PDA

View Full Version : Steelers select Benny Snell, RB, Kentucky

hawaiiansteel
04-27-2019, 01:08 PM
love this pick!

just a little surprised because Snell is a lot like James Conner, I thought we were going to draft a shiftier, change of pace type of back.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-27-2019, 01:19 PM
I also was thinking speedy runt.

Shawn
04-27-2019, 01:21 PM
Love this pick!

Steel Maniac
04-27-2019, 01:21 PM
I thought we’d move on an OL player because of the value that was there.

"BuzzNuter"
04-27-2019, 01:27 PM
Great Pick. It was 2003 I believe, I was sitting in Paul Brown 6 rows up at the 50. We were in the process of closing the game out in the 4th. The Bus gets up and runs to the Bengals Bench and growls as loud as he could and shakes his head. The Bengals were hanging their heads. SMASHMOUTH Football Baby the Pittsburgh Steelers like the Bus would say.
Only way to close out a game run the ball down their throats even when they know it. Excellent Pick!

Moonie
04-27-2019, 01:30 PM
His official bust name will be pretty easy to figure out and remember.

Steelgal
04-27-2019, 01:30 PM
I love it as well!!! I’ve been to watch him play a few times and he’s a stud. He’s not quick, but very tough to bring down. Just an overall great young man as well

spyboots
04-27-2019, 01:33 PM
Great pick!

Iron City Inc.
04-27-2019, 01:43 PM
Matt Snell was a tough runner with the Jets helped them win SB III . We needed a back would have liked to move back a few spots then grab this kid but that's me.

dreegking
04-27-2019, 01:45 PM
Not a big fan. A poor man’s Redman.

Steel Maniac
04-27-2019, 01:50 PM
Not a big fan. A poor man’s Redman.

That’s the way I see him too.

The Man of Steel
04-27-2019, 01:52 PM
Not a big fan. A poor manís Redman.
Isaac Redman played at Division 2 Bowie State. Snell played in the SEC and rushed for more than a 1,000 yards every season for 3 years including almost 1,500 yards his senior season. Thereís no comparison to Redman, at least not at this point in time.

Steel Maniac
04-27-2019, 01:54 PM
Isaac Redman played at Division 2 Bowie State. Snell played in the SEC and rushed for more than a 1,000 yards every season for 3 years including almost 1,500 yards his senior season. There’s no comparison to Redman, at least not at this point in time.

He meant in the way he’ll produce and fit in as a pro.

RobinCole
04-27-2019, 02:20 PM
Nah, he meant what he said.

hawaiiansteel
04-27-2019, 02:29 PM
Thatís the way I see him too.

ever watch him play? he's really good

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D5LOFC0WAAQqrcu.jpg

Shawn
04-27-2019, 02:34 PM
I'm going to be really honest, I like Snell's tape more than Conners when he came out. I admittedly was on the fence with Conner. Snell looks to be the superior back. The dude is a force. But, I'm a sucker for a true physical RB. He has some surprising suddeness and vision. His bounce is superb. Very little top end speed but enough quickness to hit all the gaps. I expect him to have injury issues on the next level because he loves to bang helmets. Dude is a Steeler. This will be a serious battle in camp I expect Conner to win. But, if Conner goes down, I expect Snell to pick up the slack and excel. Is he a franchise back? No. But, Between him and Conner our running game will be stout.

dreegking
04-27-2019, 02:35 PM
Isaac Redman played at Division 2 Bowie State. Snell played in the SEC and rushed for more than a 1,000 yards every season for 3 years including almost 1,500 yards his senior season. Thereís no comparison to Redman, at least not at this point in time.

I donít care Where they played. Iím looking at what I see. Both tough and strong. Both tight, slow, and lacking power. Similar weight and build. A comparison is easy to draw. But he will
battle.

Steel Maniac
04-27-2019, 02:40 PM
I can only look forward to the second wave of free agency now.

RobinCole
04-27-2019, 02:51 PM
Oh woe, oh woe, oh woe is yinz.

"BuzzNuter"
04-27-2019, 03:21 PM
Did anyone see the 2019 Citrus Bowl this year. This kid pounded Penn State into submission in the 4th quarter. I remember thinking man this looks like the Bus. This is what the Steelers need.

Oviedo
04-27-2019, 03:24 PM
This is a good pick at the right round in the draft. Will give us excellent depth at RB and will push Samuels and be insurance for Conner injury

Oviedo
04-27-2019, 03:26 PM
Did anyone see the 2019 Citrus Bowl this year. This kid pounded Penn State into submission in the 4th quarter. I remember thinking man this looks like the Bus. This is what the Steelers need.

Yep...watch the game. This kid has burst and is tough to bring down. Good pick

Northern_Blitz
04-27-2019, 03:37 PM
Not a big fan. A poor manís Redman.

I tend to think of that saying going like "poor man's <insert something really good>". Like "a poor man's Big Ben".

Seems to me like a poor man's Redman wouldn't even be in the league...but maybe that's what you mean?

hawaiiansteel
04-27-2019, 03:54 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190427/708e8c4eb4287d18eb9c3db7ec2bbb90.jpg

The Man of Steel
04-27-2019, 04:00 PM
I donít care Where they played. Iím looking at what I see. Both tough and strong. Both tight, slow, and lacking power. Similar weight and build. A comparison is easy to draw. But he will
battle.
Itís funny. I read an article where Jimbo Fisher compared Snell to Emmitt Smith so I guess it all depends on whoís watching the tape.

spyboots
04-27-2019, 04:02 PM

Good one! :wink:

RobinCole
04-27-2019, 04:35 PM
Ahhh, but what does Jimbo Fisher know?

Steel Maniac
04-27-2019, 04:44 PM

Hilarious......

SteelBucks
04-27-2019, 05:53 PM
I only got a few glimpses of Kentucky football and I remember Snell Jr well. The dude is a load to bring down. Slow as molasses but true smash mouth football between the tackles. The guy was searching for contact at times.

KYPITTFAN
04-27-2019, 07:34 PM
As my name says I'm from Kentucky. I have watched every game this kid has played in for the last two years, we got a steal! You people will be surprised by what he can do.
Snell will not go down on first contact and is a 3rd and 1 shoe in for a first down. Do not forget he played in the SEC! I was calling for a back up to Conner. Steelers got the man who can carry the load if Conner goes down.

hawaiiansteel
04-27-2019, 09:47 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers: Benny Snell, RB, Kentucky B Grade

Benny Snell was once slotted in the second round of my mock drafts, but I dropped him because teams had speed concerns about him. However, Snell is a very tough runner who could have a nice NFL career. I think he's a bit redundant with James Conner, but he's a fine choice.

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades4.php

Shawn
04-28-2019, 02:57 AM
As my name says I'm from Kentucky. I have watched every game this kid has played in for the last two years, we got a steal! You people will be surprised by what he can do.
Snell will not go down on first contact and is a 3rd and 1 shoe in for a first down. Do not forget he played in the SEC! I was calling for a back up to Conner. Steelers got the man who can carry the load if Conner goes down.. This is an opinion I value and it matches what Iím seeing. Iím super excited about this pick. I love abusive violent running backs. He isnít ďslow as molassesĒ as another posted. I watched him bounce the A to C with some suddenness. Then he sought out defenders to break off. Thatís grown man football. Sorry but Iím in love with this pick. Maybe itís nostalgia in this feminized modern NFL. But, I believe this guy will become a fan favorite quickly. He isnít an elite back, but he is a guy who is going to provide solid goal line service, and push Conner to his limits if he wishes to keep his job. And that canít be a bad thing. These kind of backs in the 4th quarter abuse people. I suspect LBrs will be calling the cops from their backsides.

Ernie
04-28-2019, 08:13 AM
I love the pick. A perfect "1B" for Conner...in a potential RB by committee situation..

Behind this O-line... this tandem can be something pretty awesome. This also allows us to use Samuels more as an H-Back, TE, and WR.

Oviedo
04-28-2019, 08:31 AM
. This is an opinion I value and it matches what I’m seeing. I’m super excited about this pick. I love abusive violent running backs. He isn’t “slow as molasses” as another posted. I watched him bounce the A to C with some suddenness. Then he sought out defenders to break off. That’s grown man football. Sorry but I’m in love with this pick. Maybe it’s nostalgia in this feminized modern NFL. But, I believe this guy will become a fan favorite quickly. He isn’t an elite back, but he is a guy who is going to provide solid goal line service, and push Conner to his limits if he wishes to keep his job. And that can’t be a bad thing. These kind of backs in the 4th quarter abuse people. I suspect LBrs will be calling the cops from their backsides.

Shawn-quit being rah rah

Shawn
04-28-2019, 09:11 AM
Shawn-quit being rah rah. O, how about this...it’s awesome to like a pick. It’s great to root for your team. But how about not being an arrogant condescending prick when someone doesn’t like a pick. Deal?

Steel Maniac
04-28-2019, 10:49 AM
I love the pick. A perfect "1B" for Conner...in a potential RB by committee situation..

Behind this O-line... this tandem can be something pretty awesome. This also allows us to use Samuels more as an H-Back, TE, and WR.

Pretty clear we are running the ball strongly this coming season. Or at least that’s the initial plan.

Steel Maniac
04-28-2019, 10:51 AM
. O, how about this...it’s awesome to like a pick. It’s great to root for your team. But how about not being an arrogant condescending prick when someone doesn’t like a pick. Deal?

Boom..........

If I had said this, there would be a PM from the mod. :rolleyes: But the mod allows people
who are aligned with his views , To call others names like “ buttercup”.

Shawn
04-28-2019, 10:54 AM
Boom.......... I’ll never understand the crowd who hates because you have a non positive opinion. How boring would this board be if we all agreed and liked everything? It’s not life and death. This is entertainment and I encourage opposing opinions as long as it’s done respectfully.

Steel Maniac
04-28-2019, 10:57 AM
I’ll never understand the crowd who hates because you have a non positive opinion. How boring would this board be if we all agreed and liked everything? It’s not life and death. This is entertainment and I encourage opposing opinions as long as it’s done respectfully.

Shawn, it’s the world we live in today. If your not in lock step with a certain click around here, the call you names, and Everthing else and since the mod is in with them, they can do what they want.

But notice that the owner of this website isn’t in step with them, so they dont say anything to him. Tells you what type of guys they really are. Go call Steelz09 names like you call the rest of us. Since your so tough; be consistent towards everyone who isn’t in lock step with you.

Shawn
04-28-2019, 11:03 AM
Shawn, it’s the world we live in today. If your not in lock step with a certain click around here, the call you names, and Everthing else and since the mod is in with them, they can do what they want. well every place is clickish. This board included. Most of have been posting with each other since the Trib days so for over 10 years. Maybe close to 15? And we get on each other’s nerves like siblings. I can think of a couple posters here I want to throat punch on occasion lol. But at the end of the day, it’s not life or death. It’s not important and people’s opinions of me who do not know me, matter little to me. Some of my favorite posters are guys who disagree with me. But they do so respectfully. Lots of amazing posters on this board. Lots of good dudes.

NorthCoast
04-28-2019, 11:20 AM
University of Kentucky touchdown machine Benny Snell Jr. enters the NFL draft as a junior after an immensely productive collegiate career that included 35 scores in just two years as a full-time running back.

Height: 5-foot-10
Weight: 224 pounds
40 time: 4.66 seconds

Snell looks much bigger running the rock than he measures, in part due to an erect style. He has NFL bloodlines and was an Ohio prep star through his father and great-uncle. Snell won 2016 Freshman All-American and All-Freshman SEC honors, going on to earn All-SEC second-team recognition in 2017 and first-team placement in his junior year. Snell is the all-time rushing leader at Kentucky.

Consistently productive, Snell made the most out of his opportunities and was remarkably consistent in his three years. He displayed an obvious nose for paydirt, scoring 48 times in three seasons. Snell wonít be mistaken for Usain Bolt, yet he manages to create yardage in respectable chunks and grind on defenses as games wear along.

Pros
Displays tremendous patience and ability to see developing plays
Doesnít easily go down with arm tackles or without an earnest effort by defenders
Effective moves in short-area confinement to evade would-be tacklers ó can spin and jump-cut adequately
Runs with quality pad lean and leg drive
Has upside to develop into a serviceable receiver, albeit with a limited route tree
Mostly efficient and tends to get the most out of every playís opportunities
RELATED
2019 NFL mock draft: Rounds 1-2
Cons
Runs extremely upright for his height
Takes way too much contact for longevityís liking ó copious awkward-angled hits on film. Has a hearty dosage of touches in the last two years
Extremely productive year over year, and displayed consistency in the red zone
Lacks breakaway ability
Burst is just average and struggles to accelerate after coming to a stop in traffic
Limited skills and experience as a receiver
Questionable ability in pass protection
Fantasy football outlook
Snellís speed issues and mostly one-dimensional skill set profiles him closer to a Day 3 pick than a third-rounder. Given the nature of the NFLís widespread two-back systems, a pounder has a role, although it will cost him draft slots.

Due to this situation, his 2019 fantasy stock is solely dependent on his landing spot. Snell simply isnít dynamic enough to force his way into a full-time gig for a team to capture star status as a rookie. He could emerge in the right situation as an inconsistent RB2 in standard-scoring formats, and Snellís upside is limited in the long-form view......the erect style makes me a little worried...

Steel Maniac
04-28-2019, 11:22 AM
Shawn,

Maybe, maybe not. But like you said, everyone should have the opportunity to post their thoughts without personal attacks.

Like I said, this “ click” has shown me what type of men they are when they dont call the owner of this website names ( and he too isn’t a Tomlin fan) but anyone else that doesn’t like Tomlin , they attack. Specifically a select 4 posters.

Steel Maniac
04-28-2019, 11:27 AM
..........the erect style makes me a little worried...

Well, if your a fan of the bam Morris days, we’ve got good news for you because it looks like we are going back to running the ball down teams throats and you’ve got to like that for a couple of reasons:

1. We can dominate time of possession
2. Keep the defense off the field and fresh.

NorthCoast
04-28-2019, 11:31 AM
.... reference to 'high character' yet again....the Steelers really focused on getting 'good guys' and I am happy with that, but this guy is a player that might even give Connor a run for PT:

Snell was phenomenal in 2018, including dominant performances against Florida and Mississippi State. He was the offensive engine behind Kentuckyís 10-3 record. Snell averaged 5.0 yards per carry on the season for 1,449 yards with 16 touchdowns. He also made 17 receptions for 105 yards.

Snell is a physical runner with a powerful build that makes him tough to get on the ground. He uses his strength, stature, knee bend, and ability to run behind his pads to pick up a lot of yards after contact. On top of natural running ability with good instincts, Snell has quickness to hit the hole and pull away. He also is known to be a high-character individual who loves football and works hard. Snell was beloved by the Kentucky program and community.

Snell is an old school back, and how he will make his money in the NFL is by getting six yards when there are only two or three yards to be had. Snell seems to be a more powerful and durable Jay Ajayi, as he carried the load his entire career at Kentucky. In the fourth quarter, when other players are gassed, that is when Snell rises to his peak. One touchdown shy of Herschel Walkerís 49 touchdowns, Snell has scary similar stats to the legend, and any player that can do that in the SEC has great potential.

Steel Maniac
04-28-2019, 11:33 AM
Good. I hope he does push Conner. Competition is great for overall team success.

NorthCoast
04-28-2019, 11:42 AM
Well, if your a fan of the bam Morris days, we’ve got good news for you because it looks like we are going back to running the ball down teams throats and you’ve got to like that for a couple of reasons:

1. We can dominate time of possession
2. Keep the defense off the field and fresh.

I'm on board with that. Don't forget #3: Roethlisberger is at his best (most winning) when he has a powerful run game behind him.

... oh my, when does training camp start?... not soon enough!

Steel Maniac
04-28-2019, 11:48 AM
Yes... excellent point North. but the defense also has to be there. And that’s the big question mark still.

