PDA

View Full Version : First Round Trade Up Scenarios: What would you be willing to give to move up from 20?

RuthlessBurgher
04-16-2019, 03:27 PM
With 10 picks total (including 4 picks within the top 83 overall selections), we have the ammunition to move up to get the type of impact player who might otherwise be completely out of range for us in a typical year.

Guys like Nick Bosa and Josh Allen would certainly look great in black and gold, but they are likely top 3 picks therefore aren't included since the cost to obtain them would be prohibitive.

Many assume that Devin White will come off the board within the top 5 overall picks or so, but I am including him because there could be a run on top notch d-linemen and edge rushers who get after the passer, allowing the top off-the-ball LB to fall back into the neighborhood of the 8th or 9th pick (Roquan Smith went to Chicago at #8 last year), which is where I would be willing to pounce, since both Detroit and Buffalo have expressed a willingness to possibly trade down.

Here is my currently list of trade up possibilities, and was I would be willing to give up to obtain each of them:

ILB Devin White: My favorite player in the draft. A sure thing in my mind. Complete player who could potentially impact how we are able to play defense going forward. Would potentially even wear the green dot on his helmet as a rookie, since he'd be our top ILB able to defend the run and pass with equal effectiveness.

I'd be willing to give up 2 Day Two picks to move up from 1.20 for a chance to draft Devin White.

Preferably, I'd like to split those two picks between this year and next year.
For instance:
a 2019 second round pick and a 2020 third round pick
or
a 2019 third round pick and a 2020 second round pick

After such a trade, we would still have 3 picks in the first 3 rounds this year (because of the extra 3rd rounder for AB) and also 3 picks in the first 3 rounds next year as well (because of the 3rd round comp pick we expect to get for Bell).

TE T.J. Hockenson: My second favorite player in the draft. Also a sure thing in my mind. Complete player who could potentially impact how we are able to play offense going forward. Would allow us to be a dominant 2 TE offense that should be able to run or pass with equal effectiveness. Hock, Vance, Juju, Moncrief, Conner...they all can block, they all can catch...Yes, please.

I'd be willing to give up 1 Day Two pick and 1 Day Three Pick to move up from 1.20 for a chance to draft T.J. Hockenson.

Similar to what we paid to move up to get Troy Polamalu and Santonio Holmes once upon a time. Hopefully a similar impact as well (since those trades resulted in a future Hall of Famer and a Super Bowl MVP).

OLB Montez Sweat: A productive college player who also tested off the charts athletically. The only way he could fall within reasonable range for a trade up would be if teams get scared off by his heart condition, but it sounds as if doctors have deemed it to be a relatively minor issue that should not impact his playing career. Pairing him with T.J. Watt going forward would be like having a latter day Lloyd and Greene meeting at the QB.

I'd be willing to give up 1 Day Two pick to move up from 1.20 for a chance to draft Montez Sweat.

ILB Devin Bush: Not as much of a sure thing in my eyes as Devin White. He could be great, and he certainly would be something we are currently missing in the middle of our defense, but I'm not willing to risk a large degree of prime draft capital to get a guy who checks many impressive boxes, but not necessarily all of the boxes like White or Hock.

I'd be willing to give up 2 Day Three picks to move up from 1.20 for a chance to draft Devin Bush.

OLB Brian Burns: The last of the legit first round 3-4 OLB edge rushers.

I'd be willing to give up 1 Day Three pick to move up from 1.20 for a chance to draft Brian Burns.

CB Byron Murphy and TE Noah Fant:

I'd be willing to take either of them at 1.20, but I'm not prepared to trade up for either one of them at this time.

Who would you want to trade up for in this draft, and what would you be willing to give up to make it happen?

Northern_Blitz
04-16-2019, 03:45 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if we end up trading up.

But, do you think it would be more valuable to move up with our first pick, or with our 2nd?

I don't know enough about the players, but this seems like it could be a better play.

According to drafttek, if we trade 52 OA we could move from:
- 20 to ~ 12 (gives us 12, 66, 83)

If we trade 66 OA we could move from:
- 20 OA to 14 OR (gives us 14, 52, 83)
- 52 OA to 29 OA (gives us 20, 29, 83)

If we traded 83 OA we could move from:
- 20 to ~16 (gives us 16, 52, 66)
- 52 to ~35 (gives us 20, 35, 66)
- 66 to ~47 (gives us 20, 47, 52)

Obviously it depends on how the draft breaks and the players that the team wants.

But, I kind of like the idea of trading back into the end of the first or having 3 picks in the top 52.

But if getting to 12 gives us White? I'd be tempted. I don't remember the Steelers have traditionally traded future draft picks, but I do think it would be great to have a dynamic ILB again.

SidSmythe
04-16-2019, 03:46 PM
The only player I'd leave #20 and give up a 2nd Round Pick would be for WHITE. I'd give up a 3rd for HOCK

steeler_george
04-16-2019, 05:31 PM
Ruth, are you sure you don't have me hacked? I was thinking the exact same thing last night for my next themed mock.." go for broke mock" and was thinking all day who and how much is it logical to trade up for.

I think the mock is deep in enough this year, that we actually draft what we need/want after the 4th round. If we go aggressive for White.
We can even use next years 3rd to trade for this years 4th.

Something like this:

1.20) trade for White
2.52) trade for White
3.66) trade for White
3.83) Justin Layne CB/ Hooker DB
4.122) Mack DL
4B) Sills/Gentry WR
5) /Moreau/Mack/Waco/Warring TE
6.) Morgan Stanley WR
6) Love RB
6) TY Johnson RB/ST
7) Johnson Toledo WR/ST

Iron City Inc.
04-16-2019, 07:10 PM
K Ruth since we're in the hypothetical here I'll take one shot at your favorite guy Mr White.

Tampa at 5 has a 1700 value there. That value is double our value at 20 which is 850. So here goes:

Our 1st, our 6th ,number 192 valued at 14 and our 2020 1st rounder a complete wild card at this point. So two 1's and a 6.

From Tampa their 1st and Tampa's 3rd rounder in 2020.

They have a big need at corner and would likely get the top corner at 20 this year and a sweetener with the extra 6th we provide.

For us I would trade back a few spots with our early 6th rounder and pick up an extra 6th or 7th in 2020 giving us a 2 3 3 3 4 5 6 6 7 next year. That's enough ammo to trade up for another 2nd rounder next year or put a large package together to get a 1st if need be a year from now.
Well it's a long shot but could happen. Stranger stuff has happened on draft day.

hawaiiansteel
04-16-2019, 07:27 PM
K Ruth since we're in the hypothetical here I'll take one shot at your favorite guy Mr White.

