PDA

View Full Version : So... do you feel good about the safety position after the draft?

Steel Maniac
04-28-2019, 01:52 AM
Well, we didn’t make a selection in the draft at that position. I translate that into meaning that Tomlin and Colbert feel they are fine at that position. But how do you feel about that position? Do you want to stay with this group or are you watching the waiver wire on what veteran safeties get released?

RuthlessBurgher
04-28-2019, 02:20 AM
At this time, our starting SS is Terrell Edmunds and our starting FS is Sean Davis, plus Mark Barron should be able to function in the hybrid safety/LB "dimebacker" role on passing downs that Morgan Burnett didn't want (especially with Devin Bush being counted upon to be an every down ILB wearing the green communication dot on defense).

I'd say Marcus Allen and Jordan Dangerfield get to battle in Latrobe to see who'll be the primary backup at SS.

With Haden, Nelson, Hilton, Layne, and Burns at CB, it will be interesting to see if they possibly try to see what Cam Sutton and Brian Allen might have if we got a chance to see what they could do possibly competing against each other for a backup FS spot.

Among our AAF signings, the name that intrigued me the most was DB Kameron Kelly, but I think he would have a good chance to possibly stick if given a chance at S in Latrobe as opposed to CB.

Among our UDFA signings, the Askew-Henry kid from WVU would seem to have a solid shot there as well.

Shawn
04-28-2019, 02:44 AM
Yes, I feel ok with the safety position. I think Edmunds has a break out year. Davis I’m not sold on but he’s still young and will continue to improve.

Buzz
04-28-2019, 10:41 AM
We needed to draft a FS, IMO. 1) for depth behind David and 2) to potentially replace Davis next year (this is his contract year).

Steel Maniac
04-28-2019, 10:47 AM
I’m hoping we give a look to our undrafted free agents signings. I think Davis is gone after this year.

Iron City Inc.
04-28-2019, 10:53 AM
Guys like Sutton n even Hilton who can play some S with the ability to be a moving chess piece will help this year. M Allen to me is a hybrid more LB then S. Lets hope both our starters show improvement n stay healthy.

SidSmythe
04-28-2019, 10:56 AM
I think we are in much better shape than when Mike Mitchell was back there.

Steel Maniac
04-28-2019, 11:03 AM
Guys like Sutton n even Hilton who can play some S with the ability to be a moving chess piece will help this year. M Allen to me is a hybrid more LB then S. Lets hope both our starters show improvement n stay healthy.

How long have we been saying that about Sutton? It’s obvious the front office ( by there non actions) feel that way but we’ll see if Sutton can make it out of camp / preseason healthy.

calmkiller
04-28-2019, 11:03 AM
Dravon Askew-Henry played FS at WVU and is a solid pickup. If he wouldn't have tore his ACL a few years ago he would have been a drafted S after his third year. With Edmunds, and Davis starting and backup of Dangerfield, Askew-Henry and Allen available, we should be fine. If they were truly concerned about the position after releasing Burnett, we would have seen it. I think Askew-Henry was tha plan all along.

Steel Maniac
04-28-2019, 11:06 AM
I think we are in much better shape than when Mike Mitchell was back there.

I hope your right.

Steel Maniac
04-28-2019, 11:07 AM
Dravon Askew-Henry played FS at WVU and is a solid pickup. If he wouldn't have tore his ACL a few years ago he would have been a drafted S after his third year. With Edmunds, and Davis starting and backup of Dangerfield, Askew-Henry and Allen available, we should be fine. If they were truly concerned about the position after releasing Burnett, we would have seen it. I think Askew-Henry was tha plan all along.

Thanks calmkiller. That’s a cool name by the way.

Djfan
04-28-2019, 11:14 AM
No.

But I do feel better about it. Not to go on a Tomlin bash, but I really think that he has no idea what he is doing with the backfield in general.

Steel Maniac
04-28-2019, 11:16 AM
No.

But I do feel better about it. Not to go on a Tomlin bash, but I really think that he has no idea what he is doing with the backfield in general.

I suspect that too but you have to give him the benefit of the doubt. Tomlin is under a microscope so you would think he’s going to put his best foot forward.

Djfan
04-28-2019, 11:18 AM
I suspect that too but you have to give him the benefit of the doubt. Tomlin is under a microscope so you would think he’s going to put his best foot forward.

I will be the first to sing the Tomlin Polka if he gets it together. Go Steelers

Steel Maniac
04-28-2019, 11:38 AM
For the record, so will I. But if he doesn’t, I’ll also be one of the first going the other way too.

Djfan
04-28-2019, 12:57 PM
For the record, so will I. But if he doesn’t, I’ll also be one of the first going the other way too.

Second. I own the first place spot. That's why I take breaks from this otherwise amazing site.

Iron City Inc.
04-28-2019, 01:04 PM
How long have we been saying that about Sutton? It’s obvious the front office ( by there non actions) feel that way but we’ll see if Sutton can make it out of camp / preseason healthy.

Well if Sutton gets reps at camp on the back end I'll let you know.

RuthlessBurgher
04-28-2019, 01:46 PM
Well if Sutton gets reps at camp on the back end I'll let you know.

Looking forward to your Latrobe reports, IC. Always a major offseason highlight.

Captain Lemming
04-28-2019, 02:08 PM
I will be the first to sing the Tomlin Polka if he gets it together. Go Steelers

Dj.....we want to "incentivize" him to "get it together", not "threaten" a polka serenade by you which would surely motivate him to throw games. :)

hawaiiansteel
04-28-2019, 03:25 PM
Tomlin ‘Comfortable’ With Depth At Safety, Citese Versatility Of Hilton, Sutton To Play There

By Matthew Marczi
Posted on April 28, 2019

With nine picks in the 2019 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers had the opportunity to address almost every position on the roster, and they only doubled up on one position, taking inside linebacker Ulysees Grant III after adding Devin Bush in the first round. If there is one glaring omission that was not addressed, however, it would have to be safety, where the team only has four players on the roster who are true to the position, all returning from last season’s roster.

Understandably, Head Coach Mike Tomlin was asked about that after the draft and whether he was comfortable with the names and numbers they have at the position that allowed them to exit the draft without adding additional personnel to the spot.

“We’ll allow those guys to sort themselves out”, he said. “We’re comfortable with the number of people that we have working”. The Steelers return starters Sean Davis and 2018 first-round pick Terrell Edmunds, as well as veteran Jordan Dangerfield and second-year Marcus Allen.

Prior to that question, Tomlin specifically discussed Allen, a fifth-round pick on whom the team was rather high in the pre-draft process, and mentioned that he is a primary candidate to work into some sub-package play in 2019 as the dimebacker. In following up the previous remarks, he also brought up the position flexibility they believe they have in the secondary, specifically referencing Mike Hilton and Cameron Sutton.

“We’re also comfortable with the versatility of some of the corners. You’ve seen Cam Sutton play some safety. You’ve seen Mike Hilton play safety on our football team in the past”, Tomlin said. “I’m sure there are others who are capable as well. So, we’re comfortable, not only with our numbers, but with the flexibility of others that may not be quote on quote safeties”.

Brian Allen, heading into his third year, is another potential candidate to work at safety that has been kicked around in the past. But Hilton and Sutton have worked there in practice. Hilton even at one point last season hinted that he would be the second-string free safety, over Morgan Burnett, if Davis were to suffer an injury.

So the Steelers exit the primary roster-building portion of the offseason without addressing an area in which they are thin on paper, yet nonetheless they express confidence in both the names and numbers they have available to them.

It’s also worth noting that the defensive backs that they got from the Alliance of American Football, Jack Tocho and Kameron Kelly, are safety-capable, and given the makeup of the roster there’s a reasonable chance they will get the opportunities to work there.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/04/tomlin-comfortable-with-depth-at-safety-citese-versatility-of-hilton-sutton-to-play-there/

hawaiiansteel
04-28-2019, 03:52 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=q2FnIFboyNc

Steel Maniac
04-28-2019, 04:59 PM
Dj.....we want to "incentivize" him to "get it together", not "threaten" a polka serenade by you which would surely motivate him to throw games. :)

Cap, you crazy dude. Hahaha

Steel Maniac
04-28-2019, 05:01 PM
Tomlin ‘Comfortable’ With Depth At Safety, Citese Versatility Of Hilton, Sutton To Play There

By Matthew Marczi
Posted on April 28, 2019

With nine picks in the 2019 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers had the opportunity to address almost every position on the roster, and they only doubled up on one position, taking inside linebacker Ulysees Grant III after adding Devin Bush in the first round. If there is one glaring omission that was not addressed, however, it would have to be safety, where the team only has four players on the roster who are true to the position, all returning from last season’s roster.

Understandably, Head Coach Mike Tomlin was asked about that after the draft and whether he was comfortable with the names and numbers they have at the position that allowed them to exit the draft without adding additional personnel to the spot.

“We’ll allow those guys to sort themselves out”, he said. “We’re comfortable with the number of people that we have working”. The Steelers return starters Sean Davis and 2018 first-round pick Terrell Edmunds, as well as veteran Jordan Dangerfield and second-year Marcus Allen.

Prior to that question, Tomlin specifically discussed Allen, a fifth-round pick on whom the team was rather high in the pre-draft process, and mentioned that he is a primary candidate to work into some sub-package play in 2019 as the dimebacker. In following up the previous remarks, he also brought up the position flexibility they believe they have in the secondary, specifically referencing Mike Hilton and Cameron Sutton.

“We’re also comfortable with the versatility of some of the corners. You’ve seen Cam Sutton play some safety. You’ve seen Mike Hilton play safety on our football team in the past”, Tomlin said. “I’m sure there are others who are capable as well. So, we’re comfortable, not only with our numbers, but with the flexibility of others that may not be quote on quote safeties”.

Brian Allen, heading into his third year, is another potential candidate to work at safety that has been kicked around in the past. But Hilton and Sutton have worked there in practice. Hilton even at one point last season hinted that he would be the second-string free safety, over Morgan Burnett, if Davis were to suffer an injury.

So the Steelers exit the primary roster-building portion of the offseason without addressing an area in which they are thin on paper, yet nonetheless they express confidence in both the names and numbers they have available to them.