Secondary is still cloudy and lack of depth at DE is also an issue.

Running the ball strong + Good defense= winning formula

Shawn
04-28-2019, 12:15 PM
Shawn,

Maybe, maybe not. But like you said, everyone should have the opportunity to post their thoughts without personal attacks.

Like I said, this “ click” has shown me what type of men they are when they dont call the owner of this website names ( and he too isn’t a Tomlin fan) but anyone else that doesn’t like Tomlin , they attack. Specifically a select 4 posters. I would agree about posting opinions without personal attack. The caveat being for true internet trolls and Pats fans who like to roll in here.

Shawn
04-28-2019, 12:17 PM
And north...nothing wrong with being erect. I mean I'm 45 soooo, that seems like a really good thing now a days. ;)

Steel Maniac
04-28-2019, 12:19 PM
And north...nothing wrong with being erect. I mean I'm 45 soooo, that seems like a really good thing now a days. ;)

Yes!!!!! !!!!!!! ( see how I use these) ;)

hawaiiansteel
04-28-2019, 04:51 PM
https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/58378178_3242837305742434_7642972183873978368_n.jp g?_nc_cat=1&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=821f6f0af17b4e19b29635d936d15598&oe=5D2DFF8D

Steel Maniac
04-28-2019, 04:56 PM
Yess!!! Take that number and make it your own!

kindlecatsb'ng
04-28-2019, 04:59 PM
Yesterday, I ate at a Bob Evans south of Columbus, OH. The waitress saw my Steelers jersey and mentioned she went to high school with Lev Bell. Her husband is a diehard Steelers fan and didn't know that about her until she showed him her high school year book with their pictures in it. When asked about Bell in high school, she said "I didn't know him well at all but he was always polite."

Steel Maniac
04-28-2019, 05:02 PM
It wasn’t so much politeness as it was him being high.

NorthCoast
04-28-2019, 05:12 PM

::D.... as I was typing it I knew I was setting myself up for it..

Oviedo
04-28-2019, 07:00 PM
. O, how about this...it’s awesome to like a pick. It’s great to root for your team. But how about not being an arrogant condescending prick when someone doesn’t like a pick. Deal?

Well name calling aside what you see as condescending i see as addressing negativity with negativity. Anyone can choose to see everything as a negative. I choose to emphasize the positive. That may bother you but thats my opinion.

Shawn
04-29-2019, 09:57 AM
Well name calling aside what you see as condescending i see as addressing negativity with negativity. Anyone can choose to see everything as a negative. I choose to emphasize the positive. That may bother you but thats my opinion. It bothers me that you don't allow anyone to have an opinion that isn't positive about the Steelers. But, hey O...you do you.

Steel Maniac
04-29-2019, 11:49 AM
It bothers me that you don't allow anyone to have an opinion that isn't positive about the Steelers. But, hey O...you do you.

People will state their opinion regardless of who doesn't like it. Gotta fight through all these people who try to control what other people say. If you feel you have to control what other people say, you need to look in the mirror.

Oviedo
04-29-2019, 02:07 PM
It bothers me that you don't allow anyone to have an opinion that isn't positive about the Steelers. But, hey O...you do you.

I always have and I'm POSITIVE I will continue to do so

SteelerOfDeVille
04-29-2019, 05:10 PM
I'm late to the party, but, other than the "trade up to fill a need", this was my favorite draft moment of 2019...

As the resident, "self proclaimed best RB evaluator on the board", I'm more sold on Snell performing to par with draft location than i am Bush, to be honest. And that's not a knock on Bush, who i think will be damn good... but, Snells' desire to win (and improve himself as a player) are off the charts and he'll prove more than worthy of a 3rd round selection. Those who don't like this selection, WILL like before the preseason is over.

Having said that, where he was selected tells me a couple of things. Taking him in 3rd tells me that 1) don't feel like Jaylen Samuels is a good enough every-down replacement for Conner, should he have another injury which, and 2) taking him in the 3rd makes clear that there is concern for Conner's injury history and the team is preparing itself

As a side note - At that draft position, if you go with "quick", you have Samuels AND a scatback... both, pass receivers, but, neither really an every down back. They wanted another every down back...

SteelerOfDeVille
04-29-2019, 05:13 PM
ok.... wth? Nice lean, but, runs upright... looks like a bad copy and paste job per NFL.com... lol

Pros
Displays tremendous patience and ability to see developing plays
Doesnít easily go down with arm tackles or without an earnest effort by defenders
Effective moves in short-area confinement to evade would-be tacklers ó can spin and jump-cut adequately
Runs with quality pad lean and leg drive
Has upside to develop into a serviceable receiver, albeit with a limited route tree
Mostly efficient and tends to get the most out of every playís opportunities
RELATED
2019 NFL mock draft: Rounds 1-2
Cons
Runs extremely upright for his height
Takes way too much contact for longevityís liking ó copious awkward-angled hits on film. Has a hearty dosage of touches in the last two years
Extremely productive year over year, and displayed consistency in the red zone
Lacks breakaway ability
Burst is just average and struggles to accelerate after coming to a stop in traffic
Limited skills and experience as a receiver
Questionable ability in pass protection
Fantasy football outlook

hawaiiansteel
04-29-2019, 05:14 PM
I'm late to the party, but, other than the "trade up to fill a need", this was my favorite draft moment of 2019...

As the resident, "self proclaimed best RB evaluator on the board", I'm more sold on Snell performing to par with draft location than i am Bush, to be honest. And that's not a knock on Bush, who i think will be damn good... but, Snells' desire to win (and improve himself as a player) are off the charts and he'll prove more than worthy of a 3rd round selection.

especially since we drafted him in the 4th round ;)

SteelerOfDeVille
04-29-2019, 05:24 PM
especially since we drafted him in the 4th round ;)
sunnava...:lol::lol::lol:

(i'm still not awake. between the draft, avengers and game of thrones, i may be no good til next weekend) :lol::lol::lol:

Shawn
04-29-2019, 11:38 PM
People will state their opinion regardless of who doesn't like it. Gotta fight through all these people who try to control what other people say. If you feel you have to control what other people say, you need to look in the mirror. if itís not a positive opinion about the coach or a draft pick then a few people here seem to take it very personal. Not sure why.

Steel Maniac
04-30-2019, 12:14 AM
if it’s not a positive opinion about the coach or a draft pick then a few people here seem to take it very personal. Not sure why.

I don't understand why either. They act like you've talked about their family member or something. It's not that serious; that you take it to the point of personal attacks too? Just don't get it. Nothing we say here really affects the players either way; I guess some people lose perspective.

RuthlessBurgher
05-01-2019, 02:32 PM
Kevin Colbert: Each of our running backs will make the other ones better

Posted by Josh Alper on May 1, 2019, 2:07 PM EDT

The Steelers have cycled through a number of running backs since Mike Tomlin became the head coach in 2007, but the identity of the back hasn’t done much to impact the way the team has used them.

While many other teams have employed committees to handle the backfield duties, the Steelers have subscribed to an approach that sees one back get the lion’s share of the carries. Willie Parker, Rashard Mendenhall and Le'Veon Bell have all had turns in that role and James Conner was in the same position last year, but things may be different in 2019.

During an interview with Mike Florio, Steelers General Manager Kevin Colbert was asked if the team is moving in more of a committee direction with Conner, Jaylen Samuels and fourth-round pick Benny Snell. Colbert said that “each one of them will make the other ones better” and that the team wants to get the most out of all the backs unless someone makes it clear they should be the clear No. 1.

“I really think that depends on who that player is,” Colbert said. “When we drafted Le’Veon, we certainly didn’t have that idea that he would be the featured guy. He forced that with his great play and he was that good, he was durable and he wanted to be on the field. James does too, but you also have to understand if you have two or three guys that can maybe get the same production then let’s make sure we’re covered and have the proper depth.”

Colbert said he thinks Conner and Snell have similar styles while Samuels may offer the team more in the passing game. How they’ll deploy the three will be something to watch once Snell starts working with the team this month.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/01/kevin-colbert-each-one-of-our-running-backs-will-make-the-other-ones-better/

hawaiiansteel
05-01-2019, 03:49 PM
Colbert Hints At RB By Committee Approach In 2019: ĎWe Need To Have More Help For James And Jaylení

By Dave Bryan
Posted on May 1, 2019

For at least the immediate future, it appears as though the Pittsburgh Steelers wonít run a single running back of theirs until his proverbial wheels fall off. In fact, judging by what Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said earlier this week during an interview on 105 The X Radio, the Steelers might even use a running back by committee approach in 2019 consisting of James Conner, Jaylen Samuels and Benny Snell Jr., who was drafted by the team in the fourth-round on Saturday out of Kentucky.

ďIn Benny Snellís case, heís a good football player that knows how to play the game,Ē Colbert said during his recent radio interview. ďHe played it at a high level at one of the best conferences in college football and he was successful. So, hopefully he can bring some of that to us because we need to have more help for James and Jaylen.Ē

Ever since Mike Tomlin became the Steelers head coach in 2007, only once has the franchise not had at least one Pittsburgh running back register at least 200 rushing attempts in a single-season. That lone season that they didnít was in 2012. Additionally, in three of those previous 12 seasons the Steelers have had a running back register 300 or more carries during a single-season.

Remember Tomlin essentially running the wheels off former Steelers running back Willie Parker in 2007 after saying that was the plan? Parker logged 321 carries in Tomlinís first season as the Steelers head coach. Those 321 carries also came the season after he logged 337 carries in 2006, the final year of Bill Cowher as the Steelers head coach.

Parker obviously hasnít been the only Steelers running back to be a workhorse in Pittsburgh under Tomlin as Rashard Mendenhall, LeíVeon Bell, DeAngelo Williams and even James Conner last season, all have had more than 200 carries in a single-season at least once. Four of the five seasons that Bell was with the Steelers he logged at least 244 carries in a single-season and he likely would have during the lone season that he didnít in 2015 had he not suffered a season-ending knee injury in Week 8.

With Bell leaving for greener pastures this offseason, the Steelers decided that they should draft another running back in Snell to help compliment their two carryovers from 2018, Conner and Samuels. On the heels of his comments about the team drafting the Kentucky product to provide more help for those two running backs, Colbert was asked if he believes the days of the NFL workhorse back are now fading.

ďYeah, I wouldnít say it would be fading, if you were fortunate enough to have one,Ē Colbert said. ďI was around one of those guys in Barry Sanders and if you donít give them the ball youíre probably making a mistake. But those players are few and far between. Thatís why the Hall of Famers. So, until someone proves that they can play at that level consistently, you better have good options available.

ďAnd I hope that, again, Benny Snell can give us some more depth, some more variety. You know, he has a similar running style to James [Conner]. You know, James isnít the biggest or fastest, but he gets whatís there and usually finds more. So, I think that will help our group collectively. But if you had a unique one, you wouldnít be afraid of use them as much as you could, but those guys are few and far between.Ē

Last season, Conner, who was selected by the Steelers in the third-round of the 2017 NFL Draft out of Pittsburgh, was well on his way to potentially logging more than 250 carries during the 2018 season as he had 201 after through 12 games played. Conner, however, suffered a high ankle sprain during the teamís 12th games against the Los Angeles Chargers and that injury kept him sidelined until the regular season finale. Connerís rookie season was also cut short by a knee injury so heís yet to prove he can make it through a full season.

With Conner sidelined for three games late last season, the Steelers had no choice but to turn to Samuels, a rookie last season who the team had selected in the fifth-round of the draft out of North Carolina State, and veteran Steven Ridley. While Samuels did play above the line when given the opportunity to be the teamís primary ball carrier after Conner went down injured, Ridleyís play left a lot to be desired. Additionally, Ridley had a key fumble in the Steelers Week 15 road loss to the New Orleans Saints and that would be the last time he touched the football the remainder of the season.

Snell, as Colbert has already mentioned quite a few times since the Steelers drafted him on Saturday, is easy to compare to Conner when it comes to the two playerís running style and overall demeanor.

ďHeís, again, I like to use the term natural with him, because he knows where the holes are,Ē Colbert said of Snell on Monday. ďBut his ability to find space in the second level once he got to the linebackers was pretty unique.heís always going to get your four yards, minimum, and in the SEC thatís not an easy feat. But he also found extra yardage. He wasnít going to run away from folks, heís going to be a 4.6 runner.Ē

Colbert went on to add that Snellís type of play in college also matched what the Steelers apparently were diligently looking for in all the players they selected this year.

ďBut what we really tried to emphasize this year, when we look back on our draft the year we took T.J. [Watt], JuJu [Smith-Schuster] and James Conner was they werenít necessarily the fastest guys, they were good football players,Ē Colbert said.

How many carries will Snell ultimately get during his rookie season? Itís hard to say for sure at this point of the offseason but it sure sounds like heíll get playing time at some point during the 2019 season along with Samuels and of course Conner. At this point, it will come as shock should the 2019 regular season end with any Steelers running back logging 200 or more carries and that might not ultimately be such a bad thing.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/colbert-hints-at-rb-by-committee-approach-in-2019-we-need-to-have-more-help-for-james-and-jaylen/

RuthlessBurgher
05-02-2019, 04:05 PM
Thursday, May 02, 2019 11:00 AM

'He has passion for the game'

Mike Prisuta

Steelers.com

Why you should be excited about fourth-round pick Benny Snell Jr.:

He’s productive: Snell, a 5-foot-10, 224-pound running back, rushed for a program-record 3,873 yards and a program-record 48 touchdowns in three seasons at Kentucky.

He’s a closer: Snell carried eight consecutive times for 22 yards and two first downs on a series that began with 4:12 remaining and Kentucky leading Penn State by three points in the Citrus Bowl. The Wildcats eventually punted and the Nittany Lions took over with one second left in regulation.

NFL Network analyst Daniel Jeremiah called Snell a “four-minute back.”

He’s decorated: Snell was a team captain, a first-team All-SEC pick and a second-team All-American selection in 2018.

He’s in great company: Snell and Herschel Walker are the only players in SEC history to rush for at least 1,000 yards and 12 touchdowns in their first three seasons.

He’s all in: “In today's college environment, a lot of these kids are skipping their bowl games as they head into their pro careers,” General Manager Kevin Colbert pointed out. “That's a choice that they make. But when a player like Benny Snell ends up playing for his team in his bowl game, we really like to acknowledge that and give him credit for putting his team and that win over his own priorities.”

Added running backs coach Eddie Faulkner: “Very evident when you sit down with this young man how much he has passion for the game, how much he loves it, how he loves being around it. We were very interested in finding someone who had a passion and just loves football, and that's Benny Snell. As soon as you turn on his tape, and watch how he plays the game, he mirrors that same amount of passion. He plays physical, plays hard, and quite honestly represents the Steelers’ brand.”

He helped elevate the program at Kentucky: Snell, in the estimation of draft analyst Dane Brugler of The Athletic, was “the workhorse of the Wildcats’ offense and a substantial reason for the program’s 10-win season in 2018, the first double-digit win season for Kentucky since 1977.” Head coach Mike Tomlin said Snell “was really a central figure in the culture change in terms of what went on at Kentucky, competing and winning and what he was able to do down there.”

He’s passing-game capable: Snell only had 29 receptions for 216 yards in three seasons at Kentucky, but Faulkner saw what he needed to see from Snell leading up to the draft in terms of his ability to contribute in the passing game.

“I had those same question marks, and things that I would like to see,” Faulkner said. “But what you do see him do on tape is play the Wildcat (offense). There's a lot to being a running back and non-quarterback, and catching a snap and then being able to get your eyes on your reads as a running back, and he's able to do that. That takes a lot of hand-eye coordination.

“When we worked him on the Pro Day, he caught every ball, caught it with his hands, was natural, was able to get in and out of his breaks, and run the routes we would want him to run. It was good to see. He can do all of those things.”