Tampa at 5 has a 1700 value there. That value is double our value at 20 which is 850. So here goes:

Our 1st, our 6th ,number 192 valued at 14 and our 2020 1st rounder a complete wild card at this point. So two 1's and a 6.

From Tampa their 1st and Tampa's 3rd rounder in 2020.

Tampa Bay would never accept that deal, and they certainly wouldn't give us back their 3rd rounder.

Iron City Inc.
04-16-2019, 08:09 PM
Tampa Bay would never accept that deal, and they certainly wouldn't give us back their 3rd rounder.

What a buzz kill. There are no "never happens" on draft day. A bunch of odd stuff happens on draft day all the time you know that. This is a negotiation process. Tampa saying no to a trade like that is not the end all. So lets try it this way Tampa says no. I would continue to attempt a trade of that nature as long as White is still there. Denver misses on Hoskins n White is there at 10. I would offer them the same. Perhaps they want Lock but not at 10 ,they could pull the trigger. It's a hypothetical trade scenario. Work with me here we need to give Ruth some hope.

hawaiiansteel
04-16-2019, 08:34 PM
What a buzz kill. There are no "never happens" on draft day. A bunch of odd stuff happens on draft day all the time you know that. This is a negotiation process. Tampa saying no to a trade like that is not the end all. So lets try it this way Tampa says no. I would continue to attempt a trade of that nature as long as White is still there. Denver misses on Hoskins n White is there at 10. I would offer them the same. Perhaps they want Lock but not at 10 ,they could pull the trigger. It's a hypothetical trade scenario. Work with me here we need to give Ruth some hope.

I'm just saying Tampa Bay wouldn't include their 3rd round pick.

if you want to make the trade, Tampa's 1.5 for our 1.20 and our next year's #1 is more realistic.

SteelBucks
04-16-2019, 10:56 PM
ILB Devin White: My favorite player in the draft. A sure thing in my mind. Complete player who could potentially impact how we are able to play defense going forward. Would potentially even wear the green dot on his helmet as a rookie, since he'd be our top ILB able to defend the run and pass with equal effectiveness.

If Devin White is a sure thing, and I think he is, I’d be on the phone with the Raiders to move up to #4 (IMO the Bucs will take him at 5). It would be a high price tag to move up 16 spots but I’d rather fix the ILB problem once and for all.

Git ‘Er Dun!!!

hawaiiansteel
04-17-2019, 12:23 AM
If Devin White is a sure thing, and I think he is, I’d be on the phone with the Raiders to move up to #4 (IMO the Bucs will take him at 5). It would be a high price tag to move up 16 spots but I’d rather fix the ILB problem once and for all.

Git ‘Er Dun!!!

are you willing to trade all 10 of our draft picks in order to move up to #4 and pick Devin White?

because that's what it would take...

SteelBucks
04-17-2019, 07:00 AM
are you willing to trade all 10 of our draft picks in order to move up to #4 and pick Devin White?

because that's what it would take...

It wouldn’t take all 10 but I’d rather have one sure thing than a couple of “maybe’s” and some reaches to fill out a roster.

I’m sure that everyone on here is glad that I don’t run this organization. ;)

Ernie
04-17-2019, 08:17 AM
If we are going to pay what it costs to move up into the top 7-8, it'd better be for a franchise QB. There are quality ILBs available throughout the first 3-4 rounds. (value per round)

SteelBucks
04-17-2019, 08:48 AM
If we are going to pay what it costs to move up into the top 7-8, it'd better be for a franchise QB. There are quality ILBs available throughout the first 3-4 rounds. (value per round)

It’s a weak draft at ILB. After White and Bush, the drop off is significant.

Steel Maniac
04-17-2019, 10:19 AM
The key is how much will it take to get up to get Bush; that is the question now. White will be gone at # 5.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-17-2019, 10:35 AM
To get White will cost our #20 & a 19 pick at #52 or #66 AND our 2020 1st. That's a top 5 pick...A Bidders pick. Don't see that happening coming from #20.

Draft is light top end heavy day 2 early 3. You might get a day 2 guy sitting at #20.

Now...Saying that..I watch tape on both and I'm ok with that. Bush played far more in space then White. He's played more of the today's NFL backer in college. If the Steelers feel he is that guy who can QB that D...I'm all in for going to get him. I get the feeling the Steelers Do believe he is the guy & they will try...HARD!

What sucks is they have to forecast as the draft unfolds & then make their move. If Bush Falls to #9 & they feel he is their guy...Go get him. Maybe there already has been talk with Buf after AB deal went bad.

Buf Gets:
#20 1st
#52 2nd
#175 6th
2020 #3

Pit Gets:
#9 1st
#131 4th

Based on Prodays & Visits:
1.9 Bush ILB
3.66 Layne/Johnson/Bunting CB
3.83 Boykin/Jennings WR
4.122 Moreau/Oliver/Mack TE
4.131 Edwards S
5.141 Brailford/Davis OLB
6.192 Webber/Snell/Homer RB
6.207 Cominsky/Cowart DE
7.219 Bumfield G

Steel Maniac
04-17-2019, 10:42 AM
The first land mine area for Bush is # 10 & 11 where the Broncos and Bengals are. Bengals have a need for Bush and that, plus sticking it to us because they know we want Bush is all the reason they need to pull the trigger. If I were a betting man, I'd say that's where Bush would end up. But..if by some miracle he were to get past the Bengals, then we'd have a real trade up shot to get him.

Trading up to # 9 to get Bush might require to much capital for Colbert's liking.

Ernie
04-17-2019, 11:03 AM
It’s a weak draft at ILB. After White and Bush, the drop off is significant.

That's what I hear... but then again I've also heard stuff like Mack Wilson being compared to CJ Mosley.

Northern_Blitz
04-17-2019, 11:14 AM
To get White will cost our #20 & a 19 pick at #52 or #66 AND our 2020 1st. That's a top 5 pick...A Bidders pick. Don't see that happening coming from #20.

Draft is light top end heavy day 2 early 3. You might get a day 2 guy sitting at #20.

Now...Saying that..I watch tape on both and I'm ok with that. Bush played far more in space then White. He's played more of the today's NFL backer in college. If the Steelers feel he is that guy who can QB that D...I'm all in for going to get him. I get the feeling the Steelers Do believe he is the guy & they will try...HARD!

