PDA

View Full Version : Draft Grades according to Sporting News

Steel Maniac
04-27-2019, 11:17 PM
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-draft-grades-2019-ranking-all-32-teams-from-best-to-worst/1pqhsk47qnec41r8r40730hj70

SidSmythe
04-27-2019, 11:32 PM
Don't believe in draft grades meaning much until 2 or 3 yrs down the road.....however at this point i couldn't give the Steelers an A-
The 1 position they needed immediately was TE and they didn't get anyone who will make an impact in 2019.

However 2 or 3 yrs from now we may be watching 4 or 5 guys making large to very large contributions to the team.

fordfixer
04-27-2019, 11:38 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers

Draft picks: Michigan LB Devin Bush(No. 10 overall); Toledo WR Diontae Johnson (No. 66); Michigan State CB Justin Layne (No. 83); Kentucky RB Benny Snell (No. 122); Michigan TE Zach Gentry (No. 141); Northern Illinois Edge Sutton Smith (No. 175); Alabama DT Isaiah Buggs (No. 192); Akron LB Ulysees Gilbert (No. 207); Maryland OT Derwin Gray (No. 219)
Day 1 grade: A-
Day 2 grade: A-
Day 3 grade: B
Overall grade: A-
Draft analysis: I was so happy to see two inside linebackers go in the top 10 picks. Bush is worthy of that investment, as he moves like a safety and pounds ball-carriers with impunity. The picks they parted with to move up in the deal with the Broncos (https://amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001027756/article/2019-nfl-draft-trade-tracker-details-of-all-the-moves?remove_shell&type=ios&aid=2A8CFB2785013725-4000011560054228&mcid=08208672914597932273713141024845781165&reportSuite=nflmobilephoneapp&siteSubsection=featured&optimizedFor=AMP) -- Pittsburgh sent them a 2019 second-round pick (No. 52) and 2020 third-rounder -- isn't a ridiculous price to pay, but the Steelerscould have found a much-needed corner had they stayed at No. 20 and a starting inside 'backer in the second round (or later).

Pittsburgh hopes it found another steal at receiver by picking up Johnson, who has the toughness, hands and quickness to excel. He may have been available later in the draft, but honestly, how can I doubt GM Kevin Colbert's call on a receiver? Layne was a typical Colbert-like value in the third round, and he'll quickly earn playing time.

Snell is another powerful runner who will continue to pound defenses when James Conner and Jaylen Samuelsaren't in the game. Gentry could become a player in time, though there were four or five other tight ends available with higher grades. The team hopes Gray can eventually take over the right tackle spot.

Steel Maniac
04-28-2019, 01:41 AM
I find it hilarious how if you agree with the Black & gold glasses wearers, your fine. But if you don’t, the black & gold glasses wearers call others “ buttercup” or they discredit the people who are not in lock step with them by posting long Soliloquies stating if you don’t agree with the scouts on the Steelers, then you don’t know what your talking about. :rolleyes:

These same scouts selected Limas Sweed, Markus Wheaton, Artie Burns, Jarvis Jones , Sean Davis, Cameron Sutton just to name a few. So scouts and coaches can be wrong and questioned.

Time will tell who will and won’t pan out but people should have a right to voice their opinion regardless.

hawaiiansteel
04-28-2019, 08:52 PM
PFF Awards Steelers Best Draft Grade In AFC North At ‘Above Average’

By Matthew Marczi
Posted on April 28, 2019

For as much flak as you all love to give Pro Football Focus, perhaps you might appreciate this: the site gave the Pittsburgh Steelers a rating of ‘above average’ for their 2019 NFL Draft class. They handed out only five or six ‘excellent’ ratings, and they tended to go to the teams who had premium prospects fall into their laps, while the Steelers had to move up to get theirs.

And every other team in the AFC North received only an ‘average’ grade for their selections. Broken down by day, here is what they had to see about each installment of the draft as it relates to the Steelers’ activity.