He has NFL bloodlines: Snell’s great uncle is Matt Snell, a running back who helped Joe Namath and the Jets shock the world by beating the Colts in Super Bowl III.

https://www.steelers.com/news/he-has-passion-for-the-game

hawaiiansteel
05-02-2019, 06:42 PM
Will Steelers employ RB committee approach in '19?

By Kevin Patra
Around the NFL Writer
Published: May 2, 2019

For years, the Pittsburgh Steelers have been mainly a one-back team, grinding that runner, play-in and play-out.

With Le'Veon Bell officially gone, might the Steelers consider joining the running back-by-committee approach?

Steelers GM Kevin Colbert, who was with Detroit when Barry Sanders played for the Lions many moons ago, suggested a committee approach with James Conner, Jaylen Samuels and fourth-round rookie Benny Snell could be in the Steelers' best interest.

"I wouldn't say it would be fading if you were fortunate enough to have one," Colbert told 105.9 The X this week when asked about workhorse backs disappearing, via The Athletic. "I was around one of those guys in Barry Sanders, and if you don't give them the ball, you're probably making a mistake. But those players are few and far between -- that's why they're Hall of Famers. Until someone proves they can play at that level consistently, you better have good options available.

"I hope that Benny Snell can give us some more variety. He has a similar running style as James. James isn't the biggest or fastest, but he gets what's there and usually finds more. I think that will help our group collectively, but if you had a unique one, you wouldn't be afraid to use him as much as you could, but those guys are few and far between."

Whether Colbert's message makes it to Tomlin is a completely different question.

Since taking over as coach in 2007, Tomlin teams have always been one-back operations, when they can. From 'Fast' Willie Parker to Rashard Mendenhall to Le'Veon Bell, Tomlin teams have preferred to ride an RB until he can't run anymore. The only years when carries were split came due to injury -- which is how you got the Jonathan Dwyer/Isaac Redman duo combining for 266 totes in 2012.

Even as Bell sat out last season, Tomlin rode Conner hard, giving the second-year player 215 carries in 13 games.

When Conner missed time, Samuels carried the load, despite getting little chance to get his feet wet in games prior.

In Tomlin's first season, he famously said he planned to ride Parker until "the wheels come off." That he did with Parker and then Mendenhall, each of whose careers fell off a cliff after massive workloads. Bell's final season in Pittsburgh saw him carry 321 times before sitting out last year.

This season, Colbert would like to see a more balanced approach in the backfield that could prolong careers and make the Steelers more potent in the long run.

Snell provides similar traits to Conner, sporting a downhill, blunt running style with vision and power to back up his tough running style.

Given how Conner's season ended -- with the RB dealing with nagging injuries -- an RBBC approach could behoove a Steelers offense that lost two dynamic weapons this offseason.

Whether Tomlin can help himself when one RB gets hot remains the biggest question.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001029734/article/will-steelers-employ-rb-committee-approach-in-19

hawaiiansteel
05-02-2019, 10:47 PM
https://static.clubs.nfl.com/image/private/t_editorial_landscape_8_desktop_mobile/f_auto/steelers/t6pjq3vba7lt3bmhqvot.jpg

Steel Maniac
05-02-2019, 10:53 PM
We have the makings of a physical running game. An identity making running game possibly.

RuthlessBurgher
05-03-2019, 10:56 AM
At Pitt, James Conner had a total 3733 rushing yards with 52 rushing TD's but only caught 30 passes in his college career.

At Kentucky, Benny Snell had a total 3873 rushing yards with 48 rushing TD's but only caught 29 passes in his college career.

I would say that, coming into the NFL, both guys did an excellent job running the football, but both could use some more experience catching the ball out of the backfield before they could be considered to be an NFL caliber bellcow type of back.

Also, all rookie RB's entering the league will inevitably need to improve their pass protection skills before coaches will trust them with regard to picking up blitzes so the franchise QB does not get killed out there due to a rookie mistake.

Since I really like what I've seen from Snell so far as a runner already, but still want to see more from him as a pass catcher and a blocker before I would be comfortable with him handling a large load for us, this obviously means that I must be a big time Snell hater. I guess I'll have to accept that.

Will this post somehow be twisted into some grand proclamation that Snell will only ever be a backup RB at this level? Probably. Oh well.

Sorry, Benny. I really don't mean to hate you like this, but I guess I do.

The Man of Steel
05-03-2019, 11:05 AM
At Pitt, James Conner had a total 3733 rushing yards with 52 rushing TD's but only caught 30 passes in his college career.

At Kentucky, Benny Snell had a total 3873 rushing yards with 48 rushing TD's but only caught 29 passes in his college career.

You forgot to add that Jaylen Samuels had 201 catches in college career.

fordfixer
05-03-2019, 11:05 AM

I would say that, coming into the NFL, both guys did an excellent job running the football, but both could use some more experience catching the ball out of the backfield before they could be considered to be an NFL caliber bellcow type of back.

Also, all rookie RB's entering the league will inevitably need to improve their pass protection skills before coaches will trust them with regard to picking up blitzes so the franchise QB does not get killed out there due to a rookie mistake.

Since I really like what I've seen from Snell so far as a runner already, but still want to see more from him as a pass catcher and a blocker before I would be comfortable with him handling a large load for us, this obviously means that I must be a big time Snell hater. I guess I'll have to accept that.

Will this post somehow be twisted into some grand proclamation that Snell will only ever be a backup RB at this level? Probably. Oh well.

Oh for crying out loud here we go again :p

RuthlessBurgher
05-03-2019, 11:33 AM
You forgot to add that Jaylen Samuels had 201 catches in college career.

Samuels had more catches (201) than carries (182) in college, and amassed more yards through the air (1851) than on the ground (1107). I was quite satisfied with what I saw from him in the passing game in his time with the Wolfpack...after all, he's N.C. State's all time receptions leader over the likes of Jerricho Cotchery (200 catches) and Torry Holt (191 catches)...but I though he could still use some additional development running the ball.

Guess than means I hate him too. Dammit.

Why must I hate every Steeler running back?

;)

Northern_Blitz
05-03-2019, 12:00 PM
Samuels had more catches (201) than carries (182) in college, and amassed more yards through the air (1851) than on the ground (1107). I was quite satisfied with what I saw from him in the passing game in his time with the Wolfpack...after all, he's N.C. State's all time receptions leader over the likes of Jerricho Cotchery (200 catches) and Torry Holt (191 catches)...but I though he could still use some additional development running the ball.

Guess than means I hate him too. Dammit.

Why must I hate every Steeler running back?

;)

I also seem to remember Dave on the Terrible Podcast saying he went though all his college games and found 1 or 2 plays where his job was pass pro.

It kind of sucks to knock him because his job was to get the ball (running or receiving), but having no track record of blocking made him a pretty big question mark to me.

RuthlessBurgher
05-03-2019, 12:04 PM
I also seem to remember Dave on the Terrible Podcast saying he went though all his college games and found 1 or 2 plays where his job was pass pro.

It kind of sucks to knock him because his job was to get the ball (running or receiving), but having no track record of blocking made him a pretty big question mark to me.

Hater. ;)

Oh wow
05-03-2019, 12:54 PM

Ah damn... here we go again.

Oh wow
05-03-2019, 12:58 PM

It’s a legit concern and from what I saw last year he still has a long way to go as a blocker.

Conner also showed he has issues catching the ball. My biggest concern with Conner besides injury is his confidence after a mistake. He seemed to really get down on himself after a fumble or dropped pass last year.

RuthlessBurgher
05-03-2019, 02:06 PM
Oh for crying out loud here we go again :p

Ah damn... here we go again.

Just ignore me. All the cool kids are doing it. ;)

pittpete
05-03-2019, 02:44 PM
We have the makings of a physical running game. An identity making running game possibly.

Which should cut down on Bens interceptions and help the defense out two fold....

Oh wow
05-03-2019, 02:45 PM
Just ignore me. All the cool kids are doing it. ;)

“You can’t see this reply because you have blocked this member”

RuthlessBurgher
05-03-2019, 03:06 PM
“You can’t see this reply because you have blocked this member”

If the Orchids of Asia tapes are made public, Bob Kraft better hope that a poor camera angle has blocked his member. ;)

hawaiiansteel
05-03-2019, 03:52 PM
If the Orchids of Asia tapes are made public, Bob Kraft better hope that a poor camera angle has blocked his member. ;)

this is one time that his member being small will help him :p

Steel Maniac
05-03-2019, 04:29 PM
this is one time that his member being small will help him :p

Hahahahaha..what a shot !!

hawaiiansteel
05-03-2019, 09:13 PM
Benny Snell: 'I was made to be a Steeler'

By BRYAN DEARDO

Benny Snell, Pittsburgh's fourth round pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, is extremely happy that he will begin his professional football career with the Steelers. Kentucky's all-time career rushing leader said just that during an interview with 93.7 The Fan on Friday.

The 5'11, 223-pound back rushed for 3,873 yards and 48 touchdowns while averaging 5.3 yards per carry during his time with the Wildcats. He saved one of his best college performances for last, rushing for 144 yards and two scores on 26 carries to help lift his Kentucky Wildcats to a 27-24 victory over Penn State in the 2019 Citrus Bowl. Snell won offensive MVP honors for his performance.

"I felt like I was made to be a Steeler," Snell said. "It was just right. It feels right. This is my type of football and the fit was just perfect. I feel that I've been in a lot of situations, and the NFL is completely different, but I feel like I've had pressure on my shoulders on so many occasions that I became successful at the end of the game. Or I was able to get those tough yards, get the touchdown if needed, so I feel like whatever situation I'm put in, I'm going to try to give my best so we can have the best outcome."

What does Snell expect to bring to Pittsburgh's offense in 2019?

"I try not to let one guy tackle me so running people over and getting those tough yards is just kind of natural to me," Snell said. "With me being the size that I am, I feel like I'm pretty stout as a pass blocker. Things are pretty different in the NFL so I'm going to have to adjust to that."

Eddie Faulkner, who is entering his first year as Pittsburgh's running backs coach, discussed the selection of Snell last weekend. He also talked about how he sees Snell fitting in the offense.

"I mean I think Benny provides a lot of depth," Faulkner said. "He's just a good football player. In my experience, when you have a roster of good football players, and guys who come everyday and put it to work, I mean he's going to bring that to the equation. When you have that passion of love for football, they're going to be willing to contribute in whatever capacity that they can. Not just in the running back room, but with Danny Smith, in special teams, and things in that nature. Again, very excited in what he brings, and we added another great football player to the roster."

Snell also confirmed his desire to wear No. 26, the number previously worn in Pittsburgh by Le'Veon Bell.

ďI came in, I kind of was thinking I might want to do the fresh start thing and not grab 26," he said. "But I feel like 26 is something I can inherit, so we can forget about the past. This is a new beginning for the team. Theyíre kinda rookieíing me for my number right now, but I can say itís going to be a 20 number, for sure, and you know, Iím just taking it slow.Ē

Mark Stoops, Snell's head coach at Kentucky, believes that Snell's underdog mentality will continue to serve him well at the next level.

"Benny is going to be successful because that is just the way he is wired and he is going to work really hard," Stoops said in the week leading up to the draft. "That is a great mentality to have because those yards are tough to come by in the SEC -- and look at the success he has had -- and they are hard to come by in the NFL. You need a player like that."

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Article/Benny-Snell-I-was-made-to-be-a-Steeler-131756393/

Steel Maniac
05-03-2019, 09:57 PM
Love this kids attitude and mindset. He wants to be here and is going to bring a physical element to our offense. I wish we had a bad ass , mean physical guy like that on defense.

Oh wow
05-04-2019, 12:51 PM
We have Devin Bush on D.

He talks a good game too.

Shawn
05-04-2019, 01:01 PM
Snell has a premiere back ceiling. I think itís quite possible that he overtakes Conner at some point during the season. Would like to see more speed but I think he has enough

Steel Maniac
05-04-2019, 01:52 PM
Snell has a premiere back ceiling. I think it’s quite possible that he overtakes Conner at some point during the season. Would like to see more speed but I think he has enough

I here ya but if he’s who you just said he is, our red zone offense could be the best it’s been in a long, long time.

Shawn
05-04-2019, 02:25 PM
I here ya but if heís who you just said he is, our red zone offense could be the best itís been in a long, long time. Honestly, at first I would play him sparingly for the first three quarters and let that powerhouse of a back work on a tired 4th quarter D. Yes I think he will shine in the redzone. But I suspect no one wants to see that dude running at them in late game situations. I canít wait to see what he brings to the table.

Oh wow
05-04-2019, 05:04 PM
Honestly, at first I would play him sparingly for the first three quarters and let that powerhouse of a back work on a tired 4th quarter D. Yes I think he will shine in the redzone. But I suspect no one wants to see that dude running at them in late game situations. I can’t wait to see what he brings to the table.

I’m not trusting a rookie to close out games. Give him a series or 2 early.

hawaiiansteel
05-04-2019, 05:11 PM
Iím not trusting a rookie to close out games. Give him a series or 2 early.

I agree, keep Conner fresh by giving Samuels and Snell some plays earlier in the game and let Conner close out the games.

Shawn
05-04-2019, 05:58 PM
I’m not trusting a rookie to close out games. Give him a series or 2 early.. Many teams have no issues letting a rookie close games. In over 750 touches Snell lost 4 fumbles over three seasons. I’m alright with those numbers.

hawaiiansteel
05-04-2019, 06:46 PM
. Many teams have no issues letting a rookie close games. In over 750 touches Snell lost 4 fumbles over three seasons. I’m alright with those numbers.

I'm sure Snell will be given every opportunity to earn touches, I only saw him play a couple of times but everytime I did he played great. I never thought he would be available to us when we picked in the 4th round...

Shawn
05-04-2019, 07:05 PM
I'm sure Snell will be given every opportunity to earn touches, I only saw him play a couple of times but everytime I did he played great. I never thought he would be available to us when we picked in the 4th round... this is the pick in most excited about personally. Iím nostalgic when it comes to a power running game.

Oh wow
05-05-2019, 09:31 AM
. Many teams have no issues letting a rookie close games. In over 750 touches Snell lost 4 fumbles over three seasons. I’m alright with those numbers.

I doubt that.

I rarely see rookies play sparingly and then close out games in the 4th quarter.

Shawn
05-05-2019, 04:13 PM
I doubt that.

I rarely see rookies play sparingly and then close out games in the 4th quarter. Jax, KC, Minnesota and the Giants come to mind.

hawaiiansteel
05-05-2019, 04:29 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D5LPI5WWwAgwljR.jpg

Steel Maniac
05-05-2019, 04:49 PM
Jax, KC, Minnesota and the Giants come to mind.

Boom......

Oh wow
05-05-2019, 04:51 PM

If you mean Fournette, Hunt and Barkley those guys were Bell cows drafted to be the 1st option.

I meant using them sparingly until the 4th their rookie season.

That rarely happens and there is a reason for that.

Steel Maniac
05-05-2019, 09:02 PM

Dallas too with zek.

Captain Lemming
05-05-2019, 10:31 PM
If you mean Fournette, Hunt and Barkley those guys were Bell cows drafted to be the 1st option.

I meant using them sparingly until the 4th their rookie season.

That rarely happens and there is a reason for that.

What is the reason other than a drop off behind them?
If being a rookie mattered you wouldnt make a rookie a bellcow.

If this kid is gonna be a tough to tackle with fresh legs.......he would be perfect for that "old Bus"/ fast Willie or Bam /Morris Pegram combos.

NJ-STEELER
05-06-2019, 12:32 AM

it starts with the guys up front. and while they might be a top unit, I'm not sure you can really call them a road grading type of line (TEs too). maybe foster and feiler fit in that category but not sure about the rest

Oh wow
05-06-2019, 08:29 AM

If this kid is gonna be a tough to tackle with fresh legs.......he would be perfect for that "old Bus"/ fast Willie or Bam /Morris Pegram combos.

The reason is ball security and trust.