It’s also worth noting that the defensive backs that they got from the Alliance of American Football, Jack Tocho and Kameron Kelly, are safety-capable, and given the makeup of the roster there’s a reasonable chance they will get the opportunities to work there.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/04/tomlin-comfortable-with-depth-at-safety-citese-versatility-of-hilton-sutton-to-play-there/

Which is just what I said; by the way they drafted, it told you Tomlin felt good about the safety situation.

hawaiiansteel
05-13-2019, 06:17 PM
Undrafted Aliquippa Native Askew-Henry: ‘I Knew Where I Wanted To Go’

By Matthew Marczi
Posted on May 13, 2019

Some decisions make themselves. That was the case for Pittsburgh Steelers rookie safety Dravon Askew-Henry, whose decision to come to Pittsburgh was made for him once the West Virginia alumnus went undrafted.

“I already knew what I wanted to do. If I was undrafted I knew where I wanted to go”, he told reporters during rookie minicamp, as one of the team’s most high-profile college free agent signings from after the 2019 NFL Draft. “This is my home”.

And he means that pretty literally. Askew-Henry is from Aliquippa. Darrelle Revis is literally his cousin. Dude was born a Yinzer.

“I grew up a Steelers fan”, he went on. “I have family that stayed here in Pittsburgh. I feel like I’m at home”.

He certainly wouldn’t be the first one to come to Pittsburgh feeling that way. Among the most prominent in recent years would be Jesse James, the tight end who graduated out of Penn State before being selected in the fifth round of the 2015 NFL Draft.

While he may have come to the Steelers regardless of the circumstances simply because of his love for his hometown team—assuming that they were mutually interested in him, of course—he also comes to a team that figures to potentially have a roster opening for him.

After all, the Steelers have gone throughout this entire offseason process without making a significant addition to the safety position, and have lost two of the six that they carried on their roster last season. If they carried six in 2018, one would figure they might want to carry at least five this year, and right now, they’re pretty much at four.

P.J. Locke is another notable safety that the team added as an undrafted free agent. They also brought in Kameron Kelly as an alumnus of the Alliance of American Football. Jack Tocho, who played safety in the AAF, was released after the draft, though he was listed by the team as a cornerback.

“I’m going to give the Pittsburgh Steelers, the organization everything I got, just like I would Aliquippa or as I did at West Virginia”, Askew-Henry said. He has that added layer of motivation that can only come from playing for a team that you love.

Of course, that doesn’t give you superhuman abilities. But he did record an interception during rookie minicamp, which is a good way to get started. Now he has to do that against a quarterback who has actually participated in the NFL before.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/undrafted-aliquippa-native-askew-henry-i-knew-where-i-wanted-to-go/

Steel Maniac
05-13-2019, 06:29 PM
Lot of competition. Pressure creates diamonds. Here's hoping.

Buzz
05-13-2019, 06:39 PM
I'd love to see Askew-Henry break out and be a stud, but the odds are strongly against that. I think we should've spent a draft pick or FA money on a FS, but Tomlin seems to think he can make one out of one of the CBs on the roster, if need be. Never mind that we haven't really seen him do anything like that yet.

I hope the answer will be on the field for us this fall. I don't really think it's Sean Davis, but we'll see.

RuthlessBurgher
05-13-2019, 08:08 PM
I want to see what Kameron Kelly shows this summer in Latrobe if they make him a full time safety.

Steel Maniac
05-13-2019, 10:37 PM
I'd love to see Askew-Henry break out and be a stud, but the odds are strongly against that. I think we should've spent a draft pick or FA money on a FS, but Tomlin seems to think he can make one out of one of the CBs on the roster, if need be. Never mind that we haven't really seen him do anything like that yet.

I hope the answer will be on the field for us this fall. I don't really think it's Sean Davis, but we'll see.

I hear you but are we not due for one of these damn reach ( and hope) moves to pan out??? Need for a guy to come out the blue and turn some heads.

Ernie
05-14-2019, 05:39 AM
I hear you but are we not due for one of these damn reach ( and hope) moves to pan out??? Need for a guy to come out the blue and turn some heads.

Unfortunately Mike Hilton may have taken that slot for the decade lol

I'd love to see Brian Allen get a shot at Safety (and actually stick). Marcus Allen is a guy that I think may be the guy that fits your description...and the primary reason why we didn't draft a Safety, or seek one out in FA.

Oh wow
05-14-2019, 07:41 AM
I know this kids family. I hope it works out for him. Always happy to see a kid from Quip in the NFL.

Also hope he doesn’t spend too much time back home.

Steel Maniac
05-14-2019, 09:51 AM
Unfortunately Mike Hilton may have taken that slot for the decade lol

I'd love to see Brian Allen get a shot at Safety (and actually stick). Marcus Allen is a guy that I think may be the guy that fits your description...and the primary reason why we didn't draft a Safety, or seek one out in FA.

Ernie, you took the wind right out of my sails saying we used our juice on Hilton already. LOL

hawaiiansteel
05-19-2019, 03:17 PM
Buy Or Sell: Sean Davis Will Produce 3+ Turnovers In 2019

By Matthew Marczi
Posted on May 19, 2019

The offseason is inevitably a period of projection and speculation, which makes it the ideal time to ponder the hypotheticals that the Pittsburgh Steelers will face over the course of the next year, whether it is addressing free agency, the draft, performance on the field, or some more ephemeral topic.

That is what I will look to address in our Buy or Sell series. In each installment, I will introduce a topic statement and weigh some of the arguments for either buying it (meaning that you agree with it or expect it to be true) or selling it (meaning you disagree with it or expect it to be false).

The range of topics will be intentionally wide, from the general to the specific, from the immediate to that in the far future. And as we all tend to have an opinion on just about everything, I invite you to share your own each morning on the topic statement of the day.

Topic Statement: Safety Sean Davis will product three-plus turnovers in 2019.

Explanation: Davis recorded three interceptions during his second season and produced a forced fumble as well. That had people hoping he could be a playmaker the defense needed, but he only has two total turnovers in his other two seasons, including one last year in his first as the free safety.

Buy:

The caveat with Davis up to this point in his career is the simple fact that he has always been moved around a bit, which makes it harder to settle into one role. The most consistency he had was heading into that second season, as he began starting at strong safety in the second half of his rookie year.

Not only was he in his first season of working at free safety in 2018—something he had never done before—he was also working with a rookie throughout the season in Terrell Edmunds, and that comes with added responsibilities.

2019 should prove to be a much more stable one for Davis as he and Edmunds head into their second season as a pair working together. Provided that he’s able to finally settle into his spot, and his role, he has the athletic and schematic capabilities to make those plays, as he showed in 2017.

Sell:

Outside of Ryan Shazier, the only players who have recorded three or more interceptions in a season since Troy Polamalu quite a while ago were Davis, Artie Burns, and Mike Mitchell. Mitchell is gone, Burns is fending for a job, and Davis hasn’t exactly been a ballhawk throughout his career.

Up to this point, the three-interception season is the anomaly, and he has to prove otherwise. To do that, he has to show a lot of growth into his free safety role. There were clear growing pains in 2018 moving to the more rangy position, so he will have to curb that to be able to put himself in more opportunistic situations.

And the pass he intercepted last season? A bad one by Taysom Hill.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/buy-or-sell-sean-davis-will-produce-3-turnovers-in-2019/

Steel Maniac
05-21-2019, 10:32 AM
I think Sean and Bud need to room together so when their both jettisoned, it will be one open and clear room for two real valuable players to step into. LOL

RuthlessBurgher
05-21-2019, 10:42 AM
I think Sean and Bud need to room together so when their both jettisoned, it will be one open and clear room for two real valuable players to step into. LOL

You really think we are going to cut our starting FS and starting OLB? Seriously?!?!? :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
05-24-2019, 10:43 AM
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

Steelers safety Terrell Edmunds said new pass interference rules will be ‘tough' but will incentivize players to use their feet more than their hands.

16h

hawaiiansteel
05-28-2019, 06:07 PM
P.J. Locke: ‘I Believe I Can Play Anything’

By Matthew Marczi
Posted on May 28, 2019

While the Pittsburgh Steelers signed former Texas defensive back P.J. Locke officially as a safety, the reality is that those things can often change. Roosevelt Nix was signed as a linebacker initially, after all. But Locke believes that he is capable of playing all over the field, and like Sutton Smith is willing to show it.

Locke, one of a couple of notable safeties to sign with the Steelers after the draft following seven rounds of only one defensive back—cornerback Justin Layne—being added to the roster, told Chris Adamski all about his confidence in his versatility.

“I believe I can play anything – I kind of have experience at every position”, he told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. And he did play both safety and cornerback, and even linebacker, going back to high school, playing a more blended role in college.

“I just feel comfortable at every position”, he said, “so I think it helps me more because I know certain things that nickel has to do, I know certain things linebacker has to do. So when I get put back at safety, I kind of know what holes are open and things like that”.

Former Steelers defensive back Carnell Lake also believed that his experience playing a variety of positions—he moved from linebacker to safety when he was drafted and then also later played cornerback at the NFL level—helped him with his global understanding of the defense, and of the game itself, which eventually led him into coaching.

But of course Locke isn’t looking to get into coaching any time soon. He wants to be on an NFL roster later this fall and bringing down running backs, tight ends, wide receivers—whoever might have the ball that he is tasked to stop.

While that versatility in his background can certainly be an asset—and working with Ryan Clark as a mentor won’t hurt either—the best thing playing in his favor for the Steelers might just be the numbers game, as the team only really had four safeties on the roster prior to the draft. They carried six into the season a year ago, and often have five, so you have to figure there is an opportunity for somebody there if they earn it.

Sean Davis is the biggest name at the position right now, a player entering his fourth season who has started for most of his career, but alongside him his 2018 first-round pick Terrell Edmunds, who started for nearly all of his rookie season.

Then there is Marcus Allen, another second-year player looking to make a jump, who may get the first crack at the dimeback job, and Jordan Dangerfield is a veteran who has been around for over half a decade in some form or fashion. Locke could be a welcome addition if he earns his way.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/p-j-locke-i-believe-i-can-play-anything/

hawaiiansteel
06-02-2019, 10:05 PM
Now healthy, Marcus Allen is ready to show the Steelers what he can do

The former Penn State product is healthy now, and ready to show the Steelers what he can bring to the safety position.

By Jeff.Hartman Jun 2, 2019

The Pittsburgh Steelers took a hard-hitting safety named Marcus Allen out of Penn State in the 2018 NFL Draft, but there was very little hitting being done by the former Nittany Lion. As it turns out, Allen’s inactive status throughout 2018 was more due to injury than an inability, or incapability, to play the game at the NFL level.

Fast forward to 2019 and the second year player is not only healthy, but making plays in Organized Team Activities (OTAs). Yes, it is nothing more than ‘football in shorts’, but for Allen it is much more than that. It is a chance for him to prove what he is capable of.

