PDA

View Full Version : Conner

Disco1981
04-24-2019, 12:51 PM
Check out @NFLFilms’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/NFLFilms/status/1120787857767927809?s=01

Good stuff

hawaiiansteel
05-27-2019, 05:38 PM
RB James Conner leading by example for Steelers

By Grant Gordon NFL.com
Published: May 27, 2019

Often lost in the histrionics that seemingly defined a tumultuous 2018 Pittsburgh Steelers season, James Conner emerged as an inspirational story and a standout running back.

Now that Le'Veon Bell and Antonio Brown are gone, controversy has waned at least somewhat and roles will need to be filled.

No longer a fill-in for Bell, Conner is the front runner of a running back corps that includes Jaylen Samuels and rookie Benny Snell Jr.

A survivor of Hodgkin's lymphoma who is now cancer free, Conner has quickly become a leader, but he contends he's just leading by example.

"It's something that just happens," said Conner, via the team website, of becoming a leader when you're a returning starter. "I just go about my business, and when I can help someone I will. If that is a leader role, it is."

Thus, voluntary or not, Conner has been at the Steelers' organized team activities. No matter how one views the importance of OTAs, just showing up is likely a breath of fresh air for the Steelers faithful which endured a season in which Bell missed all 16 games and Brown missed the final contest of the season before a bumpy offseason that culminated with him being traded to the Oakland Raiders.

"The first rule of getting better is showing up," Conner said. "With all of us being here, running the plays we are going to be in season, it's going to help us in the long run.

"I want to knock the rust off, do some conditioning, and be around the new guys. A little bit of everything."

Conner was injured for parts of 2018 with a leg contusion and ankle issue, yet still earned a Pro Bowl nod. In only his second season, he showcased his versatility with 973 yards rushing and 497 yards receiving with 13 total touchdowns (12 rushing) in 13 games. So, in many ways, he's already shown a little bit of everything.

Now he's simply showing up and bestowing upon his backfield mates an example of how it's done.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001032046/article/rb-james-conner-leading-by-example-for-steelers

RuthlessBurgher
05-28-2019, 02:06 PM
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

Steelers RB James Conner set a team-first tone in his media session: "I'm all for that" (multiple backs getting the ball) "I haven't earned anything." "It's important to be a good person and have good character" "No players motivate us. We're motivated by a trophy."

1h

RuthlessBurgher
05-28-2019, 02:13 PM
Monday, May 27, 2019 09:30 AM

Conner: 'I just go about my business'

Teresa Varley

Steelers.com

On the run: James Conner entered OTAs as the team’s No. 1 running back, but that isn’t changing the way he prepares. He is a regular at the voluntary practices, knowing there is always room for improvement and growth.

“The first rule of getting better is showing up,” said Conner. “With all of us being here, running the plays we are going to be in season, it’s going to help us in the long run.

“I want to knock the rust off, do some conditioning, and be around the new guys. A little bit of everything.”

Conner said he doesn’t look at himself as a leader, even though he is the most experienced running back in the group. But if others look at him that way, he knows he needs to step up.

“It’s something that just happens,” said Conner. “I just go about my business, and when I can help someone I will. If that is a leader role, it is.”

Conner is excited to have rookie Benny Snell join the running back group, and the energetic, physical back can do nothing but help the group overall.

“That is how you win games, with depth,” said Conner. “If you look around the league a lot of good teams have multiple running backs. I know he had great numbers in college. I know he can play. There will be no drop off. That is how you win games, with depth.

“We are getting to know each other, getting to know the new guys. They are great people and great players. We are getting to know each other in the meeting room, on the field, in the locker room.”

Working together: Linebacker Mark Barron, who signed with the team as an unrestricted free agent this offseason, has been working in a rotation at inside linebacker along with Vince Williams and first-round pick Devin Bush.

And so far, so good, for the new addition.

“Everything has been good so far. No complaints,” said Barron. “I like everything that has been going on.

“It’s a process. Any time you step into a new scheme there are going to be a lot of thing going on, a lot of terminology. They are going to do things different. It’s a learning process, learning curve.”

Barron said he is already impressed with Bush, who has already picked up the nuance of calling out the defense in a short time.

“A good young talent,” said Barron. “I knew that as soon as we picked him up. I am excited to work with him. I always feel like great players bring out the best in each other. Just getting to work with each other and bring the best out of each other, I think that will be good for the team as a whole.”

Barron isn’t the only one who likes what Bush has brought to the table so far. Williams also has taken notice.

“He is amazing. He is smart,” said Williams. “Top 10 athletically. Loves football.”

Williams did say he wasn’t ‘impressed’ with the way Bush picked up the playbook so far, but that isn’t a knock on him.

“I am not impressed,” said Williams. “After having a few conversations with him he seems intelligent. If I was impressed that would say I’m surprised. I am not surprised. He seems like a sharp guy. That would mean I am surprised.”

Williams said the addition of Bush definitely helps the defense, adding to the competition which will make everyone better.

“I was excited about it,” said Williams of his reaction to Bush being drafted. “It adds more playmakers to the defense.”

He said it:

Terrell Edmunds on if the defense has something to prove this year:

“Definitely. Last year we were Top 10. This year we want to be the best. We are working on being the best. We are trying to make turnovers. Last year we didn’t do what we wanted to do, what we are capable of doing.