What sucks is they have to forecast as the draft unfolds & then make their move. If Bush Falls to #9 & they feel he is their guy...Go get him. Maybe there already has been talk with Buf after AB deal went bad.

Buf Gets:
#20 1st
#52 2nd
#175 6th
2020 #3

Pit Gets:
#9 1st
#131 4th

Based on Prodays & Visits:
1.9 Bush ILB
3.66 Layne/Johnson/Bunting CB
3.83 Boykin/Jennings WR
4.122 Oliver/Mack TE
4.131 Edwards S
5.141 Brailford/Davis OLB
6.192 Webber/Snell/Homer RB
6.207 Cominsky/Cowart DE
7.219 Bumfield G

I think it's more like that 5 OA pick is priceless.

If I'm a GM there is no way I move from 5 to 20. You expect to have a strong chance at an all-pro (maybe a HOF) player at 5.

Huge trades like that get GMs fired.

Better to pick at 5 and bust than watch someone else grab a HOF player with your pick while you grab a few average to above average starters.

I can understand going from 5 to 8,maybe even 10. But my guess is that the quality drops off dramatically by 20.

Oviedo
04-17-2019, 11:33 AM
Instead of giving up picks to move up in Round 1, would you consider trading our 2nd Round pick to the Jets to get Darron Lee. That way we keep our 1st.Or would you trade our 1st to the Jets for Darron Lee and their 3rd Round pick?????Lee has at least proven he can play in the NFL. The Devins are just projections.Thoughts???

RuthlessBurgher
04-17-2019, 12:15 PM
The key is how much will it take to get up to get Bush; that is the question now. White will be gone at # 5.

Folks keep saying that, but should it be considered gospel that Tampa is indeed taking Devin White at #5 when there are so many strong pass rushing prospects in the top 10 both on the edge as well as inside at DT?

Okay, let's say that Kyler Murray goes #1 as most people expect. Dynamic QB prospects tend to come off the board before anyone else just about every year. Recent successes for guys like Baker Mayfield and Pat Mahomes seem to make this probability quite likely.

Next you have Quinnen Williams, Nick Bosa, and Josh Allen, depending on your personal preference. Virtually everyone has these 3 guys coming off the board in the 2-4 slots in some order.

Let's say Bosa goes to SF at #2, Allen goes to NYJ at #3, and Williams goes to OAK at #4. If Oakland would prefer an edge rusher to replace Khalil Mack rather than the DT Williams, they could opt for someone like Montez Sweat or Rashan Gary here instead (and if that happened, then Tampa at #5 would likely run their card with Quinnen Williams' name on it up to the podium immediately), but for the sake of argument, let's assume that Bosa, Allen, and Williams all come off the board in picks 2-4.

Then comes Tampa at #5. Their new coach is Bruce Arians. What do we know about Arians? He loves big armed pocket passers. Current Tampa QB Jameis Winston is a big armed pocket passer. But he is currently playing on the 5th year option of his rookie deal with a cap hit of $20.9M, and will be an unrestricted free agent in the offseason. Is he worth a big money extension? Is he worth a $28M one year franchise tag for QB's in 2020, which would then rise to between $33-34M for a second tag in 2021? It seems to me that he's essentially an average NFL starter at best who possesses maddening inconsistencies to his game, and also has a history of off-the-field issues which resulted in a suspension already. And during that suspension, it seemed like the Tampa offense tended to be more dynamic under Ryan Fitzpatrick than they were once Winston returned to the lineup. With the ballooning QB salaries these days, you don't want to tie up a large percentage of your team's cap on QB salary if that QB you are paying is not a bona fide franchise QB type, and Jameis doesn't appear to be that right now. Granted, his game might blossom under Arians, since the kid is talented and Bruce tends to get the most out of his QB's, so you never know. But the blueprint for immediate success in the NFL these days tends to be to have a rookie QB on an inexpensive rookie deal, and then build up the rest of the team around him. BA could do just that if he drafts a big armed pocket passer such as Dwayne Haskins or Drew Lock. You never know...

But, let's assume that Tampa does not take a QB and they opt for defense like most people expect. Is taking an off-the-ball LB in the top 5 the best allocation of resources? Would it be a better idea for them to draft someone for their front 4 to get after the QB as opposed to a sideline-to-sideline LB? Their front 4 right now features Gerald McCoy and Vita Vea inside at DT and Jason Pierre-Paul and Carl Nassib outside at DE. Gerald McCoy is currently 31 years old and entering his 10th NFL season. The Bucs have the last amount of cap space in the entire league right now ($1.8M...not enough to sign their draft class without some cuts or major restructuring). McCoy is scheduled to count for $13M against the cap this year, $12.5M against the cap next year, and $12.9M against the cap the year after that. Plus, all of the guaranteed money in his current deal has already been paid out, so there would not be any dead money cap hit if he were traded or released. There have been rumors that he is not long for Tampa, since he has not shown up to Tampa's offseason program yet and Bruce has been referring to him with a lot of "if's." He's only had 6 sacks in each of the last two seasons. If they traded or released him, they would save $13M against their tight cap immediately, and he could potentially be replaced with a young, dynamic DT in Ed Oliver, who was really productive in college (in spite of numerous triple teams as a NT at Houston), and his testing numbers showed that it appeared that he could be athletic enough to even play LB at the next level (the last guy I recall moving that well at this size was Levon Kirkland). Putting the fireplug Oliver as the penetrating 3-technique DT next to the space-eating, run-stuffing NT Vita Vea would give them a top notch young interior d-line pair for years to come. Jason Pierre-Paul just reached his 30th birthday and is also entering his 10th NFL season, and is scheduled to cost $14.9M against the cap this year and $12.5M against the cap next year. However, there would be a $7.5M dead money cap hit if they traded or cut JPP, and he appears to be in the midst of somewhat of a career renaissance anyway following his fireworks accident, since he had 12.5 sacks last year in his first season in Tampa. They won't part ways with JPP now, but they could use another edge rusher opposite him, since Nassib was a waiver claim from Cleveland who is really "just a guy" as opposed to a true impact player. If they fall in love with the athleticism dripping from guys like Montez Sweat or Rashan Gary, either guy easily could be Tampa's pick as well. But if I had to guess what makes the most sense for the Bucs organization, I think it would actually be prudent to move McCoy, free up $13M against the cap, and replace him with Houston DT Ed Oliver.

