PDA

View Full Version : Who Are We Overlooking from Previous Drafts

SidSmythe
04-26-2019, 09:58 AM
Going into the Draft you have a few players you pencil in as Day 1 Starters
Devin Bush I believe will be expected to be on the field early and often.

Looking into the future who have we drafted that will fill future needs? It seems as though if someone isn't all over the field Year 1 or 2 they're written off and we move onto the next draft looking to draft their replacement.

In 2020 the Steelers most likely will need a new FS, OLB and a CB

Out of these overlooked players who is most likely to fill a spot either this year or next year??
Who out of these 4 will keep the Steelers from drafting a position in the 3rd or 4th Round?
- Marcus Allen - FS - 5th Round - 2018
- Cam Sutton - CB - 3rd Round - 2017
- Brian Allen - CB - 5th Round - 2017
- Keion Adams - OLB - 7th Round - 2017

Iron City Inc.
04-26-2019, 10:37 AM
None of them. We have a huge need at corner and imho we will take at least 1 boundary corner if not 2. Allen is a box safety (hybrid type) thumper. We need a guy who can play single high cover 1. Thornhill is an option there. He could be there in the 3rd and would be in play. Safety n corner tonight would be nice.

Steel Maniac
04-26-2019, 10:39 AM
None of them. We have a huge need at corner and imho we will take at least 1 boundary corner if not 2. Allen is a box safety (hybrid type) thumper. We need a guy who can play single high cover 1. Thornhill is an option there. He could be there in the 3rd and would be in play. Safety n corner tonight would be nice.

I think that the two 3rd round picks will be guys who will be expected to immediately contribute to their respective positions. I'm assuming a TE, CB, OLB, DE or FS.

Iron City Inc.
04-26-2019, 10:54 AM
I think that the two 3rd round picks will be guys who will be expected to immediately contribute to their respective positions. I'm assuming a TE, CB, OLB, DE or FS.
I hope you are right that they expect early ROI. They get to camp n compete. I think there are a boat load of good ,not great wr's , so a wr could be in the mix if not 2 db's tonight.

Steel Maniac
04-26-2019, 10:56 AM
I hope you are right that they expect early ROI. They get to camp n compete. I think there are a boat load of good ,not great wr's , so a wr could be in the mix if not 2 db's tonight.

Don't over look our need at free safety. If Deionte Thompson is sitting there at the top of the 3rd round, I think it would be hard to pass on him. Justin Layne (CB michigan St.) will also be very tempting.

calmkiller
04-26-2019, 11:01 AM

I don't think we have a position that needs immediate production though. TE might be the one position to counter that statement, but right now we have a 2 deep everywhere. I could see FS being a need next year but based on the visits, it isn't a need they are showing this year like they are at LB, RB and CB. I look for them to take a FS in the 7th round in either Dravon Askew-Henry or Mike Edwards.

Iron City Inc.
04-26-2019, 11:04 AM
I mentioned Thornhill. If it was him n Layne tonight we would be a much better D, not sure immediate plug n plays but close. It would fill some huge needs.

Steel Maniac
04-26-2019, 11:38 AM
I mentioned Thornhill. If it was him n Layne tonight we would be a much better D, not sure immediate plug n plays but close. It would fill some huge needs.

I think value will factor in also; if Thompson were there, we wouldn't have to depend on Barron to fill two spots and that gives us greater depth in our linebacker corps. Tough call..pleasant problem to have. Layne really could get the call.

Buzz
04-26-2019, 11:40 AM

Agreed. Sure would like to see us draft Thornhill. And isn't Sean Davis in the final year of his contract?

Northern_Blitz
04-26-2019, 12:30 PM
Maybe Adeniyi? Looked good in pre-season, but got hurt.

Not sure if he counts as "from previous drafts" because he was a UDFA.

Iron City Inc.
04-26-2019, 12:32 PM
Yes he is. He is ok but he is not special. If he was our 3rd safety I'd like him a lot better. He can play strong n weak which is nice but he isn't all that at either.

Va Steelr
04-26-2019, 02:54 PM
I have watched Thornhill his entire career at UVA. He would be a better addition than a lot of people think. He has ball skills, willing tackler and is a very smart young man. He is being undervalued in my opinion.

dreegking
04-27-2019, 06:13 AM
Don't over look our need at free safety. If Deionte Thompson is sitting there at the top of the 3rd round, I think it would be hard to pass on him. Justin Layne (CB michigan St.) will also be very tempting.
Nice call.

SidSmythe
04-27-2019, 08:59 AM
So not 1 of the 4 makes a future impact?

I didn't put #92 on the list b/c I truly believe he's shown ability on the field and will make an impact this yr.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-27-2019, 12:32 PM
As the leaguewide trend towards aerial attacks continues, I think (hope) that Sutton can help. He has a very bright football mind and I've been hoping since he was drafted that he can translate that onto the field.

Steel Maniac
04-27-2019, 12:36 PM
If your not available to play, it doesn’t matter what your skill set is. Sutton isn’t available and I consider him a failed experiment at this point. If we take a safety today , I’d like him released. Because he’s taking up roster space.