PDA

View Full Version : Seems like the major competition in Latrobe will be on the defensive side this summer

RuthlessBurgher
04-29-2019, 02:47 PM
On offense, it seems like the skill position players on our 53 man roster are almost virtually set already:

At QB, we'll keep Ben Roethlisberger, Mason Rudolph, and Josh Dobbs.
Brogan Roback is only a camp arm.

At RB, we'll keep James Conner, Jaylon Samuels, and Benny Snell (plus Rosie Nix as the FB).
Guys like Trey Edmunds, Travon McMillan, Ralph Webb, and Malik Williams will be battling for a possible practice squad position, but that's likely it.

At WR, we'll keep Juju Smith-Schuster, Donte Moncrief, James Washington, Diontae Johnson, Eli Rogers, and Ryan Switzer.
Guys like Trey Griffey, Tevin Jones, Diontae Spencer, and Ka'Raun White will be battling for a possible practice squad position, but that's likely it.

At TE, we'll keep Vance McDonald, Xavier Grimble, and Zach Gentry.
Guys like Kevin Rader and Trevor Wood will be battling for a possible practice squad position, but that's likely it.
We can keep Christian Scotland-Williamson as an extra member of our practice squad that doesn't count against the designated total number of players as a part of the European Transfer program.

At OL, we'll keep Alejandro Villenueva, Ramon Foster, Maurkice Pouncey, David DeCastro, Matt Feiler, Chuks Okorafor, and B.J. Finney. That's your starting 5 plus your 2 gameday backups at tackle and interior o-line.
Guys like Jerald Hawkins, Zach Banner, and Derwin Gray will likely be battling for spots at the end of the 53 man roster, but will most likely be gameday inactives assuming the top 7 players ahead of them are healthy entering the game.
Guys like Patrick Morris, J.C. Hassenauer, Garrett Brumfield, Fred Johnson, and R.J. Prince will be battling for a possible practice squad position, but that's likely it.

So...offense is pretty much set, unless there is some completely unforeseen surprise. The d-line looks like it might just be chalk picks for the most part as well.

At DL, we'll keep Cameron Heyward, Javon Hargrave, Stephon Tuitt, and Tyson Alualu, plus rookie Isaiah Buggs will likely man the other backup DE spot once occupied by L.T. Walton, and Dan McCullers (gulp) might just be back again for yet another go around as the backup NT if we keep 6 guys here.
Guys like Jay Hayes, Lavon Hooks, Conor Sheehy, Winston Craig, Chris Nelson, and Casey Sayles will be battling for a possible practice squad position, but that's likely it.

At LB and DB is where things get crazy competive. We usually keep maybe 9 LB and 10 DB (but could theoretically opt for 10 of each due to the competition and the fact that much of our special teams tend to come from young players at these two spots...we'd have to keep one fewer player than usual on the OL or DL to make up for it, though).

At LB, we'll keep T.J. Watt, Devin Bush, Vince Williams, Bud Dupree, Mark Barron, and Anthony Chickillo.
The remaining LB slots will likely be chosen more by who benefits Danny Smith's special teams more than their defensive prowess this year. Heavy competition between Ola Adeniyi, Tyler Matakevich, Keion Adams, Sutton Smith, and Ulysses Gilbert.
Guys like J.T. Jones, Tegray Scales, and Robert Spillane will be battling for a possible practice squad position, but that's likely it.

At DB, we'll keep Joe Haden, Steven Nelson, Terrell Edmunds, Sean Davis, Mike Hilton, and Justin Layne.
Guys like Artie Burns, Cam Sutton, Brian Allen, Marcus Allen, and Jordan Dangerfield will be battling to keep their roster spots.
I think the two AAF imports, Kam Kelly and Jack Tocho, plus UDFA S Dravon Askew-Henry have a good shot at making some noise in Latrobe and potentially knocking one of the more familiar names above off the roster.
Guys like Herb Waters, Marcelis Branch, and Alexander Myres will be battling for a possible practice squad position, but that's likely it.