“It feels good to get back to work,” Allen told Kevin Gorman of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “Last year, I wasn’t out here for OTAs so it was like being on the outside looking in and getting the feel of it.”

When reflecting back to last season, Allen felt plenty of frustration with the hamstring injury which held him out all of rookie minicamp, OTAs and even a large portion of training camp.

“It bothered me a lot. I got here, got drafted and had high expectations for myself. Being not ready and able to go out there and show what I can do was disappointing. I wanted to show what I can do. Now that I’m all good and healthy it feels like I’m back at home.”

If there was a positive spin to take away from Allen’s inactivity last year it was his ability to learn the playbook front-to-back. Now, back on the field, he can move with a speed and ferocity which got him drafted in the first place.

“It feels second nature now, honestly, just going out there and performing,” Allen said. “I know our plays and got it down pat.”

So, what should fans expect from Allen in 2019? No one really knows for sure, but Allen is ready to put his best foot forward and make plays for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

“I expect better things completely this year,” Allen said, “but just being out there last year, fulfilling my dream, was incredible. Just walking out the gates and looking at the stadium with everyone roaring was crazy.

“Every game is motivation, to be honest. Just not being out there and looking on the sideline, I knew my time was coming.”

When it comes to his position, there is certainly a spot to be had on the roster. Outside of Sean Davis and Terrell Edmunds, the Steelers are looking for depth at safety, and while fans love pointing to undrafted rookies like P.J. Locke and Dravon Askew-Henry, it seems you shouldn’t forget about Allen and his potential to be the answer to the question of depth at the strong safety position.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/6/2/18649362/now-healthy-marcus-allen-is-ready-to-show-the-steelers-what-he-can-do-penn-state-nfl-news

Steel Maniac
06-03-2019, 12:31 AM
All these experiments ; Tomlin has a lot to figure out.

RuthlessBurgher
06-03-2019, 10:25 AM
All these experiments ; Tomlin has a lot to figure out.

It's not experiments. It's reality in today's NFL where you are spending more time in nickel/dime specialty defenses than you are in your base set.

You need safeties willing to come up into the box and get their nose dirty just as much as you need linebackers who are able to drop and cover TE's and RB's out of the backfield. The lines between safety and linebacker are being blurred somewhat now.

You just need to find guys who are athletically capable and mentally willing to do whatever it takes to make plays against the run and the pass in the middle of our defense.

We brought in Morgan Burnett to be this type of guy for us last year, but injuries made him athetically incapable early on, and then a guy who was always a starting SS in this league was mentally unwilling to accept a role as a mere dimebacker at this stage of his career.

It would appear that we now have several options here of guys who should be both capable and willing to fill this role for us in 2019. That's a positive sign, for sure.

Experiments are things like Belichick using WR Troy Brown as a CB or using LB Mike Vrabel as a TE. Or us converting college WR and UDFA DE Alejandro Villenueva into a Pro Bowl LT or converting UDFA college DE Roosevelt Nix into a Pro Bowl FB (while also doing something similar with Sutton Smith at FB now in OTA's as well).

RuthlessBurgher
06-04-2019, 11:43 AM
Everything’s slowed down for Terrell Edmunds heading into second season

Posted by Josh Alper on June 4, 2019, 7:03 AM EDT

Steelers General Manager Kevin Colbert said this offseason that the team would ideally like to have their draft picks delay “getting onto the field as long as you can” so that they can get acclimated to the NFL before being in the thick of the fray.

Circumstances don’t always allow for that, however, and safety Terrell Edmunds is a prime example of that. Edmunds was a first-round pick last year and wound up playing 1,189 snaps on defense and special teams.

That’s more than any other rookie in the league played last year and finished the year with 78 tackles, a sack and an interception. Edmunds said he felt like he got better as the year progressed. He also feels better prepared for this season after the heavy workload.

“Everything slows up in your mind,” Edmunds said, via the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “Last year you can say everything was moving faster. From the first day of OTAs last year to the first day of OTAs this year, you can just tell because everything was moving so fast, everybody was moving fast. And now that you have those snaps under your belt, that year under your belt, you’re one of those guys now, like you’re moving fast to the young guys now. The calls, the playbook, everything, you can say, is easier, you know what to expect. Now you can just go out there, get more comfortable and play your game.”

The Steelers may be veering from Colbert’s ideal path again this year. They traded up to take linebacker Devin Bush with the 10th overall pick and the rookie has a clear path to early playing time alongside Edmunds in the Pittsburgh defense.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/04/everythings-slowed-down-for-terrell-edmunds-heading-into-second-season/

hawaiiansteel
06-04-2019, 04:07 PM
Steelers S Sean Davis Able To Begin Participating In Team Drills On Tuesday

By Dave Bryan
Posted on June 4, 2019

The Pittsburgh Steelers were back on the field Tuesday for their seventh OTA practice of 2019 and as expected, safety Sean Davis took part in the session after missing the first two weeks because of minor health issues.

Davis said after Tuesday’s practice that he participated in team drills for the first time this spring earlier in the day and that he has previously missed practice time because of body stiffness, according to Joe Rutter of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

“Nothing major. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t putting my body at harm,” Davis reportedly said Tuesday.

While Davis has been sidelined, new Steelers defensive back Kameron Kelly, who was signed after the AAF folded, was reportedly getting some first-team reps at free safety.

Davis, who said last week that he’s yet to have discussions about a possible contract extension this summer, reiterated that again on Tuesday, according to Will Graves of the Associated Press. Davis reportedly did add that he has noticed that a few other safeties around the NFL received big contracts this past offseason.

The offseason observations made by Davis were good ones as safeties Tyrann Mathieu, Landon Collins, Earl Thomas, Lamarcus Joyner and Adrian Amos are just a few players that were able to sign very lucrative contracts this past offseason. Even safety Kenny Vaccaro signed a four-year contract with the Tennessee Titans this past March that averages $6 million per season.

As I wrote last week upon Davis saying that he planned to finally begin practicing this week, the Steelers former second-round draft pick out of Maryland is probably looking for a contract extension this summer that would result in him being in the top 15 highest paid at his position at the minimum. That means that Davis is at least looking for a new money average of at least $6.5 million and maybe as much as $10 million per season.

To date, there’s been no indication that the Steelers have plans to sign Davis to an extension later this summer but that could change quickly. However, it’s a good bet that if Davis is ultimately signed to a contract extension later this summer that such a deal wouldn’t be consummated until right before the 2019 regular season gets underway.

“It felt good to get back with the guys, flying around, making some calls, just getting back in the flow of things,” Davis said Tuesday.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/steelers-s-sean-davis-able-to-begin-participating-in-team-drills-on-tuesday/

Steel Maniac
06-04-2019, 04:31 PM
Thanks for all your post Hawaiian.

RuthlessBurgher
06-05-2019, 10:46 AM
Tuesday, Jun 04, 2019 03:00 PM

Back with a plan

Mike Prisuta

Steelers.com

After joining his teammates on the field for the first time in OTAs, Sean Davis apparently wanted to glean everything he possibly could from the experience.

He and Terrell Edmunds, the Steelers’ presumptive starting safeties, lingered and chatted long after today’s session had ended.

They were out there together long after individual post-practice work on the Jugs machine had been completed.

Long after every other player had retreated to the shade of the locker room at the UPMC Rooney Sports Complex.

“Yeah man, it’s been a while since we played together,” Davis explained. “Just choppin’ it up, talking about the year, talking about practice today and trying to get better.”

Davis anticipates having a better feel entering his second season at free safety.

His first campaign after switching from strong safety resulted in one interception for Davis and eight for the Steelers.

“I was trying to get the hang of things, and maybe I was more focused on being the last man back there rather than playing aggressively,” he said. “But obviously one interception isn’t enough for me. How many did we have as a unit? Eight is not enough for all of us, that’s definitely been a point of emphasis.

“For me personally, I’m just trying to get better, learn different angles, read the quarterbacks a little bit better and just perfect my craft. One interception is not acceptable, so definitely gotta get more than that this year.

“I’m really excited to hone in on my free safety skills. I don’t want to say I was wingin' it last year, but was just learning by mistakes. Just to have another year under my belt and to have tape to watch to correct myself. We added Coach ’T.A.’ (senior defensive assistant/secondary Teryl Austin), who brings in a lot of different stuff. I feel like this year I can hopefully put it all together.”

Davis and Edmunds are poised to become second-year holdovers on a defense that is undergoing a significant transition.

Cornerback Steve Nelson and linebacker Mark Barron were signed in veteran free agency and the Steelers traded up 10 spots in the draft to select linebacker Devin Bush 10th overall.

“The defense definitely needs to play better,” Davis maintained. “We lost a lot of games that we shouldn’t have lost last year, gave up too many points. It’s hard to shut teams out, but make them go by three (points) instead of seven. And no big plays, that’s really my big thing. And more turnovers, we need more turnovers.

“So the defense definitely has an uphill battle this year but I know we can get it done.”

Davis hadn’t taken part in OTAs prior to today because “my body just felt a little stiff,” he said. “Nothing major, though.”

His eventual participation was apparently worth the wait.

“It felt good to get back with the guys, flying around, making some calls, just getting back in the flow of things,” Davis said. “Today I felt good and it felt good to be back out there.

“I see a lot of additions and I feel like we’ve upgraded. We’ve all just been getting better. We’re all progressing, making the proper steps to get to a championship defense.”

https://www.steelers.com/news/back-with-a-plan

hawaiiansteel
06-11-2019, 12:05 AM
Now Respected, Steelers S Jordan Dangerfield Still Doesn’t Take Any Day For Granted

By Dave Bryan
Posted on June 10, 2019

It used to be cute to reference Pittsburgh Steelers safety Jordan Dangerfield as not getting enough respect in post and stories but that angle has now been overplayed at this point with the Towson product making the initial 53-man roster the last few seasons. While Dangerfield has more than earned the respect of Steelers coaches and fans of the team at this point of his career, he knows that he must continue to earn a roster spot every offseason.

“That’s the first rule: Never get comfortable,” Dangerfield said last week during OTA practices, according to Kevin Gorman of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “There’s always somebody in life trying to take your spot. You’ve got to come out and prove it every day.”

A backup safety and core special teams player the last few seasons, Dangerfield now looks to once again beat out several other younger safeties on the offseason roster this summer in the form of Dravon Askew-Henry, P.J. Locke and defensive back Kameron Kelly, who can play multiple positions in the secondary. While Kelly reportedly received some first-team reps at free safety during the first two weeks of OTA practices while starter Sean Davis was sidelined with a minor injury, Dangerfield also reportedly played some with the first-team defense as well and he feels he took advantage of them.

