PDA

View Full Version : Switzer: “I was in a bad place mentally

fordfixer
04-01-2019, 10:04 PM
Switzer: 'I was in a bad place mentally

https://www.steelers.com/news/switzer-i-was-in-a-bad-place-mentally?fbclid=IwAR1usrbGSzjYIU6iikooY6G1RvKNm0hU W88EuUQIHs3Cosalau4FB251e9w

Teresa Varley

You hear it from NFL players time and time again. Sometimes it’s when they are traded, or cut, or not re-signed.

It’s the standard line you come to expect.

They understand things happening because football ‘is a business.’

But it’s more. Yes, football is a business. But for those who play the game, it’s a passion. It’s been a part of their life since they were kids. It’s something that brings them happiness, brings them joy.

And when it’s disrupted because the sport ‘is a business,’ it can hurt like you can’t imagine.

Just ask Ryan Switzer.

Switzer was traded not just once, but twice in a five month span, landing with the Steelers before the start of the 2018 season from the Raiders, who happened to acquire him from the Cowboys just months earlier.

Looking back at it, it was tougher than he could have ever imagined. It was the low point of his career and something that brought him pain he never expected.

“I am not going to downplay it,” said Switzer. “It was extremely hard. I was in a pretty bad place when I showed up to Pittsburgh. Being traded twice in five months. Not sure what was going on. Not knowing why it wasn’t working out. When the stuff started happening in Oakland, the last two weeks of training camp the coaches stopped talking to me. They weren’t giving me any reps in the preseason. I couldn’t understand what was going on. I came to find out I was on the trading block for a while.

“Moving out of a house, to the West Coast, back to the East Coast. I lost a lot of money moving. It was a mess. I was newly married. There were a lot of factors that went into why I was feeling how I was. When I got here I didn’t expect too much. My mind hadn’t settled down. I was processing everything that was going on. That was the state I was in. I was in a really bad place mentally.”

That was until he spent a few days in the Steelers locker room. That honestly changed everything.

“It was no question the lowest I have ever been in my football career,” said Switzer. “The lowest without a doubt. Just to go from the lowest I have ever felt to potentially the highest, being integrated into this team, such a strong group of guys. It went from the lowest to the highest. That is a credit to Coach (Mike) Tomlin, the veterans in the locker room, the organization. Everyone who welcomed me and made me feel like I was at home.

“To have a Hall of Fame quarterback work with me, reach out to me. It would have been so easy for him to say this guy got here seven days before the first game. I don’t trust him, I don’t want to work with him. But he didn’t do that.”

Instead Ben Roethlisberger possibly helped save Switzer’s career. Roethlisberger welcomed Switzer in a way he never could have imagined, taking him from a dark time when he thought it was time to hang up the cleats, to the best time he had in his young NFL career.

“Ben and I talked after the season,” said Switzer. “I wanted to express my thanks to him. When I got here I remember telling my wife, my agent, I am going to see how this first couple of days go. I was so low mentally I was ready to retire. The game at that point wasn’t worth the mental stress it was putting on me and my life. He helped me so much.

“Looking back it’s crazy because football means so much to me. I love this game. It’s a top five priority in my life. To think that I felt that way and I was just a day or two away from giving up on everything I ever worked for. It’s kind of surreal looking back at it that I was that close to being done with it.

“I can’t even tell you the gratitude I have for the situation looking back at it. I wouldn’t be mentally where I am right now if I was in Dallas, if I hadn’t gone through the trades, if I hadn’t gone through the moves and everything I went through. I am going into my third year but I feel like I have played nine, just because of the things that I have learned and the stuff I have been through. I am grateful for that. It can’t do anything but propel me from here on out.

“It just took a different environment, a different set of people to bring that it out of me. I feel like when you believe in me, when you put your trust in me, I would run through a brick wall for you.”

hawaiiansteel
04-01-2019, 10:15 PM
this is obviously a made up story, we all know that Ben would never help someone else and that he's a terrible leader.

fordfixer
04-01-2019, 10:36 PM
this is obviously a made up story, we all know that Ben would never help someone else and that he's a terrible leader.
Well it is April fools day.

RuthlessBurgher
04-02-2019, 12:00 AM
A year ago, Antonio Brown was on top of the world in Pittsburgh and Ryan Switzer was in a miserable limbo between Dallas and Oakland.

Now Switzer is enjoying life in Pittsburgh, and AB will soon find out that the grass is brown and rotting on the other side.

Which is the better situation for an undersized possession receiver and jitterbug return man? I foresee an increased role and additional success as Switzer remains in the same place for the second consecutive season in a quality offensive system, while it will take some time for AB to get used to playing in an inferior system where he will have to learn how to get used to losing. Karma, beeyotch.

Chadman
04-02-2019, 12:44 AM
Switzer sure does say the right things to get fans on board. Loved his effort on the field, Chadman thinks he’s a good fit.

Steel Maniac
04-02-2019, 01:20 AM
I’m a Switzer fan

Oviedo
04-02-2019, 02:30 AM
Switzer sure does say the right things to get fans on board. Loved his effort on the field, Chadman thinks he’s a good fit.

Switzer is obviously a liar. Those who really know things have stated repeatedly that this team is a dysfunctional mess. Tomlin is a terrible coach who needs to be fired. Ben is a selfish egotistical a$$ who causes more problems than one can count t and drives away hard working, team first players like Bell and Brown

Obviously this is fake news

hawaiiansteel
04-02-2019, 02:40 AM
Ben is a selfish egotistical a$$ who causes more problems than one can count and drives away hard working, team first players like Bell and Brown

https://media1.tenor.com/images/da7a4842ae42ac4abed376d1cd27ff39/tenor.gif?itemid=12069150

Ernie
04-02-2019, 04:02 AM
Its nice to see some "Feel good" stories mixed in every now and again. Gives us hope that Tomlin can "Right the ship"... now that the cancer has been removed from this team.

steeler_george
04-02-2019, 05:21 AM
WE are log jammed at slot. JuJu, Rogers, and him, would you trade him to move up for a center? :rolleyes:

Ernie
04-02-2019, 06:03 AM
I don't figure we will use Juju in the slot much... but I do agree we are set at that position with those 2 and potentially Washington.

The Man of Steel
04-02-2019, 07:21 AM
Switzer is probably a good guy but he talks like your stereotypical Millennial. If you’re in your 20’s and you’re pulling in 6-7 figures a year then your problems are more dramatic in nature than they are real world adult issues.

Shawn
04-02-2019, 07:36 AM
A year ago, Antonio Brown was on top of the world in Pittsburgh and Ryan Switzer was in a miserable limbo between Dallas and Oakland.

Now Switzer is enjoying life in Pittsburgh, and AB will soon find out that the grass is brown and rotting on the other side.

Which is the better situation for an undersized possession receiver and jitterbug return man? I foresee an increased role and additional success as Switzer remains in the same place for the second consecutive season in a quality offensive system, while it will take some time for AB to get used to playing in an inferior system where he will have to learn how to get used to losing. Karma, beeyotch. Good to know I’m not the only one who likes Switzer. I think the guy has some real talent. I think he will only get better for us. Training camp should be an interesting battle in the slot this season.

Shawn
04-02-2019, 07:38 AM
Switzer is probably a good guy but he talks like your stereotypical Millennial. If you’re in your 20’s and you’re pulling in 6-7 figures a year then your problems are more dramatic in nature than they are real world adult issues.
Seemed pretty real world to me. And I’m not a millennial.

Shawn
04-02-2019, 07:39 AM
Oh yes, while I’m sure it’s authentic. It was also carefully crafted. It’s actually a savvy move for a bubble player.

Steel Maniac
04-02-2019, 08:05 AM
Oh yes, while I’m sure it’s authentic. It was also carefully crafted. It’s actually a savvy move for a bubble player.

