PDA

View Full Version : Trading for Rosen

steelerkeylargo
04-19-2019, 09:57 AM
First off I am by no means saying that Mason Rudolph is a bust. I think he has a lot to prove at the NFL level. TBD. However if you could trade Rudolph and our 2020 1st for Rosen. Would you? While ultimately I think Arizona will get a 2019 1st round offer, the thought of getting Rudolph (fits Kingsbury system) and a 2020 1st would have to appeal to Arizona. Meanwhile we get a QB who is almost universally graded higher than Rudolph and BB heir apparent.

Buzz
04-19-2019, 10:05 AM
Giving up a first-round pick for a QB who will likely sit behind Ben for the next 3-4 years? His rookie deal could well be up before he ever takes the field for us. No thanks.

Steel Maniac
04-19-2019, 10:08 AM
Supposedly , there is should be a great class of QB's coming out next year.

steelerkeylargo
04-19-2019, 10:10 AM
Supposedly , there is should be a great class of QB's coming out next year.

Hopefully we won't be in a position to draft one.

steelerkeylargo
04-19-2019, 10:12 AM
Giving up a first-round pick for a QB who will likely sit behind Ben for the next 3-4 years? His rookie deal could well be up before he ever takes the field for us. No thanks.

Well a 2020 pick isn't playing this year and I would be shocked if Ben were to play (especially well) beyond the 2020 season.

Northern_Blitz
04-19-2019, 10:16 AM
I would never trade next year's first.

We're an I jury to Ben away from a very high draft pick IMO.

Steel Maniac
04-19-2019, 10:32 AM
I tell you what, if the Dolphins would swap their 1st round, 2020 draft pick for our first round 2020 pick and we'd throw in MR, id do that.

RuthlessBurgher
04-19-2019, 10:34 AM
I don't think Arizona will be able to get a first for Rosen. I think a second round pick is more likely. However, they could theoretically get a first round pick in return for Rosen if they packaged another pick with him him return.

For example, they might be able to get a late first rounder from the Chargers or Pats if the Cards sent back Rosen and third, or something like that.

I also saw a trade suggestion on ESPN which suggested a trade with Washington. Arizona would get Washington's mid first round pick and Rosen in exchange for Arizona's early 2nd round pick and Case Keenum. Kingsbury was a co-offensive coordinator and QB coach at Houston when Keenum was their QB, so they have worked well together before, and he'd be a quality veteran mentor for Kyler Murray.

Personally, I'm not giving up a prime pick for another QB when we used one just last year and we are not sure what we have with that one yet. Plus, Rosen's demeanor and personality tends to be somewhat off-putting to me, at least from afar.

RuthlessBurgher
04-19-2019, 10:46 AM
I tell you what, if the Dolphins would swap their 1st round, 2020 draft pick for our first round 2020 pick and we'd throw in MR, id do that.

What? The Dolphins are in the process of selling off all of their high priced vets...it looks like they might be tanking right now to be in position to possibly draft Tua Tagovailoa or Justin Herbert or Jake Fromm next year. Why would they want to swap 2020 first round picks in exchange for Mason Freaking Rudolph, when they probably should have a top 5 pick and might even end up with the first overall pick next year???

ikestops85
04-19-2019, 01:42 PM
What? The Dolphins are in the process of selling off all of their high priced vets...it looks like they might be tanking right now to be in position to possibly draft Tua Tagovailoa or Justin Herbert or Jake Fromm next year. Why would they want to swap 2020 first round picks in exchange for Mason Freaking Rudolph, when they probably should have a top 5 pick and might even end up with the first overall pick next year???

BOOM!!! :lol::lol:

Steel Maniac
04-19-2019, 01:47 PM
BOOM!!! :lol::lol:

Because their the Dolphins; the same team who's been the Pats b**ch for 20 years or more. Not saying they'd do it; but you have to make the attempt. Their the dolphins. LOL

oh............... BOOM!!

steelerkeylargo
04-19-2019, 01:56 PM
I would never trade next year's first.

We're an I jury to Ben away from a very high draft pick IMO.

Justifiable thinking.

RuthlessBurgher
04-19-2019, 02:10 PM
Because their the Dolphins; the same team who's been the Pats b**ch for 20 years or more. Not saying they'd do it; but you have to make the attempt. Their the dolphins. LOL

oh............... BOOM!!

For your information, Tom Brady has a losing record in games played in Miami.

Northern_Blitz
04-19-2019, 02:18 PM
For your information, Tom Brady has a losing record in games played in Miami.

The trick is not to let the facts get in the way of your opinions Ruthless.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/6d694ac2ce352c6aaff77b407b426a66/tumblr_o2xenstJuO1sl21koo1_500.gif

Steel Maniac
04-19-2019, 02:24 PM

https://66.media.tumblr.com/6d694ac2ce352c6aaff77b407b426a66/tumblr_o2xenstJuO1sl21koo1_500.gif

Not going to get sucked into Ruth's little game. It was merely a suggestion on an attempt. The end.