“It’s been big,” Dangerfield said, per Gorman’s story. “I’ve been here. I know the defense.”

Last season, Dangerfield, who first arrived in Pittsburgh in 2014 on a Reserve/Futures contract, played all of 76 total defensive snaps and his way to registering 5 total tackles on that side of the football. 49 of those snaps came in the regular season finale against the Cincinnati Bengals as he started that game in place of an injured Davis. Not only did Dangerfield play every defensive snap in that Week 17 game, he also had a team-high 19 special teams snaps in that contest. How’s that for earning your keep in Week 17?

Dangerfield’s path to where he is now in his NFL career has included him being waived from a roster or cut from a practice squad a total of seven times. Last week during the final week of OTA practices, Dangerfield made sure to recognize the fact that not many other players would have had the metal fortitude to stick around as long as he’s been able to.

“They would have folded,” Dangerfield said. “That’s why I’m different. I’m built different. I keep my faith. Every time I get an opportunity, I’m thankful and make the most of it.”

If not for an ankle injury suffered during the Steelers 2017 preseason finale, Dangerfield would have likely been on the Steelers 53-man roster most, if not all of, the entire season. Instead, the Steelers had to waive him injured and eventually cut him with a settlement so that he could possibly return later in the season, which he ultimately did. Obviously with all that Dangerfield has gone through since entering the NFL in 2013 with the Buffalo Bills as an undrafted free agent, he doesn’t assume anything moving forward into whatever is now left of his professional football career.

“I don’t take any day for granted,” Dangerfield said, “because I’ve been through the ups and downs, been through life without football – a whole year, a few weeks even when I was healthy – so all I’ve got to do is think about those hard times and I’m motivated every day.”

With the Steelers mandatory minicamp set to start on Tuesday, it’s hard to envision Dangerfield ultimately not being on this year’s 53-man roster. After all, he’s a core special teams player and while his defensive playing time has been limited over the years, he can be trusted in the defense to be in the right spot. Obviously, one of the younger defensive backs could ultimately make Dangerfield expendable later this summer, it will be a tough chore to accomplish that feat just the same.

Dangerfield, by the way, graduated from Towson University a few weeks ago and that’s a goal he’s been trying to accomplish for the last several years.

“It’s a backup plan, something to fall back on after football,” Dangerfield said of him recently graduating. “Whatever I decide to do, I’ve got that in my back pocket.”

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/now-respected-steelers-s-jordan-dangerfield-still-doesnt-take-any-day-for-granted/

hawaiiansteel
06-17-2019, 01:44 AM
Safety - Do you think Danger's in danger? Not with all of the core special teamers they lost from last season. No, Jordan Dangerfield is a valuable reserve safety. We'll watch Marcus Allen try to fend off sleeper Kameron Kelly, but, again, it's another No. 4 or 5 spot.

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Article/Wexell-Post-springpre-camp-Steelers-preview-writes-itself-132903958/

hawaiiansteel
07-01-2019, 05:37 PM
Top Supplemental Draft Prospect Should Interest Steelers

By Alex Kozora
Posted on July 1, 2019

Save for the 1984 supplemental draft conducted by the NFL as a fail safe for the possible – and eventual – collapse of the USFL, the Pittsburgh Steelers have never made a selection in the league’s “bonus” pool.

Maybe that changes this year.

At the least, there’s one player the team should be doing their homework on.

Washington State safety Jalen Thompson announced he’ll declare for the draft after finding out he became ineligible for his senior season at WSU. The reason is unspecified but according to a statement provided by the Cougars, he violated NCAA rules.

While most players who enter the supplemental draft are unlikely to be drafted with off field concerns that are generally greater than on-field talent, Thompson is likely to be taken by someone. A three year starter at free safety, he’s recorded six interceptions over the last two years while recording 11.5 TFL and recovering five fumbles.

Though I’ll admit I haven’t watched his tape yet, outside sources are unanimous the talent is there. For Pittsburgh, there’s also a clear need. Safety depth is one of the weakest spots of the team especially at free safety. Backing up Sean Davis, entering a contract year himself, is Jordan Dangerfield. Safety was the one position the team failed to address during the draft and the UDFAs they brought in, neither of whom can be counted on to make the team, are strong safeties.

If there’s a time to roll the dice, this is probably it.

Of course, the odds are still going to be low, just as they are in trying to predict any one team in a situation like this. Pittsburgh shipped a 3rd round pick in 2020’s draft in order to move up for Devin Bush and might be unwilling to give up another “future” pick in the same offseason. Or maybe they get unlucky and another team jumps them. Supplemental drafts work the same as the main one. Teams go in order round by round, either picking a player or far more likely, passing on the chance to do so.

Two players were taken in last year’s draft. The New York Giants burned a third round pick on CB Sam Beal while Washington used a 6th on CB Adonis Alexander. They were the first supplemental players drafted since 2015 but it sounds likely Thompson will join that list when the draft is held sometime in July. Last year, it was conducted on July 10th. (Update: It appears this year’s draft will also be held July 10th)

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/07/top-supplemental-draft-prospect-should-interest-steelers/

Steel Maniac
07-02-2019, 07:06 PM
Colbert will do the homework and we’ll see what he comes up with.

RuthlessBurgher
07-05-2019, 02:22 PM
Jalen Thompson, S, Washington State

Collegiate career: Thompson committed to Washington State as a three-star recruit by 247 Sports. He made an instant impact in Pullman, playing in 13 games as a freshman in 2016 and totaling 51 tackles with three tackles for loss and seven pass breakups. Good figures. The following year, most of Thompson's numbers jumped. He had 73 tackles, 5.5 tackles for loss, four interceptions, and recorded a pair of pass breakups. In 2018, Thompson again appeared in 13 games at safety and had 66 takedowns, three tackles behind the line, two picks, and he defended eight passes.

Scouting report: Good height, smaller-ish frame for the safety position. Athleticism is impressive. Very fluid, non-jagged mover in any direction. Hybrid safety/slot cornerback with experience and effective play in man to man. Quickness is more impressive than his overall speed. Lack of size and strength shows up on occasion against bigger blockers in the run game, but he's a noticeably aggressive, active run defender with solid range. Plus body control, awareness, and ball skills to make game-changing plays in coverage.

Projected draft range: Rounds 2-3

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-supplemental-draft-breaking-down-the-two-prospects-that-could-be-selected/

I would not be willing to give up our 2020 2nd round pick in next week's supplemental draft (and we already traded away our 2020 3rd round pick, so that's not an option...and we can't trade the 3rd round comp pick everyone expects us to get for Le'Veon Bell, because we don't officially own that pick yet).

However, I think I would be willing to part with our 2020 4th rounder if no one takes Jalen Thompson through 3 rounds of the supplemental draft next Wednesday.

I think we very easily could have taken a safety in round 4 this year, but Chauncey Gardner-Johnson came off the board 3 picks into round 4, and then Amani Hooker was taken 6 spots ahead of our pick, so we determined that Kentucky RB Benny Snell was a better overall fit for us than the remaining safeties such as Miami's Shedrick Redwine or Alabama's Deionte Thompson.

We don't usually dip our toe into the supplemental draft pool, but after not taking a safety at all in the draft a few months back, I think I would be willing to part with a future mid-round pick as insurance as we enter the last year of Sean Davis' rookie contract.

hawaiiansteel
07-05-2019, 04:07 PM

Askew-Henry will be lucky to make the practice squad.

Kameron Kelly was taking snaps ahead of him also and the Steelers won't be keeping 6 safeties.

hawaiiansteel
07-07-2019, 01:57 PM
Buy Or Sell: Steelers Will Carry A 5th Safety (And He’s Not Currently On The Roster)

By Matthew Marczi
Posted on July 6, 2019

The offseason is inevitably a period of projection and speculation, which makes it the ideal time to ponder the hypotheticals that the Pittsburgh Steelers will face over the course of the next year, whether it is addressing free agency, the draft, performance on the field, or some more ephemeral topic.

That is what I will look to address in our Buy or Sell series. In each installment, I will introduce a topic statement and weigh some of the arguments for either buying it (meaning that you agree with it or expect it to be true) or selling it (meaning you disagree with it or expect it to be false).

The range of topics will be intentionally wide, from the general to the specific, from the immediate to that in the far future. And as we all tend to have an opinion on just about everything, I invite you to share your own each morning on the topic statement of the day.

Topic Statement: The Steelers will carry a fifth safeties (and he’s not currently on the roster.

Explanation: The Steelers seemed to show their hand about what they would like to do defensively when they carries six safeties on the roster to open the season a year ago. The dime became their most frequent package, and they even toyed with seven-DB looks. This year, they appear to have only four ‘solid’ current candidates to make the team at the position.

Buy:

This is a two-part buy, so it’s a little trickier. Feel free to buy the first half but sell the second half if you so choose. It’s not like there’s anything at stake here so there’s no reason to be strict with the rules. But anyway, yes, the Steelers have already shown that they definitely want to have at least five safeties on the roster.

And no, none of the current safeties beyond the top four have really indicated that they could or should be that guy. The team is due for a preseason trade acquisition, and safety could be a likely target there, or they could get a player after cuts are made, as they’ve done in the past (Ross Cockrell is a recent example at cornerback). There’s also a safety coming out in the supplemental draft they could be interested in.

Sell:

The Steelers aren’t going to have more than four safeties on the field at the same time, so it’s a false assumption to think that they need five safeties to play three for the dime or dollar packages. You can play those packages with four, and Mike Tomlin has even specifically talked about Marcus Allen fore the dimebacker role.

He has to go out and earn it, first, but there’s a good case to be made that he will, and that he’ll be given the opportunity to. Remember, this team likes him. They didn’t need him when they drafted him. They took him because he was that high on their board.

