PDA

View Full Version : Ulysees Gilbert III

spyboots
04-27-2019, 04:44 PM
"Akron's big-play machine at LB"

Another MAC.

Played in EVERY game of his college career 2018 Season At Akron - 2nd Team All-MAC - 85 tackles - 7.5 TFL - 2 fumble recoveries, - 2 TD

steelerkeylargo
04-27-2019, 04:51 PM
Great character and highly productive. Small. Sean Spence part 2

spyboots
04-27-2019, 04:52 PM
It seems they are really high on the good character this year.

NorthCoast
04-27-2019, 05:05 PM
People were complaining about team character. Now it's a priority, let's see if character means something in putting together a winner.

I say yes! A common theme of SB teams is the 'closeness of the lockerroom'. The Steelers had too many me-firsts in key positions. Draft from smaller schools, maybe a bit more humble, but a player willing to bust their behinds for the team.

Rara
04-27-2019, 05:07 PM
The only pick I was happy with on Day 3. Speedy dude!

spyboots
04-27-2019, 05:08 PM
I think you hit the nail on the head, NorthCoast

hawaiiansteel
04-27-2019, 09:42 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers: Ulysees Gilbert, LB/ST, Akron C+ Grade

Ulysees Gilbert seems like too much of a tweener to ever be able to contribute on defense, but he projects as a special-teams ace. It's fine to use a pick past No. 200 on a player like that, though there were more exciting options available.

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades6.php

spyboots
04-27-2019, 10:11 PM
And another player with good character.

Ernie
04-27-2019, 10:46 PM
It seems they are really high on the good character this year.

It has been for the past few years.

TD386Steel
04-27-2019, 11:12 PM
For what its worth the draft guy across from Rich said he was an excellent cover guy

SidSmythe
04-27-2019, 11:34 PM
For what its worth the draft guy across from Rich said he was an excellent cover guy

So he's LJ Forts and potentially Mark Barron's replacement

Eddie Spaghetti
04-27-2019, 11:45 PM
LJ Fort signed with the eagles

no way he pushes Barron this year, and I would be surprised if he makes the 53

RobinCole
04-28-2019, 12:28 AM
It’s usually a surprise - - and a pleasant one- - when a 200th-plus pick makes the 53 in his rookie season. That’s what the practice squad is for.

RuthlessBurgher
04-28-2019, 01:32 AM
It will likely be more Danny Smith's input re: this kid's special teams prowess (as opposed to Keith Butler's input re: this kid's defensive prowess) is what will ultimately determine whether we'll be keeping him on the 53 man roster over the practice squad in 2019.

hawaiiansteel
05-02-2019, 01:19 AM
The Person Behind The Player: LB Ulysees Gilbert III

By Daniel Valente
Posted on May 1, 2019

Ulysees Gilbert III has accumulated a very decorated resume during his time at Akron. An invitation to the 2019 Shrine Game, two First Team All-MAC selections, two Defensive MVP selections and a Second Team All-MAC selection; the list goes on and on for his contributions on the field. To understand why the former Akron linebacker excels on the field, first you must understand what fuels his play off the field. Academics is a critically important part of Gilbert’s collegiate career and his academic achievements are just as worthy as his athletic achievements.

CoSIDA Academic All-America nominee, MAC Distinguished Scholar-Athlete, Academic All-MAC and two-time Summa Health Student-Athlete of the Week, Gilbert is a student both on the field and in the classroom. The linebacker spoke to Draft Wire about the importance of academics.

“The reason I did it is because it was pretty much instilled in me at a young age. My dad and mom really taught me that academics are really important because at the end of the day, football and sports in general don’t last long but academics and your degree will forever. So, I’ve really taken a lot of pride in that.”

Gilbert’s study habits carry from the class room to the film room where he studies every formation and scheme that his opponents may use against his defense. Football is very much like chess, where the key to victory is out smarting the opponent and as the quarterback of the defense, Gilbert has to be ready for everything his opponent could throw at him. Knowing your opponent is only one half of the battle though, as the former Akron linebacker tells Andrew DiCecco how he also studies his own tendencies.

“I feel like I’m a student of the game. I love learning new techniques. I love studying the game, I love studying my opponents – as well as myself and everyone around me – so I can understand who I’m playing with and how they play,” says Gilbert.

