PDA

View Full Version : The Steelers had Competition to Move Up to the 10th Spot and Get Bush

ikestops85
04-29-2019, 08:24 PM
It looks like the Steelers had competition to move up and take Bush. Both the Giants and Falcons tried to get the pick. Also, it seems Denver was going to pick Bush but the Steeler offer was too good. All this according to Peter King who was in the Denver draft room. Here is the entire story:

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/04/peter-king-says-steelers-outbid-giants-to-move-up-to-10-wouldnt-give-up-2020-1st-rounder/

SteelerOfDeVille
04-30-2019, 11:07 AM
nice... now no one can say "they gave up too much" because it's what it took to get him...

Captain Lemming
04-30-2019, 11:18 AM
nice... now no one can say "they gave up too much" because it's what it took to get him...

While I like the move myself.......
Another take is that other teams wanted him but weren't as dumb as us to give up too much. :)

Certainly if the Broncos would have taken him THEY think there was greater value in what we gave them than what we got.
Just sayin.

RuthlessBurgher
04-30-2019, 11:32 AM
Denver, coming off 5-11 and 6-10 seasons in succession...they needed a greater quantity of prime picks overall. A mid-first, a mid-second, and a future 3rd is more valuable to their overall team rebuilding effort than one single potentially elite player they could have taken with their early first round pick.

On the other hand, that one top-notch talent in the middle could be the final piece that we need to bring our overall defense together.

This trade could potentially benefit both teams. They were able to get Flacco a dynamic TE prospect in Noah Fant at #20 (we know Flacco loves throwing to TE's more than anything), and they were also able to use our #52 to trade up earlier in round 2 to also get potential future Flacco replacement Drew Lock as well.

Speaking of which, how weird is it that the two horsey-based NFL teams now have QB's named Drew Lock and Drew Luck. Odd.

Captain Lemming
04-30-2019, 11:44 AM
Denver, coming off 5-11 and 6-10 seasons in succession...they needed a greater quantity of prime picks overall. A mid-first, a mid-second, and a future 3rd is more valuable to their overall team rebuilding effort than one single potentially elite player they could have taken with their early first round pick.

On the other hand, that one top-notch talent in the middle could be the final piece that we need to bring our overall defense together.

This trade could potentially benefit both teams. They were able to get Flacco a dynamic TE prospect in Noah Fant at #20 (we know Flacco loves throwing to TE's more than anything), and they were also able to use our #52 to trade up earlier in round 2 to also get potential future Flacco replacement Drew Lock as well.

Speaking of which, how weird is it that the two horsey-based NFL teams now have QB's named Drew Lock and Drew Luck. Odd.

Nice in theory. But if that were standard, nobody would keep a top 10 pick (perhaps with QB needs excepted).
I will take "great" over quantity every time. That is why teams value top picks even if they have "quantity" needs.

The fact that we won a bidding war and drafted the same dude the trading team wanted only ensures that we definitely paid way more than market value to move up.

If he is.......I know people will hate this.......the next Ray Lewis, it will be well worth it.
I am hopeful that this is the case.
Frankly, the talk of his "leadership" points to this possibility.
I hear we scouted him way in excess of typical so hopefully we know something other teams dont.

But I take no solace in knowing we had to outbid other teams to get him, because even the teams who want him, must feel (hopefully they are wrong) it cost too much to acquire him.

D Rock
04-30-2019, 11:48 AM
Based on the surprising team defense competence and immediate precipitous drop off when Shazier was lost 2 years ago, I sure hope Bush is the one missing piece

Steel Maniac
04-30-2019, 11:59 AM
Nice in theory. But if that were standard, nobody would keep a top 10 pick (perhaps with QB needs excepted).
I will take "great" over quantity every time. That is why teams value top picks even if they have "quantity" needs.

The fact that we won a bidding war and drafted the same dude the trading team wanted only ensures that we definitely paid way more than market value to move up.

If he is.......I know people will hate this.......the next Ray Lewis, it will be well worth it.
I hear we scouted him way in excess of typical so hopefully we know something other teams dont.

But I take no solace in knowing we had to outbid other teams to get him, because even the teams who want him, must feel (hopefully they are wrong) it cost too much to acquire him.

Considering we are in the same conference as the Broncos, I"m happy that they still did the deal with us. Maybe there thanking us for that victory we gave them last year. :smile:

tiproast
04-30-2019, 12:06 PM

There are three horsey-based NFL teams.

https://sportslogohistory.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/los_angeles_chargers_1960.png

AzStillers1989
04-30-2019, 12:13 PM
There are three horsey-based NFL teams.

https://sportslogohistory.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/los_angeles_chargers_1960.png

Kind of looks like a dragon.