And let’s also not forget that Tomlin talked about the cornerbacks having safety versatility. Specifically Mike Hilton and Cameron Sutton, but Brian Allen could move there too, assuming he even makes the roster. The odds of a fifth safety holding much relevance in 2019 are not favorable, so one shouldn’t be overly worried about it, nor expect the team to go out of their way to make sure they have one.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/07/buy-or-sell-steelers-will-carry-a-5th-safety-and-hes-not-currently-on-the-roster/

Captain Lemming
07-08-2019, 10:13 AM
Safety - Do you think Danger's in danger?
https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Article/Wexell-Post-springpre-camp-Steelers-preview-writes-itself-132903958/

Dont know if Dangerfield is in Danger......I would love for him to become our first All Pro safety since Troy.
Not because I love the Steelers

Because he could have a better coverage tagline than "Revis Island"

Please get us 10 plus picks so we can call your coverage (or our secondary as a unit):

"The DANGER zone"

RuthlessBurgher
07-08-2019, 10:18 AM
Wouldn't it be a Danger FIELD ??? ;)

RuthlessBurgher
07-08-2019, 06:00 PM
Jalen Thompson works out for 26 teams
By Charean Williams | Jul 8, 2019, 5:51 PM EDT

Former Washington State safety Jalen Thompson worked out for 26 teams in Los Angeles on Monday, Tony Pauline of draftanalyst.com reports. The Texans sent their director of scouting.

Thompson and former West Virginia receiver Marcus Simms are expected to be drafted in Wednesday’s supplemental draft.

Thompson measured just over 5 feet, 10 inches and weighed 186 pounds with 8 3/8-inch hands and an arm strength of 31 1/4, according to Pauline. He had a 33 1/2 vertical and 40-yard dash times of 4.47 and 4.56, with a 4.16 in the short shuttle and a 6.98 in the three cone.

The Falcons ran Thompson’s position drills.

Thompson met with the Packers after his workout, and the Patriots, Rams, Dolphins, Colts and Cardinals also showed interest in him, per Pauline.

Thompson lost his final year of NCAA eligibility, prompting him to declare for the supplemental draft.

Former Syracuse linebacker Shyheim Cullen, former Saint Francis defensive back Bryant Perry and former junior college tight end Devonaire Clarington also have entered their names in the supplemental draft.

hawaiiansteel
07-08-2019, 06:46 PM
Jalen Thompson works out for 26 teams
By Charean Williams | Jul 8, 2019, 5:51 PM EDT

Former Washington State safety Jalen Thompson worked out for 26 teams in Los Angeles on Monday, Tony Pauline of draftanalyst.com reports. The Texans sent their director of scouting.

Thompson and former West Virginia receiver Marcus Simms are expected to be drafted in Wednesday’s supplemental draft.

Thompson measured just over 5 feet, 10 inches and weighed 186 pounds with 8 3/8-inch hands and an arm strength of 31 1/4, according to Pauline. He had a 33 1/2 vertical and 40-yard dash times of 4.47 and 4.56, with a 4.16 in the short shuttle and a 6.98 in the three cone.

The Falcons ran Thompson’s position drills.

Thompson met with the Packers after his workout, and the Patriots, Rams, Dolphins, Colts and Cardinals also showed interest in him, per Pauline.

Thompson lost his final year of NCAA eligibility, prompting him to declare for the supplemental draft.

Former Syracuse linebacker Shyheim Cullen, former Saint Francis defensive back Bryant Perry and former junior college tight end Devonaire Clarington also have entered their names in the supplemental draft.

Steelers have never selected anyone in the supplemental draft.

Buzz
07-09-2019, 12:35 PM
Steelers have never selected anyone in the supplemental draft.

Could be a first time this year?

If so, hope they wouldn't spend too high a pick on him. I think he was regarded as about the equivalent of a 4th-round talent. If they could get him for a 5th or 6th rounder, I wouldn't be against taking a chance on this Thompson kid.

Northern_Blitz
07-09-2019, 12:44 PM
Dont know if Dangerfield is in Danger......I would love for him to become our first All Pro safety since Troy.
Not because I love the Steelers

Because he could have a better coverage tagline than "Revis Island"

Please get us 10 plus picks so we can call your coverage (or our secondary as a unit):

"The DANGER zone"

https://youtu.be/kUsFWO08CO0

RuthlessBurgher
07-09-2019, 12:45 PM
Could be a first time this year?

If so, hope they wouldn't spend too high a pick on him. I think he was regarded as about the equivalent of a 4th-round talent. If they could get him for a 5th or 6th rounder, I wouldn't be against taking a chance on this Thompson kid.

I think he's a 2nd-3rd round talent that we might be able to get by spending our 2020 4th round pick a year early, if we were so inclined. With Davis entering the final year of his rookie deal, I was surprised that we did not draft another safety, so this could be our mulligan on that.

RuthlessBurgher
07-10-2019, 02:01 PM
Cardinals take Jalen Thompson in supplemental draft

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 10, 2019, 1:53 PM EDT

Former Washington State safety Jalen Thompson is heading to Arizona.

Thompson was chosen by the Cardinals with a fifth-round pick in today’s supplemental draft, according to multiple reports.

A surprise entrant in the supplemental draft after the NCAA stripped him of his eligibility for testing positive for a banned substance, Thompson was viewed by many as a potential second-day pick next year, so getting him with a fifth-round pick seems like a good move. Although he is getting a late start, having missed all of the offseason, if he has a strong preseason he could contribute from Week One as a rookie.

Having used the pick today, the Cardinals now do not have that pick in the regular 2020 draft. (It isn’t currently known whether the Cardinals used their own fifth-round pick or the Dolphins’ fifth-round pick, which they acquired in the Josh Rosen trade.) But the team that had the first overall pick in the regular draft now thinks it has added another talented rookie to its 2019 roster.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/10/cardinals-take-jalen-thompson-in-supplemental-draft/

Oviedo
07-10-2019, 02:16 PM
Cardinals take Jalen Thompson in supplemental draft

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 10, 2019, 1:53 PM EDT

Former Washington State safety Jalen Thompson is heading to Arizona.

Thompson was chosen by the Cardinals with a fifth-round pick in today’s supplemental draft, according to multiple reports.

A surprise entrant in the supplemental draft after the NCAA stripped him of his eligibility for testing positive for a banned substance, Thompson was viewed by many as a potential second-day pick next year, so getting him with a fifth-round pick seems like a good move. Although he is getting a late start, having missed all of the offseason, if he has a strong preseason he could contribute from Week One as a rookie.

Having used the pick today, the Cardinals now do not have that pick in the regular 2020 draft. (It isn’t currently known whether the Cardinals used their own fifth-round pick or the Dolphins’ fifth-round pick, which they acquired in the Josh Rosen trade.) But the team that had the first overall pick in the regular draft now thinks it has added another talented rookie to its 2019 roster.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/10/cardinals-take-jalen-thompson-in-supplemental-draft/

The infamous "banned substance"

No thanks if he is that kinda guy. Good pass.

Oh wow
07-10-2019, 02:31 PM
The infamous "banned substance"

No thanks if he is that kinda guy. Good pass.

Hmm... the SB MVP was busted for a banned substance.

I don’t think it’s that big of a deal in football unless it was heroin.

Buzz
07-10-2019, 06:28 PM
Hmm... the SB MVP was busted for a banned substance.

I don’t think it’s that big of a deal in football unless it was heroin.

The "banned substance" wasn't heroin for Randy Gregory or Josh Gordon or Martavis Bryant ... but I'd say it's been kind of a big deal in all their cases. Kind of a big deal for the teams who couldn't count on them contributing for significant periods of time due to their use of the "banned substance."

RuthlessBurgher
07-10-2019, 08:24 PM
The "banned substance" wasn't heroin for Randy Gregory or Josh Gordon or Martavis Bryant ... but I'd say it's been kind of a big deal in all their cases. Kind of a big deal for the teams who couldn't count on them contributing for significant periods of time due to their use of the "banned substance."

Theo Lawson
@TheoLawson_SR

According to a source, #WSU's Jalen Thompson lost his final year of eligibility because he purchased an over the counter supplement at a nutrition store. The source made a point to emphasize it was not a steroid Thompson bought. Will gather more details as they become available.

7:09 PM - Jun 29, 2019

hawaiiansteel
07-13-2019, 01:28 AM
Hard-hitting Texas safety could become Steelers' camp surprise

By JIM WEXELL

He can play safety, cornerback, nickelback, even linebacker.

He reportedly ran a 4.38 40 and put up 22 reps at his pro day.

He made 31 starts and played in 38 games at a major power-five university.

He weighs 202 pounds at 5 feet 10.

He's a vocal team leader who left high school with a 3.85 GPA and graduated from college in three-and-a-half years.

He has a vision of helping his community.

And, he hits like this:

This player was surely drafted by the end of Day 2, right?

Wrong. The Steelers didn't draft P.J. Locke, didn't even sign the versatile defensive back from Texas until two days after the draft. And the Steelers are a team that has an opening in their safety corps.

Locke has been one of the competitors for that opening(s), along with Marcus Allen, Kameron Kelly and Dravon Askew-Henry.

The guy from Texas has a chance.

"It's been a smooth transition," Locke said during the final week of spring practice with the Steelers. "Feeling good being back at safety; really just getting down the plays and getting special teams right because I know that's how I make my mark, on special teams."

Locke was a mainstay on the punt team at Texas, with a minor on the kickoff team. On defense, he was the proverbial Swiss army knife.

"You're drafting six guys in one," Locke told the Beaumont Enterprise.

Beaumont is his hometown in Texas, where he was raised by a former defensive back at Oklahoma State, James Locke, who's now a constable, and a former Lamar University point guard, Ramona Locke, who's a teacher.

They raised the two-time All-State defender who made the honor roll all four years at Central High. Locke changed his mind about attending Oregon just before signing day and stayed home at Texas. He so impressed new coach Tom Herman that Herman called Locke's parents "to personally thank them for sending us a marvelous human being."

At Texas, Locke made his first start against Baylor and knocked quarterback Chris Johnson out of the game and caused a fumble all in one fell swoop.

Locke made nine starts his sophomore season, and once again his big game was against Baylor. He intercepted his first pass and recovered a fumble.

"I made my mark against Baylor. I did," Locke said. "And that year Baylor was pretty good. I think they were top 10. So we beat them and messed up their hopes and dreams. At that point I kind of locked in that nickel spot."

As a junior, Locke was named a team captain, but only made eight starts because of a sports hernia. He returned with his best season in 2018 with 13 starts, 77 tackles, two forced fumbles and an interception in the Sugar Bowl against Georgia, which had trailed Texas at halftime 20-7 and recovered an onside kick to open the second half. Four plays later, though, Locke ended more hopes and dreams with an interception of a deep Jake Fromm pass intended for Riley Ridley.

"It was a turning point," Locke said of a play that loomed large in Texas' 28-21 win as a double-digit underdog. "Our team just prepared like crazy. We prepared like no other. We were definitely the underdog in that game."