Not sure why people are using 1st round studs who played early and often as a comparison to what Shawn actually said.

I don’t remember any rookies being used sparingly in the first 3 quarters and then finishing games in the 4th.

It’s rare for teams to do that with a rookie RB.

If Snell is good enough to be used like Zeke and Fournette then he damn well better get the ball all 4 quarters.

I have no problem with Snell getting reps during the game if he is who we think he is...

but having him cold on the bench or giving him 2 or 3 touches and then asking him to close out games? That’s not how most teams use rookies at any position.

Steel Maniac
05-06-2019, 08:33 AM
it starts with the guys up front. and while they might be a top unit, I'm not sure you can really call them a road grading type of line (TEs too). maybe foster and feiler fit in that category but not sure about the rest

I feel you; and we’ve got an unproven O-line coach too? If our O-line isn’t up to snuff, there will be no need to talk about the offense.

ikestops85
05-06-2019, 04:56 PM
The reason is ball security and trust.

Not sure why people are using 1st round studs who played early and often as a comparison to what Shawn actually said.

I don’t remember any rookies being used sparingly in the first 3 quarters and then finishing games in the 4th.

It’s rare for teams to do that with a rookie RB.

If Snell is good enough to be used like Zeke and Fournette then he damn well better get the ball all 4 quarters.

I have no problem with Snell getting reps during the game if he is who we think he is...

but having him cold on the bench or giving him 2 or 3 touches and then asking him to close out games? That’s not how most teams use rookies at any position.

I guess we could pick up a vet like say, uhm, Ridley, to close out games. :HeadBanger

Steel Maniac
05-06-2019, 05:24 PM
Kareem Hunt was a third round pick.

Oh wow
05-06-2019, 05:50 PM
I guess we could pick up a vet like say, uhm, Ridley, to close out games. :HeadBanger

Haha.. people forget we started a drive from in our endzone with Ridley earlier in that game.

Fumbles happen unfortunately.

Oh wow
05-06-2019, 05:54 PM
Kareem Hunt was a third round pick.

and a day 1 starter.

Shawn
05-06-2019, 06:26 PM

If this kid is gonna be a tough to tackle with fresh legs.......he would be perfect for that "old Bus"/ fast Willie or Bam /Morris Pegram combos.. Exactly. Being a rookie should have nothing to do with anything. You can either hang onto the ball or you canít.

Steel Maniac
05-06-2019, 06:35 PM
Exactly..........

Oh wow
05-06-2019, 10:10 PM
. Exactly. Being a rookie should have nothing to do with anything. You can either hang onto the ball or you can’t.

Seriously? Being a rookie has nothing to do with anything?

That’s a dumb ass statement Shawn.. lol.

The majority of rookies don’t do much. A chosen few have immediate impact but most struggle to see the field let alone close out games after being used sparingly for 3 quarters.

If Snell is a beast who can close out games as a rookie best believe he is playing the other 3 quarters.

hawaiiansteel
05-06-2019, 10:27 PM
The majority of rookies don’t do much. A chosen few have immediate impact but most struggle to see the field let alone close out games after being used sparingly for 3 quarters.

If Snell is a beast who can close out games as a rookie best believe he is playing the other 3 quarters.

especially when you consider that Snell lasted until the 4th round and has an All-Pro RB ahead of him.

Shawn
05-07-2019, 06:32 AM
Seriously? Being a rookie has nothing to do with anything?

That’s a dumb ass statement Shawn.. lol.

My point is I want a guy like Snell closing games. Whether he plays 1-4, 2-4, 3-4, or just 4 is irrelevant to me. If a rookie can play, then being a rookie means squat. I want to see tired 4th quarter Ds try to tackle that man/bulldozer. That is my point and you want to get stuck on going rounds about rookie. As for this “all pro” in front of him, Conner is a good back but he like any back who runs behind the Steelers OL will find success. Let’s see how this plays out because Snell is going to give Conner a run for his money. If Snell can prove effective as a blocker and receiver, Conner will have some sleepless nights.

Steel Maniac
05-07-2019, 08:40 AM
My point is I want a guy like Snell closing games. Whether he plays 1-4, 2-4, 3-4, or just 4 is irrelevant to me. If a rookie can play, then being a rookie means squat. I want to see tired 4th quarter Ds try to tackle that man/bulldozer. That is my point and you want to get stuck on going rounds about rookie. As for this “all pro” in front of him, Conner is a good back but he like any back who runs behind the Steelers OL will find success. Let’s see how this plays out because Snell is going to give Conner a run for his money. If Snell can prove effective as a blocker and receiver, Conner will have some sleepless nights.

This is where I’m coming from as well.

Northern_Blitz
05-07-2019, 09:19 AM

After the fumbles last year, I think they will be extra cautious giving people roles without having confidence that they won't give the game away

Oh wow
05-07-2019, 09:56 AM

I definitely think he could be something special but I will admit, watching his tapes the Kentucky OL opened massive holes for him.

He isn’t the fastest nor the shiftiest runner but he is big and hits the hole.

I had the same mindset when we drafted Conner but then I realized we aren’t going to sit our best RB to let a rookie close out games.

I definitely think this pick shows we aren’t totally sold on Conner whether it’s durability or confidence.

My biggest concern with Conner is his confidence and drop off in production after a mistake.

RuthlessBurgher
05-07-2019, 11:54 AM
any back who runs behind the Steelers OL will find success

This seems to be a common sentiment among Steeler fans.

We did invest highly in our OL a few years ago, getting Maurkice Pouncey and David DeCastro with first round picks.

But does anyone realize that the other 60% of our starting OL is made up entirely of undrafted players, including both tackles?

Yup, Alejandro Villenueva, Ramon Foster, and Matt Feiler all entered the league as UDFA's. Plus, our top gameday backup for all 3 of the interior OL spots, B.J. Finney, was also a UDFA.

Oh wow
05-07-2019, 12:06 PM
There were a lot of games the second half of the season where we didnt have success running the football.

NorthCoast
05-07-2019, 12:14 PM

We did invest highly in our OL a few years ago, getting Maurkice Pouncey and David DeCastro with first round picks.

But does anyone realize that the other 60% of our starting OL is made up entirely of undrafted players, including both tackles?

Yup, Alejandro Villenueva, Ramon Foster, and Matt Feiler all entered the league as UDFA's. Plus, our top gameday backup for all 3 of the interior OL spots, B.J. Finney, was also a UDFA.

The Munchak effect. Boy I really hope that stellar coaching didn't disappear out the door when he left.
Hopefully whatshisname learned something during the 5 yrs working with the master.

Steel Maniac
05-07-2019, 12:56 PM
The Munchak effect. Boy I really hope that stellar coaching didn't disappear out the door when he left.
Hopefully whatshisname learned something during the 5 yrs working with the master.

Seeing what the our starting O-line can do is our first priority.

Buzz
05-07-2019, 01:13 PM
After Bush, I think Snell is the rookie who will have the most impact this season. I guess that may not happen if Tomlin reverts to his pattern of giving almost all the carries to his lead back, but I'm hoping there will be a little bit more of a RB by committee approach.

Shawn
05-07-2019, 01:23 PM

Yup, Alejandro Villenueva, Ramon Foster, and Matt Feiler all entered the league as UDFA's. Plus, our top gameday backup for all 3 of the interior OL spots, B.J. Finney, was also a UDFA.. Which is a testiment to Munchak and this FO

Sugar
05-07-2019, 01:43 PM
After Bush, I think Snell is the rookie who will have the most impact this season. I guess that may not happen if Tomlin reverts to his pattern of giving almost all the carries to his lead back, but I'm hoping there will be a little bit more of a RB by committee approach.

I don't think it's a matter of reverting to that approach as opposed to continuing it. He's never left that methodology.

Steel Maniac
05-07-2019, 01:54 PM
I don't think it's a matter of reverting to that approach as opposed to continuing it. He's never left that methodology.

I'm afraid your right. Tomlin doesn't like to change; they had to force someone on him to help him with clock management and instant replay. 12 years in, he's not changing that aspect of himself. I don't see Tomlin doing anything different on offense. He may do somethings different on defense thou.

RuthlessBurgher
05-07-2019, 02:15 PM
Seeing what the our starting O-line can do is our first priority.

We know what our starting OL can do already. There are certainly much bigger priorities on this team than that.

Marcus Gilbert was limited to only 5 games last season due to injury, so Matt Feiler was our starting RT for over double the amount of time that Gilbert was.

And the rest of the starting five...AV, RF, MP, and DD...are all long-time experienced starters in the league at this point.

We know very well how these guys mesh together already (and we also know that Finney and Chuks are both quite competent fill-in options if needed as well).

Oh wow
05-07-2019, 03:47 PM
We know what our starting OL can do already. There are certainly much bigger priorities on this team than that.

Marcus Gilbert was limited to only 5 games last season due to injury, so Matt Feiler was our starting RT for over double the amount of time that Gilbert was.

And the rest of the starting five...AV, RF, MP, and DD...are all long-time experienced starters in the league at this point.

We know very well how these guys mesh together already (and we also know that Finney and Chuks are both quite competent fill-in options if needed as well).
Hmm... when was Gilbert hurt?

Just wondering if our production slipped on the ground without him.

While I wasnt the biggest Gilbert fan due to his durability I think run blocking was his strength.

RuthlessBurgher
05-07-2019, 04:19 PM
Hmm... when was Gilbert hurt?

Just wondering if our production slipped on the ground without him.

While I wasnt the biggest Gilbert fan due to his durability I think run blocking was his strength.

Gilbert played the first two games, sat out week 3, then came back to play in the next three games, but that was it for him in black and gold.

Feiler started every game for us after our week 7 bye, with the exception of week 12 (Chuks started for an injured Feiler in Denver).

KYPITTFAN
05-07-2019, 05:08 PM
O Line is good no doubt but it's helped by the threat of a great passing game.

Steel Maniac
05-07-2019, 05:56 PM
O Line is good no doubt but it's helped by the threat of a great passing game.

I'm not going to make the assumption that our O-line play will still be as it's been for the last few years; I'm praying it does but there are no guarantees. We had the best O-line coach in the game and he was worth every penny to us. For him to leave isn't an insignificant thing like some others are thinking.

RuthlessBurgher
05-07-2019, 06:09 PM
I'm not going to make the assumption that our O-line play will still be as it's been for the last few years; I'm praying it does but there are no guarantees. We had the best O-line coach in the game and he was worth every penny to us. For him to leave isn't an insignificant thing like some others are thinking.

We likely won't be nearly as good mining and developing UDFA talent as well as Munchak did going forward (Villanueva, Foster, Feiler, and Finney are all very productive UDFA gems). Munch is one of the best all time at this, no question.

But to think that the OL we have now is going to regress in a major way just because Munch is gone and Sarrett is now the OL coach rather than an assistant OL coach... that's overreacting.

Villanueva, Foster, Pouncey, DeCastro, Feiler, Okorafor, and Finney all know how to play in the NFL, and they've proven that they mesh well with each other. They aren't going to simply forget how to play o-line in this league just because Munch is in Denver.

Shawn
05-08-2019, 06:16 AM
There were a lot of games the second half of the season where we didnt have success running the football. Agreed, IMO Conner is inconsistent. One game looking like back of the year and the next disappearing. How much that had to do with the game plan is anyoneís guess. But Iím not sold on Conner being a premiere back quite yet. I think giving him real competition is a good thing. He will either fold like a lawn chair or step up. As for Snell and his speed. He has little top end speed, Iíll give you that. But the dude has some quickness for a big man. I watched him bounce A gaps that closed and hit the C for big yards. He has terrific patience and vision. He likes hitting people. He is a lunch pail, hit you in the mouth, think twice before you try to tackle me back. I love that. And thatís the attitude this team needs. Football is still a tough manís sport. And he is the retro answer to these Ds going big nickel and dime to counter our passing attack. I want to see these smallish safety linebacker hybrids tackle this guy late in games. I want to see that badly.

Shawn
05-08-2019, 06:51 AM
Let me say one last thing about Snell and then I’ll let his talent speak on the field this season. The more I watch of Snell the more he reminds me of Bell when he was coming out of MSU.

The vision, and patience, the ability to keep his feet moving and navigate tight holes waiting for his OL to open something up. That spin move he has is fierce, and the way he can hop a low tackling defender feels much like Bells college tape. He runs harder than Bell, but doesn’t quite have his quickness. But I do believe the two are very comparable.

Oh wow
05-08-2019, 11:17 AM
Let me say one last thing about Snell and then I’ll let his talent speak on the field this season. The more I watch of Snell the more he reminds me of Bell when he was coming out of MSU.

The vision, and patience, the ability to keep his feet moving and navigate tight holes waiting for his OL to open something up. That spin move he has is fierce, and the way he can hop a low tackling defender feels much like Bells college tape. He runs harder than Bell, but doesn’t quite have his quickness. But I do believe the two are very comparable.

Yes. He definitely reminds me of Bell as MSU. But the Bell we ended up with was totally different. Much lighter and had a totally different style from college.

I wonder if they will let him keep his weight or ask him to slim down?

All I know is anytime I heard about Kentucky they kept saying they had no passing game at all. No real threat so teams knew they were running and most teams couldn’t stop them.

Shawn
05-08-2019, 11:22 AM
Yes. He definitely reminds me of Bell as MSU. But the Bell we ended up with was totally different. Much lighter and had a totally different style from college.

I wonder if they will let him keep his weight or ask him to slim down?

All I know is anytime I heard about Kentucky they kept saying they had no passing game at all. No real threat so teams knew they were running and most teams couldn’t stop them. I was thinking the same thing. If he could trim 10 pounds and keep most of his power that may give him that extra burst he needs. His speed and burst numbers are very similar to Conners. But he runs harder than Conner. He has better vision and patience as well. I’m looking at the better back in Snell.

RuthlessBurgher
05-08-2019, 11:27 AM
Wasn't Bell a truly "big back" in college, weighing in the neighborhood of 245 or so pounds as a Spartan?

He was able to drop about 20 pounds to get down to the 225 pound range where he is currently listed.

I believe Snell is already 225 pounds now. I can't see him even losing 10 pounds down to 215, because that wouldn't fit his running style. I'd say Benny's fine right where he is now.

RuthlessBurgher
05-08-2019, 11:28 AM
Steelers sign fourth-rounder Benny Snell

Posted by Josh Alper on May 8, 2019, 11:12 AM EDT

The Steelers continued to get their 2019 draft picks under contract.

Two players signed on Tuesday and the team announced two more signings on Wednesday. Shortly after third-round pick Dionte Johnson signed, the team released word that fourth-round running back Benny Snell is also under contract.

Snell comes to the Steelers after running for 1,449 yards at Kentucky last season. He closed his time in college as the school’s all-time leading rusher.

Snell joins James Conner and Jaylen Samuels in the Pittsburgh backfield and General Manager Kevin Colbert suggested that the rookie could be part of the kind of running back committee that the Steelers have rarely employed in recent memory.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/08/steelers-sign-fourth-rounder-benny-snell/

Shawn
05-08-2019, 11:34 AM
Wasn't Bell a truly "big back" in college, weighing in the neighborhood of 245 or so pounds as a Spartan?

He was able to drop about 20 pounds to get down to the 225 pound range where he is currently listed.

I believe Snell is already 225 pounds now. I can't see him even losing 10 pounds down to 215, because that wouldn't fit his running style. I'd say Benny's fine right where he is now. you may be right. But dropping weight didn’t really fit Bells style either. Bell was a power runner. Also I believe Bell is a couple inches taller. The ONLY thing keeping Snell from being an elite college prospect is his quickness. While he has some, it’s not impressive. It’s my only knock on the guy. But if Conner can pull it off I think Snell can pull it off better.

Northern_Blitz
05-08-2019, 04:58 PM
We likely won't be nearly as good mining and developing UDFA talent as well as Munchak did going forward (Villanueva, Foster, Feiler, and Finney are all very productive UDFA gems). Munch is one of the best all time at this, no question.