The Pittsburgh Steelers selected Gilbert in the sixth round of the 2019 NFL Draft. Not only was he the third player chosen from the MAC but he was also the third linebacker selected by the team. Each of the three linebackers selected by the Steelers have shown to have two common traits – character and high football IQ. Gilbert called plays for two seasons at Akron before moving from the MIKE role for his final season. The linebacker shows no lack of confidence in his abilities to call plays and organize his teammates as the quarterback of the defense.

“Communication was key and I knew what everybody else was doing and that is where you get the quarterback of the defense. I really feel like that is me because I take a lot of pride in knowing what everybody else does around me,” Gilbert told Draft Wire’s Zachary Hicks.

Like all of his draft mates, Gilbert is another dose of character injected in a locker room that was arguably fractured last season. The linebacker is extremely committed to improving his game and is a reliable piece the Steelers can count on for the foreseeable future.

“I truly believe you are going to get somebody that is reliable. Reliable and loves the game of football. I would say reliable just because I’m always on time, I will always show up, I’d never put the team in any trouble or anything, I always show up to work happy, I always give it my all each and every time during film, workouts, practices… It doesn’t matter. I just love the game of football,” Gilbert says to Hicks.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/the-person-behind-the-player-lb-ulysees-gilbert-iii/

Ghost
05-02-2019, 07:22 AM
Nice pre-draft interview. Seems like a great kid. Ran a 4.51 40 at the Akron Pro Day.

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2019/03/27/2019-nfl-draft-prospect-interview-ulysees-gilbert-iii-akron/

What is my team getting if I draft Ulysees Gilbert III?

UG: I truly believe you are going to get somebody that is reliable. Reliable and loves the game of football. I would say reliable just because I’m always on time, I will always show up, I’d never put the team in any trouble or anything, I always show up to work happy, I always give it my all each and every time during film, workouts, practices… It doesn’t matter. I just love the game of football. I enjoy being around the guys, I enjoy practices and games, I enjoy workouts, and I just enjoy the game itself. The whole thing about football is just love and I’ve loved it since I was little.
I’m always going to give my all and I feel like if you always give it your all, no matter what you do you are going to be fine. I really think those are the two biggest things but I really think reliable is a big one because being on time and focused really says a lot about who I am and just a respectful guy who would never put myself or a team in jeopardy.

hawaiiansteel
05-06-2019, 01:48 AM
Steelers HC Mike Tomlin hints at Ulysees Gilbert III at outside linebacker

By: Curt Popejoy

Thanks to the draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers now have an excess of linebackers. It’s going to be the job of the coaching staff to figure out which guys stay and which guys go and even who is going to play which position.

It’s clear based on the players the Steelers brought in this offseason, they are blurring the lines between traditional roles of linebackers in a 3-4 defense. Devin Bush, Mark Barron, Sutton Smith and Ulysees Gilbert III are all new additions with unique skills sets and NFL-caliber athleticism.

Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin spoke about the new linebackers and his comments on Gilbert was quite interesting. Tomlin lumped Gilbert in with second-year player Ola Adeniyi and fellow rookie Sutton Smith as potential depth at outside linebacker.

In studying Gilbert you note he was moved all around the formation at Akron and with his athleticism, it makes sense you don’t want to lock him into a spot. But if we are talking about Gilbert as an outside linebacker, his success will be off ball and not with his hand on the ground as an edge rusher.

The addition of Gilbert, if he can drop into coverage as an OLB could potentially allow T.J. Watt to rush the passer more. Watt is the no worse than the second-best pass rusher on the team along with Cam Heyward but because he’s such a good athlete finds himself in coverage too much.

Players like Gilbert and Devin Bush have the chance to balance the scales for the Steelers defense against all these high-flying offenses of the NFL. If they can do this, players like Watt and Heyward could absolutely feast on quarterbacks knowing there is coverage flexibility behind them.

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/05/steelers-hc-mike-tomlin-hints-at-ulysees-gilbert-iii-at-outside-linebacker/

Steel Maniac
05-06-2019, 08:30 AM
It would be a huge blessing if Gilbert showed out in camp and preseason to be a guy that could make Dupree simply fade to black by season’s end.

RuthlessBurgher
05-06-2019, 10:11 AM
It would be a huge blessing if Gilbert showed out in camp and preseason to be a guy that could make Dupree simply fade to black by season’s end.