“We want to get more interceptions, be comfortable with the ball in our hand. That is a big emphasis. Going after the ball. Having it in our hands even if it’s a pass breakup. We have the mentality of we have to have the ball when it’s in the air. It’s ours.”

JuJu Smith-Schuster on the improvement he has seen from James Washington:

“He is not jumping every time he catches the ball. He is running through all of his routes. Powerful, strong. His conditioning is up there.”

https://www.steelers.com/news/conner-i-just-go-about-my-business

Oviedo
05-28-2019, 02:30 PM
In Conner and JuJu its great that the Steelers have two young players who seem to "get it." Guys who put the name on the front of the jersey first versus the name on the back.

I just hope Conner can show this season that he can answer the bell for 16 games and the play offs.

SteelerOfDeVille
05-28-2019, 03:07 PM
In Conner and JuJu its great that the Steelers have two young players who seem to "get it." Guys who put the name on the front of the jersey first versus the name on the back.

agreed

I just hope Conner can show this season that he can answer the bell for 16 games and the play offs.
if he doesn't, i actually trust the depth. huge fan of snell... he may steal short yardage carries away early on...

hawaiiansteel
05-28-2019, 03:48 PM
James Conner Happy To See Steelers Building Depth At RB Position

By Matthew Marczi
Posted on May 28, 2019

The turnover at the running back position in just a couple years’ time has been awfully significant for the Pittsburgh Steelers, and in particular for James Conner, the team’s second of two third-round draft picks in 2017. In a little over two years, he has suddenly gone from being the greenhorn to the seasoned veteran.

As he came in, he was brought in as Le’Veon Bell’s backup. Bell was about as proven as any running back in the league at the time, a Pro Bowler, and All-Pro, whose only blemish in his career at that point pretty much had been his availability. Of course his availability for the 2018 season is what opened the door for him.

And for Jaylen Samuels. And now for the drafting of Benny Snell. Samuels got to start a few games last year and held his own. The team feels really good about Snell, both on and off the field, and his ability to contribute. They feel they have a strong group now, and the head of the pack, Conner, is happy to see it.

“That is how you win games, with depth”, he told the team’s website. “If you look around the league a lot of good teams have multiple running backs. I know he had great numbers in college. I know he can play. There will be no drop off. That is how you win games, with depth”.

Just think of the New Orleans Saints, who in recent years got to pair Mark Ingram with Alvin Kamara. Now Ingram is actually with the Baltimore Ravens and will pair with 2018 rookie Gus Edwards, who found success after Lamar Jackson was installed into the lineup.

Other teams with notable usage (or projected usage) of multiple backs would be the Cincinnati Bengals with Joe Mixon and Giovanni Bernard, the Minnesota Vikings with Dalvin Cook and Latavius Murray, the Los Angeles Chargers with Melvin Gordon and Austin Ekeler, and the Cleveland Browns, who will have Nick Chubb, Kareem Hunt, and Duke Johnson in 2019.

Is it any coincidence that all four teams in the AFC North could figure prominently in the mix of teams who make use of a stable of multiple running backs? Of course, we’ll have to see if Ben Roethlisberger is going to throw the ball 700 times or now.

“We are getting to know each other, getting to know the new guys”, Conner said, which there is largely talking about Snell, who figures to be the number three back this year, replacing veteran Stevan Ridley. “They are great people and great players. We are getting to know each other in the meeting room, on the field, in the locker room”.

Two years ago, Conner was the guy behind Bell, working with veteran Fitzgerald Toussaint and just learning the ropes. Now he will be trying to show the ropes to Samuels, who is still new to the position on a full-time basis, and Snell. But that’s how you build depth, especially at a fungible position with a short shelf-life.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/james-conner-happy-to-see-steelers-building-depth-at-rb-position/

Oh wow
05-28-2019, 04:18 PM
By the start of preseason folks are going to want Conner to run for Mayor.

Keep that same energy when Snell starts taking your reps and you are riding the bench.

When Benny Snell starts playing Benny Snell football and doing Benny Snell things.. lol.

flippy
05-28-2019, 06:22 PM
By the start of preseason folks are going to want Conner to run for Mayor.

Keep that same energy when Snell starts taking your reps and you are riding the bench.

When Benny Snell starts playing Benny Snell football and doing Benny Snell things.. lol.

James is going to get dinged up. It's just the way he runs and initiates contact. There will be time to use others. I still think Samuels is the #2 choice especially after the way he ran against NE last season.

NorthCoast
05-28-2019, 07:29 PM
:Clap:Clap

All for it!

No. 1 priority, balance the offense.

No. 2 priority, have NFL capable backups at the skill positions. The Steelers, I think, have #2. Just need to follow through with a scheme to get #1.

Let's go! :tt2

RuthlessBurgher
05-29-2019, 02:07 PM
James Conner: I haven’t earned anything yet

Posted by Josh Alper on May 29, 2019, 12:47 PM EDT

The Steelers have talked about moving toward more of a committee approach in the backfield this season and the player that led the way on the ground last year said he doesn’t have any problem with that.