But to think that the OL we have now is going to regress in a major way just because Munch is gone and Sarrett is now the OL coach rather than an assistant OL coach... that's overreacting.

Villanueva, Foster, Pouncey, DeCastro, Feiler, Okorafor, and Finney all know how to play in the NFL, and they've proven that they mesh well with each other. They aren't going to simply forget how to play o-line in this league just because Munch is in Denver.

Nope. Munch was the one with the pixie dust. Minus 10 from all Oline attributes of every player.

Steel Maniac
05-09-2019, 08:15 AM
you may be right. But dropping weight didn’t really fit Bells style either. Bell was a power runner. Also I believe Bell is a couple inches taller. The ONLY thing keeping Snell from being an elite college prospect is his quickness. While he has some, it’s not impressive. It’s my only knock on the guy. But if Conner can pull it off I think Snell can pull it off better.

With Snell & Conner complimenting each other and sharing the load, We should see an effective passing game. That's the big thing to me; less passing but very effective passing. With our offense dictating the other teams defensive personnel because of the running game we bring.

flippy
05-09-2019, 08:43 AM
Agreed, IMO Conner is inconsistent. One game looking like back of the year and the next disappearing. How much that had to do with the game plan is anyoneís guess. But Iím not sold on Conner being a premiere back quite yet. I think giving him real competition is a good thing. He will either fold like a lawn chair or step up. As for Snell and his speed. He has little top end speed, Iíll give you that. But the dude has some quickness for a big man. I watched him bounce A gaps that closed and hit the C for big yards. He has terrific patience and vision. He likes hitting people. He is a lunch pail, hit you in the mouth, think twice before you try to tackle me back. I love that. And thatís the attitude this team needs. Football is still a tough manís sport. And he is the retro answer to these Ds going big nickel and dime to counter our passing attack. I want to see these smallish safety linebacker hybrids tackle this guy late in games. I want to see that badly.

I like sharing the load at RB, but I'd say don't sleep on Samuels. I'm not sure Snell is going to pass him on the depth chart. Jaylen is a super versatile back and I like him splitting carries with Conner.

Re: being a physical and violent runner, imho, Snell's running style is anywhere in the same neighborhood of Conner. Snell likes to dance like Bell, but even going back to his days at Pitt, there's very few runners that are as violent as Conner. Almost every time he's about to get hit, Conner lowers his head and delivers the blow. There's no dancing to Conner's game. That kid loves contact and is usually the one to initiate it. A lot of the backs people call physical are good at breaking arm tackles, but Conner plays a different game. Conner plays football like Hines Ward to a degree. He's one of the few O players that's gonna make sure he hits you before you hit him.

Snell like Bell is more of a finesse back.

Oh wow
05-09-2019, 08:50 AM
I agree on Samuels. I actually think if he improves his blocking he might be our best option at RB due to his hands.

His blocking was terrible though last year. He has to improve in that department.

Steel Maniac
05-09-2019, 09:19 AM
I like sharing the load at RB, but I'd say don't sleep on Samuels. I'm not sure Snell is going to pass him on the depth chart. Jaylen is a super versatile back and I like him splitting carries with Conner.

Re: being a physical and violent runner, imho, Snell's running style is anywhere in the same neighborhood of Conner. Snell likes to dance like Bell, but even going back to his days at Pitt, there's very few runners that are as violent as Conner. Almost every time he's about to get hit, Conner lowers his head and delivers the blow. There's no dancing to Conner's game. That kid loves contact and is usually the one to initiate it. A lot of the backs people call physical are good at breaking arm tackles, but Conner plays a different game. Conner plays football like Hines Ward to a degree. He's one of the few O players that's gonna make sure he hits you before you hit him.

Snell like Bell is more of a finesse back.

flippy, you don't think that Snell adjust his running style? Meaning once he sees the hole, he hits the hole. No dancing required or needed. I definitely see Samuels having a role..especially on 3rd and 8 or more situations. Depending on the weaknesses of the defenses that we may face that particular week.

flippy
05-09-2019, 08:09 PM
flippy, you don't think that Snell adjust his running style? Meaning once he sees the hole, he hits the hole. No dancing required or needed. I definitely see Samuels having a role..especially on 3rd and 8 or more situations. Depending on the weaknesses of the defenses that we may face that particular week.

I think his running style is fine. He's patient, shifty, and generally adept at avoiding contact. The big question on Snell imho is he fast enough at the next level. I think he'll could be fine. I think he looks faster on tape than Conner personally.

But Conner is a beast that plays offense like a defensive player. He lowers his head and initiates contact. There have rarely been offensive players in this mold. He reminds me of the RB version of Hines Ward to a degree with his overall approach. Conner has heart that few others possess. But he's slowish and he needs to hold the ball better at times.

That said. Conner and Snell are plodders compared to Samuels. Conner although slower should continue to be a lot more effective. One cut and go makes his lack of speed a non issue. Plus he's gonna punish you and I personally wouldn't want to have to tackle him. Heck, the Bus was a beast to tackle, but he didn't initiate contact most of the time like Conner. Bettis tried to use his quick feet to dance around you. Guys of course would bounce off the Bus when they tried to tackle him and he was a different beast altogether, but even he never ran as violent as Conner.

I think there's a huge opp for Samuels in this O. Without a legit #2 TE, I hope to see Samuels deployed as an HBack regularly and on the field with Conner and/or Snell. I think Samuels is going to have a breakout year and is still probably the most underrated guy on O. Just like we're drafting smaller, more athletic players on D, why not role with a smaller TE. Samuels was a freak at NC State. He was a far better player than an athlete, but then even come combine time, he was at or near the top of most TEs at the combine. Sure he's a lot smaller, but even his bench press numbers were better than most guys much bigger than him. He should see a lot more snaps. He's really well suited to play a traditional HBack role. I think he could be a smallish TE if he improves his blocking and the kid is strong enough and will overcome his size. I really think we could use him like NE tried to use Aaron Hernandez in his short career. Jaylen is a tad smaller, but I think a better athlete with more potential and quality character. He's truly versatile because he can also legit play RB. Kid is a weapon and is way more than a TE or RB.

Eddie Spaghetti
05-09-2019, 08:16 PM
hold on there flippy

you believe jaylen samuels is a better athlete with more potential than aaron Hernandez i?

c'mon man

Coolie Man
05-09-2019, 08:21 PM
More like Benny Snail. Heís a slow dude.

Shawn
05-09-2019, 08:54 PM
flippy, you don't think that Snell adjust his running style? Meaning once he sees the hole, he hits the hole. No dancing required or needed. I definitely see Samuels having a role..especially on 3rd and 8 or more situations. Depending on the weaknesses of the defenses that we may face that particular week. Yeah, I don't know who Flippy is looking at...Snell is a violent man beast of a runner. Yes, he "dances" as in he isn't a run up the back side of his OLmen if a hole isn't there. He is patient, and has nifty feet, then hit the hole and runs over people. I see Snell as the more physical back.

Shawn
05-09-2019, 08:55 PM
More like Benny Snail. He’s a slow dude. His combine numbers are almost exactly that of Conner.

Steel Maniac
05-09-2019, 09:06 PM
Yeah, I don't know who Flippy is looking at...Snell is a violent man beast of a runner. Yes, he "dances" as in he isn't a run up the back side of his OLmen if a hole isn't there. He is patient, and has nifty feet, then hit the hole and runs over people. I see Snell as the more physical back.

I see Snell as the more physical runner too but it’s a pleasant problem to have when you have two physical runningbacks.

RuthlessBurgher
05-09-2019, 10:20 PM
His combine numbers are almost exactly that of Conner.

If Conner's name was conveniently similar to snail or slug or sloth or something then maybe he'd receive some barely clever quip too.

Oh wow
05-10-2019, 06:24 AM
I’m sorry but Benny Snail is a hilarious name. One of the better ones even if it’s not accurate.

Shawn
05-10-2019, 06:44 AM
I see Snell as the more physical runner too but itís a pleasant problem to have when you have two physical runningbacks. ok let the names begin. Hammer and Anvil? No. Tylenol and Advil? Lol nah. I need some help from our more creative members obviously.

Shawn
05-10-2019, 06:45 AM
I’m sorry but Benny Snail is a hilarious name. One of the better ones even if it’s not accurate. I didn’t want to admit I snort chuckled.

flippy
05-10-2019, 07:24 AM
hold on there flippy

you believe jaylen samuels is a better athlete with more potential than aaron Hernandez i?

c'mon man

They're different but similar in some ways. I was trying to compare him to some smaller TE and Hernandez is the only guy I could come up with that is close. The knock on AH coming out of school was he was too small to play TE. Jaylen is about 2-3 inches shorter and 20 lbs lighter and Hernandez is stronger and came out of college a better blocker. But JS was more of a utility player in college, so it's not really easy to compare them in capabilities at a particular position coming out. I'll give AH size and strength. But Jaylen is a better runner in the open field, he's quicker, and he's more versatile as he's shown being able to work as a RB.

My whole point is it's limiting to just think of him as a RB. He's capable of a lot more and I'd like to see him used more often even with Conner on the field.

flippy
05-10-2019, 07:47 AM
Yeah, I don't know who Flippy is looking at...Snell is a violent man beast of a runner. Yes, he "dances" as in he isn't a run up the back side of his OLmen if a hole isn't there. He is patient, and has nifty feet, then hit the hole and runs over people. I see Snell as the more physical back.

Just look at 2 short highlight reels of each in college and it's clear as day. You would expect to see a "violent man beast" initiating contact and running people over. In Snell's reel, I think he makes contact about 2 times throughout his reel and I don't see either time as intentional, he just happens to run into a guy.

Conner's reel, I stopped counting the number of times he lowers his head and initiates contact on his runs. There's probably 20 examples of him lowering his head and seeking to initiate contact on his runs. That's the way he continues to play now.

I think there's a misnomer a lot of times that a big guy that's hard to tackle is a violent runner. A lot of these guys like Snell, Bell, and even Bettis consistently try to find a way to run around you and dance through a hole. Conner has a different MO and he consistently lowers his head and initiates contact and I think he truly wants to run through guys instead of around them like most sane backs.

This isn't a knock on Snell. He's just a different style of runner than Conner which is fine. They measure close to the same, but when I watch them play, Snell looks faster than Conner to me. And maybe it's out of necessity that Conner isn't a premiere athlete so he has to take a different approach. And while he's fun to watch, it's not a good thing for his longevity, health, or career. But then again, maybe if he's initiating contact, it's better to be the hitter than the hittee. But I don't think so. I think the hits Conner initiates is going to shorten his career and necessitate needing someone to share the load.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv81fpc7KLw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smvhNAvr4ME

If you have better examples of Snell running people over and initiating contact, I'd be happy to look at them. But I think this is a pretty fair/short representation of their styles.

Steel Maniac
05-10-2019, 08:25 AM
Well, by season’s end, I’m hoping they are splitting carries and thus, keeping each other fresh and effective. And we are leading the league in rushing TDs too.

Gus
05-10-2019, 10:11 AM
I didn’t want to admit I snort chuckled.
You claim to lack creativity. Yet, you immediately present us with snort and chuckle. It might lack something in the intimidation category, but it’s creative.
;)

RuthlessBurgher
05-10-2019, 11:28 AM
NFL experts predict: Answering the 2019 draft's biggest questions

7:00 AM ET
ESPN NFL Experts

Round 1 of the 2019 NFL draft featured six draft-day trades, pass-rushers and defensive linemen galore, and surprises throughout. Rounds 2-7? That's where teams will find the real value.

Our panel of ESPN NFL experts evaluates the full new crop of rookies, diving into their favorite picks and answering questions about what we should expect this season. Check back every day this week to see more answers.

Give us a Round 2-7 pick who has some value in fantasy this season.

Matt Bowen, NFL analyst: Deebo Samuel, WR, San Francisco 49ers. The South Carolina product has the skill set to play in the slot or bump outside of the numbers. And I love his game after the catch. He's an aggressive runner with the ball in his hands. Look for Kyle Shanahan to create plenty of middle-of-the-field opportunities for Samuel in his rookie season.

Mike Clay, fantasy writer: David Montgomery, RB, Chicago Bears. Jordan Howard wasn't dynamic enough to operate as a clear feature back in Matt Nagy's offense, but Montgomery certainly is. The Iowa State product lacks top-end speed, but he's big and super elusive, and he can help as a receiver. Expect him to quickly take on a bulk of Chicago's carries while stealing targets from Tarik Cohen.

Dan Graziano, national NFL writer: David Montgomery, RB, Chicago Bears. I know Matt Nagy wants to change his offensive game plan week-to-week (maybe quarter-to-quarter) based on matchups. But if he has a three-down back who can handle the bulk of the carries and contribute in protection, I don't doubt he'll lean on him. Montgomery could be that guy.

KC Joyner, fantasy writer: Benny Snell Jr., RB, Pittsburgh Steelers. Snell is perfectly suited to work as the Steelers' goal-line back. That could give him great fantasy depth value, given Pittsburgh's offensive firepower, and could make Snell a valuable DFS pick in many weeks.

Mina Kimes, NFL writer: Parris Campbell, WR, Indianapolis Colts. Frank Reich wants Andrew Luck to get the ball out quickly, making Campbell the perfect weapon for the Colts' offense. Although he might not draw many targets in the end zone, he'll rack up significant yards after the catch on slants and screens.

Jason Reid, The Undefeated senior writer: Mecole Hardman, WR/KR, Kansas City Chiefs. The speedy wide receiver could step in and start in the slot. With the uncertainty of Tyreek Hill's situation, Hardman could quickly become a major part of the Chiefs' offense.

Mike Sando, senior NFL writer: Deebo Samuel, WR, San Francisco 49ers. Samuel looks like a great fit for Kyle Shanahan and could be another Pierre Garcon-type producer. I also like the Colts' Campbell (one GM thought he'd need a year of seasoning) and think the Rams' Darrell Henderson is a player to watch (skepticism outweighs optimism on Todd Gurley II).

Kevin Seifert, national NFL writer: Mecole Hardman, WR/KR, Kansas City Chiefs. Coach Andy Reid's migration toward college concepts makes it easier to project immediate impact from receivers. In other words, Hardman is more equipped to contribute right away than he would have been in other schemes. With an MVP at quarterback and the possible exit of Tyreek Hill, the opportunity will be there.

Field Yates, NFL analyst: Miles Sanders, RB, Philadelphia Eagles. The Eagles traded for Jordan Howard this offseason, but the second-round investment in Sanders was far more significant. He's a capable receiver, which lends itself to him staying on the field in a variety of situations. The Philly backfield is crowded, but Sanders has a chance to emerge as the most valuable piece of it.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/story/_/id/26679818/nfl-experts-predict-answering-2019-draft-biggest-questions

Shawn
05-10-2019, 11:28 AM
Just look at 2 short highlight reels of each in college and it's clear as day. You would expect to see a "violent man beast" initiating contact and running people over. In Snell's reel, I think he makes contact about 2 times throughout his reel and I don't see either time as intentional, he just happens to run into a guy.

Conner's reel, I stopped counting the number of times he lowers his head and initiates contact on his runs. There's probably 20 examples of him lowering his head and seeking to initiate contact on his runs. That's the way he continues to play now.

I think there's a misnomer a lot of times that a big guy that's hard to tackle is a violent runner. A lot of these guys like Snell, Bell, and even Bettis consistently try to find a way to run around you and dance through a hole. Conner has a different MO and he consistently lowers his head and initiates contact and I think he truly wants to run through guys instead of around them like most sane backs.

This isn't a knock on Snell. He's just a different style of runner than Conner which is fine. They measure close to the same, but when I watch them play, Snell looks faster than Conner to me. And maybe it's out of necessity that Conner isn't a premiere athlete so he has to take a different approach. And while he's fun to watch, it's not a good thing for his longevity, health, or career. But then again, maybe if he's initiating contact, it's better to be the hitter than the hittee. But I don't think so. I think the hits Conner initiates is going to shorten his career and necessitate needing someone to share the load.

