PDA

View Full Version : NFL Network

Disco1981
04-27-2019, 04:28 PM
" Pittsburgh Steelers are knocking this draft out of the Park"

Agreed...Only pick I " hate " so far is Gentry

RobinCole
04-27-2019, 04:30 PM
They need to read this board and learn how bad this draft really is.

spyboots
04-27-2019, 04:37 PM
I'm seeing lots of praise on the 'net for every one of our picks. :tt1:tt1:tt1:tt1:tt1:tt1:tt1

AzStillers1989
04-27-2019, 04:37 PM

It is amazing how many on this board CONSTANTLY have negative opinions about anything and everything this team does.

NorthCoast
04-27-2019, 04:55 PM
It is amazing how many on this board CONSTANTLY have negative opinions about anything and everything this team does.

They're not really fans of the Pittsburgh Steelers........

....... that'll get 'em started.

Oviedo
04-27-2019, 05:11 PM

I agree. I thought the sky was falling around us. The Steelers obviously don't value the opinions of fans on message boards. The fools listen to the information and evals of scouts they pay...that is just plain stupid.

Oviedo
04-27-2019, 05:13 PM

That's because they have more information as fans on message boards and are smarter and more talented analysts of football talent...plus they aren't happy unless they find something to be unhappy about. The Bush pick was a killer because it was so hard to be critical about.

brothervad
04-27-2019, 05:22 PM
That's because they have more information than fans on message boards and are smarter and more talented analysts of football talent...plus they aren't happy unless they find something to be unhappy about. The Bush pick was a killer because it was so hard to be critical about.

I am going to defend the draft-niks a bit here...

I kind think they are one of the reasons the NFL is still all powerful in the off season...

They spend tons of hours watching film on their favorites
They spend tons of hours reading the details of their favorites

So when their favorites are available and are not drafted, of course they will be frustrated.

Hell, I admit I am not a draft-nik and sometimes the seemingly randomness of who the Steelers pick in my very limited viewpoint makes me scratch my head.

However, it can be said looking at the past drafts, especially the recent drafts the secondary has been crap. So people including myself are questioning the behvavior.

But I think that's ok.

That being said, I believe the talking heads (on TV) spend more time doing all the things above and moreso. They have access to folks who inform (misinform) so they do have a bit more knowledge than most of us posting.

I can tell you, historically, I am not used to all the accolades being thrown about a Steelers draft. The Steelers never get flamed but it's usually the same old "typical solid Steeler draft. Some reaches but overall solid." by the talking heads.

This year, it seems like a many of them are slobbering over the Steelers draft.

Not sure how to take that...

Brothervad

SidSmythe
04-27-2019, 05:30 PM
Was it the gay guy who said this??

brothervad
04-27-2019, 05:43 PM
Was it the gay guy who said this??

All I got for this...

Huh?

brothervad

Eddie Spaghetti
04-27-2019, 05:45 PM
let's just all fall in lockstep and praise everything the team does

should make for a great message board

god forbid anybody have an opinion otherwise

AzStillers1989
04-27-2019, 06:27 PM

Don’t take it personal buttercup.

Northern_Blitz
04-27-2019, 07:02 PM

Is that different from falling in lockstep and hating everything they do?

I never know enough about NCAA FB to have a strong opinion on whether or draft was good or bad. Wait and see is the only thing that makes sense to me

Steel Maniac
04-27-2019, 10:23 PM
Is that different from falling in lockstep and hating everything they do?

I never know enough about NCAA FB to have a strong opinion on whether or draft was good or bad. Wait and see is the only thing that makes sense to me

And you have every right to feel things YOUR WAY. So the people who feel the other way have the same right to feel things THEIR WAY. That’s the beauty of this country.,

RuthlessBurgher
04-28-2019, 12:59 AM
Draft prospects are evaluated on the basis of:

1. Statistics in college games.

In the age of the internet, fans have regular access to this raw info at any time. Some sites even offer some unique "next generation" statistics and other analytical data. There is obviously more info readily available for skill position players than linemen, for instance. Statistics in certain college systems do not necessarily translate very well as predictors of production in the pro game, though.

2. College game footage.

We can watch the network feed of NCAA games on Saturdays, and can also find highlights after the fact on YouTube (although those clips tend to focus only on positive aspects). We don't necessarily have access to All-22 coach's film, though.

3. Athletic measureables.

We have access to numerous data from the scouting combine and pro days. Fans tend to put more stock into straightforward numbers such as a low 40 time means you are fast and a high bench number means you are strong, but scouts tend to be more interested in other numbers such as 3-cone time and shuttle runs. Some players can refuse to take part in certain parts of the pre-draft testing process, and other players who may be rehabbing an injury might not be tested at all.