So, my request to Iron City Inc. (and anyone else attending camp in Latrobe this year) is to keep your eyes peeled specifically on all of the LB and DB drills, because that would appear to be where all the real action will be this summer.

Iron City Inc.
04-29-2019, 03:22 PM
Ruthless we'll keep you posted on it you know that. Your breakdown assessment is excellent and we'll see what rookies are running with the 1's or 2's or 3's as it begins to get sorted out at St Vincent's. Alex and I don't see everything but we don't miss much either.

calmkiller
04-29-2019, 03:26 PM
What about K, P and LS? Come on man!

fordfixer
04-29-2019, 06:24 PM
What about K, P and LS? Come on man!
He can only do so much over his lunch hour, he probably wasted some of that time eating or some other foolishness. :p

hawaiiansteel
04-29-2019, 06:29 PM
He can only do so much over his lunch hour, he probably wasted some of that time eating or some other foolishness. :p

maybe if he spent less time stalking certain posters from thread to thread he would have more time. ;)

Oviedo
04-29-2019, 06:31 PM
The secondary will be fun competition to watch

I know I'll get tomatoes thrown at me but I'm not writing off Burns

fordfixer
04-29-2019, 06:40 PM
maybe if he spent less time stalking certain posters from thread to thread he would have more time. ;)
Well there is that :D

fordfixer
04-29-2019, 06:42 PM
The secondary will be fun competition to watch

I know I'll get tomatoes thrown at me but I'm not writing off Burns
I would like to see Burns finely be able to put it all together also.

RuthlessBurgher
04-29-2019, 09:22 PM

Unfortunately for my waistline, finding time to eat is not one of the problems I currently have. ;)

fordfixer
04-29-2019, 09:43 PM
Unfortunately for my waistline, finding time to eat is not one of the problems I currently have. ;)
You and me both brother :D

Mick'sTeam
04-30-2019, 08:44 AM
Is Gentry a lock to make the team? Samuels lined up at TE some in college. Is it possible Samuels serves as backup RB and 3rd TE?

flippy
04-30-2019, 09:15 AM
I do tend to agree the most unknown is LBs and DBs, but I think there's a lot of guys on O that aren't a lock at RB, WR, OL, QB.

I actually think the number of open spots on both sides is relatively close other than keeping some extra D players for ST. But I also think the biggest area of improvement will be on D and ST.

I'd also think we're still open to bringing in some FAs for some positions like TE and RB.

Steel Maniac
04-30-2019, 10:17 AM
TE, yeah. But at RB, unless there are injuries, I think we are where we're at on them.

RuthlessBurgher
04-30-2019, 10:39 AM
I do tend to agree the most unknown is LBs and DBs, but I think there's a lot of guys on O that aren't a lock at RB, WR, OL, QB.

I actually think the number of open spots on both sides is relatively close other than keeping some extra D players for ST. But I also think the biggest area of improvement will be on D and ST.

I'd also think we're still open to bringing in some FAs for some positions like TE and RB.

Additional free agent signing could certainly change things up a bit, but looking at the roster as currently constituted, it would appear that primary competition (other than OL battles for the 8th and 9th roster spots there), would undoubtedly be at LB and DB.

dreegking
05-01-2019, 07:39 AM
On offense, it seems like the skill position players on our 53 man roster are almost virtually set already:

At QB, we'll keep Ben Roethlisberger, Mason Rudolph, and Josh Dobbs.
Brogan Roback is only a camp arm.

At RB, we'll keep James Conner, Jaylon Samuels, and Benny Snell (plus Rosie Nix as the FB).
Guys like Trey Edmunds, Travon McMillan, Ralph Webb, and Malik Williams will be battling for a possible practice squad position, but that's likely it.

At WR, we'll keep Juju Smith-Schuster, Donte Moncrief, James Washington, Diontae Johnson, Eli Rogers, and Ryan Switzer.
Guys like Trey Griffey, Tevin Jones, Diontae Spencer, and Ka'Raun White will be battling for a possible practice squad position, but that's likely it.