Steel Maniac
04-19-2019, 02:24 PM

And since your obviously a helper of ruth...

Northern_Blitz
04-19-2019, 02:31 PM
Not going to get sucked into Truth's little game. It was merely a suggestion on an attempt. The end.

And since your obviously a helper of truth ...

Fixed that for you :p

Love you Maniac, but thought this was funny.

fordfixer
04-19-2019, 02:34 PM

Booom!!!!!

SidSmythe
04-19-2019, 02:43 PM
I have ZERO interest in an UCLA QB who is where he should be. In the Southwest in a Dome.
Straight up I'd take RUDOLPH over Rosen ... Pittsburgh had a 1st round grade on Rudolph last yr.

RuthlessBurgher
04-19-2019, 02:45 PM

TruthlessBurgher wants you to know that Brady's overall W-L record in Miami for his career is 7-10, including losing 5 of the last 6 games he played down in the South Florida sun.

Providing factual information is a childish game.

Steel Maniac
04-19-2019, 02:50 PM
I have ZERO interest in an UCLA QB who is where he should be. In the Southwest in a Dome.
Straight up I'd take RUDOLPH over Rosen ... Pittsburgh had a 1st round grade on Rudolph last yr.

It’s hard to really give a fair evaluation given his situation last year. But he’s going to be on the block officially in a week or so.

Northern_Blitz
04-19-2019, 02:53 PM
TruthlessBurgher wants you to know that Brady's overall W-L record in Miami for his career is 7-10, including losing 5 of the last 6 games he played down in the South Florida sun.

Providing factual information is a childish game.

I would have believed that he wasn't as good against Miami as the rest if the league, but I wouldn't have put him below 500.

Thats a surprising stat.

RuthlessBurgher
04-19-2019, 02:59 PM
I would have believed that he wasn't as good against Miami as the rest if the league, but I wouldn't have put him below 500.

Thats a surprising stat.

The 7-10 record is only when the games are played in Miami.

Brady has only lost to the Dolphins one time in Foxboro.

So his overall record vs. the Dolphins is still an impressive 22-11.

It's pretty odd when a simple location change is the difference between a 15-1 record at home vs. Miami and a 7-10 away vs. Miami.

That's a striking difference.

Steel Maniac
04-19-2019, 03:19 PM
Today, 11:53 AM
Northern_Blitz
Hall of Famer

This message is hidden because Northern_Blitz is on your ignore list.
View Post
Remove user from ignore list

Steel Maniac
04-19-2019, 03:20 PM
Today, 11:59 AM
RuthlessBurgher
Legend

This message is hidden because RuthlessBurgher is on your ignore list.
View Post

Chadman
04-19-2019, 06:38 PM
Every damn thread. It’s getting old. Who cares who is on ignore or not? Just get over yourselves instead of ruining every thread with your squabble

hawaiiansteel
04-19-2019, 06:49 PM
Every damn thread. It’s getting old. Who cares who is on ignore or not? Just get over yourselves instead of ruining every thread with your squabble

I have never put anyone on ignore, even Crash. although in hindsight I probably should have...

Steel Maniac
04-19-2019, 06:52 PM
Chad, it’s not me. Your buddy follows me around from thread to thread. :smile:

Chadman
04-19-2019, 06:56 PM
And yet you constantly add posts showing who is on ignore. Every thread descends into it. And then people stop posting.

Chadman
04-19-2019, 07:00 PM
Back on topic, Chadman liked the selection of Rudolph as he was very good value selected where he was. Rosen was, rightly, the higher rated QB. And is more likely to be a success. If the Steelers could pick him up for a literal bargain, Chadman is onboard for that.

Steel Maniac
04-19-2019, 07:07 PM
Back on topic, Chadman liked the selection of Rudolph as he was very good value selected where he was. Rosen was, rightly, the higher rated QB. And is more likely to be a success. If the Steelers could pick him up for a literal bargain, Chadman is onboard for that.

I think some team like the skins will give them a first round pick for him. That’s the kind of thing Snyder is known for.

Northern_Blitz
04-19-2019, 07:35 PM

I'd be OK with this if the price was low. We already have 2 QBs we're supposed to be developing, but he's supposed to be better and I'd pick him up if the price was a low pick.

Then I'd say sorry to Dobbs who I'd cut through no fault of his own

fordfixer
04-19-2019, 07:50 PM
Today, 11:53 AM
Northern_Blitz
Hall of Famer

This message is hidden because Northern_Blitz is on your ignore list.
View Post

Are you going to continue to spam every thread like this?

hawaiiansteel
04-19-2019, 08:30 PM
The Giants seem unwilling to trade their second-round pick for Josh Rosen. - Ralph Vacchiano, SNY

This is likely the correct decision, as Rosen's tendency to party hard would be disastrous in New York. Some other teams might be willing to give up a second-rounder for Rosen, but you can apparently count out the Giants.

http://walterfootball.com/nflrumors

Steel Maniac
04-19-2019, 08:38 PM
Are you going to continue to spam every thread like this?

