PDA

View Full Version : who is your sleeper pick

steeler_george
04-18-2019, 06:18 AM
Make a list of 5 players who you think the steelers might select in the first round that are not the favorites White, Bush, Hockenson, Murphy, Baker, Greedy.

1) Fant- another mismatch weapon was said to learning to block as well.
2) Lawrence- another big body to add into the rotation. maybe even have 4-3 packages
3) AJ Brown- he will have an impact on O and seal the deal once and for all about "brown"
4) Burns- I know 4 years in a row drafting an OLB, but I think he will be better than Dupree.
5) Gardener- he can play all over the DB

Others considered:

Tilley
Irv Smith TE
Jacobs RB
Simmons

( I ran out of time need to get to work!)

Disco1981
04-18-2019, 06:37 AM
I like Rock Ya Sin and Savage and Pratt...Not 1st round though...
Also RB Montgomery

Ernie
04-18-2019, 06:45 AM
#.1 Brian Burns-I watched an interview with this guy yesterday. Very smart, well spoken. He's got Steeler written all over him.
#2. David Sills- Steelers love this guy. One phrase to describe him... "He's a gamer".
#3. David Long- Another Mountaineer would can flat out play. He missed a year in college with a leg injury. Look for him to be a target in round 4.
#4.RB- Not very knowledgeable of this class... only thing i'll say here is I see them taking a RB in mid rounds...and they will have an impact in 2019.
#5. ILB- Drue Tranquill- For some reason this guy reminds me of TJ Watt. Has a motor that never quits. Also very high character guy. Maybe a target in round 3-4.

Ernie
04-18-2019, 06:46 AM
I like Rock Ya Sin and Savage and Pratt...Not 1st round though...
Also RB Montgomery

Montgomery is a guy I'd love to see them get. He's going to be a player.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-18-2019, 09:04 AM
I'll play. They will do what they can to go get Bush. Don't think White gets close enough without giving up next years 1. So...Assuming Devins, Hock, Metcalf, Sweat, Greedy gone. I'll also assume No DL or OL given Roster Structure & nobody falls.
I will pass on Murphy or Baker at 20.There isn't much more then 20 1st round prospects in this draft but probably twice as much 2-4 prospects...Lots of value there. So in this order.

Burns OLB (More than likely gone. My favorite pick if they can't get a Devin. Burns would see majority of defensive snaps in sub...they would find a way to get Watt, Dupree, Burns on field. Not discounting any OLB in first if graded.)

Fant TE (It's very odd to me no reported KC Tomlin proday or visit. Misdirection? Daniel & Bruener provide enough feedback? McDonald starter but they run tons of 12 & we need a #2. McDonald inline Fant Flex. Here's the eyebrow raiser to this scenario. Still no 16 game season logged for McDonald. Going to be 29. He goes down...All I'm saying.)

Harry WR (His game may translate best to NFL. I don't think there's many first round tape talent at WR that translates. I have him Top of my list.)

AJ Brown WR (See above. He's my #2.)

Ferrell OLB (Same as Burns about adding OLB. Brass had a looksie at Proday.)

SteelerMaine83
04-18-2019, 10:09 AM
1) Burns-OLB
2) Ferrell-OLB
3) Lawrence-DT (NT)
4) Adderly-S
5) Butler-WR

Now, my No Fant Rant. I understand the fascination for his outstanding athleticism and game-breaking potential. However, here are my negatives for him as a #1 (20, no less): 1) Widely reported that he had some friction with his coaches at Iowa (no link--just check out 5-10 reviews and you'll see this more than once or twice). My guess is that Hockensen took away some snaps and opportunities he had and he pouted--sounds familiar to someone whose initials are AB. Don't need another prima-donna. 2) Not a good blocker. Our number two TE needs to be willing and capable (with reps) of being a decent in-line blocker. Not sure he's big enough. 3) Over the past two years, 80 catchable balls, 11 drops. Hockenson had 50 catchable this past year with only one drop.

He reminds me of Eric Ebron--a total bust until last year. There are so many good players available at 20 (maybe not at our coveted positions) that we could find someone that would help us Day 1. Why reach for a player who is clearly talented but a boom or bust guy who probably needs some time before he'll really contribute.

No Fant, no Fant, no Fant....

RuthlessBurgher
04-18-2019, 11:03 AM
Stephen Denmark from Valdosta State could be this year's Brian Allen pick. He was one of our 30 designated visits to our Southside headquarters. Denmark, like Allen before him, is a converted wideout who is a completely raw player on defense but possesses a very rare combination of size and athletic traits that might be able to translate into an NFL corner or safety after an extended incubation period. Denmark has even less experience than Allen had coming out (and also played at a significantly lower level of competition than Allen from Utah), but he also appears to be bigger and more athletic as well. A complete lump of Play Doh pick for our DB coaches to work with. I see us using one of our 3 sixth round picks on this guy, even though he may not contribute at all for a couple years.