James Conner had 188 more touches than Jaylen Samuels last season despite missing three games with a sprained ankle and he did well enough with those chances to rack up 1,470 yards and 13 touchdowns. Some might believe that’s enough to be the lead dog again in 2019, but Conner disagrees.

He said he hasn’t “earned anything yet” and that there’s room for Samuels and fourth-round pick Benny Snell even if he opens the year in the top spot on the depth chart.

“Obviously who doesn’t love carrying the ball, you know? But you look around the league, a lot of teams that are really successful and doing well are using multiple backs,” Conner said, via PennLive.com. “Like I’ve always said, that’s how you win games is with depth. So I’m all for it. Those guys are talented. They can make plays. They can make some plays that I can’t make, so I’m all for it.”

Samuels said that the team has practiced formations featuring him and Conner on the field at the same time, so it seems a lot of different ideas will be on the table as the team heads into training camp and the regular season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/29/james-conner-i-havent-earned-anything-yet/

SteelerOfDeVille
05-29-2019, 04:48 PM
James is going to get dinged up. It's just the way he runs and initiates contact. There will be time to use others. I still think Samuels is the #2 choice especially after the way he ran against NE last season.
Trust me, I love Samuels. But, he's not the runner Snell is. We'll have a hard-running backfield, with Samuels being the best pass-catcher, Conner being the most balanced and Snell simply being a determined, confident runner. It's a REALLY good bunch. ALL 3, pretty solid runners who run hard...

If this backfield needs anything, it's "a little speed". Might be able to find that undersized guy next year who runs a 4.4 in the draft as a 5-6 rounder

flippy
05-29-2019, 06:04 PM
Trust me, I love Samuels. But, he's not the runner Snell is. We'll have a hard-running backfield, with Samuels being the best pass-catcher, Conner being the most balanced and Snell simply being a determined, confident runner. It's a REALLY good bunch. ALL 3, pretty solid runners who run hard...

If this backfield needs anything, it's "a little speed". Might be able to find that undersized guy next year who runs a 4.4 in the draft as a 5-6 rounder

Time will tell who the better RB is, but the thing I like about Samuels is he's a different style runner than Conner/Snell. Conner and Snell have their own different styles, but generally its one cut and go. Samuels has a bit of a different style where he dances through holes, he'll change speeds/pacing, just a different type of guy to prepare for.

I'd rather see Conner (or Snell when Conner gets hurt) get the bulk of the carries and for Samuels to be the change of pace or the HBack in this offense. I really want to see Samuels on the field more in the RedZone because he's a matchup problem and has a nose for the endzone. But I'm a sucker for NC State players and see a lot of these guys. Samuels is one of those guys you just want on the field because he makes plays even though he doesn't have a traditional position.

RuthlessBurgher
05-29-2019, 06:16 PM
Samuels has the potential to a Larry Centers type of RB.

Or for those who only tend to follow Steeler players, a latter day John L. Williams.

Oh wow
05-29-2019, 06:27 PM
I like the way samuels played vs the Saints but it definitely takes him a while to get through the hole.

SteelerOfDeVille
05-30-2019, 09:39 AM
Samuels has the potential to a Larry Centers type of RB.

Or for those who only tend to follow Steeler players, a latter day John L. Williams.
Larry Centers is a perfect example of who he is... and that's a REALLY good player. We may get into this season and feel that our team has (arguably) the best backfield in the game...

RuthlessBurgher
05-30-2019, 10:33 AM
Centers was really an interesting dude back in the 90's.

He might get you in the neighborhood of 100-200 yards on the ground total in any given year (the most yardage he every ran for in his career was 425), but he was usually good for 60-100 catches for 500-900 yards through the air throughout his career.

In 14 NFL seasons as an NFL RB with 4 different teams, he ran for a total of only 2188 rushing yards, but had 827 total catches for 6797 receiving yards. He also had twice as many receiving TD's in his career (28) as rushing TD's (14).

And this was before the huge passing boon this league has experienced, so you'd think we'd see even more Larry Centers types now. Samuels could be that guy for us. Maybe he only runs the ball 2-3 times in any given game, but he could easily supplement that with 5-6 catches out of the backfield as well.

Oh wow
05-30-2019, 12:37 PM
Who was the Pats RB who always torched us in the flat. I hated that dude.

tiproast
05-30-2019, 01:17 PM
Who was the Pats RB who always torched us in the flat. I hated that dude.

Perhaps it was Kevin Faulk. He developed into a fairly reliable receiver out of the backfield, after he overcame some early-career fumbling issues.

Oh wow
05-30-2019, 02:51 PM
Perhaps it was Kevin Faulk. He developed into a fairly reliable receiver out of the backfield, after he overcame some early-career fumbling issues.

I knew you would swoop in here with his stankin’ ass name.

That’s him.

Captain Lemming
05-30-2019, 05:46 PM

We can always call Dri Archer. :)

Steel Maniac
05-30-2019, 09:24 PM
Making too much of what we saw from Samuels last year. Samuels has dropped weight. So we don’t know how Samuels is going to look.

papillon
05-30-2019, 10:07 PM
IMO, if you want to be successful running the ball late in a game you need to have a #1 back that gets the lion's share of the carries during a game. Offensive linemen love blocking for running plays and wearing down a defense and imposing their will on the defense. Running backs need work to be effective, getting 10-12 ro 23-15 carriers doesn't get you into the flow of the game and give you a chance to dominate the other team but 20-25 carriers per game gives the opportunity to make big gains when the defense is tired and doesn't want to have to tackle a 215 pound back late in the game.