No.............are you going to continue to allow Ruth to do what he does? Never mind; we know the answer. On to football

Steel Maniac
04-19-2019, 08:40 PM
The Giants seem unwilling to trade their second-round pick for Josh Rosen. - Ralph Vacchiano, SNY

This is likely the correct decision, as Rosen's tendency to party hard would be disastrous in New York. Some other teams might be willing to give up a second-rounder for Rosen, but you can apparently count out the Giants.

http://walterfootball.com/nflrumors

I gotta give the Giants credit, there not allowing anyone to hardball them.

Oh wow
04-19-2019, 09:35 PM
I don’t trust Rosen

hawaiiansteel
04-20-2019, 01:05 AM
I don’t trust Rosen

he looked terrible last season, I know his OL sucked and it was his rookie year but still...

Steel Maniac
04-20-2019, 08:37 AM
he looked terrible last season, I know his OL sucked and it was his rookie year but still...

And no real WR's; Fitz is 289 years old..done. And the other guy was a typical rookie. I really think it is unfair to judge Rosen with all those things were against him last year. And I don't stick up for UCLA players but objectively, that's what I think about that.

RobinCole
04-20-2019, 12:11 PM
Wouldn’t trade Rudolph straight up for Rosen, let alone give up a first-round pick too. That, IMO, would be crazy.

Oh wow
04-20-2019, 12:53 PM
And no real WR's; Fitz is 289 years old..done. And the other guy was a typical rookie. I really think it is unfair to judge Rosen with all those things were against him last year. And I don't stick up for UCLA players but objectively, that's what I think about that.

I wasn’t impressed with him at UCLA.

USC quarterback who went to the Jets wasn’t much better either.

Usually those type of
QB’s at least will tear up the PAC 12.

Shawn
04-21-2019, 07:37 PM
First off I am by no means saying that Mason Rudolph is a bust. I think he has a lot to prove at the NFL level. TBD. However if you could trade Rudolph and our 2020 1st for Rosen. Would you? While ultimately I think Arizona will get a 2019 1st round offer, the thought of getting Rudolph (fits Kingsbury system) and a 2020 1st would have to appeal to Arizona. Meanwhile we get a QB who is almost universally graded higher than Rudolph and BB heir apparent. Absolutely. IMO, anyone thinking ILB over QB is thinking win now. For me? I think with Ben, and even a White on D, and the rest of our team...we are not a SB team. That's just me being honest. I think we are a playoff team. I've been screaming from the rooftops to go after a top notch QB for some time now, even selling the farm to get one. Do I like Rosen? Yes. I think he can be a terrific franchise QB in the right system with actual protection. He isn't right for Az. They can't protect him, he has no weapons. It wasn't a fair position to put him in. With all of that said, I would rather bundle picks and grab Haskins. I'll take my opinion on Haskins than any scout out there. I seen every snap. I have no idea what scouts are looking at but the dude is a stud. He is the best QB in this draft class and the best prospect since Mahomes. Do I think he is better than Murray for the next level? Absolutely. Do I think he is better than Rosen? Yup. I would rather see if he drops into position where we can trade up and grab him. If we miss, then go after Rosen. It's short sighted to grab a guy like Devin Bush if Haskins is within reach. You can't just think about winning with Ben. I do not think we have enough for a SB run. Could be wrong. But, I think Ben has won his last ring no matter who you draft. A QB looks towards the next 10-15 years. We will not win with a Bubby Brister, Mark Malone and it pains me to think about trying to find that guy after Ben retires.

Shawn
04-21-2019, 07:41 PM
No.............are you going to continue to allow Ruth to do what he does? Never mind; we know the answer. On to football
What is your deal man? You've been here for what a year? And you decide to lay into every rock solid poster we have on this board. Stop grinding axes and just talk football.

Shawn
04-21-2019, 07:48 PM
And no real WR's; Fitz is 289 years old..done. And the other guy was a typical rookie. I really think it is unfair to judge Rosen with all those things were against him last year. And I don't stick up for UCLA players but objectively, that's what I think about that. Boom! lol. You nailed it. See when you just talk football, you are a solid poster. You are correct. Rosen is a solid talent and it's unfair to judge a rookie QB without weapons or an OL. Do I like him as much as Haskins? Heck no. But, I do think he can be a franchise QB. But, he needs an OL, he needs WRs, and he needs a running game. The time is now to grab a QB to develop behind Ben. Rudolph? Seriously? True we haven't seen enough to evaluate him in the pros. But, I looked at his college film. Color me unimpressed. I do not think he has it. Dobbs? Heck no. We need a QB and we need a QB either this year or next.