Rara
04-18-2019, 11:51 AM
Isaac Nauta in the fourth.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-18-2019, 12:01 PM
Well of course Hockenson would be ideal but won't be there at 20. Fant could be highest rated player left.

Have heard Zero on Fant character. Fant will have to learn to be complete coming into NFL. Since Fant put up 3 more reps then Hock with 1 1/4" longer arms & 2" inch longer wingspan...I wouldn't question play strength only being 2 lbs lighter. I would tab more willing which happens with coaching & paycheck.

If these are correct...
Fant 2018 Targets 60 w/ 4 Drop
Hock 2018 Targets 66 w/1 Drop

Not skewed for ugly.

I'm all for Fant if he's BPA. He may be one of the few left with a 1st round grade. Fant would be the #2 flex, slot, & motion with McDonald in 12. He would be the mismatch & keep the S CF working between the seam. Taking double off JuJu & creating a bigger mismatch underneath with a LB on McD. Steelers run a lot out of 12 which puts a S in box. DC have to pick their poison with Base or Nickel. Didn't have that with JJ McD combo.

Iron City Inc.
04-18-2019, 01:38 PM
5 first rounders. Simmons , Sweat, Lawrence, Harry, Johnson of Kentucky.
Simmons n Sweat have medicals that could put them in play. Lawrence more a 0 but could play 0 ,3 or 5 in our front. Harry fills a huge hole n so does Johnson.

steelerkeylargo
04-18-2019, 03:04 PM
Not sure how anyone drafted outside the 1st 2-3 rounds could possibly qualify as a sleeper. However. A few names that wouldn't shock me.

Cody Ford (1)
Lonnie Johnson (2)
Sean Bunting (2)
JJ Arcega Whiteside (2)

hawaiiansteel
04-18-2019, 03:18 PM
Why is Noah Fant's 14% career drop rate not seen as a major red flag?

Eric Ebron, a very comparable prospect, has had a career 10% drop rate and is regarded by almost everyone (Lions fans especially) as a major bust. Why then is a TE with limited blocking ability and a 14% drop rate regarded universally as a 1st round lock?

https://www.reddit.com/r/NFL_Draft/comments/b9mrk4/why_is_noah_fants_14_career_drop_rate_not_seen_as/

Oviedo
04-18-2019, 03:30 PM
Not sure Fant is a sleeper, but he is one I'd like to see us get

IMO...a true sleeper would be an offensive lineman in Round 1

Oviedo
04-18-2019, 03:33 PM
Why is Noah Fant's 14% career drop rate not seen as a major red flag?

Eric Ebron, a very comparable prospect, has had a career 10% drop rate and is regarded by almost everyone (Lions fans especially) as a major bust. Why then is a TE with limited blocking ability and a 14% drop rate regarded universally as a 1st round lock?

https://www.reddit.com/r/NFL_Draft/comments/b9mrk4/why_is_noah_fants_14_career_drop_rate_not_seen_as/

You do realize he made the Pro Bowl in 2018 don't you?????

If that is bad then I'd take that

fordfixer
04-18-2019, 03:55 PM
Not sure Fant is a sleeper, but he is one I'd like to see us get

IMO...a true sleeper would be an offensive lineman in Round 1
On a 4 and a half hour drive up to see my Dad in the hospital. I was listening to some talking Heads sports show on the radio, I’m not even sure who they were, but from what they said about Fant ( being some what of a head case and needing the Coaches to stroke his ego constantly or he sits on the bench and pouts) I think I would steer clear of him if they are right.

steelerkeylargo
04-18-2019, 04:04 PM
TE's are always over hyped pre-draft. Don't be surprised if Hockenson is the only top 50 TE

RuthlessBurgher
04-18-2019, 04:39 PM
TE's are always over hyped pre-draft. Don't be surprised if Hockenson is the only top 50 TE

Hockenson is worth the hype. He's a legit top 10 guy. My favorite player after Devin White. I've got an offensive man crush and a defensive man crush in the draft this year.

I suspect that a team will still buy into the Fant hype. Teams have drooled over size/speed freaks at the position like Vernon Davis multiple times over the years, and I imagine some team will do it again. I've seen some draftniks mocking Fant ahead of Hock, which I personally think is nutso, but considering how ga-ga some teams tend to get about a really impressive 40 time for a guy his size, it could certainly happen.