The article says specifically, "But if we are talking about Gilbert as an outside linebacker, his success will be off ball and not with his hand on the ground as an edge rusher." Even if Gilbert and Dupree are each designated OLB on the roster sheet, the way they would be deployed on defense is completely different.

RuthlessBurgher
05-06-2019, 11:05 AM
Sunday, May 05, 2019 09:00 AM

'He could really cover a lot of ground'

Mike Prisuta

Steelers.com

Why you should be excited about sixth-round pick Ulysees Gilbert:

He’s productive: Gilbert, a 6-foot, 224-pound inside linebacker, had a combined nine sacks in 2016 and 2017 at Akron. He registered five of those sacks, along with 141 tackles, 9.5 tackles for a loss, seven passes defensed and three interceptions in 2017.

He’s decorated: Gilbert was a first-team All-MAC selection in 2016 and 2017.

He’s versatile: General Manager Kevin Colbert considers Gilbert an “outside linebacker-capable, fast, space player. He runs 4.48. He's an active guy. In today's football, a lot of times that linebacker is removed from the formation. He plays over the slot.”

He’s also a special teams-capable player: “We think Ulysees can compete for special teams play, as well as give us the new type of athleticism that you look for (at inside linebacker).

Added head coach Mike Tomlin: “We imagine that Gilbert is a guy who can distinguish himself in that area, as well.”

He can potentially make outside linebacker deeper: “We’re excited about what Ola (Adeniyi) can do,” Colbert said. “But then you throw in a guy like Sutton Smith who played at the same level collegiately and had a lot of success in the MAC, so there’s going to be good competition there whether it’s for the last spot or special teams.

“You throw in a guy like Ulysees Gilbert, now you got three similar body types fighting for those spots. The competition can only make them all better.”

He had the right mindset at Akron: “He could really cover a lot of ground, sideline to sideline and he'll hit you,” inside linebackers coach Jerry Olsavsky said. “That's what we look for. If you like to run around and hit people, you know you're good for us.”

He impresses on and off the field: “I'm glad we drafted Ulysees,” Olsavsky said. “We had him up for a visit. We saw a lot of good thing on film and he runs well, plays out of the box, which is where today's game is going.

“He was just really a genuine kid when he came up here. He likes to play the game, he likes to run around and hit people. I'm extremely pleased to have him.”

His pass coverage capabilities matter: “When a team trusts you to put you out of the box on a wide receiver, they have confidence that you can go out there and you won't be embarrassed or you're not going to slip up in your coverage,” Olsavsky said. “That's a skill that he naturally has, and we like that.”

https://www.steelers.com/news/he-could-really-cover-a-lot-of-ground

RuthlessBurgher
05-09-2019, 03:27 PM
By Darin Gantt
May 9, 2019, 3:11 PM EDT
Steelers sign sixth-rounder Ulysees Gilbert

The Steelers continued to peck away at their draft class.

Thursday, they announced the signing of sixth-round draft pick Ulysees Gilbert to his four-year deal.

A linebacker from Akron, Gilbert projects as a reserve inside and a special teamer early on, but they think he has some versatility.

He’s the third of their three sixth-rounders to sign, and they only have three unsigned picks: First-round linebacker Devin Bush, third-round cornerback Justin Layne, and fifth-round tight end Zach Gentry remain unsigned

SteelerMaine83
05-10-2019, 06:43 PM
We'll all marvel at the Tales of Brave Ulysses in the future...

RuthlessBurgher
05-15-2019, 02:58 PM
Steelers 2019 NFL Draft Spotlight: Akron LB Ulysees Gilbert

By KansasCitySteelers on May 15, 2019, 2:36pm EDT
One of the more under the radar picks in this draft was Ulysees Gilbert. Sure he's a late round pick, and there are a lot of obstacles to his success. Some would be quick to point out that based solely on his draft position he doesn't even have that great a chance of making the team. I'm not saying the guy is my favorite to win the Defensive Rookie of the Year award, though. There's a lot more to be excited about for Gilbert than for a lot of other 6th round picks.