Then comes the Giants next. They certainly could go QB here with someone like local kid Drew Haskins or possibly even Drew Lock. Or, they could address their defensive deficiencies at #6, and then hope to land Duke QB Daniel Jones at #17, since he is very similar to Eli, and Jones' head coach David Cutcliffe has worked extensively with the Manning family for years and years. They also could use pass rush in the worst way. Montez Sweat or Rashan Gary make complete sense here if they don't opt for the early QB. Both are crazy athletic, but I prefer Sweat (as long as his heart checks out with team doctors), since he seemed to translate that athleticism to greater production at Mississippi State than Gary had up in Ann Arbor.

And then comes Jacksonville at #7. They don't need another off-the-ball LB type with guys like Myles Jack and Telvin Smith already in the fold. Their biggest need seem to be OL to protect their investment in Foles and also to open up holes for Fournette. They likely opt for the top OL prospect on their board.

Finally, we land at Detroit at #8 and Buffalo at #9. Both had expressed a willingness to trade down (the Lions have publicly stated that they would love to move down and are open for business at #8, and Buffalo was apparently willing to drop from #9 to #20 in an AB trade before additional contract demands and extreme douchebaggery threw a wrench into that process). I would be willing to give Detroit a 2nd and a 3rd round pick to move up from #20 to #8 for Devin White. The numbers seem to work out (1.20 + 2.52 + 3.83 = 1405 points and 2.8 = 1400 points). They threw us back a 7th round pick as well, the numbers would be nearly perfect (we actually already own Tampa's 7th rounder right now, but they could theoretically also send us Arizona's pick at the very top of round 7 that the Bucs currently own). Actually, I would prefer to split my picks between two drafts (even if that means sacrificing an extra early 7th round pick this year), so I'd be willing to give the Lions our 2nd this year and a 3rd next year (or if they prefer, a 3rd this year and a 2nd next year...whatever).

Just saying...it's still possible. One can dream, can't he?

1. ARZ QB Kyler Murray
2. SF EDGE Nick Bosa
3. NYJ EDGE Josh Allen
4. OAK DT Quinnen Williams
5. TB DT Ed Oliver
6. NYG EDGE Montez Sweat
7. JAX OT Jawaan Taylor
8. (trade) PIT LB Devin White

RuthlessBurgher
04-17-2019, 12:17 PM
Instead of giving up picks to move up in Round 1, would you consider trading our 2nd Round pick to the Jets to get Darron Lee. That way we keep our 1st.Or would you trade our 1st to the Jets for Darron Lee and their 3rd Round pick?????Lee has at least proven he can play in the NFL. The Devins are just projections.Thoughts???

I would trade a pick on the 3rd day of the draft (not 3rd round...3rd day) for Darren Lee. No more.

Iron City Inc.
04-17-2019, 01:01 PM
I would trade a pick on the 3rd day of the draft (not 3rd round...3rd day) for Darren Lee. No more.

I'm with you on the price for Lee.
I would trade down a few spots in 1 and back up in 2 this year but that's just me.
There are always some surprises on draft day. Medical questions on Sweat and Gary could have them slipping a bit on draft day. Simmons is a top 10 talent who is hurt n he likely could fall into round 2. Someone always comes flying up draft boards ( QB Jones) could be that guy this year causing 4 qb's to be off the board before pick 20. That could work in our favor.

steeler_george
04-17-2019, 01:23 PM
Now you have me intreged about TB and Winston. If TB did take a QB, would NYG, Denver, Miami, etc willing to trade for him, thus It would make another player fall off the draft board. Or is the same thing.

steeler_george
04-17-2019, 01:46 PM
I would go all out to get White, he will impact our defense big time. We can then move Barron to safety. Right there is two picks, that we assume we would probably use to fill those positions if we didn't get White.

say we trade our top 1.20, 2.52. 3.83 picks

white
3.66 Layne CB
4.152 Mack DL
6)
6)
7)

There is enough depth at WR ,TE, RB, and ST to pick one up between 5-7.

Without white:
1) Murphy
2)Wilson
3) Savage
3) Boykin
4) Mack DL
5) TE
6) RB
6)
6)
7)

steeler_george
04-18-2019, 06:24 AM
Some mocks I have seen lately show White in the 8-10 range and Detroit and Buffalo are rumoured to want to trade back.

Hey Ruth do you remember your previous mock were Hockenson fell to us and then we traded back in and selected Bush.
Can you see that happening if we go BPA at #20 ( Burns) and then us coming back into the first for (Murphy). I am just using those names as an examples.

SteelBucks
04-18-2019, 01:58 PM
Some mocks I have seen lately show White in the 8-10 range and Detroit and Buffalo are rumoured to want to trade back.

Hey Ruth do you remember your previous mock were Hockenson fell to us and then we traded back in and selected Bush.
Can you see that happening if we go BPA at #20 ( Burns) and then us coming back into the first for (Murphy). I am just using those names as an examples.

If White falls to 8, I’m calling Buffalo immediately to work out a trade.

hawaiiansteel
04-18-2019, 02:17 PM
Yes, the Steelers could trade into the Top 10. Consider the Jets and Lions

Steeler fans write off the big move up because the trade chart says it is too expensive. But there is more than one chart to consider!

By DropTheHammer Apr 18, 2019

Big trades happen in the NFL draft. But how is that possible if everyone uses the same chart to measure value and simple arithmetic says someone lost out on the deal? The answer is simple. They don’t use the same chart. Teams with many needs to fill, or needs they can fill just as well later in the draft, will put a very different value on very high picks than a team in search of a particular star or a shot at a franchise QB. The well known Jimmy Johnson NFL Draft Trade Value Chart looks at transactions from the star-oriented point of view. To see the other side you need to look at the somewhat more obscure Harvard NFL Draft Career Value Chart.

to read rest of article:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/4/18/18307003/how-the-steelers-could-trade-into-the-top-10-consider-the-jets-and-lions-2019-nfl-draft-news

SteelBucks
04-18-2019, 02:25 PM

Steeler fans write off the big move up because the trade chart says it is too expensive. But there is more than one chart to consider!

Big trades happen in the NFL draft. But how is that possible if everyone uses the same chart to measure value and simple arithmetic says someone lost out on the deal? The answer is simple. They don’t use the same chart. Teams with many needs to fill, or needs they can fill just as well later in the draft, will put a very different value on very high picks than a team in search of a particular star or a shot at a franchise QB. The well known Jimmy Johnson NFL Draft Trade Value Chart looks at transactions from the star-oriented point of view. To see the other side you need to look at the somewhat more obscure Harvard NFL Draft Career Value Chart.

to read rest of article:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/4/18/18307003/how-the-steelers-could-trade-into-the-top-10-consider-the-jets-and-lions-2019-nfl-draft-news

I read the article earlier today. The Jets trade makes no sense but I could see a swap with the Lions.