They say millennials are not suppose to be that savvy. :)

Eich
04-02-2019, 08:56 AM

A year ago we THOUGHT Brown was on top of the world in Pittsburgh. He wasn't. He's all about himself and money. I Honestly don't think he cares about winning a super bowl. He just wants personal statistics to hold up his ego and get him to the Hall of Fame. And more than that, he wants money. More than anyone else at his position.

Oh wow
04-02-2019, 09:07 AM
Loved this story. This kid used to kill Pitt when he was
at UNC.

Hopefully he can make an impact in the punt return game this year.

Oh wow
04-02-2019, 09:09 AM

I guess but I doubt he is on the bubble. Who is going to return punts this year?

I think it’s just a kid who was traded twice and finally feels like he has found a spot and I think he will be here for a few.

SidSmythe
04-02-2019, 10:25 AM
SWITZER makes me nervous out there - maybe b/c he was on the field A LOT right off the start and he looks like he's 14 yrs old??

RuthlessBurgher
04-02-2019, 11:01 AM

Well, he does have a tattoo on the inside of his lower lip.
That seems like a pretty Millenial thing to do.
I don't know too many Baby Boomers with inner lip tattoos. ;)

Oviedo
04-02-2019, 11:07 AM
If you don't add anyone, you have to think the top 3 WRs are JuJu, Moncrief and hopefully Washington. The first two are solid. I think I'd keep Switzer over Eli Rogers.

RuthlessBurgher
04-02-2019, 11:08 AM
A year ago we THOUGHT Brown was on top of the world in Pittsburgh. He wasn't. He's all about himself and money. I Honestly don't think he cares about winning a super bowl. He just wants personal statistics to hold up his ego and get him to the Hall of Fame. And more than that, he wants money. More than anyone else at his position.

On February 27, 2017, Brown signed a new five-year contract with the Steelers through the 2021 season. The contract is a four-year extension worth $68 million ($19 million guaranteed at signing) with a $17 million annual price tag, making Brown the highest paid wide receiver in the NFL.

Plus, he was in the midst of 6 consecutive seasons with over 100 catches for over 1250 yards.

So he got paid, he was getting his beloved personal statistics, and therefore he was on top of the world in Pittsburgh a year ago.

Then when the guaranteed money ran out and another WR was putting up comparable stats and getting the praise he thought only he deserved, he weaseled his way out and landed in a worse situation overall (but got more guaranteed money and should get a greater percentage of his new QB's attention, which is ultimately what he craves).

Oviedo
04-02-2019, 11:13 AM
On February 27, 2017, Brown signed a new five-year contract with the Steelers through the 2021 season. The contract is a four-year extension worth $68 million ($19 million guaranteed at signing) with a $17 million annual price tag, making Brown the highest paid wide receiver in the NFL.

Plus, he was in the midst of 6 consecutive seasons with over 100 catches for over 1250 yards.

So he got paid, he was getting his beloved personal statistics, and therefore he was on top of the world in Pittsburgh a year ago.

Then when the guaranteed money ran out and another WR was putting up comparable stats and getting the praise he thought only he deserved, he weaseled his way out and landed in a worse situation overall (but got more guaranteed money and should get a greater percentage of his new QB's attention, which is ultimately what he craves).

He is a scumbag and I hope his career ends in the Raiders black hole in disgrace and as a broken man who can never recapture the accomplishments he had in Pittsburgh. Hope the cockroach gets squashed this year if for no other reason than he emboldened the Steelers hating cockroaches on this site to make us endure two months of non-stop team hate posts with the now Raider cockroach and his lies as the genesis.

RuthlessBurgher
04-02-2019, 11:17 AM
If you don't add anyone, you have to think the top 3 WRs are JuJu, Moncrief and hopefully Washington. The first two are solid. I think I'd keep Switzer over Eli Rogers.

We should keep all 5 of those guys you listed, plus probably add a rookie wideout somewhat early on in the draft as well.

I think you could have Moncrief and Washington battling to be the starting split end.
Those two give you a starter and a backup at the X.

I think you could have Switzer and Rogers battling to be the primary slot receiver.
Those two give you a starter and a backup at the Y.

I think you'll have Juju as your starting flanker and then draft another guy who will start out as his immediate backup.
Those two give you a starter and a backup at the Z.

Oviedo
04-02-2019, 11:20 AM
We should keep all 5 of those guys you listed, plus probably add a rookie wideout somewhat early on in the draft as well.

I think you could have Moncrief and Washington battling to be the starting split end.
Those two give you a starter and a backup at the X.

I think you could have Switzer and Rogers battling to be the primary slot receiver.
Those two give you a starter and a backup at the Y.

I think you'll have Juju as your starting flanker and then draft another guy who will start out as his immediate backup.
Those two give you a starter and a backup at the Z.

Thoughts on Deebo Samuel as a rookie WR? I also like your Butler mock pick

I absolutely love K'Neal Harry but likely gone too early for us to get

RuthlessBurgher
04-02-2019, 11:39 AM
Thoughts on Deebo Samuel as a rookie WR? I also like your Butler mock pick

I absolutely love K'Neal Harry but likely gone too early for us to get

I like Deebo as a player, but I think he's a little bit too similar to guys we already have.

I see his game as being somewhat of a mish-mosh between Juju and James Washington.

I think we look for a different style of receiver than what we already have...tall, fast...like a Miles Boykin or a Hakeem Butler. N'Keal would qualify as this type as well, but, yeah...he'll likely be off the board in late 1 or early 2.

Steel Maniac
04-02-2019, 11:43 AM
He is a scumbag and I hope his career ends in the Raiders black hole in disgrace and as a broken man who can never recapture the accomplishments he had in Pittsburgh. Hope the cockroach gets squashed this year if for no other reason than he emboldened the Steelers hating cockroaches on this site to make us endure two months of non-stop team hate posts with the now Raider cockroach and his lies as the genesis.

Would it be safe to say that it would be unwise for AB to be in the same Florida town as Oviedo and crossing the street while Oviedo is driving down that street?

RuthlessBurgher
04-02-2019, 11:47 AM
Oviedo must have been hit in the head by that flying Florida furniture. ;)

Captain Lemming
04-02-2019, 12:38 PM
Well, he does have a tattoo on the inside of his lower lip.
That seems like a pretty Millenial thing to do.
I don't know too many Baby Boomers with inner lip tattoos. ;)

Inner lip tatoos? On dudes?
Personally, I have no idea how common they are with ANY generation.

But I'll take YOUR word on it. :grin::grin::grin::grin:

RuthlessBurgher
04-02-2019, 12:42 PM
Inner lip tatoos? On dudes?
Personally, I have no idea how common they are with ANY generation.

But I'll take YOUR word on it. :grin::grin::grin::grin:

No way, man...I can't unsee it, so now I'm going to make you see it as well. :)

https://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/003/672/217/95c5b47f4382b00fa4a2457593596608_crop_exact.jpg?w= 300&h=200&q=75

I think he said that he wanted to get a tattoo but his mom would kill him if she ever saw him with one, so he opted to get one inside of his damn mouth. Makes sense to m....uh, never mind. ;)

Captain Lemming
04-02-2019, 12:49 PM
No way, man...I can't unsee it, so now I'm going to make you see it as well. :)

Oh, now we ALL can't unsee it.

Why you gotta do that to us man?:nono:nono:nono:nono:nono

Shawn
04-02-2019, 02:05 PM
I guess but I doubt he is on the bubble. Who is going to return punts this year?