“The Steelers had to give up picks Nos. 20 and 52 in the 2019 NFL Draft and a third-rounder in the 2020 NFL Draft to get him, but former Michigan off-ball linebacker Devin Bush has a very good chance to be worth the extra draft capital if he can bring his play in Ann Arbor to Pittsburgh”, they wrote of the team’s first-round pick, Devin Bush.

“He is a freakishly athletic linebacker with outstanding coverage and pass-rushing ability compared to his peers in this year’s class”, they went on. “He’s also a tone-setter on the defensive side of the ball who craves contact and knows how to lay the boom. He also earned 90.2 and 85.0 overall grades in 2017 and 2018, respectively”.

The Steelers ended up with only two picks on day two, and used them on wide receiver Diontae Johnson and cornerback Justin Layne. Of the former, Johnson was called “a favorite of practically everyone at the PFF offices”, describing him as “a superb route runner that will be a nightmare” to cover. On Layne, they called him “quite a steal” and noted he had among the best coverage grades of Power-5 players last season.

They singled out Sutton Smith and Isaiah Buggs for comment of the Steelers’ six selections on the third day of the draft, noting that Smith “should make the transition to off-ball linebacker and bring pass-rush upside in the NFL”. He recorded the second-most pressures in the FBS last season by their reckoning.

On Buggs, who played a larger role in Alabama’s defense in 2018 because of injuries, they said that the increased workload lowered his overall performance. He particularly graded better as a run defender in 2017 than a season ago. But he did have nearly 10 sacks last year, something the Steelers need off the bench from their front line.

The other four players the Steelers selected on day three, of course, were running back Benny Snell in the fourth round, tight end Zach Gentry in the fifth, inside linebacker Ulysees Gilbert III in the sixth, and offensive lineman Derwin Gray in the seventh.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/04/pff-awards-steelers-best-draft-grade-in-afc-north-at-above-average/

Steel Maniac
04-28-2019, 09:58 PM
I can’t wait to see all our new nuggets; a lot of great new story lines to watch.

Disco1981
04-28-2019, 11:28 PM
Don't believe in draft grades meaning much until 2 or 3 yrs down the road.....however at this point i couldn't give the Steelers an A-
The 1 position they needed immediately was TE and they didn't get anyone who will make an impact in 2019.

However 2 or 3 yrs from now we may be watching 4 or 5 guys making large to very large contributions to the team.

Disagree...The one area where we needed immediate help was NOT TE...I didn't like the Gentry pick...My least favorite pick actually but..We have McDonald who is the starter...

Can't get everything in one year...WR's RB's LB's are set for awhile ...NEXT year I would expect them to take the stud TE

Steel Maniac
04-29-2019, 08:23 AM
Seems that rotoworld echos your sentiments about Gentry as well.

Northern_Blitz
04-29-2019, 09:51 AM

I strongly agree with the first sentence.

I'm not sure that TE was our biggest need. I think at least ILB was a bigger issue along with having anyone that can generate a turnover on D.

But, having Grimble as our #2 isn't ideal. Especially since Vance hasn't had the best track record for health (last season excluded).

I've seen people floating the idea of picking up a vet from the UFA scrap heap. I wouldn't be surprised if we do that. Maxx Williams is the name I've seen get thrown around. A high pedigree guy who didn't work out great seems like a good gamble to me if we can get him on the cheap.

Steel Maniac
04-29-2019, 11:52 AM
Boy, judging from all the post, Grimble's name is persona non grada around here. LMAO!. I guess all we can hope for is for Grimble to redeem himself when the situation presents itself. I hope he does.

flippy
04-29-2019, 12:02 PM
After reflecting all the picks have good potential but a couple of them felt reachy vs BPA.

Some people will trust the Steelers. Others won’t because their recent track record isn’t great.