4. Player interviews.

We can hear players and their coaches being interviewed by the media on ESPN, NFL Total Access, or Sirius NFL Radio, but those questions tend to be more of the softball variety as opposed to the hard-hitting inquiries that front office personnel would be asking. Teams need to try to get as much information about a player's attitude, work ethic, football IQ, love of the game, leadership qualities, etc. but we don't have access to very much of this information as outsiders.

5. Medical evaluations.

We know when players suffer major injuries such as torn ACL's, when they had surgery, when they are available to return to practice or games, but beyond that, we are completely blind as to any details about a particular player's medical history due to HIPAA laws.

To sum up, we as fans have access to a small amount of information with regard to each of these parts of a player evaluation, but by no means do we fans have anywhere close to the amount of information that the teams are able to collect. I have opinions about these players, both good and bad, but I'm not so delusional to think that I could possibly know even close to as much about any of them as Colbert and our scouts do.

Shawn
04-28-2019, 02:49 AM
That's because they have more information as fans on message boards and are smarter and more talented analysts of football talent...plus they aren't happy unless they find something to be unhappy about. The Bush pick was a killer because it was so hard to be critical about.. That’s probably so, with that said...I’ve seen some “board scouts” with better track records than this FO. Two cents.

Djfan
04-28-2019, 11:26 AM
I like who we picked for the most part. Wishing we had addressed our backfield more. Tomlin forgot to call me, so I wasn't surprised.

Hoping for vetran cuts to help us. Also hoping we abandon the 10 yard LeBeau cushion, especially against the cheats.

Steel Maniac
04-28-2019, 11:29 AM
Don’t take it personal buttercup.

This is exactly what I’m talking about.

Steel Maniac
04-28-2019, 11:30 AM
. That’s probably so, with that said...I’ve seen some “board scouts” with better track records than this FO. Two cents.

Hahahahahaha

Steel Maniac
04-28-2019, 11:31 AM
I like who we picked for the most part. Wishing we had addressed our backfield more. Tomlin forgot to call me, so I wasn't surprised.

Hoping for vetran cuts to help us. Also hoping we abandon the 10 yard LeBeau cushion, especially against the cheats.

Yeah, I have to admit I’m waiting on the vets that get cut at safety and DE.

NorthCoast
04-28-2019, 11:56 AM
I don't mind people ripping on a pick. It's their opinion so let 'em speak. But it is fun to go back after a season to see who was wrong and who was right. I recall a few having to eat crow over the years.

Message board draftniks don't always know what the team is planning for a player, or how he will be used. (... and maybe the Steelers themselves don't know either until they see some camp action).

Steel Maniac
04-28-2019, 12:04 PM
I don't mind people ripping on a pick. It's their opinion so let 'em speak. But it is fun to go back after a season to see who was wrong and who was right. I recall a few having to eat crow over the years.

Message board draftniks don't always know what the team is planning for a player, or how he will be used. (... and maybe the Steelers themselves don't know either until they see some camp action).

Hahaha.. yeah it’s fun. I did that to a poster last season who said Conner wasn’t going to be a legit starter. Me and another poster called that poster out and because of his embarrassment, he’s been stalking me from thread to thread ever since. Lol.

Be carful North in doing that because if you expose someone like that , their feelings get hurt. I didn’t know it was a big deal at the time until that poster kept stalking me from thread to thread bringing it up.

Be careful north. We move on.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-28-2019, 01:24 PM
Everything you need to know about the whole mock draft process vs. reality. Over the last 5 years or so, the most respected analyst was the NFL Network's Mike Mayock. This season, the most recent set of four mocks by four different analysts had Clemson's Clelin Ferrell going at 13, 14, 17, and 25. Instead he was selected at #4...by former NFLN talking head Mike Mayock.

Oviedo
04-28-2019, 01:31 PM
Draft prospects are evaluated on the basis of:

1. Statistics in college games.

In the age of the internet, fans have regular access to this raw info at any time. Some sites even offer some unique "next generation" statistics and other analytical data. There is obviously more info readily available for skill position players than linemen, for instance. Statistics in certain college systems do not necessarily translate very well as predictors of production in the pro game, though.

2. College game footage.

We can watch the network feed of NCAA games on Saturdays, and can also find highlights after the fact on YouTube (although those clips tend to focus only on positive aspects). We don't necessarily have access to All-22 coach's film, though.

3. Athletic measureables.

We have access to numerous data from the scouting combine and pro days. Fans tend to put more stock into straightforward numbers such as a low 40 time means you are fast and a high bench number means you are strong, but scouts tend to be more interested in other numbers such as 3-cone time and shuttle runs. Some players can refuse to take part in certain parts of the pre-draft testing process, and other players who may be rehabbing an injury might not be tested at all.

