to the defense as a whole. “I think the key for us is how Bud does this year”, Mike Prisuta quoted him as saying, via the team’s website.

“I think he knows the defense a little bit better than he has the last four years. You get that experience and stuff like that, and then doing the little things. Once he starts doing the little things he’s going to be better”.

This is a comment that’s not going to sit well with his detractors, which appears to be the majority of Steelers fans. Even if we assume it to be true that Dupree has a better understanding of the overall defense this year, the response is going to be, why didn’t he know it earlier? Why wasn’t he doing the little things that now expect to see from him after four years in the league?

Ultimately, it doesn’t matter who thinks what about him or what he’s done in the past. It’s all about what he does this year and from this point forward. Playing under his fifth-year option, he knows that his future—where he will play, and for how much—depends on what he is able to do on the field in 2019, and he should have every motivation to blow everything he has previously done out of the water.

The team has not made significant investments at the outside linebacker position since using a first-round pick there in 2017. The most notable addition in 2018 was undrafted free agent Olasunkanmi Adeniyi, who ran with the second-team defense behind Dupree today.

They also used a sixth-round pick this year on the undersized Sutton Smith, who, as should go without saying, is more of a speed rusher than one of power. Even with Watt out, he was on the third line today, with Anthony Chickillo replacing Watt on the first team and J.T. Jones running second-team with Adeniyi.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/07/keith-butler-on-dupree-the-key-for-us-is-how-bud-does-this-year/

hawaiiansteel
07-31-2019, 03:07 PM
Can Bud Dupree 'accept the challenge'? The Steelers hope so Peter Diana/Post-Gazette

GERRY DULAC
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
JUL 30, 2019

Sparky Anderson, the Hall of Fame baseball manager, once famously exclaimed, “Just give me 25 guys on the last year of their contract, I’ll win a pennant every year.”

His point was simple: Players boost their effort and performance in the final year of a contract to increase their value and bargaining power, whether with their current team or a new one.

And so it is with Bud Dupree, the Steelers outside linebacker who is in the final year of the rookie contract he signed after being a No. 1 draft choice in 2015.

The Steelers are hoping that alone will motivate him to perform the way they expected when they made him the 22nd overall selection in the draft. They are especially hoping that will be the case after they agreed to exercise a fifth-year option that will pay Dupree, 26, a whopping $9,232,000 in 2019. Only six other NFL outside linebackers will make more this season, according to overthecap.com.

So far, there has been no immediate proof that will happen. Only hope that it might.

“He’s in a contract year,” said defensive coordinator Keith Butler, a former outside linebacker who played 10 years in the NFL. “He knows it. We told him, Mike [Tomlin] told him, I told him, everyone told him. He’s willing to accept the challenge.”

The Steelers are willing to accept whatever motivation Dupree wants to use in 2019, whether it’s to prove he deserves another contract with them or go seek a more lucrative one in free agency. They just want to see more than what they’ve witnessed in his first four years in the league.

Dupree has 20 sacks in 59 games with the Steelers, or just seven more than his outside partner, T.J. Watt, had last season. He is hoping to use the motivation of a contract year to change that.

“I just want to go out and play to the best of my ability and have my best year yet,” said Dupree, who noted he would rather have it this way than having already signed a long-term extension.

“I’m going to go out and do my thing. I’m going to help the team, not be selfish, even though it is a contract year. I can’t be selfish, so I got to make sure I’m doing stuff beneficial to the unit as a whole and keep my hair on fire and keep playing to the best of my ability, for the team, not just myself.”

The Steelers were hoping Dupree could build off his injury-limited 2016 season when he missed the first nine games on injured reserve but came back to post 4½ sacks in the final four games and a half-sack in the first playoff game. They were also hoping a move from the left side of the defense to the right in 2018 would be beneficial because it would allow Dupree to come from the quarterback’s blind side.

But because Dupree predominantly takes a wide rush, left tackles began to sit back on his speed and let the 6-foot-4, 260-pound linebacker basically run himself out of the play. Dupree finished with 5½ sacks last season but had just one in the final seven games.

“I think he’s got to be more aware in terms of situational football and what people are trying to do to him, reading what offensive tackles are doing,” Butler said. “I think sometimes he knows, but he remembers it a half-second too late. The more he plays, that will turn to reacting exactly the way he’s supposed to react and how to react.”

