PDA

View Full Version : These Picks Are Growing on Me

flippy
04-27-2019, 09:20 AM
To be completely honest, none of the picks got me that excited when we made each of them.

Trading 2 premium picks to go ILB in the top 10? That was a shocker. Not the player, but the overall strategy.

Then using the 2nd pick in round 3 on a guy that was a complete unknown at a position that was surprising to me with measurables that were "meh" and made me wonder did we panic again and reach like we often do on a guy that sounds like he might not be worth drafting.

And then with another CB, man, my gut just says if we pick him he's a bust because we cannot eval DBs for the life of our team.

But as I've taken a deeper look at these guys, I'm liking this draft a lot more than my initial reaction.

Re: Bush, I'm falling in love with the player. It's hard to find a negative in his game. He's a bit small. I really think that's it. You put him in a slightly bigger body and people would be talking about him as one of the best players in the draft period. I've done a 180 in my thinking and am on board with Bush transcends the position he plays and was worth a top 10 pick. The more you watch him, the more you will realize he's a hitter. He plays with a bit of an edge and looks all in effort on every play. And there's some interviews that he does where he's no nonsense and just tells me he's special. Someone was asking him about living up to the pressure of being the 3rd guy Colbert traded up for when 1 player's a HOFer (Troy) and the other was a SuperBowl MVP (Santonio) and without even thinking, Bush says he wants to be both. I had a dream last night that Shazier returned to play along side Bush and our D went into another stratosphere.

Re: our second pick, I'm coming around there too. I'm going to defer to the Steelers on picking WRs and this is an area where I trust Coach T's gut. This was Tomlin's guy and watching him play, he does have a quickness that jumps out. And it's not just cause he's playing against subpar talent. His start is fast and he's fluid in his change of direction. And he has really good hands. For a little guy, his combine numbers seemed slow, so I went back and watched him and I'm not sure he trained to run a 40 in shorts. Sometimes you can watch a 40 and see a guy that's easy fast. Some I watched this year that stood out as faster guys than their 40 time were guys like Mecole and McLaurin. But I now think the same of Johnson. He started slow bent over and coming out of the blocks, but then went into a smooth speed when he was standing and out of his start. Definitely plays a lot faster and got me thinking the 40s should be measured from a standing start like a WR would start lined up in a game. I'd say most 40 numbers are BS and I think if you watch enough you can see slow timed guys that are fast and vice versa as well as some fast timed guys being blazing fast or some slow guys being really slow. Whatever, Johnson is quick. His athleticism jumps off the screen in his games. And I see a guy if he's bigger and comes from a top school, people would be drooling over. I was caught as surprised and doubtful simply because I didn't watch him or really know who he was. But I'm sold on our 1st 2 picks will pan out. But don't sleep on Switzer. I think Johnson might push Switz into another gear and I think he might surprise some of us.

And then finally Layne is the one I'm most unsure about, but I'll be hopeful. In retrospect, this isn't the kind of player the Steelers would typically go after as a CB. And that's where I'm going to hang my hat. They are looking for an anti Steeler DB here. I go back and watch some games with Layne and I feel like he's a bit awkward at times in a baby giraffe or Plaxico Burress/Martavis Bryant kind of way. But the more I watch, the more I realize he's a CB that's aware of the ball in the air. And he's got these crazy long arms. And he seems a little more physical. There's some effort and upside, but he needs some coaching, but I like going after the bigger CB with ball skills. Big question is can we develop a CB? I started liking the kid we have to work with here and think of him as having huge upside, but a low % chance of reaching that upside. I still want to see some interviews to get a better feel on his mindset/character. That's could push me more in his favor.

All that said, I went from unsure of each pick to being 100% in on our 1st 2 picks and feeling there's a low % chance for a monster upside with our 3rd pick. Somehow everything felt a little bit reachy to me in the first 2 days, but I'm ok with it as this point and think we're going to have some solid luck and I'm going to trust the Steelers probably went all in on character after the recent fiasco/drama with AB and Bell.

flippy
04-27-2019, 10:13 AM
Watching more Layne tape and interviews and I'm liking this pick. He comes across as confident but not cocky. He seems to believe he's the best CB in the draft which is a positive. He seems humble and committed to his teammates always positive about others around him. Comes off as a nice and thoughtful kid. And he sounds like he has a bit of chip on his shoulder to prove he can tackle given that he was a WR.

He doesn't shy away from contact even though his tackling technique doesn't always look perfect.

It also looks like he's got a lot to learn being a CB. Far from a finished product and I have some concerns about him keeping up with quicker NFL guys. But man if he can work out and add some weight/strength and keep improving his game, he's got so much upside.

But so did Brian Allen when I first watched him, but I think Layne is going to be better and does somethings a lot better than Allen. I feel like Layne is going to end up somewhere between Allen and Richard Sherman with Go Go Gadget arms when it's all said and done. I think Sherman is a good comparison given their ability to play the ball, but he's nowhere close to that level. But I get the impression Layne says the right things, is committed to working, and has a bit of a chip to prove he's the best. We'll see, but I definitely like his upside.

flippy
04-27-2019, 10:40 AM
Favorite thing about Layne - he's not satisfied with his play even when he and his team play well.

Steel Maniac
04-27-2019, 12:02 PM
I feel great about Layne and Bush. I’m looking forward to seeing what we will do in the 4th round and with those picks in the 6th round.

Moonie
04-27-2019, 12:57 PM
Not me. From the videos I can find on youtube and reading whatever grading articles I can find, Johnson is relatively slow (and his excuse about the 40 time is a laugh). He does seem a fluid runner when he has the ball, but ALSO cant't seem to catch anything that doesn't hit him in the chest. Maybe that's how they teach receiving at Toledo. Yes, Toledo.