At TE, we'll keep Vance McDonald, Xavier Grimble, and Zach Gentry.
Guys like Kevin Rader and Trevor Wood will be battling for a possible practice squad position, but that's likely it.
We can keep Christian Scotland-Williamson as an extra member of our practice squad that doesn't count against the designated total number of players as a part of the European Transfer program.

At OL, we'll keep Alejandro Villenueva, Ramon Foster, Maurkice Pouncey, David DeCastro, Matt Feiler, Chuks Okorafor, and B.J. Finney. That's your starting 5 plus your 2 gameday backups at tackle and interior o-line.
Guys like Jerald Hawkins, Zach Banner, and Derwin Gray will likely be battling for spots at the end of the 53 man roster, but will most likely be gameday inactives assuming the top 7 players ahead of them are healthy entering the game.
Guys like Patrick Morris, J.C. Hassenauer, Garrett Brumfield, Fred Johnson, and R.J. Prince will be battling for a possible practice squad position, but that's likely it.

So...offense is pretty much set, unless there is some completely unforeseen surprise. The d-line looks like it might just be chalk picks for the most part as well.

At DL, we'll keep Cameron Heyward, Javon Hargrave, Stephon Tuitt, and Tyson Alualu, plus rookie Isaiah Buggs will likely man the other backup DE spot once occupied by L.T. Walton, and Dan McCullers (gulp) might just be back again for yet another go around as the backup NT if we keep 6 guys here.
Guys like Jay Hayes, Lavon Hooks, Conor Sheehy, Winston Craig, Chris Nelson, and Casey Sayles will be battling for a possible practice squad position, but that's likely it.

At LB and DB is where things get crazy competive. We usually keep maybe 9 LB and 10 DB (but could theoretically opt for 10 of each due to the competition and the fact that much of our special teams tend to come from young players at these two spots...we'd have to keep one fewer player than usual on the OL or DL to make up for it, though).

At LB, we'll keep T.J. Watt, Devin Bush, Vince Williams, Bud Dupree, Mark Barron, and Anthony Chickillo.
The remaining LB slots will likely be chosen more by who benefits Danny Smith's special teams more than their defensive prowess this year. Heavy competition between Ola Adeniyi, Tyler Matakevich, Keion Adams, Sutton Smith, and Ulysses Gilbert.
Guys like J.T. Jones, Tegray Scales, and Robert Spillane will be battling for a possible practice squad position, but that's likely it.

At DB, we'll keep Joe Haden, Steven Nelson, Terrell Edmunds, Sean Davis, Mike Hilton, and Justin Layne.
Guys like Artie Burns, Cam Sutton, Brian Allen, Marcus Allen, and Jordan Dangerfield will be battling to keep their roster spots.
I think the two AAF imports, Kam Kelly and Jack Tocho, plus UDFA S Dravon Askew-Henry have a good shot at making some noise in Latrobe and potentially knocking one of the more familiar names above off the roster.
Guys like Herb Waters, Marcelis Branch, and Alexander Myres will be battling for a possible practice squad position, but that's likely it.

So, my request to Iron City Inc. (and anyone else attending camp in Latrobe this year) is to keep your eyes peeled specifically on all of the LB and DB drills, because that would appear to be where all the real action will be this summer.

You do not think a battle for Starting Tackle, sorting out rbs roles per down and distance, 6th and 7th offensive lineman, starting wideout, and starting first line slot is enough on O?

RuthlessBurgher
05-01-2019, 10:22 AM
You do not think a battle for Starting Tackle, sorting out rbs roles per down and distance, 6th and 7th offensive lineman, starting wideout, and starting first line slot is enough on O?

I'm talking about competition for making the final 53 man roster or not. Surely there will be intriguing battles for roles throughout the roster.

On offense, it seems as if for the vast majority of those positions, there would appear to be a clear line of demarcation between guys who should be on the final 53 and guys who will likely just be competing for practice squad roles.