If you go running back by committee, imo, you'll need your QB to make plays to move the sticks late in games.

Pappy

Steel Maniac
05-30-2019, 11:27 PM
IMO, if you want to be successful running the ball late in a game you need to have a #1 back that gets the lion's share of the carries during a game. Offensive linemen love blocking for running plays and wearing down a defense and imposing their will on the defense. Running backs need work to be effective, getting 10-12 ro 23-15 carriers doesn't get you into the flow of the game and give you a chance to dominate the other team but 20-25 carriers per game gives the opportunity to make big gains when the defense is tired and doesn't want to have to tackle a 215 pound back late in the game.

If you go running back by committee, imo, you'll need your QB to make plays to move the sticks late in games.

Pappy

I agree with you. That’s why I think Conner will still get the Lions share of carries.

Captain Lemming
05-31-2019, 12:22 AM

Pappy

OR......you win the SB with a dominant run game with less reliance of throwing 60 time a game because we DID EXACTLY THAT the last time we opened with one back (Parker) and closed games with another (Bettis)

I like the idea of the bruising rookie closing games out myself which would lessen the load on Conner AND get him game ready in case of injury.

hawaiiansteel
06-05-2019, 03:49 PM
Myles Garrett on James Conner: 'That's a man's running back'

By BRYAN DEARDO

James Conner earned the respect of Myles Garrett and the Cleveland Browns' defense last season.

In two games against the Browns last season, Conner, in his first season as Pittsburgh's staring running back, amassed 404 all-purpose yards and four touchdowns while helping the Steelers run their unbeaten streak against the Browns to 10 games. In all, Conner amassed 1,470 yards and 13 touchdowns last season despite missing three games due to injury.

Garrett, during an interview with NFL Films, offered his assessment of Conner heading into the 2019 season.

“That’s a man’s back right there," said Garrett, who like Conner is a member of the NFL's rookie class of 2017. “He runs it, like, kinda old school. He’ll try to stiff arm you, get around you, but the best way is to go through someone and that’s kinda his mentality.

“Taking [Le'Veon] Bell’s spot, people were kinda suspicious about how he was gonna do and what kind of impact he was gonna have, but he jumped in and made a big impact. We saw it first hand. He didn’t back down from the challenge.”

Another standout defensive player that has taken notice of Conner's recent success is Denver Broncos' pass rusher Von Miller. Miller, who faced Conner and the Steelers during Week 12 of the regular season, was impressed by what he saw out of Conner during this first season as a starting NFL running back.

“He’s great,” Miller said, via Steelers.com's Teresa Varley. “He’s a great player, he’s able to hit the holes the right way and take screens and catch the ball. Whatever it is, he’s a complete running back 100 percent.”

Conner has come a long way in a short period of time. After getting just 32 attempts during his rookie season, Conner underwent a grueling offseason workout regiment that led to him shedding nearly 10 points off of his 6'1 frame entering last spring's voluntary team practices. While Conner's conditioning was significantly better than it was the previous year, he also enhanced his pass catching and pass protection, two facets of his game that were scrutinized during his rookie season.

“It’s been fun to watch James because he’s a classic example of a guy who is in his second year, his second lap around the track, if you will," Pittsburgh head coach Mike Tomlin said before the start of last year's training camp. "It’s reasonable to expect those guys to be significantly better because there are no unknowns. They know what to expect. They’ve been in our program before. James is a reflection of that. He’s highly conditioned. Steelers fans are really gonna be impressed with his body and his level of conditioning."

While he may have used outside criticism to fuel him in the past, Conner recently said that he is no longer paying attention to what is being said about him on outside of Pittsburgh's organization. And while he knows that he won't even make everyone on the outside happy, Conner is only worried about having the trust and confidence of his teammates. Based on what he was able to accomplish last season, that doesn't seem to be a problem whatsoever.

“When my teammates said they believed in me, I didn’t pay attention to the outside world, what they thought," Conner said. "I just came to work every day. It was a funny position to be in, but I started all year and things worked out.”

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Article/Myles-Garrett-on-James-Conner-Thats-a-mans-running-back--132600684/

Steel Maniac
06-05-2019, 03:55 PM
OR......you win the SB with a dominant run game with less reliance of throwing 60 time a game because we DID EXACTLY THAT the last time we opened with one back (Parker) and closed games with another (Bettis)

I like the idea of the bruising rookie closing games out myself which would lessen the load on Conner AND get him game ready in case of injury.

Boom....................

Northern_Blitz
06-05-2019, 05:20 PM

We've decided to pay Ben to throw the ball lots of times and put up lots of points. That seems like a good idea looking at last year when the last 4 teams all had elite O and most had average D.

Iron City Inc.
06-05-2019, 06:52 PM
We've decided to pay Ben to throw the ball lots of times and put up lots of points. That seems like a good idea looking at last year when the last 4 teams all had elite O and most had average D.