Shawn
04-21-2019, 07:52 PM
I have never put anyone on ignore, even Crash. although in hindsight I probably should have... Shoot, I'm the only Crash fan that I know. But, at least he was interesting. No one gives two flips about who has who on ignore. What is this? Feels like my teen daughters fighting over make up and clothes. Drama...and not the interesting kind of drama.

hawaiiansteel
04-21-2019, 07:56 PM
First off I am by no means saying that Mason Rudolph is a bust. I think he has a lot to prove at the NFL level. TBD. However if you could trade Rudolph and our 2020 1st for Rosen. Would you? While ultimately I think Arizona will get a 2019 1st round offer, the thought of getting Rudolph (fits Kingsbury system) and a 2020 1st would have to appeal to Arizona. Meanwhile we get a QB who is almost universally graded higher than Rudolph and BB heir apparent.

no, I wouldn't.

much too high of a price, at this point Arizona would probably accept a 2nd rounder for Rosen.

Steel Maniac
04-21-2019, 07:59 PM
no, I wouldn't.

much too high of a price, at this point Arizona would probably accept a 2nd rounder for Rosen.

Cardinals are going to hold out to the very end for that 1st rounder.

hawaiiansteel
04-21-2019, 08:14 PM
Cardinals are going to hold out to the very end for that 1st rounder.

once they select Murray they will have lost all trading leverage...

Shawn
04-21-2019, 08:16 PM
no, I wouldn't.

much too high of a price, at this point Arizona would probably accept a 2nd rounder for Rosen. I think they draft Murray and hang on to Rosen. Let them battle it out unless the right price comes along. They want a first, no one will give it now. They all want to see how the draft will play out. After the draft, Rosen's price will go up. Why? Because teams who miss on a QB will come calling. It comes down to...do you believe Rosen is a first round talent? I personally do. Beat the rush, give up a first rounder flat for him, keep Rudolph and grease the wheel with Dobbs. That is only if...the Steelers can't make a move for Haskins. Rosen is worth a first.
'

Shawn
04-21-2019, 08:17 PM
once they select Murray they will have lost all trading leverage... Incorrect. Totally incorrect. Rosen's price will go up because teams who miss on getting their guy will come calling. They will likely get a first for him...but maybe not in the 2019 draft.

Shawn
04-21-2019, 08:19 PM
Cardinals are going to hold out to the very end for that 1st rounder. Agreed, if anything to save face. Shoot they traded up to grab him. They will not sell him for a second unless its completely clear they wont get a first. They will hang onto him until close to the trade deadline.

hawaiiansteel
04-21-2019, 08:23 PM
Shoot, I'm the only Crash fan that I know. But, at least he was interesting.

Crash is interesting for a short period of time, then he just ends up repeating himself over and over again. I have been on many message boards with him going back to the Trib days and never once saw it end well.

Shawn
04-21-2019, 08:30 PM
Crash is interesting for a short period of time, then he just ends up repeating himself over and over again. I have been on many message boards with him going back to the Trib days and never once saw it end well. LOL...don't I know it. Crash has a penchant for beating dead horses. With all of that said, I would take him over some I have seen posting here lately. But, hey I'm a sucker for some feverish debate, and he always provided that. Especially in the off-season. Maybe we can convince the mods to just allow Crash here just for the off-season.

Captain Lemming
04-21-2019, 10:12 PM
LOL...don't I know it. Crash has a penchant for beating dead horses. With all of that said, I would take him over some I have seen posting here lately. But, hey I'm a sucker for some feverish debate, and he always provided that. Especially in the off-season. Maybe we can convince the mods to just allow Crash here just for the off-season.

While being the farthest thing from a Crash "fan" I thoroughly enjoyed debating him.
Only downside is I spend WAY too much time debating him when he is here.

Captain Lemming
04-21-2019, 10:15 PM
Absolutely. IMO, anyone thinking ILB over QB is thinking win now. For me? I think with Ben, and even a White on D, and the rest of our team...we are not a SB team.
You know that's racist. :)

Captain Lemming
04-21-2019, 10:22 PM
What is your deal man? You've been here for what a year? And you decide to lay into every rock solid poster we have on this board. Stop grinding axes and just talk football.

This message is hidden because Nort...…...correction Shawn is on your ignore list.
View Post

Captain Lemming
04-21-2019, 10:46 PM
What is this? Feels like my teen daughters fighting over make up and clothes. Drama...and not the interesting kind of drama.

https://i.imgur.com/pxgNoCX.png

Captain Lemming
04-21-2019, 11:02 PM
I always believe that in the context of a debate the word "ignore" in this forum roughly translates into the Spanish expression:
http://sugarrayleonard.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/NOMASMEME1-365x259.jpg

Eich
04-22-2019, 09:04 AM
I don't understand Arizona wanting to trade Rosen. If they think he's worth a first, then why do they want to trade him to begin with? Shouldn't they be spending their draft fixing the rest of the team around him?

SteelBucks
04-22-2019, 09:11 AM
LOL...don't I know it. Crash has a penchant for beating dead horses. With all of that said, I would take him over some I have seen posting here lately. But, hey I'm a sucker for some feverish debate, and he always provided that. Especially in the off-season. Maybe we can convince the mods to just allow Crash here just for the off-season.

Does Crash post here? I see new posters from time to time and wonder if it’s him.