I think it’s just a kid who was traded twice and finally feels like he has found a spot and I think he will be here for a few. don’t get me wrong. I think he makes the team. But his slot is far from guaranteed. Hence the bubble label.

fordfixer
04-02-2019, 02:27 PM
I have Heard that tattoos in the lip will dissipate over time

RuthlessBurgher
04-02-2019, 02:30 PM
I have Heard that tattoos in the lip will dissipate over time

I've heard that bleached blonde mustaches will dissipate over time as well. ;)

Captain Lemming
04-02-2019, 04:04 PM

Actually, AB was just trying to epitomize the black and gold.

fordfixer
04-02-2019, 04:40 PM
Yep but the stupid last’s for ever :D

Oh wow
04-02-2019, 04:47 PM
Huh? It doesn’t matter how much you are paid if you keep getting traded.

Eventually you start feeling like the money train is going to end.

He is trying to make a career out of this.

Depression in sports is a real thing. These guys have been Stars most of their lives and now a lot of them are just average guys fighting every year to stay on a roster.

It’s typical athlete talk. Has nothing to do with being a certain age.

I’m not a millennial but I’m tired of people always using the term like it’s a negative. Old heads always see the younger group as less tough. The older retired guys are suing the NFL because they are broke and broken.

Is that millennial of them?

papillon
04-02-2019, 04:49 PM

Until you lose that $400,000/year job and no way to replace that kind of income, it's real world as far as I can tell. I can relate to Switzer, he isn't hauling in 2, 3, 4 or 10 million per year, he's a got a real good job for about 10 years if he stays healthy. He won't be able to retire (stop working at 31), but he'll have a good start but his income level is going to drop precipitously once he hangs up the cleats.

Pappy

RobinCole
04-03-2019, 06:51 AM
We need guys like Switzer. I can pretty much guarantee he will never be smoking pot, making rap videos or driving 100+ mph on McKnight Road. And he’ll play any position the coaches ask him to play.

Steel Maniac
04-03-2019, 07:35 AM
I could see Switzer taking the slot position and making it his own.

Oh wow
04-03-2019, 08:50 AM
While I like Switzer he still needs to prove he can get vertical. Way too much east west running for my taste. I want to see him turn it upfield like at UNC.

RuthlessBurgher
04-03-2019, 10:12 AM
I can pretty much guarantee he will never be smoking pot, making rap videos or driving 100+ mph on McKnight Road.

I like Switzer as a football player, but I literally have no idea whatsoever about what kind of person he is off the field.

A couple of years ago, Le'Veon Bell and Antonio Brown both appeared to be hard-working overachiever types.

I don't know how you can be so sure about this kid not toking, rapping, or driving recklessly going forward.

RobinCole
04-03-2019, 03:19 PM
So far as I know he has never been in trouble in high school, college or NFL. That gives me a clue to his character. He seems grateful to be here, is not a prima donna, and is a team guy. I’ll stand behind what I said.

Steelerphile
04-05-2019, 05:05 AM
I don't like to rain on Switzer's parade because he seems like a very nice young man. But he is poor KO returner, average 20.2 yards a return, which is like last in the NFL. He is a slightly below average punt returner, averaged 8.4 yards. I like his fake of the fair catch, but later in the year people were catching on.

He was not a threat when he got the ball from scrimmage. Averaged 3.5 yards a carry. He showed some signs as a slot receiver, I think he averaged a little over 7 yards a catch and did some nice things, but Eli Rogers has played better when healthy especially in 2016, when he gained over 500 yards receiving and averaged 12.6 yards a catch.

He has short area quickness but doesn't have long speed. but has versatility. I hope he improves this year, because they need upgrades if he doesn't, especially the KO return.

Ernie
04-05-2019, 06:44 AM
So far as I know he has never been in trouble in high school, college or NFL. That gives me a clue to his character. He seems grateful to be here, is not a prima donna, and is a team guy. I’ll stand behind what I said.

My wife went to high school with one of Switzer's High School coaches. From his account, he was a great all around kid in those days. I haven't seen anything from him to think that's changed.

RobinCole
04-05-2019, 07:35 AM
Speaking of “all around”, Switzer in high school was also point guard on a state championship basketball team and starred in track.

SidSmythe
04-05-2019, 09:51 AM
Nice Kid I'm Sure -
But it's 3rd and 4 inside of 2 minutes down by 3 I'm not thinking "How do we get Switzer the ball?" I'm a little worried at this point.

Prove Me Wrong Baby Shark!!!

Oh wow
04-05-2019, 10:11 AM
I don't like to rain on Switzer's parade because he seems like a very nice young man. But he is poor KO returner, average 20.2 yards a return, which is like last in the NFL. He is a slightly below average punt returner, averaged 8.4 yards. I like his fake of the fair catch, but later in the year people were catching on.

He was not a threat when he got the ball from scrimmage. Averaged 3.5 yards a carry. He showed some signs as a slot receiver, I think he averaged a little over 7 yards a catch and did some nice things, but Eli Rogers has played better when healthy especially in 2016, when he gained over 500 yards receiving and averaged 12.6 yards a catch.

He has short area quickness but doesn't have long speed. but has versatility. I hope he improves this year, because they need upgrades if he doesn't, especially the KO return.

Exactly. Nice story and all but I don’t want a bunch of nice guys to root for who can’t get the job done.

I need to see him make a significant leap this year.

RuthlessBurgher
04-05-2019, 10:31 AM
Prove Me Wrong Baby Shark!!!

Oh, Christ...that's not the kid's nickname now, is it?!?

Because if they start playing that damn song at Heinz following Switzer catches, I might have to give up my season tickets out of principle.

fordfixer
04-05-2019, 10:56 AM

Because if they start playing that damn song at Heinz following Switzer catches, I might have to give up my season tickets out of principle.
I thought they were your Dads tickets?

RuthlessBurgher
04-05-2019, 11:34 AM
I thought they were your Dads tickets?

Yeah, FF, but we are actually now seriously considering giving them up within the next few years, unfortunately.

He's retired now, and the walk up to the seats is getting to be a lot for him (he has dealt with issues involving multiple sclerosis, pericarditis, and osteoarthritis during the 18 years that we've had these tickets since Heinz was built).

He doesn't mind being in the car for the 11 hour round trip drive in one day for a single game, but even when the weather is mild, he tends to sweat like a fiend during the walk over from the garage to the stadium and from the climb up to the upper level seats.

He's always been a big, strong dude (my friends were always intimidated by him when I was growing up) and he absolutely HATES taking pain meds, but for these games, he has to remember to take one about halfway through our drive down to Pittsburgh and during halftime of the game, so the walks to and from the car aren't completely unbearable for him (and the meds he takes on gameday trips aren't your garden variety over the counter Tylenol tablets or anything). Plus the anti-inflammatory pills, the heart pills, etc. Aging sucks.

When he doesn't go, I usually take my son or daughter instead (my wife hasn't made the 5.5 hour drive out to Pittsburgh for a Steeler game in several years...sometimes it requires a bit of a subtle arm-twist to get her to make the 45 minute drive to Wilkes-Barre to see our local AHL Penguin affiliate for a hockey game).

A few years ago, I might have taken each kid to one game each per year, but recently, one of the kids have been going with me for essentially half the home schedule with me instead of my father.

Now my son will be graduating from high school in a couple of months and should be leaving for the Air Force at the end of the summer. So he won't be an option to attend any of these games for a while during this service time. My wife has no desire whatsoever to start making that drive with me again, and while my daughter does enjoy a game or two out in Pittsburgh each season, you can't expect a teenage girl (she's finishing up middle school now and will be a high school freshman in the fall) to spend every other weekend driving across the state and back with her father for a football game. I've taken friends and coworkers out there occasionally, but you have to be really devoted to make such a trek.

So, when my dad decides to call it quits and watch home games from his recliner rather than section 525, that will likely be it for me out there as well. We received our 2019 invoice already, but have not paid it just yet. I imagine that we will likely re-up for this season (he hasn't completely made his mind up one way or the other for this year yet), but then take it year-by-year thereafter. I guess I could still use the TicketExchange to buy tickets to a game or two each year, but it won't quite be the same. Oh well. Thanks for the opportunity to allow me to vent a little...

fordfixer
04-05-2019, 02:18 PM
Yeah, FF, but we are actually now seriously considering giving them up within the next few years, unfortunately.

