PDA

View Full Version : Zach Gentry, TE

Buzz
04-27-2019, 01:56 PM
Your 5th round pick. Projected as an UDFA on many boards.

Head-scratcher

Steel Maniac
04-27-2019, 01:58 PM
I thought Colbert would really knock this draft out the park. I was wrong.,

Buzz
04-27-2019, 02:00 PM
Gentry will not be much of a run-blocking option, but more of a seam receiver. Essentially another tall (6'8") WR option for Ben.

Moonie
04-27-2019, 02:01 PM
Hack Bentry?

steelerkeylargo
04-27-2019, 02:04 PM
First pick I hate.

MeetJoeGreene
04-27-2019, 02:04 PM
So.. we basically got nothing for AB.

Steel Maniac
04-27-2019, 02:06 PM
I want to wait and see what Colbert does in the 6th round

hawaiiansteel
04-27-2019, 02:07 PM
here's your big receiver Ben!

Shawn
04-27-2019, 02:08 PM
Yeah, slow, raw and tall. With Warring on the board this was a massive swing and miss.

dreegking
04-27-2019, 02:11 PM
Meh. Again, two days Picks in a row where I’m Not a big fan.

Eddie Spaghetti
04-27-2019, 02:13 PM
if McDonald goes down with an injury this team is in deep doodoo at the TE position

The Man of Steel
04-27-2019, 02:15 PM
Another Matt Kranchick.

Buzz
04-27-2019, 02:17 PM
Overall draft indicates Colbert/Tomlin's mindset for the future of this team. They're not too concerned about getting more pressure on the opposing QB, nor are they worried about having a true center-fielder in the defensive backfield. On offense, indications are it's gonna be an even wider-open passing attack than it has been.

Prowler
04-27-2019, 02:17 PM
Yeah, slow, raw and tall. With Warring on the board this was a massive swing and miss.

Warring was drafted in the 3rd round by the Texans,

Steel Maniac
04-27-2019, 02:18 PM

I don’t know what Colbert is seeing.

Steel Maniac
04-27-2019, 02:20 PM
Overall draft indicates Colbert/Tomlin's mindset for the future of this team. They're not too concerned about getting more pressure on the opposing QB, nor are they worried about having a true center-fielder in the defensive backfield. On offense, indications are it's gonna be an even wider-open passing attack than it has been.

This tells me that Tomlin is for the most part satisfied in the secondary.

Shawn
04-27-2019, 02:22 PM
Warring was drafted in the 3rd round by the Texans, My bad didn't see that. Still a horrific pick.

Shawn
04-27-2019, 02:22 PM
I don’t know what Colbert is seeing. Replacement for JJ because Ben likes tall. He is a poor man's JJ who wasn't good.

Prowler
04-27-2019, 02:23 PM
My bad didn't see that. Still a horrific pick.

I agree with you there. This might be by least favorite Steeler's draft ever.

Disco1981
04-27-2019, 02:24 PM
This tells me that Tomlin is for the most part satisfied in the secondary.

Well...We added Neldon, Layne, and in a way Barron...So it was addressed, Not neglected imo

SidSmythe
04-27-2019, 02:26 PM
The only thing I can make out of this pick is he hasn't grown into his body yet.
JJ was a similar pick.

I'm thinking the Steelers draft philosophy is to find developmental projects on Day 3....they don't expect anyone to contribute much yr. 1

hawaiiansteel
04-27-2019, 02:26 PM
First pick I hate.
just read a scouting report on Gentry that said: "should be in an NFL training camp." sounds promising :wft

dreegking
04-27-2019, 02:30 PM

He’s not slow. He runs quite well
At 265 actually. He will
Add 10 pounds easy. A
Project with upside. New to
The position mostly. I’d rather take a guy like this in the 5th round, with greater upside, over some of the others closer to their ceiling. I’m
Warming up to This pick.

Mick'sTeam
04-27-2019, 02:33 PM
Wasted pick.

Steel Maniac
04-27-2019, 02:35 PM
Well...We added Neldon, Layne, and in a way Barron...So it was addressed, Not neglected imo

That’s what I mean; other then Layne, Tomlin feels good about the secondary.

Buzz
04-27-2019, 02:37 PM
Weak ... slow ... suspect hands. But he's tall.

I'm thinking Colbert and Co. wanted Moreau (who went just a few picks earlier) and when they couldn't get him they panicked.

Shoulda kept Bucky.

spyboots
04-27-2019, 02:40 PM
The guy was a QB in HS and entered college as a QB; TE was a new position for him. This is the 5th round, not the 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

RobinCole
04-27-2019, 02:46 PM
Why would they panic? Tight ends will be available one way or another. This kid is not “weak” and if he adds 10 pounds of muscle, which he can do easily, he won’t have to be fast at 6’ 8”, 275. Also he’s still a relative newcomer to the position. You have no idea what his upside is.

Iron City Inc.
04-27-2019, 02:49 PM
I'm not against the pick but we couldn't get him in the 6th? Oruwariye Penn St corner still on the board. Was on the board then got selected a few picks later. It's not just who it's value too. Lets hope this JJ replacement pans out.

Lets go D the rest of the way I'll feel better!!!!

Steel Maniac
04-27-2019, 03:04 PM
I'm not against the pick but we couldn't get him in the 6th? Oruwariye Penn St corner still on the board. Was on the board then got selected a few picks later. It's not just who it's value too. Lets hope this JJ replacement pans out.

Lets go D the rest of the way I'll feel better!!!!

Exactly.......

Buzz
04-27-2019, 03:08 PM
I'm not against the pick but we couldn't get him in the 6th?

There's a good chance we could have taken him in the 7th, or got him as an UDFA. Big-time reach in the early 5th.

Disco1981
04-27-2019, 03:11 PM
That’s what I mean; other then Layne, Tomlin feels good about the secondary.

Oh, Sorry Maniac misunderstood...Gotta let this draft play out...Nobody knows on paper...Christ they had some mocks having us take Mack Wilson at 1, Lonnie Johnson, Metcalf in top 10...Dionte Thompson top safety...on and on...Time will tell...Go Steelers!

Shawn
04-27-2019, 03:16 PM
He’s not slow. He runs quite well
At 265 actually. He will
Add 10 pounds easy. A
Project with upside. New to
The position mostly. I’d rather take a guy like this in the 5th round, with greater upside, over some of the others closer to their ceiling. I’m
Warming up to This pick.. He ran a 4.9 40. How fast is he?