I could see New England possibly taking Irv Smith at #32 if they remain at that spot, because the combination of value and need seems about right at that point. But they rarely stay put and could just as easily trade up or down in the draft instead.

steeler_george
04-18-2019, 05:46 PM
Simmons n Sweat have medicals that could put them in play. Lawrence more a 0 but could play 0 ,3 or 5 in our front. Harry fills a huge hole n so does Johnson.

That dude .. Johnson! I hear he is all the chatter now. But is he really that good?

steeler_george
04-18-2019, 06:31 PM
Yeah Hardy is another one!

Captain Lemming
04-18-2019, 07:24 PM
#.1 Brian Burns-I watched an interview with this guy yesterday. Very smart, well spoken. He's got Steeler written all over him.

Sounds more like a stinkin Patriot to me.
If he being "Smart and well spoken" leads one to believe he's got "Steeler written all over him", we wouldnt be horrified anytime a Steeler has a mic in his face. :)

Captain Lemming
04-18-2019, 07:28 PM
On a 4 and a half hour drive up to see my Dad in the hospital. I was listening to some talking Heads sports show on the radio, I’m not even sure who they were, but from what they said about Fant ( being some what of a head case and needing the Coaches to stroke his ego constantly or he sits on the bench and pouts) I think I would steer clear of him if they are right.

And people thought Browns unique attributes would be tough to replace in a pass catcher. :)

I'm all in!!!

Ernie
04-18-2019, 08:02 PM
Sounds more like a stinkin Patriot to me.
If he being "Smart and well spoken" leads one to believe he's got "Steeler written all over him", we wouldnt be horrified anytime a Steeler has a mic in his face. :)

he fits the mold of the type of guy weve been drafting lately (Dobbs, sutton, watt, conner, juju etc).. but sadly you are right... he does more closely resemble a patriot.

Iron City Inc.
04-18-2019, 08:05 PM
That dude .. Johnson! I hear he is all the chatter now. But is he really that good?

He's good but imho not 1st round good. Had some great days (Citrus Bowl) n Georgia game. However he is more a 2nd rounder then 1st but it could happen. Very physical at los and best in press man vs off. I wrote on another thread that there are a bunch of guys in this draft who could go late 1 to early 3. Johnson is one of them. Love him at 83,like him at 66 , not bad at 52 and NO at 20.

RuthlessBurgher
04-19-2019, 03:03 PM
Report: Some teams have Montez Sweat off board because of heart condition

Posted by Josh Alper on April 19, 2019, 2:48 PM EDT

Doctors at the Scouting Combine in Indianapolis diagnosed former Mississippi State defensive end Montez Sweat with a heart condition.

Word at the time was that the issue was “low-risk” and that Sweat would not need further testing or examination at a medical re-check. Tom Pelissero of NFL Media reports that the issue involving a first-round talent has still been discussed extensively by teams as they prepare their draft boards.

Per the report, there are no other players in the NFL with the same diagnosed condition as Sweat. There are players at high levels in other sports who have the same issue and have not seen it stop them from being on the field.

The latter information has some teams comfortable with drafting Sweat and taking the necessary precautions, including having a defibrillator on hand, to deal with any problems. There are reportedly other teams that don’t share that feeling, however, and they have taken Sweat off their boards.

Given Sweat’s impressive play in college and strong workouts this offseason, the doubts of those teams probably won’t leave him waiting too long to hear his name next week.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/19/report-some-teams-have-montez-sweat-off-board-because-of-heart-condition/

Steel Maniac
04-19-2019, 03:13 PM
He's good but imho not 1st round good. Had some great days (Citrus Bowl) n Georgia game. However he is more a 2nd rounder then 1st but it could happen. Very physical at los and best in press man vs off. I wrote on another thread that there are a bunch of guys in this draft who could go late 1 to early 3. Johnson is one of them. Love him at 83,like him at 66 , not bad at 52 and NO at 20.

Great , thank you iron.

Steel Maniac
04-19-2019, 03:21 PM
Today, 12:03 PM
RuthlessBurgher
Legend

This message is hidden because RuthlessBurgher is on your ignore list.
View Post
Remove user from ignore list

RuthlessBurgher
04-22-2019, 11:08 AM

If Montez Sweat does drop down to 20 because teams get scared off by his heart condition, he'd look nasty in Black and Gold.

Could you imagine coming out of the draft with a haul like this?
1. OLB Montez Sweat
2. WR Hakeem Butler
3. S (Darnell Savage or Amani Hooker) and CB (Justin Layne or JoeJuan Williams)
4. ILB David Long

We could then add some options at RB & TE as well (such as Rock Armstead & Kahale Warring) before addressing depth on the o-line and d-line with our late round picks.