The answer of how good the draft is probably somewhere in the middle. I trust the quick negative reaction because those folks are generally invested and really thinking about the picks. For those that want to trust the Steelers, I remember the last time they had a 1st round grade on a 3rd round pick was Trai Essex. So anyone that wants to go all in and trust the team, that’s what they are trying to sell you.

I bet our team has more doubts about players than some of us.

RuthlessBurgher
04-29-2019, 12:16 PM
I remember the last time they had a 1st round grade on a 3rd round pick was Trai Essex.

I believe that just happened a year ago when we traded up in front of Cincy in the 3rd round to take Mason Rudolph, no?

fordfixer
04-29-2019, 12:29 PM
SB NATION

Pittsburgh Steelers
No team made a bigger jump in the first round. They gave up a lot to get linebacker Devin Bush of Michigan. The need was obvious. The value not as much.
In a pick from the Antonio Brown trade, the Steelers got another small Mid-American Conference wide receiver in Diontae Johnson. The similarity to Brown feels kinda troll-ish. At the least, Johnson can be a good return man. He was picked 66th overall, though Pittsburgh viewed him as a first-round player, which was surprising.
On Day 3, the Steelers took several very Steelers players. Cornerback Justin Layne is the big outside corner they needed. Benny Snell, a brilliant pickup, is a power back who fits the offense. If James Conner struggles, Snell could be a star. Zach Gentry was this draft’s version of Jesse James as a big, unrefined tight end with some athleticism.
Grade: B-

fordfixer
04-29-2019, 12:31 PM
I believe that just happened a year ago when we traded up in front of Cincy in the 3rd round to take Mason Rudolph, no?

I believe your right.

Northern_Blitz
04-29-2019, 12:44 PM
After reflecting all the picks have good potential but a couple of them felt reachy vs BPA.

Some people will trust the Steelers. Others won’t because their recent track record isn’t great.

The answer of how good the draft is probably somewhere in the middle. I trust the quick negative reaction because those folks are generally invested and really thinking about the picks. For those that want to trust the Steelers, I remember the last time they had a 1st round grade on a 3rd round pick was Trai Essex. So anyone that wants to go all in and trust the team, that’s what they are trying to sell you.

I bet our team has more doubts about players than some of us.

Did we also say we had a 1st round grade on Rudolph? I thought I remembered us saying that.

It seems like (1) a way to try to inflate the players self esteem and / or (2) a defensive thing for the FO to say.

flippy
04-29-2019, 01:27 PM
Did we also say we had a 1st round grade on Rudolph? I thought I remembered us saying that.

It seems like (1) a way to try to inflate the players self esteem and / or (2) a defensive thing for the FO to say.

You guys are right.

I guess I remember Essex as the last time I didn’t buy their story.

Northern_Blitz
04-29-2019, 01:36 PM
You guys are right.

I guess I remember Essex as the last time I didn’t buy their story.

I tend not to buy the "first round grade" rhetoric either for whatever it's worth.

But, I guess it can serve a purpose if it helps players feel comfortable coming into camp or something.

hawaiiansteel
04-30-2019, 03:59 PM
Gerry Dulac grades, analyzes the Steelers' 2019 draft class

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2019/04/29/pittsburgh-steelers-2019-nfl-draft-class-grades-analysis/stories/201904290093

dreegking
05-01-2019, 07:47 AM
How can you say the one need position was TẾ when the Steelers have a top half starting TẾ on the team and arguably on the rise and some speculate a top 6 TẾ in the game?

Nonsense. They filled their area of greatest need. Then some.

dreegking
05-01-2019, 07:59 AM
Who was the former Steeler player from several years ago that was begging for a shot last year?

Buzz
05-02-2019, 12:14 PM
Who was the former Steeler player from several years ago that was begging for a shot last year?

Dunno. Santonio Holmes?

ikestops85
05-02-2019, 01:57 PM
I don't really believe in draft grades unless they are 3 or 4 years down the road. Nobody knows whether the player is going to be good or bad. That's why I wonder why some people are always so negative when they really don't have any idea. I'd rather be positive for the team I support.