Oviedo
04-27-2019, 03:27 PM
This was a developmental pick pure and simple. Lets see how it plays out before everyone acts like hysterical little girls having their first period

"BuzzNuter"
04-27-2019, 03:41 PM
Excellent analogy Oviedo. The Steelers have addressed a lot of needs this off-season. Barron, Nelson and Moncrief. We picked up Bush and we got Ike Taylor II in Layne. We got a true smashmouth back in Snell.
We are going for high character guys. Sometimes when you have strayed from the successful path you go back to what you know. Smashmouth football baby and throw in some receivers to go deep once in a while. Football is still Football and you must impose your will on your opponent.

Steel Maniac
04-27-2019, 03:53 PM
This pick tells you that Colbert is satisfied with McDonald and Grimble at TE. Plain and simple.

hawaiiansteel
04-27-2019, 03:56 PM
This pick tells you that Colbert is satisfied with McDonald and Grimble at TE. Plain and simple.

not necessarily, there's still free agency and TEs who get released in the final cuts from other teams.

Steel Maniac
04-27-2019, 05:04 PM
Those TE’s are going to cost bucks. Like Rudolph of the Vikings. I don’t think that’s where Colbert wants to invest too heavily in.

Oh wow
04-27-2019, 05:17 PM
A late round CB is a wasted pick. A guy like this at TE could have an immediate impact

brothervad
04-27-2019, 05:38 PM
A late round CB is a wasted pick. A guy like this at TE could have an immediate impact

you know it's always good to have someone that can catch a fade in the corner of the endzone at 6'8" to win a game to seal home field advantage for the playoffs (wishful thinking right?)

;)

brothervad

SteelBucks
04-27-2019, 05:55 PM
I loved Gentry at Michigan because he dropped everything thrown his way against Ohio State.

hawaiiansteel
04-27-2019, 09:44 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers: Zach Gentry, TE, Michigan C- Grade

I didn't think there was a good chance Zach Gentry would be drafted. I had him slotted in the seventh round in the end, but I excluded him from my mock at times. He's a raw player with poor athleticism, so he offers a low ceiling and a low floor. This isn't a very good pick.

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades5.php

Buzz
04-27-2019, 09:53 PM
This was a developmental pick pure and simple. Lets see how it plays out before everyone acts like hysterical little girls having their first period

I don't hear anyone being hysterical. Some of us just didn't care for the pick. I think we all hope Gentry becomes a stud.

Buzz
04-27-2019, 09:54 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers: Zach Gentry, TE, Michigan C- Grade

I didn't think there was a good chance Zach Gentry would be drafted. I had him slotted in the seventh round in the end, but I excluded him from my mock at times. He's a raw player with poor athleticism, so he offers a low ceiling and a low floor. This isn't a very good pick.

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades5.php

obviously that grade was given by some hysterical little girl who was having her first period

Steel Maniac
04-27-2019, 10:18 PM
obviously that grade was given by some hysterical little girl who was having her first period

Boom.........

Oh wow
04-27-2019, 11:08 PM
you know it's always good to have someone that can catch a fade in the corner of the endzone at 6'8" to win a game to seal home field advantage for the playoffs (wishful thinking right?)

;)

brothervad

or just hold onto the ball when breaking the goal line to clinch the number 1 seed.

Shawn
04-28-2019, 02:59 AM
This was a developmental pick pure and simple. Lets see how it plays out before everyone acts like hysterical little girls having their first period O, stop being a douche and let people have an opinion. You are so rah rah it makes me nauseous.

RobinCole
04-28-2019, 06:44 AM
Of course the guy is “raw”. He was originally a QB who has been playing TE for two (2) years. Yes, a project, but even the talking heads and writers who are doing their “instant grading” admit that it takes years to really evaluate a draft class. A reminder: We did not lose our starting tight end. New England did. That’s why NE had to look for a TE who hopefully could contribute immediately.

Steelerphile
04-28-2019, 08:15 AM
Gentry appears to be somewhat unathletic but if you look at little closer at him, I think he is a credible prospect, and probably better than he is getting credit for from the fan takes.

Taking peek at some of the career stats:

Gentry played two seasons as a TE. 49 receptions; 68.1% catch rate; 817 total yards; 289 yac yards; 16.7 yards per reception; 8 drops

Top TE comparisons:

Hockenson: 73 receptions; 76% catch rate; 1064 total yards; 486 yac yards; 14.6 yards per reception; 2 drops.
He has two seasons of production

Fant: 78 receptions; 59.5% catch rate; 1084 total yards; 476 yac yards; 13.9 yards per reception; 13 drops
He has three seasons of production

Fans liked
Foster Moreau: 52 receptions; 73.2% catch rate; 629 total yards; 387 yac yards; 12.1 yards per reception; 6 drops.

The thing I am seeing on Gentry is that perhaps surprisingly his yards per reception is the best of this group. and his catch percentage is pretty good
given that he converted somewhat reluctantly to TE. So I think the Steelers drafted a decent prospect. He is someone I will be watching more
closely.

Oviedo
04-28-2019, 08:28 AM
O, stop being a douche and let people have an opinion. You are so rah rah it makes me nauseous.
Shawn-quit being a douche and let me have my opinion. Funny how it’s ok to be negative but staying positive is a bad thing

Disco1981
04-28-2019, 08:28 AM
Gentry appears to be somewhat unathletic but if you look at little closer at him, I think he is a credible prospect, and probably better than he is getting credit for from the fan takes.

Taking peek at some of the career stats:

Gentry played two seasons as a TE. 49 receptions; 68.1% catch rate; 817 total yards; 289 yac yards; 16.7 yards per reception; 8 drops

Top TE comparisons:

Hockenson: 73 receptions; 76% catch rate; 1064 total yards; 486 yac yards; 14.6 yards per reception; 2 drops.
He has two seasons of production

Fant: 78 receptions; 59.5% catch rate; 1084 total yards; 476 yac yards; 13.9 yards per reception; 13 drops
He has three seasons of production

Fans liked
Foster Moreau: 52 receptions; 73.2% catch rate; 629 total yards; 387 yac yards; 12.1 yards per reception; 6 drops.

The thing I am seeing on Gentry is that perhaps surprisingly his yards per reception is the best of this group. and his catch percentage is pretty good
given that he converted somewhat reluctantly to TE. So I think the Steelers drafted a decent prospect. He is someone I will be watching more
closely.

Jesse James was as unathletic as they come...Slow and weak, and couldn't block...