Steel Maniac
04-18-2019, 02:39 PM
I agree; I could see a move up /swap with the Lions.

RuthlessBurgher
04-18-2019, 02:48 PM
Bob Quinn could see the Lions move down, but not up

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 18, 2019, 2:20 PM EDT

Don’t expect the Lions to move up in the first round of the draft next week. But they might move down.

Lions General Manager Bob Quinn said today that he could see himself moving down, but he doesn’t think he has the ammunition to move up any higher than where the Lions currently are, at No. 8.

The Lions have one pick in each of the first five rounds, and two picks in the sixth and seventh rounds. Quinn wouldn’t mind getting more than that, and it’s easy to envision him taking a deal if someone late in the first round wants to move into the Top 10 and offers the Lions some additional picks for a first-round swap.

Quinn said he’s expecting one or two quarterbacks to go within the top seven picks. If a highly coveted quarterback is still around at No. 8, that might lead to a good opportunity for the Lions to move down.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/18/bob-quinn-could-see-the-lions-move-down-but-not-up/

RuthlessBurgher
04-18-2019, 02:53 PM

to read rest of article:

That article suggests sending a 3rd and a 5th round pick to Detroit to get Devin White if he's available at #8.

Our original excitement regarding the potential AB trade to Buffalo was the swap of 1st round picks from #20 to #9, where we could theoretically have a shot at Devin White.

Could you imagine if the Lions would accept the 3rd and 5th round picks that we got from Oakland in order to move up from #20 to #8, and the AB trade ultimately did result in us being able to trade up for Devin White?

It would be a roundabout way to ultimately get to the same place...that would be crazy.

Northern_Blitz
04-18-2019, 02:56 PM
That article suggests sending a 3rd and a 5th round pick to Detroit to get Devin White if he's available at #8.

Our original excitement regarding the potential AB trade to Buffalo was the swap of 1st round picks from #20 to #9, where we could theoretically have a shot at Devin White.

Could you imagine if the Lions would accept the 3rd and 5th round picks that we got from Oakland in order to move up from #20 to #8, and the AB trade ultimately did result in us being able to trade up for Devin White?

It would be a roundabout way to ultimately get to the same place...that would be crazy.

I would make that trade if it were available.

SteelBucks
04-18-2019, 03:02 PM

It’s a dream scenario. I can’t wait for the 25th to roll around.

Ernie
04-18-2019, 07:55 PM
3rd and a 5th? absolutely

steeler_george
04-18-2019, 08:31 PM
sorry ruth, but I want to ask you/ board....

if we stay pat at 20 and select Burns or Bush...and Murphy is still there after 27, would you trade back in the first for him, using our 2nd and one of our 3rds?

hawaiiansteel
04-18-2019, 09:03 PM

if we stay pat at 20 and select Burns or Bush...and Murphy is still there after 27, would you trade back in the first for him, using our 2nd and one of our 3rds?

I wouldn't because imo there are some very good CBs that could be available in the 2nd round such as Justin Layne, Julian Love, Rock Ya-Sin, Lonnie Johnson Jr., Amani Oruwariye, Trayvon Mullen and Sean Bunting.

steeler_george
04-19-2019, 06:02 AM
I wouldn't because imo there are some very good CBs that could be available in the 2nd round such as Justin Layne, Julian Love, Rock Ya-Sin, Lonnie Johnson Jr., Amani Oruwariye, Trayvon Mullen and Sean Bunting.

Although I mention it, I was thinking the same. Does that prove that picking a CB in the first round at 20 is not worth it? Trade back maybe? I am thinking if Fant is there, would NE or Raiders willing to trade up for him, or even if Lock is there. How ironic would it be if the Raiders trade their 1.27 and 2.35 for our 1.20 and the picks they gave us in the AB deal 3.66+5.141. ( so we that trade flips to AB+20=27+2nd round pick) Instead of that 5th maybe trade 2 of our 6 roundes.

1.27)
2.35)
2.52)
3.83)
4.122)
6.207)
7.)

Maybe after that trade they trade back up in the first. ( I am trying to keep back to the subject and not to hijack the the thread)

Sword
04-19-2019, 08:41 AM
How many top draft picks in the first 20 are bust over the last 20 years? many .....to me it's not that big deal to give up a 4th or 5th to get more
picks . You do not have to give away the bank to get the 4 or 5 pick....at least you shouldn't have too....could there be more to the AB deal that extends on draft day that nobody know about? would that be against rules? if just word agreements were in play?

Ernie
04-19-2019, 09:08 AM
How many top draft picks in the first 20 are bust over the last 20 years? many .....to me it's not that big deal to give up a 4th or 5th to get more
picks . You do not have to give away the bank to get the 4 or 5 pick....at least you shouldn't have too....could there be more to the AB deal that extends on draft day that nobody know about? would that be against rules? if just word agreements were in play?

If we are going to trade up into the top 5... it had better be for Ben's heir apparent (if Dobbs and Rudolph aren't that guy). With the signing of Mark Barron, we do not need to be desperate for an ILB. ILB IMO is not even the top need on defense (see OLB, S). If a solid ILB is there in rounds 2-4, we should pull the trigger.

RuthlessBurgher
04-19-2019, 11:17 AM

It would certainly be tempting to come out of the draft with 2 bona fide first round talents on defense at LB and CB, and still have 1 third, 1 fourth, 1 fifth, 3 sixths, and 1 seventh to address other needs. It all depends how high our F.O.'s grade on Murphy is compared to that second tier of CB prospects HISteel mentioned in his subsequent post.

Disco1981
04-19-2019, 12:27 PM
Although I mention it, I was thinking the same. Does that prove that picking a CB in the first round at 20 is not worth it? Trade back maybe? I am thinking if Fant is there, would NE or Raiders willing to trade up for him, or even if Lock is there. How ironic would it be if the Raiders trade their 1.27 and 2.35 for our 1.20 and the picks they gave us in the AB deal 3.66+5.141. ( so we that trade flips to AB+20=27+2nd round pick) Instead of that 5th maybe trade 2 of our 6 roundes.

1.27)
2.35)
2.52)
3.83)
4.122)
6.207)
7.)

Maybe after that trade they trade back up in the first. ( I am trying to keep back to the subject and not to hijack the the thread)

Been saying this all along...I want Quality over quanity...And this draft is loaded ( with positions on need for us ) in rounds 2-4...

I would like to trade back 7-8 picks...maybe 10...Then trade back up...Have something like...

