PDA

View Full Version : mock 4

steeler_george
04-03-2019, 02:39 PM
Based on meetings, combine, current visits and pro days.
Projections ( White, Bush, and Hockenson might be out of our draft range.)
And our and team's comments and movements

Trade back with Oakland swap picks ( 1.27+2.35) for our ( 20+2.52)

1.27 Murray/Baker/Greedy CB- I am not sure which is best for us. We are going to need CB to match up with the Browns. Nelson can swap inside (upgrade Hilton?) Tomlin mentioned his versatility
2.35 Wilson ILB- plan C, but might be the turnover machine for ILB we needed, split with Barron.
3.66 Hooker S- With Burnett gone, we add a multiplayer DB, can play all 3 safety positions. Add in Barron, and we should solidify our middle of our D with base/subpackage 3 safety D.
3.83 Sternberger TE- we are going to an upgrade to Gimble
4.121 Boykin WR-- need competition and depth and development
5 Hill RB- need 3rd back and competition for Conner
6 Still WR- see Boykin
6 Mack DL Texas - add youth and depth on DL
6 Moreau TE
7 OL-center

I know we need depth at OLB, but figure Ole and Chick add depth while we have starters in Bud and Watt.

*** players i like but age might affect us from drafting Thornhill and Winovich***

hawaiiansteel
04-03-2019, 03:07 PM
great mock except that Boykin, Hill and Moreau will all be drafted earlier.

steeler_george
04-03-2019, 06:00 PM
great mock except that Boykin, Hill and Moreau will all be drafted earlier.

I think you might be right. I see another fault in this mock....

I thought of going a different route in this mock( mostly early D), but I keep looking it, and I keep seeing one name repeating. Barron.

Is he going to be that big piece of the puzzle to our defense going forward? An inside linebacker that can play our hybrid LB/Safety. What is his role excarly going forward?

Am I overvaluing him and putting him on same level of Troy. There is no way he is that good.

If that is case, I don't know why I am mocking two players, Wilson in the 2nd and Hooker at 3.66 to split or back up Barron.

Iron City Inc.
04-03-2019, 07:46 PM
Math works perfectly on the trade, not that it has to, but very interesting scenario. I would not be against it if value at 20 was for wr where we could wait. Sternberger can not play the Y. In fact I was looking for plays where he excelled there and I could not find any and I watched the entire Kentucky game. Now what he can do well is run verticals inside the hash marks n ran some nice angle routes. He looks faster on tape then 4.75 but in our O I have to believe we would not give him a 3rd round grade. To me he is a big receiver and I know it's a passing league so he may go early 3 but for us being so 1 dimensional got to think later on draft day for us. More 4th rounder or a bit later. Not sure what you spotted in him but he's lacking a complete game at this point imho.
Good effort on your part overall. Boykin could be a M Bryant. Upside is huge but needs route work. He would be a nice mid rounder.

RuthlessBurgher
04-04-2019, 11:46 AM
In terms of the corner possibilities, it seems like Byron Murphy is the one who seems most like a Steeler to me. Although he doesn't have elite level long speed or the size teams covet, he makes up for it with top notch instincts, toughness, and short-area quickness. Greedy Williams has the size and speed teams drool over, but he seems more like an Antonio Cromartie type who is talented but seemingly unwilling to get his nose dirty on defense. DeAndre Baker is physically similar to Murphy, and is a consistent, competitive player, but I personally prefer Murphy's overall high football IQ to Baker's confidence possibly bordering on cockiness.

If we swapped our mid-first and mid-second picks for Oakland's late-first and early second picks, I could see us using those picks something like this:

1.27 CB Byron Murphy
2.35 TE Irv Smith
3.66 S Amani Hooker
3.83 WR Miles Boykin
4.122 ILB David Long

I moved Boykin up one spot sooner on the basis of hawaiiansteel's determination that he'd be gone earlier. And if Hooker comes off the board in round 2, there should be other safety prospects who could interest the team early in round 3. We have shown an interest in Darnell Savage lately. I added David Long to be our ILB who might possibly be our future at that position, learning the ropes from Mark Barron...he seems like a Devin Bush type that you don't have to trade up in the first to get.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-04-2019, 01:31 PM
In terms of the corner possibilities, it seems like Byron Murphy is the one who seems most like a Steeler to me. Although he doesn't have elite level long speed or the size teams covet, he makes up for it with top notch instincts, toughness, and short-area quickness. Greedy Williams has the size and speed teams drool over, but he seems more like an Antonio Cromartie type who is talented but seemingly unwilling to get his nose dirty on defense. DeAndre Baker is physically similar to Murphy, and is a consistent, competitive player, but I personally prefer Murphy's overall high football IQ to Baker's confidence possibly bordering on cockiness.