He's retired now, and the walk up to the seats is getting to be a lot for him (he has dealt with issues involving multiple sclerosis, pericarditis, and osteoarthritis during the 18 years that we've had these tickets since Heinz was built).

He doesn't mind being in the car for the 11 hour round trip drive in one day for a single game, but even when the weather is mild, he tends to sweat like a fiend during the walk over from the garage to the stadium and from the climb up to the upper level seats.

He's always been a big, strong dude (my friends were always intimidated by him when I was growing up) and he absolutely HATES taking pain meds, but for these games, he has to remember to take one about halfway through our drive down to Pittsburgh and during halftime of the game, so the walks to and from the car aren't completely unbearable for him (and the meds he takes on gameday trips aren't your garden variety over the counter Tylenol tablets or anything). Plus the anti-inflammatory pills, the heart pills, etc. Aging sucks.

When he doesn't go, I usually take my son or daughter instead (my wife hasn't made the 5.5 hour drive out to Pittsburgh for a Steeler game in several years...sometimes it requires a bit of a subtle arm-twist to get her to make the 45 minute drive to Wilkes-Barre to see our local AHL Penguin affiliate for a hockey game).

A few years ago, I might have taken each kid to one game each per year, but recently, one of the kids have been going with me for essentially half the home schedule with me instead of my father.

Now my son will be graduating from high school in a couple of months and should be leaving for the Air Force at the end of the summer. So he won't be an option to attend any of these games for a while during this service time. My wife has no desire whatsoever to start making that drive with me again, and while my daughter does enjoy a game or two out in Pittsburgh each season, you can't expect a teenage girl (she's finishing up middle school now and will be a high school freshman in the fall) to spend every other weekend driving across the state and back with her father for a football game. I've taken friends and coworkers out there occasionally, but you have to be really devoted to make such a trek.

So, when my dad decides to call it quits and watch home games from his recliner rather than section 525, that will likely be it for me out there as well. We received our 2019 invoice already, but have not paid it just yet. I imagine that we will likely re-up for this season (he hasn't completely made his mind up one way or the other for this year yet), but then take it year-by-year thereafter. I guess I could still use the TicketExchange to buy tickets to a game or two each year, but it won't quite be the same. Oh well. Thanks for the opportunity to allow me to vent a little...
Sorry to hear that about your dad, but I understand about the pain it can make the most enjoyable thing a real drag.

Oviedo
04-05-2019, 02:22 PM

Actually I think the Baby Shark song would be hilarious for him

SidSmythe
04-05-2019, 04:46 PM
Actually I think the Baby Shark song would be hilarious for him

It's in our heads already so................might as well.

fordfixer
04-05-2019, 04:51 PM
Ummm some of us don’t know this song.

Northern_Blitz
04-05-2019, 05:02 PM

My 18 month old goes crazy when she hears this song. It's like crack for her.

Edit: for anyone interested who doesn't know this song. I think this is the original, but there are an insane amount of versions online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqZsoesa55w

Captain Lemming
04-05-2019, 11:21 PM
Exactly.
I need to see him make a significant leap this year.

Well he did a 32-inches vertical just like Juju in the 2017 combine. :)

Captain Lemming
04-05-2019, 11:27 PM

It would actually be pretty hilarious.......seeing a stadium of mostly grown dudes singing that song whenever the kid does something. :)

RobinCole
04-06-2019, 07:55 AM
I wish Switzer had gotten the ball instead of Ridley against the Saints.

SidSmythe
04-06-2019, 09:23 AM
I wish Switzer had gotten the ball instead of Ridley against the Saints.

I would rather seen Tommy Maddox running Mularkey's Double Reverse Flea Flicker using a pitch to Lee Mays, then a pitch to Cedrick Wilson who pitches it back to Maddox (behind their 1950s OL) who then tries to hit Dwight Stone(hands) deep than Ridley on that play.

hawaiiansteel
05-01-2019, 04:07 PM
Ryan Switzer: Not Getting Return TD Last Season ‘Bothers Me A Lot’, Wants To Rectify It In 2019

By Matthew Marczi
Posted on May 1, 2019

While he did manage to find a role on the offense, in large part simply because Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger happened to take a liking to him both on and off the field, the reason that the team brought in Ryan Switzer via trade in late August was because they wanted to bolster their return game without relying on JuJu Smith-Schuster to do the kick returns as he entered his first season as a full-time starter.

Switzer had success both in college at North Carolina and during his rookie season with the Dallas Cowboys in 2017 as a returner, functioning both in the kick return game as well as doing punt returns. The last player the Steelers tried to have in both roles was Jacoby Jones, who failed spectacularly and was released mid-season after being acquired mid-season.

But Switzer’s numbers, seen in a vacuum, were unquestionably bad in 2018 in the return game. They were just bad and there is no way nor reason to sugarcoat them. That is as reflective on the unit as a whole as it is on Switzer individually, but primarily, most likely, on the lack of familiarity with one another. He wants to change that this year, starting with breaking one for a score.

“It actually bothers me a lot, because not only with Dallas, but even every year in college I had played, whether it be called back or not, we as a return unit had had a touchdown”, he told Kristine Leahy about not getting a return touchdown with the Steelers a year ago.” So those were the expectations that were set for me coming in to Pittsburgh. We didn’t get one as a unit”.

“We were close a couple times, but nowadays it’s really hard”, he went on. “I don’t know how many returns there were in the league for touchdowns this year, but they’re limited because of the skill on the other team, the skill of the punter, so it was tough. But it’s definitely something that I’m looking forward to accomplishing this coming season for sure”.

While not an incredibly frequent occurrence, return touchdowns are far from unfamiliar in Pittsburgh. Smith-Schuster had a kick return touchdown in the season finale in 2017, though it was their first since Antonio Brown had one on his first-ever touch in Week Two of 2010. In between then and through 2017, though, Brown returned four punts for touchdowns, most recently in 2015.

Switzer only averaged 8.8 yards per punt return as a rookie with Dallas, but he also averaged 25 yards per kick return. With the Steelers a year ago, he only averaged 8.4 yards on 30 punt returns with a long of just 23 yards, while posting at 20.2-yard kick return average, the longest being 35 yards.

Pittsburgh would like to see a significant upgrade in that area, and Switzer may be challenged for the return role, as rookie third-round pick Diontae Johnson was also a college returner with four return scores in the past two seasons, two of each variety. Switzer returned seven punts for touchdowns at North Carolina. He only had two kick return attempts.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/ryan-switzer-not-getting-return-td-last-season-bothers-me-a-lot-wants-to-rectify-it-in-2019/

RuthlessBurgher
05-01-2019, 07:32 PM
Ryan Switzer: Steelers, Big Ben believed in me
By Charean Williams | May 1, 2019, 6:42 PM EDT

Ryan Switzer is entering his third season and already he has played for three teams. The receiver hopes he has found a home in Pittsburgh after a brief stop in Dallas and an even more brief stint in Oakland.

The Cowboys drafted Switzer in the fourth round in 2017. Dallas used him primarily as a return specialist, with Switzer seeing only 92 offensive snaps and catching but six passes for 41 yards as a rookie.

The Cowboys shipped him to Oakland before last offseason, reuniting him with special teams coach Rich Bisaccia. Switzer, though, lasted only four months with the Raiders before they dealt him to the Steelers the week of the final preseason game.

Despite his late arrival to Pittsburgh, Switzer caught 36 passes for 253 yards and a touchdown, while also returning punts and kickoffs last season.