Whereas on defense, particular among the LB and DB groups, there could be a lot of ways we could go. Should be very unpredictable...we could see veteran high picks cut, AAF imports or UDFA make the team, bottom of the roster guys battling it out on special teams in the preseason, who knows...

hawaiiansteel
05-01-2019, 04:53 PM
Want To Cut Tyler Matakevich? Think Again

By Alex Kozora
Posted on May 1, 2019

I know the Pittsburgh Steelers brought in three new toys for fans to get excited about: Devin Bush, Sutton Smith, and Ulysees Gilbert III. It’s fun to think about their potential, their role, how they’ll help the Steelers win. And sure, hopefully they will. For Kevin Colbert’s sake, Bush better. And I think he will.

At the same time, it’s easy to be anxious about running the current players out of the room. There’s already been tons of turnover the last nine months in that inside linebacker room. L.J. Fort went to Philadelphia. Matthew Thomas left as quickly as he came. And Jon Bostic was axed hours after the draft. Since, I’ve gotten tons of comments that Tyler Matakevich should be the next to go. Out with the old, in with the new.

Let me quote Lee Corso here. Not so fast, my friend.

I mean, sure, release Tyler Matakevich. That is, assuming you want to make the Steelers special teams worse. Maybe then you’ll have a good case to can Danny Smith.

Far as I’m concerned? Matakevich has a roster spot until someone proves they can do his job better.

And let’s make his role clear. Should this dude sniff the field defensively? No way. His style is the antithesis of the evolution of the game. Speed. Versatility. Playing outside the tackle box. There’s a reason why Colbert grabbed every linebacker who even came close to a 4.5 40. But that’s not Dirty Red’s role and well all know it. Instead, he’s an elite – yeah, I said it – special teamer. And no rookie is going to replace him without proving a similar caliber of play.

Since Matakevich was drafted in 2016, no Steeler has more special teams tackles than him. Here’s the top five and look, it ain’t even close.

Tyler Matakevich: 29
Roosevelt Nix: 17
L.J. Fort: 13
Anthony Chickillo: 12
Darrius Heyward-Bey: 10

Combined, Nix and Fort have just one more tackle than Matakevich has. But ok, you say, that’s just the Steelers. Play anyone enough and they’re bound to luck themselves into tackles. Let’s look at the top five from the entire league.

Michael Thomas: 34
Nate Ebner: 29
Tyler Matakevich: 29
Brynden Trawick: 28
Justin Bethel: 28

Three of those names, Thomas, Trawick, and Bethel have all made the Pro Bowl. Frankly, Matakevich has deserved a bid there.

Is he fast? No. Does that matter for special teams? Nope.

Think about the great special teams players of this century. Sean Morey. Clint Kriedwalt. Patrick Bailey. Roosevelt Nix. Vince Williams. Chidi “You Better Believe I’m Including Him In Every Article I Can” Iwuoma. Any of those dude burners? Nah. But you better believe they impacted the return game.

Practically, the numbers work too. Here’s how the linebacker group could look by Week One:

Outside Linebackers

TJ Watt
Bud Dupree
Anthony Chickillo
Ola Adeniyi
Sutton Smith

Inside Linebackers

Vince Williams
Mark Barron
Devin Bush
Ulysees Gilbert III
Tyler Matakevich

That’s ten total, yes a little heavy, but only by one. All it takes is for one of those 6th rounders, Smith or Gilbert, to land on the practice squad and boom, you’re at the usual nine. Isaiah Buggs is probably going to make the team but it’s hard to envision all three 6th round selections making the roster out of the gate. This isn’t a rebuilding team with loads of roster spots up for grabs.

Rosters needs strong starters. They need quality backups when injuries inevitably happen. But you also need a couple of core special teamers for roster spots 50-53. That’s what Matakevich brings. Intensity, competitiveness, and stellar production running down kicks and punts.