Let's look at some of those reasons:

1. Productivity

He wasn't as productive last year for some reason, but in 14 games in 2017 produced 140 total tackles, 9.5 TFL, 4 sacks, 3 interceptions, and a fumble recovery. Yeah, those are MAC stats, but at least he proved he can dominate lesser competition. He's also got that playmaker spark. A lot of folks criticized Devin Bush for not being that guy, but Gilbert has 3 defensive TD's to his credit the past two years.

2. Intent

The Steelers didn't just pick Gilbert because they wanted a ST player and he was the best available. This is a guy they had their eye on, having attended his pro day and brought him in for an official visit. The brass really like this guy and they know exactly how they want to use him.

3. Athleticism?

Check out these numbers

Devin Bush - 4.43 forty, 21 reps on the bench, 40.5'' vertical, 124'' broad jump, 6.93 three cone
Ulysees Gilbert - 4.46 forty, 20 bench reps, 39.5'' vertical, 126'' broad jump, 6.94 three cone

Sure, those are pro day numbers, and Gilbert is 10 pounds lighter, but that's serious speed, explosion, and agility, and like Bush he's not just a raw project who currently gets by only on athleticism. He does a good job reading keys, navigating traffic and all the little things that ILB's have to do.

4. Size?

The big number is 224, which is big because it's little. He's undersized to be a full time ILB, but how undersized really? Gilbert could potentially bulk up with an NFL weights program, but he may not even have to. Sure, guys like Telvin Smith and Deone Bucannon playing at 215 are the exceptions, but it shows there are ways to use an undersized ILB, and the Steelers seem not just willing but intent on finding that kind of role on their defense.

5. Versatility

Against SEC opponent South Carolina last year, the Zips used Gilbert repeatedly in coverage on WR's. You know how we love LB's covering WR's. They also had him for quite a few plays as an edge rusher, so the guy can play all over the field in a variety of roles. That's an obvious fit from what we've seen over the past several years, but it got even more interesting when both Tomlin and Colbert described him as having OLB potential.

6. Sixth round magic, baby

The Steelers' last 11 picks in the 6th round include Antonio Brown, Jonathan Dwyer, Vince Williams, Dan McCullers, Anthony Chickillo, LT Walton, and the great Colin HOLBA. Sure, nobody just said "Wow, Jonathan Dwyer in the 6th round, what a steal!" But 50% of your 6th round picks making the roster is pretty impressive, and good backups are good backups. The Steelers have a habit of getting solid backups (or more) where most teams are just picking up camp bodies.

7. Pittsburgh Linebackers

Let's go back to that OLB comment, because we just drafted a significantly undersized OLB in Sutton Smith and then called a guy who is 10 pounds lighter than that and who has never really played OLB backup OLB material. The Steelers drop their OLB's into coverage more than any other 3-4 team; have they decided they maybe need to stop looking at prototype 3-4 OLB types and find a new market inefficiency in tweeners who can run, cover, and hit? Anyway, with Devin Bush, Terrell Edmunds, Mark Barron, and Ulysees Gilbert, the Steelers will have the potential to do some things with fast guys who can cover and hit in the middle of the field. That's not even considering Sutton Smith as a potential hybrid ILB/OLB or Marcus Allen and Brian Allen (now listed as a safety on the team depth chart) as backup safeties.

8. Cost savings

You can just change the number on your Marcus Gilbert jersey

9. He's from my hometown, and my dad knows his dad, so we're practically brothers.

10. To be perfectly up front...

I will also mention one big concern and that is some significant knocks on his zone awareness in his scouting report. If he is going to be a coverage ILB he's going to have to be able to play zone as well as man, and will definitely need to improve in this regard to have much of an impact.

The bottom line is that Gilbert may be held back from a starting role by his size and will be held back from a situational role by his lack of awareness in zone if he can't improve in that regard, but it wouldn't take a lot for him to really excel as an undersized LB with versatility to give opposing offenses plenty of headaches.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/5/6/18534491/spotlight-on-ulysees-gilbert

Steel Maniac
05-15-2019, 05:37 PM
We'll all marvel at the Tales of Brave Ulysses in the future...

Hahahahaha..sure we will.