“I didn’t surprise myself, but I am sure I surprised others,” Switzer said, via Teresa Varley of the team website. “There was a stigma that was created before I got here that I was just a return guy. It was hard for me because I spent four years in college doing so many things on the offensive side of the ball. A new environment can be good for everybody. To be around an organization that believed in me, a coaching staff that believed in me, and players that believed in me. That was the biggest thing. They allowed me to spread my wings, be who I am.

“I always knew how to play the receiver position. I think that got lost last year because of a stigma that was they put on me elsewhere as being just a return specialist guy. The Steelers who evaluated me coming out of the draft, they knew the production I had in college. For them to trust that, even though I wasn’t used like that in Dallas, meant a lot. The first week I was here coach [Mike] Tomlin made sure I knew that I wasn’t just here to be a return guy. Throughout the year I grew because of the guys that were around me, the guys I was able to watch. Then I grew because of Ben [Roethlisberger]. He took time with me individually to make sure I was on the same page with him. He took the time to make sure we knew about each other, learned about other, made sure I knew what he wanted, and he knew how I saw things.”

With a full offseason with the Steelers, Switzer expects to produce even more in 2019.

NorthCoast
05-01-2019, 08:49 PM
Personally I think Switz will hang on. Rogers on the other hand may be odd man out.

RuthlessBurgher
05-01-2019, 10:41 PM
Personally I think Switz will hang on. Rogers on the other hand may be odd man out.

Nah... we'll keep 6 WR (Juju, Moncrief, Washington, Johnson, Rogers, and Switzer).

hawaiiansteel
05-01-2019, 10:53 PM
Switzer: 'It's a joy to be here'

Teresa Varley
STEELERS.COM
Wednesday, May 01, 2019

Football is a game.

It’s supposed to be fun. It’s supposed to be enjoyable and entertaining.

And for Ryan Switzer, last year that was finally the case.

Switzer was acquired by the Steelers via a trade with the Oakland Raiders at the end of the preseason last year, and went from the lowest point of his career to the most fun he has ever had playing the game.

“I know it’s weird saying it was that much fun because we went 9-6-1 and we missed the playoffs. But honestly it was one of the most enjoyable times I had,” said Switzer. “It was because of our receivers room, guys like Coach (Darryl) Drake, Coach Randy (Fichtner), Danny Smith. It was a joy to come to work. It was a joy to be here. It wasn’t one of those things where you wake up in the morning and are dragging out of bed. It is a joy to be here. It makes me happy and excited for next year.”

Switzer, who when he arrived the initial thought from many was he was being brought in a return specialist, quickly proved that theory wrong as he got more and more involved with the offense.

Prior to arriving in Pittsburgh he had six career receptions for 41 yards. Switzer finished the 2018 season with 36 receptions for 253 yards and a touchdown.

“I didn’t surprise myself, but I am sure I surprised others,” said Switzer. “There was a stigma that was created before I got here that I was just a return guy. It was hard for me because I spent four years in college doing so many things on the offensive side of the ball. A new environment can be good for everybody. To be around an organization that believed in me, a coaching staff that believed in me, and players that believed in me. That was the biggest thing. They allowed me to spread my wings, be who I am.

“I always knew how to play the receiver position. I think that got lost last year because of a stigma that was they put on me elsewhere as being just a return specialist guy. The Steelers who evaluated me coming out of the draft, they knew the production I had in college. For them to trust that, even though I wasn’t used like that in Dallas, meant a lot. The first week I was here Coach (Mike) Tomlin made sure I knew that I wasn’t just here to be a return guy. Throughout the year I grew because of the guys that were around me, the guys I was able to watch. Then I grew because of Ben (Roethlisberger). He took time with me individually to make sure I was on the same page with him. He took the time to make sure we knew about each other, learned about other, made sure I knew what he wanted and he knew how I saw things.”

That relationship with Roethlisberger, one which had Switzer thanking him at the end of the season, led to a lot of the success the second-year receiver had, talking to him whether it was in practice, meetings, or off the field.

“If he wasn’t practicing he would be looking to make sure we are on the same page,” said Switzer. “He reached out a bunch. He didn’t know me from anything. My wife got into a car accident on a Friday and the first person that reached out was Ben. It meant a lot. He was one guy on this team I felt bad when I didn’t get the job done. I didn’t want to let him down because I knew he trusted me and was expecting me to come through for him.

“It took time to earn that trust. You have to earn trust. You do that through experience. You do that through proving people right. Whether that’s proving Ben right when he throws you the ball and you are where you are supposed to be. Whether it’s proving the coaching staff right when they put you out there and they expect you to get the job done. It means for the majority of the season I did my job and I did what I was called to do.”

This offseason is going to be a huge one for Switzer. After arriving at the last minute at the start of last season, he will have an entire offseason to work with his teammates and be a part of a key bonding time.

“On the field I was able to be who I am,” said Switzer. “I believe I am just scratching the surface with this team, with Ben. I see a bright future for myself and this team. I am looking forward to it. I was happy with what I did last year, but I will be looking to expand on that. It’s going to be huge having OTAs, training camp, being around the guys. Being around someone five or six months, you don’t fully know them. The more they get to know me, I am hoping the more they see everything I can do and the more value they see I can be to this team.”

https://www.steelers.com/news/switzer-it-s-a-joy-to-be-here

SteelBucks
05-01-2019, 11:16 PM
Nah... we'll keep 6 WR (Juju, Moncrief, Washington, Johnson, Rogers, and Switzer).

Yep.......

Ghost
05-02-2019, 07:13 AM
How can you not root for this guy? I hope he takes a couple to the house this season.

Oh wow
05-02-2019, 07:58 AM
How can you not root for this guy? I hope he takes a couple to the house this season.
Yup. I have a feeling he is in for some stiff competition this year.

He needs to show out in preseason.

Steel Maniac
05-02-2019, 08:30 AM

We could carry six WR's but if one does go, I think it will be Rogers as well.

Steel Maniac
05-02-2019, 08:31 AM

Sure would be nice if our special teams could get us 2-3 TD's this year.

flippy
05-02-2019, 08:34 AM
I predict a big year for Switzer. He came in last minute for us last year and finally has an offseason and I think it's going to make a huge difference.

He started playing WR at UNC and had a similar first season with about 20-30 catches which he ratcheted up to about 90-100 catches in his senior season. He started out as just a return guy in college. Although there he had 5 punt return TDs in his first season, but he really developed into a reliable receiver over time.

There's a reason Ben spends time with him. He runs good routes. He has good hands. And he's quick and good at breaking off to get separation underneath. He really has a lot of similarities to Johnson who we just drafted. They compare similarly in their combine numbers, but where Switzer separates himself is quickness. I think his 3 code and 20 and 60 yard shuttle numbers were the top WR in his draft at the combine and probably would have been #1 or very close again this year.

Switzer's really underrated. And the more time he has in the O and the more chances he gets, the more we will all see his quickness. It's real and he's got some natural ability others can only dream of. But he's tiny, has relatively short arms, and isn't a speedster. But with his quickness and work ethic, I think those are things he can overcome, but just needs time in a system and playing in the NFL.

I have a feeling this is going to be a breakout year for him.

Mick'sTeam
05-02-2019, 08:44 AM
My only concern is Switz, Rogers and Johnson all seem to offer relatively similar qualities. Do we keep 3 WR that kind of fit this mold, in addition to JuJu and Washington? Or is there an odd man out? Rogers perhaps?

Steel Maniac
05-02-2019, 08:46 AM
My only concern is Switz, Rogers and Johnson all seem to offer relatively similar qualities. Do we keep 3 WR that kind of fit this mold, in addition to JuJu and Washington? Or is there an odd man out? Rogers perhaps?

Washington has to prove it to me; I just don't see it in him. I want him to pan out but he looks slow (which is why so many contested balls) and not a great route runner. But a second year can bring growth so let's see if that is what happens.

ikestops85
05-02-2019, 11:57 AM

It seems like the Pats have an entire team of these types of receivers and they seem to do okay with it.