If you have better examples of Snell running people over and initiating contact, I'd be happy to look at them. But I think this is a pretty fair/short representation of their styles.. That’s the difference between me and you. I don’t look at highlight reels and make statements.

RuthlessBurgher
05-10-2019, 11:37 AM
Doesn't "Mach Snell" mean something like "Speed Up" in German? (I recall German officers yelling that to the soldiers in old movies when they wanted them to work more quickly).

If he is able to "Mach Snell"...hopefully he finds his afterburners so we'd have "Benny and the Jets" rather than "Benny Snail"

Oh wow
05-10-2019, 11:38 AM

If you have better examples of Snell running people over and initiating contact, I'd be happy to look at them. But I think this is a pretty fair/short representation of their styles.

Yeah. Earlier I said the Kentucky OL was a monster because they opened some serious holes for Snell.

I didn’t see Snell violently run over anyone in the clips I watched. 95% of the runs I watched he wasn’t even touched for the first 10 yards.

NorthCoast
05-10-2019, 12:48 PM

The gold standard in trucking guys? Earl Freakin Campell.... sadly, he paid for it in retirement.

Steel Maniac
05-10-2019, 12:51 PM
The gold standard in trucking guys? Earl Freakin Campell.... sadly, he paid for it in retirement.

You are correct sir; Earl Campbell trucked many a fool. I can never forget that Rams game where he trucked Isiah Robertson.

Oh wow
05-10-2019, 12:55 PM
Bettis was an extremely violent runner and fun to watch. Quick feet but make no mistake about it, He inflicted a lot of pain on defenders.

flippy
05-10-2019, 02:51 PM

He's probably the closest comparison to Conner's running style. Both are quick to lower their head/shoulder and initiate contact.

Most of the other bigger backs run into guys on accident and generally try to avoid contact.

It's also why Conner gets so many yards after contact. He's not getting hit. He's doing the hitting most of the time. So he's naturally going to stay up a little longer than a guy that gets hit and tries to keep going.

flippy
05-10-2019, 02:59 PM
. Thatís the difference between me and you. I donít look at highlight reels and make statements.

So show us plays where Snell initiates contact. I really didn't find any?

Seriously though, football celebrates violence. You should see lots of contact in highlights of a "violent man beast". But I haven't seen it.

I'm just commenting on what I've seen. I would really expect in a highlight reel a RB would lower his head or shoulder at some point and initiate contact.

Shawn
05-10-2019, 02:59 PM
Doesn't "Mach Snell" mean something like "Speed Up" in German? (I recall German officers yelling that to the soldiers in old movies when they wanted them to work more quickly).

If he is able to "Mach Snell"...hopefully he finds his afterburners so we'd have "Benny and the Jets" rather than "Benny Snail" Dude you are way too smart for your own good. Lol

Shawn
05-10-2019, 03:01 PM
So show us plays where Snell initiates contact. I really didn't find any?

Seriously though, football celebrates violence. You should see lots of contact in highlights of a "violent man beast". But I haven't seen it.

I'm just commenting on what I've seen. I would really expect in a highlight reel a RB would lower his head or shoulder at some point and initiate contact. first don’t look on YouTube. There are sites where you can get condensed games and I’ve given links to these sites in the past. Feel free to do a search. Gave it last year about this time. Not trying to be a jerk. Just not home and don’t remember the name of the main site I use.

Shawn
05-10-2019, 03:03 PM
Bettis was an extremely violent runner and fun to watch. Quick feet but make no mistake about it, He inflicted a lot of pain on defenders.. Indeed, and I’m fairly sure towards the end of his career he was at a 5.0 flat in the 40.

RuthlessBurgher
05-10-2019, 03:03 PM
Dude you are way too smart for your own good. Lol

I'm too much of a smartass for my own good, that's for damn sure. ;)

NorthCoast
05-10-2019, 04:58 PM
Bettis was an extremely violent runner and fun to watch. Quick feet but make no mistake about it, He inflicted a lot of pain on defenders.

I don't know that Bettis sought out contact but he certainly didn't fear it. What was so amazing about Bettis was his quick feet for a guy his size. He was outstanding for making that first guy miss .. and then Lord help the second level guys.

Northern_Blitz
05-10-2019, 05:02 PM
I don't know that Bettis sought out contact but he certainly didn't fear it. What was so amazing about Bettis was his quick feet for a guy his size. He was outstanding for making that first guy miss .. and then Lord help the second level guys.

I loved how he described his typical approach. Hammer guys through the first three quarters and then "get skinny" in the 4th and make guys miss.

hawaiiansteel
05-11-2019, 01:38 PM
Steelers Rookie RB Benny Snell Jr. Enters NFL With Strong Short-Yardage College Resume

By Dave Bryan
Posted on May 11, 2019

Are you excited about Pittsburgh Steelers rookie running back Benny Snell Jr.? Itís really hard not to be when you closely examine his college tape and his statistics. While we donít yet know how quickly Snell will be integrated into the Steelers offense and what his role will be once he does start receiving playing time, the Kentucky product and this yearís fourth-round selection might be perfect for short-yardage situations to start with.

Snell enters the NFL as possibly one of the top and most reliable short-yardage running backs to be drafted this year. In fact, and as you can see in the table of stats below, of the running backs drafted this year, Snell had the most third down short-yardage carries (1-3 yards needed) in college with 78. Of those 78 third and short carries, in which 3 or less yards were needed, Snell converted 56 (71.8%) of them with 5 of those successful runs being touchdowns.

Obviously, there are a few other running backs who were drafted this year with better college career 3rd and short yardage conversion rates than Shell registered, but the fact that the Kentucky product had many more opportunities than all of the players listed ahead of him in the table below makes his percentage stick out. Additionally, itís important to keep in mind that Snell registered a good portion of those stats in games against SEC teams.

Once again, the data below is only for 3rd and short carries in which 3 or less yards were needed. However, if we were able to compile other downs in which 3 or less yards were needed, Itís probably safe to assume that Snell converted a large portion of those carries successfully as well.

In case youíre curious, the Steelers running backs registered a combine success rate of 70.6% last season on 3rd and short carries in which 1-3 yards were needed. The one carry that Stevan Ridley registered in that situation last season came in the Steelers loss to the New Orleans Saints and not only did he lose yardage on that fourth quarter play, he also fumbled away the football.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/steelers-rookie-rb-benny-snell-jr-enters-nfl-with-strong-short-yardage-college-resume/

Oh wow
05-11-2019, 02:33 PM

Most RB’s don’t look for contact, I think the violent ones are the RB’s who break tackles while inflicting pain.

I remember an overtime game vs the Cardinals in Arizona where Bettis took a screen pass in for the game winner. DB’s were bouncing off him like cartoon characters.

RuthlessBurgher
05-11-2019, 03:24 PM
I remember an overtime game vs the Cardinals in Arizona where Bettis took a screen pass in for the game winner. DB’s were bouncing off him like cartoon characters.

Or like trying to tackle Bo Jackson in Tecmo Bowl. :)

hawaiiansteel
05-12-2019, 11:04 PM
Benny Snell: Goal-Line Running About ĎHaving The Hard-Nosed Mentalityí

By Matthew Marczi
Posted on May 12, 2019

Truth be told, the Pittsburgh Steelers are not necessarily in the market for a goal-line running back. That is a role that third-year running back James Conner ably filled last season in his first full year as a starter, scoring 13 touchdowns, 10 of which were rushes that came from within five yards of the goal line. The vast majority were within two yards. So he probably knows a little something about finishing plays in tight spaces. He had a high success ratio on short-yardage runs throughout the year.

So, too, did new Steelers running back Benny Snell during his college career as a member of the Kentucky Wildcats. While he tries to embrace every aspect of the game and is willing to tackle any assignment that will be asked of him, he knows that there is a certain mentalityóand a certain joyóto playing at the goal line.

ďItís about having the hard-nosed mentalityĒ, he told reporters about running with the end zone almost in reach. ďWhether itís one, two, three people in your way, you have to have that extra push. That extra drive to get through it no matter what. Then itís about making smart decisions. Sometimes it might not be pretty at first. The hole might not be there. Itís about having vision, being a smart runner. Hitting this crease, making that read. Reading blocks. I feel like itís all togetherĒ.

This is not the first time since being drafted that Snell has talked about wanting to run smart, rather than simply running with a physical style. Thatís a wise decision on his part as he transition to the college level, where it might be easier to simply get by on your size without wearing down, to the pros, where most players heís going up against are going to be his equal from a physical standpoint.

As Dave Bryan already highlighted yesterday, Snell was a very good runner in short-yardage situations entering the NFL, and itís never a bad thing to come into the league with a resume that includes success in situational football.

But with the Steelers, itís going to have to be a process to determine what kind of role he is going to have. Conner on the top of the food chain is going to be a significant obstacle in his way toward playing time, depending on the philosophy Mike Tomlin embraces, which historically has been to rely on one workhorse runner.

Aside from Conner himself, there is second-year Jaylen Samuels, who had success during his rookie season and likely could be targeted as something of a third-down back because of his pass-catching skills that separate him from the rest of the group.

But the Steelers wouldnít have bothered to draft Snell in the fourth round if they didnít think there was a role for him somewhere, at some point. And whenever it comes, you know he is going to bring the enthusiasm.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/benny-snell-goal-line-running-about-having-the-hard-nosed-mentality/

RuthlessBurgher
05-12-2019, 11:33 PM
Benny Snell plays “Benny Snell football”
By Mike Florio | May 12, 2019, 9:58 PM EDT

Steelers rookie running back Benny Snell plays a unique brand of football. He calls it, appropriately enough, “Benny Snell football.”

Via Chris Adamski of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, the former Kentucky tailback used that term on multiple occasions during his rookie minicamp to explain his unique style.

“That’s just Benny Snell football,” Snell said at one point regarding a clock-killing, bowl-game effort that included eight straight carries as the Wildcats held a 27-24 lead against Penn State. “Downhill, running the ball, running the clock out. My team depended on me in that time of need, and I am gonna make it happen. In situations like that, they trusted me. All through the season [and] all three years, that’s what I was known for.”

Apparently, it’s a broad term.

“Benny Snell football is that it could be second-and-3 or like third-and-3. It could be fourth-and-2. It could be third-and-goal, fourth-and-goal,” Snell said. “Or it could be four-minute offense, and you just have to run the clock out just to win the game.”

Snell then went all in with the use of the third person.

“It’s just feeding him, just feeding him, feeding him, let him run it up,” Benny Snell said regarding Benny Snell. “He’s gonna get up. He’s having fun. He might dance a little bit, but he’s gonna run back and he’s gonna do it again, and everybody in the stadium, both teams know what’s happening.”

With James Conner and Jaylen Samuels already on the roster, it’s tempting to believe that the Steelers intend to use multiple tailbacks. After the draft, G.M. Kevin Colbert didn’t rule out one of the three emerging as the guy, based on his performances.

And if, ultimately, the performance the Steelers need is Benny Snell football, they’ve got just the man to do it.

Steel Maniac
05-13-2019, 01:03 AM
Benny Snell: Goal-Line Running About ‘Having The Hard-Nosed Mentality’

By Matthew Marczi
Posted on May 12, 2019

Truth be told, the Pittsburgh Steelers are not necessarily in the market for a goal-line running back. That is a role that third-year running back James Conner ably filled last season in his first full year as a starter, scoring 13 touchdowns, 10 of which were rushes that came from within five yards of the goal line. The vast majority were within two yards. So he probably knows a little something about finishing plays in tight spaces. He had a high success ratio on short-yardage runs throughout the year.

So, too, did new Steelers running back Benny Snell during his college career as a member of the Kentucky Wildcats. While he tries to embrace every aspect of the game and is willing to tackle any assignment that will be asked of him, he knows that there is a certain mentality—and a certain joy—to playing at the goal line.

“It’s about having the hard-nosed mentality”, he told reporters about running with the end zone almost in reach. “Whether it’s one, two, three people in your way, you have to have that extra push. That extra drive to get through it no matter what. Then it’s about making smart decisions. Sometimes it might not be pretty at first. The hole might not be there. It’s about having vision, being a smart runner. Hitting this crease, making that read. Reading blocks. I feel like it’s all together”.

This is not the first time since being drafted that Snell has talked about wanting to run smart, rather than simply running with a physical style. That’s a wise decision on his part as he transition to the college level, where it might be easier to simply get by on your size without wearing down, to the pros, where most players he’s going up against are going to be his equal from a physical standpoint.

As Dave Bryan already highlighted yesterday, Snell was a very good runner in short-yardage situations entering the NFL, and it’s never a bad thing to come into the league with a resume that includes success in situational football.

But with the Steelers, it’s going to have to be a process to determine what kind of role he is going to have. Conner on the top of the food chain is going to be a significant obstacle in his way toward playing time, depending on the philosophy Mike Tomlin embraces, which historically has been to rely on one workhorse runner.

Aside from Conner himself, there is second-year Jaylen Samuels, who had success during his rookie season and likely could be targeted as something of a third-down back because of his pass-catching skills that separate him from the rest of the group.

But the Steelers wouldn’t have bothered to draft Snell in the fourth round if they didn’t think there was a role for him somewhere, at some point. And whenever it comes, you know he is going to bring the enthusiasm.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/benny-snell-goal-line-running-about-having-the-hard-nosed-mentality/

Taking Tomlin’s history into account , there is a strong possibility that Snell only gets run if Conner gets hurt. I hope that isn’t the case but we’ll see. One of the many mysteries of the up coming season.

Northern_Blitz
05-13-2019, 12:00 PM
Taking Tomlin’s history into account , there is a strong possibility that Snell only gets run if Conner gets hurt. I hope that isn’t the case but we’ll see. One of the many mysteries of the up coming season.

Yep. We tend to run our #1 RBs a lot even when we have other options.

I think how we handled Blount was Tomlin's biggest mistake as a coach.

This year is different, but mostly because we don't have anyone with a super strong track record.

Conner was better than I expected last year and deserves the 1RB role. But Peyton Hillis was on the cover of madden once too. I don't expect that to happen to Con er, but you never know in the NFL.

I how we get all three guys involved to some extent. It will reduce Conners chances of getting hurt again and hopefully help develop. The other guys.

RuthlessBurgher
05-13-2019, 12:23 PM
Yep. We tend to run our #1 RBs a lot even when we have other options.

I think how we handled Blount was Tomlin's biggest mistake as a coach.

This year is different, but mostly because we don't have anyone with a super strong track record.

Conner was better than I expected last year and deserves the 1RB role. But Peyton Hillis was on the cover of madden once too. I don't expect that to happen to Con er, but you never know in the NFL.

I how we get all three guys involved to some extent. It will reduce Conners chances of getting hurt again and hopefully help develop. The other guys.

In the past, our bellcow RB seemed to be on the field for nearly 90% of the offensive snaps (I have no idea what this actual number is; that's just what it seemed like to me).

Hopefully, this year, we could decrease that to maybe just 60% or so of the offensive snaps for Conner. He has shown that he is able to handle all aspects of the job on both rushing downs and passing downs. But it's smart to give him a breather to keep him fresh and healthy as long as we have other options available to perform with little to no drop off in ability.

If we want to give Conner every third series or so off (or just occasional plays here and there), we could use Snell on early running downs and short yardage situations to take advantage of his strengths and then Samuels on passing downs to take advantage of his strengths.

I'd also consider using Samuels on the field at the same time as Conner in more of an h-back, quasi-TE role (somewhat of a pass-catching FB role like we had with John L. Williams once upon a time), and then also using Nix as our run-blocking FB in combination with Conner or Snell in short-yardage or goal-line situations.