If that's doable, with the value system...Get ALL the positions of need...OLB, ILB, CB, S, TE, WR, RB...

10 players aren't making this team...And we're getting MANY of the names we have been talking about, with extreme depth and talent...At multiple positions...

Super Bowl!

Steel Maniac
04-19-2019, 03:24 PM
Been saying this all along...I want Quality over quanity...And this draft is loaded ( with positions on need for us ) in rounds 2-4...

I would like to trade back 7-8 picks...maybe 10...Then trade back up...Have something like...

If that's doable, with the value system...Get ALL the positions of need...OLB, ILB, CB, S, TE, WR, RB...

10 players aren't making this team...And we're getting MANY of the names we have been talking about, with extreme depth and talent...At multiple positions...

Super Bowl!

I"m with you on the quality over quantity. My dream is Devin White but I think it's a dream. I want some difference makers on defense. If we are going to be a team that runs the ball more and conducts a balanced offense now, then we've got to get the defense up to another level.

RuthlessBurgher
04-19-2019, 04:43 PM

1.27)
2.35)
2.52)
3.83)
4.122)
6.207)
7.)

The Colts have two 2nd round picks this year (their own in the late 2nd and the Jets' in the early 2nd). What if Indy wanted to have two 1st round picks instead (their own at 1.26 and also ours at 1.20)?

The numbers work out pretty darn close if we throw in a 6th round pick (2.34 + 2.59 = 870 pts., while 1.20 + 6.192 = 865.6 pts.)

We wouldn't have a first rounder anymore, but we'd have 5 picks on day two of the draft (FIVE!):
An early 2nd rounder (2.34)
A mid-range 2nd rounder (2.52)
A late 2nd rounder (2.59)
An early 3rd rounder (3.66)
A mid-range 3rd rounder (3.83)

Think of some of the additions we could make to our roster with 5 day two picks this year.

Here are some players with day two projections on draftscout.com right now:

ILB
Mack Wilson 2
Vosean Joseph 2-3
Germaine Pratt 2-3
Bobby Okereke 3
Blake Cashman 3
Te'Von Coney 3-4
Drue Tranquill 3-4

OLB (EDGE)
D'Andre Walker 2
Oshane Ximines 2
Jaylon Ferguson 2
Chase Winovich 2-3
Jachai Polite 2-3
Jordan Brailford 3

CB
Rock Ya-Sin 1-2
Julian Love 2
Amani Oruwariye 2
Trayvon Mullen 2
Lonnie Johnson 2
Sean Bunting 2-3
Justin Layne 2-3
Isaiah Johnson 2-3
JoeJuan Williams 3
Kendall Sheffield 3
Jamel Dean 3

S
Nassir Adderley 1-2
Juan Thornhill 1-2
Deionte Thompson 2
Chauncey Gardner-Johnson 2
Taylor Rapp 2
Darnell Savage 2-3
Amani Hooker 3

WR
Deebo Samuel 2
Hakeem Butler 2
Riley Ridley 2-3
Kelvin Harmon 2-3
Miles Boykin 2-3
J.J. Arcega-Whiteside 3
Andy Isabella 3
Mecole Hardman 3

TE
Irv Smith 1-2
Kaden Smith 2-3
Josh Oliver 3
Jace Sternberger 3
Dawson Knox 3-4

RB
Miles Sanders 2
Darrell Henderson 2
Damien Harris 2-3
David Montgomery 2-3
Justice Hill 3

Steel Maniac
04-19-2019, 06:30 PM

What about the Alabama safety? He'd be a great get in the second round.

hawaiiansteel
04-19-2019, 06:39 PM
What about the Alabama safety? He'd be a great get in the second round.

the Steelers have shown a lot of interest in FS Darnell Savage Jr. from Maryland. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't make it past #52 if he's still available.

Steel Maniac
04-19-2019, 06:48 PM
They have shown a ton of interest in Savage. Everybody can’t be gone by our second pick; someone’s sliding. :smile:

steeler_george
04-20-2019, 05:47 AM
The thing is that they won't trade out of the 1st. They like that 5th year option on f1st rounders.
I don't know why it hasn't really worked in our favor in the past...

I am starting to consider, maybe it is best for us to trade up aggressively rather than trade back, and hope we get that player, since we have the draft capital this year.

I just hope Colbert and Tomlin don't outsmart themselves.

steeler_george
04-20-2019, 06:07 AM
They are now saying that he is going to be a top 40 pick and might be selected in the first round. Maybe at 20 we take him to secure him, and then we trade back in the first or high second for a player of BPA.

I was thinking if they took him in the first, that it might be a BIG reach! But then again logic came back, he is a position of need, he is fast play maker, plays fast, and is around the ball consistently.

Add in the fact, that this year's draft, has maybe at best 20 first round talent rated players, and the 2nd round talent starts around 20 but runs into the late 3rd round.
Quickly something like this ( no trades):
1) Savage S
2) Samuels WR
3) Layne CB
3) Josh Oliver TE
4) Long ILB
5) Omenihu OLB
6) Mack DL
6) Mack TE
6)Gary Johnosn OLB
7) Diontae Johnson WR/ST or Ty Johnson RB/ST

Northern_Blitz
04-20-2019, 07:40 AM
The thing is that they won't trade out of the 1st. They like that 5th year option on f1st rounders.
I don't know why it hasn't really worked in our favor in the past...

I am starting to consider, maybe it is best for us to trade up aggressively rather than trade back, and hope we get that player, since we have the draft capital this year.

I just hope Colbert and Tomlin don't outsmart themselves.

I think this is a really good point. The extra year has a lot of value

Steel Maniac
04-20-2019, 08:33 AM
They are now saying that he is going to be a top 40 pick and might be selected in the first round. Maybe at 20 we take him to secure him, and then we trade back in the first or high second for a player of BPA.

I was thinking if they took him in the first, that it might be a BIG reach! But then again logic came back, he is a position of need, he is fast play maker, plays fast, and is around the ball consistently.

Add in the fact, that this year's draft, has maybe at best 20 first round talent rated players, and the 2nd round talent starts around 20 but runs into the late 3rd round.
Quickly something like this ( no trades):
1) Savage S
2) Samuels WR
3) Layne CB
3) Josh Oliver TE
4) Long ILB
5) Omenihu OLB
6) Mack DL
6) Mack TE
6)Gary Johnosn OLB
7) Diontae Johnson WR/ST or Ty Johnson RB/ST

No way they take Savage in the first round; way better players left I'm sure then that. I think they'll address the safety position but not in the first round. Someone is going to drop because all these guys can't go before us at # 20. And let's be truthful, the grade the media has on a third of these guys are not the same as the GM's of the teams have.

hawaiiansteel
04-20-2019, 03:44 PM
No way they take Savage in the first round; way better players left I'm sure then that

I'm sure most people would have said the exact same thing about Edmunds last year.