Dupree said he knows he has to counter his outside rush with more inside and power moves. But he said the scheme of the Steelers defense sometimes prevents him from taking an inside rush.

“My biggest thing is making the plays I have, finishing the plays,” Dupree said. “They see the progression I’m making. It’s on me now to make sure I finish that and make those big plays I need to make.”

Dupree said he expects to get double-digit sacks in 2019.

“I’m going to have a big year,” he said. “This is the year we really need it, for the unit and also for myself.”

Sparky Anderson was probably right.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2019/07/30/bud-dupree-contract-steelers-keith-butler/stories/201907300072

hawaiiansteel
08-08-2019, 04:20 PM
T.J. Watt On Bud Dupree: ‘I Think This Year Will Be The Year For Him’

By Matthew Marczi
Posted on August 8, 2019

Based at least upon reader responses, there is nothing that pains a Pittsburgh Steelers fan more than to read anything positive about fifth-year outside linebacker Bud Dupree, who must surely be among the worst human beings to ever exist.

Worse still is any allusion to the possibility that he could still be growing and developing as a player, in spite of the fact that he already has four years of NFL experience under his belt. The former first-round pick has produced an average of five sacks per season during his first four years. He did record an interception returned for a touchdown last season.

Earlier this week, as he was being activated from the Active/Physically Unable to Perform List, fellow outside linebacker T.J. Watt spoke to the media for the first time in training camp, and he was asked about Dupree and the criticism he has gotten, especially relative to his own success over the first two years of his career.

‘If you look closely, he’s there on a lot of plays. He’s just got to be able to finish the sacks”, Watt offered via The Fan of his veteran teammate, “and I think that he’s made that an emphasis this year. Bud’s got a lot of great rushes. He’s really good in the run defense, too. I think he’s right there, he’s so close, and I think this year will be the year for him”.

The intimation that ‘this will be the year’ for Dupree has been made early and often this offseason from both players and coaches. He is playing under his fifth-year option, essentially a contract year, and while there is no expectation that he is in discussions for an extension—he has said he prefers to play out the option—it is nonetheless essentially a ‘contract’ year as he prepares to hit unrestricted free agency in the spring.

Regardless of whether or not they would be able to afford to pay him in 2020, the Steelers would love nothing more than to see a dominant season from him this season, as it would be of great aid to their cause, which is to win another Super Bowl.

In the meantime, though, they are hoping to develop some young talent at the position, in a group led by second-year Olasunkanmi Adeniyi. The 2018 college free agent out of Toledo recorded three sacks, including two strip sacks, during the preseason a year ago, but spent most of his rookie season on the Reserve/Injured List.

He has picked up in the offseason right where he left off, but he is also joined by Tuzar Skipper and Sutton Smith, as well as J.T. Jones, in making some plays off the edge. Skipper in particular, who was a rookie minicamp invitee and a former Toledo teammate of Adeniyi’s.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/08/t-j-watt-on-bud-dupree-i-think-this-year-will-be-the-year-for-him/

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-08-2019, 06:10 PM
T.J. Watt On Bud Dupree: ‘I Think This Year Will Be The Year For Him’

The headline that a fellow player says "I think this will be the year for him" is further acknowledgment that he has not had his year yet. The closest he came was the partial 2016 season when he played 6 games coming off of injury and played very well. Unfortunately he did not follow that up in 2017 or afterwards.

I was one who was very vocal about not paying Bud the $9M+ franchise tag this season, however, after seeing several other edge rushers receive money close to the $20M per year range this off-season, I'm a little better with it.

hawaiiansteel
08-14-2019, 03:44 PM
PREDICTION: DUPREE TO HAVE BREAKOUT YEAR

posted by Mark Madden - Aug 14, 2019

Steelers outside ‘backer Bud Dupree will have a breakout season. Dupree will lead the team in sacks, or finish close behind T.J. Watt.

That’s a bold prediction.

Dupree has mostly underachieved during his four campaigns as a Steeler. He’s never topped six sacks in a season. He had 5.5 last year.

But Dupree will nonetheless excel in 2019.

It will be a triumph of the modern athlete.

Dupree doesn’t care about winning. He doesn’t care about “team.” He doesn't care about excelling.