Most people loved him

Shawn
04-28-2019, 09:08 AM
Shawn-quit being a douche and let me have my opinion. Funny how it’s ok to be negative but staying positive is a bad thing. Your “opinion” is condescending and arrogant and directed towards well meaning members who are just having fun. The fact is this, in all your “scouting” days I can only remember one you got correct. Hence the saltiness I suppose.

Shawn
04-28-2019, 09:09 AM
Jesse James was as unathletic as they come...Slow and weak, and couldn't block...

Most people loved him. Personally, I was very glad when he left. But I did want to replace him with someone like Warring. I guess we will see about Gentry. Can the dude at least high point a ball?

Steel Maniac
04-28-2019, 11:56 AM
Well, let’s look at the bright side...

He comes to camp and he’s going to get an extensive lesson in run blocking; so he’s going to be forged practicing run blocking up the wazoo for the next 4 months; lifting weights, molding and shaping him. This kid by August should be better at run blocking if nothing else. And if he is, he can possibly stay on the field ( if called upon) and could be a huge target for Ben.

Steel Maniac
04-28-2019, 12:15 PM

Most people loved him

Steeler fans have an over the top love for TE’s; and I get it because of what Heath meant to us. But the love affair we have for that position is a little too over the top.

Shawn
04-28-2019, 12:18 PM
Well, let’s look at the bright side...

He comes to camp and he’s going to get an extensive lesson in run blocking; so he’s going to be forged practicing run blocking up the wazoo for the next 4 months; lifting weights, molding and shaping him. This kid by August should be better at run blocking if nothing else. And if he is, he can possibly stay on the field ( if called upon) and could be a huge target for Ben. As long as he can high point a ball in the endzone, I'll call it a good pick.

Steel Maniac
04-28-2019, 12:21 PM
As long as he can high point a ball in the endzone, I'll call it a good pick.

I agree with you.

hawaiiansteel
04-28-2019, 08:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=27&v=YRttqsW0vTE

Northern_Blitz
04-29-2019, 09:45 AM
Steeler fans have an over the top love for TE’s; and I get it because of what Heath meant to us. But the love affair we have for that position is a little too over the top.

I also find that there's a bias toward guys who played college close by. Particularly guys who produced in college despite not having elite athletic ability.

People like underdogs.

Shawn
04-29-2019, 10:05 AM
The guy looks runs a baby deer freshly birthed, way too many body catches, subpar route running, and did he break one tackle? Man, I hope the Steelers know something we don't about this guy.

Buzz
04-29-2019, 11:04 AM
They must believe they can develop him, because from what I've seen, he sure looks to be a long way from a professional TE. And stashing him on the PS for development is OK. But we really need a TE who can be added to the roster right away. McDonald hasn't exactly been known for staying healthy. Perhaps they're looking to add Maxx Williams, or some other TE that will be available in FA.

RuthlessBurgher
04-29-2019, 11:13 AM
Folks keep talking about adding another TE as a post-draft free agent signing, but I think after cutting Morgan Burnett not drafting a safety this past weekend, that could be the way we lean instead.

I realize that Mark Barron will likely be handling Burnett's dimebacker role, but we could use another pure safety on the roster.

There are still guys available such as Eric Berry (if healthy) and Tre Boston (I don't understand why this guy always seems to be available for peanuts each offseason...there must be something I'm missing here).

We would have do some contract restructuring to make it happen, though, if that's they way we decide to go.

Steel Maniac
05-02-2019, 05:34 PM
Maxx Williams was signed by the Cardinals

Ghost
05-02-2019, 05:58 PM
34.5 inch arms gives him an insane catch radius. And he’s 6’7 and not shy of contact. Yes, he’s a little stiff but there’s certainly potential there. Let’s see what Coach Daniel can do with him. Maybe McDonald helps him out as well. Worst case he’s a draft and stash guy and he developes into a usable TE in the near future.

Oh wow
05-02-2019, 06:07 PM
If he plays like Jesse James it’s a nice pick up.

Steel Maniac
05-02-2019, 06:25 PM
All we can do is hope at this point.

hawaiiansteel
05-02-2019, 06:34 PM
If he plays like Jesse James it’s a nice pick up.

I still can't believe how much $$$ the Lions gave James, only to draft TJ Hockenson at #8.

RuthlessBurgher
05-03-2019, 12:19 PM
Friday, May 03, 2019 12:00 PM

'He will continue to improve and get better'

Mike Prisuta

Steelers.com

Why you should be excited about fifth-round pick Zach Gentry:

He has room to grow: Gentry, 6-foot-8 and 265 pounds, is relatively new to the tight end position, so he’s still developing as a player.

“He's a good football player, long frame,” tight ends coach James Daniel assessed. “He went to Michigan as a quarterback, and he's converted to tight end. He's had a couple years of experience playing there. He's a guy we are excited about getting in and getting to work with.”

He’s committed to getting better: “He can become a good blocker, I think,” Daniel said. “I think the kid is excited about it and willing.”

He’s traveled an NFL path: “He's learning how to become an NFL tight end,” General Manager Kevin Colbert said. “Playing in an NFL scheme coming out of Michigan, he's got a good start on it.

“He will continue to improve and get better.”

Added Gentry: “I saw a lot of people come through Michigan onto the professional football field. It helped me first of all going up against those guys in practice each day, competing against them, and working out with them. It’s just that part of it that prepares you for the NFL, along with the way the Michigan program is run and type of offense we run, as well.”

He’s productive: Gentry caught 49 passes for 817 yards and four touchdowns over the last two seasons, including 32 for 514 yards and two scores last season, when he led Michigan with 11.2 yards per target.

He’s hard to miss: “I’m a big target, but I think I’ll be able to take some hits, as well, because of my size,” Gentry said.

He’s seen the Devin Bush magic firsthand: “I can’t say enough good things about Devin Bush,” Gentry said. “He’s a great teammate, a great leader, just a freak athlete. I don’t think they could have picked anybody better in the first round. He’s so fast, great leverage, gets underneath you and he thumps you. I think that’s a tremendous pick.”

He doesn’t see Bush’s size (5-11, 234) as an issue: “Oh, absolutely not,” Gentry insisted. “No. Devin Bush’s skill set, his motor, it’s not going to matter whatsoever.”

He has football bloodlines: Gentry’s grandfather Bill was the fifth coach from the state of New Mexico to be inducted into the National High School Hall of Fame with 305 wins over his 38-year coaching career.

https://www.steelers.com/news/he-will-continue-to-improve-and-get-better

Oh wow
05-03-2019, 12:45 PM
The guy looks runs a baby deer freshly birthed, way too many body catches, subpar route running, and did he break one tackle? Man, I hope the Steelers know something we don't about this guy.