I know we don't have a burner on the team but I don't think we need one. I don't believe that you have to have blazing speed to get open deep. Jerry Rice being the ultimate example. Let the defense move up on our receivers and then watch Ben buy a second or two and hit the big play.

RuthlessBurgher
05-02-2019, 12:06 PM
If we drafted a stud TE like T.J. Hockenson to start alongside Vance McDonald in a base 12 personnel set (1 RB, 2 TE, 2 WR), then we might not have needed to keep 6 WR on our final 53 man roster.

But we did not do this, so our base offense will likely remain as an 11 personnel set (1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR). When we are using 3 WR on the field at the same time more often than not, it makes sense to keep 6 of them on our final roster.

Juju, Moncrief, Washington, Johnson, Rogers, and Switzer will all be wearing the black and gold in 2019.

It makes sense to me to have Rogers and Switzer battle it out to be our starting slot WR. One guy wins, and the other guy is his primary backup.

It also makes sense to me to have Moncrief and Washington battle it out to be a starting outside WR opposite Juju. One guy wins, and the other guy is his primary backup.

Juju would be the other outside starter, obviously, and we could have Diontae Johnson learning and adjusting to the pro game as Juju's primary backup as a rookie.

RuthlessBurgher
05-31-2019, 11:58 AM
Ryan Switzer nearly quit football last year

Posted by Mike Florio on May 31, 2019, 6:32 AM EDT

After a pair of hot-potato trades following only one season in the NFL, Steelers receiver Ryan Switzer came very close to walking away from the game. A brief encounter with Steelers coach Mike Tomlin not long before the season opener changed that.

“We are playing Cleveland in three days, and he says to me, ‘Make sure you get your sh-t together because you are going to be in there a lot,’” Switzer told Mark Kaboly of TheAthletic.com regarding remarks made in the aftermath of the trade that sent Switzer from Oakland to Pittsburgh less than two weeks before Week One.

“Now, I am thinking I am just going to come here and catch some punts and some kicks and be kind of an afterthought,” Switzer said. “It was like ‘Wow!’ He didn’t care where I came from and what they thought of me, and he puts me out there Week One against Cleveland [for seven offensive snaps] because he has trust in me. . . .

“I have always been a guy who if you show trust in me, I will run through a brick wall or die trying,” Switzer said. “For him to do that, I felt really good.”

Few knew that Switzer, a West Virginia speedster who had a standout career at North Carolina but who then was traded from the Cowboys to the Raiders after only one year and then to the Steelers before ever playing for Oakland, was thinking about packing it in.

“It was more than I didn’t think I belonged anymore,” Switzer told Kaboly. “I have never had somebody not want me before. I have never been through a trade, I have never been through a team basically telling me that they didn’t have a need for me. I took a hit in confidence and my mindset.”

Switzer explained that he believed he was “letting [his] wife down” after moving from Dallas to Oakland and then to Pittsburgh.

“I felt really bad,” Switzer told Kaboly. “I told her that this isn’t worth me feeling like this anymore.”

Helping Switzer make the transition is the fact that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (to whom Switzer refers as “7” not as “Mr.”) took a liking to him.

“I don’t know why he chose me to try to pick me up and get me involved, but he did and I am grateful for that and I don’t take that for granted,” Switzer said.

He now has an opportunity to help fill the void created by the trade to Oakland of a guy who took a strong disliking to Roethlisberger in recent months. And if Switzer can continue to develop as a slot receiver, he could have a long and fruitful career roughly 220 miles up I-79 from where he grew up.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/31/ryan-switzer-nearly-quit-football-last-year/

Northern_Blitz
05-31-2019, 12:12 PM
Ryan Switzer nearly quit football last year

Posted by Mike Florio on May 31, 2019, 6:32 AM EDT

After a pair of hot-potato trades following only one season in the NFL, Steelers receiver Ryan Switzer came very close to walking away from the game. A brief encounter with Steelers coach Mike Tomlin not long before the season opener changed that.

“We are playing Cleveland in three days, and he says to me, ‘Make sure you get your sh-t together because you are going to be in there a lot,’” Switzer told Mark Kaboly of TheAthletic.com regarding remarks made in the aftermath of the trade that sent Switzer from Oakland to Pittsburgh less than two weeks before Week One.

“Now, I am thinking I am just going to come here and catch some punts and some kicks and be kind of an afterthought,” Switzer said. “It was like ‘Wow!’ He didn’t care where I came from and what they thought of me, and he puts me out there Week One against Cleveland [for seven offensive snaps] because he has trust in me. . . .

“I have always been a guy who if you show trust in me, I will run through a brick wall or die trying,” Switzer said. “For him to do that, I felt really good.”

Few knew that Switzer, a West Virginia speedster who had a standout career at North Carolina but who then was traded from the Cowboys to the Raiders after only one year and then to the Steelers before ever playing for Oakland, was thinking about packing it in.

“It was more than I didn’t think I belonged anymore,” Switzer told Kaboly. “I have never had somebody not want me before. I have never been through a trade, I have never been through a team basically telling me that they didn’t have a need for me. I took a hit in confidence and my mindset.”

Switzer explained that he believed he was “letting [his] wife down” after moving from Dallas to Oakland and then to Pittsburgh.

“I felt really bad,” Switzer told Kaboly. “I told her that this isn’t worth me feeling like this anymore.”

Helping Switzer make the transition is the fact that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (to whom Switzer refers as “7” not as “Mr.”) took a liking to him.

“I don’t know why he chose me to try to pick me up and get me involved, but he did and I am grateful for that and I don’t take that for granted,” Switzer said.

He now has an opportunity to help fill the void created by the trade to Oakland of a guy who took a strong disliking to Roethlisberger in recent months. And if Switzer can continue to develop as a slot receiver, he could have a long and fruitful career roughly 220 miles up I-79 from where he grew up.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/31/ryan-switzer-nearly-quit-football-last-year/

Sounds like good examples of leadership from both Tomlin and Ben

hawaiiansteel
05-31-2019, 12:49 PM
Washington has to prove it to me; I just don't see it in him. I want him to pan out but he looks slow (which is why so many contested balls) and not a great route runner. But a second year can bring growth so let's see if that is what happens.

he's a hard worker, I believe Washington will have a very good season.

fordfixer
05-31-2019, 06:35 PM
Sounds like good examples of leadership from both Tomlin and Ben
Can’t be. Neither are good leaders haven’t you been paying attention .:D

hawaiiansteel
05-31-2019, 08:25 PM
Can’t be. Neither are good leaders haven’t you been paying attention .:D

https://i.imgur.com/cOWxsuq.jpg

Oh wow
06-01-2019, 08:04 AM
I hope Switzer doesn’t retire if we release him. I know he feels like he let his wife down but as long as he gets picked up by a team he is making more money than 90% of Americans.

RuthlessBurgher
06-17-2019, 11:40 AM
Ryan Switzer cools down Steelers minicamp with ice cream truck

Jun 12, 2019

Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

PITTSBURGH -- After catching passes from Ben Roethlisberger during Pittsburgh Steelers minicamp, Ryan Switzer beat soft-serve coverage in the parking lot of the team facility.

Switzer treated players and employees to Bruster's Ice Cream after Wednesday's practice. The Bruster's truck pulled up shortly after practice and quickly drew a crowd.

Switzer said he's a big fan of Bruster's, an ice cream chain headquartered in Bridgewater, Pennsylvania, so he figured give the company some love.

"Plus the guys like it," he said.

Switzer has hired the truck for appearances multiple times since joining the team via trade from the Dallas Cowboys in August.

Several players have said this year's Steelers are "team-oriented," and this gesture only helps.