Steel Maniac
04-20-2019, 03:52 PM
I'm sure most people would have said the exact same thing about Edmunds last year.

Good point; but it was a surprise pick to most. I don’t think Colbert will be reaching like that again this year. At least we hope not.

The Jets just announced ( in a frustrated manner) today that they are determined to trade down. They talk like No one will give them the bounty they want.

hawaiiansteel
04-20-2019, 04:24 PM
Good point; but it was a surprise pick to most. I don’t think Colbert will be reaching like that again this year. At least we hope not.

The Jets just announced ( in a frustrated manner) today that they are determined to trade down. They talk like No one will give them the bounty they want.

there really aren't any players this year worth paying a steep price to trade up to the 3rd spot for.

RuthlessBurgher
04-20-2019, 04:53 PM
there really aren't any players this year worth paying a steep price to trade up to the 3rd spot for.

Well, it would certainly require a king's ransom that most of us would be unwilling to part with, but if Kyler Murray went #1 and Quinnen Williams went #2, it sure would be nice to be able to line up Nick Bosa opposite of T.J. Watt. A couple of NFL lineage brothers meeting at the QB play after play. Complete fantasy, but one can dream, eh?

hawaiiansteel
04-20-2019, 05:28 PM
Well, it would certainly require a king's ransom that most of us would be unwilling to part with, but if Kyler Murray went #1 and Quinnen Williams went #2, it sure would be nice to be able to line up Nick Bosa opposite of T.J. Watt. A couple of NFL lineage brothers meeting at the QB play after play. Complete fantasy, but one can dream, eh?

it would be nice yes, but would require this year's 1st and 2nd round picks along with next year's #1 pick.

besides, this is Bud Dupree's breakout year :stirpot

RuthlessBurgher
04-20-2019, 06:14 PM
[QUOTE=hawaiiansteel;762591]it would be nice yes, but would require this year's 1st and 2nd round picks along with next year's #1 pick.

besides, this is Bud Dupree's breakout year :stirpot[/QUOTE

Yeah, I'm on record as stating that moving up to 8 or 9 for Devin White is the highest that I would be willing to go unless some team ahead of them would be willing to move back at an extreme discount, which simply will not happen.

Steel Maniac
04-20-2019, 10:47 PM

Well, josh Allen on the edge wouldn’t hurt :smile: but wouldn’t the price of what the jets want come down if no one was willing to give them all that they want?

hawaiiansteel
04-20-2019, 10:55 PM
Well, josh Allen on the edge wouldn’t hurt

I don't know, there's something about drafting another edge rusher from Kentucky that worries me for some reason...

Steel Maniac
04-20-2019, 10:58 PM
Hahaha.. your spooked huh? No worries. Allen would be a no brainer pick right there.

hawaiiansteel
04-20-2019, 11:04 PM
Hahaha.. your spooked huh? No worries. Allen would be a no brainer pick right there.

or Nick Bosa if the 49ers pick Quinnen Williams...

Ernie
04-21-2019, 07:05 AM
Hang tight at 20 and take Brian Burns if he is there. There will be a few top tier guys left at a position of need.

Northern_Blitz
04-21-2019, 07:37 AM
Well, josh Allen on the edge wouldn’t hurt :smile: but wouldn’t the price of what the jets want come down if no one was willing to give them all that they want?

I think it depends.

They have some value placed on staying where they are.

Someone needs to offer them more than that for them to move.

It's not like with AB where we felt we had to make a move.

RuthlessBurgher
04-21-2019, 12:20 PM
Hang tight at 20 and take Brian Burns if he is there. There will be a few top tier guys left at a position of need.

I'd prefer Burns to one of the CB's myself as well, but I think he's the last bona fide first round edge rusher, and therefore will likely come off the board in the first half of round 1 rather than falling to #20. We'll see soon enough.

Steel Maniac
04-21-2019, 01:06 PM
I think it depends.

They have some value placed on staying where they are.

Not by the way that their acting; Jets are desperate to trade down from all the reports. So much so, they are getting frustrated by not being able to do something by now. Maybe they get what they want on draft nite; but they are not getting what they want right now.

And trading down for them makes a ton of sense; if they can go down and pick up two more draft picks in addition, that is exactly what they need. They need upgrades across the board.

RuthlessBurgher
04-21-2019, 05:25 PM
Why would anyone trade up to #3 now when you don't know who the first and second picks will be yet?

You can work out the basic parameters of a potential trade now (tell them if the guy we want is still available at #3, we'd be willing to give you this & that to move up to your spot), but why would you risk actually moving up now if your guy might not be there?

Say you really want Nick Bosa and would be willing to move up to #3 if Kyler Murray and Quinnen Williams go 1-2. But if Arizona or San Fran took Bosa for themselves, you'd have no interest in trading up that high anymore.

Just finalize the trade after the first and second picks are taken and the Jets are actually on the clock. They give teams 10 minutes on the clock for a reason.

Steel Maniac
04-21-2019, 08:04 PM

Your probably right; always a slider. Lol

RuthlessBurgher
04-21-2019, 09:24 PM
If Burns slides down into the late teens, I'd be concerned that the Titans would snag him one spot ahead of us at #19, so I'd be happy to give up one of our 3 sixth round picks to leapfrog Tennessee. See if the Vikes or Giants are interested in obtaining an extra pick to move down just a few spots in round 1.

hawaiiansteel
04-21-2019, 11:34 PM
If Burns slides down into the late teens, I'd be concerned that the Titans would snag him one spot ahead of us at #19, so I'd be happy to give up one of our 3 sixth round picks to leapfrog Tennessee. See if the Vikes or Giants are interested in obtaining an extra pick to move down just a few spots in round 1.

probably would need to give up our 4th round pick to leapfrog the Titans...

Steel Maniac
04-22-2019, 01:16 AM

When do you consider trading down?

hawaiiansteel
04-22-2019, 01:26 AM

well, it also requires a trading partner who wants to move up and is willing to give fair compensation. unless there's someone you absolutely love I would personally always be open to trading down.

Northern_Blitz
04-22-2019, 05:03 AM
Not by the way that their acting; Jets are desperate to trade down from all the reports. So much so, they are getting frustrated by not being able to do something by now. Maybe they get what they want on draft nite; but they are not getting what they want right now.