Eich
04-22-2019, 09:14 AM
Does Crash post here? I see new posters from time to time and wonder if it’s him.

His writing style is unique and obvious. I haven't seen any recent posts that remind me of that style.

hawaiiansteel
04-22-2019, 09:18 AM

the last suspected Crash sighting was under the name "BuzzNuter"

Sugar
04-22-2019, 09:41 AM
I don't understand Arizona wanting to trade Rosen. If they think he's worth a first, then why do they want to trade him to begin with? Shouldn't they be spending their draft fixing the rest of the team around him?

That's what I was thinking as well, but I think that because they have a new coach they will want a guy that fits his system.

Steel Maniac
04-22-2019, 10:16 AM

This is why bottom feeders remain as such. The owner pushed Klingsbury on them. He insisted on getting the next " Sean McVay". :rolleyes: There is nothing really wrong with Rosen; and any team with any sense in the same situation would be trading down and picking up picks to build a team around Rosen.

RuthlessBurgher
04-22-2019, 10:54 AM
If Cardinals trade Josh Rosen, what can they get?

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 22, 2019, 6:05 AM EDT

A year ago, the Cardinals packaged their first-round pick, third-round pick and fifth-round pick to move up in the draft and get quarterback Josh Rosen. His rookie year did not go well. But could things get even worse by the Cardinals trading him for far, far less draft capital than they paid to get him?

If the Cardinals select Kyler Murray with the first overall pick, that obviously means they believe Murray is their quarterback of the future, and Rosen is not. Which would presumably put Rosen on the trade block, where there’s no way the Cardinals would get back the value of picks they traded away for him last year.

Peter King suggests today that the Cardinals may settle for a third-round pick for Rosen, perhaps No. 78 overall from the Dolphins. Having to settle for just a third after spending a first, a third and a fifth on him last year would not reflect well on Cardinals General Manager Steve Keim’s decision-making.

However, a previous report from Joel Klatt of FOX said that the Cardinals have already turned down a second-round pick and are holding out for a first. If that’s the case, there’s no way they’ll take a third.

The best option for the Cardinals, assuming they take Murray may be just to keep Rosen as Murray’s backup. He’s due only $6.19 million over the next three years, which makes him cheap by backup quarterback standards. And it would be easier for Keim to spin his decision as, “Now we’ve got two talented young quarterbacks” than, “Last year I traded away a one, a three and a 5, and this year I’m getting only a three back.” Rosen and Murray may just be teammates this year.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/22/if-cardinals-trade-josh-rosen-what-can-they-get/

Oh wow
04-22-2019, 11:36 AM
The knock on Rosen is he doesn’t buy in until you answer all of his questions.

That’s great in a lot of industries but it rarely works in football unless you have the right fit.

Coaches and GM’s have too much on the line for some kid to keep asking why.

Not sure if that is what happened here or if they are just a terrible organization.

Also haven’t watched Rosen at all to see if he is any good at the pro level.

This could be a Geoff type deal where he has talent but everyone else is sub par.

hawaiiansteel
04-22-2019, 04:14 PM
Miami Dolphins:

4/22: No team in the NFL has spent more time in recent weeks researching Josh Rosen than the Dolphins. - Peter King, NBC

Rosen in South Beach sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. However, if the Dolphins can get away with giving up just a third-round pick for him, it might be worth it.

http://walterfootball.com/nflrumors/teamdraft

Steel Maniac
04-22-2019, 04:27 PM
Miami Dolphins:

4/22: No team in the NFL has spent more time in recent weeks researching Josh Rosen than the Dolphins. - Peter King, NBC

Rosen in South Beach sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. However, if the Dolphins can get away with giving up just a third-round pick for him, it might be worth it.

http://walterfootball.com/nflrumors/teamdraft

Dolphins and Skins were always the teams who I thought would be in play for him.

hawaiiansteel
04-26-2019, 09:35 PM
Incorrect. Totally incorrect. Rosen's price will go up because teams who miss on getting their guy will come calling. They will likely get a first for him...but maybe not in the 2019 draft.

the Cards got pick #62 in this draft (very late second) and a 5th round selection next year in 2020 for Rosen.

hawaiiansteel
08-17-2021, 06:15 PM
always fun to re-visit an old thread to see what people said:

49ers waiving quarterback Josh Rosen, the No. 10 pick of 2018 draft

https://www.nfl.com/news/49ers-waiving-quarterback-josh-rosen

Published: Aug 17, 2021

feltdizz
08-17-2021, 08:36 PM
always fun to re-visit an old thread to see what people said:

49ers waiving quarterback Josh Rosen, the No. 10 pick of 2018 draft

https://www.nfl.com/news/49ers-waiving-quarterback-josh-rosen

Published: Aug 17, 2021

Damn… that is his fourth team.

Now when people talk about a QB not getting anymore chances they should talk about Rosen not Haskins.