I'm thinking we paid 7 to win games for us and to win another ring for us before he rides off n not necessarily to pass lots n put up a lot of points.

Oh wow
06-05-2019, 10:00 PM

We paid him to win games. I think Ben has total control of the offense and can change plays when necessary.

Steel Maniac
06-05-2019, 10:43 PM
I'm thinking we paid 7 to win games for us and to win another ring for us before he rides off n not necessarily to pass lots n put up a lot of points.

Exactly........

hawaiiansteel
06-18-2019, 05:58 PM
Ranking all 32 RB1s heading into 2019: Saquon Barkley No. 1

By Maurice Jones-Drew
NFL.com Analyst
Published: June 18, 2019

14 James Conner

RB
Steelers

Ben Roethlisberger is another year older and Antonio Brown is in Oakland. The Steelers must run the ball early and often and Conner is their guy, even though recent reports suggest that there will be a committee of backs getting in on the action. He held his own last year -- ranking sixth in the league with 113.1 scrimmage yards per game -- but he'll have to be better to account for the loss of other weapons. The third-year pro will also get help from a great offensive line.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001034041/article/ranking-all-32-rb1s-heading-into-2019-saquon-barkley-no-1?campaign=tw-articleshare

Steel Maniac
06-19-2019, 10:26 AM
Conner will be fine. I think he comes into this season having a better perspective of knowing now just what is required of him. From a physical conditioning stand point and has an outstanding season. And he's got a couple of guys who'll give him a nice breather when needed.

RuthlessBurgher
07-01-2019, 02:48 PM
James Conner: Steelers have “a great chance of going all the way”

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 1, 2019, 2:36 PM EDT

Steelers running back James Conner has high hopes for Pittsburgh’s chances in 2019.

Conner told NFL Media that he sees no reason the Steelers can’t win the Super Bowl at the end of this season.

“Not guaranteeing nothing but I think we have a great chance of going all the way,” Conner said. “That’s what we play for, that’s why we show up every day, that’s the ultimate goal, is to get a ring. I know that’s a lot of people don’t think that we can do it, with the pieces that we lost, and just counting us out. We don’t mind it, though. We know that they’re counting us out, but that’s why I said we’re going to shock them because I don’t think they expect us to do what we’re about to do this year.”

After making the playoffs four straight years, the Steelers took a step backward and missed the postseason last year. Whether they have a “great chance” of winning the Super Bowl or not is debatable, but Conner says his team is heading into the 2019 season with confidence.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/01/james-conner-steelers-have-a-great-chance-of-going-all-the-way/

NorthCoast
07-01-2019, 06:29 PM
Ranking all 32 RB1s heading into 2019: Saquon Barkley No. 1

By Maurice Jones-Drew
NFL.com Analyst
Published: June 18, 2019

14 James Conner

RB
Steelers

Ben Roethlisberger is another year older and Antonio Brown is in Oakland. The Steelers must run the ball early and often and Conner is their guy, even though recent reports suggest that there will be a committee of backs getting in on the action. He held his own last year -- ranking sixth in the league with 113.1 scrimmage yards per game -- but he'll have to be better to account for the loss of other weapons. The third-year pro will also get help from a great offensive line.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001034041/article/ranking-all-32-rb1s-heading-into-2019-saquon-barkley-no-1?campaign=tw-articleshare

Jones-Drew has some kind of beef over the Steelers.... I pretty much discount everything he has to say.

hawaiiansteel
07-01-2019, 07:59 PM
Jones-Drew has some kind of beef over the Steelers.... I pretty much discount everything he has to say.

yeah, Jones-Drew is good friends with Le'Veon Bell and recently predicted a 7-9 season for the Steelers.

rpmpit
07-02-2019, 07:24 AM
yeah, Jones-Drew is good friends with Le'Veon Bell and recently predicted a 7-9 season for the Steelers.

With Jones-Drew hyping Bell and Carr CONSTANTLY spewing about the bromance between his brother and AB, NFL Network has become almost unwatchable.
Can't wait for the season to start so we (yes, I said WE) can shut these jackasses up :tt2

Steel Maniac
07-02-2019, 10:02 AM
With Jones-Drew hyping Bell and Carr CONSTANTLY spewing about the bromance between his brother and AB, NFL Network has become almost unwatchable.
Can't wait for the season to start so we (yes, I said WE) can shut these jackasses up :tt2

Who is Jones- Drew? And the Carr brothers?...please.

Oh wow
07-02-2019, 10:22 AM

Why would anyone be shocked or surprised that a RB is cheering for a RB.

Seems like you usually have 2 types of players turned analyst. They either love their position and make excuses for them or they go to the other end of the spectrum and are super critical of their team/position to appear neutral.

Steve Smith is always accused of being a hater by Panther fans for his opinions of the team now that he is in the studio.

RuthlessBurgher
07-02-2019, 11:01 AM
James Conner: Antonio Brown, Le’Veon Bell departures made us closer

Posted by Mike Florio on July 2, 2019, 10:38 AM EDT

The Steelers will move forward in 2019 without receiver Antonio Brown or running back Le'Veon Bell. The team hopes that it will be addition by subtraction.