How many tackles did Heath break? ..and no, I’m not saying he is a Heath Miller but breaking tackles isn’t high on my list for TE’s. Dude is huge. Hopefully he makes a few DB’s feel it when they make contact.

Dude looks like a JJ clone IMO and I thought JJ was serviceable given when he was drafted.

steelerkeylargo
05-03-2019, 02:22 PM

Can't disagree with any of that assessment

RuthlessBurgher
05-09-2019, 07:31 PM
By Darin Gantt
May 9, 2019, 4:16 PM EDT
Steelers sign fifth-rounder Zach Gentry

Some teams sign their picks in bulk. The Steelers seem intent to drag this out a little bit at a time.

The team announced the signing of fifth-round pick Zach Gentry to his four-year deal.

The tight end from Michigan (a converted quarterback), has a chance to contribute, after they lost Jesse James to the Lions in free agency.

The Steelers have now signed seven of their nine draft picks, leaving just first-round linebacker Devin Bush and third-round cornerback Justin Layne.

hawaiiansteel
06-01-2019, 01:26 AM
Pittsburgh Steelers: TE Zach Gentry

To say that Zach Gentry is a big target in the passing game is an understatement. The converted quarterback is 6'8" and 265 pounds.

Yes, you read that right—6'8".

Gentry arrived at Michigan as a highly touted QB prospect, but after redshirting he made the move to tight end. Given how recently he started playing the position, Gentry remains a work in progress. But as Joe Rutter reported for the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Gentry caught the eye of head coach Mike Tomlin in rookie camp.

"It's reasonable to expect him to get a lot better and do so in a short period of time," Tomlin said. "We'll see."

Vance McDonald is the Steelers' starting tight end, but behind him things cloud up quickly.

If Gentry can demonstrate to coaches that he's making progress as both a receiver and a blocker in camp, Pittsburgh is going to want to figure out a way to get him on the field.

Because, you know, the whole 6'8" thing.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2837684-predicting-every-nfl-teams-surprise-rookie-gem#slide27

Steel Maniac
06-01-2019, 11:30 AM
He has 3-4 months to become a better blocker and bulk up. Let’s see him in training camp and see where he’s at then.

Captain Lemming
06-02-2019, 01:25 AM
Let’s see what Coach Daniel can do with him.

"Coach" Daniel?
I think the proper word is "Sensei"

http://www.maactioncinema.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/karatekod.jpg

Disco1981
06-02-2019, 06:54 PM
He has 3-4 months to become a better blocker and bulk up. Let’s see him in training camp and see where he’s at then.

Idk about " bulking " up...He is 265 pounds...He either bulks up, and becomes a house, 6th OL type TE, Who can Slip out occasionally one in awhile in a jumbo package, and catch a 5 yard pass...

Or...Stay the same weight, and work on his speed and agility, and become at least a reliable short yardage option

Steel Maniac
06-02-2019, 07:29 PM
Maybe “bulk up” is the wrong term; but get stronger.

RuthlessBurgher
06-03-2019, 10:08 AM
Idk about " bulking " up...He is 265 pounds...He either bulks up, and becomes a house, 6th OL type TE, Who can Slip out occasionally one in awhile in a jumbo package, and catch a 5 yard pass...

Or...Stay the same weight, and work on his speed and agility, and become at least a reliable short yardage option

Yeah, the dude is 265 lbs. but when that weight is spread out over a 6'8" frame, he's nowhere close to a house 6th OL type TE.

https://www.mlive.com/resizer/dxt4n0ApqXGsiuCn-zrnSsh0W0c=/600x0/arc-anglerfish-arc2-prod-advancelocal.s3.amazonaws.com/public/UHY4ZXBLZRGCJBYI7YP7THWCJ4.JPG

Steel Maniac
06-03-2019, 10:22 AM
Hey Ford fixer,

Can you please delete those post that some poster has put up advertising stuff?

hawaiiansteel
06-06-2019, 03:23 AM
Pittsburgh Steelers: Meet the pick, TE Zach Gentry

by Brandon Kring

The Steelers had a big year from Vance McDonald and it was much-needed. Unfortunately Jesse James left in free agency – leaving the team to draft Zach Gentry in the fifth round.

The Pittsburgh Steelers have searched for tight end depth and production ever since Heath Miller hung up his cleats prior to the 2016 NFL season. They drafted Jesse James in 2015 and signed a big play guy in Ladarius Green in 2016 to try to fill Miller’s shoes.

Green had injury issues when playing for the Chargers and those issues continued in Pittsburgh. He rarely saw the field and proved to be a wasted splash signing by the Steelers.

Jesse James, however, has provided the Steelers with consistency and depth since his rookie season. The Steelers always seemed reluctant to give him the keys to the starting role, as shown by signing Green then trading for McDonald in back to back seasons.

James left Pittsburgh for Detroit with a sour taste in his mouth and no one can really blame him. This left the Steelers with a need at tight end and they filled it with a guy who many would consider to be a Jesse James clone.

Zach Gentry is a lot like James in that he is a huge tight end that can run well for his size. James stood at 6’7″ and weighed 261 pounds coming out of Penn State, while Gentry stands an inch taller at 6’8″ and 265. Both showed respectable 40 times for their size with Gentry at 4.9 (unofficial) and James at 4.83.

James is the stronger of the two and a bit more athletic but if you’re trying to get an idea for what Gentry will be in Pittsburgh, you should definitely think Jesse James in his rookie year. Gentry is a little more raw than James was but their similarities are hard to ignore.

Gentry was recruited as a quarterback originally to Michigan and made the switch to tight end in his junior season. He compiled 49 catches for 817 yards and four touchdowns in just two seasons at tight end.

He is in a similar position as James was in his rookie season. While he isn’t sitting behind a Steelers legend, he does have the luxury of not having to be a number one and sitting behind an established veteran like Vance McDonald.

If Gentry can use his size to his advantage in his run blocking and keep learning the tight end position, his athleticism will make his potential ceiling even higher than Jesse James’ was. Only time will tell, but I think Gentry could develop into a nice option for the Steelers passing game in a few years.

https://stillcurtain.com/2019/06/05/steelers-meet-zach-gentry/

Oviedo
06-06-2019, 07:47 AM
Pittsburgh Steelers: Meet the pick, TE Zach Gentry

by Brandon Kring

The Steelers had a big year from Vance McDonald and it was much-needed. Unfortunately Jesse James left in free agency – leaving the team to draft Zach Gentry in the fifth round.