RuthlessBurgher
04-30-2019, 12:19 PM

Maybe Philip Rivers is married to the Khaleesi.

Doesn't he have like a full baseball team worth of kids or something?

Having that many children wreaking havoc around the house at the same time is the closest thing I could imagine to being the mother of dragons.

tiproast
04-30-2019, 12:20 PM
It does.

It possibly was based on something with heraldic origins.

Mick'sTeam
04-30-2019, 12:39 PM

I'm not sure it's as simple as that. Winning a bidding war doesn't necessarily mean more than market value was given up. For instance, let's say I list my house for $350,000, which is right in line with the market. There are other factors that can impact my ultimate selling point. Two potential buyers could come in with low offers, but I may need to sell the house in order to buy my next. I may have needs, or in football terms - holes in many parts of the team, that need to be filled. Those low offers could turn in to a bidding war, leading me to finding myself debating whether I take an offer, or weigh potentially losing the offers because my perceived value of the house is not the same as theirs. Eventually I sell at $325k, below market value, but a trade off I was willing to make because of other needs/situations.

Bush's on-field performance will determine whether or not we paid too much for him, not the fact that we outbid other teams.

Shawn
04-30-2019, 02:07 PM
While I like the move myself.......
Another take is that other teams wanted him but weren't as dumb as us to give up too much. :)

Certainly if the Broncos would have taken him THEY think there was greater value in what we gave them than what we got.
Just sayin. I think it says our need was greater.

RuthlessBurgher
04-30-2019, 02:17 PM
The debate about whether or not we gave up too much will only happen if Bush doesn't work out.

If he's the player our front office envisions him being, it will all be moot. No one will care what we gave up.

No one cares what we gave up for Troy because we got a Hall of Famer.

No one cares what we gave up for Santonio because we got a Super Bowl MVP.

Hopefully no one will care what we gave up for Bush going forward due to some similar accomplishment.

Iron City Inc.
04-30-2019, 02:24 PM
In a rare year where we have extra ammo in the draft coupled with next year where we anticipate an extra comp pick allowed us to do what we don't often do. Quality over quantity for us in this decision. Filling a huge position of need plays into the factor. If Bush is a impact player, pro bowl caliber backer we're not going to care about the 2 picks we gave up.

STH70
04-30-2019, 02:31 PM
We had an extra early 3rd round pick to offset the 2nd round trade pick. And a 3rd round comp pick next year to offset the 3rd round trade pick. So factoring in these Extra picks, the trade up didn’t cost us much at all. The cost of the trade doesn’t mean as much when you’re gambling with House money. Just my opinion.

Oviedo
04-30-2019, 02:42 PM

...but we know some will take every opportunity to say they did give up too much

pittpete
04-30-2019, 02:59 PM
Which impact starter would we have drafted at #2 that says we gave up too much???

Northern_Blitz
04-30-2019, 03:35 PM
I think I would give up what we did to trade up into the top 10 every year.

An average draft probably gives you 1 to 2 good starters. Picking in the top 10 should almost guarantee a player that gives high production for a contract or three.

RuthlessBurgher
04-30-2019, 03:46 PM
I think I would give up what we did to trade up into the top 10 every year.

An average draft probably gives you 1 to 2 good starters. Picking in the top 10 should almost guarantee a player that gives high production for a contract or three.

If you give up your second and a future third every year to move up into the top 10, then you will never have any day two picks.

Just a single top 10 pick, then rounds 4, 5, 6, and 7.

This situation was unique because we had an extra early 3rd rounder this year from the AB trade, and expect to have an extra pick at the bottom of round 3 next year as a comp for Bell.

So we could make this trade and still have 3 picks on the first two days of the draft in both years.

We ended up with 1.10, 3.66, and 3.83 this year.

I'm aiming for 1.32, 2.64, and 3.97 next year. :tt2 :tt1

hawaiiansteel
04-30-2019, 04:21 PM
ILB Devin Bush — The Steelers hit a home run when they moved up 10 spots in the first round to get the Michigan linebacker and instantly repair the hole in the middle of their defense. That alone made the draft a success. Unlike last season, when the Steelers effectively did nothing to fix the biggest problem in their defense, they made sure to get one of the two players they wanted and not make the same mistake again. Bush checks every box of the type of player they have needed to replace Ryan Shazier. Grade: A+

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2019/04/29/pittsburgh-steelers-2019-nfl-draft-class-grades-analysis/stories/201904290093

Oh wow
04-30-2019, 04:56 PM
Only way we gave up too much is if he is a bust.