Iron City Inc.
05-27-2019, 05:46 PM
Gilbert will have every opportunity with Bostic gone,Fort gone and Burnett who played that hybrid roll also gone. He'll need to be a bit of a swiss army knife learning both mack n buck and he'll need to be a special team contributor from day one at camp. He gets through the learning curve quickly he'll have a shot to stick. Back up ILB's are Vince n Red at this point so he'll get a legit look. 5 + 5 backers is what we carry for the most part so both 6th rounders will get long looks.

hawaiiansteel
06-11-2019, 12:40 AM
Ulysees Gilbert On OTAs: ‘I Feel Like I’ve Made Plays And I’ve Made Mistakes’

By Matthew Marczi
Posted on June 10, 2019

It might be easy to forget at this point, but the Pittsburgh Steelers did draft two inside linebackers a couple of months ago. Long after they made Devin Bush the 10th-overall pick in the first round, they went back into the sixth round and used their third of three picks there to add Ulysees Gilbert III out of Akron.

Perhaps best known by the fan base at this point as the guy who isn’t Ulysses S. Grant, Gilbert is hoping to make a name for himself now that he has cracked his way into the NFL. But he knows his first task will be to make the team, which is far from a given.

Aside from Bush, the Steelers still have Vince Williams returning as a starter at his position, and they signed Mark Barron in free agency to solidify their top three players for inside linebacker. Also in the mix is longstanding special teams ace Tyler Matakevich. Gilbert will also have to stand out on special teams to be carried as a fifth inside linebacker (which, admittedly, is not uncommon).

So far, however, he has had a modest assessment of the start to his professional career. As he described to Brian Batko in wrapping up the 10-session OTA period, “overall, I feel like I’ve made plays and I’ve made mistakes”.

Sounds like a rookie spring, alright. “That’s all just part of the game”, he added.

One of three players that the Steelers drafted from the MAC Conference—in addition to third-round wide receiver Diontae Johnson out of Toledo and Northern Illinois’ Sutton Smith, the outside linebacker added with the team’s first pick in the sixth round—the group knows the added hurdles they’ve passed to get to where they are.

But Gilbert also knows what got him here with respect to his profile: speed. Posting a strong 40-yard dash time hovering around 4.5 seconds or even a tad lower, he is being viewed by the team as part of the new wave of inside linebackers who are much more adept in coverage, even man to man, than what has historically been the case at the position.

That also fits the profile of Bush and Barron, the two other inside linebackers that they added this offseason in free agency and the draft, and that’s not by coincidence. It’s not a coincidence that they released Jon Bostic after the draft ended, either.

Gilbert is going to have to continue to make more and more plays, both on defense and on special teams, while making fewer and fewer mistakes, as we get closer to the start of the regular season. If he can continue to improve that ratio, there should be a spot somewhere on the roster for him, provided that the Steelers could afford it, likely at the expense of a sixth cornerback or fifth safety.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/ulysees-gilbert-on-otas-i-feel-like-ive-made-plays-and-ive-made-mistakes/

RuthlessBurgher
06-11-2019, 10:14 AM
Last year, when we cut the roster to 53 players, we kept 5 ILB's (Vince Williams, Jon Bostic, L.J. Fort, Tyler Matakevich, and Matthew Thomas).

Bostic is now in Washington, Fort is now in Philadelphia, and Thomas is now in Baltimore.

This year, Devin Bush should take Bostic's spot as a starter, Mark Barron should take Fort's spot as an option as a coverage LB in nickel/dime situations, and Ulysses Gilbert should take Thomas' spot as a developmental prospect and special teamer.

Would appear to be upgrades across the board.

phillyesq
06-11-2019, 11:07 AM
Last year, when we cut the roster to 53 players, we kept 5 ILB's (Vince Williams, Jon Bostic, L.J. Fort, Tyler Matakevich, and Matthew Thomas).

Bostic is now in Washington, Fort is now in Philadelphia, and Thomas is now in Baltimore.

This year, Devin Bush should take Bostic's spot as a starter, Mark Barron should take Fort's spot as an option as a coverage LB in nickel/dime situations, and Ulysses Gilbert should take Thomas' spot as a developmental prospect and special teamer.

Would appear to be upgrades across the board.

I think he is likely competing with Adeniyi (they opened with just 3 OLBs last year), Sutton and others for LB roles 8-10 that will be based, in significant part, on special teams prowess.

SidSmythe
08-09-2019, 10:43 PM
He stood out 2 times so far tonight when he was in the picture.
Good speed pursuing a run and great break on a slant in man coverage on the outside.
Could he be another LJ Fort?