The Pittsburgh Steelers have searched for tight end depth and production ever since Heath Miller hung up his cleats prior to the 2016 NFL season. They drafted Jesse James in 2015 and signed a big play guy in Ladarius Green in 2016 to try to fill Miller’s shoes.

Green had injury issues when playing for the Chargers and those issues continued in Pittsburgh. He rarely saw the field and proved to be a wasted splash signing by the Steelers.

Jesse James, however, has provided the Steelers with consistency and depth since his rookie season. The Steelers always seemed reluctant to give him the keys to the starting role, as shown by signing Green then trading for McDonald in back to back seasons.

James left Pittsburgh for Detroit with a sour taste in his mouth and no one can really blame him. This left the Steelers with a need at tight end and they filled it with a guy who many would consider to be a Jesse James clone.

Zach Gentry is a lot like James in that he is a huge tight end that can run well for his size. James stood at 6’7″ and weighed 261 pounds coming out of Penn State, while Gentry stands an inch taller at 6’8″ and 265. Both showed respectable 40 times for their size with Gentry at 4.9 (unofficial) and James at 4.83.

James is the stronger of the two and a bit more athletic but if you’re trying to get an idea for what Gentry will be in Pittsburgh, you should definitely think Jesse James in his rookie year. Gentry is a little more raw than James was but their similarities are hard to ignore.

Gentry was recruited as a quarterback originally to Michigan and made the switch to tight end in his junior season. He compiled 49 catches for 817 yards and four touchdowns in just two seasons at tight end.

He is in a similar position as James was in his rookie season. While he isn’t sitting behind a Steelers legend, he does have the luxury of not having to be a number one and sitting behind an established veteran like Vance McDonald.

If Gentry can use his size to his advantage in his run blocking and keep learning the tight end position, his athleticism will make his potential ceiling even higher than Jesse James’ was. Only time will tell, but I think Gentry could develop into a nice option for the Steelers passing game in a few years.

https://stillcurtain.com/2019/06/05/steelers-meet-zach-gentry/

Very curious about what Gentry can do. Anxious to see him in pads at camp and in preseason games

Steel Maniac
06-06-2019, 09:05 AM
Love his speed down the seam; he definitely has potential. I just think we'll see more of it in the 2020 season compared to this coming season.

RuthlessBurgher
06-06-2019, 10:39 AM
Speed down the seam? A 6'8" 265 lbs. guy who ran a 4.9 40? You love that guy's speed down the seam???

Disco1981
06-06-2019, 11:24 AM
Speed down the seam? A 6'8" 265 lbs. guy who ran a 4.9 40? You love that guy's speed down the seam???

Maniac...I agree with alot of your posts...But yes, Please explain :rolleyes:

RuthlessBurgher
06-06-2019, 11:30 AM
Maniac...I agree with alot of your posts...But yes, Please explain :rolleyes:

Gentry running down the seam against NFL DB's seems like it would be a baby giraffe trying to gallop among cheetahs.

ikestops85
06-06-2019, 03:21 PM

He came out with another great one. The guy is hilarious. I don't know how he does it. :lol::lol::Clap

RuthlessBurgher
06-06-2019, 03:33 PM
He came out with another great one. The guy is hilarious. I don't know how he does it. :lol::lol::Clap

You might as well say that you loved Casey Hampton's vertical leaping ability or loved Gary Anderson's bench press.

hawaiiansteel
06-06-2019, 03:43 PM
You might as well say that you loved Casey Hampton's vertical leaping ability

when Big Snack jumped, you could barely slide a piece of paper between the bottom of his shoes and the ground.

Oh wow
06-06-2019, 03:51 PM
SM serving up softballs lately.

RuthlessBurgher
06-06-2019, 04:01 PM
when Big Snack jumped, you could barely slide a piece of paper between the bottom of his shoes and the ground.

But when he came back down to earth even after that fraction of a millimeter worth of hangtime, seismologists were aware of his presence in the area. That's why the Combine is held in Indianapolis rather than, say, L.A., because no fault lines to worry about. ;)

Northern_Blitz
06-06-2019, 04:29 PM
But when he came back down to earth even after that fraction of a millimeter worth of hangtime, seismologists were aware of his presence in the area. That's why the Combine is held in Indianapolis rather than, say, L.A., because no fault lines to worry about. ;)

I think it's more like he pushed the earth down and it came back to him.

hawaiiansteel
06-15-2019, 03:57 AM
Pouncey puts wrap on spring practice, identifies top sleepers

By JIM WEXELL

PITTSBURGH -- The seer has spoken - although he spoke like a sportswriter.

Yes, Maurkice Pouncey is overthinking his spring sleeper this year.

At minicamp 2017, Pouncey easily identified Mike Hilton as the player to watch at training camp. Last year, the team captain called out rookie Chuks Okorafor following minicamp. Both Hilton and Okorafor made the team, started, earned coaching raves, and remain with the team.

This year, Pouncey couldn't narrow it down to one player, only a position.

"Man, honestly, it's going to be one of the young tight ends," Pouncey said. "I don't even know who it's going to be yet - maybe the guy we drafted from Michigan, maybe the undrafted kid, 87. But I think one of the young tight ends will be one of the guys. And obviously I like my Florida kid. He's looking really good in practice, too."

Undrafted rookie guard Fred Johnson is Pouncey's "Florida kid." The 6-7, 326-pound Gator was playing right guard on the second-team line, even with David DeCastro, the first-teamer, back at practice. Johnson was the only rookie playing on the first or second line during veteran days at minicamp.

Later in the afternoon, when Pouncey was pressed to make a call and not intellectualize his sleeper pick with team needs, he could only drop Johnson to honorable mention status.

"The two tight ends are my picks," Pouncey said. "I like both of them. It's going to be out of those two because, you know, we need one of them."

The Steelers return veteran tight ends Vance McDonald and Xavier Grimble, but they lost Jesse James in free agency, didn't re-sign Jake McGee or Ryan Malleck off injured reserve, and then released practice squad TE Bucky Hodges a day before the draft.

To replace them, the Steelers signed No. 87, Kevin Rader, to a futures contract on January 9, and then selected No. 81, Zach Gentry, in the fifth round of April's draft.