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Article/Pittsburgh-Steelers-have-an-opening-for-a-player-and-person-like-PJ-Locke-133605829/

Oh wow
07-13-2019, 07:37 AM

I think it’s best to find out what it was before writing him off

Buzz
07-13-2019, 03:54 PM
I think it’s best to find out what it was before writing him off

Agreed. But for you to say it's not a big deal unless it's heroin ... I was just pointing out that there have been other drugs used that have resulted in some pretty significant problems for players and their teams.

Steel Maniac
07-14-2019, 12:31 AM
Hard-hitting Texas safety could become Steelers' camp surprise

By JIM WEXELL

He can play safety, cornerback, nickelback, even linebacker.

He reportedly ran a 4.38 40 and put up 22 reps at his pro day.

He made 31 starts and played in 38 games at a major power-five university.

He weighs 202 pounds at 5 feet 10.

He's a vocal team leader who left high school with a 3.85 GPA and graduated from college in three-and-a-half years.

He has a vision of helping his community.

And, he hits like this:

This player was surely drafted by the end of Day 2, right?

Wrong. The Steelers didn't draft P.J. Locke, didn't even sign the versatile defensive back from Texas until two days after the draft. And the Steelers are a team that has an opening in their safety corps.

Locke has been one of the competitors for that opening(s), along with Marcus Allen, Kameron Kelly and Dravon Askew-Henry.

The guy from Texas has a chance.

"It's been a smooth transition," Locke said during the final week of spring practice with the Steelers. "Feeling good being back at safety; really just getting down the plays and getting special teams right because I know that's how I make my mark, on special teams."

Locke was a mainstay on the punt team at Texas, with a minor on the kickoff team. On defense, he was the proverbial Swiss army knife.

"You're drafting six guys in one," Locke told the Beaumont Enterprise.

Beaumont is his hometown in Texas, where he was raised by a former defensive back at Oklahoma State, James Locke, who's now a constable, and a former Lamar University point guard, Ramona Locke, who's a teacher.

They raised the two-time All-State defender who made the honor roll all four years at Central High. Locke changed his mind about attending Oregon just before signing day and stayed home at Texas. He so impressed new coach Tom Herman that Herman called Locke's parents "to personally thank them for sending us a marvelous human being."

At Texas, Locke made his first start against Baylor and knocked quarterback Chris Johnson out of the game and caused a fumble all in one fell swoop.

Locke made nine starts his sophomore season, and once again his big game was against Baylor. He intercepted his first pass and recovered a fumble.

"I made my mark against Baylor. I did," Locke said. "And that year Baylor was pretty good. I think they were top 10. So we beat them and messed up their hopes and dreams. At that point I kind of locked in that nickel spot."

As a junior, Locke was named a team captain, but only made eight starts because of a sports hernia. He returned with his best season in 2018 with 13 starts, 77 tackles, two forced fumbles and an interception in the Sugar Bowl against Georgia, which had trailed Texas at halftime 20-7 and recovered an onside kick to open the second half. Four plays later, though, Locke ended more hopes and dreams with an interception of a deep Jake Fromm pass intended for Riley Ridley.

"It was a turning point," Locke said of a play that loomed large in Texas' 28-21 win as a double-digit underdog. "Our team just prepared like crazy. We prepared like no other. We were definitely the underdog in that game."

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Article/Pittsburgh-Steelers-have-an-opening-for-a-player-and-person-like-PJ-Locke-133605829/

He’s got all the tools; I would really like for him to pan out.

hawaiiansteel
07-28-2019, 01:49 AM
Kameron Kelly picks off Dobbs:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EAg9_pBXUAEILUU.jpg

hawaiiansteel
07-28-2019, 07:00 PM
Updated: Steelers S Sean Davis Exited Sunday’s Padded Practice Early With Finger Injury

By Dave Bryan
Posted on July 28, 2019

The Pittsburgh Steelers first padded training camp practice of 2019 is now over and safety Sean Davis had to leave that session after apparently suffering a finger injury of some sort.

Davis, who is now in the final year of his rookie contract, was reportedly seen by several fans leaving Chuck Noll Field at Saint Vincent College Sunday afternoon while holding his right hand. After Davis left the field backup defensive back Kameron Kelly replaced him at free safety, according to our own Alex Kozora.

After practice ended, Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin announced that Davis had suffered a finger injury and that it is currently being evaluated. Tomlin guessed that the injury might be a dislocation..

This is the second-year at free safety safety for Davis, who registered 80 total tackles, 7 pass breakups and an interception last season. Davis also led the Steelers in total defensive snaps played last season.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/07/steelers-s-sean-davis-exits-sundays-padded-practice-early-with-apparent-injury/

Oh wow
07-28-2019, 07:52 PM
Agreed. But for you to say it's not a big deal unless it's heroin ... I was just pointing out that there have been other drugs used that have resulted in some pretty significant problems for players and their teams.

That was sarcasm. My point is unless it’s the 3rd or 4th violation it’s best to find out what it was for before writing a player off.

Tate was just suspended 4 games for using a fertility drug. He and his wife are trying to have a baby. You never know what a player is suspended for so it’s best to find out before acting like a player has an addiction.

Captain Lemming
07-28-2019, 10:18 PM
Kameron Kelly picks off Dobbs:

When Dobbs is in it seems every corner looks like Woodson, every safety the next Troy. :)

Steel Maniac
07-28-2019, 11:47 PM
Not a good picture going forward is it??

hawaiiansteel
07-30-2019, 05:15 PM
Keith Butler Says Steelers Still Searching For A #3 Safety

By Alex Kozora
Posted on July 30, 2019

Exiting this year’s draft, there were two positions the Pittsburgh Steelers still felt a bit weak at. Tight end and safety. At least the team selected the former, taking Zach Gentry in the 5th round, while ignoring the latter, proving to be one of the draft’s biggest surprises.

So it’s no shock to hear Keith Butler admit they’re still searching for safety depth. The answer? Throw a lot at the wall and see what sticks.

“To me, I think we’ve got to find a very reliable third safety,” Butler said in a recent interview with Steelers Nation Radio,” because it’s going to mean something to us because, you know, quarterbacks in this league are going to be reading safeties anyway and trying to find out what we call the post safety is. If they can find out who that guy is and for most people on defenses, it’s easier for them to read.”

Kameron Kelly has been the backup free safety, elevated to a starting role after Sean Davis was sidelined by a finger injury, but Butler said they’ll explore other options too.

“I mean, we’re gonna move Steve Nelson around, let him play a little nickel and stuff like that. We might take [Hilton] and put him back at safety a little bit, too, and see what he looks like. So, we’re looking and seeing what we got and seeing how many DBs we’re going to keep and all that stuff.”

It sounds like Steven Nelson will play some slot corner, allowing Mike Hilton to get a few reps at safety. He logged a few snaps last training camp but aside from one or two snaps in the regular season, has always played his slot corner role. He did, however, play some free safety while at Ole Miss. Still, that’s not a great solution, shifting players away from their best positions, and figures to be used on an “emergency” basis as it was last season.

Jordan Dangerfield is the only backup free safety on the roster with NFL experience in that spot. He’s been running third team and never had a strong grasp on a roster spot, putting him squarely on the bubble and for the moment, perhaps outside of it.

There is another option. The team could always go outside the organization to add talent. If there’s one position they could address via trade, it’s probably safety, even moreso than tight end. Kevin Colbert is as active as any GM in the league during the month of August, making ten trades since 2015, and the team could be on the prowl for an 11th deal, especially if guys like Kelly don’t play well in games. We’ll make up a list of possible names later on in the preseason.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/07/keith-butler-says-steelers-still-searching-for-a-3-safety/

pittpete
07-30-2019, 07:31 PM
Did we just clear up cap space to sign a safety?

hawaiiansteel
07-30-2019, 07:50 PM
Did we just clear up cap space to sign a safety?

perhaps, but I'm guessing we're going to use that $$$ to sign Haden to a contract extension.

Buzz
07-30-2019, 08:23 PM
Deficiencies at safety were obvious coming out of last season, yet the Steelers did little to address them in the draft/FA. Be nice if one of the somebody on the roster can step up. If not, it could be a weakness that comes back to bite us hard this year.

pittpete
07-30-2019, 09:20 PM
perhaps, but I'm guessing we're going to use that $$$ to sign Haden to a contract extension.

Im pretty sure if we give Haden an extension it will probably clear up some of his cap hit this year

hawaiiansteel
07-30-2019, 09:26 PM
Im pretty sure if we give Haden an extension it will probably clear up some of his cap hit this year

very good point...

Northern_Blitz
07-31-2019, 05:16 AM

Maybe Hargrave too?

Mr.wizard
07-31-2019, 06:59 AM
I think Edmunds is pretty dynamic and I believe he will turn some heads this season.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
07-31-2019, 04:45 PM

Exactly. Haden is currently on the books for just under $12M for this season. No extension will increase that number and would likely be used to decrease it.

Oviedo
07-31-2019, 08:58 PM
Any word on the rookie safeties...PJ Locke or the kid from WVa?

Eddie Spaghetti
07-31-2019, 09:11 PM
the kameron Kelley guy from the aaf seems to be making a name for himself

cpuld be a diamond in the rough

hawaiiansteel
07-31-2019, 09:55 PM
Any word on the rookie safeties...PJ Locke or the kid from WVa?

PJ Locke is currently listed 3rd on the Steelers depth chart and Dravon Askew-Henry 4th behind Terrell Edmunds and Marcus Allen.

both will have to play very well in preseason games in order to make the 53 man roster. a spot on the practice squad is probably much more realistic.

Steel Maniac
08-01-2019, 08:26 AM
For me, my microscope is on edmonds. We need to see the jump this year if he's playing major snaps. If he isn't who Tomlin/Colbert envisioned him to be this year, gonna be more of the same in that secondary.

Steel Maniac
08-01-2019, 08:29 AM
https://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/31040/everybody-can-run-steelers-defense-chases-greatness-with-speed

Nice read.

hawaiiansteel
08-01-2019, 03:31 PM
With a year under his belt, Terrell Edmunds is ready to be a playmaker for the Steelers

The Steelers’ 2018 first round draft pick is ready to make a difference in the secondary.

By Jeff.Hartman
Aug 1, 2019

If you have a good memory, I want you to think about the first time you walked into a new school, or even just your freshman year in High School. The nervousness of not really knowing what was awaiting you ahead.

Sure, you had been to school before, but not this...not High School. You went from the high man on the totem pole to the lowest in a matter of days. You were unsure about everything you once knew so well. Where at one time everything was so comfortable, now you found yourself almost second-guessing yourself.