Switzer plays multiple roles for the Steelers, having caught 36 passes for 253 yards and one touchdown last season along with six rushes for 21 yards, and 859 yards in kick and punt returns.

https://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/30879/ryan-switzer-cools-down-steelers-minicamp-with-ice-cream-truck

Oh wow
06-17-2019, 12:02 PM
Now that’s how you stay on a team.

Northern_Blitz
06-17-2019, 12:16 PM
I hope Switzer doesn’t retire if we release him. I know he feels like he let his wife down but as long as he gets picked up by a team he is making more money than 90% of Americans.

I think we keep Switzer over Eli... And maybe both.

I think it's probably something like: Juju, Moncrief, Washington, Johnson, Switzer,... then Rogers or Spencer (I think Rogers)

Oh wow
06-17-2019, 03:34 PM
I think we keep Switzer over Eli... And maybe both.

I think it's probably something like: Juju, Moncrief, Washington, Johnson, Switzer,... then Rogers or Spencer (I think Rogers)

Not sure. Depends on if Johnson shows something as a returner.

I think Eli is the better WR with a bigger target for Ben.

While Switzer was pretty reliable as a punt returner he wasn’t a threat and his YAC was pretty unimpressive.

rpmpit
06-18-2019, 12:37 PM
If it means anything, Switzer was at Ben's youth camp on Sunday. Johnson was there too. From what we saw last year, it looked like Switzer was becoming one of Ben's favorite targets. And Ben spoke highly of him on Sunday.

I don't think he's going anywhere. I made a bold prediction to Armpit Jr. on Sunday... Ryan Switzer, Super Bowl 54 MVP. Mark it down :tt2

Steel Maniac
06-18-2019, 02:06 PM
If it means anything, Switzer was at Ben's youth camp on Sunday. Johnson was there too. From what we saw last year, it looked like Switzer was becoming one of Ben's favorite targets. And Ben spoke highly of him on Sunday.

I don't think he's going anywhere. I made a bold prediction to Armpit Jr. on Sunday... Ryan Switzer, Super Bowl 54 MVP. Mark it down :tt2

I love it!! Switzer MVP! Speak it into reality.

hawaiiansteel
07-16-2019, 03:56 PM
Ryan Switzer working to perfect role as slot receiver for Steelers

JONATHAN BOMBULIE | Monday, July 15, 2019

Last season ended with New England’s Julian Edelman carrying his Super Bowl MVP trophy to Disney World.

When free agency opened, teams were quick to sign players such as Golden Tate, Adam Humphries, Jamison Crowder and Danny Amendola to lucrative, multi-year contracts.

The evidence has piled up for years. The case is closed. The NFL is in the midst of a golden age of slot receivers.

A movement that was the brainchild of Al Davis with the Oakland Raiders in the 1960s and was popularized by players such as Wes Welker and Troy Brown with Tom Brady’s Patriots in more recent years shows no signs of slowing down.

“They’re getting paid now more than they ever have, I guess,” Pittsburgh Steelers slot receiver Ryan Switzer said with a laugh. “I think Wes kind of jump-started it. People saw the things he was doing on the field. They saw how quarterback friendly he was, and since then, there’s just been a plethora of guys who have come in.”

The Steelers, meanwhile, are in the middle of a transition year in the slot.

While Switzer and Eli Rogers generally are pigeonholed as slot receivers in the Steelers offense because they fit the stereotype better – smaller and quicker with good hands – Antonio Brown and JuJu Smith-Schuster routinely lined up there last season. Only three NFL receivers ran more routes from the slot than Smith-Schuster a season ago, and Brown caught 33 balls on 44 targets when he was deployed there.

With Brown off to Oakland, it stands to reason Smith-Schuster will run more routes outside the numbers, leaving reps in the slot up for grabs. Wide receivers coach Darryl Drake said that characterization might be an oversimplification of the Steelers offense, however.

He said Smith-Schuster, Switzer, Rogers, third-round pick Diontae Johnson and free-agent acquisition Donte Moncrief will play in the slot.

“The slot position is an accumulation of where we want to put a guy, what we feel like a guy can do, whether a guy can get open off a linebacker or work off a nickel,” Drake said. “With our offense, it’s so interchangeable.”

However the reps are handed out, Switzer is volunteering for duty.

The 5-foot-8, 185-pound West Virginia native entering his third NFL season has dedicated himself to perfecting the slot receiver’s craft.

“It takes a different kind of guy to work the middle of the field, be able to be on the same page as the quarterback,” Switzer said. “There’s a lot of different reads and a lot of different adjustments you’ve got to make in the middle of the field. I’m getting the hang of it. I’m, obviously, not there yet, but I’m working on it.”

Switzer said playing in the slot requires receivers to study film, know coverages, make correct reads before and after the snap and trust their instincts. Experience helps.

“The more reps that you get, the more game experience you get, the better the feel and the better you get,” Switzer said. “It helps when you’ve got a quarterback who’s done it for a long time and has a lot of experience in that area. He’s kind of molded me as the year went on. I’m learning from those experiences. Hopefully, we’ll put them to the test this year.”

Playing in the slot also requires courage.

Defensive backs might not try to decapitate receivers coming over the middle like they once did, but it still is a dangerous part of the field to play. The concussion Switzer suffered on a hit by San Diego linebacker Jatavis Brown in December is proof positive of that.

“Obviously, the rules have changed, but the rules have changed more so for after (the fact),” Switzer said. “Just because the rule changed last year didn’t take away from the fact that I had a concussion. They may have got fined or something like that, but the hit still happened.”

https://triblive.com/sports/ryan-switzer-working-to-perfect-role-as-slot-receiver-for-steelers/

RuthlessBurgher
07-17-2019, 10:17 AM
Ryan Switzer wants to own slot receiver role for Steelers

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on July 17, 2019, 12:39 AM EDT

The last time Le'Veon Bell and Antonio Brown played a full season together in Pittsburgh in 2017, they combined for 3,479 yards from scrimmage and 18 touchdowns for the Steelers. Brown then 1,297 yards and 15 touchdowns by himself last year with Bell in a season-long hold out.

Now both are gone and the Steelers will have to find a way to replicate that production in their absence.

Ryan Switzer wants to step up and take command of the slot receiver as the Steelers offense looks to retool itself in 2019. The key to doing so is taking his chemistry with Ben Roethlisberger to the next level.

“It takes a different kind of guy to work the middle of the field, be able to be on the same page as the quarterback,” Switzer said, via Jonathan Bombulie of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “There’s a lot of different reads and a lot of different adjustments you’ve got to make in the middle of the field. I’m getting the hang of it. I’m, obviously, not there yet, but I’m working on it.”

Switzer is about to enter his third season in the NFL and second with Pittsburgh. The former fourth-round pick of the Dallas Cowboys in 2017 was traded to the Oakland Raiders in April and the Steelers in August. Switzer managed to carve out a more regular role with the Steelers offense than he had in his rookie season in Dallas. Switzer caught 36 passes for 253 yards and a touchdown last year for Pittsburgh.

Switzer had to get up to speed with Roethlisberger and the Steelers offense in short order after being traded at the end of training camp. Now in year two with Pittsburgh, Switzer feels better prepared to take on a bigger role.

“The more reps that you get, the more game experience you get, the better the feel and the better you get,” Switzer said. “It helps when you’ve got a quarterback who’s done it for a long time and has a lot of experience in that area. He’s kind of molded me as the year went on. I’m learning from those experiences. Hopefully, we’ll put them to the test this year.”