The Steelers also return English rubgy player Christian Scotland-Williamson to their roster via the NFL's International Player Pathway program, but he's still learning the game. They also added Texas A&M's Trevor Wood, a 6-6, 265-pounder with long-snapping ability, after the draft.

But Pouncey chose Rader and Gentry, even though he couldn't find a particular order.

"I haven't seen enough yet because we haven't done a lot since we don't have pads on, so I can't pick the guy," Pouncey said. "The other guys, like when I picked Hilton, it was like 'This (expletive)'s blitzing and picking plays off.' And Chuks played on the line so I already knew he could play. But out of those two guys, trust me, it's gonna be one of them. Mark my words now."

Pouncey agreed to let one of the veteran tight ends break the tie, but the most tenured of that group, Grimble, couldn't decide.

"Hmmmm, 81 and 87," Grimble pondered. "Too close to call. I have to wait till camp."

Gentry consistently worked with the top groups during spring workouts. His touchdown on the last play of the final team scrimmage of minicamp sparked a raucous celebration for the offense.

The 6-8, 265-pounder caught 49 passes at an impressive 16.7 yards per catch and scored four touchdowns in his only two seasons as a starter at Michigan. He grew up in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and went to Michigan as a quarterback but was moved to tight end. When he arrived in Pittsburgh he was given his college number, 83, but acquiesced to Ben Roethlisberger's request to switch numbers out of respect for the great Heath Miller, who wore 83 throughout his 11-year career with the Steelers.

Rader (6-4, 250) was born in Pittsburgh and attended Pine-Richland High in the north suburbs before heading off to Youngstown State as a defensive end. He was moved to tight end as a redshirt sophomore, caught 41 passes at 14.7 yards per catch, and was signed after the 2018 draft by the Green Bay Packers.

Rader drew raves from Mike Tomlin on the practice field Tuesday after a downfield block inside the 5-yard line catapulted Tevin Jones into the end zone to complete a long catch-and-run.

"That's my game," Rader said later. When asked if he meant downfield blocking, he said, "No, playing until the whistle."

Rader grew up idolizing Miller and believes No. 83 should be retired by the Steelers.

We'll have much more on both Gentry and Rader next week, but since Pouncey was in a talkative mood, he wanted to deliver one final spring comment on the evolution of the team's chemistry following a chaotic 2018 season featuring since-departed superstars Le'Veon Bell and Antonio Brown.

"Everyone's locked in," Pouncey said. "It actually has a good feeling to it. Things have been fun at practice because it's all about football."

Are the Steelers making a point of coming together?

"Yeah," Pouncey said. "Honestly, man, it was all worth it. Things happen, man. When you have a relationship that's lasted so long, with so many ups and downs, some days I love 'em, some days I hate 'em. That's just how it is. Sometimes people don't understand the real meaning of that and what that actually leads to. But actually, man, things have been great. We appreciate everything that everybody's done in the past and there's no more talking bad about anyone. We respect everything they've done and we're glad for them. Go on and carry on your career somewhere else and be happy about it."

Pouncey paused before putting a wrap on the spring.

"I just like the whole vibe of the team," he said. "Everyone seems happy. Everyone's locked in. Everyone's having a good time."

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Article/Pittsburgh-Steelers-Maurkice-Pouncey-identifies-teams-top-sleepers-for-training-camp-132857971/

Steel Maniac
06-15-2019, 02:41 PM
I'm pulling for Fred Johnson; has all the measurables we like. And has faced good competition in college. I think we all want Gentry to pan out as well. A lot of fans are looking/wanting that next great Steeler TE that they can identify with and Gentry could be that guy. No disrespect to Vance Mcdonald thou...

Oh wow
06-16-2019, 10:58 AM
That they can identify with? What does that mean?

Oviedo
06-16-2019, 03:52 PM
I'm pulling for Fred Johnson; has all the measurables we like. And has faced good competition in college. I think we all want Gentry to pan out as well. A lot of fans are looking/wanting that next great Steeler TE that they can identify with and Gentry could be that guy. No disrespect to Vance Mcdonald thou...

Interesting to see if Johnson can be Foster's replacement. Big dude.

I think Gentry is going to surprise folks and be a big part of the offense, especially red zone, by the end of the season.

Steel Maniac
06-16-2019, 06:30 PM
If Gentry could be that red zone target, just imagine all the weapons at Ben's disposal in the red zone?

hawaiiansteel
06-17-2019, 01:29 AM
Tight end - The sleepers - Zach Gentry and Kevin Rader - are probably set in that order, with Rader the leader for the spot on the practice squad. If Gentry can handle the No. 3 spot on the roster, they won't have to pick a TE up off the final-cuts waiver wire.

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Article/Wexell-Post-springpre-camp-Steelers-preview-writes-itself-132903958/

RuthlessBurgher
06-17-2019, 10:23 AM
That they can identify with? What does that mean?

Most Steeler fans can identify with a 6'8" 265 lbs. dude, right?

Unfortunately, they can relate more to the 265 lbs. part and less with the 6'8" part. ;)

hawaiiansteel
06-17-2019, 06:42 PM
Steelers TE Kevin Rader: ‘I Can’t Let Up, Even For A Play’

By Dave Bryan
Posted on June 17, 2019

The Pittsburgh Steelers 2019 training camp in Latrobe once again should include several very good roster spot battles. One of those battles worth looking forward to as we sit here in the middle of June figures to be for the third and final tight end spot on the 53-man roster. The current combatants for that spot are Kevin Rader, Christian Scotland-Williamson, Trevor Wood and Zach Gentry, the team’s fifth-round draft pick this year out of Michigan. While Gentry will likely be considered the odds-on favorite to win the No. 3 tight end spot this summer, don’t sleep on Rader, a Youngstown State product, who spent all of last spring and summer with the Green Bay Packers.

After playing his freshman season as a defensive lineman at Youngstown State, Rader converted to tight end as a sophomore. He went on to record 41 receptions for 601 yards and 4 touchdowns during his final three seasons that included him registering a career-high 22 catches for 272 yards and two touchdowns as a senior. In his 2018 game against Pittsburgh, Rader caught 6 passes for 100 yards with a long reception of 36 yards. You can see all of those catches below.

Rader is probably best-known for his amazing last-second touchdown catch in the 2016 FCS playoff gamer against Eastern Washington. That catch, which you can see below, included Rader reaching around a defensive player and then catching and pinning the football to the back of that player with his right hand. The two players then fell to the ground and Rader reached his left arm around the other side of the defender to secure the ball, resulting in a game-winning touchdown and a YSU berth in the FCS national championship game.