Cut him and your team is instantly worse. No debate about it. He should – and likely will – remain a Steeler in 2019.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/want-to-cut-tyler-matakevich-think-again/

Iron City Inc.
05-01-2019, 07:27 PM
Alex loves the underdog overachiever types. He's right though it's a job that someone will have to take from Dirt Red. One guy who could knock Red out that he did not mention is Marcus Allen. Allen is a box safety who can flat out run n hit. So he is the hybrid type with good speed who will be in the mix this summer with a year under his belt.

Steel Maniac
05-02-2019, 08:51 AM
Alex loves the underdog overachiever types. He's right though it's a job that someone will have to take from Dirt Red. One guy who could knock Red out that he did not mention is Marcus Allen. Allen is a box safety who can flat out run n hit. So he is the hybrid type with good speed who will be in the mix this summer with a year under his belt.

We need to upgrade of Big Red. We had special teams before him and we can have special teams without him.

Oh wow
05-02-2019, 10:10 AM
I think Samuel is going to get more touches and light replace Conner if his hands don’t improve.

I was really impressed with Samuels vision as a RB. He has to improve his blocking though.

I could see them splitting time 50/50.

Snell is no slouch either. Kentucky couldn’t throw at all and straight up ground and pounded it’s way throw the SEC which isn’t easy to do. Not sure what his blocking and hands are like but I look forward to the competition in camp.

Northern_Blitz
05-02-2019, 10:53 AM
We need to upgrade of Big Red. We had special teams before him and we can have special teams without him.

I'd take an upgrade of everyone on the roster.

There will be some guys on the roster who are almost pure ST guys (Big Red, Heyward-Bey, Chidi from the past). If Red's the 52nd or 53rd guy on the roster, I don't think it's terrible if he really only plays special teams (or gets snaps on D in case of emergency).

Disco1981
05-02-2019, 10:58 AM
I'd take an upgrade of everyone on the roster.

There will be some guys on the roster who are almost pure ST guys (Big Red, Heyward-Bey, Chidi from the past). If Red's the 52nd or 53rd guy on the roster, I don't think it's terrible if he really only plays special teams (or gets snaps on D in case of emergency).

I think therin lies the problem...Love the guy but he should NEVER get snaps on D, especiall now

Northern_Blitz
05-02-2019, 11:41 AM
I think therin lies the problem...Love the guy but he should NEVER get snaps on D, especiall now

I think we tend to keep 9 LBs. I bet that every year there are 2-3 that we don't want to ever get snaps on D.

LB seems like a natural place to find good ST players to me.

hawaiiansteel
05-07-2019, 10:14 PM
Marcus Allen’s Time On The Bench May Be Over

By Alex Kozora
Posted on May 7, 2019

Like any college starter turned rookie, Marcus Allen hated sitting on the bench in 2018. That patience may have finally paid off. Allen is poised to have a key role in the Pittsburgh Steelers’ defense this season. After failing to draft a safety, Mike Tomlin pointed to Allen as one of the players they anticipate having a key role in the Steelers’ sub-package defense.

A stark contrast to what he experienced as a rookie. Allen struggled to get a hat on Sunday’s and wound up playing 30 snaps. Total. 18 on defense, most of that coming in the “no smoke” loss against the Chargers, and an additional 12 on defense.

“Throughout my whole football career I’ve never had to sit the bench and wait for my opportunity,” he recently told Steelers.com’s Teresa Varley. “It was new to me. It definitely humbled me and matured me more.”

Not even during his true freshman season at Penn State did Allen sit on the bench. He played all 13 games, making seven starts, and received several accolades to All-Freshman teams. By his next season, he was their full-time starting safety. Injuries never left him on the sidelines too, missing one game in college. So sitting the way he did last year was brand new.

He took it in stride the best he can, utilizing practice as his gameday.

“I treated practice like a game. Practice for me is fun. Coach Tomlin always told me to stay ready, even if you’re not up stay ready so you don’t have to get ready.”