RuthlessBurgher
05-14-2019, 11:28 AM
Benny Snell Jr. and Diontae Johnson are ready for ‘Part II’ with the Pittsburgh Steelers

The NFL can work in weird ways, and these two Scouting Combine roommates are ready to make their mark with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

By Jeff Hartman
May 14, 2019, 7:52am EDT

The NFL can work in mysterious ways sometimes. Maybe it is bringing two college teammates together again at the professional level, or maybe two rivals who become tight as members of their newest team.

For two of the Pittsburgh Steelers 2019 NFL Draft class, they will get a chance to spend some more time together after rooming together at the 2019 NFL Scouting Combine.

Diontae Johnson and Benny Snell Jr. both have the same agent, and were roommates both before and during the combine. When you think of the number of players attending the combine, and two who were selected by the Steelers stayed together during the event, it truly is remarkable.

Either way, the two offensive players got to spend some time together, and Johnson made a mark on Snell.

“Diontae is amazing, he’s a cool guy, cool dude, got some hands, and I’m excited that we get Part II,” Snell told Teresa Varley of Steelers.com. “When he got drafted and I got drafted, I am like, ‘Part II, better get ready.’”

With the Steelers rookies just wrapping up their Rookie Minicamp, all everyone wants to talk about is which, if any, of the 2019 draft class will be able to have an impact on the 2019 team? This pair of roommates very well could have an impact in a big way, Snell at running back and Johnson at receiver.

For Snell, the running back depth chart looks as if he could see his share of action behind James Conner and Jaylen Samuels, and Johnson’s versatility could see him not just as a return man, but also depth both in the slot and out wide in the Steelers’ offense.

But when you wonder what Snell’s ‘Part II’ might be, it is likely a continuation of the friendship which started in Indianapolis, and putting their names on the long list of offensive playmakers who have worn the black-and-gold.

Will this sequel be a hit, or a bust? Are Snell and Johnson the next round of quality draft picks/players to be selected in the Mike Tomlin/Kevin Colbert era? Or are we being too quick to jump on the bandwagon?

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/5/14/18618068/benny-snell-jr-and-diontae-johnson-are-ready-for-part-ii-with-the-pittsburgh-steelers-2019-nfl-draft

hawaiiansteel
05-20-2019, 01:56 AM
https://static.clubs.nfl.com/image/private/t_photo_album/f_auto/steelers/ciksbvbdzalytqdhb84i.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
05-20-2019, 10:15 AM
https://static.clubs.nfl.com/image/private/t_photo_album/f_auto/steelers/ciksbvbdzalytqdhb84i.jpg

Is James Conner on the Average Joe's Gym team or the Globo Gym Purple Cobras?

RuthlessBurgher
05-20-2019, 11:10 AM
Benny Snell Jr. could have an impact year for the Steelers, but he probably won’t

It might appear rookie running back Benny Snell Jr. would have a great chance to make an impact in his rookie season. But the Steelers have a clear number one running back in James Conner. They also appear to have an established backup in second-year man Jaylen Samuels.

By Anthony Defeo
May 16, 2019, 10:20am EDT

When you examine the Steelers rookies who likely could come in and make an immediate impact, running back Benny Snell Jr. is at the top of the list, behind only Devin Bush, of course.

Think about it. Which position lends itself to first-year success better than running back? Just give the kid the football and tell him to look for the first hole he sees and burst through that sucker. And if there is no hole, just tell him to use his instincts and ad lib, improvise or simply punish someone. Sure, a rookie running back must be on the details with regards to picking up the blitz (something he may never have had to do in college) or catching the football out of the backfield (see picking up the blitz), but when it comes to the main part of his job, a first-year running back typically doesn’t have to step too far out of his comfort zone.

When that rookie running back steps into a situation such as Snell’s, complete with an offensive line that’s highly-decorated and highly-regarded around the National Football League, it just feels like an exciting way to kick off your professional football career. For a back like Snell, who had 3,873 rushing yards and 48 touchdowns in three seasons at Kentucky, it seems like the perfect situation, a situation that could lead to an Offensive Rookie of the Year-type season.

Unfortunately, it’s really hard to envision Snell getting much of a chance to show off his talents in 2019.

I realize Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert has recently made statements to ProFootballTalk’s Mike Florio implying the team might change its “Run him until the wheels fall off” philosophy:

“I really think that depends on who that player is. When we drafted Le’Veon, we certainly didn’t have that idea that he would be the featured guy. He forced that with his great play and he was that good, he was durable and he wanted to be on the field. James does too, but you also have to understand if you have two or three guys that can maybe get the same production then let’s make sure we’re covered and have the proper depth.”

I don’t want to call Kevin a liar, but maybe his memory is a bit fuzzy. If you recall how the team handled Le’Veon Bell the moment he was drafted in the second round out of Michigan State in 2013, it was clear he was going to be the guy. Bell came into a situation where there wasn’t another running back on the roster who even approached his abilities.

It’s different in 2019.

Snell is coming into a situation where there is not only a clear-cut number one running back, that clear-cut number one running back may also have an established backup.

The number one running back is obviously third-year man James Conner, who had a breakout year in 2018 to the tune of 1,470 yards from scrimmage—including 973 on the ground and 497 through the air. Conner touched the football a total of 270 times in his sophomore season—215 carries and 55 receptions.

Conner not only had a Pro Bowl year in 2018, he was well-on his way to approaching 2,000 yards from scrimmage before late-season injuries limited his effectiveness, as well as his playing time, as he missed a total of three games down the stretch.

In Conner’s place was Jaylen Samuels, a rookie running back who started three games in December. Samuels wasn’t necessarily a workhorse as a starter—he had a total of 41 carries in those three games—but he did post a whopping 142 rushing yards on 19 carries in a 17-10 victory over the Patriots on December 16.

Samuels also showed himself to be quite adept at catching the football out of the backfield—a skill-set that he was known for coming out of college—as he tallied 26 receptions for 199 yards.

Back to Conner.

Did his play in 2018 prove that he deserves to be the number one running back? Absolutely. Yes, he suffered some injuries, but most running backs do. The question is, if Conner is indeed the team’s number one back, but the powers that be may have had a change of heart regarding running back usage, how much are they willing to reduce Conner’s work-load in 2019? Thirty percent? Much more than that, now you’re dealing with a running back by committee approach, something the Steelers have always seemed allergic to. If Conner’s work-load is reduced by 30 percent, which backup gets the bulk of that 30 percent? Based on last season, it would seem Samuels would get it, especially when you consider his aforementioned aptitude for being a receiving threat.

This isn’t to say Snell couldn’t beat out Samuels for the backup role. But you have to remember Samuels will also be benefiting from the same highly-regarded offensive line as his rookie colleague.

Maybe Snell, with his downhill style, can be the short-yardage and goal line back. Yes, but what do you tell Conner, especially when the offense is nearing the goal line? After all, Conner had 12 rushing touchdowns last year, and a great deal of them were of the goal line variety.

Obviously, injuries may play a factor in how Snell is used during his rookie season, but that would be rather unfortunate for Conner and/or Samuels. If that were to happen, I think Snell will do a fine job as a fill-in. Heck, he might even create a running back controversy.

But, beyond that scenario (a scenario that, as I alluded to, wouldn’t be ideal), it’s hard to envision Benny Snell Jr. making a huge impact in his rookie season.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/5/16/18624523/benny-snell-jr-could-have-an-impact-year-for-the-steelers-but-he-probably-wont-james-conner-nfl

Oh wow
05-20-2019, 11:29 AM
I think Snell is insurance this year. Unless he shows us something special I don’t see him getting more than a series or 2 unless Conner gets hurt which is likely given his style.

Shawn
05-20-2019, 08:20 PM
I think Snell is insurance this year. Unless he shows us something special I don’t see him getting more than a series or 2 unless Conner gets hurt which is likely given his style. Conner will get injured at some point, and Snell will get his shot. That's when it will get very interesting.

Steel Maniac
05-21-2019, 10:28 AM
Conner will get injured at some point, and Snell will get his shot. That's when it will get very interesting.

I don't know Shawn; Conner will be a wiser runner this year and along with the offense tailoring things to his strengths oppose to Bell's strengths now that Bell is really out the picture. Plus another year he's going to get stronger too from the Cancer issue.

Oh wow
05-21-2019, 12:33 PM
Cancer and Bell have nothing to do with Conner’s injuries.

He is a physical runner.

RuthlessBurgher
05-21-2019, 12:44 PM
Attempting to predict whether or not someone might have an injury in the future is a pointless exercise.

But it appears that the team has prepared itself with talented, young depth as insurance at the RB position if it does happen.

Shawn
05-21-2019, 02:56 PM
Attempting to predict whether or not someone might have an injury in the future is a pointless exercise.

But it appears that the team has prepared itself with talented, young depth as insurance at the RB position if it does happen.
It’s a near mathematical certainty, and an observation. And yes, the Steelers have drafted a solid insurance policy.

Shawn
05-21-2019, 03:03 PM
I don't know Shawn; Conner will be a wiser runner this year and along with the offense tailoring things to his strengths oppose to Bell's strengths now that Bell is really out the picture. Plus another year he's going to get stronger too from the Cancer issue. you may very well be correct and I hope you are right. But I do believe if Conner goes down Snell will play very well. Their measurables are nearly the same. Both are similar backs. With that said, Snell is a more natural runner, with better vision and patience. I’m excited to see what he can do.

hawaiiansteel
05-21-2019, 03:31 PM
you may very well be correct and I hope you are right. But I do believe if Conner goes down Snell will play very well. Their measurables are nearly the same. Both are similar backs. With that said, Snell is a more natural runner, with better vision and patience. I’m excited to see what he can do.

Benny Snell just wants Benny Snell to play Benny Snell football.

Steel Maniac
05-21-2019, 04:46 PM
you may very well be correct and I hope you are right. But I do believe if Conner goes down Snell will play very well. Their measurables are nearly the same. Both are similar backs. With that said, Snell is a more natural runner, with better vision and patience. I’m excited to see what he can do.

I don't subscribe to injury but if it happens, we have plenty of depth now to still productive running the ball.

RuthlessBurgher
05-24-2019, 06:48 PM
Steelers have practiced using James Conner, Jaylen Samuels in backfield together
By Mike Florio | May 24, 2019, 4:32 PM EDT

As they try to replace Le'Veon Bell, the Steelers will be using multiple running backs. They may be using multiple running backs at the same time.

Via Sarah K. Spencer of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the Steelers practiced this week with both James Conner (pictured) and Jaylen Samuels in the backfield at the same time.

“We did a little bit of it [last season], but we didn’t really run it in a game, so I guess this year we’re going to try and put that a little more in the offense,” Samuels said, via Spencer. “I think that could be kind of special with me and [Conner] in the backfield. Me and him in the game, period. We’re just building on from that right now. . . . He’s more of a runner and a catcher, as well, but I can get outside and run routes, as well. To have that dual threat with me and him in the game, it could be really scary for defenses.”

Conner, who emerged last year as a potent offensive weapon during Bell’s full-season holdout, looks forward to being on the field with Samuels.

“It’s something we’ve had in for a little while, but I think we’re going to use it a little more this year, and I’m excited about it because we’re both really talented,” Conner said. “So it kind of puts the defense in a mix of who they really want to pay attention to because he’s shown what he can do.”

Samuels exploded onto the scene in a Week 15 win over the Patriots. With Conner out due to injury, Samuels rushed for 142 yards on 19 carries, adding 30 more yards on two catches.

The Steelers also have added rookie Benny Snell to the mix, a battering ram who has extolled the virtues of “Benny Snell football.” G.M. Kevin Colbert has indicated that, despite having three viable options at tailback, any of them could potentially become the new workhorse, depending on performance

hawaiiansteel
05-30-2019, 05:23 PM
Benny Snell shows off his moves during Steelers' OTAs

By BRYAN DEARDO

Benny Snell made it look easy during a recent drill pitting himself against a Steelers' defensive back.

Snell, Pittsburgh's fourth round pick in this year's draft, made a breathtaking cut that earned praise from head coach Mike Tomlin. The Steelers are in the middle of Phase 3 of their voluntary offseason workout program.

The University of Kentucky's all-time leading rusher, the 5'11, 223-pound back rushed for 3,873 yards and 48 touchdowns while averaging 5.3 yards per carry during his time with the Wildcats. He saved one of his best college performances for last, rushing for 144 yards and two scores on 26 carries to help lift his Kentucky Wildcats to a 27-24 victory over Penn State in the 2019 Citrus Bowl. Snell won offensive MVP honors for his performance.

"I felt like I was made to be a Steeler," Snell said. "It was just right. It feels right. This is my type of football and the fit was just perfect. I feel that I've been in a lot of situations, and the NFL is completely different, but I feel like I've had pressure on my shoulders on so many occasions that I became successful at the end of the game. Or I was able to get those tough yards, get the touchdown if needed, so I feel like whatever situation I'm put in, I'm going to try to give my best so we can have the best outcome."

What does Snell expect to bring to Pittsburgh's offense in 2019?

"I try not to let one guy tackle me so running people over and getting those tough yards is just kind of natural to me," Snell said. "With me being the size that I am, I feel like I'm pretty stout as a pass blocker. Things are pretty different in the NFL so I'm going to have to adjust to that."

Eddie Faulkner, who is entering his first year as Pittsburgh's running backs coach, discussed the selection of Snell shortly after the Steelers made him their fourth round pick.

"I think Benny provides a lot of depth," Faulkner said. "He's just a good football player. In my experience, when you have a roster of good football players, and guys who come everyday and put it to work, I mean he's going to bring that to the equation. When you have that passion of love for football, they're going to be willing to contribute in whatever capacity that they can. Not just in the running back room, but with Danny Smith, in special teams, and things in that nature. Again, very excited in what he brings, and we added another great football player to the roster."

Mark Stoops, Snell's head coach at Kentucky, believes that Snell's underdog mentality will continue to serve him well at the next level.

"Benny is going to be successful because that is just the way he is wired and he is going to work really hard," Stoops said in the week leading up to the draft. "That is a great mentality to have because those yards are tough to come by in the SEC -- and look at the success he has had -- and they are hard to come by in the NFL. You need a player like that."

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Article/Benny-Snell-shows-off-his-moves-during-Steelers-OTAs-132443726/

Shawn
05-30-2019, 05:52 PM
The Benny Snell era has begun. Iím excited.

Oh wow
05-30-2019, 07:29 PM
The Benny Snell era has begun. I’m excited.

Can’t wait to see this kid play.

hawaiiansteel
06-02-2019, 08:21 PM
Steelers RB James Conner Ďcanít waití to see Benny Snell in pads

by Tommy Jaggi

Pittsburgh Steelers Pro Bowl running back, James Conner, Ďcanít waití to see Benny Snell Jr. in pads.

Steelers running back, James Conner, is (by most accounts) one of the most likable players in all of football. After missing nearly all of the 2015 college football football season with cancer treatments, Conner made an amazing recovery in 2016.

James Conner first bounced back by with a 1,000 yard, 20 touchdown season at Pitt in his senior year. He quickly transitioned to be a successful running back of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Now three years cancer-free, James Conner continues to be the lovable, hometown player we knew when Pittsburgh drafted him at the end of the 3rd round in 2017.

The Pro Bowl running back recently shared his thoughts on fellow competitor Benny Snell Jr. Conner reportedly had this to say about the former Kentucky running back:

Despite the Steelers coaching staff admitting that there will be competition at the running back position, Conner had no issues praising his rookie teammate.

Conner and Snell share obvious similarities in terms of their size, power, and play style. Both backs possess great contact balance, and thrive carrying the load and working between the tackles.

I donít recall former Steelers running back, LeíVeon Bell, having a lot of positive things to say about Conner in their two years spent together in the same organization. However, in just the second week of OTAs, Conner is praising a running back who would like to take his job.