I would image this is the same situation for a player who was drafted from NCAA football into the NFL. And this is the same situation Terrell Edmunds found himself in after he was the Pittsburgh Steelers’ top draft pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.

For Edmunds, his rookie season wasn’t supposed to turn into being the iron man on the defense, but was supposed to be spot playing and learning behind Morgan Burnett. However, Burnett’s inability to stay healthy resulted in Edmunds being thrown into the fire earlier than planned, and teaching him some very valuable lessons along the way.

“Everything is a learning process, so last year I was coming in and learning a new system, learning how (Mike Tomlin) coaches and adjusting to the way he coaches and adjusting to the NFL at the same time,” Edmunds told Kevin Gorman of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “You’ve just got to keep on working. Now that I’ve got that under my belt and have that experience of going on the field and making those good plays and those bad plays, it just comes easier.”

Edmunds is certainly approaching that sophomore season where things are comfortable again. There are no surprises, just go out and do what you’ve always done — play football.

“Really, it’s just now you know what to expect,” Edmunds said. “You’ve been through it. You know the playbook better. It’s not so much a process of learning and playing. It’s more that you react to what you see, so now I’m just going out there and playing.”

To Steelers fans, this should be the best news you hear regarding Edmunds in 2019. Edmunds is an instinctive player, and this was evident when watching his Virginia Tech film, but last season you saw him almost second guessing himself. Unsure of his responsibilities and assignments, it slowed him down on the field.

The result? Bad angles, missed opportunities and blown assignments. But this year, his second alongside Sean Davis, should be different — in a good way.

“This is not their first lap around the track,” Mike Tomlin said after a recent training camp practice. “From an assignment standpoint, they got a better understanding of what they’re being asked to do. They’re not learning for the first time. They got a sense from a conditioning standpoint the rigors of this process, so they come into it with more trained professional bodies.”

Mike Tomlin didn’t just acknowledge Edmunds as a second year player who is looking to amplify his presence on the field, but as a player who spent the offseason improving himself and coming into camp in phenomenal physical condition.

“He’s highly conditioned. I think that was the one thing we learned about him, and that was a unique thing for a guy in his position,” Tomlin said. “To be able to play the number of snaps he was able to play and have that level of availability was a unique thing then. It is reasonable to expect that to be a unique springboard to him ascending continually.”

With all this positive talk, you might wonder if Edmunds is just going to coast and hope for the best in 2019. Think again, Edmunds knows all about how progression is the key to survival in the NFL.

“I’ve just got to keep doing what I’ve been doing and play the game that I know how to play, just ‘do me,’ you could say,” Edmunds said. “It’s going to come with time. The more plays you get under your belt, the more experiences you’ve put yourself into, the more stuff that you can do.

“You’ve got to keep on progressing from season to season. I can’t be the same guy as last year because that would be a down year for me, I’d say.”

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/8/1/20749248/with-a-year-under-his-belt-terrell-edmunds-is-ready-to-be-a-playmaker-for-the-steelers-nfl-news

hawaiiansteel
08-03-2019, 03:16 PM
Steelers’ Hilton Adjusting to Time at Safety

Pittsburgh cornerback willing to be as versatile as possible

JOSH ROWNTREE
AUGUST 03, 2019

NFL coaches look for versatility among young players. The ability to play multiple positions, help on special teams and show that you can contribute in as many ways as possible is key.

But, for more established players, changes can be hard to come by. And that is where Mike Hilton stands at the moment.

The Steelers’ slot corner, who emerged as a reliable member of the secondary in 2017 and followed it up with a respectable 2018, has been getting work at free safety during training camp.

“I feel good out there,” Hilton said. “I’ve been in position to make plays and I feel like I’ve made those plays. I’ve also been able to show my versatility in moving to free safety. I’m trying to make myself as valuable as possible.

Opportuity to show what he can do at free safety is there, as starter Sean Davis has missed time with injury. But moving to a position he has not played yet in the NFL has a learning curve, even if Hilton did spend time at safety while at Ole Miss.

“I’m still in the process of getting it down,” he said. “I don’t get as many reps as I’m sure they want me to but, when I go out there, I show that I’m able to communicate back there and make plays.”

Hilton has been, for the most part, one of the most reliable tacklers on Pittsburgh’s roster over the last two seasons. Despite his small frame, at 5-foot-9, Hilton thinks his game can translate to the back end of the secondary.

“You’re that last line of defense,” he said. “You’ve got to get in position to make that tackle or slow them down so our guys can chase them and make the tackle. Personally, I feel that’s one of my strong suits.”

The Steelers intercepted just eight passes in 2018, good for 28th in the NFL. So, coming into spring practices and camp, there were adjustments to be made. There was also a general acknowledgement that, in order to be a top tier defense, that had to change.

“We’re getting our hands on a lot of balls, getting a lot of turnovers, strips, just finding ways to get our offense the ball,” Hilton said. “We know that’s something we struggled with last year and we feel like, if we get a lot more of those this year, we’ll be in better position to win games.”

Hilton is in an interesting spot. He will play this season, in all likelihood, on a one-year exclusive rights free agent tender that he signed on arrival day in Latrobe. It carries a value of $645,000. A good year could mean an extension, which Hilton wants, and big payday for the former undrafted free agent. If he struggles, especially while being thrown in to a new role, the financials could take a hit.

For now though, Hilton is ready to show what he can do on the field, starting with Friday’s preseason opener against Tampa.

“It’s fun being out here against your own guys, but when you get time to really go against somebody else, that’s when that anxiousness and energy really starts to pick up.”

Where he lines up, however, is still to be seen.

https://937thefan.radio.com/articles/steelers-hilton-adjusting-time-safety

Steel Maniac
08-03-2019, 03:21 PM
Why don't we try and put Cam at safety as well? Hell, lets put Tuitt at cornerback and have Haden come down and play the D-line.

hawaiiansteel
08-06-2019, 02:30 PM
Where could the Steelers look to upgrade via trade?

RAY FITTIPALDO
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
AUG 6, 2019

One of the most important jobs of a general manager during the NFL salary cap era is finding players from other rosters during August and September to help strengthen their 53-man rosters. More than half of the Steelers’ salary cap is tied up in their 10 highest-paid players. That means GM Kevin Colbert has to get creative when it comes to filling in holes on his roster.

Colbert and his staff try to build depth during the winter by signing free agents and again in the spring through the draft and more undrafted free agents from the college ranks. But it’s nearly impossible to create quality depth with young players that have no or limited NFL playing experience. Sometimes, it’s necessary to bring in a veteran player to bolster depth at positions of need.

And Colbert hasn’t been shy about upgrading the roster through trades in recent years. Since 2015, he has made 10 trades in August or early September in an effort to improve the team.

In 2015, Colbert traded a fifth-round pick to Philadelphia for cornerback Brandon Boykin, who served as the slot corner for most of that season.

In 2016, Colbert once again tried to improve his secondary when he traded a sixth-round pick to Cleveland for cornerback Justin Gilbert.

The next summer was Colbert’s busiest. He made five trades in the span of 12 days and also signed cornerback Joe Haden, who was released by Cleveland. The most significant trade that summer brought tight end Vance McDonald and a fifth-round pick from San Francisco for a fourth-round pick.

Last summer, unhappy with his depth at receiver and in the return game, Colbert dealt a fifth-round pick to Oakland for Ryan Switzer.

Only one of those trades (Boykin) came early in training camp. The others took place in late August or early September. This is why the next few weeks are an important time for young players trying to earn their way onto the roster.

Colbert and the coaches are watching. The first preseason game is Friday night against Tampa Bay at Heinz Field. Only six practices remain at Saint Vincent College.

The opportunities are dwindling for young players to make an impression, especially those at positions where the Steelers lack depth.

Here are the positions Colbert could look to upgrade:

Tight end: When asked last week about the competition at tight end and whether anyone was standing out, head coach Mike Tomlin said: “I like Vance McDonald, but you guys know that.” That’s not exactly an endorsement for veteran Xavier Grimble and rookie Zach Gentry. McDonald is the starter and projects to be a big part of the offense, but Grimble and Gentry need to prove they can handle the workload as reserves. Grimble has been on the roster since 2016, but he has never been anything other than the third tight end. He’s vying to be the top backup to McDonald now after Jesse James signed as a free agent in Detroit. Grimble has been a reliable player for the Steelers. Since 2016, he’s played in 44 of a possible 48 games, including all 16 last season. But he’s not a lock to earn the backup job. The Steelers love to use two-tight end formations and Grimble has to show he’s ready to play more than he ever has. Gentry, the third pick of the fifth round, is still learning how to play tight end after beginning his college career at Michigan as a quarterback. James, a fifth-round pick in 2015, didn’t dress for his NFL game until November of his rookie season. It’s probably not fair to expect much more from Gentry. Kevin Rader, Trevor Wood and Christian Scotland-Williamson are better candidates for the practice squad than the 53-man roster.

Safety: Sean Davis’ finger injury has allowed the coaches to take a long look at Kameron Kelly, who has been taking the first-team reps at free safety in Davis’ absence. Defensive backs coach Teryl Austin said there has been “good and bad” with Kelly and the other young safeties, such as P.J. Locke and Dravon Askew-Henry, who have been getting second- and third-team reps. Jordan Dangerfield made the 53-man roster last year as a reserve safety, and he’s likely to make the team again because he’s a good special teams player. Kelly and the others will get plenty of opportunities during the preseason games to make the team, but none of them have played in an NFL game. That could be problematic for the Steelers if Davis suffers an injury during the regular season.

Punter: The place-kicking competition between Chris Boswell and Matthew Wright has garnered most of the attention in camp, but Jordan Berry and Ian Berryman have been staging their own punting competition, as well. It was only four years ago that Colbert flipped Brad Wing to the Giants for a seventh-round pick in favor of keeping Berry. Wing had been the incumbent starter. If Berry and Berryman aren’t good over the next few weeks, Colbert could be looking to strike a deal with a team that is stocked with punter depth.

Injuries could create other needs in the coming weeks, but the Steelers are deep at offensive line and receiver and appear to have adequate depth at linebacker and on the defensive line.

Right now, Colbert has six picks in next year’s draft because he traded a 2020 third-round pick as part of the deal to land Devin Bush in the draft. However, Colbert has been on record saying he expects to recoup a draft pick with a compensatory pick (likely in the third round) for losing Le’Veon Bell as a free agent. That would leave him with seven picks, which is more than enough to make a deal if the need arises.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2019/08/06/Steelers-GM-Kevin-Colbert-trades-Vance-McDonald-Ryan-Switzer-Xavier-Grimble-Zach-Gentry/stories/201908050063

RuthlessBurgher
08-07-2019, 12:13 PM
Steelers safety Sean Davis has “open wound” on hand

Posted by Darin Gantt on August 7, 2019, 12:01 PM EDT

Steelers safety Sean Davis has missed over a week of practice with what was termed a finger injury.