It’s a similar story we’ve heard from players like Josh Dobbs. When he was the #3 QB as a rookie, he routinely found receivers to throw with after practice. By the next year, Dobbs became the backup. For Allen, he’ll be in-line to log significant snaps.

Should he be Pittsburgh’s dime defender, and he’s the leader in the clubhouse, Allen may play north of 300 snaps. Last year, the team ran their 2-3-6 dime defense more than 37% of the time, most of any personnel grouping. Perhaps that gets reduced a bit after signing Mark Barron and drafting Devin Bush but even if that happens, dime will be used on 3rd and long and obvious passing situations (end of half, end of game).

The defense has struggled to find a competent dime defender since introducing it as part of their personnel groupings a few years ago. They’ve cycled through Robert Golden, William Gay, and Morgan Burnett as primary options. All three of those had short-lived roles in that spot, struggling to cover receivers and make splash plays in space.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/marcus-allens-time-on-the-bench-may-be-over/

Steel Maniac
05-07-2019, 10:24 PM
Marcus Allen’s Time On The Bench May Be Over

By Alex Kozora
Posted on May 7, 2019

Like any college starter turned rookie, Marcus Allen hated sitting on the bench in 2018. That patience may have finally paid off. Allen is poised to have a key role in the Pittsburgh Steelers’ defense this season. After failing to draft a safety, Mike Tomlin pointed to Allen as one of the players they anticipate having a key role in the Steelers’ sub-package defense.

A stark contrast to what he experienced as a rookie. Allen struggled to get a hat on Sunday’s and wound up playing 30 snaps. Total. 18 on defense, most of that coming in the “no smoke” loss against the Chargers, and an additional 12 on defense.

“Throughout my whole football career I’ve never had to sit the bench and wait for my opportunity,” he recently told Steelers.com’s Teresa Varley. “It was new to me. It definitely humbled me and matured me more.”

Not even during his true freshman season at Penn State did Allen sit on the bench. He played all 13 games, making seven starts, and received several accolades to All-Freshman teams. By his next season, he was their full-time starting safety. Injuries never left him on the sidelines too, missing one game in college. So sitting the way he did last year was brand new.

He took it in stride the best he can, utilizing practice as his gameday.

“I treated practice like a game. Practice for me is fun. Coach Tomlin always told me to stay ready, even if you’re not up stay ready so you don’t have to get ready.”

It’s a similar story we’ve heard from players like Josh Dobbs. When he was the #3 QB as a rookie, he routinely found receivers to throw with after practice. By the next year, Dobbs became the backup. For Allen, he’ll be in-line to log significant snaps.

Should he be Pittsburgh’s dime defender, and he’s the leader in the clubhouse, Allen may play north of 300 snaps. Last year, the team ran their 2-3-6 dime defense more than 37% of the time, most of any personnel grouping. Perhaps that gets reduced a bit after signing Mark Barron and drafting Devin Bush but even if that happens, dime will be used on 3rd and long and obvious passing situations (end of half, end of game).

The defense has struggled to find a competent dime defender since introducing it as part of their personnel groupings a few years ago. They’ve cycled through Robert Golden, William Gay, and Morgan Burnett as primary options. All three of those had short-lived roles in that spot, struggling to cover receivers and make splash plays in space.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/marcus-allens-time-on-the-bench-may-be-over/

Thanks Hawaiian; good story. More to watch in for in camp and preseason

hawaiiansteel
05-10-2019, 10:39 PM
Safety help: Rookie free agents Dravon Askew-Henry, P.J. Locke could stick with Steelers

BRIAN BATKO
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
MAY 10, 2019

Once he signed with the Steelers a few days after the NFL draft, it occurred to P.J. Locke III that he knew of someone who’s been here before.

“Here” being an undrafted free agent, a rookie safety, and even in the exact spot where Locke was standing Friday afternoon, the first day of Steelers rookie minicamp. Locke didn’t know former Steelers starter Ryan Clark, but he knew he wanted to pick his brain.

“I feel like, what better guy to reach out to than Ryan Clark?” Locke explained. “Because he basically did it right here, so I wanted to use him as a mentor.”