But Dupree does care about money.

Dupree is in the last year of his contract. He declined a long-term extension.

Dupree is betting on himself.

Dupree has talent. He was a first-round pick. He’s shown flashes.

Now Dupree has painted himself into a corner, and will be fueled by the only thing that truly motivates the typical modern athlete: Money.

Dupree will get at least 10 sacks. Bet that.

Then, Dupree will go play somewhere else at a more inflated rate than the Steelers are willing to pay.

That’s OK. One great year before departure is better than Dupree sticking around for a string of additional disappointing seasons. The Dupree situation is perfect for the Steelers.

https://1059thex.iheart.com/featured/mark-madden/content/2019-08-14-prediction-dupree-to-have-breakout-year/

RuthlessBurgher
08-14-2019, 03:59 PM
Now Dupree has painted himself into a corner, and will be fueled by the only thing that truly motivates the typical modern athlete: Money.

Meanwhile, Madden will be fueled by the only thing that truly motivates the typical slob sportswriter: Cheeseburgers. :)

NorthCoast
08-14-2019, 04:50 PM
The thing is, if you are motivated by money then once you get it where does that leave you.

Oh wow
08-14-2019, 05:05 PM
The thing is, if you are motivated by money then once you get it where does that leave you.

Rich as hell

Disco1981
08-14-2019, 05:12 PM

Very comfortably retired

Disco1981
08-14-2019, 05:17 PM
Not a Dud fan either but,Gotta have somebody...Ola: Who knows...Chick: Meh...Couple rookies drafted but who knows...

If Dud plays well it's a win... He'll get his, We'll be a better team,And he will probably move on to $$$$$er pastures...

Then high draft pick, Maybe a 1st on OLB...And hoping a few of the young development nicely

fordfixer
08-14-2019, 08:04 PM
Rich as hell
Well there is that :D

hawaiiansteel
08-18-2019, 02:15 PM
Bust Dupree"s last night: three tackles, two sacks, three total hits on the quarterback, and one pass defensed.

we better sign him to a long-term contract asap :stirpot

fordfixer
08-18-2019, 05:22 PM
Bust Dupree"s last night: three tackles, two sacks, three total hits on the quarterback, and one pass defensed.

we better sign him to a long-term contract asap :stirpot
I’m always reminded of the commercial with the guy with the dollar on a fishing pole line, that says “oh you almost got it”. Whenever Dupree whiffs on a tackle .

NorthCoast
08-18-2019, 07:13 PM
Dupree is an enigma. You want the guy to be a playmaker, he flashes plays in a few games, gets tantalizingly close to the QB a couple times a game but alas you go home generally disappointed with what you saw.

Here's hoping he turns the corner this year...

hawaiiansteel
08-18-2019, 08:32 PM
Daniel Valente
@StatsGuyDaniel

Tuzar Skipper now has
2 Sacks
5 QB Hits
1 Fumble Recovery
in his first two preseason games.
With Ola Adeniyi injures, Skipper is taking the ball and running with it.

https://twitter.com/StatsGuyDaniel?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etwee tembed%7Ctwterm%5E1162926037623332866&ref_url=http %3A%2F%2Fwww.steelersuniverse.com%2Fforums%2Fshowt hread.php%2F30838-Quick-Hits-Chiefs-Steelers

Starlifter
08-18-2019, 09:46 PM
I certainly don't have the answer on bud, but his play last night was solid. good angles, good speed, good power - I'd say, what they have expected all these years. I don't know if one game is enough for the steelers to have confidence in him long term - but IF the money risk is low, I expect they try one more time to see if they get a return on this investment.

Oviedo
08-19-2019, 08:23 AM
I certainly don't have the answer on bud, but his play last night was solid. good angles, good speed, good power - I'd say, what they have expected all these years. I don't know if one game is enough for the steelers to have confidence in him long term - but IF the money risk is low, I expect they try one more time to see if they get a return on this investment.
I also think it was mentioned several times by the announcers that what Bud does directly benefits TJ Watt. The pressure Dupree creates forces the QB to move and Watt has benefited.

Steelhere10
08-19-2019, 10:03 AM
Bud problem is not getting to the qb, his problem is what he does once he gets there. Bud was in the top 5 in qb pressures about 10 games in. So those that are calling him a bust are only seeing what they wants to see.

flippy
08-19-2019, 10:07 AM
Bud's got the best jump off the snap in the entire league. It's after the snap that his game falls apart.