SidSmythe
08-09-2019, 10:48 PM
Nice move on the RB on the pass rush

SidSmythe
08-09-2019, 10:53 PM
And now a sack fumble

SidSmythe
08-09-2019, 10:59 PM
And another play.

Steel Maniac
08-09-2019, 11:14 PM
Yes... impressive

RuthlessBurgher
08-10-2019, 12:02 PM
If he keeps this up, maybe the commentators will stop referring to him as Ulysses Grant instead. ;)

Ernie
08-10-2019, 01:31 PM
Its possible we've found ourselves a player

SidSmythe
08-10-2019, 01:32 PM
If he keeps this up, maybe the commentators will stop referring to him as Ulysses Grant instead. ;)

Maybe next yr they'll draft Robert G Bea to play the other ILB spot

Ernie
08-10-2019, 01:34 PM
Or Thomas "Stonewall" Johnson :rolleyes:

RuthlessBurgher
08-10-2019, 02:19 PM
Who said that we couldn't have a "civil" discussion on this board? ;)

fordfixer
08-10-2019, 04:50 PM
All of us Rebel’s

Buzz
08-10-2019, 06:29 PM
He stood out 2 times so far tonight when he was in the picture.
Good speed pursuing a run and great break on a slant in man coverage on the outside.
Could he be another LJ Fort?

Could be much better than Fort, I think. Could be that Bush and Gilbert are our future at ILB.

Steel Maniac
08-11-2019, 09:24 AM
It's possible. He looked good out there.

SidSmythe
08-11-2019, 09:49 AM
Could be much better than Fort, I think. Could be that Bush and Gilbert are our future at ILB.

Not ready to go that far but I'm all for it.
That INT on the 2 pt conversion was a beautiful thing to watch.
I'd love to see him get some first half action this week.

Captain Lemming
08-11-2019, 01:33 PM
All of us Rebel’s

Wrong war. :)

fordfixer
08-11-2019, 08:42 PM
Wrong war. :)
Dang wrong again :mad:

hawaiiansteel
08-15-2019, 10:21 PM
Film Room: Ulysees Gilbert III Takes Charge In NFL Debut

By Nick Farabaugh
Posted on August 15, 2019

Going into the first preseason game I was looking forward to seeing Ulysees GIlbert III’s performance. On the two days I was at camp this year I saw, he was absolutely flying around the field and was around the ball every single play it seemed like. And even though he really only played against third-stringers this game, he had a phenomenal showing that I was expecting to see based off of his college tape and what I saw this Summer.

In fact, in all phases Gilbert showed off just about every trait that got him drafted by the Steelers in the first place, starting with his fantastic range and fluid hips.

This is a simple screen WR screen, we see it all the time during the season, but Gilbert’s range and ability to turn and fully accelerate is fantastic here. He ran a 4.51 at Akron’s pro day and that speed and sideline-to-sideline range are shown off fully here. However, there is something to be said about how quickly he can flip his hips and accelerate right away. That is something I more so look for with running backs, but it does matter for linebackers as well when it pertains to range. This play just shows off all aspects of Gilbert’s athleticism and proves he is a great athlete for the ILB position.

I was shocked to see that the Steelers would trust a LB to be all by his lonesome in a one-on-one situation as designed purely schematically. It allows them to mix and match their coverages a lot more and show more looks. Matt Eberflus in Indianapolis did this a few times with Darius Leonard last year, and it was a breath of fresh air in the Steelers defense to see how well he played this. His footwork here is what DB coaches call ‘motor mirroring’ since he has a wide base and simple steps back to keep leverage. He does a great job of staying square and reacting and mirroring immediately after the cut inside. Then, it is all about his explosiveness and speed to close in and make this pick. Gilbert was always good in coverage, and this is another example of that. Great mirroring and a great job to be isolated and still make the play.

Then, to finish it off, he shows off his blitzing ability to just completely finish off this RB. The deke step to get the RB leaning off to his right and thus susceptible to a move is a great job by Gilbert. That deke allows him to essentially make the RB not be square to him, and as he crosses his face, he hits him with a sweet swim move. The RB leaned in and Gilbert’s ability to bait him to do it is why he won this rep point blank.