Locke reached out to Clark and the two exchanged messages about what the former Texas defensive back in Steelers rookie camp can do to stick around the South Side. Clark, now an NFL analyst for ESPN, even mentioned on Twitter how impressed he was to hear from Locke.

“I have so much respect for this kid already,” Clark wrote. “Soon as he signed we connected! He is gonna work his butt off. Trust me. Hope he is so much better than I was.”

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves, but Locke and fellow undrafted signee Dravon Askew-Henry — an Aliquippa native — should have a better chance than most rookie free agents of carving out a role with the Steelers. They didn’t draft a safety to complement a group that includes Sean Davis, Terrell Edmunds, Marcus Allen and Jordan Dangerfield.

That’s a bit thin, considering how often safeties are used on special teams and in sub-packages these days. Plus, Davis is entering the final year of his contract, and coach Mike Tomlin has mentioned Allen as a potential hybrid linebacker type of player.

“I wasn't aware of [the depth chart] until after they gave me the offer,” said Locke, who was a team captain at Texas. “I took that into perspective and felt like it was a great fit.”

Askew-Henry, who started all 51 games he played at West Virginia, was the first strong safety on the field Friday when the Steelers rookies lined up for 11-on-11. But he confirmed that doesn’t matter one bit, and neither does the pecking order at his position.

“I actually don’t know nothing about the safety situation,” Askew-Henry said. “I can only control what I can control.”

For now, that’s his competition with other roster hopefuls, especially Locke. The two bring similar profiles, beyond being undrafted free agents. Both were honorable mention All-Big 12 last season. Locke had 77 tackles last season, Askew-Henry 54. Askew-Henry had two interceptions to Locke’s one. The Steelers list Askew-Henry at 6 feet, Locke at 5-10, but both at 202 pounds — and the two cut nearly the same figure on the field.

One major difference is that Locke hails from Beaumont, Texas, while Askew-Henry was born and raised a county away. A place where, as he puts it, “the water’s different.”

“Aliquippa’s a small place,” Askew-Henry said. “Ty Law, Darrelle Revis, Sean Gilbert, Arno Askew, I could go all the way down the list. They stay in touch with athletes around our way. I talk to all of them.”

That means one Steelers rookie safety has Ryan Clark’s ear, and another has an entire football hotbed behind him. Both are adamant they have the versatility needed to help a team at this level, with Askew-Henry insisting he can line up on an island to cover a wideout or come up in the box to stop the run. Locke, who also played nickelback at Texas, repeated something he and his father have always believed — that he can cover like a cornerback and hit like a linebacker.

The two also sounded an awful lot alike when asked how much time they’ll be dedicating to learning the system now that they’re in the Steelers organization.

“I ain’t got nothing else to do,” Askew-Henry said, flashing a wide grin above his thick beard, “so I’ll just stay around here, get to learn the playbook, my teammates, my coaches, and I’m looking forward to the journey.”

Locke — who admitted he’s more concerned about how he can be seen on special teams first — relayed the advice he received from Clark, who spent eight seasons with the Steelers and four prior ones with the Washington Redskins and New York Giants, the team he latched on with upon being undrafted.

“He said to just always show myself, as far as always be out here [on the field] working, always be in the film room,” said Locke, who describes himself as a “gym rat.”

“I told him that’s a piece of cake, because that’s all I do.”

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2019/05/10/pj-locke-dravon-askew-henry-steelers-safeties-undrafted-rookie-free-agents/stories/201905100117

Steel Maniac
05-12-2019, 01:20 PM
Ryan told him simply “ball out”. Because there are jobs to be had on this team.

hawaiiansteel
05-12-2019, 02:44 PM
Ryan told him simply “ball out”. Because there are jobs to be had on this team.

and I would think more so at safety than at any other position...

hawaiiansteel
05-22-2019, 02:50 AM
that's one way for Cam Sutton to get the coaches to notice him -

https://static.clubs.nfl.com/image/private/t_photo_album/f_auto/steelers/cd4fqw5t35conupwu68j.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
05-22-2019, 10:16 AM
Gotta admit...I've never seen a football helmet visor with a picture of a horror movie hockey mask on it. I can't imagine that would be approved by the league for use in actual games, but I guess it's anything goes in OTA practices with no pads on and such.

hawaiiansteel
05-24-2019, 03:59 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers 2019 Camp Battles: Mike Hilton vs. Cam Sutton

We take a look at some of the more significant position battles that will be fought during minicamp, OTAs and training camp this offseason.