Layne seems to get turned around and not know where the ball is. In fact, looking for the ball doesn't seem to be something he's interested in - hence the one single interception last year. Why is that someone we want to draft for this secondary the set some kind of record low for interceptions?

Steel Maniac
04-27-2019, 01:35 PM
I dont see how taking Johnson was more important then adding a rotational
( possible)difference maker in Winovich.

flippy
04-28-2019, 07:51 PM
Day 3 wasn’t too shabby.

Between Snell, Gentry, Smith, Ulysses, Buggs, and Gray and I’m not going to be surprised if 4-5 of these guys make the roster.

Snell and Buggs are 2 of my favorite picks and I think both can get in the rotation and make contributions. The MAC guys look like they can add to ST and have something special that will be fab favorites quickly even if they don’t make it. Not really big on Gentry, but he’s relatively new to the position, so let’s see. And the 7th round OT is meh,but whatever.

Going back and watching as much as I can on these guys and I can’t remember feeling so good about a draft haul in a long time. There were other guys I really liked that didn’t end up with us, but I think we did better than usual.

I think in 3 years we could have 3-4 quality starters out of this class and some good depth and STers.

Steel Maniac
04-28-2019, 08:06 PM
I’m looking forward to seeing Sneel but I also want to see how Samuels will look after a true camp and a year of conditioning and training.

Ernie
04-28-2019, 08:32 PM
I’m looking forward to seeing Sneel but I also want to see how Samuels will look after a true camp and a year of conditioning and training.

i think weve got the potential to have a real solid RB corp

hawaiiansteel
04-28-2019, 08:35 PM
i think weve got the potential to have a real solid RB corp

without paying the wannabe rapper ridiculous $$$, all 3 guys will be making way less combined than we would have had to pay Leave'on alone.

Steel Maniac
04-28-2019, 10:02 PM
without paying the wannabe rapper ridiculous $$$, all 3 guys will be making way less combined than we would have had to pay Leave'on alone.

Yes!! The Sneel pick was the final stamp of approval of the way we handled the Bell situation. I’d much rather have this three headed monster then Bell.

And I’m really hoping that Johnson is this great phenom WR that I’ve been reading about.

hawaiiansteel
04-28-2019, 10:07 PM
Yes!! The Sneel pick was the final stamp of approval of the way we handled the Bell situation. I’d much rather have this three headed monster then Bell.

And I’m really hoping that Thompson is this great phenom WR that I’ve been reading about.

you mean Diontae Johnson?

Steel Maniac
04-28-2019, 10:08 PM
Yep.. my bad.

Northern_Blitz
04-29-2019, 09:54 AM

And I’m really hoping that Johnson is this great phenom WR that I’ve been reading about.

I hope that we get all three guys reps depending on weekly match-ups. But it hasn't been our MO in the past.

hawaiiansteel
04-30-2019, 05:49 PM
Adam Schein ‘Loves’ Steelers’ 2019 NFL Draft Class

By Matthew Marczi
Posted on April 30, 2019

One’s tolerance for post-draft grades within days of the draft’s completion probably holds a strong correlation with those who have never seen a mock draft they didn’t want to look at. While it goes without saying that any immediate evaluation of a draft class is by necessity incomplete, I do think there is some value in making judgements about a team’s habits and evaluative abilities relative to the immediate aftermath as well.

Earlier, I shared an evaluation from Pro Football Focus which rated the Pittsburgh Steelers’ draft class as ‘above average’, with the highest grade being excellent, generally handed out to teams who had blue chip players fall into their laps in the first round.

Another post-draft evaluation comes from Adam Schein through the league’s own website. Schein rated the Steelers’ class as one of the very best, second only to Washington, who had Dwayne Haskins fall to them in the first round. They then traded back into the first to pounce on the falling Montez Sweat, who if medicals remain positive can be a very good player.

Next was Pittsburgh in the ‘love’ category, though.

“I just love how Pittsburgh, fresh off of a tumultuous 2018 campaign and 2019 winter, went against its DNA to trade up for one of my favorite players in the draft, linebacker Devin Bush”, he wrote. “This kid is the real deal — a lock to be great, at least in my book. He’s this year’s Roquan Smith. And the former Michigan star is the perfect and classic Steeler. Pittsburgh could’ve been content to stay at 20 and nab a corner. Nope. The Steelers got aggressive and scooped up a defensive heartbeat — a playmaking, game-shaping, tackling machine”.

It’s fair to say that the legacy of the 2019 NFL Draft for Pittsburgh is probably going to hinge on the player Bush becomes. They believe he should develop into a difference-maker and Pro Bowler, obviously given the resources they spended to go and get him. But he was just one of nine players added over the weekend.

“Two rounds (and 73 picks) later, Kevin Colbert found a corner with great physical tools and upside: Justin Layne, a 6-foot-2 coverman who initially played wide receiver at Michigan State”, Schein went on. “Pittsburgh also nabbed a wideout (third-rounder Diontae Johnson) and running back (fourth-rounder Benny Snell) to compete for playing time in position groups that will no longer feature Pro Bowl mainstays Antonio Brown and Le’Veon Bell”.

In addition to those top four picks, the Steelers also added tight end Zach Gentry in the fifth round, linebackers Sutton Smith and Ulysees Gilbert III and defensive lineman Isaiah Buggs in the sixth, and completed their class with offensive lineman Derwin Gray in the seventh.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/04/adam-schein-loves-steelers-2019-nfl-draft-class/