And trading down for them makes a ton of sense; if they can go down and pick up two more draft picks in addition, that is exactly what they need. They need upgrades across the board.

I get that they want to move down.

I'm just saying that picking at 3 OA is a pretty awesome worst case scenario.

I don't think they do something drastic like move down to 20. Picking at 3 is way better than that IMO

Ernie
04-22-2019, 06:42 AM

Assuming the top 2 TEs, ILBs, and EDGE Rushers are gone... id consider trading down (depending on what could be gained in return) and snag a DL or Safety. I DO NOT want a CB with our first pick.

Id be fine with moving up a few picks to get Burns if they choose to go that route.

Steel Maniac
04-22-2019, 07:40 AM
the barometer for us is how many QBs go before our pick. If 4 go, we’ve got a decent shot at Bush falling to us. A Wr in there would also be nice.

RuthlessBurgher
04-22-2019, 10:49 AM
Why would anyone trade up to #3 now when you don't know who the first and second picks will be yet?

You can work out the basic parameters of a potential trade now (tell them if the guy we want is still available at #3, we'd be willing to give you this & that to move up to your spot), but why would you risk actually moving up now if your guy might not be there?

Say you really want Nick Bosa and would be willing to move up to #3 if Kyler Murray and Quinnen Williams go 1-2. But if Arizona or San Fran took Bosa for themselves, you'd have no interest in trading up that high anymore.

Just finalize the trade after the first and second picks are taken and the Jets are actually on the clock. They give teams 10 minutes on the clock for a reason.

Jets most likely won’t be able to trade down until on the clock

Posted by Mike Florio on April 22, 2019, 7:55 AM EDT

Last year, the Jets prematurely jumped from No. 6 to No. 3 for fear that someone else (possibly the Bills) would beat them to the punch. This year, the Jets apparently have been trying to move the third pick before the draft, and they have yet to strike a deal.

There’s a good reason for that. Teams usually trade up not for a spot but for a player. Last year, the Jets wanted a position — quarterback — and were willing to risk that both Baker Mayfield (the guy some believe they preferred at the time) and Sam Darnold would be taken before they selected, leaving them to choose between pivoting to running back Saquon Barkley or picking Josh Allen, who eventually would go to Buffalo, a team that traded up to No. 7 while that pick was on the clock.

This year, there’s simply too much uncertainty at the top of the draft to allow a team to jump to the third spot before knowing what happens with the first two. And the identity of the Jets’ potential trade partners could dramatically change based on what happens with those first two selections.

Ultimately, the Jets will be trading (if they do) not the third pick but Kyler Murray or Nick Bosa or Quinnen Williams or whoever a team trading up for that pick wants to draft before someone else can. And it doesn’t affect the Jets to trade down while on the clock, because they’ll still be in position to be leap-frogged wherever they land, whether they slide down before or during the draft.

The Jets are surely smart enough to realize these dynamics, and to understand that a pre-on-the-clock trade was always going to be unlikely. If nothing else, anyone and everyone inclined to move up to get Murray or Bosa or Williams or a different player now knows that there’s a window to do so, and the Jets surely have had or will have had those conversations about what the price will be long before the 10 minutes of sand begin to slide out of the top of the hourglass.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/22/jets-most-likely-wont-be-able-to-trade-down-until-on-the-clock/

RuthlessBurgher
04-22-2019, 12:42 PM
Reports: Jets high on Ed Oliver

Posted by Josh Alper on April 22, 2019, 11:23 AM EDT

The Jets have talked about their willingness to trade out of the third pick and a move down the board probably wouldn’t come until Thursday night if it comes at all.

If the team does not make a deal, they’re expected to add a piece to their front seven at No. 3. Depending on what happens in the first two picks, some combination of Nick Bosa, Quinnen Williams, Josh Allen and Ed Oliver will be available for the team.

There have been multiple reports that Oliver has become a favorite of the team’s front office and Peter King made Oliver the Jets’ choice in his mock draft for Football Morning in America. He’s not alone on that front and King also reported the team does not “love” Allen.

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports that the team holds Williams and Oliver are held in higher esteem by the team than Allen, but that “folks in the building are infatuated” with the former Houston defensive tackle. Mehta and Rich Cimini of ESPN both note that Oliver has drawn comparisons to Aaron Donald in terms of his size and position and that Jets defensive coordinator Gregg Williams made good use of Donald when he was coordinating the Rams defense.

None of that means Oliver will wind up as the pick, of course, but all of the buzz means it won’t be a surprise if he hits the stage in Nashville wearing a Jets cap.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/22/reports-jets-high-on-ed-oliver/

hawaiiansteel
04-22-2019, 04:06 PM
5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers:

4/22: The Buccaneers love Devin White. - Albert Breer, MMQB

Tampa has a huge need at linebacker, so it'll be interesting if it eschews either Josh Allen or Ed Oliver for White at No. 5 overall.

http://walterfootball.com/nflrumors/teamdraft

RuthlessBurgher
04-22-2019, 04:14 PM
I wonder who Colbert is talking about here? :tt2

“What we look at: If a certain player we think we would pick at No. 5 is still available at No. 10, we would say, this guy is coming to where he’s available and we might want to think about going up to get him because he probably won’t get to No. 12,” said Colbert.

https://www.steelers.com/news/colbert-explains-mechanics-of-a-draft-day-trade

steeler_george
01-25-2020, 02:45 PM
Ruth, are you sure you don't have me hacked? I was thinking the exact same thing last night for my next themed mock.." go for broke mock" and was thinking all day who and how much is it logical to trade up for.

I think the mock is deep in enough this year, that we actually draft what we need/want after the 4th round. If we go aggressive for White.
We can even use next years 3rd to trade for this years 4th.

Something like this:

1.20) trade for White
2.52) trade for White
3.66) trade for White
3.83) Justin Layne CB/ Hooker DB
4.122) Mack DL
4B) Sills/Gentry WR
5) /Moreau/Mack/Waco/Warring TE
6.) Morgan Stanley WR
6) Love RB
6) TY Johnson RB/ST
7) Johnson Toledo WR/ST

I never do this, search for old topics... ( was looking about info about Darron Lee how he would of be/been our starter or 3rd ILB) when I found this....

I got 2 players right out of 10! 3 if you count trading up for a LB!

I was all for trading for D. Lee and upset we couldn't get him for a 6th... we selected Sutton Smith instead...

Considering the cap, we are probably better off not taking him.