4. Player interviews.

We can hear players and their coaches being interviewed by the media on ESPN, NFL Total Access, or Sirius NFL Radio, but those questions tend to be more of the softball variety as opposed to the hard-hitting inquiries that front office personnel would be asking. Teams need to try to get as much information about a player's attitude, work ethic, football IQ, love of the game, leadership qualities, etc. but we don't have access to very much of this information as outsiders.

5. Medical evaluations.

We know when players suffer major injuries such as torn ACL's, when they had surgery, when they are available to return to practice or games, but beyond that, we are completely blind as to any details about a particular player's medical history due to HIPAA laws.

To sum up, we as fans have access to a small amount of information with regard to each of these parts of a player evaluation, but by no means do we fans have anywhere close to the amount of information that the teams are able to collect. I have opinions about these players, both good and bad, but I'm not so delusional to think that I could possibly know even close to as much about any of them as Colbert and our scouts do.

Exactly . The team makes INFORMED decisions based on huge amounts of data

Everyone can criticize but realize the experts are making the decisions.

hawaiiansteel
04-28-2019, 05:11 PM
Hahaha.. yeah it’s fun. I did that to a poster last season who said Conner wasn’t going to be a legit starter. Me and another poster called that poster out and because of his embarrassment, he’s been stalking me from thread to thread ever since. Lol.

Be carful North in doing that because if you expose someone like that , their feelings get hurt. I didn’t know it was a big deal at the time until that poster kept stalking me from thread to thread bringing it up.

perhaps this would be a good time for you to move on from that also.

just saying...

Steel Maniac
04-28-2019, 05:30 PM
perhaps this would be a good time for you to move on from that also.

just saying...

I have; just giving a little advice.

Oh wow
04-28-2019, 08:29 PM

You have serious issues.

Steel Maniac
04-28-2019, 10:04 PM
You have serious issues.

So says Kettle....

Northern_Blitz
04-29-2019, 07:31 AM

I think it's good practice to provide a link if you're going to take someone to task for an opinion you think they had.

There are certainly some posters around here who misremember / make up / take to the extreme what other people posted. I think posting a link helps everyone see what was actually said. The search function on this site isn't great, but it's good enough IMO.

I think doing this will help us avoid erecting strawmen. Then we can spend more time talking about the Steelers instead of dealing with petty he said / he said arguments.

Providing links (and quotes) to what was actually said might also be a good way to spare people's feelings if they feel like a victim when people disagree with them.

Oh wow
04-29-2019, 07:56 AM
I think it's good practice to provide a link if you're going to take someone to task for an opinion you think they had.

There are certainly some posters around here who misremember / make up / take to the extreme what other people posted. I think posting a link helps everyone see what was actually said. The search function on this site isn't great, but it's good enough IMO.

I think doing this will help us avoid erecting strawmen. Then we can spend more time talking about the Steelers instead of dealing with petty he said / he said arguments.

Providing links (and quotes) to what was actually said might also be a good way to spare people's feelings if they feel like a victim when people disagree with them.

He’s trolling. What’s sad is he has the guy on ignore but can’t stop talking about him.

I would say it’s a feminine trait but that would be an insult to women.

Steel Maniac
04-29-2019, 08:03 AM
North, if what I said about what he said wasn’t true, he would not have been acting like a stalker through out every thread m. I was not the only one to call him out; someone else did too. And...neither I nor you have the time to quite caption Everthing that is said in these threads. People have lives last I checked.

It was no big deal to me initially; it was all in fun. But he took it personal because of how embarrassingly wrong he was about Conner. His actions of stalking me thread after thread should tell you if what I said he said was true or not.

The only reason this was even brought back up is as a cationary example.

North, let’s put this to bed. And talk football.

Steel Maniac
04-29-2019, 08:07 AM
He’s trolling. What’s sad is he has the guy on ignore but can’t stop talking about him.

I would say it’s a feminine trait but that would be an insult to women.

So you still haven’t gotten over being wrong about Leveon’s contract huh? Such a bitter little guy you are.

Terrapin
04-29-2019, 08:19 AM
It seems not everyone is climaxing over the Steelers draft.

https://www.rotoworld.com/article/nfl-draft-grades/silvas-afc-draft-grades?page=1

Overview: Even if GM Kevin Colbert felt he had to do it, turning Antonio Brown into returner/slot guy Johnson and Jesse James clone Gentry reflects poorly from an on-paper grading standpoint. And Colbert kicked off the draft with a desperate trade up, sending the 52nd pick and next year’s third-rounder to Denver for an off-ball linebacker at No. 10 overall. Layne’s production-athleticism combo made him a worthwhile third-round target for Pittsburgh’s cornerback need, but Snell was a poor fourth-round investment with minimal receiving production and brutal athletic results. Smith reminded me of Shea McClellin during the pre-draft phase as a big-time small-school producer with a questionable position fit. Buggs projects as a one-trick, two-down role player. When considering all factors – including trading a Hall of Famer for peanuts – this was one of the most disappointing hauls in the league.