This is crazy, he must really rub management the wrong way.

feltdizz
08-17-2021, 08:37 PM
This is why bottom feeders remain as such. The owner pushed Klingsbury on them. He insisted on getting the next " Sean McVay". :rolleyes: There is nothing really wrong with Rosen; and any team with any sense in the same situation would be trading down and picking up picks to build a team around Rosen.

I think there is something really wrong with Rosen.. lol.

hawaiiansteel
08-17-2021, 10:42 PM
There is nothing really wrong with Rosen; and any team with any sense in the same situation would be trading down and picking up picks to build a team around Rosen.

you want to build a team around Rosen?

so glad you're not the GM of this team, I mean seriously are you ever right about anything?

feltdizz
08-18-2021, 09:41 AM
you want to build a team around Rosen?

so glad you're not the GM of this team, I mean seriously are you ever right about anything?

People wanted Rosen to be what he isn’t and that is a leader. Dude just doesn’t have it in his heart I guess.

Maybe its his eyes, he looks like a player you wouldn’t want to go to war with on Sundays.

Shawn
08-18-2021, 09:55 AM
People wanted Rosen to be what he isn’t and that is a leader. Dude just doesn’t have it in his heart I guess.

Maybe its his eyes, he looks like a player you wouldn’t want to go to war with on Sundays. A guy like Rosen is the best argument one can make for not believing in Haskins. Rosen had a true prime time arm (I mean a rare arm), vision, intelligence, and good accuracy. But, his love of the game is in question, his maturity in question, lack of leadership, teammates don't like him and likely won't rally around him. It's why talent alone can't get you there.

feltdizz
08-18-2021, 11:25 AM
A guy like Rosen is the best argument one can make for not believing in Haskins. Rosen had a true prime time arm (I mean a rare arm), vision, intelligence, and good accuracy. But, his love of the game is in question, his maturity in question, lack of leadership, teammates don't like him and likely won't rally around him. It's why talent alone can't get you there.

I get that but Rosen has been on 4 teams since being drafted in 2018 and he will probably get picked up again.

Haskins is just his second team and most people predict he might be out of the league if he doesn’t stick with us.

That seems odd to me since most scouts admit Haskins was over drafted because Snyder forced the team to take him.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-18-2021, 11:43 AM
A guy like Rosen is the best argument one can make for not believing in Haskins. Rosen had a true prime time arm (I mean a rare arm), vision, intelligence, and good accuracy. But, his love of the game is in question, his maturity in question, lack of leadership, teammates don't like him and likely won't rally around him. It's why talent alone can't get you there.

I remember reading something about him in college about him being very intelligent and outspoken against the college football system. The gist of it was that football and school do not mix well as they are essentially two full time jobs, and they should raise SAT requirements for football players. Comments like that would lead me to two conclusions.....he is not very popular amongst the rest of the college players, and he doesn't care. I would think that he would much prefer to overhaul the football system rather than play in it.

Shawn
08-18-2021, 12:06 PM
I remember reading something about him in college about him being very intelligent and outspoken against the college football system. The gist of it was that football and school do not mix well as they are essentially two full time jobs, and they should raise SAT requirements for football players. Comments like that would lead me to two conclusions.....he is not very popular amongst the rest of the college players, and he doesn't care. I would think that he would much prefer to overhaul the football system rather than play in it. That makes sense. In interviews, you can tell he doesn't have natural charisma. He appears aloof. He has a Jay Cutler vibe which is ironic considering that's who his game is compared to often.

feltdizz
08-18-2021, 12:30 PM
I remember reading something about him in college about him being very intelligent and outspoken against the college football system. The gist of it was that football and school do not mix well as they are essentially two full time jobs, and they should raise SAT requirements for football players. Comments like that would lead me to two conclusions.....he is not very popular amongst the rest of the college players, and he doesn't care. I would think that he would much prefer to overhaul the football system rather than play in it.

His HC in college said he doesn’t “buy in” to a philosophy until you answer all his questions.

Teams don’t have that type of patience…

and it could also simply be that Rosen isn’t that good. Everyone isn’t going to make it in the NFL.

whisper
08-18-2021, 02:12 PM
That makes sense. In interviews, you can tell he doesn't have natural charisma. He appears aloof. He has a Jay Cutler vibe which is ironic considering that's who his game is compared to often.

I think he's actually worse than Jay; he at least wasn't such a dick that teams dumped in within 1 year or less of signing him. I think Jay actually got some 2nd contracts along the way, maybe in Chicago? (Not that that team has shown 1 iota of getting the QB position right, until this year.)

Rosen must be deplorable. But I remember watching him play in some UCLA games, he led some impressive comebacks. I thought he was a keeper (but that was before I heard about his issues). That is why they say there is more to being a successful QB in the NFL than physical ability.

hawaiiansteel
08-18-2021, 08:37 PM
Josh Rosen unclaimed on waivers

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 18, 2021

After the 49ers got rid of quarterback Josh Rosen, the rest of the NFL passed on him as well.

Rosen went unclaimed on waivers today, according to Field Yates of ESPN.