Oh wow
05-02-2019, 02:31 PM
I don't really believe in draft grades unless they are 3 or 4 years down the road. Nobody knows whether the player is going to be good or bad. That's why I wonder why some people are always so negative when they really don't have any idea. I'd rather be positive for the team I support.

Some people on here care more about the draft than the games.

A few games into the season they are already talking about the crop of kids for next year.

I agree though, I don’t understand how folks are so negative before they even see the field but those types have existed forever. They always complain and see the worst in everything... this way they still feel pretty good even when things go bad.

RuthlessBurgher
05-02-2019, 02:47 PM
PFF ranks Steelers as most improved team in AFC North after 2019 NFL Draft

And looking at the draft classes of their rivals, it is not hard to see why.

By Simon Chester
May 2, 2019, 1:45pm EDT

While acknowledging that post-draft grades may be one of the most pointless exercises undertaken each year, we cannot deny taking some enjoyment from reading reports that paint the Pittsburgh Steelers in a positive light. But as much as some might take comfort in knowing that their team possibly fared better than some other random franchise in the opposing conference they do not really care about, perhaps the only comparison that matters is how well a team did when compared to their divisional rivals.

Last year, it was Baltimore Ravens and Cleveland Browns being heralded for their 2018 draft class, with both teams receiving plaudits for the two first-round selections they each had. The Steelers left languishing last in the rankings, perceived to have taken safety Terrell Edmunds too early.

Deciding the real winner in 2019 is obviously far too premature, as it is at this stage in any year, but if Mike Renner of Pro Football Focus is any judge of talent, Pittsburgh may yet get a step on their rivals with their draft class after he ranked them as the most improved team in the AFC North for their picks.

“Pittsburgh made one of the biggest moves of the first round when they moved up for Devin Bush. After Bush and Devin White, there wasn’t a single linebacker in the class that could replicate their ability in coverage. From there, they got two other PFF favorites in Toledo wide receiver Diontae Johnson and Michigan State cornerback Justin Layne. Johnson drew comps to Antonio Brown from a stylistic perspective inside the PFF offices while Layne is much more suited to zone coverage than former first-rounder Artie Burns.”

The most improved team in the AFC North according to @PFF_Mike is the #Steelers after the draft.

This guy is a big reason why.

: https://t.co/bDTuvoF2DJ pic.twitter.com/2btQ4IzzxN
— PFF PIT Steelers (@PFF_Steelers) May 2, 2019

Choosing two players who had long been PFF favorites in Diontae Johnson and Justin Layne was always going to meet with the approval of Renner, as was the selection of Sutton Smith in round six, one of the highest graded players in company history.

New San Francisco 49ers edge defender Nick Bosa put forth the PFF College era's highest ever single-season grade for his effort in 2017 pic.twitter.com/kFslctNUOm
— Pro Football Focus (@PFF) May 1, 2019

Looking at the draft classes assembled by the rest of the AFC North, there certainly seems to be a number of questionable selections mixed in with solid picks for each team. Cornerback Greedy Williams may ultimately prove to something of a steal for the Cleveland Browns, but many believe linebacker Sione Takitaki went too soon and a kicker in round five was always bound to raise eyebrows.

Edge rusher Jaylon Ferguson is another player that many experts thought the Baltimore Ravens had taken too early in round three, ranked as PFF’s No.143 overall player. And while offensive tackle Jonah Williams should be a solid pick in round one, tight end Drew Sample and linebacker Germaine Pratt were two names many expected to still be available at the start of day three. Sample coming off the board in the second-round might have been one of the bigger reaches of day two on paper, a player ranked at No. 192 overall on PFF’s board.