Grade: D

Steel Maniac
04-29-2019, 08:21 AM

https://www.rotoworld.com/article/nfl-draft-grades/silvas-afc-draft-grades?page=1

Overview: Even if GM Kevin Colbert felt he had to do it, turning Antonio Brown into returner/slot guy Johnson and Jesse James clone Gentry reflects poorly from an on-paper grading standpoint. And Colbert kicked off the draft with a desperate trade up, sending the 52nd pick and next year’s third-rounder to Denver for an off-ball linebacker at No. 10 overall. Layne’s production-athleticism combo made him a worthwhile third-round target for Pittsburgh’s cornerback need, but Snell was a poor fourth-round investment with minimal receiving production and brutal athletic results. Smith reminded me of Shea McClellin during the pre-draft phase as a big-time small-school producer with a questionable position fit. Buggs projects as a one-trick, two-down role player. When considering all factors – including trading a Hall of Famer for peanuts – this was one of the most disappointing hauls in the league.

Wow... what a rip job!!!!

Oviedo
04-29-2019, 09:34 AM

Why do we care what anyone not in the Steelers organization cares? They have no idea what the Steelers eval or future plans are.

Northern_Blitz
04-29-2019, 09:42 AM
Why do we care what anyone not in the Steelers organization cares? They have no idea what the Steelers eval or future plans are.

This.

Good or bad, instant draft analysis is just guessing.

Drafting is like picking individual stocks. There is some relevant data, but future performance for any of them is a crap shoot.

STH70
04-29-2019, 10:06 AM
And Colbert kicked off the draft with a desperate trade up,
This analysis lost credibility with this comment. The trade up and Bush pick was the most logical and probably the BEST move of the entire draft.

Northern_Blitz
04-29-2019, 10:34 AM
This analysis lost credibility with this comment. The trade up and Bush pick was the most logical and probably the BEST move of the entire draft.

I strongly agree with this.

Oh wow
04-29-2019, 11:33 AM
So you still haven’t gotten over being wrong about Leveon’s contract huh? Such a bitter little guy you are.

See, you can’t stop doing it.

You run around with straws all day throwing out people’s names instead of sticking to the topic.

No one is correct about every prediction and most people have no problem admitting when they are wrong..

except you.

I could bring up how you were wrong bout Tomlin being fired this year.

I could bring up how you were wrong about you saying Dobbs wasn’t a running QB on college.

I could bring up how you said Cleveland had no chance to beat the Ravens in the last game and then how you bragged about being right after they were a first down from a FG to win it which was the dumbest celebration I have ever seen on here.

I could bring up how you guaranteed Minnesota was SB bound last year because they signed Kirk Cousins.

but I won’t do that. LOL.

What u will bring up is in your short amount of time here you have burned a ton of bridges and bragged about having people on ignore while gossiping about them.

How about sticking to the topic and having fun instead of bringing up Ruthless once a week?

Oh wow
04-29-2019, 11:34 AM

Folks need clicks. He’s just doing his job.

Steel Maniac
04-29-2019, 11:36 AM
This.

Good or bad, instant draft analysis is just guessing.

Drafting is like picking individual stocks. There is some relevant data, but future performance for any of them is a crap shoot.

I agree that the ultimate judge of a draft is two to three years down the line.

Steel Maniac
04-29-2019, 11:39 AM

I concur; Colbert/Tomlin did a ton of research on the linebacker position. And you've got to think that if they felt that Bush was that valuable, then I just think they have to be right about their assessment of him. I personally have no doubt about what Bush will do now because the due diligence by Colbert I believe in.

ikestops85
04-29-2019, 01:36 PM

Also when he said Buggs would be a one-trick pony, a 2 down role player. I wonder if he knows he lead that d-line in sacks?

RuthlessBurgher
04-29-2019, 02:06 PM
Also when he said Buggs would be a one-trick pony, a 2 down role player. I wonder if he knows he lead that d-line in sacks?

It was only Alabama, though, so it's not that impressive. ;)

Oviedo
04-29-2019, 02:09 PM

Let's not forget that our D-Line Coach was his D-Line Coach in college. Think he might know some things?

Ghost
04-29-2019, 02:39 PM
It'd be great if Buggs made the team and was a viable depth pick. But not sure Dunbar being the coach makes a difference. Last year Joshua Frazier was drafted from Bama and he didn't even make the practice squad.