However, Switzer isn’t the only receiver that will got a shot at the role in Pittsburgh. JuJu Smith-Schuster and Donte Moncrief will still see time lining up inside at times and Eli Rogers and rookie Diontae Johnson will get turns inside as well.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/17/ryan-switzer-wants-to-own-slot-receiver-role-for-steelers/

Buzz
07-18-2019, 12:29 PM
What kind of place will Switz be in mentally if he gets beat out by the likes of Eli Rogers and/or Diontae Spencer?

hawaiiansteel
07-18-2019, 03:22 PM
What kind of place will Switz be in mentally if he gets beat out by the likes of Eli Rogers and/or Diontae Spencer?

https://media0.giphy.com/media/DdiqQoeseUOWc/giphy.gif

Captain Lemming
07-18-2019, 07:53 PM

I was thinking the same thing.

hawaiiansteel
08-05-2019, 03:02 PM
How close are Ryan Switzer and Ben Roethlisberger? Close enough for Patriots comparisons

BRIAN BATKO
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
AUG 5, 2019

Like the rest of the country, Ryan Switzer was watching Super Bowl LII, with New England Patriots receiver Julian Edelman catching pass after pass from Tom Brady on his way to MVP honors. What separated him from more than 98 million other Americans is that Switzer was on the receiving end of a text message from Ben Roethlisberger:

“Why can't we do this?”

Boy, if that doesn’t raise the bar for the 5-foot-8, 178-pound Switzer in his second season and first training camp with the Steelers.

Switzer looks enough like Edelman (5-10, 200) and figures to play the same position in Pittsburgh, a small but shifty safety valve working out of the slot. The Steelers traded for him late last August, sending a fifth-round pick back to the Oakland Raiders. North Carolina’s all-time leader in catches and receiving yards figured out his new system quickly enough to grab 36 of 44 targets for 253 yards and a touchdown, and with Antonio Brown gone, JuJu Smith-Schuster is the only Steelers receiver who was more productive last year in Pittsburgh.

“I just think he’s got the abilities to do that,” Roethlisberger said of his lofty challenge on Super Bowl Sunday. “I mean, that’s high praise, because Edelman’s a really good receiver. Obviously, he’s been doing it for a while and everything, but I believe [Switzer] can do that, too.”

At team headquarters on the South Side and at Saint Vincent College for camp, Switzer walks around like a mayor who looks like he could be an intern. Naturally, he’s easy to miss from a size perspective, but his personality doesn't just blend in. It stands out.

Switzer never fails to greet or thank anyone, from the field to the cafeteria, an embodiment of that “treat the janitor with the same respect as the CEO” quote. He calls reporters by name, asks team photographers about their puppies and is a go-to guy for community outreach. Three times since January, he has bought dessert for anyone working at the Steelers facility, in the form of an ice cream truck pulling up to UPMC Rooney Sports Complex.

“I don't know, man, I just enjoy life. You try to live every day like it’s your last,” Switzer said. “I know that’s cliche, but the older I’ve gotten — I’m still 24 years old, but I feel like I’m maturing and kind of understanding that there’s really all a deeper meaning to this than just football. I appreciate the relationship aspect of what this game gives us — the guys, the friends that I’ve met — so I just try to bring that and stress that upon them.”

But don’t just think of Switzer as a teacher’s pet in the receiving corps. In practice, his footwork and short-area quickness is always a problem for the opposing defensive back. As he continues to try to build a rapport with Roethlisberger, the Steelers see a path for utilizing his shiftiness and his burst all over the field, mostly inside but occasionally even in the backfield again this season — in addition to return duties.

“If you watch one-on-ones he’s been consistent as anyone,” said offensive coordinator Randy Fichtner. “Great separation for the ball to be thrown to him. You just love the talent, but more so it’s his whole makeup that makes him so special.”

Fichtner sees the affable, yes-sir-no-sir Switzer off the field, and says it’s not an act. Roethlisberger calls him “just a good dude [with] a good heart” who’s easy to root for, making sure to add that he’s also a good player.

“He’s wired that way,” Fichtner said. “The team feels that, too. Ben feels it. He’s just a really fun guy to be around.

“He’ll sit for two reps, let a young guy get a rep, and if a young guy wins on something, he says, ‘Man, that’s a good job,’ then it’s his turn. He’s the kind of guy who should be here.”

Even in a competition among a receiver room that includes the clear-cut No. 1, a veteran free-agent signing, a third-round rookie and a similar player in Eli Rogers, Switzer claims he’s not concerning himself with the numbers game. He insists that’s not why he hurt his quad Wednesday, had an MRI in the morning Thursday, then stunned Fichtner by being a full participant in practice that afternoon.

The play-caller had seen Switzer do that before, but Thursday he told Roethlisberger he didn’t think Switzer would be available that day, so Diontae Johnson would take his place in a certain personnel grouping. Next thing he knew, the rookie was walking into the huddle and there was No. 10, so Fichtner heard it from No. 7: “What are you talking about, Randy? Switz is going.”

“It’s a competition, but at the end of the day, there’s a balance, you know? … I feel like it wouldn’t be the human in you if you weren't excited for someone else’s success,” Switzer said. “I believe in good karma. I believe if you’re excited for someone else, good things happen to you.”

Of course, it helps to have the quarterback’s blessing, too. Switzer is working on that. Not only was he part of the group of skill players who visited Roethlisberger’s lake house in May, but Switzer and his wife, Gabie, accepted an invitation to have dinner at the Roethlisberger home over the summer.

It was to learn more about each other as people, given that Switzer was a late addition last summer, but didn’t hurt from a football standpoint, either.

“I think we’ve got a good relationship, good rapport,” Roethlisberger said. “You kind of have to with that inside receiver; it’s a little different. You’ve got to understand body languages, you’ve got to understand looks and feel and things like that. It’s probably the same thing Brady and Edelman have.

“You have to know those things, so you have to develop relationships and rapports with those guys. And they have to want it as much as I do, and he does.”

In the 2018 Steelers team picture, if you look at the front row, there’s Switzer, hands on his knees, sitting right next to Roethlisberger. It was taken less than three weeks after Switzer got to Pittsburgh last season, but he and Roethlisberger have only grown closer since, so might as well try to stay close to the quarterback again this year.

“That was kind of unscripted,” Switzer said with a laugh, “but that’s not a bad idea.”

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2019/08/05/ryan-switzer-ben-roethlisberger-tom-brady-extension-julian-edleman/stories/201908310005?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_ PGSportsNow

Mr.wizard
08-06-2019, 05:53 AM
The only thing that Switzer has in common with Edleman is that they are both white.

Shawn
08-06-2019, 07:08 AM
The only thing that Switzer has in common with Edleman is that they are both white. I personally believe Switzer has the skill set to be a special slot WR.

Ghost
08-06-2019, 08:31 AM
I agree Shawn. He’s got the ability and skills. Senior year at UNC he set their single season record with 96 receptions for 1,112 yards and 6 TDs. He left UNC as the career record holder in both receptions (243) & receiving yards (2,903).

Oviedo
08-06-2019, 09:01 AM
I personally believe Switzer has the skill set to be a special slot WR.
I agree. He is quick and has great hands

Oh wow
08-06-2019, 09:38 AM
The only thing that Switzer has in common with Edleman is that they are both white.

Basically. Until he turns it upfield and gets a better YAC he is just a slippery east west guy.

Iron City Inc.
08-06-2019, 10:27 AM
Switzer will need all of his A game because Rogers has been very good at camp both as a receiver and returner and the new kid on the block, Spencer, is impressive as a route runner n explosive 4.33 speed. Now Spencer has had a few ball hit his pads n that has got to be cleaned up but he is not far behind.

Steel Maniac
08-06-2019, 10:31 AM
We have the luxury of Rogers and Switzer. I think both can excel in the slot.

Oh wow
08-06-2019, 11:01 AM
Switzer will need all of his A game because Rogers has been very good at camp both as a receiver and returner and the new kid on the block, Spencer, is impressive as a route runner n explosive 4.33 speed. Now Spencer has had a few ball hit his pads n that has got to be cleaned up but he is not far behind.

Rogers should be the starter in the slot. Switzer should be the “slash” in our offense.