“I think only time will tell,” Steelers running back James Conner told #PFTPM on Monday. “I think we became closer maybe because of everything. Throughout OTAs and minicamp, it was fun to see the guys. You know, come into the facility, excited to be there, the interactions and the relationships. They’ve all been great so far. Great vibes within our organization. We’re excited about the future, man.”

The future will include constant external comparisons between what the Steelers are doing without Brown and Bell, and what Brown and Bell are doing without the Steelers. The current Steelers players won’t be paying attention to that.

“We always have respect for those guys,” Conner said of Brown and Bell. “Those are our former teammates. They’re great people as well as football players. Worrying about what they’re doing in their states and teams, that can’t help us none. We hope they do well and wish the best for them, but that can’t help us at all. That’s behind us.”

What’s in front of the Steelers is an opportunity to band together, to find motivation in the noise, and to overachieve, after a couple of seasons of perceived underachievement.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/02/james-conner-antonio-brown-leveon-bell-departures-made-us-closer/

hawaiiansteel
07-06-2019, 05:47 PM
https://static.clubs.nfl.com/image/private/t_photo_album/f_auto/steelers/v9glkqfyndwyb6hulu4x.jpg

hawaiiansteel
07-13-2019, 01:03 AM
James Conner: ‘I’m Going To Go Back To The Pro Bowl Every Year’

By Daniel Valente
Posted on July 12, 2019

Pittsburgh Steelers running back James Conner was a recent guest on the podcast of current performing artist and former Duke pitcher Mike Stud. Among topics such as their friendship, spiritual beliefs and Conner’s battle with cancer, the Steelers’ running back also made a promise that as long as he remained a starter, he would continue to make the Pro Bowl.

“I went to the Pro Bowl, that experience was crazy. Just seeing Hopkins, Von Miller, Mahomes, all of them. Just getting tight with them and knowing them as dudes rather than just saying good game after the game. The experience was great, I gotta go back every year and I’m going to go back every year. Every year I start, I’m going to the Pro Bowl,” Conner told Stud.

Conner’s road to his first Pro Bowl selection last season was a bit of an unexpected one as he was thrusted into a starting role after Le’Veon Bell failed to show up last season.

The Steelers’ running back will now start his bid for another Pro Bowl selection this season and he may have a heads-up on years prior as this marks the first offseason that the 24-year old back has gone into already knowing his role with the team. The running back’s first two off seasons were clouded by the franchise tag negotiations and possible holdout from Bell. Conner spoke to Stud about what it was like being a rookie and dealing with Bell’s training camp absence.

“He sits out the whole training camp. So, I’m running and I’m like oh okay, I might ball out this year. Le’Veon gon’ show up a week before the season start. They tagged him, he getting $15 million dollars that year, obviously he gon’ start. So, he starts and he played that whole season and so I’m like damn.”

Conner finished his rookie season with just 32 touches and failed to record a reception or a touchdown. While his production and usage differed greatly from his college days, the Steelers’ running back maintained a positive mindset through it all.

“I said something gon’ happen because they were in contract (negotiations) again next year. I know I’m a starting running back. I’m staying positive forsure, I’m in the league, I’m healthy.”

Sure enough, something big was brewing on the horizon as Bell sat out another training camp with rumours that he could sit out for the entire year. Conner was not surprised by this challenge but was instead chomping at the bit as he showed up to camp in the best shape of his life.

“I’m running with the ones all throughout training camp again. (Le’Veon) holding out but he was talking after last season, he was like tag me again, I’m about to sit out. I’m chomping at the bit, oh you gon’ sit out, I’m about to work. I’m going hard in training camp, best shape ever of my life, my offseason training went good. I said this is year I’m going to be at my full strength, my best, they ain’t never see a me like this before, not even in college.”

Though Conner arrived in the best shape of his life, he had witnessed this exact scenario play out a year prior and was fully expecting Bell to show up a week before the season. When that did not happen, the former Pitt Panther realized this was his shot at showing the world what he could do.

“We get back to Pittsburgh, and I’m like okay he’s going to walk through this door any second. He bout to be back and get a starting role. Tuesday goes by, he don’t show up. Wednesday goes by, he don’t show up. Thursday go by, he don’t show up. I’m like oh, we game planned for three days now, he not going in with the game plan or nothing. Friday come around, he ain’t there. Saturday come and we go to the hotel, he ain’t show up and I said week one I gotta go versus Cleveland. I grew up watching the Steelers and Browns rivalry. So, I came out and tore they *ss up.”

As Bell’s absences continued, Conner’s production only increased as the Steelers hardly missed a beat with their new lead back. Conner recorded 973 rushing yards, 497 receiving yards and 14 total touchdowns as he earned an invite to the Pro Bowl. Now having experienced his first taste of the Pro Bowl, the Steelers’ running back is determined to make it a tradition for years to come.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/07/james-conner-im-going-to-go-back-to-the-pro-bowl-every-year/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaig n=Feed%3A+SteelersDepotBlog+%28Steelers+Depot%29

fordfixer
07-13-2019, 06:48 AM
James Conner: ‘I’m Going To Go Back To The Pro Bowl Every Year’

By Daniel Valente
Posted on July 12, 2019

Pittsburgh Steelers running back James Conner was a recent guest on the podcast of current performing artist and former Duke pitcher Mike Stud. Among topics such as their friendship, spiritual beliefs and Conner’s battle with cancer, the Steelers’ running back also made a promise that as long as he remained a starter, he would continue to make the Pro Bowl.