That makes the 24-year-old Rosen an unrestricted free agent, free to sign with any team, but at this point it’s entirely possible that no team would sign him to so much as a minimum-salary contract to be a third-string quarterback. He has now been on the Cardinals, Dolphins, Buccaneers and 49ers and has yet to show anything indicating he belongs in the NFL.

That’s a stunning fall for a player who was the 10th overall pick in the 2018 NFL draft. Rosen looked like he had a lot of potential while playing at UCLA, but it just hasn’t worked for him in the NFL. His pro football career may be over.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/08/18/josh-rosen-unclaimed-on-waivers-2/

Shawn
08-19-2021, 05:06 AM
Josh Rosen unclaimed on waivers

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 18, 2021

After the 49ers got rid of quarterback Josh Rosen, the rest of the NFL passed on him as well.

Rosen went unclaimed on waivers today, according to Field Yates of ESPN.

That makes the 24-year-old Rosen an unrestricted free agent, free to sign with any team, but at this point it’s entirely possible that no team would sign him to so much as a minimum-salary contract to be a third-string quarterback. He has now been on the Cardinals, Dolphins, Buccaneers and 49ers and has yet to show anything indicating he belongs in the NFL.

That’s a stunning fall for a player who was the 10th overall pick in the 2018 NFL draft. Rosen looked like he had a lot of potential while playing at UCLA, but it just hasn’t worked for him in the NFL. His pro football career may be over.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/08/18/josh-rosen-unclaimed-on-waivers-2/ Sounds like it was less about talent and more about attitude.

Shawn
08-19-2021, 05:07 AM
I get that but Rosen has been on 4 teams since being drafted in 2018 and he will probably get picked up again.

Haskins is just his second team and most people predict he might be out of the league if he doesn’t stick with us.

That seems odd to me since most scouts admit Haskins was over drafted because Snyder forced the team to take him. I certainly don't disagree. It seems Rosen is difficult and doesn't buy in. Haskins was an immature young man drafted by a terrible organization. I think Haskins will make the most of his opportunity.

Northern_Blitz
08-19-2021, 06:28 AM
I certainly don't disagree. It seems Rosen is difficult and doesn't buy in. Haskins was an immature young man drafted by a terrible organization. I think Haskins will make the most of his opportunity.

Let's hope so.

The next few years will be a lot more fun if he can live up to his potential.

Shawn
08-19-2021, 06:40 AM
Let's hope so.

The next few years will be a lot more fun if he can live up to his potential. To not have to spend a first round pick on a crap shoot would be wonderful. I see Haskins has all the talent needed to be a franchise QB. He needs to clean up his decision making and that's just an experience issue. He is so confident in his arm he will force some balls and it will get him into trouble. Taking a year to just sit and learn behind a future HOF QB will do him a world of good.

Northern_Blitz
08-19-2021, 11:47 AM
To not have to spend a first round pick on a crap shoot would be wonderful. I see Haskins has all the talent needed to be a franchise QB. He needs to clean up his decision making and that's just an experience issue. He is so confident in his arm he will force some balls and it will get him into trouble. Taking a year to just sit and learn behind a future HOF QB will do him a world of good.

QB seems to be the hardest position in football (all sports?) to scout.

I think it's very, very hard to see if guys can deal with the speed of the NFL game, but who knows what the secret sauce is.

feltdizz
08-19-2021, 12:15 PM
QB seems to be the hardest position in football (all sports?) to scout.

I think it's very, very hard to see if guys can deal with the speed of the NFL game, but who knows what the secret sauce is.

Someone asked why Chase Young wasn’t struggling compared to Haskins back when we first acquired Haskins.. lol.

The answer was obvious.

Shawn
08-19-2021, 12:40 PM
Someone asked why Chase Young wasn’t struggling compared to Haskins back when we first acquired Haskins.. lol.

The answer was obvious. Outside of Chase Young being a generational talent and playing a different position? Some people are so ignorant.

Northern_Blitz
08-19-2021, 12:50 PM
Outside of Chase Young being a generational talent and playing a different position? Some people are so ignorant.

I try to err on the side of "never ascribe to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity"...but I'm not batting 1.000.

feltdizz
08-19-2021, 02:50 PM
Outside of Chase Young being a generational talent and playing a different position? Some people are so ignorant.

I think some folks refused to believe Washingtons FO had any blame in the Haskins fiasco.

Rivera admitted mishandling Haskins and we all know before Rivera that org was a dumpster fire.

Disco1981
08-19-2021, 03:17 PM
Someone LMAO...Never say their name, but someone!

Disco1981
08-19-2021, 03:21 PM
" Someone " or " everyone " in EVERY post...But really it's always NO ONE!

Northern_Blitz
08-19-2021, 04:18 PM
I think some folks refused to believe Washingtons FO had any blame in the Haskins fiasco.

Rivera admitted mishandling Haskins and we all know before Rivera that org was a dumpster fire.

I think the word "any" above makes this a strawman argument.

But maybe the difference is just in how we read things?

feltdizz
08-19-2021, 08:24 PM
I think the word "any" above makes this a strawman argument.