After a strong game against the Buccaneers, Gilbert III needs to see increased reps against second stringers and stiffer competition. It is the only way to see if he is truly something to mold and keep on the roster. The special teams ability to obvious, but if he can flash that he might be able to be a starting ILB at some point, the Steelers will have found a gem in the sixth round. It’s time to see what he’s made of.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/08/film-room-ulysees-gilbert-iii-takes-charge-in-nfl-debut/

NorthCoast
08-16-2019, 09:15 AM
"............absolutely flying around the field and was around the ball every single play........ "

This, more than anything, will get UGIII on the roster and I predict will get on the field at some point this season. But I would like to see what his run defense is like as well. Having fast, quick LBs to defend the pass will have OCs set up with a power run game to counter. The Steelers have to find a way to stop that as well.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-16-2019, 04:53 PM
"............absolutely flying around the field and was around the ball every single play........ "

This, more than anything, will get UGIII on the roster and I predict will get on the field at some point this season. But I would like to see what his run defense is like as well. Having fast, quick LBs to defend the pass will have OCs set up with a power run game to counter. The Steelers have to find a way to stop that as well.

ST will get him on the roster. If he shows he will fly around and make plays on special teams then he will get opportunities to get a helmet on game day, and maybe have a chance to play some snaps on D. For him it will all begin there.

hawaiiansteel
05-12-2020, 04:57 PM
Watch: Ulysees Gilbert III Is a Serious Steelers’ Sleeper

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/05/watch-ulysees-gilbert-iii-is-a-serious-steelers-sleeper/

Buzz
05-12-2020, 05:40 PM
Watch: Ulysees Gilbert III Is a Serious Steelers’ Sleeper

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/05/watch-ulysees-gilbert-iii-is-a-serious-steelers-sleeper/

I'm really pulling for this kid.

Steel Maniac
05-12-2020, 07:08 PM

With the way the passing game is in the league now, he's going to make the roster because of the way he flies around. You've got to be encouraged by him so far.

hawaiiansteel
05-12-2020, 07:18 PM
I'm really pulling for this kid.

he is probably the reason why the Steelers didn't feel the need to draft an ILB.

Iron City Inc.
05-12-2020, 08:00 PM
he is probably the reason why the Steelers didn't feel the need to draft an ILB.

That is a good point. He flashed at camp and Alex and me both wrote about his performance at Latrobe. He has good eyes and play recognition is instinctive. Now on the 7 hole play where he scraps well and holds the back to a short or no gain there is where he should shine plays away from him. That 4.5 speed is great to have as long as you break down well enough n not over run plays n allow for cut back lanes to open up. Plays right at him is really my only concern with him. Stack n shed IDK yet sample size is a bit small. He's not the biggest backer but you can't teach that speed and short area quickness. Lots of upside that's for sure.

hawaiiansteel
05-12-2020, 08:03 PM
That is a good point. He flashed at camp and Alex and me both wrote about his performance at Latrobe. He has good eyes and play recognition is instinctive. Now on the 7 hole play where he scraps well and holds the back to a short or no gain there is where he should shine plays away from him. That 4.5 speed is great to have as long as you break down well enough n not over run plays n allow for cut back lanes to open up. Plays right at him is really my only concern with him. Stack n shed IDK yet sample size is a bit small. He's not the biggest backer but you can't teach that speed and short area quickness. Lots of upside that's for sure.

Bush will probably stay on the field for all downs while VW and Gilbert rotate in run/pass situations.

Buzz
05-12-2020, 08:29 PM
Bush will probably stay on the field for all downs while VW and Gilbert rotate in run/pass situations.

If Gilbert can pick up what Barron was doing, even if he is merely competent at it, that will be a big box checked for this defense.

Steel Maniac
05-18-2020, 02:29 PM
https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2020/5/18/21262162/the-steelers-depth-at-ilb-or-lack-thereof-hinges-on-the-health-of-ulysees-gilbert-iii-devin-bush-nfl

Oviedo
05-19-2020, 07:36 AM
https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2020/5/18/21262162/the-steelers-depth-at-ilb-or-lack-thereof-hinges-on-the-health-of-ulysees-gilbert-iii-devin-bush-nfl

I'm hoping Gilbert is the answer. As the article says, the speed we have in the middle is exceptional.

That said, I would still be OK with the team bring back Barron as an insurance policy