“I went to the Pro Bowl, that experience was crazy. Just seeing Hopkins, Von Miller, Mahomes, all of them. Just getting tight with them and knowing them as dudes rather than just saying good game after the game. The experience was great, I gotta go back every year and I’m going to go back every year. Every year I start, I’m going to the Pro Bowl,” Conner told Stud.

Conner’s road to his first Pro Bowl selection last season was a bit of an unexpected one as he was thrusted into a starting role after Le’Veon Bell failed to show up last season.

The Steelers’ running back will now start his bid for another Pro Bowl selection this season and he may have a heads-up on years prior as this marks the first offseason that the 24-year old back has gone into already knowing his role with the team. The running back’s first two off seasons were clouded by the franchise tag negotiations and possible holdout from Bell. Conner spoke to Stud about what it was like being a rookie and dealing with Bell’s training camp absence.

“He sits out the whole training camp. So, I’m running and I’m like oh okay, I might ball out this year. Le’Veon gon’ show up a week before the season start. They tagged him, he getting $15 million dollars that year, obviously he gon’ start. So, he starts and he played that whole season and so I’m like damn.”

Conner finished his rookie season with just 32 touches and failed to record a reception or a touchdown. While his production and usage differed greatly from his college days, the Steelers’ running back maintained a positive mindset through it all.

“I said something gon’ happen because they were in contract (negotiations) again next year. I know I’m a starting running back. I’m staying positive forsure, I’m in the league, I’m healthy.”

Sure enough, something big was brewing on the horizon as Bell sat out another training camp with rumours that he could sit out for the entire year. Conner was not surprised by this challenge but was instead chomping at the bit as he showed up to camp in the best shape of his life.

“I’m running with the ones all throughout training camp again. (Le’Veon) holding out but he was talking after last season, he was like tag me again, I’m about to sit out. I’m chomping at the bit, oh you gon’ sit out, I’m about to work. I’m going hard in training camp, best shape ever of my life, my offseason training went good. I said this is year I’m going to be at my full strength, my best, they ain’t never see a me like this before, not even in college.”

Though Conner arrived in the best shape of his life, he had witnessed this exact scenario play out a year prior and was fully expecting Bell to show up a week before the season. When that did not happen, the former Pitt Panther realized this was his shot at showing the world what he could do.

“We get back to Pittsburgh, and I’m like okay he’s going to walk through this door any second. He bout to be back and get a starting role. Tuesday goes by, he don’t show up. Wednesday goes by, he don’t show up. Thursday go by, he don’t show up. I’m like oh, we game planned for three days now, he not going in with the game plan or nothing. Friday come around, he ain’t there. Saturday come and we go to the hotel, he ain’t show up and I said week one I gotta go versus Cleveland. I grew up watching the Steelers and Browns rivalry. So, I came out and tore they *ss up.”

As Bell’s absences continued, Conner’s production only increased as the Steelers hardly missed a beat with their new lead back. Conner recorded 973 rushing yards, 497 receiving yards and 14 total touchdowns as he earned an invite to the Pro Bowl. Now having experienced his first taste of the Pro Bowl, the Steelers’ running back is determined to make it a tradition for years to come.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/07/james-conner-im-going-to-go-back-to-the-pro-bowl-every-year/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaig n=Feed%3A+SteelersDepotBlog+%28Steelers+Depot%29
Hopefully he’s too busy playing in the Super Bowl a few times.

Steel Maniac
07-15-2019, 09:17 AM

Boom!.............

AzStillers1989
07-15-2019, 09:43 AM

Need more than 0 *’s playing in the pro bowl. Ain’t been one *’s helmet on the field in 3 years!!! Lol.

RuthlessBurgher
07-16-2019, 10:46 PM
James Conner says doctors gave him dire prognosis without cancer treatment

By Charean Williams | Jul 16, 2019, 6:46 PM EDT

Steelers running back James Conner learned of his cancer diagnosis in 2015. He recently revealed that his stage two Hodgkin’s lymphoma was caught in the nick of time.

Doctors found tumors in his neck and chest, and then the news got worse.

“My heart, I got tumors growing all around it,” Conner said during a podcast hosted by Michael Seander, via SI.com.

Conner said he didn’t have long to live without treatment.

“He said you got about a week — if you didn’t get this treated, you had about a week — at the rate it was growing,” Conner told Seander.

Conner underwent six months of chemotherapy and was declared cancer-free in May 2016. He returned to the field that season and then the Steelers drafted him in the third round in 2017.

Conner, 24, gained 1,470 yards from scrimmage and scored 13 touchdowns last season.

NorthCoast
07-26-2019, 09:47 PM
Damn, Connor looks absolutely ripped this season. He really put in the work this offseason.

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora/status/1154404740610101249?s=20

hawaiiansteel
08-06-2019, 02:29 AM
Damn, Connor looks absolutely ripped this season. He really put in the work this offseason.