James Conner knows the value of teamwork and how important it is to have every member working to make each other better. If every player on the Steelers had this Ďwinners mentality,í Pittsburgh would be a lot better for it.

https://stillcurtain.com/2019/06/02/steelers-james-conner-benny-snell/

NorthCoast
06-03-2019, 01:02 PM
Steelers have practiced using James Conner, Jaylen Samuels in backfield together
By Mike Florio | May 24, 2019, 4:32 PM EDT

As they try to replace Le'Veon Bell, the Steelers will be using multiple running backs. They may be using multiple running backs at the same time.

Via Sarah K. Spencer of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the Steelers practiced this week with both James Conner (pictured) and Jaylen Samuels in the backfield at the same time.

“We did a little bit of it [last season], but we didn’t really run it in a game, so I guess this year we’re going to try and put that a little more in the offense,” Samuels said, via Spencer. “I think that could be kind of special with me and [Conner] in the backfield. Me and him in the game, period. We’re just building on from that right now. . . . He’s more of a runner and a catcher, as well, but I can get outside and run routes, as well. To have that dual threat with me and him in the game, it could be really scary for defenses.”

Conner, who emerged last year as a potent offensive weapon during Bell’s full-season holdout, looks forward to being on the field with Samuels.

“It’s something we’ve had in for a little while, but I think we’re going to use it a little more this year, and I’m excited about it because we’re both really talented,” Conner said. “So it kind of puts the defense in a mix of who they really want to pay attention to because he’s shown what he can do.”

Samuels exploded onto the scene in a Week 15 win over the Patriots. With Conner out due to injury, Samuels rushed for 142 yards on 19 carries, adding 30 more yards on two catches.

The Steelers also have added rookie Benny Snell to the mix, a battering ram who has extolled the virtues of “Benny Snell football.” G.M. Kevin Colbert has indicated that, despite having three viable options at tailback, any of them could potentially become the new workhorse, depending on performance

Someone needs to # Florio that the Steelers have replaced Bell, and quite nicely.

RuthlessBurgher
06-06-2019, 11:08 AM
Wednesday, Jun 05, 2019 04:35 PM

Snell a bundle of energy

Teresa Varley

Steelers.com

When Benny Snell is on the football field, you can feel the energy he brings to the offense.

When he talks, Snell brings that same energy, enthusiasm, and his love for the game can’t be hidden.

“I enjoy every minute,” said Snell, who put that enthusiasm on display during the team's media day on Wednesday. “I am a sponge to everyone. Every coach, every player, every veteran. I take things from them and take it to the field.”

�� This is @benny_snell football. �� pic.twitter.com/SkPCIeRZGO
— Teresa Varley (@Teresa_Varley) June 5, 2019

Snell said he welcomes all of the feedback, whether it be from his fellow running backs James Conner and Jaylen Samuels, or from someone on the other side of the ball.

“After a certain play others besides James and Jaylen will say something. I have linebackers and defensive backs correcting me,” said Snell. “It’s like a brotherhood. Like it was in Kentucky. I felt comfortable there and I feel comfortable here.”

Snell admitted he didn’t know what to expect coming in, if he would get that kind of support or if the intense competition that comes with fighting for a roster spot would keep guys from being so helpful.

“It is surprising,” said Snell. “You would think some guys would want to just handle their business and be isolated. I know from personal experience, coming from a program that wasn’t much to something that is big, that is how you make it far and take it places when everybody is on the same page, wants to get better. Everyone is helpful. It’s a great team environment. A great feeling.”

One of the biggest adjustments for Snell is learning a new system and while the physical side takes some getting accustomed to, it’s the mental side that really has him on his toes.

“It’s really the mental side,” said Snell. “From where I came from it was all signals. This is like you huddle up, call the plays and let’s go. It just takes learning.

“You just have to be able to go at your own pace, but learn and get better every day or people will pass you by. It’s about learning from every experience.”

At this point it’s way too soon to know what Snell’s role is going to be with just a week of OTAs in the books. But whatever is asked, you can be sure he will enthusiastically attack it.

“Wherever coach wants me, wherever he wants to put his trust in me,” said Snell. “I will block, run, catch. Whatever they ask. I want to see the field as soon as possible.”

Having fun: Steelers players spent the last two days smiling for the camera...and growling too...as a part of the team's media days. it was the first look at some of the newcomers in the black and gold.

Lookin' good @_Dbush11‼️ pic.twitter.com/JIUak46k4j
— Pittsburgh Steelers (@steelers) June 5, 2019

Monster Boys���� @JamesConner_ pic.twitter.com/pCcUMF26UY
— Donte Moncrief (@drm_12) June 5, 2019

SteelerNation this year will be one to remember ‼️#TeamGray pic.twitter.com/EI8jU59iYg
— Derwin Gray (@Teamgrayy) June 5, 2019

https://www.steelers.com/news/snell-a-bundle-of-energy

Steel Maniac
06-06-2019, 11:37 AM
Someone needs to # Florio that the Steelers have replaced Bell, and quite nicely.

North, some just can't let it go. LOL

Iron City Inc.
06-06-2019, 02:14 PM
Wednesday, Jun 05, 2019 04:35 PM

Snell a bundle of energy

Teresa Varley

Steelers.com

When Benny Snell is on the football field, you can feel the energy he brings to the offense.

When he talks, Snell brings that same energy, enthusiasm, and his love for the game can’t be hidden.

“I enjoy every minute,” said Snell, who put that enthusiasm on display during the team's media day on Wednesday. “I am a sponge to everyone. Every coach, every player, every veteran. I take things from them and take it to the field.”

�� This is @benny_snell football. �� pic.twitter.com/SkPCIeRZGO
— Teresa Varley (@Teresa_Varley) June 5, 2019

Snell said he welcomes all of the feedback, whether it be from his fellow running backs James Conner and Jaylen Samuels, or from someone on the other side of the ball.

“After a certain play others besides James and Jaylen will say something. I have linebackers and defensive backs correcting me,” said Snell. “It’s like a brotherhood. Like it was in Kentucky. I felt comfortable there and I feel comfortable here.”

Snell admitted he didn’t know what to expect coming in, if he would get that kind of support or if the intense competition that comes with fighting for a roster spot would keep guys from being so helpful.

“It is surprising,” said Snell. “You would think some guys would want to just handle their business and be isolated. I know from personal experience, coming from a program that wasn’t much to something that is big, that is how you make it far and take it places when everybody is on the same page, wants to get better. Everyone is helpful. It’s a great team environment. A great feeling.”

One of the biggest adjustments for Snell is learning a new system and while the physical side takes some getting accustomed to, it’s the mental side that really has him on his toes.

“It’s really the mental side,” said Snell. “From where I came from it was all signals. This is like you huddle up, call the plays and let’s go. It just takes learning.

“You just have to be able to go at your own pace, but learn and get better every day or people will pass you by. It’s about learning from every experience.”

At this point it’s way too soon to know what Snell’s role is going to be with just a week of OTAs in the books. But whatever is asked, you can be sure he will enthusiastically attack it.

“Wherever coach wants me, wherever he wants to put his trust in me,” said Snell. “I will block, run, catch. Whatever they ask. I want to see the field as soon as possible.”

Having fun: Steelers players spent the last two days smiling for the camera...and growling too...as a part of the team's media days. it was the first look at some of the newcomers in the black and gold.

Lookin' good @_Dbush11‼️ pic.twitter.com/JIUak46k4j
— Pittsburgh Steelers (@steelers) June 5, 2019

Monster Boys���� @JamesConner_ pic.twitter.com/pCcUMF26UY
— Donte Moncrief (@drm_12) June 5, 2019

SteelerNation this year will be one to remember ‼️#TeamGray pic.twitter.com/EI8jU59iYg
— Derwin Gray (@Teamgrayy) June 5, 2019

https://www.steelers.com/news/snell-a-bundle-of-energy

Ruthless IDK who this writer is but if she can "feel the energy" from a walk through in shorts I hope she's not at Latrobe when the pads go on or we'll likely need rescue to get her out of there n one piece at the end of the day.!

RuthlessBurgher
06-06-2019, 02:30 PM
Ruthless IDK who this writer is but if she can "feel the energy" from a walk through in shorts I hope she's not at Latrobe when the pads go on or we'll likely need rescue to get her out of there n one piece at the end of the day.!

Who knows...Benny could be one of those guys (like Juju, for instance) who seems to bring out positive energetic vibes from others wherever he seems to go.

Iron City Inc.
06-06-2019, 02:38 PM
Who knows...Benny could be one of those guys (like Juju, for instance) who seems to bring out positive energetic vibes from others wherever he seems to go.

I get it. I just want to see some things on the field first before I get excited. We needed another back n Snell resume is solid I'm good with him.

hawaiiansteel
06-09-2019, 12:02 AM
Benny Snell Jr. to prove to the Steelers he is more than just a power running back

When the Pittsburgh Steelers drafted Benny Snell Jr., they knew they got a pure power running back. Snell is out to prove he can do more than just power running.

By Jeff.Hartman@BnGBlitz Jun 8, 2019

With LeíVeon Bell now a member of the New York Jets, the Pittsburgh Steelers running backs all have their own areas where they excel. James Conner, probably the most complete of the Steelers running backs, is best suited for a one-cut downhill style of running attack. In contrast, Jaylen Samuels proved last year he might lead the group in versatility. With the ability to run routes and catch passes out of the backfield, Samuels is a matchup nightmare for the opposition.

Then there is rookie Benny Snell Jr.

Snell Jr. was labeled as a bruising power runner coming out of Kentucky, but after rookie minicamp and Organized Team Activities (OTAs) Snell is out to prove he is more than just a power running back, but an all-around talent to help round out the stable of backs.

ďI can block, run, catch; whatever they say, Iíll be happy to do,Ē Snell told Chris Adamski of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review after an OTA session. ďI want to see the field as soon as possible.Ē

Maybe Snell is following the path of some of the other rookies in how they are taking a Ďthe more you can doí approach to not just making the 53-man roster, but to seeing the field sooner, rather than later.

Snell, who stands 5-feet 10-inches tall and weighs roughly 245 lbs., set school records running the football, but didnít do the same catching the ball out of the backfield. In his final year at Kentucky, Snell caught 17 passes for 105 yards. Over this three years in college Snell registered just 29 receptions for a whopping 216 yards and no touchdowns.

Not that this part of his game isnít strong, maybe just not showcased while in Kentucky, but if Snell wants to see the field as a rookie he will need to show he is capable of pass blocking, catching the ball as well as running the ball effectively at the professional level. Even Snell knows how the game changes from the college level to the NFL, he has seen it already in offseason workouts.

ďThe game is really fast,Ē Snell said. ďItís like, you just got to be able to go at your own pace but you have to be able to learn and get better everyday ó because if you donít get better every day, everyone will pass you by. So, itís really about always learning from each experience.Ē

For Snell, and the rest of the rookies, the next step in the process is mandatory minicamp on June 11-13, but it is what follows which is the true test. Training Camp. When the pads go on and the cans and cannots are deciphered in front of coaches and fans alike.

I have a feeling Benny Snell Jr. canít wait for those hot days at Saint Vincent College to prove himself.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/6/8/18657874/benny-snell-jr-to-prove-to-the-steelers-he-is-more-than-just-a-power-running-back-james-conner

Steel Maniac
06-09-2019, 10:17 PM
I can’t wait to see what skills he brings.

Shawn
06-10-2019, 07:38 AM
I canít wait to see what skills he brings. I have one of my feelings about this young man. And Iím seeing a trend upward when it comes to positivity and character. The locker room should have a very different vibe this season. I have very little worries about the Steelers O this season. The D should be much better though I worry about depth.

Steel Maniac
06-10-2019, 09:11 AM
I have one of my feelings about this young man. And I’m seeing a trend upward when it comes to positivity and character. The locker room should have a very different vibe this season. I have very little worries about the Steelers O this season. The D should be much better though I worry about depth.

I’m with you Shawn; I’m really not worried about the offensive side of things. My focus is the back 7 on defense.

SteelerOfDeVille
06-10-2019, 12:26 PM
I have one of my feelings about this young man. And I’m seeing a trend upward when it comes to positivity and character. The locker room should have a very different vibe this season. I have very little worries about the Steelers O this season. The D should be much better though I worry about depth.
dude you shoulda asked me... i coulda told ya months ago... LOL
easily my favorite selection in this draft....

Iron City Inc.
06-10-2019, 01:05 PM
I'm glad we drafted him. He's going to play some special teams for us this year and should help us there. The keys though for this rookie will be 1. don't put the ball on the ground 2. catching the swing, fans, flairs n wheels out of the backfield 3. most important of all, he must be able to pass block.

We needed another back in the rotation and he'll get his reps at camp n pre-season. How fast he perfects a well rounded game will determine how many reps he gets this year.

hawaiiansteel
06-28-2019, 09:07 PM
Eddie Faulkner Feels Benny Snell ĎCan Do It Allí

By Matthew Marczi
Posted on June 28, 2019

Something that I talked about earlier today in my stock watch update for offensive lineman B.J. Finney is the fact that having enough talent to be deserving of a starting role, or of playing time, is not always sufficient. Ability without opportunity means nothing is a quotation ascribed to Napoleon, and in many ways heís quite right, including in the world of football.

Thatís where the idea of a Ďstarter in waitingí comes from. Thatís the basis of Ďthe standard is the standardí. Everybody, at least in theory, is expected to be able to play at a starterís level. Itís just a matter of having the opportunity to start.

And that is what rookie running back Benny Snell, Jr., who was a workhorse back for the Kentucky Wildcats over the last three years, will be facing during his first NFL seasonóin spite of the fact that his position coach, Eddie Faulkner, believes that ďhe can do it allĒ, as he told Joe Rutter of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

ďAs far as the physical attributes, he can catch, he can run, he can blockĒ, Faulkner, who is also in his first season both with the Steelers and at the NFL level, added of Snell. ďHe cares about it. Heís smart, and heís going to be a good player. Weíre going to continue to develop him and see where it goesĒ.

Seeing where it goes is the crux of the matter, as the fourth-round draft pick is coming in behind a Pro Bowler in running back James Conner. In 13 games, Conner rushed for nearly 1000 yards at 4.5 yards per carry, adding nearly another 500 yards in receptions, with 13 total touchdowns.

And thatís not to mention Jaylen Samuels, whom Faulkner himself coached at the college level. Samuels made a major transition into a true running back last season on the fly, and was able to put up good numbers both as a runner and a receiver, including a 100-yard rushing game and three receiving touchdowns.

Where will Snell fit in? Wherever he can, whenever he can. The first step is earning the confidence and trust of your peers and coaches. ďItís just a matter of him learning what to do and that he trusts himself and we trust him, and his teammates trust him out there on the football field to executeĒ, Faulkner said.

Thatís a process that almost every rookie goes through. Conner wasnít much trusted during his rookie season in 2017 behind LeíVeon Bell. Samuels only started working his way up from the number three back when Stevan Ridley struggled ahead of him.

But if, as Faulkner says, Snell can really do it allóhe didnít do much pass-catching at all at Kentuckyóthe Steelers could try to find a way to get him involved. Itís not a guaranteeójust ask LeGarrette Blount or DeAngelo Williams whenever Bell was healthyóbut itís the only way.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/eddie-faulkner-feels-benny-snell-can-do-it-all/

hawaiiansteel
08-03-2019, 01:16 AM
Zach Metkler
@GZSports_ZM

Rookie matchup in backs-on-backers between Benny Snell and Devin Bush. First rep, Bush steamrolled Snell in the backfield. Second rep, Snell put Bush into the dirt.

Two guys working to get better.#Steelers

2 Aug 2019

https://twitter.com/GZSports_ZM/status/1157442078412087302?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1157442078412087302&amp;ref_url =http%3A%2F%2Fwww.steelersuniverse.com%2Fforums%2F showthread.php%2F30733-2019-Offseason-Questions-How-Much-%25E2%2580%2598Benny-Snell-Football%25E2%2580%2599-Will-We-Get-This-Year