Northern_Blitz
05-01-2019, 05:06 AM
If you give up your second and a future third every year to move up into the top 10, then you will never have any day two picks.

Just a single top 10 pick, then rounds 4, 5, 6, and 7.

This situation was unique because we had an extra early 3rd rounder this year from the AB trade, and expect to have an extra pick at the bottom of round 3 next year as a comp for Bell.

So we could make this trade and still have 3 picks on the first two days of the draft in both years.

We ended up with 1.10, 3.66, and 3.83 this year.

I'm aiming for 1.32, 2.64, and 3.97 next year. :tt2 :tt1

I hope that we earn the 32nd pick and swindle somone so we can move up to the top 10.

That's realistic, right?

dreegking
05-01-2019, 06:43 AM
We will know by mid season if it’s a fair value that was given. Seeing as it’s one of the few top pick trades. I would say his value means he needs to be in the rookie of the year conversation or it was too much. Hopefully he’s in that conversation.

Northern_Blitz
05-01-2019, 06:52 AM
We will know by mid season if it’s a fair value that was given. Seeing as it’s one of the few top pick trades. I would say his value means he needs to be in the rookie of the year conversation or it was too much. Hopefully he’s in that conversation.

I hope we know that early.

But I also think we should remember how there were lost of posters on the Bustamalu band wagon after his first season.

RuthlessBurgher
05-01-2019, 10:11 AM

It would be great if he was in the rookie of the year conversation by the middle of this season, but if he's not there is still no need to panic or overreact.

The 3 year wait for an informed evaluation of draft pick quality tends to be a true measure.

Judging after year 1, it appeared that Artie Burns would be a quality starter for years to come and at the same point in their respective careers, the Troy Polamalu pick looked like it might just be a bust.

Judging after year 3, the ultimate evaluation was quite the opposite.

Steel Maniac
05-01-2019, 10:16 AM
I hope we know that early.

But I also think we should remember how there were lost of posters on the Bustamalu band wagon after his first season.

Never heard the "bustamalu" phrase before; cruel.

Northern_Blitz
05-01-2019, 10:42 AM

And as it turns out, stupid.

Steel Maniac
05-01-2019, 11:35 AM
And as it turns out, stupid.

Boom.................

Oh wow
05-01-2019, 11:51 AM

No. No awards need to be won for the pick to be worth it.

Our we a better defense? Do we have an ILB for the next decade?

Pretty sure Eddie Lacy was in the convo for offensive rookie of the year then he fell off a cliff.

We need longevity and solid production. We don’t need a rookie splash

Ghost
05-01-2019, 11:55 AM

Not sure where it officially started but it goes back to the days when the Pgh Tribune had a message board. It was the precursor to this place, created when that one shut down. All the 2008/09 join dates are guys/gals coming over from the Trib. By the time this place started Troy was The Man and that ridiculous moniker was just used as a joke and to see how it could be used with the current player who was thought to be a bust.

NorthCoast
05-01-2019, 12:45 PM

Too soon to say if the Steelers gave up too much. Using this logic you could say the Steelers gave up too much for Polamalu.... and we can only wish it works out the same.

pittpete
05-01-2019, 03:00 PM
No. No awards need to be won for the pick to be worth it.

Our we a better defense? Do we have an ILB for the next decade?

Pretty sure Eddie Lacy was in the convo for offensive rookie of the year then he fell off a cliff.

We need longevity and solid production. We don’t need a rookie splash

Yes,yes and yes..........

Shawn
05-04-2019, 07:04 AM
The debate about whether or not we gave up too much will only happen if Bush doesn't work out.

If he's the player our front office envisions him being, it will all be moot. No one will care what we gave up.

No one cares what we gave up for Troy because we got a Hall of Famer.

No one cares what we gave up for Santonio because we got a Super Bowl MVP.

Hopefully no one will care what we gave up for Bush going forward due to some similar accomplishment. preach it brother burgher. Truth. Bush will turn out to be very special barring injury. Our D will look different quickly with him on the field. No one will be complaining maybe as little as 6 games into the season.

RuthlessBurgher
05-04-2019, 12:46 PM
No one will be complaining maybe as little as 6 games into the season.

Don't worry, Shawn...on this board, no matter what, folks always find something to complain about. ;)