At his 2018 Youngstown State pro day, Rader reportedly measured in at 6037, 250-pounds and ran his 40-yard-dash in 4.92-seconds. He ultimately went undrafted last year and quickly was signed by the Packers. While he played 32 offensive preseason snaps in three different games for the Packers last year, he was targeted just once and failed to register any stats. Perhaps more interesting is the fact that Rader didn’t log any special teams playing time with the Packers during the preseason.

The Steelers signed Rader to a Reserve/Futures contract this past January and recently the young tight end talked about how that opportunity came about for him.

“When I came home from Green Bay, I didn’t know who was going to be contacting me,” Rader said, according to a recent story by Chuck Greenwood of the Morning Journal. “Honestly, I didn’t get many reps in the in the preseason games. I knew that was going to affect me, because they like to see film. I was home just working out, like I was before coming to the NFL, keeping my body in shape. My agent found me a number of options, but I grew up in Pittsburgh. I signed with the Steelers shortly after the 2018 season ended. I am excited to have the opportunity to be here.”

Assuming he sticks around for this year’s training camp and the preseason, Rader knows that he faces an uphill battle when it comes to him ultimately showing enough this summer at Latrobe to warrant him winning a spot on the initial 53-man roster.

“I can’t let up, even for a play,” said Rader, according to Greenwood. “I have to be ready and able to execute.”

Rader figures to get a lot more preseason playing time this year than he did last year and one has to imagine that will include him also being able to show what he can do on special teams. Sure, he’s probably a long shot to make the Steelers 53-man roster this year, but he’s a player to be aware about once training camp gets underway just the same. He’s been able to stick on the offseason roster since January and that’s an accomplishment in and of itself.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/steelers-te-kevin-rader-i-cant-let-up-even-for-a-play/

Captain Lemming
06-19-2019, 12:01 PM
Steelers TE Kevin Rader: ‘I Can’t Let Up, Even For A Play’

By Dave Bryan
Posted on June 17, 2019

The Pittsburgh Steelers 2019 training camp in Latrobe once again should include several very good roster spot battles. One of those battles worth looking forward to as we sit here in the middle of June figures to be for the third and final tight end spot on the 53-man roster. The current combatants for that spot are Kevin Rader, Christian Scotland-Williamson, Trevor Wood and Zach Gentry, the team’s fifth-round draft pick this year out of Michigan. While Gentry will likely be considered the odds-on favorite to win the No. 3 tight end spot this summer, don’t sleep on Rader, a Youngstown State product, who spent all of last spring and summer with the Green Bay Packers.

After playing his freshman season as a defensive lineman at Youngstown State, Rader converted to tight end as a sophomore. He went on to record 41 receptions for 601 yards and 4 touchdowns during his final three seasons that included him registering a career-high 22 catches for 272 yards and two touchdowns as a senior. In his 2018 game against Pittsburgh, Rader caught 6 passes for 100 yards with a long reception of 36 yards. You can see all of those catches below.

Rader is probably best-known for his amazing last-second touchdown catch in the 2016 FCS playoff gamer against Eastern Washington. That catch, which you can see below, included Rader reaching around a defensive player and then catching and pinning the football to the back of that player with his right hand. The two players then fell to the ground and Rader reached his left arm around the other side of the defender to secure the ball, resulting in a game-winning touchdown and a YSU berth in the FCS national championship game.

At his 2018 Youngstown State pro day, Rader reportedly measured in at 6037, 250-pounds and ran his 40-yard-dash in 4.92-seconds. He ultimately went undrafted last year and quickly was signed by the Packers. While he played 32 offensive preseason snaps in three different games for the Packers last year, he was targeted just once and failed to register any stats. Perhaps more interesting is the fact that Rader didn’t log any special teams playing time with the Packers during the preseason.

The Steelers signed Rader to a Reserve/Futures contract this past January and recently the young tight end talked about how that opportunity came about for him.

“When I came home from Green Bay, I didn’t know who was going to be contacting me,” Rader said, according to a recent story by Chuck Greenwood of the Morning Journal. “Honestly, I didn’t get many reps in the in the preseason games. I knew that was going to affect me, because they like to see film. I was home just working out, like I was before coming to the NFL, keeping my body in shape. My agent found me a number of options, but I grew up in Pittsburgh. I signed with the Steelers shortly after the 2018 season ended. I am excited to have the opportunity to be here.”

Assuming he sticks around for this year’s training camp and the preseason, Rader knows that he faces an uphill battle when it comes to him ultimately showing enough this summer at Latrobe to warrant him winning a spot on the initial 53-man roster.

“I can’t let up, even for a play,” said Rader, according to Greenwood. “I have to be ready and able to execute.”

Rader figures to get a lot more preseason playing time this year than he did last year and one has to imagine that will include him also being able to show what he can do on special teams. Sure, he’s probably a long shot to make the Steelers 53-man roster this year, but he’s a player to be aware about once training camp gets underway just the same. He’s been able to stick on the offseason roster since January and that’s an accomplishment in and of itself.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/steelers-te-kevin-rader-i-cant-let-up-even-for-a-play/

I see NOTHING here that excites me about this kid.

hawaiiansteel
06-19-2019, 01:58 PM
I see NOTHING here that excites me about this kid.

possible practice squad player...

hawaiiansteel
07-09-2019, 02:55 PM
Asked and Answered: July 9

Bob Labriola
STEELERS.COM

AARON AMBROSE FROM COLUMBUS, OH: The Steelers drafted Zach Gentry to replace Jesse James. What do you think of Gentry’s talent level vs. James’, and what can we realistically expect to see in his first year?

ANSWER: What Zach Gentry is able to contribute as a rookie will be determined by his ability to stay healthy enough during training camp to be able to practice daily so that he can work on his craft as he’s being coached. At this point, that’s an unknown, but I have been told Gentry is a more physical player than Jesse James.

https://www.steelers.com/news/asked-and-answered-july-9

Buzz
07-09-2019, 04:54 PM
Let's hope Gentry is decent. We can't afford many wasted picks in a year when Cleveland and Baltimore both look to have improved their talent.

RuthlessBurgher
07-09-2019, 06:20 PM
Let's hope Gentry is decent. We can't afford many wasted picks in a year when Cleveland and Baltimore both look to have improved their talent.