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora/status/1154404740610101249?s=20

Steelers RB Coach Eddie Faulkner: ‘James Conner Bout To Go Crazy This Year’

By Dave Bryan
Posted on August 5, 2019

In the social media world that we now live in it’s easy to spot the presence of nearly every current NFL player on either Twitter, Instagram or Facebook, and sometimes all three. However, we are also starting to see more and more NFL coaches increasing their own presences on social media. New Pittsburgh Steelers running backs coach Eddie Faulkner is one of those NFL coaches not afraid to post on his social media accounts from time to time. In fact, Faulkner not only posted Monday morning on his social media accounts, he also made a bold 2019 prediction for a player that he coaches.

“James Conner bout to go crazy this year!,” Faulkner posted Monday morning on his social media accounts. “Just wait!”

While the Steelers might mix in some of Jaylen Samuels and rookie Benny Snell Jr. throughout the 2019 season, there’s no reason to think that the team will use a full-blown backfield-by-committee approach that several analysts have been attempting to sell most of the spring and summer. In short, expect James Conner to be the Steelers bell cow running back once again in 2019 and hopefully that includes him not having to miss any games due to injuries.

Last season, Conner was responsible for roughly 75 percent of all the Steelers run attempts up until he got injured in Week 13. He had also played roughly 80% of all offensive snaps before suffering an ankle injury that ultimately forced him to miss the next three games. Then-rookie Samuels proceeded to play well in Conner’s absence even though his running style is a bit different and includes more patience.

While Conner might have a slight decrease in his overall offensive playing time percentages in 2019, he still should see the field plenty and potentially enough to produce more than the 1,470 total yards from scrimmage that he produced in 2018. He totaled 270 touches last season and that was even with him missing three-and-a-half games due to injury. Will he hit 300-325 total touches in 2019? That might be too high of expectations but averaging 20 a game certainly isn’t unthinkable, just the same..

“It’s a long season,” Faulkner said back in June, according to Mike Persak of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “You’ve [have to] be cognizant for sure. And at the same time, keep him sharp and playing at a high level throughout. So that is a challenge, especially with a guy like James who’s ready to go out there and he’ll play every stinking play of the season if he could.”

So, should you believe Faulkner’s prediction that Conner will go crazy this year? Yes, I think you should. I mean, why wouldn’t you?

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/08/steelers-rb-coach-eddie-faulkner-james-conner-bout-to-go-crazy-this-year/

Oviedo
08-06-2019, 09:10 AM
I just want Conner to be healthy for an entire season and Super Bowl run. Is it crazy to want that?

Oh wow
08-06-2019, 09:35 AM
I just want Conner to be healthy for an entire season and Super Bowl run. Is it crazy to want that?

A little crazy given his physical style.

Hopefully Snell and Samuel can take a few more snaps away from Conner so we can have him running downhill at the end of the season.

Steel Maniac
08-06-2019, 10:34 AM

Of course not; Conner is now in the the best shape of his pro career. I expect him to have a stellar year. I'm picking at # 11 in the my fantasy draft and if Conner is there, he's the pick for me. That's how much I believe in Conner this year. And he's got Snell & Samuels to take just enough carries away to keep him fresh.

Northern_Blitz
08-06-2019, 10:40 AM
Of course not; Conner is now in the the best shape of his pro career. I expect him to have a stellar year. I'm picking at # 11 in the my fantasy draft and if Conner is there, he's the pick for me. That's how much I believe in Conner this year. And he's got Snell & Samuels to take just enough carries away to keep him fresh.

If you want Conner as your #1 back, it might be better to go with the best WR at 11 and get Conner at 14.

Unless you play with a bunch of Steelers homers that scoop up all the viable Steelers early.

My league is with a bunch of guys from Canada, but one of the other guys is also a die hard Steelers fan. He overdrafts our guys every year.

I try really hard not to do this...but it did cost me JuJu in his rookie season (who I was hoping to pick up late, but he got scooped a few rounds earlier than I was willing to move).

Northern_Blitz
08-06-2019, 10:42 AM

If it is, I'm on the crazy train with you.

https://tenor.com/view/choo-train-gif-5502239https://tenor.com/view/choo-train-gif-5502239https://media1.tenor.com/images/90ac5bec49aff3a8a02378182026ef14/tenor.gif?itemid=5502239

Oh wow
08-06-2019, 11:00 AM
I take Ben every year as my backup. He usually has a few huge games but also puts up a few stinkers.

Conner could be a good pick up but if we spread things around he isn’t really a good first pick.

Steel Maniac
08-06-2019, 11:12 AM
If you want Conner as your #1 back, it might be better to go with the best WR at 11 and get Conner at 14.

Unless you play with a bunch of Steelers homers that scoop up all the viable Steelers early.

My league is with a bunch of guys from Canada, but one of the other guys is also a die hard Steelers fan. He overdrafts our guys every year.

I try really hard not to do this...but it did cost me JuJu in his rookie season (who I was hoping to pick up late, but he got scooped a few rounds earlier than I was willing to move).

I'm in a 12 team league; I can still get a quality WR on the wrap (snake draft). You have to look at the landscape of the RB's (holdouts) coupled with Conner's nose for the end zone. Conner's is money down at the goal line. Contrary to what some are saying, we are running the ball MORE this year. Ben is not throwing for a million yards this year. I"m taking him at 11.

I never "homer" . But I think with everything considered, he's good value there for me.