If we swapped our mid-first and mid-second picks for Oakland's late-first and early second picks, I could see us using those picks something like this:

1.27 CB Byron Murphy
2.35 TE Irv Smith
3.66 S Amani Hooker
3.83 WR Miles Boykin
4.122 ILB David Long

I moved Boykin up one spot sooner on the basis of hawaiiansteel's determination that he'd be gone earlier. And if Hooker comes off the board in round 2, there should be other safety prospects who could interest the team early in round 3. We have shown an interest in Darnell Savage lately. I added David Long to be our ILB who might possibly be our future at that position, learning the ropes from Mark Barron...he seems like a Devin Bush type that you don't have to trade up in the first to get.

I've been thinking and was going to pose the Murphy/Greedy question to the board. Murphy is obviously more "Steeler-like" but if we need to revamp the D are we looking for more of the same types who have gotten us here?

Greedy
Pros: Big, fast, talented, ball-hawk
Cons: No physicality

Murphy
Pros: hard hitting, run-support
Cons: Smaller, speed, not as fluid

RuthlessBurgher
04-04-2019, 02:09 PM
I've been thinking and was going to pose the Murphy/Greedy question to the board. Murphy is obviously more "Steeler-like" but if we need to revamp the D are we looking for more of the same types who have gotten us here?

Greedy
Pros: Big, fast, talented, ball-hawk
Cons: No physicality

Murphy
Pros: hard hitting, run-support
Cons: Smaller, speed, not as fluid

I agree with the pros and cons that you listed for Greedy vs. Murphy, but there are other strengths to Murphy's game besides his hard-hitting nature and his run support (that might be something you'd expect to hear about a SS or LB as opposed to a cover corner). In addition to that toughness level, you have to mention his instincts and high football IQ.

While Greedy is certainly a ball hawk with 8 INT and 19 PD in his 2 seasons in Baton Rouge, Murphy is no slouch with 7 INT and 20 PD in 2 years at Washington, and he managed that production in only 87 targets in his college career, which would appear to be excellent ball production per target.

hawaiiansteel
04-04-2019, 03:55 PM
We have shown an interest in Darnell Savage lately.

The Panthers and Steelers are showing a lot of interest in Darnell Savage. - Tony Pauline, DraftAnalyst.com

Savage's stock has improved in the wake of his strong combine, and he could be chosen in the second round as a result. Both teams could use Savage, so they could take him with their second picks.

http://walterfootball.com/nflrumors

RuthlessBurgher
04-04-2019, 04:09 PM
The Panthers and Steelers are showing a lot of interest in Darnell Savage. - Tony Pauline, DraftAnalyst.com

Savage's stock has improved in the wake of his strong combine, and he could be chosen in the second round as a result. Both teams could use Savage, so they could take him with their second picks.

http://walterfootball.com/nflrumors

The Panthers and Steelers both have 1 pick in round one, 1 pick in round two, and 2 picks in round 3.

Their 1st round pick is 4 slots ahead of ours:
CAR 1.16
PITT 1.20

Their 2nd round pick is 5 slots ahead of ours:
CAR 2.47
PITT 2.52

Our 3a pick is 11 slots ahead of theirs:
PITT 3.66
CAR 3.77

Our 3b pick is 17 slots ahead of theirs:
PITT 3.83
CAR 3.100

Savage's current projection according to draftscout.com is 2-3 (late 2nd or early 3rd).

hawaiiansteel
04-04-2019, 04:11 PM
The Panthers and Steelers both have 1 pick in round one, 1 pick in round two, and 2 picks in round 3.

Their 1st round pick is 4 slots ahead of ours:
CAR 1.16
PITT 1.20

Their 2nd round pick is 5 slots ahead of ours:
CAR 2.47
PITT 2.52

Our 3a pick is 11 slots ahead of theirs:
PITT 3.66
CAR 3.77

Our 3b pick is 17 slots ahead of theirs:
PITT 3.83
CAR 3.100

Savage's current projection according to draftscout.com is 2-3 (late 2nd or early 3rd).

depending on how much we like him and how badly we want Savage, we may have to trade up in the second round ahead of Carolina.

RuthlessBurgher
04-04-2019, 04:25 PM
depending on how much we like him and how badly we want Savage, we may have to trade up in the second round ahead of Carolina.

There are currently 8 safeties projected to come off the board on the first two days of the draft according to draftscout, so I think we should be able to land a quality one with the picks we already have at 1.20, 2.52, 3.66, and 3.83. Unless we like one of the guys on this list a lot more than the others, I doubt that we trade up for a safety.

Deionte Thompson 1
Taylor Rapp 2
Amani Hooker 2
Nassir Adderley 2
Chauncey Gardner-Johnson 2
Johnathan Abram 2-3
Darnell Savage 2-3
Juan Thornhill 3

hawaiiansteel
04-04-2019, 08:27 PM

sounds like Terrell Edmunds :stirpot

Steel Maniac
04-04-2019, 10:42 PM
Hahaha... hopefully he shows better this coming season.

passhappy
04-07-2019, 11:08 AM

Devin Bush Jr.

, LB
Michigan

Jace Sternberger

, TE
Texas A&M

Taylor Rapp

, S
Washington

Greg Little