SteelerOfDeVille
08-19-2019, 11:36 AM
Here's hoping he turns the corner this year...
literally... instead of running upfield, right past the QB

Captain Lemming
08-19-2019, 12:13 PM
literally... instead of running upfield, right past the QB

You know Dat is truth. :)

Nobody can get behind a QB as fast as he can.
Cant wait for a Jets game......dude would kill "patient" Bell in the backfield every play. :)

hawaiiansteel
08-21-2019, 11:11 PM
Steelers’ Dupree looks to break out in 5th season

PITTSBURGH (AP) — Bud Dupree seemingly has the total package. A chiseled 6-foot-4 and 269-pounds, long and athletic with raw speed and explosiveness rarely amassed for an NFL edge rusher.

Dupree’s skillset has tantalized the Pittsburgh Steelers for years, even if his pass-rushing production has not.

But as he sits on 20 sacks over four NFL seasons, could it be that Dupree will have his long-awaited breakout on his way out of Pittsburgh?

Playing on a fifth-year option worth $9.23 million and scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent next spring, Dupree is showing signs he’s ready to cash in — figuratively and literally — on that seemingly limitless potential to be next in line among a litany of productive Steelers outside linebackers.

“I just see him as more of a complete rusher,” said Steelers defensive captain Cameron Hewyard, who lines up next to Dupree at right defensive end.

“And hopefully that shows in the regular season as well. We all know Bud is speed demon, but he has that physicality — now, he’s just showing it more.”

Dupree showed off some of his power pass-rush moves during the Steelers’ most preseason game, having two sacks of the Kansas City Chiefs’ Chad Henne over a three-possession span in the first half of a 17-7 Steelers win last Saturday.

Two near-misses of sacks by position mate T.J. Watt over that same 17-snap span made for such a tease of what the Steelers’ pass rush from the edge could look like that coach Mike Tomlin — somewhat uncharacteristically — gushed to the Steelers’ official media outlet during halftime of that game that ”(Dupree) and T.J. have the makings of an awesome tandem.”

Dupree agrees, albeit in more muted tones. He said that he and Watt “definitely” discuss becoming the next, say, James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley, or Greg Lloyd and Kevin Greene, “all the time.”

“We have fun with it,” Dupree said this week after the first Steelers practice back in Pittsburgh after the breaking of camp at Saint Vincent College.

“But we try to make sure we are practicing and making sure we’re watching film and combine all the (skills) that we have.”

For Watt, that hasn’t been an issue, at least insofar as sacks are concerned. He has exactly as many career sacks as Dupree, in only half of the NFL seasons.

Though Dupree reminds that his job description goes well beyond pressuring opposing quarterbacks — dropping in pass coverage, for example — that remains the primary tenet of his job as well as the one he’s seemingly most equipped for given his skillset.

Dupree laid out his strategy for tapping those god-given abilities for more sacks.

“Making sure you take (knowledge of the game) another step,” he said. “That above-the-neck game. And then just going out and executing.

“I’ve always been a fast guy my whole life, so people know I’ve got speed, people know I’ve got power,” Dupree said moments earlier. “It’s just the setups — you’ve got to have setups. Every rush is not going to be a sack. So it’s got to be a continuous setup, a first move sets up a second move, the second move set up the third move, and those first 10 rushes might set up the 11th rush for a sack. But you’ve got to make sure it’s all in your gameplan and all in your head.”

Dupree too often early in his career has relied solely on his speed and quickness to rush to the outside.

Although he many times has beaten tackles this way, it’s also commonly left him too wide of (or behind) the quarterback.

Last Saturday’s preseason game showed a new trick up the sleeve of Dupree and the Steelers. Dupree cut inside while Heyward handled the edge on Dupree’s sacks, the stunts a rarely-before seen part of Dupree’s pass-rush repertoire.

“I want to make sure he’s able to show that more,” Heyward said. “If he wants to come inside, all we’ve got to do is communicate. We’re just working on that communication a lot more; this is our second year together on the same side, so we’re looking for even better results.”

https://www.apnews.com/37606c1954164bcd931c73ca44251839