It’s hardly a small thing, however.

Via the team’s official website, coach Mike Tomlin said Davis had an “open wound” on the hand, which has kept him out of practice.

When Davis was initially injured during their first padded practice, Tomlin said it was “Maybe a dislocation.” Obviously it was a little more involved than that.

The former college cornerback at Maryland moved to safety in the NFL, and started 40 games in his three seasons.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/07/steelers-safety-sean-davis-has-open-wound-on-hand/

NorthCoast
08-07-2019, 12:45 PM
That could turn into some scary stuff for Davis. Infection could knock him down for weeks.

RuthlessBurgher
08-19-2019, 11:31 AM
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

Steelers safety Terrell Edmunds called the defense against the Chiefs ‘a short-term preview of the type of heat we're trying to bring all season.” Pittsburgh held Patrick Mahomes to 2-of-5 passing for 11 yards in two series. The Steelers knew the Chiefs wouldn't get too creative on offense, but the defense feels healthy and confident.

19h

RuthlessBurgher
08-30-2019, 03:13 PM
Broncos cut Su’a Cravens

Posted by Mike Florio on August 30, 2019, 1:48 PM EDT

Su'a Cravens has reached the end of the road in Denver.

PFT has confirmed that Cravens has been included in the first wave of Broncos roster cuts. A 2016 second-round pick in Washington, Denver acquired him last year via a complicated trade that basically boiled down to a fifth-round pick and change.

Cravens appeared in five games last season after starting the year on injured reserve. In 2017, he landed on the reserve/left squad list after leaving the team, contemplating retirement, and then planning to return before being shut down for the year.

As a rookie, Cravens appeared in 11 games with three starts. He had concussion issues as a rookie. This year, he started three of five preseason games for the Broncos.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/30/broncos-cut-sua-cravens/

RuthlessBurgher
08-30-2019, 03:54 PM
Cowboys early cuts include Darius Jackson, George Iloka

Posted by Charean Williams on August 30, 2019, 3:45 PM EDT

The Cowboys list Darius Jackson as the starting running back. He isn’t and won’t be.

The Cowboys made Jackson among their early cuts, according to Jon Machota of TheAthletic.com.

Rookie Tony Pollard will start until Ezekiel Elliott returns from his contract holdout. The Cowboys also drafted Mike Weber, and they signed veteran Alfred Morris.

The Cowboys also have cut receiver Reggie Davis, linebacker Justin Phillips, safety George Iloka, safety Jameill Showers, offensive tackle Jake Campos, tight end Marcus Lucas, tight end Codey McElroy and kicker Kasey Redfern, per Machota.

The Cowboys signed Iloka in the offseason, hoping he would beat out Jeff Heath. He didn’t, so the Cowboys have moved on.

Iloka, 29, has 79 career starts in seven seasons, although only three came with the Vikings last season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/30/cowboys-early-cuts-include-darius-jackson-george-iloka/

Eich
08-30-2019, 04:24 PM
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

Steelers safety Terrell Edmunds called the defense against the Chiefs ‘a short-term preview of the type of heat we're trying to bring all season.” Pittsburgh held Patrick Mahomes to 2-of-5 passing for 11 yards in two series. The Steelers knew the Chiefs wouldn't get too creative on offense, but the defense feels healthy and confident.

19h

I wanna see it against the cheaters. Tight coverage and harassing Marcia. I'll be ill if we let him pick us apart with time in the pocket and playing 10 yards off of receivers.

Steel Maniac
08-30-2019, 07:59 PM
If we come out playing 10 yard cushion defense on the Wr, then I’ll know how much of a farce this whole off season of defensive prep really was.

Captain Lemming
08-30-2019, 09:41 PM
If we come out playing 10 yard cushion defense on the Wr, then I’ll know how much of a farce this whole off season of defensive prep really was.

We did just what you want to see the last time we played and you were just dismissive of it. The Pat's were just bad. No credit whatsoever for a sweet defensive game plan.

Pat's scored 10 points, the lowest of the season.

It doesn't matter what happens, if we win it means the Pats were bad, meaningless unless it is a playoff. If we lose IN FOXBORRO it is terrible coaching.

AzStillers1989
08-30-2019, 10:05 PM
We did just what you want to see the last time we played and you were just dismissive of it. The Pat's were just bad. No credit whatsoever for a sweet defensive game plan.

It doesn't matter what happens, if we win it means the Pats were bad, meaningless unless it is a playoff. If we lose IN FOXBORRO it is terrible coaching.

This is comedy. I love it by the way hahaha.

because its cynical with shades of sarcasm.

Steel Maniac
08-30-2019, 11:02 PM

Uh you’ve got me confused with someone else. Where was i dismissive of our last win over the pats? You been drinking my friend?

I’m happy we beat those bastards but I’m focused on the up coming game. Different Pats team we are facing now. Gordon is on board along with two other Wr’s so different dynamic now.

AzStillers1989
08-30-2019, 11:53 PM
You been drinking my friend?

Ooh, so judgmental lol

:Beer:Beer:Beer:Beer:tt2

Captain Lemming
08-31-2019, 04:09 PM
Uh you’ve got me confused with someone else. Where was i dismissive of our last win over the pats? You been drinking my friend?

Been drinking TRUTH SERUM my friend....you need to take swig to bring your memory back. :)

You gonna make me work to prove yet again, that my recall is on point?
I’ve got a ctrl/v on my keyboard.....and I ain’t afraid to PASTE. :)

I’m happy we beat those bastards but I’m focused on the up coming game. Different Pats team we are facing now. Gordon is on board along with two other Wr’s so different dynamic now.

You were “happy” to win back then too. Just too stubborn to give the coaches their deserved credit for doing EXACTLY what you suggest here.

Agreed btw on the greater challenge this set of receivers create. If you recall I bet squid we’d win last time......not feeling it this time.

Captain Lemming
08-31-2019, 04:47 PM
I repeat:

“You gonna make me work to prove yet again, that my recall is on point?

You were “happy” to win back then too. Just too stubborn to give the coaches their deserved credit for doing EXACTLY what you suggest here.”

Brady is in decline. We’ve all seen it over the last 7 weeks. That’s why Tomlin’s plan A worked. Glad the losing streak to them is over. I was tired being the Patriots b!tch.

Brady really is on a rapid decline. He screwed the patriots franchise forcing Jimmy G out last year on a power play move with Kraft. Good to know the window is closing on the Pats.

Buzz
09-09-2019, 09:18 AM
Safety play well below the line vs. Patriots. I know Davis was out, and it was Kelly's first game, but Edmunds was pretty sucky, too.

Still think we needed to try to upgrade at safety through the draft or FA.

Steel Maniac
09-09-2019, 09:42 AM
I repeat:

“You gonna make me work to prove yet again, that my recall is on point?

You were “happy” to win back then too. Just too stubborn to give the coaches their deserved credit for doing EXACTLY what you suggest here.”

Well, guess what??? I guess Brady isn't on that much of a decline huh?? And Like you posted of mine, there is a different dynamic with Gordon and now Brown on board. We were the worst team in the league on opening day. Why? Because we showed NO FIGHT!! Even the Dolphins put up a TD late to save some pride. We gave up and took a " we don't want to get shut out" field goal. It was the most embarrassing loss...even more so then the Jags playoff loss; because atleast we fought in that game.

Steel Maniac
09-09-2019, 09:44 AM
Safety play well below the line vs. Patriots. I know Davis was out, and it was Kelly's first game, but Edmunds was pretty sucky, too.

Still think we needed to try to upgrade at safety through the draft or FA.

Edmonds?? You mean that first round selection of 2018 draft?? He was murdered out there. Murdered; over and over again.

RuthlessBurgher
09-09-2019, 03:56 PM
Mike Reiss
ESPN Staff Writer

The Patriots are waiving safety Obi Melifonwu to make room for wide receiver Antonio Brown on the 53-man roster, a source tells ESPN's Field Yates. Melifonwu, who had been limited in practice all week with an ankle injury, was inactive for Sunday night's victory. Also, the club is releasing veteran TE Lance Kendricks, who was suspended for the first week of the season and didn't count against the 53-man roster during that time.

26m

RuthlessBurgher
09-30-2019, 02:27 PM
Cardinals release D.J. Swearinger

Posted by Josh Alper on September 30, 2019, 2:15 PM EDT

Cardinals head coach Kliff Kingsbury said after Sunday’s loss to the Seahawks that there’s “nobody coming in that locker room to save us” after an 0-3-1 start to the season.

It seems that they are willing to cast some players out of that locker room in hopes of finding better results in the weeks to come. According to multiple reports, the Cardinals have released veteran safety D.J. Swearinger.

Swearinger played every snap on defense over the first three games of the season and played all but one snap against Seattle. He had 17 tackles. Fifth-round pick Deionte Thompson is the only safety other than Swearinger and Budda Baker to see time on defense, so he will likely take over the starting role.

Swearinger was claimed off of waivers by the Cardinals last December after Washington cut him loose. He also played with the team in 2015 and 2016 as part of a career that’s also featured stints with the Texans and Buccaneers.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/30/cardinals-release-d-j-swearinger/

whatever
09-30-2019, 02:51 PM
Cardinals release D.J. Swearinger

Posted by Josh Alper on September 30, 2019, 2:15 PM EDT

Cardinals head coach Kliff Kingsbury said after Sunday’s loss to the Seahawks that there’s “nobody coming in that locker room to save us” after an 0-3-1 start to the season.

It seems that they are willing to cast some players out of that locker room in hopes of finding better results in the weeks to come. According to multiple reports, the Cardinals have released veteran safety D.J. Swearinger.

Swearinger played every snap on defense over the first three games of the season and played all but one snap against Seattle. He had 17 tackles. Fifth-round pick Deionte Thompson is the only safety other than Swearinger and Budda Baker to see time on defense, so he will likely take over the starting role.

Swearinger was claimed off of waivers by the Cardinals last December after Washington cut him loose. He also played with the team in 2015 and 2016 as part of a career that’s also featured stints with the Texans and Buccaneers.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/30/cardinals-release-d-j-swearinger/

Pass. Too expensive and isn't a 1st rounder

steelz09
09-30-2019, 03:38 PM
Pass. He went to South Carolina and isn't a "Virginia Guy".