As always, time will tell how good each respective draft class actually was, but with no real football until September, fictional bragging rights will have to do for now.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/5/2/18526735/pff-ranks-steelers-as-most-improved-team-in-afc-north-after-2019-nfl-draft-devin-bush-nfl-news

RuthlessBurgher
05-02-2019, 02:54 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers Fact or Fiction: Post-NFL Draft edition

BTSC takes five bold statements surrounding the completed Steelers and the 2019 Draft and labels them as Fact or Fiction.

By Bryan Anthony Davis
May 2, 2019, 11:08am EDT

There are many narratives surrounding the Steelers after the completion of the 2019 NFL Draft in Nashville. With so many questions to be answered on the need to trade up or reaches or how a player will actually play...BTSC takes bold statements and labels them as Fact or Fiction.
Lets take a gander.

•Devin Bush needs to be a Week One starter to justify trading up.

Fiction

Bush is a strong candidate to start the Steelers’ opener in New England, but it is not absolutely necessary. The thought process is that Bush will probably seize the spot, but it all depends on how exactly they view Mark Barron. My guess is that the newly-minted No. 55 is starting in prime time, but he’ll see a lot of time even if he doesn’t.

• Comparisons of Diontae Johnson to Antonio Brown are fair to put on the third rounder.

Fiction

If Johnson is statistically half as good as AB, you have a great selection. Yes, he is of comparable body dimensions and comes from the MAC. He also possesses good hands and decent route running ability, plus a lot of fans never heard of him. However, let this kid be his own player. He doesn’t need the comparisons or pressure to justify his selection. Let this all play out.

•Justin Layne should be the one to break the streak of underwhelming picks at the cornerback position.

Fact

The Michigan State CB had First Round grades from many teams, but the whole position group dropped with only Deandre Baker going at the end of the First. Layne is 6’2” with good coverage skills as a bump-and-run corner. He could be next man up and will likely start at times late in the season. There is a strong opinion among fans and “experts” that Layne could be a draft steal.

•Lack of size will sink Sutton Smith

Fiction

Ryan Shazier, at 6’1” and 229 lbs., is merely an inch taller and four pounds lighter than Smith at 6’ and 233. Smith plays with a ton of heart and sacked QBs 15 times with 26.5 tackles-for-loss in 2018. He had 14 and 30 respectively in 2017. The Norther Illinois product will have to earn his way on via special teams, but I’d bet on him to do something special when he does.

•Seven of the nine selections make the 53-man roster

Fact

Kevin Colbert got this one right. The top four selections of the Steelers (Bush, Johnson, Layne and Snell Jr.) should very well make the roster with ease. With the lack of depth at TE and Bucky Hodges having been released, Zach Gentry should be the TE3 on the 53. The next four guys have battles in camp, but I can see Buggs push past McCullers and Sutton Smith get the nod over “Dirty Red” Matakevich because of ST play, regardless of his being an ILB or OLB. Ulysses Gilbert and Derwin Gray may need to start out on the Practice Squad.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/5/2/18522886/pittsburgh-steelers-fact-or-fiction-post-nfl-draft-edition-devin-bush-divontae-johnson-news

Steel Maniac
05-04-2019, 04:19 PM
According to NFL.com, we had the worse draft in the AFC North

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/5/4/18528510/despite-devin-bush-being-the-best-pick-steelers-2019-draft-considered-worst-in-the-afc-north-news

hawaiiansteel
05-04-2019, 05:13 PM
According to NFL.com, we had the worse draft in the AFC North

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/5/4/18528510/despite-devin-bush-being-the-best-pick-steelers-2019-draft-considered-worst-in-the-afc-north-news

well, if they say it then it must be true :rolleyes:

RuthlessBurgher
05-07-2019, 11:48 AM
NFL experts predict: Answering the 2019 draft's biggest questions

7:30 AM ET
ESPN NFL Experts

Round 1 of the 2019 NFL draft featured six draft-day trades, pass-rushers and defensive linemen galore, and surprises throughout. Rounds 2-7? That's where teams will find the real value.