But maybe the difference is just in how we read things?

Go read the Steelers sing Haskins thread again.

Northern_Blitz
08-20-2021, 06:29 AM
Go read the Steelers sing Haskins thread again.

I read the first 12 pages.

http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50847-Steelers-sing-haskins?highlight=Sign+Haskins

Basically all the comments are saying low risk with potentially high reward

Lots of talent, but issues with maturity.

But hard to believe any NFL team (even a bad one) would throw away a potential franchise QB while still on a rookie contract. You have to have serious issues for that to happen.

There are some random "he's a bust and won't work out" posts. And some more that do what they can to take shots at Tomlin (shocking I know). But it is factually true that he was a bust for Washington, and the smart bet for just about any QB is that they won't work out. Hard to find a successful comp for a QB that made it is DHs situation.

Again, the vast majority of posts were "might not work out, but there's no risk, so might as well try".

Maybe it devolved to more over the top rhetoric layer in the thread?

feltdizz
08-20-2021, 06:46 AM
I read the first 12 pages.

http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50847-Steelers-sing-haskins?highlight=Sign+Haskins

Basically all the comments are saying low risk with potentially high reward

Lots of talent, but issues with maturity.

But hard to believe any NFL team (even a bad one) would throw away a potential franchise QB while still on a rookie contract. You have to have serious issues for that to happen.

There are some random "he's a bust and won't work out" posts. And some more that do what they can to take shots at Tomlin (shocking I know). But it is factually true that he was a bust for Washington, and the smart bet for just about any QB is that they won't work out. Hard to find a successful comp for a QB that made it is DHs situation.

Again, the vast majority of posts were "might not work out, but there's no risk, so might as well try".

Maybe it devolved to more over the top rhetoric layer in the thread?

yup.. page 15 and 16 is where it starts getting juicy.

Northern_Blitz
08-20-2021, 08:59 AM
yup.. page 15 and 16 is where it starts getting juicy.

Just read page 15 and 16 and it still seems more of the same.

He's a guy that blew a good chance even though it was a less than ideal situation.

But picking him up is a "no brainer" because it's as close as you can get to a no risk signing.

Maybe you can quote a specific post?

Shawn
08-20-2021, 09:55 AM

Rivera admitted mishandling Haskins and we all know before Rivera that org was a dumpster fire. I agree there have been a few posters who see Haskins as a throw away. They don't care if he is a no risk signing. They just don't want him as the QB of the Steelers. There seems to be a corelation between these posters hating Haskins and also hating Tomlin. Draw your own conclusions from that. Then I would say the bulk of the posters who are like well he is no risk high reward and willing to give him a chance (although most seem to not think he will amount to a hill of beans). Then there is you and me. We both believe he can be a franchise QB. I guess only time will tell.

Steel Maniac
08-20-2021, 10:20 AM
I dont see why anyone would hate Haskins. A low risk/no risk signing and he’s performed well enough so far. I think he’s shown us great potential and I’m personally wanting to see him with the starters in the last preseason game. Atleast for a series.

Shawn
08-20-2021, 10:29 AM
I dont see why anyone would hate Haskins. A low risk/no risk signing and he’s performed well enough so far. I think he’s shown us great potential and I’m personally wanting to see him with the starters in the last preseason game. Atleast for a series. People have motivations and agendas. I don't think it's my place to speculate on those agendas. But, it's pretty clear why some people wouldn't want Haskins as the face of the Steelers organization.

feltdizz
08-20-2021, 12:18 PM
I agree there have been a few posters who see Haskins as a throw away. They don't care if he is a no risk signing. They just don't want him as the QB of the Steelers. There seems to be a corelation between these posters hating Haskins and also hating Tomlin. Draw your own conclusions from that. Then I would say the bulk of the posters who are like well he is no risk high reward and willing to give him a chance (although most seem to not think he will amount to a hill of beans). Then there is you and me. We both believe he can be a franchise QB. I guess only time will tell.

People were talking like Washington was a QB Academy.

“Washington cut him so he must be terrible”

IMO its the opposite. I had a feeling he would show something if we picked him up. Still has a ways to go but I like what I’m seeing thus far.

Still not sure why some didn’t want any part of him when he was dirt cheap.

feltdizz
08-20-2021, 12:23 PM
I dont see why anyone would hate Haskins. A low risk/no risk signing and he’s performed well enough so far. I think he’s shown us great potential and I’m personally wanting to see him with the starters in the last preseason game. Atleast for a series.

I think people are starting to come around on Haskins but there are some who think he will never amount to anything.

That is fine. I had doubts about Josh Allen and others.

But for the price? How could anyone not want to take a chance on him?

Because he went to a party during covid? Stupid on his part but it wasn’t that serious of an offense.

hawaiiansteel
08-20-2021, 05:11 PM
I had doubts about Josh Allen

I watched Josh Allen play against the U of Hawaii several times and he never played that well.

I'm very surprised that he has turned out to be as good as he is now.