For the record, this offseason Baltimore lost LB C.J. Mosley, S Eric Weddle, WR John Brown, OLB Terrell Suggs, OLB Za’Darius Smith, WR Michael Crabtree, and QB Joe Flacco. Their response to such losses were to give $32M guaranteed to a now 30 year old S Earl Thomas who hasn't been fully healthy since 2015, and then also signed Saints' RB2 Mark Ingram for starting RB money (he turns 30 this season also).

NorthCoast
07-09-2019, 07:07 PM
Whether the Ravens care to admit it or not, they are in rebuild mode. Thomas buys them a few years of experience as they look to the draft for the future. Wish the Steelers could have made some kind of move for him, but not by gifting him a mega-contract. Even injured, Thomas is probably better than any safety on the Steelers roster. There is 'hope' that Edmunds will emerge but that is all it is at this point. He's flashed, but hasn't been consistent enough. The boatload of snaps he saw last season should help.

Steel Maniac
07-10-2019, 08:17 PM
I agree; Ravens lost a lot on defense and their going to need their offense to run the ball and keep their defense off the field as much as possible.

Disco1981
07-10-2019, 11:56 PM
I agree; Ravens lost a lot on defense and their going to need their offense to run the ball and keep their defense off the field as much as possible.

I mean...Lamar Jackson is a RB so.....:tt2

Eich
07-11-2019, 09:35 AM
Let's hope Gentry is decent.

With his immense size - if he has any hands at all - he'll be hard to defend.

Steel Maniac
07-11-2019, 10:00 AM
I mean...Lamar Jackson is a RB so.....:tt2

And that's all he is. Terrible at imitating a QB.

hawaiiansteel
08-12-2019, 06:07 PM
https://saturdaytradition.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Screenshot-2494-e1565442559157-718x490.png

Oviedo
08-12-2019, 08:13 PM
https://saturdaytradition.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Screenshot-2494-e1565442559157-718x490.png

he is going to be a good player

Eich
08-13-2019, 09:15 AM
he is going to be a good player

That was a fun play to watch.

When they drafted him, my jaw dropped on his size alone. But I never read many glowing reports on the pick. If his hands remain as reliable as that, he'll be very productive.

Oh wow
08-13-2019, 10:20 AM
I think Gentry is going to work out well for us.

I’m one of those old school guys who doesn’t want to spend first round picks on TE’s anytime soon unless he is truly special.

RuthlessBurgher
08-13-2019, 10:24 AM

Impressive catch radius for sure. Dude's already 6'8". He appears to be on his tiptoes in the picture, which should bring him up to roughly 7 feet. Plus he is at least a good foot off the ground in the picture, and the ball is at least 2 feet above his head, so that ball is at least 10 feet high when he snags it. Too bad we can't see the goalpost in the picture for some perspective of how that pass actually was. If that play were closer to the center of the field, the pass would have likely doinked off the crossbar had Gentry not made the catch.

RuthlessBurgher
08-13-2019, 10:28 AM
I think Gentry is going to work out well for us.

I’m one of those old school guys who doesn’t want to spend first round picks on TE’s anytime soon unless he is truly special.

I think the Hockenson kid drafted one spot ahead of us in the draft could be truly special, well-rounded TE in the mold of Heath Miller or Jason Witten (not nearly as big of a fan of his college running mate Fant, who the Broncos took with our original pick at #20...too one dimensional for my taste). But Bush was a bigger immediate need for us. It remains to be seen what the TE crop looks like next year.

hawaiiansteel
08-28-2019, 10:47 PM
Alex Kozora
@Alex_Kozora

Tomorrow's game might mean more to Zach Gentry than anyone else. Good showing by him could cement his spot as the #3. Anything else and the Steelers are probably looking to add a 3rd TE to the roster. Lot on the line.

Aug 28, 2019

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetem bed%7Ctwterm%5E1166862642696376321&ref_url=http%3A %2F%2Fwww.steelersuniverse.com%2Fforums%2Fshowthre ad.php%2F30589-Third-string-TE%2Fpage4

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-29-2019, 09:25 AM
Alex Kozora
@Alex_Kozora

Tomorrow's game might mean more to Zach Gentry than anyone else. Good showing by him could cement his spot as the #3. Anything else and the Steelers are probably looking to add a 3rd TE to the roster. Lot on the line.

Aug 28, 2019

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetem bed%7Ctwterm%5E1166862642696376321&ref_url=http%3A %2F%2Fwww.steelersuniverse.com%2Fforums%2Fshowthre ad.php%2F30589-Third-string-TE%2Fpage4

If the Steelers do sign a TE after cut downs, I could see them looking to replace the #2 position, not the #3. Often a team will have a #2 who is a veteran who has to step in for needed PT and in case of injury. The #3 is often the younger developmental project who you hope can take on a bigger role someday. At 26, Grimble probably already is who he is going to be. To me he falls short at the #2, and does not have the potential moving forward to want to keep to see how he improves. At #3, Gentry is probably not as good right now as Grimble, but with his age (22) and lack of experience at the position, I'm more willing to slot him at 3 than to slide Grimble there. The only way I keep Grimble over Gentry with a new TE is if the new guy is also a young, unpolished kid with greater potential than you believe Gentry has, but not yet ready as the #2.

Oh wow
08-29-2019, 10:30 AM
Alex Kozora
@Alex_Kozora

Aug 28, 2019

This reads like “I don’t have anything significant to tweet so let me make up something”

fordfixer
08-29-2019, 10:36 AM
Alex Kozora
@Alex_Kozora

Aug 28, 2019

Same could be said about a lot of players

Shawn
08-29-2019, 11:42 AM
I think the Hockenson kid drafted one spot ahead of us in the draft could be truly special, well-rounded TE in the mold of Heath Miller or Jason Witten (not nearly as big of a fan of his college running mate Fant, who the Broncos took with our original pick at #20...too one dimensional for my taste). But Bush was a bigger immediate need for us. It remains to be seen what the TE crop looks like next year. I completely agree on Hockenson. He is a special talent. As for Fant, overrated. Yes he has all the tools but watching his film I was left underwhelmed.

Buzz
08-30-2019, 12:07 AM
Alex Kozora
@Alex_Kozora

Aug 28, 2019

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora?ref_...ing-TE%2Fpage4

I think the Steelers should be on the lookout for a TE. Did Gentry do enough to "cement a spot"? He may be headed to the PS.

SteelBucks
08-30-2019, 09:34 AM
I think the Steelers should be on the lookout for a TE. Did Gentry do enough to "cement a spot"? He may be headed to the PS.

Did he even play? Granted I missed most of the second half but I didn’t notice him out there at all.