Our panel of ESPN NFL experts evaluates the new crop of rookies, diving into their favorite picks and answering questions about what we should expect this season. Check back every day this week to see more answers:

Which team's rookie class will make the biggest impact in 2019?

Matt Bowen, NFL analyst: New England Patriots. The Patriots' top four selections should all play roles as rookies. Start with WR N'Keal Harry. He fills a need at the position, with the big body to run inside breaking routes and finish on contested throws. CB Joejuan Williams fits as a man-coverage defender with a monster, 6-foot-4 frame and ball skills at the point of attack. OLB Chase Winovich? He's a versatile edge defender with pass-rush upside. And RB Damien Harris brings a decisive, downhill running style to the Patriots' offense, with the receiving skills and pass-protection ability to square up blitzing linebackers.

Mike Clay, fantasy writer: Seattle Seahawks. Seattle headed to Nashville with a multitude of holes on its roster and did a nice job adding prospects at several of those positions. To name a few, first-round pick L.J. Collier will need to play a gigantic role on the edge, safety Marquise Blair will compete for a Week 1 starting gig opposite Bradley McDougald, and WRs DK Metcalf and Gary Jennings will immediately compete for major snaps with Doug Baldwin seemingly on the verge of retirement.

Dan Graziano, national NFL writer: Oakland Raiders. The Raiders clearly went into the draft looking for players who could start right away, and at this stage, there's no reason to think Clelin Ferrell, Josh Jacobs and Johnathan Abram won't do that. Second-round pick Trayvon Mullen should be in position to at least compete for a starting spot and maybe will win one. The Raiders needed a ton of help, especially on defense, so there's opportunity almost everywhere for rookies to jump in.

KC Joyner, fantasy writer: Pittsburgh Steelers. The Steelers were a pass-happy team that didn't tackle well and often played uninspired football last season. This draft class was selected to help fix that, as linebacker Devin Bush, cornerback Justin Layne and running back Benny Snell Jr. all add an immediate dose of physicality and toughness to an organization that needs a reminder of what Steelers football is supposed to be.

Mina Kimes, NFL writer: Arizona Cardinals. It's possible that Arizona's first five draft picks could all see the field early in the season. No. 1 overall pick Kyler Murray is the team's starting quarterback, and because the wide receiver group is so shallow, I think he'll throw to second-rounder Andy Isabella and fourth-rounder Hakeem Butler right away. In second-rounder Byron Murphy, the Cardinals found a polished cornerback worthy of playing opposite Patrick Peterson. Defensive end Zach Allen and safety Deionte Thompson both have starter potential as well. Arizona crushed this draft.

Jason Reid, The Undefeated: Arizona Cardinals. No. 1 overall pick Kyler Murray has the tools to have a massive rookie season in the offense new head coach Kliff Kingsbury runs. Given how bad the roster was last season, the Cardinals' other picks figure to get many opportunities as well. Look for second-rounder Byron Murphy to challenge starting corner Robert Alford. Murphy loved to hit in college at Washington.

Mike Sando, senior NFL writer: Arizona Cardinals. Kyler Murray alone could make the greatest impact. There should be plenty of playing time for several other draft choices on both sides of the ball, including second-round corner Byron Murphy.

Kevin Seifert, national NFL writer: Arizona Cardinals. The less talented a team is, the better the chance of an immediate impact from the draft class. And no team has more holes than the Cardinals. An offense centered around Kyler Murray, featuring as many as three receivers from this draft, will draw plenty of attention to this class.

Field Yates, NFL analyst: Oakland Raiders. Part of this is a reflection of the incumbent roster, but the Raiders landed -- reasonably speaking -- four likely Day 1 starters in this class. Josh Jacobs profiles as an obvious workhorse back, Clelin Ferrell helps fill a tremendous need, and Johnathan Abram will be a tone-setter on defense.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/story/_/id/26679818/undefined