By Simon Chester May 24, 2019

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/5/24/18638395/pittsburgh-steelers-2019-camp-battles-nickel-cornerbacks-mike-hilton-vs-cam-sutton-nfl-news

Steel Maniac
05-27-2019, 10:11 AM
Hilton ( when healthy)is the best thing Back there behind Haden.

hawaiiansteel
05-28-2019, 08:03 PM
Steelers DB Kameron Kelly Worked With First-Team During Tuesday’s OTA Practice

By Dave Bryan
Posted on May 28, 2019

Pittsburgh Steelers defensive back Kameron Kelly has already played quite a bit of football so far this offseason and he might wind up playing even more once NFL teams make their final roster cuts in early September. In short, Kelly seems to be primed to make a serious run at a Steelers roster spot the remainder of the summer as long he can stay healthy.

According to a Tuesday report by Joe Rutter of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Kelly, who was signed by the Steelers in early April after the AAF ceased operations, took first-team reps at free safety at the start of the team’s second week of OTA practices on Tuesday. He probably did so due to regular starting free safety Sean Davis having to miss some time due to a minor injury of some sorts. As you can probably imagine, Kelly, who registered 14 total tackles, 9 passes defensed and 4 interceptions early this year with the San Diego Fleet of the now defunct AAF, was pretty excited about getting those important first-team reps on Tuesday.

“Of course, I was excited,” Kelly said. “It made me want to lock in more and make sure I made the most of my opportunity.”

After a college career at San Diego State that included him intercepting 10 passes and making 165 total tackles as both a safety and a cornerback, Kelly went unselected in 2018 NFL Draft and wound up signing immediately with the Dallas Cowboys as an undrafted free agent. After playing predominantly as a free safety with the Cowboys during the 2018 preseason, Kelly was ultimately waived. It’s worth noting, however that Kelly did also play some cornerback with the Cowboys and he knows his experience at multiple positions dating all the way back to his high school playing days could play in his favor in his attempt to make the Steelers 53-man roster this summer.

“I feel like I’m a Swiss army knife, whatever they want me to play, I’ll play,” Kelly said Tuesday per the Rutter report. “I told coach that I’ll punt if you want me to. If you want me to go back and play offense, I’ll do that.”

After Kelly originally made the roster of the Fleet earlier this year as a wide receiver, he was moved to the defensive side of the football by the team’s third game due to injuries. That move to cornerback with Fleet was a profitable one for Kelly as he started to make plays right away. He was even named the AAF Defensive Player of the Week for Week 5.

At the 2018 scouting combine, Kelly reportedly measured in at 6015, 204-pounds with 31 3/4-inch arms and 8 7/8-inch hands. He ran his 40-yard dash in 4.66-seconds, had a vertical jump of 33.0-inches and a broad jump of 10’0″. His short shuttle time was impressive at 4.28-seconds and his 3-cone-time was also not bad at 6.94-seconds.

It will now be interesting to track Kelly’s progress for the rest of OTAs and on into the start of training camp. For him to have a serious shot at making the Steelers 53-man roster out of training camp this year he’ll need to continue to display his position flexibility as a defensive back in addition to being a standout special teams player. The Steelers failed to draft a safety this year so thers definitely a chance that Kelly could wind up making the final 53-man roster as a backup behind starters Davis and Terrell Edmunds.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/steelers-db-kameron-kelly-worked-with-first-team-during-tuesdays-ota-practice/